Somewhere Else Entirely -74-

Printer-friendly version

Garia takes on some more staff as they attempt to discover what happened to the tenth frayen. In order to investigate quietly she begins a census of the town which causes further confusion. Sookie has her first ride on Tixi and then a meeting is interrupted with alarming news...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

74 - The Census


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The next morning the crowd gathered in the carriage arch had about doubled from the previous day. Most of those who had come for the first time were adults although a few extra children had managed to find a way in to witness the strange happenings, with or without parental permission. All were silent most of the time, concentrating on the intense activity on the makeshift mat, with only the occasional indrawn breath or a hiss of surprise as an attack failed to reach its target.

Among those Garia noticed in the crowd was Brydas, standing beside two tall youths she assumed were his journeymen. She asked one of the Claw's servant boys to request that he stay behind when the morning's exercises were over.

This time she remembered to get Jenet to help her back into her skirt when they had finished.

"Milady," Brydas said with a bow, "what may I do for you today?"

"There is a delicate matter," Garia replied, casting a glance at the two youths.

Keren joined the small group, wiping his face with a hand towel.

"Ah! Your Highness," Brydas made another bow, this time accompanied by the youths. "Highness, Milady, may I present Tedenis, who is my wife's sister's son, and Briswin, eldest son of one of Blackstone's weavers. It would appear that both may be interested in becoming armsmen, milady." He frowned. "A delicate matter? Perhaps this was not the best time to introduce these boys to you."

"No matter," Garia said quickly, "it will wait." She smiled. "We have time to talk to these two while the yard is being cleared."

She looked at the two young men, sizing up their physical attributes in a way that would have shocked her even six months previously. Tedenis was slightly shorter but made up for the fact with wider shoulders, no doubt from helping at his uncle's forge. Both were reasonably well muscled and their gazes were alert enough that she did not think that either lacked in intelligence.

She asked them, "What is it you think we can do for you that staying in Blackstone would not?"

Tedenis replied, "Milady, I wish to see more of Palarand. I would like to become proficient with sword and bow, there is little need for either in Blackstone. I would learn if I may be of use to you, My Lady."

"I, too, wish to see what is beyond the valley of the Bray, milady," Briswin added. "I wish also to take service somewhere to improve my abilities at arms, since there is little need in the town. Milady, I am curious about the method of fighting without weapons you have shown us today."

"Very well. I am no expert in judging your fitness and abilities, but all of the armsmen I presently have come from the Palace Guard and I'm sure they can find out for me if you are going to be suitable to join them. Do you understand that if I take you on it is possible that you'll spend most of your life away from here? My life so far has been somewhat unsettled and I can't see that changing into the future. If you become my armsmen it is unlikely that you are going to spend your time walking castle walls. Will you be comfortable living away from the homes you have known?"

"Aye, milady, else we would not have come here today."

"As Ted says, milady, you offer us the chance to better ourselves."

Garia looked at Keren, who nodded. He turned to the two.

"You two are both accounted adults?"

"Highness, we are. I am seventeen and Briswin is eighteen."

Keren smiled at them. "Then you are both older than either of us, boys. I see no reason that you should not make fine additions to the Baroness's men-at-arms."

"Right," Garia said. "I'll have a good talk with you both later, perhaps, but this morning I think the best thing I can do is to let you speak with my men." She pointed. "Do you see the man on the left in green, with the short haircut?"

"Aye, milady."

"That's Brazan and he's temporarily in charge of my men while my commander is elsewhere. Go over to him and explain who you are and what you want while we have a word with Master Brydas, will you?"

Both banged fists on chests. "As you command, milady."

The three watched the youths walk off.

"Are you happy about this, Brydas?" Keren asked.

"Aye, Highness. There are always one or two in any town who find the town becomes too small for them. Better they are tested in the Baroness's service than making mischief in her town." He turned to Garia. "Milady, you mentioned a delicate matter?"

"Yes," she said, making sure they couldn't be overheard. "Yes, indeed. Last night Mistress Sukhana noticed something that we ought to have spotted days ago."

She explained about the missing frayen and Brydas surreptitiously counted up men and beasts on his fingers, finally nodding.

"Aye, milady, I should have noticed that also." He looked speculatively at Garia. "There must be some reason you have not immediately begun a search."

"If this frayen actually exists then someone must have, hmm, acquired it, shall we say. There is a chance that person was friendly to Trogan's band. If we just do an all-out search of the town we might scare them off. I wondered if there was a quieter way to find it without alerting whoever has it." She frowned. "We are right, aren't we? There were ten of them with a frayen each?"

Brydas nodded. "Aye, milady. When Trogan and his men first appeared in Blackstone there were pack animals as well but I believe that the extra animals were taken back to Tranidor and sold when the men went there from time to time. Every man kept his own beast that I may recollect. I would guess that the missing beast probably belonged to Narrin. Sethan said that he was at the higher end of town when you arrived, seeking a repair to some harness work, I believe. After the battle when your party arrived he would naturally have hidden, only to be flushed from cover when we searched the next day."

Keren nodded. "And gotten himself killed falling off the roof."

"As you say, Highness. Now, as to the beast, I do not think that any in the town would acquire it, as you put it, since all knew there must be a proper reckoning once Trogan's rule was ended, as it surely would. If any had found the beast, one of the Assembly would have been told and thus milady in turn. Therefore, as milady suggests, whoever has the beast must be a sympathizer of Trogan."

"Perhaps," Keren said. "Perhaps someone who just saw an opportunity."

"Can you hide an extra frayen like that?" Garia asked. "Surely someone would notice?"

"Any frayen would need feed and pasture, milady. They would certainly be noticed. There are few secrets in a town this small."

Brydas gave Garia such a measured gaze as he spoke that Garia's cheeks reddened.

"I believe," Brydas continued, "that milady spoke some days since about making a list of the town, the people and the assets of each. Perhaps this is the way to flush your quarry, milady."

"You're right!" Keren said. "Garia, you did mention such a task."

She nodded. "A census, we would call it. Yes, we need to do such a thing in any case but it will be a good cover for our investigations."

"Will you require our assistance, milady?" Brydas asked.

Garia thought. "No, I don't think so. In fact, that's a good idea. Let me and my men do it and then you can have a look through the results and see if you notice any discrepancies."

Brydas grinned. "Milady, you have a flair for intrigue. If I may, I would make it known that such a telling is to be made, so that none may be alarmed when your men come to visit."

"As you wish, Master Brydas." Garia smiled at the smith and then groaned at a thought. "No, wait! That's not going to work! Making a census is going to involve people writing and I don't know how many of our men can do that. Yet." She screwed up her face in concentration. "I bet D'Kenik can but I don't know about any of the others. Keren?"

"I don't think any of mine can write well enough to record the details you desire, Garia. I don't know."

Brydas suggested, "Milady, why don't you and Milady Merizel do it yourselves? You are both well practiced in the Scribe's art, I have heard Jepp say so."

"I didn't want to, because think it will seem strange to the townspeople to have their own liege, herself, do a job that her staff ought to be doing. If Merry and I went up the street asking questions and writing down stuff what kind of impression do you think we'd make?"

Brydas bowed. "Milady, forgive me, you are right." He thought, then smiled. "Milady, I have had a thought. The two young men I brought with me today may serve. Since Tedenis has helped at my workshop, with the original intention of joining a guild, I have taught him the rudiments of smithcraft so I know he can write enough to be of assistance. Of Briswin's abilities I know less but if he were attached to your man D'Kenik I'm sure that you may find him useful."

Garia nodded. "That ought to be enough, then. Merry and I will think up some forms, perhaps with Master Jepp's help, and then we'll get started." She nodded thoughtfully. "This should allow us to find out if those two are going to be suited to life in House Blackstone. Thank you, Master Brydas, for your advice."

Brydas bowed again. "At your service, milady." He gazed at the courtyard, now being swept of the last few strands of hay by two of the stable boys. "What now, Highness, Milady? Do you attend your animals?"

Garia smiled but looked down at her sweat-stained tunic. "I will, Master Brydas, once I have bathed and changed. First, though, I have a commission for you. Jenet, would you go and fetch your bowler down for me?"

Jenet vanished up the women's stair and reappeared carrying her riding hat, which she handed to Garia. Brydas looked at it with a question in his eyes.

"Milady, I am a smith, not a maker of hats."

Garia smirked and handed it to him. Brydas's face changed as he took the unexpected weight. The smith turned it over, rubbing the material with his thumb and examining the inside of the crown.

"I see, milady. It appears as a normal item of headwear but it conceals a metal frame, is that so?"

"That's right. The King made us promise to wear some kind of protective headwear whenever we rode. This is one of the ideas I came up with. Mistress Sukhana will soon require a similar hat. I know that we'll need the seamstresses to finish it off but would you make the metal frame for it?"

"Of course, milady. Is this steel or iron?"

"Wrought iron, I think. I think Master Haflin wanted to use Star Metal but there wasn't enough available. The main point is that it must protect her head if she falls on it, and then protect her against being stepped on."

Brydas nodded. "As you say, milady. I do not think this task should prove so difficult to do. Of course, I must make the shape to fit Mistress Sukhana's head, must I not?"

"I don't think you'll have much problem getting her to let you measure her up," Garia said with a grin. "She can't wait to get on the back of the frayen we gave her. When her brother turns up with the saddle we ordered in Tranidor she'll be hanging round your workshop waiting for you to finish the hat."

Brydas smiled. "Then, milady, I'd best get started. If I may borrow this briefly as a template? With your leave? Highness."

He bowed and made for the kitchen, certain to find Sukhana busy inside. Garia turned to Keren.

"That's good. We'll have to organize the census but that can wait until we've visited our frayen. What happened to those two boys?"

"They went into the common room with our men," Keren replied. "They'll be safe enough there for now. Let's get cleaned up and changed ready to visit our beasts."

~o~O~o~

"Milady? You wish us to number the town?"

"It's not quite so simple as that, Tedenis. What I need you, Briswin and these two of my men to do is to visit each house and record on these sheets who lives there, their ages, dates of birth if known, relationship to each other, occupation and so on. Also the approximate size of the house, how many rooms, what animals they have and other details like workshops, barns, stables and other outbuildings. You can see we've written up at the tops of the sheets what information we want, so you won't have to keep remembering what to ask. D'Kenik? Are you happy with that?"

D'Kenik examined the sheet of parchment in his hand. "Aye, milady, this we can do." He looked at his companions. "It would not require four to do this task, milady."

"As you say. No, I'm making you into two teams of two. You can each take one side of the street, start at the bottom and work your way up to the top. It isn't a race so take your time and do the job properly. Once you've finished that we can decide what to do about the nearer farms and small-holdings."

"Milady, you place great trust in us," Briswin said.

"If you are to become a man-at-arms then the person you guard must have your trust, is that not so?" She smiled at the boy. "This is your first chance to show me that I can trust you.You'll be on familiar ground asking questions of people you know. D'Kenik will keep you company to make sure we get honest answers. I know you won't intend to cheat but some of those you ask might have things to hide, if you take my meaning."

Briswin bowed. "Thank you, milady. I just regret my letters are not good enough to write for you yet."

"I intend, in time, to make sure that all my staff can read and write. That's why you're with D'Kenik today, because I know he has already had a decent education." Garia turned. "Toranar, are you happy to follow Tedenis around? I'm sorry, we've been so busy over the weeks and months that I haven't had time to get you started with reading."

Toranar gave Garia a twisted smile. "Aye, milady. But remember, we are your armsmen first and your scribes second. I would rather you taught us more unarmed combat than face us with reed and ink."

"As it happens, I agree. One day soon, though..." She considered, then turned to D'Kenik. "Have you both enough sheets, do you think? There isn't a huge supply in Blackstone."

Her armsman nodded. "Aye, milady, we have enough for the town. By the time we come to visit the outer holdings Jaxen may have returned with a further supply."

She looked at him sharply. "Did you know I requested paper to be sent up?"

D'Kenik grinned. "Milady, we use so much it was not difficult to draw the conclusion. There has been much need for parchment and paper in Blackstone these last days."

She sighed. "I guess you're right. Good. Any questions, you can come and speak to me, to Milady Merizel or to Master Jepp, who helped us draw up the forms. I suggest you begin after lunch, okay? Oh! I almost forgot. Jenet? The sashes."

Garia's maid stepped forward with two sashes of green-on-green. Garia took them one by one and wound them around the waists of the two boys.

"There, you're official now. Don't make me have to take them off you."

The two boys straightened and thumped their chests.

"Milady, we shall not fail you," Tedenis said.

"It is an honor to serve," Briswin added.

~o~O~o~

The old man struggled to sit up in his bed but his visitors would have none of it.

"No, no! We can see that you are not well. Just rest easy, Master Steward."

"Highness, forgive me, I cannot give you the welcome you deserve."

"Do not strain yourself, Mesulkin. We were fortunate to arrive in time to release you from that evil place. Had we not, we might never have had this meeting. Rest easy in your bed, everything is in hand. Are you well attended?"

"Aye, Highness, I am. Though many are now busy most find time to call and exchange a few words with me. I have been kept informed of all that you and your lady have been doing in Blackstone. Such a wonder, eh? The healers have attempted their best though I do not think I will ever be the man I was before that... bandit came to ruin us. The man you see lying in front of you is a shadow of the steward I once was."

The speaker eased back onto his pillow, half propped in his bed. They could see that he was still lined, gaunt, and his skin was gray. The efforts of the town's healers had brought him back from the brink of death, it was true, but the kindest thing anyone could now do was to allow this faithful servant to live out his remaining days in peace. The eyes in that sunken face were bright, though, and they fixed on Keren's companion.

"Milady? You are the new Baroness?"

"I am, Master Mesulkin," Garia confirmed. "I was made a noblewoman by the King at the Harvest Festival for services rendered. I am sorry that news of the change was kept from you."

"You are so young, milady!"

Garia smiled. "So everyone keeps telling me. Where I come from they number the days differently and it has been difficult to figure out exactly how old I am. The King decided to make me the same age as His Highness here and we had our coming of age ceremonies the same day."

"So you are truly the liege of Blackstone now? It seems my stewardship is at an end."

"Master Mesulkin, if you had been sound of mind and body I might well have retained you as my own steward," Garia said. "As it is I am entirely happy for you to enjoy a well-earned retirement. If you wish you may stay here in Blackstone or we can transport you wherever else you wish to go. The next steward of Blackstone will need to be fit and healthy, I'm afraid. There are changes coming to Blackstone which mean the job of the next steward or two will be a much more demanding one."

"It could not be otherwise," Mesulkin agreed. "I have heard about your desire to mine away our coal. I regret that I am not able to be of service to you, My Lady."

"You never know," Garia said. "You still have much experience of the area and we can make use of that, if you would talk to us from time to time."

"As you desire, milady. I am told," he added, "curious tales about yourself, the half of which I do not believe. Do you really spar with the men of His Highness's guard each day?"

"It is true, Master Mesulkin, although we do not use weapons most of the time. When you are feeling a little better, perhaps we will bring you to the Ptuvil's Claw and you can see for yourself what the strange young foreign girl gets up to every morning with her men."

"Foreign? You do not speak as a foreigner does, milady."

"Perhaps not, though I had an accent when I first came to Palarand." She smiled. "It's not my accent that has everybody talking, it's all the new ideas I brought with me."

"Aye," Keren added. "Ideas the King fully agrees with and supports. That in part led us here in our quest for coal. What Garia has told us will turn Palarand, and eventually all Alaesia, on its head."

"I can only offer my desire that I may live long enough to see these changes, Highness."

"You are beyond the worst, Master Mesulkin," Keren said. "From today you can only improve."

Back in the street Garia turned to Keren.

"Seeing that poor man looking like that just makes me so angry," she said. "I'm really annoyed we couldn't get here sooner, stopped some of what happened."

"You cannot wish your life away on the thought of chances not taken," Keren replied. "Each day comes as it will and no man - or woman - can change what that day will bring. All we may do is to face each challenge the day brings us and hope that we may prove equal to that challenge. To wish that some other course was taken is folly, since that other course did not happen and will not happen."

Garia sighed, frustrated. "Yes, I know, but..."

"Perhaps you should take what happened as a lesson," Keren suggested. "Since what happened happened, consider what might have been done another way to prevent it, then apply that lesson to the future."

"As you command, Highness."

~o~O~o~

"Milady, these are the two girls who wish to serve as your maids," Sukhana said. "This is Lanilla and this is Jasinet."

The two girls curtseyed. Garia examined them with a very odd feeling.

Those two boys were different, somehow. If I was a girl I wouldn't have minded going out with either of them, I think. I'm not sure what I feel about sizing up girls this way. It's almost a cattle market. I'm taking on domestic staff, it's not the same as meeting someone like Merry and becoming friends.

Duh, I am a girl! But I wouldn't want to go out with those boys under these circumstances. Is this what they mean by the class system? Am I too good for any of these people now? How did that happen?

She sighed and shook her head.

"I'm sorry, girls, this still seems strange to me. Where I come from very few people have servants and I'm just not used to doing this yet. Has Mistress Sukhana explained what you would be expected to do here?"

"Aye, milady," Jasinet replied. "We are to assist your own maid in her duties to you."

"Just so," Garia agreed. "I'm sorry, but the work won't be very glamorous. I'm not sure exactly what you'll be doing but it probably won't be much different than what you did at home."

Jasinet was short, almost as short as Garia but almost twice as wide. She might have been two years older. Lanilla was almost her opposite, tall and slender, the younger of the pair.

"Milady, this we understand. If the work has to be done then someone must do it." She frowned. "Milady, how is it that you only have one maid between two? This we do not understand."

"Ah, yes. It's like this. When we left Dekarran things were somewhat complicated and Milady Merizel's own maid had to go back to the palace with the King and Queen. Jenet offered to serve both of us but it has become too much for her, especially away from base." Garia smiled. "No doubt you will hear the whole story some time but..." she waved a finger, "that story is not to be told in Blackstone under any circumstances, do you understand?"

Jasinet blanched. She protested, "Milady, we would never tell any secrets!"

Lanilla added, "If we are to be in your service, milady, then we know that we will learn things which should never be spoken of. Shall you require us to give an oath?"

Garia glanced at Jenet who nodded. "It seems that an oath is required in these circumstances." She smiled. "See? I didn't even know that. We'll organize a ceremony for your oaths later on when we have some witnesses around, okay? For now just tell me a little of yourselves."

There was not a great deal to tell. For two young girls, living in a town on the edge of civilization and, for the last eight or so months under the thumb of Trogan, most of their lives had been spent inside their homes, away from the gaze of any man not a relative. Both professed an interest to see the wider world, even if it meant traveling as servants to a noblewoman.

"Then it looks like I'll take both of you on," Garia told them. "I'm not sure what will happen when we leave here but I had thoughts of taking one with me, possibly two." She smiled at them. "That might mean you end up living in the palace, but don't count on that because I could easily spend some time traveling. If I don't take both of you all the way I'll make sure that I find somewhere you can become a proper maid, not just some young girl's washerwoman."

Jenet gave Garia an old-fashioned look which she ignored.

Garia continued, "It seems to be the day for handing out sashes, doesn't it? If I give you these, then everyone will know that you are supposed to be here and that you are members of my staff. Jenet?"

Garia handed out two more sashes from the small stock they had brought with them and then turned to Sukhana.

"Sookie, we must have room for these two to live in the Claw, surely?"

"Aye, milady. There are two more rooms up here on the women's floor that could be used, besides the space in the servants' quarters over the stables. Which would you prefer?"

"Hmm, as they will be personal maids they would be better off over here, I think. Jenet?"

"Milady, I think it is time that you and Milady Merizel had your bedchamber to yourselves. If I take these two and share the room next door, then you shall have more space and we will all be nearby at need."

"But, Jenet!" Then Garia remembered just where her maid had slept when she had first come to the palace and nodded sadly. It was time for things to change. "Very well, that's what we'll do. I'll leave it in your hands how you want to organize everything. Oh, and I must tell Brazan of the changes."

"As you desire, milady. And... I must ask for two more beds for your new staff, milady."

Garia gave her maid a wry smile. "It's never-ending, isn't it?"

"As you say, milady."

~o~O~o~

Garia looked at the pile of parchment on the table and put her head in her hands. Three days had passed and the census had been completed. Apart from some initial misunderstandings the whole affair had gone reasonably smoothly, at least the data collection phase of the operation.

"I just don't understand," she said. "How can an entire frayen just disappear? You don't think someone ate it, do you, bones and all?"

Keren tossed the reed he had been using to tick off columns onto the table and grimaced.

"You're right. We've been through these lists forwards and backwards and there's just no sign of it. Either it doesn't exist or it's been hidden so well we couldn't discover it."

"Or," Merizel pointed out, "someone has managed to take it out of town to hide it somewhere in the countryside. We haven't spoken to every farm all the way down as far as the forest, have we? And we haven't gone very far up Blackstone Vale either."

"Milady," the fourth person around the table spoke, "only two farms exist in Blackstone Vale since it is so remote. I doubt any has gone so far just to hide a beast." Brydas shrugged, holding his arms wide to show his bemusement. "I still fail to understand what use such a spare beast might be. The two who were with Sethan already have a spare, who else might have such a need of a beast that they would hide it so?"

Keren threw his arms up in frustration. "That's the whole point, isn't it? We know that beast ought to exist, our own numbers make it so. So where is it, and why is it being concealed?"

"Almost as important," Garia added, "somebody must be concealing it. Who, and for what purpose?"

Merizel asked, "We've ruled out Trogan's men, haven't we?"

"Almost," Keren said. "We know there were only ten of them all told. It is just possible the two survivors have found the missing beast and have taken it elsewhere to sell. Since most of their plunder was found still locked up in the Steward's house they may be short of coin to fund their escape."

"Then who else?" Garia asked. In a low voice she added, "Yod?"

"I cannot imagine," Keren replied emphatically, "that Yod has the least idea where you are, Garia. They certainly wouldn't have known that you were coming here before we arrived and only trusted men came to the town with Jaxen's caravan. No, that is a very unlikely chance, I think."

"Trusted men," she mused. "What about the two guildsmen? We don't know much about either of them."

"As you say. But Bezan left with Jaxen and Yarling has been busy climbing all over the mountainsides. Why would he need to keep a beast secret? He has his own here in the stables of the Claw."

"Highness, Milady," Brydas spoke diffidently, "I have heard you occasionally mention Yod. Might I ask what you speak of? Yod is very far from Palarand and even further from Blackstone."

"Very well," Keren said. "We'll tell you, Master Smith, but this is information that should go no further than this room. It's not secret, technically, but if it were to become known throughout the town it could upset people. When we've told you you'll understand why."

So Brydas had a more thorough explanation of what had happened to Garia since she had arrived on Anmar, including all the attacks, Garia's double and their journey north in disguise. At the end he nodded.

"You do not think that those people know you are in Blackstone, milady?"

"It is unlikely but not impossible. Eventually the fact that I am here will leak out and everyone will gradually find out where I am. By that time it shouldn't matter too much." She grinned at the smith. "That's one good thing about living in a small town, as you told me the other day. There are few secrets here so any strangers will stand out like a sore thumb."

"Until the mining gets going," Keren qualified.

"Yes, but by then we'll be on our way back to Palarand, I would guess," she said, "and with a good strong escort. We won't be traveling in secret like we did on the way up. I can't imagine we'll have trouble on the way home, can you?"

Keren opened his mouth to speak but Brydas beat him to it. "You know better than that, milady. Complacency is ever your biggest enemy."

Garia reddened. "I stand corrected, Master Brydas. I can assure you that on our way home we'll take nothing for granted."

"You have sent Jaxen to Tranidor with Bezan and instructions for works to be started," Brydas noted. "Once they begin spending coin there I doubt not that your presence here will become known."

"Possibly not," Keren said. "I spoke to both Jaxen and Bezan before they left and made it clear that the Baroness's name should not be mentioned unless it was unavoidable. When contracts are made or coin handed over they were to use my name instead. After all, it is Garia's whereabouts which must be obscured, not my own." He shrugged. "All will become plain in time, no doubt, but the longer we can delay the news of her presence here the better."

Brydas nodded. "As you say, Highness."

~o~O~o~

"I really like this!"

Sukhana twirled, allowing the circle skirt to fly out around her waist. The expression on her face was one that she hadn't used since she had stopped being a teenager. The others watched with appreciation.

"It makes you look entirely different, Sookie," Garia said. "I think, now that you're a respectable woman, you could experiment a little more with your styling."

"Me? Respectable? Hah!"

Sukhana grinned at her audience. The humans responded with smiles of their own, the three frayen merely looked on with interest.

"You may have a point," she continued. "I have spent so long wearing sober, serviceable, hard-wearing clothes for the road that I have begun to think proper gowns were for other people. Tell me, honestly, what do I look like in this attire?"

"Honestly?" Merizel responded, "Honestly, you look completely different, Sookie. Oh, perhaps your hair could do with a slight tidy up but I think you could grace any noble gathering and not seem a stranger. The pea coat and skirt take years off your age."

"Really." Sukhana's response was dry. "If any man had told me that I might have taken a knife to him, but from you, milady, it is a genuine compliment." She grew thoughtful. "Perhaps I might reconsider my future, ladies. If I am now, what was the word you used? Respectable. If I am respectable, I must needs consider my wardrobe. May I ask you both for your advice?"

Garia smiled again. "Perhaps, Sookie. You would be better off asking Merry or Jenet for advice, I am little better informed than you are."

"Milady, this is not true! These designs come from your world, do they not? It seems that everyone wishes to wear the skirts and gowns you bring from there. I therefore deem that you are more informed than they."

Garia bowed an acknowledgement. "If you insist. But, Sookie, you'll have to come back to the palace with us, won't you? It's only there we have the freedom to experiment. Here in Blackstone I've already had whispers that some think my skirts are too short."

"The palace? Do you really think I could?" Her expression became wistful. "Even for a short time? I'd be no bother..."

"There's weeks yet before we can decide that, Sookie. For today, you want to ride Tixi, don't you?"

"Milady, of course! That is why we're here. What must I do?"

"Mount up just like the men do. You're that much taller than me so you shouldn't need a mounting loop. Go on, grab hold of the saddle handles and lift your left foot to put it in the stirrup."

"Like this? It seems awkward. I would never be able to do this in an ordinary skirt, though."

Garia suggested, "Merry, why don't you climb on Topik, show Sookie how you do it. My mounting technique is slightly different so won't be as useful to watch."

Merizel put her left boot in the stirrup, heaved and smoothly swung over the saddle. Sukhana watched intently then made her own attempt.

"Whoa! Oooh. This is comfortable, isn't it? I hope my own saddle is as good as this. Wait! How do I get my right foot in... Ah, got it."

Sukhana straightened up and looked at Garia and Merizel.

"See, Merry?" Gari asked. "That was the exact expression on your face when you first managed to climb on Topik."

"Aye." Merizel turned to Sukhana. "Good, isn't it?"

Snep had his own opinion of the situation. He looked at Topik and Merizel and then at Sukhana sitting on Tixi before pointedly looking at Garia and then around at his own back. Garia gave him a fond smile.

"Okay, boy, I can take a hint."

She used her own particular method of mounting before turning to Sukhana.

"Any problems? Are the breeches comfortable? That was the one thing we weren't certain of. If the cutting was too far out you'd have wrinkles right where you wouldn't want them. No tight spots? No twisting?"

Sukhana slapped her left haunch. "I could do with a little more slack here," she reported, "but otherwise it seems a good fit, milady. So, now I have mounted, what is the next thing I must learn?"

"You are both learning together," Garia said. "You are both finding out how to adjust to each other's bodies. If I lead out, I reckon Tixi will just follow of her own accord. Merry, you bring up the rear and watch out for problems."

"As you wish, Garia. What shall you do?"

"It's the first time that Sookie's been on Tixi's back so we'll just keep it simple for today. We'll walk slowly round the yard to let them become accustomed to each other. Sookie, just keep talking to her, let her know you're happy with what she's doing and that you want her to keep on doing it. If she shows signs of stopping, just shake the reins and ask her to walk on as we do. Snep, boy. Let's show your lady friend how it's done. Walk on."

~o~O~o~

Tedenis had joined Stott standing guard outside the front entrance to the Claw. Brazan had decided to attach the youngsters to various members of the team to give them as broad an experience of the life of an armsman as possible, given the limits of their location. Stott, as a recent recruit, was most familiar with the procedures used in the palace for training and he was explaining them to the young man.

"Do you ride yet?"

"I can ride, sir, but I haven't for some while. While Trogan was around..."

"Yeah, I understand. That you know how is a good start. Have you seen the new saddles we use in milady's service? You'll take a week or so to get used to them but then you'll find they are much better than the traditional style. We was taught their use in the palace."

"Is that something else milady has introduced, then?"

"Aye, lad. She's only a tiny little thing to look at but she's cleverer than many a Questor and as smart as most guildsmen as well." Stott reddened, remembering his first meeting with Garia. "I thought she was just some stuck up noble girl with a pet frayen but she soon put me straight, I can tell you! She's gotten that beast of hers to do things I would never have believed if I hadn't seen them."

"I have seen her spar in the mornings, sir. To see her toss men twice her weight around is incredible! It is easy to imagine she can speak with the beasts."

"She's still a young girl, though, and needs our protection like any other. Those skinny swords of hers are only any good for close-in work and she can't pull a bow at all." Stott sized up the young man. "Now you, on the other hand, have a fair width of meat on your bones, do you not? Have you yet been tried with the bow?"

"Some years since, sir. In Blackstone there is scant need for the bow."

"Are there not wild animals hereabouts? How shall you defend yourselves?"

"Wild animals rarely come beyond the forest, sir. We have the occasional visit by grakh, according to season, but I understand a bow is no remedy for such creatures. Their hide is too thick, I am told."

"It is possible to down a grakh with an arrow but there are few who can hit such a target." Stott smiled. "It seems that I am one of the few."

Tedenis looked at Stott with skepticism but the archer returned his glance impassively.

"Look, boy, there are some things a man may boast of but even the King acknowledges my skill with a bow. I would give you and your friend a try-out, if I may. We can set up targets in the paddock behind the Claw and see if you have the talent for it. Whether it is the service of the King or of Baroness Blackstone, a skilled bowman can always find a place."

"Why, sir, thank you! I will tell Briswin of your offer. How is it you became so skilled, then?"

Stott flushed. "Ah, well, you see, lad, I was not always a guardsman of the King. In fact, I am a recent recruit, which is why we are put together today. Before I came to the palace, it was like this -"

"Sir," Tedenis interrupted. "Who comes? Look! A multitude approaches."

His finger pointed along the road into town. Stott turned, his eye widening in surprise. He spun to Tedenis.

"Look, boy, this is important! You go inside and find milady, tell her what approaches. I'll go in the carriage way and alert the other armsmen."

Tedenis thrust open the door and entered to find Garia, Keren, Merizel and Brydas seated together at the end of the room. He walked up to the table and saluted.

"Milady, an army approaches! It is difficult to see because of the dust but there are many mounted men and wagons!"

up
372 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Two senario's here

I suspect that this is Jaxen returning, however, it would appear that he is coming back with a much larger party than he started with.

The additions I suspect are due to the missing frayen. I suspect that the missing frayen was originally owned by the lawfully delegated Tax Collector. We have already seen that frayen are quite intelligent. It is possible that this particular frayen did something that horses that are loyal to their riders have been known to do and that is to go to the stable that it originally came from. If this is what happened then I suspect that the additional people coming back with Jaxen (if it is Jaxen) is an armed contingent from Duke Gilbanar who were sent out to find out why the TC's frayen had returned.

The other situation is that the additional members are from Duke Gilbanar but it is a group that got sent up in responce to Garia's missives back to Dekarran.

The time period is just enough time for either situation to have taken place. I really doubt that it could be a hostile force as any group that large would have been noticed and repelled long before it even got that far into Palarand. The way I see it, any large hostile force would be coming down the Vale from the plains up the valley not coming up the Vale from the Trade Route.

I agree with the previous assessments. Garia

likely has little to fear from the group which is arriving but it pays to be cautious.

One of my previous comments made note of the possibility of someone at Blackstone possibly being involved one way or another with Yod. Again, this is something to be concerned about should the previous two comments prove to be fruitless concerning the missing Frayen. Such a presence would tend to indicate that Yod was aware of the importance of coal; which would be likely to mean that they enountered someone who had similar knowledge to that which Garia possesses.

Of more distressing import in that case would be whether that unnamed and unknown person has or had knowledge of black powder (slow burn gunpowder vs white powder which is used now). while black powder is corrosive, it is fairly simple to make and was present on Earth several hundred years in our past so the time frame is about right. If they have sulfuric and Nitric acids then they could possibly make Nitrocellulose (using grasses and grains). Nitroglycerine might prove to be a little too unstable for them (disastrously so in fact), so dynamite is a ways off unless they come up with a means of drastically cooling the mix while they are stirring it (not to mention storing it).

Of course Yod is militaristic in it's outlook so they would favor the gunpowder and Nitrocellulose over some of the more 'mundane' efforts to help their populace. It's easier to steal what you want when you have a superior military and all that we have heard or encountered concerning Yod seems to land squarely in the schoolboy bully category.

Anesidora

Sulfuric acid is easy. You

Brooke Erickson's picture

Sulfuric acid is easy. You burn sulfur with saltpeter in a lead-lined chamber (lead chamber process). It's not as efficient as more modern methods but is easy to do.

You run the gases thru water and wind up with sulfuric acid. Distilling will concentrate it.

Nitric is gotten by reacting sulfuric with nitrates (like saltpeter) and going thru some purification processes I forget.

And as I recall, early dynamite was merely nitroglycerin absorbed into diatomaceous earth (a sort of clay). And I seem to recall that sawdust will do in a pinch.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Dynamite???

My concern was more for errors in the making of nitroglycerine. You don't just mix all the chemicals and hope for the best.

There is PROPER cooling (not too little - not too much) and rate-correct stirring involved among a few other "little" things which are not usually noted when the formula is described. The reaction is exothermic and will produce a very large "bang" (dependant upon exactly how much of the stuff one tries to produce at any one time) if not treated properly during the process. Hopefully Garia's enemies will learn this the hard way.
I also agree that Yod is not her only problem waiting to happen. My thoughts were that that nutso son of a Duke might decide to inherit early and go to Yod for support for his "bid" despite whatever the King might think he has to say about it all. With enemy soldiers occupying some of your territory, it is rather difficult to reclaim it however rightful that claim might be.

Again, as I have said before, it was (and sometimes still is) my job to see conspiracy behind every bush.

Anesidora ;)

New arrivals

While it's good the armsmen are alert and preparing themselves, given Garia's only been in town for about a week and it takes a couple of days travel to reach the nearest settlement, the chances of anyone managing to raise an invading army in that time are miniscule.

As others have said, it's far more likely this is the returning caravan - possibly with a few of the Duke's men for added protection. So there's probably little or no need to get worried. It's also just about possible there'll be the first correspondance from the Palace, given I think there'll have been just about enough time for the Palace-bound party to get back and settled plus Robinar and Terys to send correspondance back to Dekarran by the time Jaxen's caravan arrived. Even with Garia's new saddle allowing the possibility of an express messenger service, it would still take the best part of a week each way for correspondance to be exchanged between Blackstone and Palarand Palace.

Meanwhile, Garia's staff grows - two new trainee armsmen (who've already been put to use with the first census of the town) and two new trainee maids. I suppose for reasons of practicality and space as well as social class, it's more logical for Jenet and her two under-maids to have an adjacent chamber to Garia and Merry rather than all of them huddled together (unless they all moved to the dormitory!).

Also: Sookie's had her first riding lesson - if the approaching multitude is what we think it is, then she'll soon be riding around in style. Snep tickled me - he may not be able to communicate verbally, but he nonetheless communicated a request with crystal clarity! :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

grab the branch!

What a time for a cliff-hanger, hmm?

Unless it's a procession that left shortly after Garia, I don't see it being Gilbanar (or his people). Well, unless one of the missing men _did_ finally get there.

There hasn't been enough time since Jaxen left for Tranidor for messages to have reached Gilbanar AND for troops to be assembled and marched. Especially with wagons.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Plenty of Time for Jaxen to be Back

It's been at least 6 days (maybe more as this chapter has been very episodic) since Jaxen left. Possibly the balance of Garia's arms men are with them. It's not necessarily or likely to be an army.

Cliff Hangers!

Now I have to sit around another week watching my fingernails snap awaiting the next installment!

Oh well, the speculators are entertaining this time!

The Census seems to have only

caused confusion. Wonder how her four new recruits will do with the threat of the approaching army?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well

The son of Duke Gilbanar didn`t want Garia in this town. Yod wanted to capture or kill her.
The valley twists around itself and I really don`t know how far Blackstone is from Yod if you can cross the mountains (tunnel made with powder, perhaps?).
Sulfur, salt peter and charcoal are not so difficult to find, I don`t know much about gun powder, but the basic formula is reasonably well known and most people from our world would remember the ingredients.

I think you mean the son of

I think you mean the son of the Duke of Brikant, not North Palarand :)

Oh, yeah. If you don't know how to _make_ gunpowder properly, knowing the proportions isn't as useful as you might think. It's good for rockets, but not so great as a true explosive.

If you mix it dry, you get something that burns, but not well, and leaves a HUGE amount of residue (serpentine powder). If you mix it wet, then 'corn' it (corning), you get grains of gunpowder, which make it REALLY go bang. (probably from a grain the size of a barley corn. Corn as a name predates maize)

Something like ANFO might be easier (well, replacing aluminium nitrate with potassium or sodium nitrate)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Continues to be an awesome story

I agree with the other commentators that the incoming horde are likely friendlies.

The three dimensional quality of the world building continues to be first rate.

I am surprised though that there is no separate sash colors for the noobs like they do in the palace. The good part of recruiting from the town population is that it is reasonably sure that they have not been corrupted by Yod and in a small town, whether on is reliable will be readily known.

Kim

House colors

Garia's house is new in forming so I would imagine that as everyone of her present staff is new there is really no need to show new recruit status. For the Palace Guard it does make sense though since it is a full company of Armsmen who are all assigned to five separate Quadrants (platoons) and it would make sense to show a difference for the new accepted recruits. Oh, there is also the fact that at present, the two new Armsmen are probably not wearing the typical House Armsman uniforms as well as their sashes so this would show that they are new (they would at present be wearing whatever clothing they already owned with the sash over it).

Back up protection.

No one knows just what has been happening in the larger world. Maybe some new development or just common sense led the king or his brother to send supplies and extra staff and security people to help our lady of Blackstone settle any problems that may have come up. May be a tardy messenger finally got back to a settlement that could raise the alarm concerning the bandits presents in Blackstone. We are detracted by our Baroness and must remember that the crown prince is here as well. Maybe dad wants to protect his investment and check up on our fledgling lovers.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Danger from the Yodians?

Now I am concerned that those of Yod will come into the picture and make life hard for a while. I hope they have not sent enough men to capture and carry off Garia.

Gwendolyn

Another Fine Mess

terrynaut's picture

I'm sure it's not really a mess -- just a feeling I have.

Snep certainly is smart, and loyal, and wonderful. If he's grown fond of Tixi, Sookie will have to go with Garia back to the palace because Snep won't want to leave Tixie behind. How horrible for a frayen to have to choose between his rider and a girlfriend!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I wonder if this is Jaxen

I wonder if this is Jaxen, Uncle Gil's men or maybe something happened on the King and Queens trip back and the King has sent reinforcements. If they are friendly and a large party where are they going to stay.

Lots of questions, lets hope the answers are soon, I love this story.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Thank you for your comments

I haven't replied to individual comments, as I sometimes do, because most of those above have no need of clarification or enlightenment.

Basically, what people have said is more or less right so far. The timing is about right, the expected arrivals will arrive - along with one or two unexpected additions.

When I first wrote this chapter I included the arrival and the rest of the day but soon realized that a lot happens at that point so decided to split it where I did. This means I have a chunk of the next chapter already written...

...unfortunately the large number of people now milling around in Blackstone means I have to choreograph everyone fairly carefully! Cue two rewrites so far...

Once we get this done and the next day finished we should be in a much clearer position, I think. There's still a couple of serious wrinkles to come but for now everyone can relax for a while.

Thank you all for (still) reading and commenting. I'm as much a comment junkie as the next writer here and I'm always interested to read your speculations - even the wilder ones! I hope you'll enjoy the rest of my tale in due course.

Penny

:)

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

an army?

uh oh ...

DogSig.png

There's a dranakh in the room...

Or a very large plot hole... Trogan has had control of the town for 8 months? But Garia received coal from the town some time after he took control... At least one assumes that is where she got her coal samples from...?

Well spotted

I realized that particular plot hole existed a good while later in the writing.

I'll probably give a full explanation in the Commentaries, but let's just note that Gilbanar became annoyed when the requested coal didn't arrive and sent a stiffly worded directive to Blackstone to send it. This is mentioned in #38:

Gilbanar gave a rueful smile. "I had some reluctant replies to my instructions north. My stewards seemed to think the request was some kind of joke, my asking for coal. I had to repeat myself very firmly before they complied."

I'm not going to go into the fine detail about exactly how Trogan and his men satisfied the command but presumably they didn't want to raise suspicions down south about their activities.

Penny

Trouble?

Is this trouble or the king sending more men.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Now what?

Jamie Lee's picture

Seems that missing frayen is still, missing, if it was actually there to begin with. One thing they now know is who has what and where they live, which is a good thing to know in small towns.

Sootie is like a kid on Christmas day, waiting to unwrap their presents. Only her present has four legs and hasn't been treated very well. Will Tixi finally learn kindness does exist or give Sootie one heck of a ride when they get out of the yard?

Ho boy, big group coming into town has many worried. More nasties or Jaxen coming back?

Others have feelings too.

Jaxen

Is probably returning with reinforcements. As for the frayen... Probably missing, who has it and why? Why conceal it unless someone is unhappy with Garia for upsetting their apple cart as it were...