Missing Pieces Part 8 : Final

Printer-friendly version
Missing Pieces

by:
Elsbeth

Can Eric find the missing pieces in is life

magicstones

 


 
Part 8

The three of us stood off to the side as the fund-raiser went into full swing. Kaylee and I had already made our little speeches and the mayor was included before introducing a pair of local TV celebrities who hosted the gathering for the rest of the evening. With so many local dignitaries present, I knew that I would have to spend some time thanking each one personally for attending.

“Glad that’s over with.” Speaking in front of people had never been an issue; however I have never spoken to a ballroom full of them.

“Oh, I thought you were great.” Kaylee slipped her arm around mine.

“You weren’t too bad either.”

We had rooms full of food, one ballroom set up as a casino with all sorts of prizes donated from business leaders, and another room with an art exhibit and a silent auction. On the bottom floor, we had dancing.

Of course, I had to make an appearance. When the music started I found myself dancing with a number of well-dressed gentlemen. Strange, being led around the dance floor. Most of the men were friends or business associates; I danced with the mayor and even with a Congressman.

When one of the state representatives asked me to dance, I had to smile, how different from other parties I have attended. Beautifully dressed in a blue and gold chiffon gown, we spoke briefly about problems of women breaking into the business world and politics. Like I had any real experience, but she was a very good dancer. She also insisted on leading.

Afterwards she introduced me to a number of her colleagues, ending up with two more dances. As I watched men dance with men, and women dance with women peacefully with no hate or anger in the air, I knew if we continued down this path that our city had a bright future ahead of itself.

Of course, not everyone thought that way. I had tried to avoid that man all evening but he snuck up from behind as I watched the dancing.

“Seems all these little girls need is a real man to set them straight.”

Turning my head slightly, I came face to face with Travis not two feet away. Before I could reply to that ridiculous comment, Kaylee sauntered up to me and said. “A real man, well obviously that doesn’t mean you.”

With that statement, she reached over and planted one hell of a lusty kiss on my lips. As I tried to catch my breath, she looked back at the shocked Travis and growled.

“Your still here, little man? Go away.”

Travis looked at the two of us in disgust then walked away. Leaning her head on my head, Kaylee whispered. “I’m sorry; I might have lost you a client.”

“No worries, never liked him anyway. You’ve been drinking.”

She shrugged. “Just a little.”

More than a little I thought, but kept it to myself.

The rest of the official fund-raiser evening went very well. Speaking one more time, along with the mayor, we thanked everyone for their support. With that, we moved the party downstairs, to a smaller ballroom for the private party.

“All right, you’re my date for this, so enough dancing without me.” Kaylee grinned, taking my hand leading me directly onto the dance floor. Tabitha didn’t need an invitation and soon followed. The three of us began to dance, joined by more and more women.

There is a certain joy when dancing, listening to the music and allowing it to control your body. It felt so free, so unlike dancing as Eric. For a moment, the rhythm and I were one.

Catching my breath, I took a sip of my diet cola. I had to admit, I was having a great time. I looked about the room at the number of women enjoying themselves. Of course, not everyone in the group had been born women, not every one of them was a woman full time but right now at this moment, it didn’t matter.

“You should run for public office.” Tabitha shook her head in amazement as a well-known businesswoman came by to thank me for the evening.

“Why do you say that?”

“Because you have this aura about you, see how much attention you’re attracting. People just want to come by and speak with you.” Tabitha smiled.

“Guess Eric never had that.” I sighed.

“No, not true.” Tabitha shook her said. “Eric most definitely does have it. There were times when I saw it emanating from you, especially when you were with Kaylee or Nicole.”

“Really?”

“Yes, don’t sell Eric short; it’s one of the things that attracted me to you.”

I blushed as Tabitha leaned over and kissed me.

“No kissing my date.” Kaylee said, dropping herself into her seat. Rika followed right behind her, both completely out of breath.

I frowned when Kaylee ordered another drink, she and Tabitha both appeared to be quite tipsy.

“You’re not drinking either, Erin.” Like me, Rika sat with a diet cola in her hand.

“No, my stomach’s a little upset.”

Tabitha gave me a look. Before she could say anything, I grabbed Rika by the hand. “Come dance with me.”

As the two of us began to move, I noticed Rika smile. She seemed to be enjoying herself.

“Thank you.”

I leaned closer to her, to be able to hear over the music. “For what?”

“For everything, for getting me out of the coffee shop, for caring enough to change our insurance to help people like me but especially for listening to me the other day at lunch. Would you be offended if I told you that you are like the older sister I never had?”

I smiled, feeling that warmth again over my heart.

As the night progressed, I could see that Kaylee's mood changed from joy to sorrow and back again. Much to my concern both Tabitha and Kaylee continued to drink. Deciding that the two of them had enough for one night, I found Rika.

“I’m dragging The Bobbsey Twins upstairs.”

Rika looked over my shoulder, the two of them were dancing with once another although not very well. She grinned. “I’ll come by your room tomorrow.”

We more or less had the entire hotel booked, so I had been quick to get a block of rooms for the staff. I didn’t like the thought of my friends driving home after a night of partying.

“Come on girls.” The three of us moved through the corridor towards the elevators.

“You know I love you, Erin.” Kaylee looked at me with lust in her eyes.

“Yes.” Pushing the elevator button, I kissed her on the cheek.

Tabitha frowned, leaning herself on my shoulder. Actually, if she didn’t I figured she would be sitting on the ground. “Me too.”

As Eric, I probably could have manhandled the two of them, as Erin, I really needed their help. Thankfully, they insisted on helping me, if I could keep them from taking off their clothes.

We didn’t get much past the front door to our suite, before the two of them collapsed upon the couch. Sighing, I took off their shoes and went into the bedroom, covering each with a blanket.

“Glad I didn’t drink anything.” I said to myself, as both girls were now fast asleep.

I looked at them for some time, before I wandered off to take a seat in front of the large bay windows to watch the city below.

“Kaylee, wake up.”

“Erin?” Looking around, she held her head, noticing that it was dark outside.

The sunrise was still a little ways off. “Shit, Erin, I didn’t mean to….”

Kissing her on the head, I took her by the hand, leading her out towards the large window. Tabitha gave us a half-smile, having woken only a few moments before. Neither looked particularly happy at being awake.

“Too bad we can’t go outside, too cold.”

“Maybe we will get some snow this year.” Taking a seat, I noticed Kaylee hadn’t let go of my hand.

We sat there quietly, and then the sun began to break over the horizon. Immediately, Kaylee threw herself into my arms. “I love you Erin!”

I closed my eyes, enjoying the first rays of the sun. However, I was really looking forward to going to bed. Of course, both girls were now staring at me.

Kaylee sat back, confused for a second, as we had not all disappeared. In fact, nothing had happened; I remained Erin.

“Oh no, Erin, I’m sorry.”

Standing, I stepped forward to the window looking towards the bay. “I told you nothing happened the other day, Kaylee.”

“Then how?”

“Remember sex or blood right.”

Both girls looked confused for a moment, and then Tabitha’s eyes opened wide. “You’re having your period.”

“Yep, trust me this goes under the big old black mark for being a girl.” Erin had one before, I had memories of it but it’s entirely different from going through one.

“How? You weren’t supposed to….”

Kaylee nodded. “Miranda.” Then a bright light of hope shone forth from her eyes. “Does this mean?”

“Don’t know.” Smiling, I leaned my head against the glass. The cars were so small.

Suddenly Kaylee started to pummel me, crying and laughing at the same time.

“Wait, stop.” The more I tried to stop her, the more I laughed.

“You bitch, that’s not funny…I thought…I thought, I lost you.” She sat on the chair, looking down.

“You would have never have lost me, Kaylee.”

Tabitha gave me the look. “So, I guess this is your answer about us?”

“Nope.”

Both girls now looked angry.

“Erin, stop being so god dammed cryptic.”

Laughing I took a seat. “What, how in the hell am I supposed to pick. I think deciding whether to remain a girl should come first, we can work on the rest afterwards.”

“So why did you choose to be Erin?” Tabitha took a seat next to me.

Covering my mouth in a yawn, I shrugged. “It’s not any one thing really. Can’t say I was unhappy as Eric, the problem was I wasn’t particularly happy. The list told me many things, of the choices I had made in my life. As Erin, I made some of the same choices but also different ones. Some of them changed my outlook on life in ways I didn’t understand until now. What I did realize, was that turning back to Eric didn’t make me happy.”

“So you did it for yourself.” Tabitha leaned over, looking me in the eye.

“I did but was it wrong that my happiness is also tied to others as well.”

“So what about us?” Kaylee whispered.

“What about us, we are all still best friends right.”

Kaylee looked at Tabitha who nodded.

“Remember Tabitha, you said all three of us suck at relationships, right. Well, before we throw ourselves into another disastrous one, let’s make sure that we don’t destroy what we already have. I love both of you too much to do that.”

I could see the hope flair in Kaylee’s eyes, and the love. Tabitha looked thoughtful, turning to watch the sun come over the horizon bathing us in its light.

“Plus, I want to learn what it means to be a girl. Oh sure, I have these magical memories but I want to make some real ones.”

Not too long after, the three of us made ready for bed, all wearing larger versions of the red ‘Thing One, Thing Two and Thing Three” nightgowns.

The suite had several bedrooms but as expected, the two of them slid into the bed with me. As the three of us snuggled together, I closed my eyes, looking forward to the days ahead.

EPILOGUE: Valentine’s Day, two years later.

Standing off to the side of the church, I admired the beautiful glasswork. I had always wanted to have a real wedding with lots of friends and family. Today that dream was coming true; however, I didn’t think I would be a bride.

“You look so beautiful, Erin.” My Matron of honor came behind me, billowing out my dress.

“You’re not too bad yourself.”

“Third times the charm.”

“What are you talking about, I’ve never been married.” I grinned.

Tabitha giggled. “Well, I’m glad my dress still fits.”

All of my bridesmaids wore these beautiful off the shoulder black dresses. I had always heard girls complain how they could only wear their bridesmaid dresses once; I hoped that they would get more wear out of these.

Touching her stomach, she was just beginning to show. “So how is Jeff Jr. doing?”

“Or little Erin.”

“Tabitha.” I sniffed, reaching over I held her close.

“Don’t cry, you’ll mess up your makeup.”

Tabitha and I never really got a chance to see if we could work on a romantic relationship. Three days after the Valentine’s Day party, her baseball player husband showed up on my doorstep. He actually went down on his knees, begging Tabitha to come home.

Those were a difficult six months or so for Tabitha. I had her move in with me as she worked it out with Jeff. Often times, she would sneak into my bed. Nothing sexual, what she needed the most was a friend.

What made Tabitha sure that her husband had really meant what he said was when he asked to be traded to our own city’s baseball team. Now, the two of them own a house not too far from Miranda’s.

Rika walked over to me, looking beautiful in her black dress. “Erin, it’s almost time.”

One of the best things that came out of Jeff’s trade was that we all started to hang out with his friends. Almost every weekend, we would end up at their pool having a grill out. That’s where Rika met Timothy.

They’re such a cute couple. And yes, he knows everything and doesn’t care. Rika just told me that the two of them are flying out to the west coast to meet her parents. She also has made plans for her surgery, covered by our insurance for this spring. I expect Timothy won’t leave her side even then.

As Rika and Tabitha moved to the front, ready for the processional, my mother slipped her arms through mine.

“You’re so beautiful, Erin.”

My father, who came to stand on my other side agreed. Now the two of them were still divorced, that would have been too large of a change. However, they were willing to be in the same room with another, which didn’t happen with my other two marriages .

I realized that my mother had felt abandoned, lonely without two of us. We drew apart because of that loneliness. As Erin, I stayed with her as opposed to moving in with my father. Not living with him actually helped our relationship as well. I actually got along with his new wife.

“So how did you get to go last?” He asked.

“We flipped a coin.”

When the doors opened, the triplets stepped forward in their beautiful dresses tossing Rose petals on the ground before them.

As the Pachelbel chanté began to play, I stepped forward into the sanctuary. Guests all began to rise, looking at me with smiles on their faces. They had already stood once for my bride to be.

Down the aisle, Kaylee looked at me with those loving eyes. Everything around me faded, as I soaked up that warmth. In the past two years, the missing pieces of my life had slowly come back together.

Kaylee was my love, my heart, my life and as I stepped forward to hold her hands, I felt that last missing piece, lost so long ago, slip quietly into my heart.

Author's Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading!

Copyright © 2013 Elsbeth

up
242 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very, Very Nice

littlerocksilver's picture

It ended as it should - with a lot of happiness all around. Nicely done.

Portia

love

hope u write another chap of the love of Erin & Kaylee. maybe if they have kids or may if Erin runs for office that would be good

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa.

Andrea Lena's picture

...I always cry at weddings. Yay!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

im lost

who is Erin marring? Kaylee or one of Jeff's friends? What about Miranda?

Klenex time!!

Pamreed's picture

Well not quite the way I thought Erin would do it but she did
stay a girl like I thought!! I am sure in those two years her
and Kaylee had a great time getting to really know and love each
other!! That was a very good move on Erin's part!! Now which one
will have the kids or are they going to take turns!! My Dream!!
Thank you Elsbeth for a sweet story!!

Pamela

So I’ve been a boy and I’ve been a girl and, trust me, being a girl is better

Missing Pieces

Great story..glad to see she married Kaylee

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

yay!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I'm a sucker for a Really Happy Ending and this was one. Thank you for an enjoyable tale Elsbeth! I'm glad that in the end Erin was the one who was in charge of her own fate. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I like this!

She stayed a girl, but on her terms, and what was good for her. There was a connection to Kaylee, and this way let it grow as they grew to know each other all over again as women.
Oh so nicely done!
hugs
Grover

Great ending

I love weddings :)

Oh and a Girl & Girl marriage? Rock On!!

Kim

Well done

Amethyst's picture

You ended this well with happy endings all around and I'm glad Erin managed to stay a girl on her own terms.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Ah. It's Kaylee.

From a philosophical standpoint, I can truly say that either one of the girls vying for Erin's heart would have been fine for her. You see, each filled a different part...
AW, THE HECK WITH IT. YAAAAAY! IT'S KAYLEE! WOOP WOOP WOOP!

**SIG ... ah, er, **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

I had wondered..

if there would be "cousins, kissing cousins" but you worked it out well for all.
thanks

I'm so happy she found the missing bits Elsbeth.

So now she is complete.

Excellent story, a fun read.

Thankyou Elsbeth.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Very nice.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. I spent the last few chapters hoping she would pick Kaylee and she did. Happy grin! Cheers, Kiwi.

Beautiful.

That's all I can think to say at this point. It's getting my vote. ^^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Happy happy joy joy!

It's flooding here now with tears of joy! I simply LOVE the ending! Erin & Kaylee gee, who'da thought. (giggling). Elsbeth hon, you rocked this one! Big Hugs, Taarpa

Glad to see that Erin

has collected all of the missing pieces. :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well, So Much...

...for my guess that she'd end up with Rika.

Pleasant story...

Eric

Found

I really enjoyed this tale and the ending of course!I'm glad Eric/Erin found the missing piece.
Jo
Sydney

Elsbeth thank you for this

Elsbeth thank you for this happy story.
As I read the ending I cried.

Thanks so very much for this ray of sunshine.

XXx

P.S.

I loved kaylee and wish I had a friend just like her.
Xx

Beautiful!!

Beautiful!!

alissa

Finally adding comment

Having read this several times, it is time and well past time to add a comment. The story inspired a nice collection of comments. They are well thought out and insightful. To me the quality and quantity of comments are strong indicators of a very talented author. Reading the story adds credence to that theory. Very interesting take on magical change. Elsbeth includes many of the standard tropes, only to mention them, then ignore them. Her story charts a different, non-trope, path to the finish.
So well done.