A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Two of 13+


Chapter Two: The last ride

    Chloe was alone when she woke on the Sunday morning Spirit had vanished at some point through the night, she looked across at Stacy still asleep cuddled up to Stephanie. Chloe had to hide a giggle when she saw just how wrapped up in each other they were. Stacy’s head was nestled in between Stephanie’s breasts. Chloe wondered if those were Stephanie’s own breasts, or if she’d had them made larger with implants. She was soon distracted from her thoughts when she saw Spirit appear at the side of the bed.

     “Morning Spirit.” Chloe said as she sat up and had a stretch.

     “Morning sis.” Spirit smiled back as she sat on the edge of the bed and gave Chloe a hug.

     “Is everything alright? I was worried when I woke and saw you were gone.” Chloe said as she hugged Spirit back.

     “Everything is fine, but I had a training session with Samantha. She’s still teaching me to use my new gifts.” Spirit grinned.

     “That was a pretty amazing thing you did last night, when you turned into me and the other two.” Chloe said as she remembered how Spirit had morphed into her and then she’d morphed into Stephanie before finally morphing into Stacy. “What other cool things can you do now?” Chloe asked.

     “Samantha said I’m not to show off, and I never should have let Stacy and Stephanie see me do that last night as it turns out.” Spirit sighed.

     “I’m sorry I got you in trouble then sis.” Chloe pouted as she gave Spirit a hug.

     “It wasn’t your fault, I was the one showing off and trying to impress your friends.” Spirit giggled. “I looked in on our kittens as well while I was away.” Spirit said, as she tried to change the subject, referring to the kittens Chloe had gotten from Stacy when they first met each other. Chloe had also gotten a best friend as well as a horse, and a big sister in Stephanie.

     “How are they doing?” Chloe said as she realised she was missing the two of them.

     “They’re missing you, but they were sleeping on your bed when I looked in on them.” Spirit started to explain. “Aunty Ash isn’t very happy about it as she’s sleeping in your bed at the minute, but she gave up trying to throw them off the bed because they just kept getting back on and cuddling up to her.” She added with a giggle.

     “Did Aunty Ash tell you this?” Chloe asked.

     “No, Smokey did.” Spirit said in a matter of fact way, like talking to animals was a normal thing that everyone could do. “He woke and asked when you would be home again.”

     “I’m missing them as well.” Chloe said feeling love for her two kittens. “I’ll be home just after lunch, mum said she wanted me to be well rested, but I think she just misses having me around.” Chloe added.

     “Can you blame her?” Spirit asked.

     “No, not really, I miss her when we’re apart.” Chloe said, but Spirit could tell that something was troubling Chloe.

     “What’s troubling you sister?” Spirit asked looking worried. “You’ll be fine at school tomorrow, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

     “It’s not the school thing, well it is, but I’m just wondering...” Chloe trailed off without finishing.

     “Wondering what?”

     “I was just wondering if my real mother ever tried to make contact with me after she died.” Chloe said with a sigh. “I’ve been looking around, hoping to see her, but I’ve not. Do you think she’s disappointed in me and what I let Mark do to me for all that time?” Chloe asked with tears in her eyes.

     “I don’t think that for a second and neither should you.” Spirit scolded her just a little to load and made Stacy and Stephanie start to stir. “I told you that your mother had already been given someone else to watch over, but I do know she’s proud of what you’ve done so far, and she’ll be watching over you for some time to come.” Spirit said with pride.

     “Have you spoken with her?” Chloe asked looking eager to find out all she could. “Does she look beautiful again, not like she did when she died?”

     “I’m not allowed to speak about it sis, but she’s doing really well, and yes she looks beautiful.” Spirit whispered, not that she could keep it a secret from the higher ups.

     “Why can’t you tell me about her, and why can’t she come and see me?” Chloe asked with some anger in her voice. “Have I not earned a visit from her after what I managed to do for your mother?”

     “She’s not your mother anymore, and she wants you to settle in and except my mother as being yours before she lets you see her again.” Spirit started to explain, but she vanished before she could say anymore.

    Chloe had a feeling that Spirit was pulled away, rather than her going of her own accord, she just hoped that she hadn’t just gotten Spirit in trouble with all her questions.

    Stacy and Stephanie waking up at that moment stopped her dwelling on it longer, and she set to work getting dressed so they could have some breakfast and then go and sort out the horses before going for a quick ride. Chloe had already explained about her mother coming for her at lunchtime, so she would be rested before school tomorrow.

*****

     “Is everything alright Chloe?” Stephanie asked later in the morning as they were riding their horses along one of the many paths that snaked around the property. “You’ve seemed distracted by something all morning and I’m getting worried about you.”

     “I’m fine.” Chloe said trying to look happy, but it wasn’t working.

     “You really need to work on your lying.” Stephanie frowned. “Now spill it, what’s bothering you?” She asked looking serious.

     “I was talking to Spirit this morning about my real mother, and why I haven’t seen her if I can see dead people.”

     “Couldn’t she answer your questions?” Stephanie asked looking a little sad. “I’m sure she would if she could.”

     “That’s just it, she did know and she said that she’d seen her, but my mother was keeping away, so I can get use to seeing Valarie as my mother.”

     “I can understand that to a point, so what’s got you looking so glum?” Stephanie asked looking confused.

     “Spirit tried to warn me that she wasn’t supposed to talk about it, and she started to explain it in more detail, but she was pulled away, and I’ve not seen her again since.” Chloe said worriedly.

     “Have you tried calling to her?” Stephanie asked.

     “I’ve been calling out to her for a couple of hours now, but nothing’s happened. Do you think I got her in trouble, and they’ve stopped her coming to see me?” Chloe asked.

     “I’m not sure, but I’m sure she’ll come when you really need her.” Stephanie hoped that was the case, and Spirit hadn’t been grounded for going against the word of whoever it was she answered to.

     “Do you think Spirit can be grounded?” Stacy asked from the other side of Chloe to what Stephanie was riding Snowflake. “I kind of thought being a free spirit meant she could do as she wanted.” Stacy added with a pout.

     “I’m sure that they must have some sort of pecking order, even in the afterlife, and if Spirit said something they didn’t want Chloe to know for whatever reason, then they must have some way to make her not do it again.” Stephanie explained the way she understood it.

     “I hope they don’t take her new gifts away from her, it’s really cool being able to see and touch her.” Stacy said looking worried.

     “Oh no, it would be my fault if they did that to her, and mother would be upset with me for taking Spirit away from her again.” Chloe said with tears in her eyes. Chloe was just about to say more, but she was distracted when Spirit appeared behind her on Shadow.

     “You worry far too much sis.” Spirit said with a grin as she hugged Chloe from behind. “I’m sorry I scared you so much, but I’ve just had my wrist slapped and warned about not doing as I was told.” She explained.

     “I’m sorry for getting you in trouble.” Chloe said as she enjoyed the hug Spirit was giving her. “What did they do to you for talking to me about it?”

     “I just had to write lines for Sammi.” Spirit said with a roll of her eyes.

     “Sammi made you write lines?” Chloe asked with shock in her voice.

     “Who’s Sammi?” Stacy asked.

     “Sammy’s my angel, and Spirit’s probation officer of sorts.” Chloe started to explain. “Is it safe for me to tell them that?” Chloe asked as she turned to look at Spirit.

     “Its fine because of what Stephanie can do.” Spirit said waving off Chloe’s worries. “Sammi wants to meet Stephanie at some point and see what they can do to help her refine her skills to see the dead and help them move on after fixing whatever it is keeping them here.” Spirit went on to explain.

     “What if I don’t want to have this power, or use it?” Stephanie asked looking worried.

     “You could help a lot of souls find peace and move on Stephi.” Spirit tried to make her understand just how special she was. “You could really help people.” She added in a pleading tone.

     “I see lots of people on the TV and in the newspapers that can help people contact the dead, so what difference will one more make?” Stephanie asked in a whiny tone.

     “Most of them are fakes and they end up doing more harm than good, or they just lie to take people’s money and feed off their sorrow.” Spirit said angrily as she remembered some of them doing just that to her mother. “It was one of those fakes that led my mother to try killing herself after telling her a pack of lies.”

     “I’m sorry to hear that, and I’ll do what I can to help out where I can.” Stephanie said with a determined look on her face. “Will I get a grim like Chloe has?” She asked with a grin.

     “No, you won’t, but you will have Sammi watching your back and you can call Chloe in for any ghosts that course you trouble.” Spirit explained.

     “Trouble...? What kind of trouble?” Stephanie asked looking worried.

     “Not all ghosts will accept the fact they’re dead, so they refuse to go into the light when they see it.” Spirit explained.

     “How can they not realise they’re dead?” Stacy asked looking even more confused than Stephanie.

     “They just feel such a strong pull to something in this realm that they can’t find peace.” Spirit started to explain. “That could have been me, if not for Chloe becoming a vessel for me to lock onto and get her help from.”

     “So some ghosts are people who saw something terrible like you did, but they didn’t have someone like Chloe to jump into, so they couldn’t help the ones they wanted to and ended up trapped here?” Stephanie asked now she thought she understood what Spirit was getting at.

     “Yes for the most part, or they are just angry at their death and want revenge on the living, just like James’ stepfather.” Spirit frowned as she thought of the nasty man that did all the horrible things to James.

     “When will I meet this Sammi?” Stephanie asked.

     “So you’re willing to start helping Chloe pass ghosts onto the other side?” Spirit smiled.

     “Chloe has so much to deal with already in her life that I wouldn’t be much of a big sister to her if I turned my back on all this and left her to deal with it all when I can help her.” Stephanie said with pride for what Chloe was able to do.

     “I’ll have a word with Sammi and let her know you’re willing to help, and then I’ll get back to you with a time and a place.” Spirit grinned. “She may call in to speak with you this afternoon, once Chloe has returned home.”

     “That will be fine; I’m only going to be doing some studying in my room anyway.” Stephanie said.

    Spirit disappeared again to go and sort out with Samantha about her having a meeting with Stephanie, and the other three finished their ride and then got the horses settled down.

     “I want you to be on your best behaviour through the day Shadow, I have to go to school, so I won’t be able to spend as much time with you, but I will be thinking about you.” Chloe said as she stroked the side of Shadow’s neck while she fed him some mints.

    Shadow made a sound that let Chloe know he understood her, and he would behave for the stable staff that worked through the week while Stacy was at school, and Stephanie was at college.

    Chloe realised it was time to go when she saw her mother walk into the courtyard with Stacy’s parents walking beside her.

     “Hi sweetie, did you have a good ride?” Valarie asked as she walked up to Chloe and pulled her into a hug.

     “Hi mummy, yes, but it was too short.” Chloe pouted as she looked up at her mother while she got a hug.

     “I’m sorry, but we need to get your things ready for school tomorrow, and I’ve missed you.” Valarie pouted back as she hugged Chloe a little tighter.

    Chloe grinned as she liked the fact she was missed, and her mother wanted to be selfish and steal her away to spend time with her.

     “I’ve missed you to mummy.” Chloe sighed as she enjoyed the hug.

    Stacy’s father soon had Chloe’s bag in the trunk of Valarie’s car, and Chloe was saying goodbye to Stacy and Stephanie. Stacy she would see again in the morning when Dorothy picked her up and took her to school with Stacy, but she wouldn’t see Stephanie until Friday when she returned home from college.

     “You’ve got all my details remember, so don’t think twice about calling me if you want to talk about anything.” Stephanie said as she gave Chloe a hug. “I’d love to hear how your first day at school went.” Stephanie added with a grin as she gave Chloe an even tighter hug.

    Stephanie’s parents would just think their daughter was talking about Chloe’s transition, but Chloe knew that Stephanie was also talking about the ghost stuff as well.

     “I will big sister Stephi, and you know you can call me if you need to talk as well.” Chloe said in return to let Stephanie know that she would be there for her if she had any trouble she needed to talk about.

    Chloe was soon in Valarie’s car and she waved to Stacy, Stephanie and their parents as Valarie drove them home again. Chloe was sad to be leaving Stacy’s house, but at the same time she was looking forward to getting home and checking up on the kittens, and also seeing Aunty Ash again.

*****

    Ashley ran out of the house the minute Valarie pulled up out front. She opened Chloe’s door and then hugged her as soon as she’d finished helping her to get out the car.

     “How was the sleepover?” Ashley asked as she hugged Chloe. “The kittens missed you.” She added as she broke the hug and looked Chloe in the eyes.

     “Hello Aunty Ash.” Chloe giggled. “I had a wonderful time, but I did miss you and mummy, as well as the kittens.” Chloe added. “Spirit looked in on them for me, and she said that you were having trouble trying to keep them out of the bed.” Chloe giggled some more.

     “That’s what I get for trying to borrow your bed for the night.” Ashley frowned. “Every time I threw them off the bed, they would just jump back on and get under the covers again.” She explained.

     “Did you get much sleep then in the end?” Chloe was trying not to giggle as she asked.

     “I did once I gave up and just accepted the fact I wasn’t going to get rid of them, and it was quite nice in the end.” Ashley smiled as she remembered the way the two kittens had cuddled up close to her and were purring happily when she woke that morning.

     “Where will you be sleeping tonight?” Chloe asked.

     “I’m waiting for the removal people to arrive with my things, and I’ve already got one of the other rooms sorted out ready for them to put my bed and other things in.” Ashley grinned. “The room will do until we can get another one decorated for me.” Ashley said as she pointed Chloe towards the house and started walking.

     “Does this mean you won’t have to go away again now?” Chloe asked looking hopeful.

     “Only on a couple of day trips to finish up the sale of the house, but for the most part you’ll be stuck with me kiddo.” Ashley giggled as she tapped Chloe on the nose.

     “That’s wonderful.” Chloe grinned as she threw her arms around Ashley’s neck as she crouched down in front of her so they were at eye level.

     “So can I count on you to help me unpack when the removal van arrives?” Ashley asked with a grin.

     “Yes...!” Chloe said excitedly. “But I’m not very strong though.” She added with a pout.

     “You don’t have to be to help me unpack some boxes.” Ashley smiled. “We’ll let the removal men do all the heavy lifting for us.” She added in a fake whisper as she looked around like she was worried someone would over hear her, even though there were just the three of them stood outside the house.

    Valarie finally managed to get the two of them into the house and then the kitchen so they could have a drink while they waited for the removal men to arrive.

    Chloe made her way over to the corner where she could see the two kittens asleep in a box, but they were soon lifting up their little heads when they heard footsteps. It didn’t take the two kittens long to get up out the box and start fussing around Chloe’s feet looking for attention. She sat down on the kitchen floor and crossed her legs so both kittens could climb into her lap once she’d straightened out her skirt and covered her knees so they had a good sized area to climb onto.

     “I told you they’d really missed you.” Ashley said as she watched Chloe stroke the two purring kittens.

     “I missed them as well.” Chloe cooed as she leaned down and got the end of her nose licked my Angel. This just made Chloe giggle as she stopped stroking Angel to wipe the end of her nose.

    Chloe looked up when she sensed that Spirit was about to appear somewhere in the room. She watched Spirit appear next to her mother looking just like any normal teenage girl would do. She was dressed in a white version of the pink sun dress Chloe was wearing.

     “Hello sweetie.” Valarie said as she gave Spirit a hug.

    Ashley just sat at the kitchen table looking puzzled as she saw that Valarie could touch Spirit. “How are you able to do that?” Ashley finally asked.

     “Did you not tell her mummy?” Spirit asked with a smirk.

     “No, I wanted it to be a surprise.” Valarie grinned as she watched Spirit make her way over to her aunt.

    Ashley reached out tentatively, worried that her hand would pass right through her dead niece, but it didn’t, and Ashley was soon pulled Spirit into a hug like none Spirit had ever had before.

     “How is this possible?” Ashley asked as she held Spirit close to her like Spirit might disappear if she let go. “I never thought I’d be able to hold you like this again.”She added with tears in her eyes.

     “I passed a very important test, and this was my reward Aunty Ash.” Spirit said as she hugged her back.

     “Was it you helping Chloe with her stepfather that earned you this wonderful gift?” Ashley asked as she held Spirit close to her still.

     “Yes it was, but Chloe did all the hard work in facing her demons.” Spirit said as she played down the part she played in stopping James’ stepfather from jumping into Valarie.

     “Show them that other little trick you can do now as well.” Chloe said excitedly.

     “What little trick?” Spirit asked looking confused.

     “The morphing one.” Chloe grinned.

     “Oh that one.” Spirit grinned as she focused on making herself look like Chloe.

    Ashley was soon hugging an exact copy of Chloe, who was still sat on the kitchen floor with the two kittens in her lap falling asleep curled up together still purring as Chloe stroked them. Ashley hadn’t noticed Spirit change, but Valarie was stood with her mouth open as she saw Spirit morph.

     “Oh my...” Valarie said as she put her hands up to her mouth in shock. Can you become anyone you want?” She asked once she recovered from the shock.

    Spirit couldn’t help giggling as Ashley broke the hug and looked confused when she saw she’d been hugging Chloe, she looked even more confused when she looked over and saw a grinning Chloe still sat on the floor with the two kittens in her lap. Ashley kept turning her head to look at both Chloe’s. “Yes I can become anyone, or anything, but it does take a lot of focus and I can’t hold the form for very long at the minute.” Spirit explained as she morphed back to her normal look. “Sammi says that I will be able to do it longer the more I practice.”

     “Why would you need such a skill in the first place?” Ashley asked now she’d recovered from the shock of seeing two Chloe’s.

     “So I can help Chloe deal with situations where she might get caught talking to ghosts among other reasons.” Spirit said sounding a little vague.

     “So you could stand in for Chloe if she needed you to?” Valarie asked.

     “Yes, but I wouldn’t want to leave her to deal with a ghost on her own.” Spirit said worriedly. “I can become a teacher and stop any trouble she might have with other students.” She smiled.

     “I hope she will go to see Jennifer if she does have any trouble with the other students.” Valarie said sternly.

     “I’m sure you can remember from being at school yourself that you can’t go running to the teacher or the headmistress with every little problem.” Spirit tried to explain.

     “Spirit does have a point sis.” Ashley said in agreement.

     “I know how to look after myself mummy, so please try not to worry about me too much.” Chloe smiled.

     “I will always worry about you sweetie, I’m your mother, but I do trust that you can look after yourself.” Valarie said as she crouched down and kissed Chloe on the forehead. “I just don’t want you thinking you need to keep anything to yourself, you’re not on your own anymore.” Valarie added in a warning tone as she looked Chloe in the eyes.

     “I know that mummy.” Chloe smiled. She was glad she wasn’t on her own anymore as well, and with Sprit and Stacy watching her back, she knew she could handle whatever this new school threw at her.

    Valarie made them all a drink and then they sat talking while they waited for the removal van to arrive with Ashley’s things. Ashley made the most of being able to touch Spirit and had her sit on her knee so she could hug her some more.

*****

    The removal van arrived and they let the men carry everything into the house and up to the room Ashley was going to be using. Ashley got the men to put the bed together and place all the heavy furniture in the right place, so all they had to do was unpack the bags and boxes.

    Chloe was laughing and giggling so much while she helped her mother, aunt and sister get the things unpacked, that she thought her face and sides would never stop hurting, but she felt truly part of the family, and was never made to feel like an outsider, or fake daughter. Chloe thought that Ashley was more like an older sister with how she acted most the time.

    Once they had Ashley’s things unpacked, Chloe went to her room to sort out her school bag ready for the next morning. Spirit went with her so she could offer some help where ever needed.

     “You’ll do just fine sis.” Spirit said when she saw the worry in Chloe’s eyes as she touched her shoulder and smiled at her.

    Chloe felt a sudden rush of calm wash over her, and she knew that it was Spirit causing it. “Thanks for that.” She smiled as she turned around and pulled Spirit into a hug. “You’re the best sister any girl could have, or want.” Chloe added with a happy sigh as Spirit sent another calming wave into her.

     “Likewise sis.” Spirit grinned as she broke the hug and looked Chloe in the eyes. “I couldn’t pick a better girl to be me.” She added with a giggle. “Now let’s get you ready for school tomorrow.” Spirit said as she broke the hug and set to work sorting out Chloe’s school bag for her.

    Chloe was happy to just do as Spirit said as she sorted through the bag she’d used for school when she was alive, and she took out the things she didn’t need at this new school, and she replaced it with the new books and other bits. One of the new bits being a laptop she could use at this new school.

     “I don’t know very much about computers sis.” Chloe warned as she watched Spirit lift the lid and fire up the laptop.

     “Just relax and come over here and take a seat.” Spirit said as she indicated for Chloe to sit down in front of the laptop. “Now I want you to type in our password.” Spirit told her.

     “But I don’t know what it is.” Chloe frowned.

     “Just give it a go.” Spirit smiled.

    Chloe let out a frustrated sigh but did as she was told and suddenly she had a word pop into her head and she typed it into the laptop, and then she watched as the thing sprang to life. “How did I do that?” She asked.

     “All part of that little gift I gave you.” Spirit grinned. “You have all my memories to draw on whenever you need them.” Spirit reminded her.

     “But why can’t I remember all of it now?” Chloe asked sounding frustrated.

     “You can, but I need to teach you how, and that is what we will be doing for the rest of the afternoon while you get used to using a computer.” Spirit said sounding bossy.

     “I think the first thing I need to do is change the picture you have as your wallpaper.” Chloe said as she looked at the picture of Spirit while she was still alive, Spirit was grinning as she lay on the grass with her mum and aunty.

     “That’s an easy thing to fix.” Spirit grinned, just like she was in the picture on the screen, but Chloe watched as the girl in the picture changed to one of her grinning instead.

     “How did you do that?” Chloe asked as she now found herself looking at her lying on the grass with her mother and aunt.

     “Just a little trick Sammi taught me, but it only works on computers.” Spirit grinned proudly. “You will find all the pictures that had me in them now have you instead.” Spirit added as she clicked on a folder marked photos, and she was right. Chloe now saw pictures of her doing things she’d never done, in places she’d never been.

     “What about all the real pictures like the ones Mother and Aunty Ash would have of you?” Chloe asked.

     “They will all have me in them still.” Spirit frowned. “Not a lot I can do about that, other than hope no one links that me with you now, if you know what I mean?” Spirit asked.

     “I hope that doesn’t happen.” Chloe said looking worried.

     “Don’t forget about my little memory thing.” Spirit grinned as she wiggled her fingers like she was casting a spell. “Now start learning to use that gift I gave you.” Spirit ordered as she pointed at the laptop.

     “And just how do I do that?” Chloe asked sounding a little too sarcastic as she said it.

     “Just close your eyes and take a couple of deep breaths to relax yourself.” Spirit started to explain. “I can feel how tense you are, and I think that’s the reason you’re having trouble using my gift.” She said sounding calm.

    Chloe took a couple of deep breaths to relax herself and she started to feel something deep inside trying to make its way to the surface. I can feel something warm building inside.” Chloe said excitedly.

     “Good, now let it wrap around you like a warm blanket on a cold day.” Spirit said.

    Chloe did as Spirit asked, and she felt the feeling wrap around her, and she wasn’t scared about going to school anymore, or looking like a fool if she got asked a question in any of the lessons she was expected to take part in.

     “I feel smarter than I should be.” Chloe said all of a sudden as she opened her eyes and knew her way around the laptop like she’d been the one to spend all the time adding music to it and surfing the net and doing her homework while going to her old school, or the real Chloe’s old school. “I have all your memories.” Chloe added with a snuffle as she remembered the fun times the real Chloe had had while spending time with her father while on holiday just before the accident.

     “I’m sorry about that sis, but I couldn’t just give you the stuff you needed, so I had to give you everything.” Spirit said as she pulled a sobbing Chloe into a hug. Chloe could feel the pain of losing her father, even though it wasn’t really her father.

     “Please don’t be sorry sis.” Chloe snuffled some more as she broke the hug to look Spirit in the eyes. “This makes me feel even closer to you, and it’s such a wonderful gift to have.” Chloe smiled. “It feels like I’ve been a girl all my life now.” Chloe grinned as she wrapped her arms around herself.

     “You have been a girl all your life silly.” Spirit grinned back as she playfully slapped Chloe on the arm.

     “You know what I mean sis.” Chloe whined as she slapped Spirit back. Spirit defended herself and they were soon rolling around on the bed giggling as they tickled each other.

    They stopped playing around when they heard giggling from the doorway and they saw Valarie and Ashley stood there watching them play around.

     “Hi mummy.” Both girls said as they sat up on the edge of the bed panting heavily from all the energy they had used up, well Chloe was panting, but Spirit looked relaxed and well rested still.

     “Hello girls.” Valarie smiled. “Dinner is nearly ready, so if you could get cleaned up Chloe.” Valarie said. She already knew that Spirit didn’t eat any more, so she never bothered telling her to get cleaned up ready for dinner, not that Spirit looked dirty.

     “I need to go and see Sammi about having a chat with Stephanie, so I’ll go and do that while you eat.” Spirit explained.

     “We’re having a movie night after, if you want to join us for that?” Ashley asked Spirit looking hopeful.

     “Popcorn...?” Spirit asked with a grin.

     “Always.” Ashley huffed like Spirit had just asked the daftest thing ever.

     “Count me in then.” Spirit giggled as she clapped her hands together.

     “Can you still eat popcorn then?” Chloe asked looking puzzled.

     “Yes, I can eat all the things I use to, but I don’t need to.” Spirit shrugged. “You can’t have a movie night though, and not eat popcorn.” Spirit added with a frown like Chloe was insane for asked such a question this time.

     “I’ve never had a movie night before, well not with others in the room, but I use to watch them all the time while being locked in my bedroom.” Chloe said with a shudder as she remembered some of the things she did while she was still James. “I do remember Spirit liking them though.” Chloe smiled as she drew on some of Spirit’s memories from when she was still alive.

     “We’ll let you choose the movie tonight then.” Ashley said as she stepped over and wrapped an arm around Chloe’s shoulder just before she pulled her into a hug.

     “I’ll see you all later then.” Spirit smiled just before she vanished.

     “Where’s she rushing off to?” Valarie asked as she turned to look at Chloe for an answer.

     “Sammi wants to have a word with Stephanie about her gift, and what they can do to help her use it to help ghosts find peace and move onto the other side.” Chloe explained as Ashley led her over to her bathroom to get her hands washed ready for dinner.

     “So Stephanie can do the same things you can do?” Ashley asked.

     “No, but she can see ghosts and help the living to find some peace so their loved ones can move on to the other side.” Chloe tried to explain.

     “It all sounds pretty spooky to me.” Ashley said in a scary sounding voice just before she started to giggle.

    Chloe couldn’t help giggling herself as she went into the bathroom to wash her hands. Once Chloe was done, she followed Ashley down to the kitchen, so they could help Valarie finish up setting the table so they could eat.

*****

    Stephanie was sat at the desk in her bedroom studying when she felt a slight chill, so she turned to find Spirit stood just behind her.

     “Hi Spirit, I thought that was you I felt.” Stephanie smiled, not worried about seeing Spirit stood there.

     “Hello again Stephi, I’ve brought Samantha to speak with you.” Spirit said as she pointed at an empty spot in the middle of Stephanie’s room just as a thin crack of light appeared and got wide enough for a person to step through. Stephanie watched as a tall thin woman stepped through with flaming red hair and a pure white business suit on, which just made her hair look even redder.

     “Hello Stephanie, I hope you don’t mind me popping in to see you?” Samantha asked with a smile as she held out her hand to shake Stephanie’s. “Spirit has told me so much about you that I feel like we’re already old friends.” She added.

     “Hello Ma’am, I wish I could say the same, but Spirit has told me very little about you.” Stephanie said nervously as she shook Samantha’s hand.

     “I can understand that, but you must not blame Spirit for that, she was only doing as she was told, and truth be told, she still said more than I would have liked.” Samantha said as she gave Spirit a quick glance before she went back to looking at Stephanie. “And please call me Sammi, all my friends do.” Samantha smiled.

     “Thank you Sammi, and you must call me Stephi.” Stephanie smiled back. “Do angels have many friends?” Stephanie asked looking puzzled.

     “Not as many as I’d like, but I have a couple of creatures I consider friends.” Samantha said sounding a little cryptic.

     “Creatures...? As in not all of them are human?” Stephanie asked.

     “I didn’t come here to talk about me my sweet child.” Samantha said with a little chuckle. “Spirit says that you’re willing to help Chloe deal with the backlog of earth bound ghosts we need to get moved onto the other side.”

     “Yes I am, but I need to know that it won’t interfere with me getting my degrees and finding a job.” Stephanie said looking very serious.

     “We will do all we can to make sure it doesn’t, but ghosts can be a little unpredictable.” Samantha said with a strained look on her face that told Stephanie they were probably always unpredictable.

     “What sort of things will I be asked to do?”

     “We will guide you towards ghosts that are hurting and find they can’t move on due to something they saw at their time of death.” Samantha explained.

     “You mean like Spirit who saw her mother killing herself?” Stephanie asked as she remembered what had happened to James when the real Chloe forced him to return to his body.

     “Yes, sort of, but these are just simple ghosts that refused to go into the light.” Samantha said with a frown towards Spirit. “Spirit became something far different to a ghost when she joined with James.”

    Spirit opened her mouth to say something, but she stopped when Samantha raised her hand. Stephanie thought it looked like Samantha had actually stopped Spirit from being able to speak. Stephanie had to stop herself from giggling when she saw Spirit pout and fold her arms across her chest as she let out a huff because Samantha had done just that.

     “I wish I could do that with Stacy.” Stephanie said as she thought how cool it would be to be able to shut her younger sister up some times.

     “I don’t like doing it to Spirit, but she does tend to let her mouth run quicker than her brain can keep up.” Samantha said sounding frustrated with Spirit. Samantha raised her hand again and Spirit was able to speak once more, but whatever she was going to say never left her lips this time. “Do you still have something to say Spirit?” Samantha asked.

     “No Sammi, I’m fine just listening.” Spirit said with a sweet smile as she pretended to lock her mouth and then place the key in her pocket to let Samantha know she was going to keep quiet on her own while she finished talking to Stephanie.

    Samantha just frowned at Spirit like she would believe that when she saw it, but she wanted to get done explaining things to Stephanie, so Stephanie could get back to her studying.

     “How will I get hold of you if I find a ghost haunting someone?” Stephanie asked.

     “Just think my name in your head, and I’ll get the message.” Samantha smiled.

     “What happens if I think your name when I don’t actually need you?” Stephanie asked looking worried that she might upset Samantha and then not have her come when really needed.

     “I’ll only come to you when I hear you say the words ‘Samantha I need you’ that should help to cut down on the mistakes, but I won’t be angry if you do call me by mistake.”

    Stephanie was just about to ask another question when she saw Samantha and Spirit suddenly vanish. Stephanie soon understood why when Dorothy knocked on the door just before she entered.

     “Hi mum.” Stephanie said trying to look casual.

     “Hello dear, I thought I heard you talking to someone.” Dorothy said as she looked around the room.

     “I just hung up on a friend from college.” Stephanie said as she held up her cell phone.

     “Oh, that would explain it then.” Dorothy smiled. “Dinner will be on the table in ten minutes, so get washed up and then come down.”

     “Okay, thanks mum.”

    Dorothy left the room, closing the door behind her and leaving Stephanie to get her things put away.

     “How did you know to vanish just now?” Stephanie asked in a whisper after she saw Samantha reappear.

     “It’s an angel thing.” Samantha grinned, but never gave Stephanie a proper answer. “I do want to thank you for helping Chloe to settle in and also for giving her someone to talk to when she needs it.” Samantha added looking truly grateful for what Stephanie was doing.

     “You’re welcome, but I have a feeling that it will be me needing Chloe, more than she needs me.” Stephanie said with a nervous giggle.

     “I don’t mean over the ghost whispering thing. I mean for all the help you’ve shown her over her transgender issues.” Samantha said with pride for the young woman sat before her. “The poor child has had such a rough life since the death of her own mother; it’s good to see her enjoying life again.” Samantha said with a faraway look in her eyes as some tears ran down her cheeks.

     “Where’s Spirit?” Stephanie asked when she realised that Spirit hadn’t returned with Samantha.

     “I let her go and enjoy movie night with Chloe and her family.”

     “May I ask you something?” Stephanie asked, glad that it was just her and Samantha. “What’s the real reason behind Chloe not being able to see her real mother?”

     “It’s very complicated.” Samantha said looking sad. “She does want to let Chloe know she’s very proud of her and glad that she’s found a new family, but she’s being punished for something she did at the time of James’s accident.

     “Did she have something to do with the accident that killed James’s stepfather?” Stephanie asked.

     “We’re not allowed to talk about it, and I’m begging you not to say anything to Chloe about this, she would only get upset, and she’s been upset enough for one lifetime.” Samantha said in a tone that told Stephanie the conversation was over.

     “I understand, but I hope that whoever it is that handed out this punishment to Chloe’s real mother will ease up on her when they see how much good Chloe is doing for them.” Stephanie frowned. “It’s like they are punishing Chloe as much as they are her mother.” She added.

     “I don’t think anyone is hurting as much as Nicole is right now.” Samantha said with pain in her voice.

     “Nicole...?” Stephanie asked.

     “Nicole is James’s mother’s name.” Samantha explained. “I’m sorry, but I’m needed elsewhere, just remember to call out my name when you need me.” Samantha added just before she vanished again.

    Stephanie had a million questions she wanted answers to, but she could see that Samantha was upset about something, so she decided they could wait for another time. She got cleaned up and then left her bedroom and pulled Stacy out of her room so they could both head down for dinner.

*****

    Chloe was just helping her mother and Aunty Ashley to clear the table when she saw Spirit appear. Before Spirit could say a word though, she was pounced on by the two kittens.

     “Did you miss me?” Spirit cooed as she picked up the two purring kittens and gave them a hug.

     “How did the talk go with Stephi?” Chloe asked.

     “It was going fine until her mother came into the room.” Spirit started to explain.

     “Did she see the two of you?” Chloe asked before Spirit could say anymore.

     “No...!” Spirit said with a look that questioned Chloe’s understanding of who she was talking to. “We vanished before she entered the room, but Sammi said I could come here and enjoy the movie while she finished up with Stephi.” Spirit grinned. “So what we watching then this evening?” Spirit asked as she placed the two kittens back on the floor.

     “Aunty Ash was telling me about a film called Tangled that I’ve never seen, so we’re going to watch that.” Chloe said looking excited about the movie night.

     “You’ve never seen Tangled?” Spirit asked looking shocked to hear that. “It’s the best film ever made.” She added.

     “I can remember you liking it, but it’s different to me watching it for myself and enjoying it.” Chloe said looking a little confused as to how she could make them all understand what she meant.

     “I better help you get the dishes done then, so you can find out for yourself.” Spirit said as she was suddenly wearing a piny ready to help wash the dishes.

    They soon had the dishes done and Chloe and Spirit went with Valarie to the living room, while Ashley sorted out the popcorn.

    Spirit was sat one side of Valarie and Chloe the other, and then Ashley joined them and sat the other side of Chloe and place the large bowl of popcorn on Chloe’s knee for them all to share while they watched the movie.

    Chloe really enjoyed the movie and she was sorry to see it end and then her mother say it was time for bed, but she was tired and went up without any fuss after she scooped up the two kittens who had jumped on her knee just before the movie started, which meant the bowl of popcorn ended up on Valarie’s knee.

    Spirit was already in the bed when Chloe got done brushing her teeth in the bathroom, and the kittens were already curled up against her.

     “Did you enjoy the movie then sis?” Spirit asked, but already knew the answer.

     “The movie was really good, but it was even more fun having a movie night with you, mum and Aunty Ash.” Chloe grinned as she slipped under the covers and then lay down so she was facing Spirit.

     “The first of many movie nights you will get to enjoy.” Spirit grinned back.

     “I wish I could look forward to that, but I can’t stop thinking about starting school tomorrow.” Chloe admitted.

     “You’ll be fine, and you have Stacey, Jade and Sophie to help you settle in.” Spirit said as she tried to help Chloe calm down.

     “I’m worried that someone will find out my secret though.”

     “Trust me sis, they won’t, and you have me to help you prove anyone wrong if they did find out that secret.” Spirit said as she took hold of Chloe’s hand and helped her to relax enough to drift off to sleep. Spirit also helped Chloe to have pleasant dreams that night.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How cute! I have three little

puppy sized dogs who love to snuggle up with anybody sitting down, or in bed. But am wondering about the new mystery and how it will impact everybody.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine