Bikini Beach: The Orphan

Printer-friendly version


Bikini Beach: The Orphan
Elrod W

A young boy, feeling unwanted in a foster home, gets a free pass to Bikini Beach as a gift. Does it hold anything special for his life?

**********


Bikini Beach: The Orphan


This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


"Austin, wait out here while I talk to the tailor," the woman said sternly. Her expression matched her words; she expected obedience. Even if she'd have been smiling, she would have still looked like a very stern librarian, devoid of any sense of humor or fun, and expecting to be in complete control. She was, sharp and critical of mistakes, and quick with her acid tongue to verbalize her displeasure.

"Yes, ma'am," Austin Jacobs replied dutifully as he sat down on the bench. He and his foster mother, Erica Lowe, were at the Overland Mall, where she was getting some alterations done on one of her dresses. Austin was a young boy, just under ten, wiry and gangly like most boys his age. Atop his head was an unkempt mop of brown hair that seemed to defy any attempt at neatness. One could see the pent-up energy in him, coiled like a spring, waiting for a chance to run and jump and play, or go to the arcade like other boys his age. But he sat, because Ms. Lowe had given him an order.

A couple sat down at a bench near his, and Austin's natural curiosity made him watch them. Both were relatively tall and thin; they looked to be about thirty or so. The woman was attractive, with neatly styled shorter hair. Her makeup wasn't overdone, and she wore nice but modest jewelry and stylish clothing — a nice beige blouse with lace trim, and darker brown slacks. The man was not quite as handsome as his wife was pretty, but he, too, seemed more dignified than most men roaming the mall in their jeans and T-shirts.

"I'm sorry, Kayla," the man said softly as he held his wife's hand. "You know the waiting list for newborns is years long, if we even qualified."

"I know, Mike," the woman answered sadly. "I just ... wanted to be a mother. I want a little girl." She wiped at a tear, and Austin could see that, despite her beauty, her eyes were full of sadness.

"I know, hon," the man replied. He, too, looked unhappy. "I set up another appointment with the agency next weekend. We'll just keep trying."

Kayla looked at him, shaking her head sadly. "Do you think we should ... look at the international options?"

Austin wondered for a moment what the couple was talking about, but his restlessness kept him from focusing on their conversation, even though part of his brain was practically screaming that they were talking about adopting children. He watched the woman, as her eyes followed a couple walking by pushing a dual stroller with twins. It looked like the woman was doing everything she could to not cry.

Quickly, he bored of listening to the couple when their conversation turned to mundane matters about their house, and shopping for new furniture. They arose, and left, leaving Austin alone in the bench area, waiting. He decided to amuse himself by watching others, as was so often the case.

Austin envied the other boys and girls walking through the mall with their friends, or with their parents. He had neither. He had only his foster parents, the Lowes, and they weren't much to talk about. They were an older couple, past having the energy to deal with a young active boy. While Mrs. Lowe was unpleasant, Mr. Lowe was nice enough, if one considered a slightly-overweight diesel mechanic to be an ideal foster dad. He worked hard, and as a result, he was usually tired when he got home in the evenings. Austin couldn't remember doing anything with Mr. Lowe — no football, no playing catch, no fishing trips. Nothing. It was almost as if Austin didn't exist to the man. What was worse was that Austin had only hazy memories of his real parents, since he'd been orphaned at four.

He didn't see the girl slip onto the bench beside him, and was startled when she said, "Hi."

Austin turned, surprised, and looked at the woman. She’s very pretty, he thought. She wore her long wavy black hair loose, cascading off her shoulders to the front and back. In a few years, Austin would have appreciated how her tight knit shirt and short shorts displayed her curves and sexy legs; as a nine-year-old, he still had the opinion that girls were aliens from another planet. That didn't, however, stop him from almost instantly developing a crush on a young lady. "Hi," he replied simply.

"You seem a little bored, Austin," the girl said with a smile.

"Yeah," the boy replied. His eyes widened when he realized, belatedly, that she'd called him by name. "How'd you know my name?"

The girl smiled. "It's a little trick I picked up from my grandmother," she said with a twinkle in her eyes. "What do you like to do for fun?"

"Fun?" Austin asked, as if surprised by the concept. "I dunno. I guess I watch TV. I want to build a tree house, but Mr. Lowe won't help, and I don't know how."

"I'm Anya," the girl said, still smiling. She held out her hand and gave Austin a handshake. "It's nice to meet you." She glanced at the store where Mrs. Lowe was. "Do you have to wait out here all the time?"

"Mrs. Lowe says I get into too much trouble in the stores," Austin replied sadly. "So I have to wait."

"What would you like to do for fun? If you could?"

Austin didn't have to think. "Get adopted by a family that did fun things, like go to Disney World, and take vacations, and have a dad that played catch and built a tree house, and ...." His words were coming at a machine-gun pace.

"Whoa," Anya said, holding up a hand to slow him down. "Have you ever been to a water park, for fun?"

Austin frowned. "No. My foster parents don't have a lot of money, and they never take me places like that. We don't even go out to movies," he complained.

Anya moved her hand, and as if by magic, what looked like tickets were there. Austin blinked his eyes; he would have sworn that her hands were empty just a second earlier.

"How would you like to spend a day at a water park that my grandmother and I own?" Anya asked.

Austin's eyes widened as he considered, momentarily at least, the offer. "But my foster mom would never take me."

Anya just smiled. "These are one-day passes, good for this weekend, for you and Mrs. Lowe to be our guests at the park — absolutely free."

"Free?" Austin's eyes were big as saucers as he considered the offer.

"You don't have to use them if you don't want. Just show them to Mrs. Lowe and maybe you can spend a fun day at the park."

"But ... she doesn't like taking stuff. She says there are always conditions," Austin replied cautiously.

Anya laughed. "Tell her that it's marketing. To get people to join our park, we're giving away samples. Just like at the store, where they have those little meatballs and sausages on toothpicks."

Austin hesitated, and then he reached up and took the tickets. "Thanks," he stammered, a sign that he was not used to generosity.

Anya stood, and gave him one more smile. "I hope to see you at the park soon." She turned and strode away, into a tiny shop with a wooden door and a bell and a strange sign.

Austin stared after her. He was stunned by how nice she was, and how pretty, too. Without knowing what it was, Austin was smitten with the pretty girl who'd given him the tickets.

**********

"Hi, Anya," Danni said with a big smile as she wrapped her friend in a big hug. "It's been too long since you stopped by."

Anya returned the enthusiasm of the embrace. "I know. The park has been pretty busy."

"And Grandmother is keeping you busy with your lessons, too, right? Between the park, your magic lessons, and Greg, it's a wonder you have any time at all!"

Anya laughed. "Grandmother said that when I turn twenty-three, I can travel to the other-realm, and time won't be a problem, because the two realms are kind of independent. I could study for weeks in the other-realm, and it would only be a few minutes here."

Danni tried to smile, but she couldn't hide her concern. "That does sound efficient. I wish the old man would let me study that way."

"You spend most of your time traveling around in the other-realm already," Anya retorted. "So don't complain that your teacher is tougher than mine!" Their jovial exchange was an outward sign of the deep friendship that existed between the two neophyte magic users.

"What's with the kid on the bench?" Danni asked bluntly. "I saw you give him two passes."

"He's an orphan," Anya answered. In that one phrase, Danni knew everything. Anya was also an orphan, and so she was sympathetic to young Austin. She was extending a kindness that he didn't usually get.

"Are you using your sight to see a future for him?" Danni asked lightly. "Because if your sight isn't that good, I can use mine."

Anya giggled. "I was not using my sight, and I wasn't planning anything. I was just being kind to a young boy."

**********

"Please?" Austin begged.

"Austin," Mrs. Lowe chided the boy as she examined the tickets Austin had shown her, "we don't do those kinds of things. You know that."

"But the tickets are free!" Austin continued the argument. "The girl said it was an advertising thing!"

Mrs. Lowe's resistance was crumbling by the thought of 'free'. The Lowes were not well-to-do, and even with the state assistance for raising a foster child, money was tight. They didn't indulge in frivolities. Besides, she was a bit plump, and didn't like how she appeared in a swimsuit. On the other hand, the tickets were free, and the ads she'd seen did make the park sound like fun. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt," she finally said softly. "Tom is working late today, so ...."

Austin's face lit up. "I'll get my swim suit." In fact he had it rolled up with a towel in his room, hoping against hope that they'd be able to go so he could have some fun. Maybe there would be kids his own age that he could play with.

His enthusiasm was barely containable, until they parked the older Ford Explorer in the parking lot. Austin didn't see many boys at all. There were a lot of girls, but no boys. Surely he wouldn't be expected to play with a bunch of girls, would he?

Mrs. Lowe, on the other hand, was feeling better about coming to the water park. She'd been very nervous about being seen in her swimsuit. Now, though, knowing that the patrons seemed to be mostly women, she didn't feel like her older, rotund body would be on display for men to ogle — not that they would anyway.

Begrudgingly, Austin trudged across the hot pavement toward the ticket booth. Mrs. Lowe was actually urging him to move faster, a complete reversal of the morning's argument.

At the ticket booth, Mrs. Lowe gave the tickets to the girl. Austin felt a flutter of something — it was the same girl from the mall who'd given him the tickets, the pretty girl with the very nice smile. As she handed the validated tickets back to Mrs. Lowe, she glanced at Austin and smiled warmly. "I hope you enjoy your visit. This is a very magical place, we've been told, and kids love it. There's an area set aside for younger swimmers called the Junior Lifeguard Academy. It's got a lot of fun activities," she said to Mrs. Lowe, "if you want to rest and catch some sun while Austin plays."

Austin melted at her smile. He was very obviously infatuated with the girl Anya, and her encouragement were like music to his ears.

"Austin, you go change in the boys' locker. Take a shower after you change; it's health department regulations, and I'll meet you over by the tables," Mrs. Lowe commanded. She handed Austin one of the two tickets to swipe through the gate.

Austin tried to hide his excitement; Mrs. Lowe seemed to have a knack for sucking the fun out of everything, often replacing it with chores and studying, and he didn't want her to know that he was having fun. Still, it was difficult; he had never been to a water park, and from what he could see through the entrance plaza, this looked like it was going to be lots of fun — even if it was overrun by girls. He scampered to the men's locker room.

After he changed, he stepped into the shower, as Anya had directed. The water was warm and felt invigorating, but Austin didn't think anything of it; he was almost overwhelmed with anticipation. He certainly didn't notice the pink mist rising from the water.

As he walked toward the exit into the park, Austin felt strange. Something wet was slapping at his shoulders, and his body seemed a bit ... different. He ignored the feeling, until he came around the corner and came face-to-face with a semi-nude young girl that was staring at him. Not being completely aware of social niceties when dealing with the opposite sex, Austin simply stood and stared, wondering if the girl was going to do something.

The image of the girl moved, twisting, without her having made a single motion, as the door opened. Slowly, it dawned on Austin that he was looking in a mirror on the door. He looked down, and he saw that his swim trunks had become a girlish bikini, and hair was dancing in his peripheral vision.

The girl, Anya, appeared in the doorway. "I bet you have a lot of questions, Austin," she said with a smile.

"What ... did you do to me?" Austin asked, terrified.

"This park is for women and girls," Anya answered. She moved her hands, and a bikini top appeared magically. "Please put this on. Topless sunbathing isn't allowed." When she saw Austin staring at the top like it was a snake, Anya helped fasten it on him.

"What's going to happen to me?" Austin's voice was timid, full of uncertainty and fear.

"Don't worry," Anya assured him. "This is only a temporary change."

"But why did you make me a girl?" He shuddered, as if being a girl was some hideous affliction.

"I told you. The park is for women and girls. You have to be a girl while you're here."

"What's Mrs. Lowe going to say?"

Anya read his expression; he was more afraid of Mrs. Lowe and her reaction than he was to his change. She smiled, hoping some friendliness would help calm the boy, and took Austin by the arm, leading him out of the locker room. "Mrs. Lowe is expecting to meet you in the plaza. As far as anyone knows, you've always been a girl. Let me demonstrate. What's your name?"

Without thinking, Austin answered. "Audrey Renee Jacobs." As soon as he said the name, Austin's eyes went wide with surprise, and he clasped his hand over his mouth, as if to prevent such words from coming out again.

"And the whole world, including Mrs. Lowe, believes that you've always been Audrey Jacobs," Anya continued. "While you're a girl, you'll find that you know how to do girl things, like dressing and washing your hair, and you'll have some girl memories. Now, why don't you go have fun? The Junior Lifeguard Academy is a fun place for girls your age. You're a little small for some of the other rides, though."

"There you are, Audrey," Mrs. Lowe called out from across the plaza. Audrey glanced at Anya, surprised, and then back at Mrs. Lowe, who was walking toward him.

"She really thinks I'm a girl?" Audrey asked hesitantly.

"Yes. So go have fun. You deserve to have a good time." Anya turned and walked back toward the gate.

**********

"You're new, aren't you?" a pre-teen girl called to Audrey as she splashed to the side of the pool. She'd been trying the 'Safety Scramble', an obstacle course over the water, and because she was shorter than most girls on the course, she couldn't quite reach the overhead net, and had, not unexpectedly, slipped and fallen into the water.

"Yeah," Audrey answered hesitantly. She wasn't sure she wanted to interact with the others, even though they'd been happily trying to get her to play. Mrs. Lowe was laying on a lounge chair, resting and soaking up sun, and Audrey was worried about how much she was watching her, ready to interrupt anything that looked like fun.

"Do you want to race?" one of the girls asked. She was about twelve, a bit older than Austin, but she seemed to have a perpetual smile or grin on her face.

"I don't think so," Audrey answered softly. "I can't swim very well." In reality, Audrey wasn't sure she wanted to play with a bunch of — ugh — girls.

"How about if a bunch of us go to some of the slides on Pele's Mountain?" the girl asked invitingly.

"I'm not sure ...." As soon as she's stopped thinking of the other kids as girls, she suddenly found herself thinking that playing with the other girls would be fun. She wasn't aware that the change had given her some 'girl' memories as well, and those memories were slowly overriding the 'boy' thoughts that playing with a bunch of girls was weird.

"It's more fun with a group, especially in the giant tube!" the girl said.

Audrey looked reflexively toward Mrs. Lowe. "I don't know if I can go."

The girl smiled. "Let's go ask. You don't know the answer if you don't ask." She took Audrey's hand and walked with her toward Mrs. Lowe.

Audrey found herself suddenly hoping that Mrs. Lowe would let her go play. "I'm Audrey," she said by way of introduction, even though she'd tried to say her real name - Austin.

"I'm Megan," the girl replied. She perked up. "I bet she'll let you come and play with us. And then I'll introduce you to my friends."

**********

"Hurry up!" Mrs. Lowe insisted. "We're going to be late." She was standing in the doorway, her purse slung over her shoulder, waiting for Audrey to finish.

Audrey ran down the stairs. "I'm ready," she said in reply. "I thought Mrs. Westman did her visits here." Audrey was having difficulty dressing like a girl, since her 'boy' memories were still getting in the way — at least until the pass expired. She had the skills, as Anya had told her, but her brain still thought like a boy. It had taken far longer than it should have for her to get dressed and get her hair combed. On top of the skills and memory issues, Audrey was tired from her day at the park. She'd really enjoyed playing with Megan and Sydney and Natty — they were the first friends she could remember, and they'd been so nice to her. Austin had no friends; at school, he was the kid everyone made fun of because he was shy and wore second-hand clothes and just didn't seem to fit in. Out of school, the Lowe's didn't allow him time to play with others.

Mrs. Lowe hadn't been too eager to let Audrey play with the girls without her close personal supervision, but Anya had intervened, and whether she'd used some magic or was just persuasive, she convinced Mrs. Lowe to enjoy her day and let the park staff watch over Audrey. After all, Anya reminded her, she didn't get a day completely to herself very often. That last argument clinched the deal; Audrey was allowed to have the run of the park — within the height limits on the rides. Tube slides, body slides, rafts, the wave pool — the girls had been on as many of them as they could before the park closed. Now, Audrey was at home, and getting ready for an unexpected night out.

Audrey wore a simple knit shirt and a pair of shorts, both of which were very feminine — and second-hand. All of her clothing was used, purchased from garage sales, thrift stores, and other discount outlets. It had been the same for Austin. The Lowes didn't spend a lot on clothing for him.

Mrs. Lowe sighed. "I told you, she wants to meet in her office. She said there's something important." She turned, and with Audrey following, walked out the door to the driveway.

Mrs. Lowe had nothing to say while they drove to the social worker's office. Audrey had no clue as to what was going on, why this visit was so different from the social worker's home visits to make sure that Audrey was doing okay in her foster home. After trying to ask a couple of questions, and getting stern non-responses, Audrey shut up.

Mrs. Lowe gave no clues as they pulled into a parking spot, nor as they walked into the social worker's office. The receptionist smiled at the girl. "How are you today, Audrey?" she asked.

Audrey flinched a bit at being called Audrey — again, but something inside made her reply. "Okay, I guess. We went to a water park today, and it was fun."

The secretary looked up from her computer monitor. "That sounds like fun. You'll have to tell me all about it. But right now, Mrs. Westman is anxious to see you and review your case." The secretary rose and led Audrey Jacobs into an office. When Mrs. Lowe tried to follow, she was blocked. "I'm sorry," the secretary said in a practiced and bored delivery of her standard speech. "This meeting is for Audrey only. I know it's unusual, but it's policy." Mrs. Lowe hesitated, as if wondering what form of protest she should make, but then she sat in one of the large overstuffed chairs in the lobby and started sorting through the magazines in search of something to read.

Without waiting for an invitation, Audrey sat down, feigning indifference, but curious about the veil of cloak-and-dagger secrecy that surrounded the meeting. Behind her, the door to the reception area had been closed. It was only Audrey and the social worker, who sat across a desk, typing at a computer with her back toward Audrey.

"I bet you're wondering why I asked for a personal visit," Mrs. Westman explained as she turned away from her computer.

"I was kind of curious," Audrey said timidly

Mrs. Westman smiled. "It wouldn’t do for you to not trust me now, after all we've been through."

"No, ma'am."

Mrs. Westman laughed. "Still so polite," she chuckled. "I'm going to miss that most of all."

Audrey's brow furrowed. "Are you getting rid of me."

"Maybe," the woman said with a broad grin. "There are some people I want you to meet. They've been married for nearly ten years, but haven't been able to have children."

Audrey's heart was racing. Did that mean that ... the couple was thinking of adopting her?

"So now, after all the paperwork they've done, it's time for you to meet them." She pressed a button on her phone and spoke into it. "Send them in, please."

When the couple walked through the door, Audrey's eyes bulged out of their sockets. This was impossible! It was the same couple she'd seen and heard in the mall, pining for a child that they couldn't have themselves. The pieces put themselves together — the couple was looking to adopt, and they wanted a girl. And right now, she was a girl — Audrey, and as a result, they were interested in her.

Audrey stood, and meekly walked to the couple. She extended her hand to the man, and then shook hands. "I'm pleased to meet you," she said hesitantly.

The man bent forward, beaming with delight. "You're a very polite little lady," he said admiringly. "I'm Mike," he announced. "Mike Hofstetter. My wife is Kayla. And what is your name, young lady?"

Audrey frowned. "I'm not a young lady," she scowled. Almost immediately, she realized her mistake. "They say I'm a tomboy," she stammered. "My name is Audrey. Audrey Renee Jacobs. I'm nine — almost ten," she added for good measure.

The woman squatted down, sitting on her heels, so she could be eye-to-eye with Audrey. "I'm very pleased to meet you. Mrs. Westman wanted us to get to know you a little bit."

"Are you ... are you going to adopt me?" Audrey blurted out, half-fearfully and half expectantly.

Mr. Hofstetter laughed. "Are you anxious to be adopted to a forever family?" he asked.

Audrey nodded, and then glanced at Ms. Westman. "My foster parents are nice and everything, but ...." She shut her mouth before she said something that got someone in trouble, possibly herself.

Mrs. Westman smiled. "We'll start by just visiting. If things go well, the Hofstetters want to take you out to dinner to get to know you better. Of course, I'll come along in case you’re nervous."

**********

Audrey lay in bed, wide awake despite the hour. She was totally confused. The meeting at the social worker's office had been unexpected, and the Hofstetters had been very nice and caring when they'd gone out to dinner. They were clearly interested in her, and it seemed to be heading toward the goal that Audrey — and Austin — had always wanted and dreamed of. The only thing was, the Hofstetters wanted a little girl. Currently, Audrey was a girl, but if Anya was to be believed, that was about to end. She glanced at the glowing numbers on the clock radio, knowing that midnight was approaching.

When the numbers ticked over to midnight, Audrey felt a slight tingle creeping through her body. Because she was so young, and not developed, the physical changes to her body were slight. Her hair receded, and the enamel on her fingernails faded until it was gone. More importantly, she could feel that her crotch was back to what she'd known all her life.

Austin stared at the clock. He knew that the Hofstetters wanted a little girl. Anya had told him that everything around him had changed to accept him as a girl. So now, if he was a boy again, had things changed back? If so, did the Hofstetters want him? He sat up, and looked around the room. In the dim moonlight filtering through the open curtains, he couldn't see much, but he could make out his football on the floor. He _had_ changed back, he knew. The football hadn't been there moments ago when he'd been Audrey. _Everything_ had changed back. And that meant ....

He slipped out of his bed and tiptoed down to the kitchen. Mrs. Lowe was meticulous about her daily appointment calendar; she erased the whiteboard first thing every morning and wrote in the new day's activities. Austin crept to the whiteboard. In the dim light, it was difficult to make out all the previous day's events, but he could see that none of them involved a trip to the social worker's office. His heart sank. If there hadn't been a trip to the social worker, then no-one wanted to adopt him, not as a boy, at least.

Slowly, dejectedly, Austin trudged back to his bedroom. He looked at the football, unused for father-son activities. He thought of the things Mr. Lowe had never done with him, and never would. He felt trapped, and hopeless.

Overwhelmed by a sense of despair and helplessness, Austin slipped on his jeans and a pair of tennis shoes, and then opened the bedroom window. Quietly, he crept out onto the garage roof, pausing to close the window behind himself. He tiptoed across the roof, wondering if the Lowes would hear him and think, perhaps, that a neighborhood cat was on the roof. By the garage was a tree — his favorite climbing tree, and it took only moments for him to shinny down to the ground.

The gate to the back yard creaked when he opened it, scaring him slightly, but when no lights came on, he slipped in and got his bike, second-hand like everything he owned or used. Lit only by the moonlight and the occasional streetlights, he pedaled down the street, still not sure why or where he was going. He just knew that he had to leave the Lowes. After being teased with the prospect of adoption, the Lowe family suddenly seemed like torture.

After several blocks, he stopped, trying to understand what he was doing, or why, but nothing came to mind. As he prepared to start riding again, he saw a car turn onto the street. Its headlights hadn't yet caught him in their glare, but Austin knew that there was a curfew, and that if he was caught, his punishment would be severe. He quickly dismounted and rolled his bike off the street and behind a bush.

The vehicle slowed, and then, mysteriously, stopped. As he peered through the bush, he saw that it was a pickup, and the passenger was rolling the window down.

"Austin," a girl's voice called softly but insistently, "will you please come out here and talk to me?"

Austin started — he recognized the voice of the pretty girl from the mall and the water park. He stood, frozen, wondering what he should do. She obviously knew that he was hiding. How, though, he didn't know, unless it was more of the magic she'd used at the water park. After having spent the day as Audrey, he didn't doubt that she had some powerful magic.

"Austin? Please come out. I need to talk to you."

Austin couldn't stop himself when he thought of the pretty girl. Slowly, he rolled his bicycle out from behind the bushes. "How did you know I was here?" he asked meekly when he got close enough to see Anya's face in the moonlight. On the door of the pickup, he could read the logo for Bikini Beach.

"Magic," Anya replied. "But you were already guessing that, weren't you?"

Austin nodded. "Yeah."

"Why are you running away?" Anya asked simply.

"No one wants me," Austin said bitterly, and he realized that he was about to cry. He took a quick breath and tried to be brave; after all, he'd heard from Mr. Lowe that big boys don't cry.

"Let's take you back home," Anya said as she climbed out of the pickup. He didn't object when she helped put his bicycle in the back of the pickup, nor when she gestured for him to crawl in.

When the interior light came on, Austin could see the driver was an older woman, much older than Mrs. Lowe or even Mrs. Westman. "Hi, Austin," she said pleasantly. She looked and sounded like a pleasant grandmother, not that Austin had one of his own as a basis of comparison. Austin had no living relatives that he knew of. "It's nice to meet you. Anya told me about your day at my water park."

Austin's eyes bulged with surprise that Anya had talked about him. He felt a bit special.

"I'm Anya's grandmother," the old woman continued.

Anya closed the door, sandwiching Austin between herself and Grandmother. "Why don't you think anyone wants you?" she asked as she buckled her seatbelt.

Austin frowned. "I heard Mrs. Lowe and Mrs. Westman saying that no-one wants to adopt older boys. Everyone wants a baby, or a little girl."

"Unfortunately, that's mostly true," Grandmother confirmed sadly as she started to drive back to the Lowe's house.

"No one ever wants to meet me," Austin replied. He sounded like he was near tears. "And the Lowes don't like me. They just like the money they get every month to keep me."

"You know," Grandmother said slowly, "there is a couple that was very interested in you. The Hofstetters."

"They want a little girl, not a boy like me," Austin countered angrily.

"Our magic could make it so that they would want to adopt you," Grandmother said enigmatically.

Austin thought for a moment, and then his eyes widened. "But the only way they'd adopt me is if I was a girl!" He pouted. "I won't be a girl! You can't make me!"

"That's the only thing I could do for you," Grandmother said. "Apart from bringing you home." She sounded sad, like she didn't really want to take Austin back to the Lowes, but that she wished she had another way to help him.

"The Lowes are going to be real mad!" Austin exclaimed as they neared the house. His eyes were wide with fear.

Anya smiled. "No, they won't."

"But ... I was running away. I broke rules by sneaking out at night!"

"I'll use some magic so your foster parents won't wake up, even if you make noise when you put your bike away and climb back up the tree to your room."

"You can do that?"

Anya nodded. "Now you need to get back to bed." She smiled at him. "Things will work out for the better. You have to believe."

**********

"All that time and money," Mrs. Lowe griped as she trudged across the parking lot, with Austin at her side, "and they still didn't get the hem right." She shook her head. "I should just demand my money back."

Whenever Mrs. Lowe had errands, Austin simply followed along. They didn't trust him at home alone, even if he had been older. Austin wasn't sure if it was because of lack of trust, or caution on their part.

Mrs. Lowe stopped by the door, and cleared her throat. Austin had been daydreaming that someone really _did_ want to adopt him. "The door," Mrs. Lowe said impatiently.

Austin grabbed the door and pulled it open for Mrs. Lowe. She demanded that he be polite, even gentlemanly, toward her and other women. As she walked past, a scornful look on her face, Austin knew that he was going to be in trouble for not being quick enough to hold the door for her.

"Now you wait here, while I go get this straightened out." She marched into the shop.

With nothing else to do, Austin sat down on a bench and started to look around. His brow furrowed in puzzlement when he saw that the strange little store, the one with its sign and door, wasn't where it had been only days before. He felt disappointment; he'd hoped that, maybe, Anya would be visiting her friend again, and he'd see her.

As he looked around more, he frowned when he saw the Hofstetters again. They were strolling casually through the mall, arm in arm, and they looked right past him, as if he wasn't even there. As he watched them, wondering if the previous day had been a dream, he saw the old woman from the park walking the other way.

Mrs. Hofstetter recognized the old woman. "Hi," she said enthusiastically, greeting her, as she gave the old woman a quick hug.

Austin peered more intently at them, wondering what was going on. They were close enough that, by concentrating, he could just barely hear their conversation.

"I haven't seen you at the park for a while," the old woman said with a smile.

"I've been a little busy," Kayla Hofstetter answered. "But since Mike has a business trip next week, I figured I'd spend a couple of days relaxing."

"You're welcome any time," the old woman answered. "I'd love to chat over coffee and a pastry, but I have to get my dress from the cleaners and get back to the park. I've got a meeting with the city council this afternoon about building permits."

Kayla and Mike nodded sympathetically. "Good luck," Mike said. "I hope you don't have any difficulties."

Grandmother smiled. "Since I'm working with Ronnie Harris on this project, I doubt that I'll have any difficulty," she said with a chuckle.

"Well, take care, and I'll see you next week. I promise," Kayla answered before she and Mike turned to stroll further away from Austin.

Austin continued to stare at Grandmother. She noticed somehow, and turned toward him, then, seeing his expression, she walked over and sat down beside him. "How are you today, Austin?"

"You lied to me!" Austin snarled angrily, his face a mask of hatred. "You tried to trick me!" He felt like Grandmother, and maybe even Anya, had tried to deceive him, and he felt betrayed.

Grandmother was puzzled. "I don't understand. How was I trying to trick you?"

"You said you could get me adopted if you turned me into a girl. But you were just trying to help your friends, weren't you?" His tone was accusatory.

Grandmother was stung by his words. "I wasn't trying to trick you," she said earnestly. "I wouldn't do that."

"So how come you know _them_? Were you trying to help them?"

Grandmother shook her head vigorously, denying his accusation. "We're friends. Mrs. Hofstetter is a member of my park, so I see her often, and I play bridge with her mother sometimes."

"But you wanted to turn me into a girl!" Austin accused.

Grandmother sighed. "If I had wanted to do that," she said patiently, "don't you think that I would have just done it?"

Austin thought for a few moments. "I guess," he said unenthusiastically, the anger gone from his voice. "Why can't you use your magic to help me get adopted?" he asked after thinking for a bit.

Grandmother closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them, Austin could see that she was sad. "I would, if I knew how. But my magic doesn't work that way."

"Oh." Austin stared at the floor, disappointed.

"If I could help you, I would," Grandmother said. "I promise. I understand what it's like to be alone, without family. And I understand more than you know." She leaned closer to Austin and lowered her voice. "I'm going to share a secret with you, if you promise not to tell anyone."

Austin's eyes widened. "I promise," he said uneasily.

"A very long time ago," Grandmother said, her voice nearly cracking with emotion, "when I was much, much younger," she paused, fighting back some powerful memories, "I had a baby, and ... I had to ... give her up. I always wondered what happened to her, and I always hoped that she found a loving family to adopt her and give her the love she deserved." She wiped at a tear that had suddenly appeared. "So you see why I have a soft spot for you, and I want to help you."

**********

Perhaps it was the knowledge that if he'd only been a girl, a family might have adopted him. Whatever the cause, the next four days with the Lowes seemed like eternity. Mrs. Lowe's errands always resulted in Austin waiting, fearful of doing something that would cause punishment, and as a result, Austin had little to do besides sit and wait.

Fun consisted of going to the library and checking out two books, knowing that, even though it was summer, Austin had to read them and write a book report on each for Mrs. Lowe to grade. Recreation was also exercise, with him riding his bike up and down his street. He asked to go to the public swimming pool, but that request had been turned down. Mrs. Lowe was still tender from sunburn from visiting Bikini Beach, and since she didn't want to go, Austin wasn't allowed either.

Austin was dragged to the grocery store, where his primary job was to maneuver the cart up and down the aisles. Austin sighed to himself as he observed Mrs. Lowe's shopping habits; a simple task like selecting a jar of peanut butter required careful examination of the labels of each brand, followed by thought about how big a jar to buy, even though she'd done that same scrutiny countless times before. That alone took six or seven minutes.

The only thing that might have seemed relief from the boredom was their routine trip to visit the social worker. Even that, though, was disappointing. He spent time alone with Mrs. Westman, telling her that yes, everything was fine, and he was being cared for. She didn't seem to care, though, that he was having no fun and was bored and frustrated.

When Mrs. Westman spent time speaking with Mrs. Lowe, Austin propped himself against the wall next to her office. The receptionist wasn't paying attention, so Austin turned his ear to the wall. He'd long since learned that the walls weren't too thick, and with Mrs. Westman's rather loud voice, he could hear what she was saying.

"He seems to be hiding some frustration," Mrs. Westman said.

"He's a boy. He's restless," Mrs. Lowe responded. Austin had to strain to hear Mrs. Lowe; her voice wasn't nearly as loud as Mrs. Westman's.

"What does he do for recreation? Does he get any exercise?"

"He rides his bike at least thirty minutes every day," Mrs. Lowe answered.

"How about other children his age? Does he have a peer group that he plays with?"

"There aren't many children in our neighborhood, so when school is out, he's mostly alone," Mrs. Lowe responded quickly. "Besides, he'd rather spend his time reading in his room."

Austin wanted to run into the door, screaming that she was lying. He hated to read, mostly because Mrs. Lowe forced him to. He wanted to go play, and there were several boys within a few blocks. The problem was that she wouldn't let him out of her sight. She and Mr. Lowe had had children, but they were grown and gone, and they had seemed to have forgotten how children acted.

"Are there any inquiries about Austin?" Mrs. Lowe asked. She sounded like she was hoping to be rid of him. Maybe _she_ wanted a foster daughter, just like everyone else.

"Unfortunately, no," Mrs. Westman answered. "Sadly, there just aren't that many people interested in adopting older boys."

Austin's heart sank as he heard the unpleasant truth — again. He felt even less wanted now than he had in a very long time.

**********

Shortly after he heard the Lowes locking the door, Austin slipped out of bed and slipped into his clothes. He lay in his bed, under the sheet, waiting to make sure that his foster parents were asleep. The minutes seemed to be like hours as he waited, wide awake and pumped with adrenaline. Finally, when he figured he couldn't wait another second, he slipped out of bed, crept to the window, opened it, and clambered out onto the garage roof. After shinnying down the tree, he retrieved his bike and mounted it. He rode, furiously at first, until he started to tire. Still, he kept riding, wanting to get away from his foster home, his determination overriding his fatigue.

**********

As Anya turned in the parking lot, toward her reserved spot, she frowned. Something didn't look right near the office. Even in early morning, with the long shadows cast by the rising sun, something seemed out of place. She took her foot off the accelerator, and reached out with her magic senses. Her eyes widened as she realized what was out of place.

Before she got out of her car, Anya dialed Grandmother on her cell phone. "Grandmother," she said as soon as the old woman had answered, "it looks like Austin has come to visit."

"What?" Grandmother asked. "This early?"

Anya nodded as she climbed out of her Miata. "It looks like he ran away from home and came to the park. He's curled up by the door, and his bike is propped in the bushes."

"I'll be right there."

"Should I call the police?" Anya asked.

"Call Jana. Tell her not to rush, because I want to find out what's going on first."

"Do I tell her about ...?"

"Tell her what she needs to know. She knows about our magic, so she'll be discrete if needed."

Anya tucked her cell phone in her purse and walked over to the doorway, stooping over the sleeping boy. "Austin," she called softly as she shook his shoulder. "Austin, wake up."

Slowly, the sleeping boy's eyes opened. "Huh?" he stammered, still half asleep.

"Austin, do you know where you are?" Anya asked.

"Uh, uh."

"You're at our water park," she answered. She pressed the combination on the keypad and opened the office door. "Let's get you inside and get you something to drink." She helped the sleepy boy to his feet and guided him into the office. "And I bet you need to use a restroom, too."

Austin sat silently in the office, sipping a soda, as Grandmother came in. Before she even greeted Anya, she turned to the boy. "How are you today, Austin?" she asked in a pleasant greeting.

Grandmother flinched when he looked up at her. His eyes reflected an incredible sadness, a mirror of his feeling of being completely unwanted and unloved.

"Why did you come here, Austin?" Grandmother asked.

Austin wiped at the tears that were forming in his eyes. "They don't love me," he sobbed. "They don't really want me. All they want is the money. No-one wants me."

"That's not true," Anya tried to reassure the boy as she sat beside him.

Austin shook his head. "They don't let me play with any boys in the neighborhood. They don't take me anywhere. They're too old to do anything fun with me."

"What do you want from us?" Grandmother asked bluntly. "Why are you here?"

"I dunno," Austin mumbled. He looked down at the floor. "I hate my life. I wish I'd never been born."

Anya recoiled at his words; she knew he was unhappy, but talking like this? But then her face brightened. She picked up her phone and dialed a number. "I've got an idea." She waited a moment for her call to go through. "Hi, Jen? It's me, Anya. Can you please send Natty over to the office right away? It's important. Thanks. Bye."

**********

Austin and Natty sat on a bench outside the park. It was still early, and patrons hadn't started arriving, so it was peacefully quiet. Behind them, in the parking lot, a police car sat, but the officer was in the office talking to Anya and Grandmother rather than watching the runaway.

"No-one knows what it's like," Austin complained again.

Natalya smiled at him. "You'd be surprised," she said. "I'm an orphan, too.

Austin's eyes widened. "You?"

Natalya nodded sadly. "My parents ... died in a car wreck." Natalya was unsuccessfully fighting back tears at the memory.

"But you grew up with parents," Austin countered. "I've never had anyone, not since I was four. No mom, no dad, no grandparents, no cousins. Nobody. I've been alone all my life." His words were more sad than bitter, even though he probably had cause to be angry at his fate.

"Maybe not," Natty said, "but some of us know what it's like to be alone."

"Are you adopted?" Austin asked hesitantly.

Natty shook her head. "I'm living with my cousin Jenny. She's my guardian."

"See," Austin cried, "you've got someone! No-one knows what it's like!"

"But I understand how it feels to be alone," Natty said again. "And so does Anya."

"Anya?" Austin was surprised. "But she has her grandmother," he replied after thinking for a few moments. "I don't have anyone. I don't have any friends, either. I'm alone with my foster parents."

Natty knew that Austin wasn't in the mood to listen. "Don’t you talk to a social worker or counselor?"

Austin shook his head. "Mrs. Westman doesn't care how I feel," he complained. "As long as I'm not being hurt, she doesn't have to worry about me. The Lowes can't afford to send me to a counselor, and if Mrs. Westman doesn't approve it, they won't pay either."

"You don't like your foster parents, do you?" Natty asked bluntly.

"No," Austin answered simply. "They're old, and they don't have any fun. They won't let me play with kids in the neighborhood, even." He looked at the ground. "I'm going to get in big trouble for running away, and then it'll be worse."

Natty stared at him for a few moments, until Austin felt uncomfortable. "You were in the water park the other day, weren't you?" It didn't sound like a question, but more like an assertion of fact.

Austin suddenly worried about what had happened. Grandmother said that no-one would know. "I don't know what you're talking about," he lied.

"You _were_ in the park! You ... were Audrey, right?" Natty said with certainty.

"How ... how do you know?" Austin stammered. Grandmother had assured him that no-one but her and Anya would know.

Natty smiled. "I know how the magic works. I think I've even got some special memory because I spend so much time there with my cousin."

"Oh." Austin sat silently for a few moments. "What do you do for fun?"

"I hang out with my friends," Natty answered immediately. "Sometimes, I help Jen in the park. Sometimes, my friends and I have sleepovers."

"That sounds like fun," Austin said morosely. "I've never done any of that." Another thought came to mind. "How about chores? Do you have to do a lot? Or reading or homework?"

Natty laughed. "Jen and Melinda make sure I do my share. I do the dishes at least three times a week, and I have to do at least one load of laundry each week. I have to vacuum, too." She laughed. "Melinda takes me to the college library sometimes when I need to study. It's quiet, and she's a great tutor." She realized how odd his question had been. "What about you? Do you have to do a lot of chores?"

Austin nodded. "I have to do the dishes every day, and all of my laundry and all the vacuuming and cleaning and trash."

"Oh," Natty said. "That sounds like a lot."

"Mrs. Lowe has bad knees and a bad back, so she said I need to help out. When I get a little older, Mr. Lowe said I was going to have to mow the lawn, too." He sighed. "I have to read or study at least one hour every day, even on weekends."

"Has anyone talked about adopting you?" Natty asked hesitantly. She knew it would be a sensitive subject for Austin.

He shook his head sadly. "Only the Hofstetters," he said, "and that was only when I was a girl. Mrs. Westman said that nobody wants to adopt older boys like me."

"Then it's simple," Natty said. "Just change into a girl."

Austin's eyes widened with surprise, and even shock, at Natty's suggestion. "I don't want to be a girl!" Austin cried. "It's ...."

"What's the big deal?" Natty asked with a laugh. "I bet there are more girls in your school than boys, and _we_ do okay!"

"But ...." Austin tried to protest.

"You can always get a pass for a week or so, and see what it's like," Natty added.

**********

"So what am I supposed to do?" Jana asked of Grandmother. "He's unhappy, but that's not an excuse to run away, and his foster parents have reported him running away. My hands are tied. I have to take him to the social worker, and he'll either go back to his foster parents, or in worst case, to the orphanage."

Grandmother shook her head sadly. "I don't know what to do. But Austin is going to get in trouble with the foster parents, and I don't get the impression that the social worker really cares." She sighed heavily. "That's no way to grow up — feeling like nobody cares and not having any family." She remembered a time when a teenager girl fled her home, moved halfway around the world, and had to start a new life without any friends or family. Her heart ached for Austin's plight. She, at least, had some happy childhood memories of family to look back on, before she'd had to grow up really fast. He had none.

"Can't you file a report that suggests emotional abuse?" Anya prompted. "That would get Child Services looking at his case again."

Jana shook her head. "With all the budget cuts, I'm guessing that Child Services doesn't have the resources to investigate the social worker, or to move his case to a new one, and he's going to be stuck. Or, if they do investigate, he'll go to the orphanage. Is that what you want for him?" She closed her eyes for a few moments. "And now, as a runaway, he'll be tagged as a malcontent, which will make it harder for him to get a new set of foster parents. I'm sorry, but there's not a lot I can do."

Grandmother's eyes brightened. "What if he _hadn't_ run away?" she said enigmatically.

"The report was filed. That can't be undone."

"A _boy_ ran away. Maybe," Grandmother continued, "a little girl didn't, and she wouldn't get in trouble."

"But when he changes back," Anya said, shaking her head, "he'd have run away again. It won't work."

"I can't stall much longer, either," Jana said. "The foster parents are anxious to get him home again, and I've got to report to Child Services."

"Let me change him for a day," Grandmother pleaded. "I need some time to figure out how to help him."

Jana and Anya sat, amazed at the urgency of Grandmother's arguments. It was like she was taking Austin's case personally. Still, things had been set in motion, and there wasn't a lot that could be done to stop them.

Suddenly, though, Anya thought she understood where Grandmother's thoughts were going. She walked to the door and called in the two children.

Austin sat down, looking forlorn. "I'm in trouble, aren't I?" he asked as he glanced at Jana, in her police uniform.

Jana nodded. "Yes, you are," she said. "Running away is pretty serious."

"I can make it so that you _won't_ be in trouble," Grandmother said bluntly. "But only for a little while."

"I don't understand."

"But it'll take some help from Natty," Grandmother continued. She saw that she had everyone's attention. "If I give you a pass, then you'll be a girl for a few days. Anya can work the magic so that you stayed overnight with Natalya, and you wouldn't have run away."

Anya shook her head. "All that will do, Grandmother, is delay the inevitable. I don't see _how_ we can help Austin!" She sounded unhappy, and perhaps a little distraught.

"It'll buy some time," Grandmother pleaded. She crossed to where Austin sat, and squatted in front of him. "Please give me some time so I can try to find a way to help you," she asked.

Austin looked at her, at the pained expression on her face. He understood that she _really_ wanted to help him, and since she'd shared her secret, he knew why. She was the first person in a long time who wanted to help him. Slowly, he found himself nodding.

**********

Audrey felt a little jealous; the other girls were a year or two older, and they had an advantage on both the climbing wall and on the obstacle course. She knew that she couldn't hope to win. But still, she was having fun.

She reached for the last handhold near the top of the wall, and found herself starting to slip. Knowing that all the other girls had made it to the top and had gotten the brass rings for free ice cream, Audrey felt a desperate need to complete the climb. She lurched toward the big handhold, and caught it just before she lost her footing. In shoes, the wall would have been challenging. With wet feet, it felt impossible. But Audrey was determined, and she clung with both hands to solid handholds.

She swung her leg back toward a foothold, and managed to find secure footing. After that, it was a simple matter to get her other foot on a perch, and then pull herself up the last few feet. In seconds, she was sitting atop the wall, like Megan, Natty, and Sydney had done quite a while earlier. "Just like climbing the oak tree," Audrey said to herself.

She looked around, and spotted the holder with the brass rings. She took one, and held it up triumphantly for the others to see. Then, like they had, she jumped off the wall.

Her impact on the water was harder than she'd expected, because the jump was higher than it looked; it stunned her momentarily, almost knocking the wind out of the small girl. She sputtered and clawed her way to the surface, gasping for air. Only then did she realize that, in the impact, she'd lost hold of the precious ring.

Megan realized that Audrey had lost the ring almost as soon as she saw the distressed look on Audrey's face. She dove into the water, and in a few strokes, was at Audrey's side. "Are you okay?" she asked, not even out of breath.

Audrey looked like she was about to cry. "I lost it," she said, almost wailing. "When I hit the water, I lost it!"

Megan nodded, then did a surface dive and swam to the bottom of the pool. It was deep in the area, over ten feet, and it took a couple of tries, but Megan finally surfaced with a ring in her hand. She handed it back to Audrey. "Here," she said with a smile. "Now we can go get some ice cream."

As the girls walked toward the dining veranda in the Wild Rivers area of the park, Megan turned to Audrey. "I'm glad you could come to Natty's sleepover," she said. "I hope you had fun."

Audrey felt a thrill that she'd never experienced — some kids nearly her own age were playing with her, and saying that they enjoyed her company. "It was a lot of fun," she agreed.

Sydney grinned. "Then we'll have to plan another one. Maybe if we do it at my place, we'll have room for more. I wish that Brooke and Lauren could have been there."

Natty chuckled. "I don't think Melinda or Jen would have been happy with seven or eight girls. I think four was all they could stand."

Megan laughed aloud. "They didn't seem to mind us," she retorted. "I think they enjoy having us around."

Audrey felt a wave of sadness overtake her. She wiped at the sudden tears which had started leaking from her eyes. Natty noticed. "What's wrong?" she asked, concern in her voice.

Audrey shook her head. "I don't know," she said, fighting back tears. "It's just ... I wish I had a home where I could have a sleepover!"

Megan gave Audrey a hug. "I know you're sad. But we're always here for you, and one day, you'll have a forever family."

Natty squeezed Audrey's hand reassuringly. "I heard that there's a family that you met, that might adopt you."

Megan and Sydney both squealed with happiness for Audrey, but then their expressions turned sad. "I hope when they do, they don't move away!" Sydney said quickly, her forehead wrinkled with worry. She'd quickly become friends with Audrey.

"I don't even know if they want to ... adopt me," Audrey stammered. "I don't want to get my hopes up."

At that moment, Anya came around the corner, straight toward the girls. It was as if she knew exactly where the girls were. "Audrey," she called as she neared the group of noisy, playing girls.

The girls stopped, looking at Anya, wondering what was going on.

"Audrey," Anya repeated, now only a few yards from the group. "Your mom said that you need to go change and get dressed. You've got to go home and change, because the social worker wants another meeting."

Audrey glanced around her new friends. This meant either trouble, or something good. "Okay," she said to Anya. She gave the girls quick hugs. "Thanks," she said, truly meaning it. She'd had fun with the girls, perhaps more fun than Austin had ever had, and she didn't want to leave. At the same time, another meeting with Mrs. Westman, so close to the last one, and after meeting the Hofstetters, probably meant one thing — they _were_ interested in her.

Almost an hour later, wearing the best blouse she had, and the least worn jeans, Audrey sat with Mrs. Lowe in the car, driving toward the social worker's office. Mrs. Lowe hadn't said a word; if anything, she seemed a bit upset that Audrey was being considered for adoption.

As Audrey had hoped, the Hofstetters were at the office, and they immediately hugged Audrey as soon as she walked in the door. Audrey was startled, but felt a thrill in her heart. There was more physical affection in their two hugs than Austin had experienced in years with the Lowes.

Mrs. Westman waited until the greetings were over. "Audrey," she said, "the Hofstetters want to take you out for a little shopping, and then dinner. Is that okay with you?"

Audrey glanced at the Hofstetters, not quite believing what she was experiencing. Kayla nodded, smiling. She turned back to Mrs. Westman. "Yeah," she said, trying to contain her excitement.

"Of course," Mrs. Westman added, "I'll be along as a chaperone. It's standard policy."

"We understand," Mike Hofstetter replied easily. He turned to Audrey. "What's your favorite kind of food?"

Audrey was starting to feel overwhelmed. The Lowes never ate anything but standard American fare of meat and potatoes. They never dined out. Audrey had never tasted anything Mexican, Chinese, or Italian, let alone Thai, Greek, or any other foreign fare. She really didn't know how to answer, especially in front of Mrs. Lowe. "Anything, I guess."

**********

Laboriously, Austin heaved at the overloaded shopping cart, trying to get it around the corner without knocking over one of the many displays. The intrusive stacks of goods were everywhere, making the aisles into obstacle courses. On top of that, Mrs. Lowe had already chided him twice for not keeping up with her.

He breathed a sigh of relief once he successfully navigated around the corner. Mrs. Lowe was busy in the meat section, poring over labels and doing price comparisons, as she mentally tried to plan at least two-weeks' worth of menus. This trip was bigger; they'd just gotten the check from Children Services for Austin's expenses, and it was time to stock up on food.

"Hi, Austin," he heard from behind him.

He spun at the sound of his name, right into a hug from Natty. She was grinning, happy to see him. "How's it going?"

Austin sighed. "It was okay," he said, trying not to complain. "Until I changed back," he added softly, so that only Natty would hear him.

"What happened?"

"I got in trouble," Austin replied heavily. "Just like Grandmother said I would. The way things are now, I ran away, and Officer Jana had to bring me home. I'm grounded, and I've got extra chores for the next two months."

Natty's smile disappeared. "That's too bad," she said, meaning it. "I was hoping that you could come play with us at the park again. That was fun."

Austin nodded, a wistful expression on his face as he recalled the blissful week. He'd been able to go to the park several times, and had always had fun playing with Natty and her friends. "Yeah, it was." His frown reappeared. "But that's over, and now I'm in trouble."

"It didn't have to be over," Natty said softly.

"Grandmother _did_ offer you a permanent change," Melinda said, just as softly.

Austin was shocked. He hadn't expected that Melinda would be listening in on his and Natty's conversation. "But ... I ... I just couldn't." He saw Mrs. Lowe starting to make her meat selections. "I've got to go, or I'll get in more trouble," he said.

Natty gave him a quick hug. "Bye. I hope I'll see you around soon."

Austin permitted himself a tiny smile. It felt nice to be hugged, even if it was only a friend. "I wish we were in the same school," he said. He turned, and with a mighty heave, he started the cart moving again, toward his foster mother

Natty watched him go. She turned to Melinda after she saw Mrs. Lowe scolding Austin. "It's not fair," she complained. "He could change, and everything would be better."

Melinda put her hand on Natty's shoulder. "It's his choice," she reminded Natty. "No-one can make that decision for him." She saw Natty's expression, and shrugged. "And no, Jen and I are not going to try to adopt him," she added quickly. "Besides, you know that Children's Services doesn't place children in ... homes like ours."

Natty nodded somberly. "I know. It's not fair. Besides, if you did, I'd want her as a little sister, not as a little brother." She wrinkled her nose. "I know how much trouble boys can be!" she added with a laugh.

"So do I," Melinda giggled. "Now, let's get the ice cream so we can go over to mom's house for sundaes."

**********

Natty purred contentedly as she let the first spoonful of the sundae melt in her mouth. "You make the best sundaes, Nana," she said.

Joan Fischer smiled. "That's because I always add an extra dose of 'grandmother love', dear." She reveled in how Natty was referring to her as family; as far back as she could remember, grandmothers were always called 'Nana', and she didn't mind carrying on the tradition, even if Natty wasn't formally her granddaughter.

"You make it hard to keep my figure," Melinda chuckled. "You _know_ I've got a sweet tooth."

Joan laughed. "You two play so hard when you go to Bikini Beach that I think you could eat three or four of my sundaes every day and not gain an ounce!" She noticed something in Natty's expression. "Okay, Natty," she said in a gentle but firm voice, "something's bothering you. Out with it."

Natty glanced at Melinda, surprised. She thought she was keeping a secret.

Melinda laughed. "Don't ever doubt Nana's ability to figure out when something's bothering you. You might as well talk, before she gets to more ... elaborate ... tortures!"

Natty turned back to Joan. "I'm ... sad for a friend," she said softly.

"Oh?"

"He's ... an orphan, like I am, but he's in a foster family. They're not very nice to him. They don't let him do anything fun."

Joan scowled slightly. "Are they mistreating him?" She was instantly worried about child abuse; as a former teacher, she'd been to a lot of seminars and workshops on child abuse detection and prevention.

"No," Natty admitted. "But he's too old to be adopted."

"Nonsense!" Joan scoffed. "You're never too old."

"The bad thing is, after he spent some time at the park, some people _were_ interested, if he was a girl instead of a boy."

"I take it he doesn't want to be a girl," Joan observed.

"I don't know. But he spent another time — over a week — as Audrey, and she was at a sleepover at my house with Megan and Sydney, and we had a lot of fun."

"I gather that you'd like it if he stayed a girl," Melinda commented.

"Well, yeah," Natty replied quickly. "She could have a family, and a lot of friends. But I don't think he knows if he wants to be a girl."

Joan took a sip of coffee. "Not everyone can be a girl," she observed. "You can't hope all your friends change, like you did."

"I'd be happy if someone wanted to adopt him as Austin," Natty said. "It's so sad that he doesn't have anyone."

Joan held her coffee cup in both hands and took a sip. She had a thoughtful expression on her face. Melinda noticed. "What are you thinking, Mom?" she asked

Joan slowly lowered her cup and shrugged. "Nothing."

"Mom," Melinda said, a little more sternly, "you're not the only one who can tell. What's up?"

Joan set her cup down. "I was just thinking that it might be nice to have a child around the house again."

Melinda's eyes nearly bulged from their sockets. "What? You can't be serious!"

Joan smiled. "Your father and I, to be honest, miss having little ones around. Beth goes off to college next year, and we'll be empty-nesters. I know your father misses having someone to take fishing. He's missed that for years, now." She laughed lightly. "I bet you didn't know that, last year, we talked about becoming foster parents."

Melinda was stunned, almost beyond words. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?" she asked slowly.

"I think I need to talk to Tom," Joan said with a slight smile, "and then, maybe, we should meet Austin. Maybe we should think about going the extra step, and ...."

"Mom, that's crazy," Melinda stammered. "You can't just decide to adopt a child based on ... an afternoon conversation over ice cream!"

"Maybe," Joan lifted her cup to take another sip, "and maybe not."

"If you adopted him, he'd be my little brother," Melinda said, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, "and that would make him your uncle!" She saw Natty's horrified expression, and she started to laugh with her mother at her joke.

**********

Austin's face bore a mixture of fear and bewilderment. He didn't know why he'd been called to Mrs. Westman's office — again, but while he'd been Audrey, that had been good news about possible adoption. Now, though, as Austin, there were no potential parents, and he _had_ gotten in serious trouble for running away. He was terribly afraid that he was going to have to go to the orphanage after his little escape. As much as he disliked the Lowes and their lack of affection, he hated the orphanage more.

The receptionist read Austin's expression as he and Mrs. Lowe walked in. "Sit down, please," she said cheerfully. "Mrs. Westman will be right with you. It's good news, too, I think."

Austin relaxed a bit. He glanced nervously at Mrs. Lowe, hoping to get some clue about why he was here — again. Unfortunately for him, either she also had no idea, or kept a good poker-face.

The few minutes of wait seemed to drag on forever. Despite the cheerful greeting, and reassuring words from the secretary, Austin couldn't help but fear that something big was going on, and he was about to lose — again.

The door opened, and Mrs. Westman stepped into the frame. "Austin? Would you please come in?"

Austin glanced once more at Mrs. Lowe, and then at the secretary, desperately seeking a clue, as he walked into the office.

His mouth dropped open in surprise, and he stopped, stunned. There were two people in the office, somewhat older, but still younger than the Lowes, and they were looking eagerly at the door — at him!

The woman stood and walked to Austin, extending her hand. "Hi, Austin," she said warmly. "I'm Joan Fischer." Her voice was soothingly warm, comforting, and very friendly. "I think we have a mutual friend." She saw his puzzled look. "Natalya is our ... granddaughter, if you want to call it that."

"You're ...?" He was too stunned to complete the sentence.

The man smiled. "We're Melinda's parents. I'm Tom. After the way Natty talked about you, we wanted to meet you."

Austin let himself be guided to a seat. His mouth hung agape in shock at what was happening. If they wanted to meet him at the Child Services office, then that could only mean that .... He felt faint at the way these impossible things were happening.

"Normally," Mrs. Westman explained, "we wouldn't let you meet prospective parents until after they had a lot of paperwork done. But it seems that the Fischers had inquired about being foster parents last year, and a lot of the ... investigations ... were already done."

"You mean," Austin stammered, "you might want ...?"

Joan smiled. "Our youngest daughter will be leaving next year, and we're going to miss having children around. We realized, with Natty, that we love having her around."

"Joan and I spent a lot of time talking with Natty and Melinda," Tom continued. "We decided that we'd like to meet you."

The next hour was a blur to Austin. The Fischers were very proud of Natty, and it was obvious that she'd spent a lot of time talking to her 'grandparents' about him. As they were preparing to leave, Joan stooped over and gave Austin a goodbye hug. "It was nice to meet you," she said. And then, in a whisper, she added, "and we'd be happy with you, either way."

Austin's eyes widened at her words, and as she straightened, she winked at him. She _did_ know the secret — that Austin had spent time as a girl, Audrey. He suspected that Natty had told her 'grandmother' all about it, if Mrs. Fischer didn't already know the secret of Bikini Beach.

On the ride home, Austin sat in silence, not that Mrs. Lowe had anything interesting to converse with him about anyway. Natty's grandparents might want to adopt him? And the Hofstetters definitely wanted to adopt Audrey? It was a dream come true for him — and also a nightmare. He had to choose now. He didn't like the thought of having to make such a decision that would affect the rest of his life.

**********

Austin _hated_ sitting at the beauty parlor, waiting for Mrs. Lowe to get her hair cut. It was an ordeal that, fortunately, he had to endure only once every other month. Except that time there was a family party, and she'd had to get a perm, Austin reminded himself.

The smell of the chemicals, the idle chatter of the older women, the noise of the hair dryers, and the constant snip-snip of the scissors were enough to drive him mad, he thought. It couldn't get much worse. He'd brought a book to read; long ago, he'd learned that the shop had no magazines that would interest a young boy. Much as he hated his 'reading homework', it was still better than the gossip and women's magazines.

"Hi, Austin!" Natty practically skipped across the shop to sit next to him. "How's it going?" Jen came in behind her and sat next to Natty. She ignored the standard magazine fare; she'd brought her own trade magazine of water parks and equipment and such. She smiled contentedly as she settled in to read, a luxury she didn't have while she was at work.

Austin breathed a sigh of relief. Talking to Natty would be a great distraction. "Uh, okay, I guess," he replied hesitantly.

"I heard you had a meeting with the social worker," Natty said happily. "And with some ... other people!" She was grinning.

Austin nodded sheepishly. He hated to admit what was happening; he felt like it would jinx him to talk about it hopefully. "Yeah," he admitted.

"Who were they?" she asked knowingly. She looked like she would burst if Austin didn't tell her more details than what she already knew.

"It was Melinda's parents," Austin said softly. "They're thinking of ...." He paused, and saw the twinkle in Natty's eyes. "Did you tell them about me?" he asked cautiously.

Natty nodded. "I hope you don't get mad, but I wanted to help. You're a good friend — either way," she added with a wink.

"Did you tell your ... grandmother ... about, you know?"

Natty nodded, looking like she'd been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. "Yeah," she admitted. "But she already knew about the park." She glanced around to make sure their conversation was private. "So what are you going to do?"

Austin sighed and shook his head. "I don't know," he admitted. "Your grandparents are nice and everything, but the Hofstetters are really nice, too."

"Maybe you should talk to Grandmother some more," Natty said. When she saw the confused look on Austin's face, she continued, "not _my_ grandmother, but Grandmother from the park. Anya's grandmother."

"Oh." That made more sense to Austin. "Yeah, maybe," he agreed. "But I'm still grounded, and I'll never be able to talk to her."

Natty smiled. "Leave that to me." She took out her cell phone and fiddled a bit, sending a text message.

Austin was curious, and he tried to see what she was doing. She noticed, and pulled her phone out of his view. "Ah, ah," she said. "You don't need to know all my secrets." She hit the send button, and the phone made it's 'whoosh' sound when the message was sent.

"What do you think I should do?" Austin asked his friend. "Do you ... want me to stay a boy, like I am?" He wondered if perhaps Natty liked him as a boy.

Natty knew immediately what he was talking about. "Uh, you're a friend, whichever way," she said hastily. "And, I have a ... boyfriend," she added.

"It'd be easier to be friends if I was a girl, wouldn't it?" Austin inquired. He was relatively certain that he knew the answer, but, having had little social interaction with other kids his age, he needed Natty to confirm what he thought.

Natty nodded silently. She changed the direction of the conversation. "What was your favorite ride at the park?" she asked.

For the next several minutes, while Mrs. Lowe sat reading a magazine and waiting for her turn with the stylist, Austin and Natalya chatted about the park, school, and other 'kid' things.

The bell above the door tinkled, and the two kids looked up to see who was coming in. Natty's face lit up as soon as she recognized the newcomer. She practically leaped from her chair and ran to wrap the old woman in a big hug. "Hi, Grandmother," she said warmly.

"I got your message," Grandmother replied cheerfully, "and I got here as soon as I could. Sorry it took so long." She walked across the waiting area and sat down by Austin. Natty sat on the other side of him, sandwiching him between the two. "It's nice to see you again, Austin. Natalya said that you wanted to talk to me."

Austin turned and shot a wondering look at Natty, then turned back to Grandmother. "I'm ... confused," he admitted softly. "Everything is happening so fast."

Grandmother smiled at him. "Does it matter which way you decide?" she asked. Her implication was clear — she was talking about whether Austin took up her offer for a permanent change.

"I don't know," Austin admitted. "I ... like spending time with Natty and Megan and the others, but ... I've always been a boy."

"And you're afraid that you don't know how to be a girl, is that it?" Grandmother asked bluntly. "What's the most important thing for you right now?"

"To be adopted," Austin answered automatically. "To have a family that shows that they love me and treat me like I'm special."

Grandmother smiled. "I bet you think you had a tough time adjusting to being a girl, right? And you're not sure you could do that permanently?"

Austin nodded. "Yeah." He glanced nervously at Natty. "I guess it comes down to whether I like the Hofstetters or the Fischers," he said softly.

Natty put her hand on his arm. Austin knew which way she was leaning — maybe. Then again, he realized that maybe he _didn't_ know what his friend would advise him.

"Austin!" Mrs. Lowe's voice was sharp, cutting over the background din of the beauty shop.

Austin spun, startled. "Yes, ma'am?" he replied automatically. She was walking over toward him.

"You know the rules," she said sternly. She was going to remind him not to talk to strangers, especially since he was still grounded.

Grandmother must have read her mind. "It's okay," she whispered to Austin. She turned to Mrs. Lowe. "I hope you'll indulge a businesswoman trying to get customer's opinions of my park," she said in a friendly, charming voice. "I always like to know what my patrons think, so I can fix anything that's wrong."

Mrs. Lowe stopped short of the stinging rebuke she was ready to deliver to Austin. "I think I understand," she stammered instead.

Austin saw Grandmother's hands move in a strange pattern, and she mouthed a few words. Mrs. Lowe looked confused for a brief moment, and then her demeanor changed. Gone was the angry glare in her eyes and the stern frown.

"Since Austin is friends with Natty," Grandmother continued, "I was about to ask you if I could take them for ice cream? I can drive him home, too, so as not to impose on you."

Mrs. Lowe smiled — almost. "Since they're friends, I guess that would be okay." She looked like she was confused at the words coming out of her mouth.

Grandmother smiled, and stood. "Well, then, children," she said in a warm, friendly voice, "why don't we go get some ice cream?" She turned to Mrs. Lowe. "I promise to have him home by five, so he can help with dinner. Will that be okay?"

Mrs. Lowe nodded dumbly, and then she turned back to her chair. Austin watched the whole spectacle in amazement. The old woman really knew some tricks, he thought to himself. He didn't think that getting her angry would be a very wise move.

**********

Austin sat in the office with Grandmother and Natty, finishing his ice cream. "Thank you," he said as soon as his mouth was empty.

Grandmother smiled. "I like to help when I can."

"What's ... what's going to happen to me?" Austin asked cautiously.

"What makes you think that I can tell your future?" Grandmother asked without batting an eye. Natty snickered at the exchange.

Austin stared at her for a moment, and then dropped his gaze. "I ... just thought, that with all you magic ...."

Grandmother sighed. "It all comes down to how long you want to wait," she admitted. "The Hofstetters can adopt you within two weeks, since all their paperwork is done. But the Fischers," she shook her head. "It'll take eight or nine months for all the approvals."

Austin's face fell. "Eight or nine months?" he wailed. "Do you know what that will be like?" Tears started to form in his eyes. "After ... such nice days with the Hofstetters, I can't take any more of my foster parents," he cried. "They're ... cold. They hate me!" He wiped at his tears, knowing that he was breaking one of Mr. Lowe's rules about boys crying.

Natty moved next to him and wrapped her arms around him in a supportive hug. "It'll be okay," she said in a soothing voice.

"No, it won't!" Austin bawled. "I ... can't live with them anymore! It's too hard!" He looked up at Grandmother, his eyes pleading. "Since I ran away, I haven't had _any_ play time! All they do is make me do chores! And Mrs. Westman doesn't care! Mrs. Lowe has her fooled!"

Grandmother nodded. "What do you want me to do?" she asked.

"Can you show me ... if I'll be happy ... with the Hofstetters?" he asked through his tears.

Grandmother smiled. "I think I can." She rose and walked to a filing cabinet. From the back of the bottom drawer, she pulled out something large and round, wrapped in a red cloth. She carried it back to her desk as if it were the most delicate thing on earth, and carefully set it down. From the red cloth, she took a small wooden stand, and then she pulled out what looked like a crystal ball. Grandmother smiled at Austin. "I haven't used this in a very long time," she said in a hushed, almost reverent tone.

"Are you ... are you a gypsy?" Austin asked, fear in his voice.

Grandmother smiled warmly at him as she set the crystal ball in the stand. "I just know a few tricks from the old country," she explained. "Now sit over here, in these chairs," she indicated two leather chairs opposite her own at her desk, "and put your hands on the desk. You too, Natty."

As soon as the children were seated properly, Grandmother dimmed the lights, and then began to swirl her hands around the ball, her fingertips making intricate motions as she canted some strange words.

Austin and Natty sat, awestruck, as the ball clouded, and then images began to slowly form in the mist inside the ball. As they stared, they saw the image clearly. A girl, tall and lithe, was wearing a very fancy dress, with her hair elegantly styled and her makeup picture-perfect, and she was smiling. Beside her, her mother was crying and smiling at the same time. The mother hugged the girl, and told her to have a good time. Next, the father wrapped his arms tightly around the girl. He, too, had tears in his eyes. He told the girl how pretty she was, and hoped that she had a good time. The girl smiled, kissed her dad on the cheek, and promised that she'd behave, and would be home by one.

The image dissolved into the mist again. Once the ball cleared, Grandmother waved her hand and the lights came back on.

"Well?" Grandmother asked. "Does that look happy?"

"It looked like the girl was getting ready for a fancy dance," Natty commented, "or maybe a prom?"

Grandmother nodded. She looked at Austin. "What do you think? Did the parents love their daughter? Was she happy?"

Austin nodded slowly. "Will it be hard for me to get used to being a girl?" He sounded hesitant, even fearful.

Grandmother winked at Natty, then smiled at Austin. "Was it hard getting used to being a girl during your two-week pass?"

Austin thought a moment. "Not really. Not when I didn't think about it." He wiped at his tears again. "I wish I wouldn't have to wait so long for the Fischers," he said. He glanced at Natty. "Then I'd be your uncle," he said, repeating the joke Melinda had made.

Natty smiled. "You'll be my friend either way."

Austin swallowed hard. He had to make a tough decision. Finally, after a very long silence, he looked up at Grandmother. "I'd like ... to have a pass," he said in a squeaky, hesitant voice. "I can't live with the Lowe's any more. Not knowing what I know now. But I can't pay," he added sadly. "So I guess I'll _have_ to wait with them."

Grandmother smiled. "This one is on me." Natty looked shocked at her words. "You know why."

Austin leaped from his chair and ran around the desk, wrapping his arms around the old woman. Tears flowed again, but this time, they were tears of gratitude.

**********

"Can I go to the Academy, Mom?" Audrey asked excitedly. "Natty and Megan said they'd be there."

Kayla Hofstetter smiled at her daughter. "Go on ahead. I want to stop in the office for a moment." She gave Audrey a big hug. "I'll be over there in a little bit."

"Thanks, Mom," Audrey cooed. She turned and scampered down the sidewalk toward the Junior Lifeguard Academy.

Kayla watched her daughter skip away happily, and then, with a contented smile on her face, turned toward the office. Before she could push the button, Anya opened the door for her.

"Grandmother is expecting you," Anya said with a smile. "Come in, please."

It took a moment for Kayla's eyes to adjust to the light, but then she saw the old woman sitting in her 'informal' area. She walked over, and as Grandmother rose, gave her a hug.

"You look happy," Grandmother said.

Kayla's smile broadened. "We had our final Child Services visit yesterday. They okayed everything, so now we can start the paperwork so we can formalize the adoption, and Audrey can change her name legally. We're all looking forward to that."

Grandmother smiled. "You and Mike deserve the happiness that Audrey has brought to your lives."

"And Audrey deserves the happiness you've brought her," Anya added quickly. "You're a wonderful family together."

Kayla's smile waned a bit, and she looked askance at Grandmother. "You didn't have anything to do with this, did you?"

"Who, me?" Grandmother asked, feigning innocence? "What would make you think that I was involved?"

Kayla smiled. "Because there weren't a lot of girls available for adoption," she replied, " And then, suddenly, Audrey was there — like magic."

"It must be a very lucky coincidence," Grandmother answered.

Kayla nodded, not quite believing her. "However it happened," she said, "Mike and I are very glad." She sounded skeptical. "And I know what you did for me, so I couldn’t help but wonder ...."

Grandmother shrugged. "It's just a very happy coincidence," she repeated. In the corner of her eye, she saw Anya trying not to laugh out loud. It was better for Kayla to never know the truth. "You probably should go celebrate with Audrey," she said. She walked to her desk and fumbled through some papers. When she found the paper she wanted, she turned and handed it to Kayla. "Here. Since you're celebrating today, let me treat you two to lunch and ice cream in the Tiki Hut."

Kayla rose, accepting the coupon from Grandmother. "Thanks," she said as she gave the old woman a hug. "And you know we'll be back. This is, after all, my favorite place to bring my daughter."

**********

As Grandmother was going through the daily receipts, she heard the door buzzer sound. She smiled to herself; Mrs. Westman was anxiously waiting at the door. Grandmother pushed the intercom button on her desk. "The door's open. Please come in."

Mrs. Westman walked into the office, letting the door shut behind her, as Grandmother rose and went to greet her. "Good evening," Mrs. Westman said simply.

"How can I help you?" Grandmother asked. "We closed a half hour ago, but I'd be happy to sell you passes for later."

Mrs. Westman bit her lip; she was wondering how to say what was on her mind. "Uh," she said hesitantly, "I'm not here to buy a pass."

"Then what?"

Mrs. Westman paused again. "This may sound crazy," she began, "but I've heard rumors that ... special things ... happen in your park. Boys turning into girls, and such."

"Where-ever did you hear such wild, fantastic stories?" Grandmother exclaimed, doing a good job acting surprised and shocked.

"Gossip gets around. And I noticed that you didn't deny what I'd said," she added quickly.

Grandmother shrugged. "I'm not in the habit of denying impossible stories," she replied.

"Too bad," Mrs. Westman answered. "I couldn't help but wonder, after the Jacobs case, if there weren't something strange going on. Girls like Audrey usually get adopted before they're five or six. Having a girl almost ten — that's unheard of. When I heard the rumors, it made me think that there _was_ something magic about this place, and that it _does_ turn boys into girls. After all, Audrey _did_ have a pass to visit the park."

"Are you a detective, now, too?" Grandmother asked cautiously.

Mrs. Westman laughed. "When you work with orphans and foster families and adoptions, you learn to ferret out the truth." She took a deep breath. "I wanted to know if you could help our orphans. You see, no-one really wants to adopt the older boys. Once they're past five, ...." She shook her head. "But if they could be changed into girls, we could place _all_ of them in happy, forever homes. It would be better if you could also make the older ones into toddlers, too."

Grandmother's frown deepened. "If, and I emphasize the word _if_, I used magic, and could turn boys into girls, doing what you're suggesting — against the will of the boys — would be ... evil. It would be so wrong that I wouldn't be able to do it."

"But ...."

Grandmother shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I have to work on my daily paperwork. Good day, Mrs. Westman." Her voice was extremely firm, and her dismissal of the social worker left no doubt that she wished Mrs. Westman to leave.

Mrs. Westman sighed, and then turned to the door. At the threshold, she paused. "It would be better for the orphans," she commented.

"I said, 'good day'," Grandmother repeated. As soon as the door closed, Grandmother sat back down in her chair. As she contemplated what Mrs. Westman had said, she found her hands shaking.

A few minutes later, the other door, the one facing the inside of the park, opened, and Jenny strolled in. "We're ahead of schedule ...." She stopped when she saw Grandmother's expression. "What's bothering you?" she asked.

Grandmother shook her head. "Audrey's social worker came by," she began, "and suggested that I could use the park to make her orphan boys into little girls so they could be adopted."

Jenny was stunned. "Wow!" was all she could say. No wonder Grandmother was so upset.

"She'd heard rumors about the park," Grandmother continued. She shook her head. "I've never been so insulted in my life," she said. "Suggesting that I would do such a thing — against the will of the boys. Inconceivable!"

"You could offer it to them," Jenny softly suggested.

Grandmother shook her head. "And at what point does the offer become pressure to change? What happens when, suddenly, our area has a huge surplus of orphaned girls for adoption? Don't you think that little statistical anomaly would go unnoticed?"

Jenny sighed. She saw the anguish on Grandmother's face. The suggestion by the social worker had shaken her, reminding her of events of the past. "You know, Boss," she said softly, "in the past you _have_ changed a few people against their will. Some permanently, too."

Grandmother flinched visibly at the reminder. "I know. But now ...."

Jenny nodded. "Now, I know you've got too good a heart to do something like the social worker suggested." She rose, and smiled. "Come on. I'll buy you an ice cream."

Grandmother started, and then she smiled. "That would be nice."

FIN

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great story

"FIRST"

Great story. Like the ending. But methinks someones been watching to much TV LAND. Hofstetters? HMMM... Hogans Hero's perhaps?

Wow...

This story just... wow O_O Grandmother has come a long way, I'm oh so glad she didn't accept that wicked woman's proposal. Anything like that should be a choice not forced onto the children. I'm so glad she didn't give into the darkness it seems Grandmother is learning, and growing. And so is Anya... just wow this story was pretty powerful I cant imagine how much mental turmoil that child would have gone through. Still I hope she made the right choice and is happy in the end. After all, the happiness of the children is what counts most, for the tears of children are the silent death of innocence and that is not something we want.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

The question Grandmother ...

... should have asked earlier was the one she asked near the end. "And at what point does the offer become pressure to change?"

There wasn't really a choice, if you think about it. The deck was obviously stacked. Seriously, would any ten-year-old boy looking ahead at nearly a year of a loveless empty existence full of unhappiness, despair and endless work NOT jump at the chance to trade his boyhood for a happy home full of love and fun and friends? Especially when Grandmother's magic makes being female easier, and Elrod's magic (as a writer) makes being female fun?

Austin was under tremendous pressure to change precisely because of the situation he was in. He didn't freely choose to become a girl. He was pushed into it by circumstances. He made the choice for the same reason any of the other boys Mrs. Westman asked about would have become a girl if given the option.

Because for Austin, at that time and place, being female meant happiness, a family, and freedom from suffering NOW. Being male ... didn't.

Good story, Elrod. *smile*

Randalynn

The Lowe's attitude and

The Lowe's attitude and treatment of Austin is abusive. His choice has made Audrey the Hofstetters very happy, but what about the Fischers? Will they find a child to adopt? what about the Lowes? Will Mrs. Westman continue in her quest?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Orphan and the Fischers

elrodw's picture

Every time I write a story, another one or two ideas pop up. I have already outlined a story where Melinda's parents adopt a young boy, and Natty takes him to Bikini Beach. Things get interesting from there on.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
A. Einstein

Fantastic. Was not expecting

gpoetx's picture

Fantastic. Was not expecting another story so soon after the last one which was a nice surprise.
I've said this once and I'll say it again. Grandmother needs a love interest, but someone who is not also damaged, like a certain other person she was once close to.

This is a bit awkward on a

This is a bit awkward on a board...

This story reminded me that I was looking to write a story for you as a gift for all your work through the years. My email is [email protected] so let me know if you are interested.

Story is good, very good...

... though Fischers are like unfinished business. It makes an overall happy end a little bitter and me as a reader sorry.