Changing For Gym - The English Student Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Changing For Gym - The English Student Part 5

The Flower of Healing

Andrea completes her transformation and three broken hearts begin to heal.

***

The week flew by in a flurry of lessons, dances and sewing. Andrea still found time to spend with No Hassle Castle and both were looking forward to the coming date on Saturday. Andrea, of course, was occupied with the eternal question… what to wear for the date and how should I style my hair. If there was a cloud on the horizon it was just a zephyr of unease as she thought something was not quite right but each time the thought began to form something else would drive it out, usually in a fit of giggles with Connie and her growing sisterhood of friends. Back in England she dimly remembered always feeling outside the web of friendships and gossip but now she couldn’t think of anything she would change except…

A tear drifted down her cheek…

“Hey cutie, what’s up?” Jack asked concern etched across his face.

“Hmmm? Sorry, something in my eye.” Andrea gave the stock response to unexpected tears. In fact in her heart she knew it was nearly a year since that terrible evening but she resolved to remain strong and comfort her mother.

“Uh… OK hope it isn’t an allergy or something, some students are real martyrs to pollen and stuff and I suppose you haven’t been exposed to the plants and stuff around here.”

“Oh Jack, you make this place sound like a new planet!” Raising the back of her hand to her forehead in a faux-dramatic gesture, “Oh Brave New World and all that.” Giving a grin that lit her face up she playfully punched him on his arm.

“OK, OK I surrender” he laughed, joining in the pleasant feelings that his friend was giving off. That smile lights up the room like the Sun he thought and it’s aimed right at me.

The lesson change bell went off and exchanging a brief hug the pair split and went to their lessons. Jack taking the opportunity to enjoy the view as Andrea made her way along the corridor.

The School watched its latest charge make her way to her lessons. Andrea was continuing to develop and her emotions were beginning to show more clearly. Jack clearly had strong feelings for her and the spark was kindling and developing into a stronger, more nurturing relationship. It was good that she was becoming more attuned to her emotions, soon, it knew, the dam would burst and the healing could begin. It regretted the pain she would feel but it needed release or the damage Andrew had inadvertently done would get worse and past the point of healing.

***

At home Andrea (when did she begin thinking of herself as she?) found herself no longer concealing her clothes from Mom. She smiled to herself as she thought about the lengths she had gone to, to conceal her clothes. Why would she hide them from her mother? They are so lovely but not as lovely as the dress design she was working on would be when she modelled it! She made a moue as she tried to remember what she wore before coming to her new home. Whatever it was I bet it was cute but I am sooo hitting the Mall with Connie and the girls tonight. Her outfits were so cute Dad would have loved them. A solitary tear made its way down her cheek as she thought how proud her father would have been and she missed his hugs. An odd thought wandered across just then, why do I never seem to have a photo of myself? Because you were holding the camera doofus! She remembered now that she always stood behind the camera but that’s going to change too! Especially with that cutie Jack at the movies tomorrow…

“Hi Mom! Good day at work? I’ve made a salad for us tonight, I’ve got to watch my figure you know!” Andrea beamed “And we’re off to the Mall to get some materials for the fashion project and maybe some new rags too?” Andrea looked hopefully at her mother.

“Thanks, you’re a treasure and NO I haven’t forgotten my promise to you dear. Were you thinking about getting your ears pierced too? I seem to recall something about Claire’s…” her mother looked quizzically at her daughter. She’s growing up so fast now, Michael would have been so proud and probably practicing his DAD look on Jack. Such a sweet young man and I can see Andrea is smitten with him too. Ah young love…

“Well I did promise you some funds for new clothes didn’t I? And I’m so happy to see the end of that tomboy phase, did you say you were going got a new hairdo as well?” Funny, she thought, when she thought about their old lives in Britain but she could never quite see her daughter’s face except as the blossoming beauty her beloved daughter had become. “Now, don’t go mad on this card, I’ve put $200 on for clothes only, as though you’d waste money, you’ve always been careful with your cash.” Leaning across, she and Andrea exchanged deep hugs as the doorbell went. “Remember hun, just the one set in your lobes, or I’ll ground you for a month!” She teased, knowing her daughter had already had that conversation but, well Moms were Moms after all.

“That’s Connie, catch you later Mom!” With a smile, a wave and a happy bounce, Andrea slid to the door to greet her friends.

***

The short drive to the Mall was punctuated by giggling, laughing girls as they planned their shopping expedition with the precision of a military operation. Andrea thought D-Day didn’t get this level of planning, she joined in the giggles as she imagined “General Connie” resplendent in her uniform barking orders to her troops.

“Remember Andy, Claire’s first girl!” Connie issued the first order of the oncoming campaign.

“Yes Ma’am” Andrea snapped off a salute to a chorus of giggles and more salutes from the girls.

Before coming to Hill Street High, Claire’s was a place that Andrew would have had to be dragged into. Now she was part of a gaggle of teenage girls on a mission… Connie and Tina found the cutest set of bracelets but Andrea’s eyes were drawn to a pair of earrings with an emerald coloured pendant that she knew would look awesome and match her eyes as well as match the dress she was working on. She held them to her ear and looked at her face in the small mirror. Funny though, she would have sworn her eyes were brown like her late Dad’s… whatever, she knew she would look awesome with these eyes and Jack would not be able to resist tomorrow!

“Awesome choice Andy, now you’ve so got to get pierced” Connie giggled with glee.

“I don’t know, doesn’t it hurt?” Andrea asked pensively.

“No, just a noise and then it’s done, I got mine done last year when they had an offer on.”

“What “Ears pierced while you wait?” sort of thing?”

“No doofus, spend $30 and they throw in the piercing. Look the offer is still on so let’s grab a few more accessories. A girl simply cannot have too much jewellery. Look I’ll hold your hand if you’re nervous but really, there is nothing to worry about. Sure they’ll feel a bit delicate for a while and there’s a certain amount of aftercare but I can see you’ve been brushing regularly just from the sine in your hair so let’s get you inducted into the “Sisterhood”!”

“So ready to get your first pair?” a young fair haired woman took her place at the seat. “Nothing to worry about, I’ll just mark your lobes and then we can look at your choices for studs. I suggest those because they will be easier to deal with while you heal. We provide a care solution to help you heal faster. Did you have a pair in mind for your first pair?”

Andrea showed her selections, quietly admitting that she would love to wear the pendants but knew she needed to get used to the new look first. She selected a pair of jade green studs in a simple jewelled setting.

“Good choice for a first pair, bet you can’t wait to wear those pendants.” There was a hiss of air and a thud as the piercing gun did its work.

“I barely noticed a thing! Thanks”

“Well the trick is to keep your mind on something else and look away”, another brief noise and Andrea showed her new studs to her clapping friends.

“Now the first order of business is covered, our quest continues. The Mall awaits!” Connie commanded.

Thanking the assistant and paying the bill, Andrea joined her friends on their journey into the complex world of fashion.

“Remember that I still need some things to finish my dress off. I’ve pretty much finished the design but still want to find simply the right material to make it work. Can we stop off there first?”

“Of course your ladyship”, Connie giggled, “let’s get business sorted and then…”

“Pleasure!” they all chorused.

***

The blizzard of activity as the girls circled their prey began to subside as hushed comments about how a swatch of fabric looked, felt, was raised to their skin and either consigned to the growing reject pile or placed to one side for consideration began to abate. Andrea gave a happy shriek as she noticed an offcut of taffeta a deep red, almost a black.

“That’s perfect, just the thing to accessorise my design and there’s just enough too.” Giving a happy smile, she gathered up the cloth, taking care to make sure that it didn’t get dirty.

“Andrea, “ Connie looked pensive, “You know that it’s a lovely design but, well don’t you think its in danger of showing a bit too much?”

“No, I’ve made sure that it covers all eventualities so to speak.” She smiled back.

“No doofus, I meant you need something extra to show yourself off you know. You’ve got a great figure and it's time to move a little upmarket. Jack won’t know what hit him tomorrow!” Connie giggled as Andrea’s face fell when she realised Connie was looking very meaningfully at the entrance to Victoria's Secret…

“I can’t go in there! I’m…I’m… I’m a” Andrea stuttered…

“A very beautiful young lady who needs the right underthings to help her new design get showed off the way she deserves” Connie calmed the blushing Andrea. “You’ve got…. Well boobies dear, we girls are allowed to admit the fact after all. Now I bet they’ve got some great outfits for us. Come on girls!” Imperiously Connie gave a wave and a broad smile and holding Andreas hands they made their way into a wonderland of satins and lace…

An assistant saw the group of girls entering the store, one of the girls was a little androgynous in appearance but very feminine in her mannerisms. Her accent was a little difficult to place until she remembered watching TV and listening to the English in costume dramas, was she really English? Connie took charge and they shared a cubicle to get Andrea fitted for her first really adult lingerie. A few “accidental” brushes to the new girl and she was convinced that she was just a late bloomer but her beauty was going to stop traffic. The slightly reticent girl was persuaded to try a number of bras and lingerie sets, occasionally s tremble as if she were unsure then she would stiffen and a new resolve would pass as the girls selected a number of outfits.

Well, she thought to herself, something to tell Big Sis when I get home…

Andrea found herself leaving the store with a selection of outfits, stockings and other delicates. The bags leaving nothing to chance that a casual observer may know what feminine delights were in the bags. Thinking she was safe for a while, she did not resist as Connie and her friends led her past the Food Court and into a shoe store…

“I’ve got a few pairs already, do I really need more?” She pleaded as the pack of shopping frenzied girls led her into the waiting maw of another store. Shelves packed high with shoes of all shapes, sizes and colours.

“Andrea, no girl has just a few pairs you have no idea of how many different types you need to be introduced to. Did you really have just a few pairs? We thought you English had style!”

“Well we do, I’m still getting retail therapy for my extended tomboy phase. I know I need to get used to more fashionable shoes but there’s something to be said for a good pair of Jeans and Trainers.” Andrea looked at her feet.

“Well we’ve got time to give you a good old fashioned makeover before you meet Jack tomorrow. Peter will be picking us up so we can all go together. Now let’s take a look at your new shoes girl!”

To Andrea’s surprise, Connie reappeared with what to her eyes seemed the thinnest and tallest heels she had ever seen. Andrea had expected a slight heel not the 3”+ jade green pair that Connie waved smilingly at her.

“Don’t worry, you’ll soon get used to a pair like this, just don’t make a habit of it or you’ll store up trouble for the future. Mom’s a chiropodist and gets really antsy about heels. They help your legs look great but a girl pays a price for beauty.”

“What, you mean they’ll cripple me, probably break my ankle when I fall off them”

“No girl, just get used to the feel, I’m not too sure of the colour for you and your outfit and you’ll feel the burn in your legs later. Just take smaller steps and you’ll slay Jack when he sees you, Pete had best keep his attention on me too.” She grinned back. “Besides, I only want them to have eyes for me!” Connie’s eyes twinkled with gentle amusement and Andrea knew she was teasing her.

Pulling her into a hug, Andrea breathed in her ear, “Thanks for being here for me Connie, it means so much to have friends I can trust.”

“Awww you’re just saying that but it must be so difficult coming to a new place for you.”

“It’s not just that, it’s well…” Andrea fell silent and gave a happy grin, “You’re all so awesome, thanks.” Silently concealing the foreboding that the coming anniversary was filling her with.

A happy period of shoe trying, Andrea tottering a little in unfamiliar high heels and finding herself laden with a few more boxes…

“I wish Jack were here now rather than at practice.”

“Why? You’ll see him tomorrow you know, girl you’ve got it bad!” Connie giggled.

“No, we need a nice guyslave or two to carry our baggage silly!”

“Oh well, we’ll just have to make our way back slowly. Ready to refuel at the Food Hall?”

The gaggle of girls made their way back to the Food Hall, Andrea found herself reacting to the occasional stares and glances from some of the other boys around the Mall. Occasionally she adjusted her outfit but in the main Jack was on her mind far more. Thoughts about the coming date and watching the match but definitely her attention would be on Jack…

***

“MOM!” Andrea almost shouted when her mother asked about her purchases.

“Now dear, I know you might feel a little embarrassed about mother looking at your new clothes but you are still learning and the loveliest of clothes can look terrible if you are wearing unsuitable lingerie. Now be a dear and let me look at your new lingerie. It isn’t as though I’ve never seen you deshabille is it?” Andrea felt suddenly uncomfortable but the logic of her mother was inescapable. Opening the bags and boxes she proceeded to hold up the assorted items. “Really Andrea, you of all people should know you need to wear this lovely lingerie so I can see how well it fits. I’m sure the fitter at Victoria’s did a good job but mother knows best you know.”

“But nobody else will see them mom.” Andrea almost whined.

“Really?” her mother asked with a raised eyebrow and a very knowing expression on her face. “Not even Jack?”

Andrea felt the blush rise from her very toes at the thought, but why would I not let Jack see or feel this lovely lingerie? The thought of Jack’s hands drifting up her legs to feel her stockingtops gave her the most wonderful feeling but she valiantly tried to hide that from her mother.

Realising that she was about to receive both the “Mother Stare” and the “Mom Voice” Andrea surrendered to the request with just that little piece of teenage rebellion that says “I am grown up, sort of…” She opened the bags and laid them across her bed for inspection. There was no way she could hide the femininity of many of the garments but they made her feel soo very good.

“Andrea, I think you need to actually wear some of these so I can get a good idea of how they fit. I know you want the floor to open under you but really, you are a young lady beginning to enter the bloom of womanhood. You know there is a conversation we will have to have in the near future dear. For now, let’s get these tags off and you can show me how you look. Did you get those bras fitted properly?”

Andrea remembered the young lady with the tape measure and nodded.

“Good, it is very important to have properly fitted underthings, you will understand when you get a little older. Now why did you choose a suspender set as well as hose, thinking about Jack were we?” Her mother gave a knowing smile, “Nothing to worry or be embarrassed about, both options have their merits and there’s no law against feeling good is there? Oh and that’s the material for your dress design! It looks simply darling, you’ll knock them dead hun! Just remember, be a Lady and let the boys down gently. Somehow I don’t think you will ever have that problem with Jack, he is such a gentleman and the way he treats you reminds me of your father when we met.” A slightly sad look ghosted across her mother’s face, it was almost a year since that day…

***

The following day, Connie and Peter picked up Andrea and Jack and went to the game. Andrea still did not really understand much of what was going on but resolved to learn at least enough to follow the game. Afterwards, she and Jack had a light meal, Jack gallantly holding the chair as she sat. Andrea thought afterwards that she really couldn’t remember what she ate as she spent most of the time watching Jack, looking into his eyes and realising he was doing the same…

The movie could have been anything, neither of them had eyes for anything but each other. Jack escorted Andrea home and the mutual kiss on her doorstep was one in which time stood still for both of them. Andrea even raised one slender leg in that classic “Stork” pose lovers sometimes use.

***

School on Monday was almost an anti-climax. There was one thing that ate at Andrea’s heart as she entered the changing room giving a shy wave to Jack as she did so. Jack’s heart was in his mouth and worry ate at him, something was wrong but the date and afterwards had been wonderful, he knew he had behaved correctly, what was it? He made his way to his locker, brow furrowed with concern. Andrea sat on the bench in front of her locker, it wasn’t about Jack, he was so sweet and gentle. He couldn’t know that one year ago was the terrible day her beloved father was taken by a drunken driver. She remembered the Policeman and woman who brought the news that her father, so careful in his driving would never be coming home. The emptiness in her soul had scarred her emotions, driving them deep inside while she remained strong for her mother.

“Hi Andrea, good weekend?” Patty and Tere McMahon entered the room. Suddenly, they noticed the emotions warring for control, the tremble of Andrea’s lips and eyes. “What happened? Did something go wrong between you and Jack?” Patty knelt next to Andrea, concern etched across her face.

A tear began to form at the edge of her eye as Andrea looked at Patty, “No, it’s not that, it’s….it’s…” she paused, collecting her thoughts and struggling to bring her emotions under control, so much for a stiff upper lip she thought. “This time last year, my father died. There was a drunk driver and they say daddy could never have known much about it but… but… I’ve been strong for Mom but I just can’t…” Tears began to flow down her cheeks as the emotions pent up for so very long finally broke through the wall she had built to stay strong for her mother.

Patty and Tere were there in an instant, embracing Andrea in a group hug as the emotions each of them had held back finally broke through. Tears streaming down cheeks as they began the process of grieving for their loss and above all to heal the wounds of love. Each loved their father even when there had been the occasional difference of opinion as there always will be between parents and their children.

The School felt their pain, it had to send help, students were hurting even though this was the pain of the healing process beginning…

Principal Harris and Counsellor Werner were at that time walking to another meeting when they heard a sound that was very rarely heard at Hill Street High. Ms Werner placed a gentle hand on Mr Harris’ arm as he turned toward the changing room door and raised a finger to her lips.

“Wait, if this is what I think it is we must wait. Andrea, Patty and Tere all have a loss in common and they’ve bottled it up for a long time. Not all tears are wrong and these tears are healing, letting emotions suppressed finally out. I’m going to clear my diary for the day, I think I will have some work to do.”

Principal Harris considered the advice, his instinct was to help but Ms Werner was probably right. Walking slowly and silently into the room he placed a number of slips of paper by the girls who were all but oblivious to his presence. Three Hall Passes with instructions to report to Ms Werner before going back to lessons.

The tears lessened but the girls were still locked in a group hug passing strength, understanding and emotion between them. Tere noticed the passes first but said nothing, pausing to wipe her reddened eyes she looked at her sister and Andrea. She loved her sister and Andrea was a really nice person, a little withdrawn when she came and was that really her hair colour? Something about the past drifted across her mind but like morning mist was gone before she could really think about it. It wasn’t important, the world was the way it should be and she could feel the pain of losing her father lessen a little. She knew it would never truly go away but now they could heal and move on.

The School observed its most recent changees, Andrew would not have survived his emotional turmoil. He had become an emotional cripple, unable to deal with his loss and isolated from everybody about him. Andrea was learning to get in touch with her emotions and the growing love between her and Jack promised great things in the future for both of them. It would take time and all three would have a number of sessions with Ms Werner but they would all return to school happy again.

“Hey girls, Principal Harris left us passes to see Ms Werner. We’d best repair the damage before we get seen on the corridors” Tere advised the others.

“OMG I look awful!” Andrea sniffled, looking at the dark trails her mascara had left on her cheeks. But within she felt, better… freer than before as though a great weight had been lifted from her spirit.

“Not to worry, I’ll get Patty fixed up then we can get you looking lovely again.” Tere smiled. She realised that they had a common bond in their loss but a stronger one in their caring for each other.

Almost half an hour later the three young ladies with faces and hair repaired made their way to Ms Werner’s office. Initially they all sat together while Ms Werner explained the counselling process they would be going through. It was a good thing, she told them, to let the bottled up grief out and begin the process of coming to terms with their loss. She arranged for each to have two short sessions twice a week for the next month and had already discussed this with both their mothers. She did remind them that it is OK to cry and that this is a natural part of the healing process.

Jack was waiting in the corridor outside Andrea’s changing room, concern and worry etched across his face. Wanting to take her into his arms and hold her, protect her from whatever was hurting the woman he realised he loved deeply. There, he admitted to himself, I love her, I want to stay with her for the rest of my life if she will have me.

Andrea appeared, walking along the corridor from her meeting with Ms Werner, tears still welling in her eyes but feeling much better. Jack made to move toward her but hesitated not wanting to be the cause of her tears.

“Jack!” she called, breaking into a run and holding her arms wide.

Released from his hesitation, Jack took Andrea into his arms, hugging her close as Andrea’s tears dried on his shirt.

“Is everything OK Andrea?” He looked down, concern etched upon his face.

“It is now Jack, Ms Werner explained that not all tears are wrong. It’s just that my father was killed exactly a year ago and I’m only really starting to come to terms with that. Oh no! Did you think it was something from our second date?”

“Well yes I did. Hey you said second date? Does that mean there will be more?” he gave a hopeful look.

“Of course…. There is something I need to tell you though…”

The School looked at Andrea and Jack in their loving embrace, Teresa and Patty McMahon along with Andrea had started the road to healing. Andrea was blossoming into the beautiful, caring lady she was meant to be. Andrew, the emotionally crippled boy could never have come to terms with the loss and had secretly thought about ending his life. Across the School, students and staff felt a wonderful, warm glow wash over them. Something wonderful had happened…

Looking deeply into Jack’s eyes, Andrea whispered…

“I love you.”

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Best ending I could think of!

Sorry for the delay in getting this, probably final, chapter written. A friend "crossing the bar" and a lot of work have slowed down my writing. This was the best ending I could think of, of course it can also be a beginning for another story...

Thanks for the kind comments.

Hill Street High continues

to learn as it tends to the students and their needs. I wonder if it will ever expand its power into the community or perhaps even contact other such magical places?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well yes....

It is a happy ending. Schools in general manipulate the lives of those within them, students and faculty a like. But this School being a living, thinking entity manipulating the genders of it inhabitants as well as minds is a bit scary, even if well intended. It is an interesting and different plot concept and well, has a happy ending so..... Nicely done Sunwolf! Big Hugs, Taarpa

So bittersweet...

Daphne Xu's picture

So bittersweet...

-- Daphne Xu