Bikini Beach: The Runaway, Part 3/3

Printer-friendly version

Bikini Beach: The Runaway Part 3/3
Ib12us

A young boy has run away from home. Breaking into Bikini Beach in search of food, he is caught trespassing in the morning and given a week's worth of community service. Why did he run away in the first place? Something has prevented Grandmother and Anya from seeing his past. Maybe a detective who is the great grandson of someone from Grandmothers past can help unravel the mystery.

The author is grateful for the help, ideas and editing done by ElrodW. Without his help and support, this story may not have been possible.

******************************************************************************


Bikini Beach: The Runaway

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

~o~O~o~

******Thursday Morning*******

While Brad ate breakfast in the kitchen, David slipped into his brother's room, and using his laundry chore as an excuse if caught, he began to search for the other half of the pendant once more. He knew he had a little time while he waited for Officer Jozef to take him to the park.

Clothes and sports gear were scattered around the room, and the bed wasn't made. He began picking up his brother's dirty clothes, placing them in a pile, disgusted that his brother would leave his room in such disarray. Even if it didn't matter in Melody’s reality, David thought, Brad could have at least picked up after himself, instead of waiting for either him or his mother to do it for him.

David searched his brother's pigsty of a room for where his brother had discarded his dirty clothes the night before. David knew that Brad couldn't have made several of the tackles he watched during the game and practices without some help. He picked up Brad's uniform and tossed it into the dirty pile before he picked up his brother's socks from inside Brad's cleats. David refused to touch the sweaty, smelly jock-strap which was draped over his brother’s shoes.

Disgusted, David pulled out the dirty socks from inside the shoes, and as he did so, he heard something drop to the ground. "Eww gross! You've got to be kidding me!" David exclaimed as he picked up the object off the floor. "That is totally disgusting."

"What's disgusting, Sis?" Brad asked as he entered his room. He shoved a piece of toast in his mouth as soon as he finished the question.

David picked up the dirty pile of clothes and, with a disdained look, asked, "Don't you ever pickup after yourself?"

"Why, Sis?" Brad said half-jokingly as he chewed a mouthful of toast. "That's why I have you - to do my dirty laundry."

"Well, if you want your stuff cleaned, _you_ can put your own jock strap and dirty socks in the laundry room," David said before leaving, "I'm not touching them."

Brad chuckled as he went to pick up the offending items. Before his sister was out of earshot Brad wondered aloud, "But you picked up my shorts. What's the difference?"

David had dumped a load of clothes in the washer, and was scooping laundry detergent, when his brother came to him. "Sis, have you seen my pendant? I can't find it."

"Nope, I haven't seen it," David lied as he set the controls on the washer.

Brad physically turned his sister to face him, and asked directly. "Have you seen my pendant?"

David didn’t think his brother would notice the pendant missing so soon. From the urgency and desperation in Brad’s voice, David was sure Brad was quite desperate to find it.

"Maybe you _LOST_ it Brad," David replied forcefully. "Possibly at football practice. I gotta get ready to go to work."

"I hope not," Brad answered, sounding and looking worried. "Dad gave me that half."

*************

David dialed the number from memory. “Mom? No, nothing’s wrong. I just left my purse at home, and it has my money and phone in it.” David paused for a second, “I know mom,” he apologized, “I didn’t mean to. Lunch time would be great. Around eleven thirty at the entrance? He saw Vicky nod. "Thanks Mom. Love you.”

David handed the cell phone back to Vicky. “Thank-you, Miss Vicky. I’m still not used to keeping a purse with me.”

“No problem, Mel. Belinda’s working the ticket booth; she’ll let you know when your mom arrives.”

David surveyed the park one last time from his perch on the diving platform. From this high, he could see almost all of the rides and features in the park. He heard the sound of girls giggling and yelling as they raced one another towards the climbing wall, hoping to grab one of the rings at the top that they could exchange for a free ice cream. The activity reminded him how hard it would be to leave the water park Grandmother had created. Even he had to admit that the place was fun when he wasn't working. Still, today was the day he'd been waiting for, when he'd be free from his commitment. With one last look around him, he blocked the world away, ready to take one last dive before it was time to leave, his community service finally over.

His face displayed a devilish grin when he leaped forward, pulled his arms around his legs, and curled into a tight ball, trying to create as big a splash as he possibly could when he hit the water.

When he pulled himself to the surface, David could see the disapproving looks on both Lisa's and Liz's face as they wiped futilely at the water he had splashed on them. Before he even pulled himself out of the water, David knew they had something to tell him.

"You little scamp," Liz admonished the girl halfheartedly. "How many times have we told you no cannonballs off the platforms?"

"A lot," David responded before he hugged her, dripping wet from being in the pool. He gave Lisa a hug in turn. "I have to go. Miss Anya's waiting for me."

Both women looked perplexed at that revelation. "How do you know?" an astonished Liz asked, since the two of them had just been informed themselves.

David dried himself off with the towel Lisa handed him. "It's my last day. My punishment's over, and," he shrugged, not caring to explain further. "I just know."

Lisa pulled David close to her, embracing him tightly. "Maybe we'll see you around? Maybe you can help us with the girls later on?" she asked hopefully.

David didn't know what to say as he returned the hug. "I ... I don't think so Miss Lisa, but thanks for letting me help. I'll miss both of you." He gave one final hug to Liz before he left both of them standing there, their expressions sad. He didn't want to keep Anya or Grandmother waiting. "Thanks for letting me dive too. It helped me a lot this past week," he called over his shoulder, he gave them a final wave as he hurried toward the lockers. He didn't want them to know how hard it was for him to say goodbye.

As David rolled up his wet swimsuit in his towel, he wondered, for just a moment, why he was even bothering. Then he closed his locker for the last time and put the key back in the lock. He was dressed in jeans and a light green blouse, and he slipped into his sneakers, before he checked his purse to make sure he had everything. When he looked up, he saw Holly and Vicky standing by the doorway, waiting for him. David felt a lump in his throat; it was getting harder and harder to say good-bye. But he knew that he had to do so.

"Were you planning on leaving us without saying good-bye?" Vicky asked with a sad smile on her face.

"Uh-uh," David replied, with a wry grin to ease the hurt that he knew they felt. "I figured Miss Anya or Grandmother would send you." As he turned to the exit, the girls fell in beside him, one on each side.

"We understand you're not coming back. Don't you like the place, or us?" Holly asked, her eyes misting. Though parting was difficult, she needed to know.

"I like the place," David answered, "and I like both of you. I just don't like being a girl."

Vicky and Holly silently nodded their understanding as they walked by his side. "You wouldn't understand since you're both girls, and I'm not," he added.

Their laughter caught David by surprise. They were acting as though he'd told a joke. "You'd be surprised," Holly said for the both of them.

As they walked, David spoke, mostly to himself, softly enough that they barely heard him, "I kept my word, Dad, like you'd want me to. I didn't like it at times, but I did it."

They stopped at the office door, and David turned to the girls. "I really don't like my other life, Miss Holly, Miss Vicky, but I don't like this one either. If it wasn't for the two of you, and Miss Lisa and Miss Liz, I don't think I would have stayed, and I think that would have been a bad thing for me."

"Mel, you worked hard for us. I'm sure your dad would be proud of you," Holly said as she hugged him. "Maybe you'll change your mind and visit us. It doesn't have to be at the park."

"I really wish I could, Miss Holly, but there's something I have to do. There's another promise I need to keep."

"Maybe after you're done ...," Vicky suggested hopefully.

David shrugged his shoulders. "I don't think so," he said with a sad smile. "Can you do me a favor? Could you tell Miss Jenny and Natty good-bye for me, please?"

David heard the lock click open and he pulled opened the door. He waited a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the office interior. He noticed the only one inside was Anya, who was seated behind her desk.

Anya gave David one of her warm smiles while he waited, yet her voice sounded sad. "It'll be a few minutes, Mel. Would you like a drink? A cherry coke perhaps?"

David opened his purse and took out the pendant he had retrieved earlier from Brad's room before answering. "No thank-you, Miss Anya, and it’s David.”

*************

Jozef tried once more to convince Grandmother to make David stay to no effect. “Jozef, I know it would be better for everyone, but I _can’t_ force a change on David."

"But ... he'll probably die, even if it's his own choice. You know how frail and close to death he is."

"I know. And I really, really want to help him. But it has to be his choice."

"Even if Elaine’s and Brad's lives are ruined?"

"Even if," Grandmother admitted, her voice sounding weary. "I _can't_ force him to decide."

"Let me talk to him again. I’m sure I can persuade him."

"We've both tried, Jozef," Grandmother said sadly. "He knows what will happen. He's made up his mind, and we have to respect his choice."

Jozef nodded sadly, still he refused to accept her answer. In the past week, he'd come to really like David / Mel. "I know. But I want to try one more time."

"So do I. But Melody had her own demons she ran away from, with tragic consequences." She shook her head sadly. "As long as he remembers, he doesn't have a way out. There's no 'fairy tale ending' for him."

"Grandmother" Anya said, her eyes wide with wonder as she spoke. "David's here to see you." The words were forced, as if she was struggling against some unseen force.

"Anya, I thought I told you to have her wait until after I was finished with Mr. Donovan." Grandmother and Jozef were both surprised at the interruption.

"Don't blame her, Grandmother." David said as he entered the room. "I asked her to let me in."

Grandmother was nearly speechless when she said, "Asked?" Her eyes narrowed as she felt something — magical — around the boy, something unseen but powerful.

Jozef, noticed a difference in David almost immediately, a different type of magic. With the one pendant and the transformation spell, there should have been only two types of magic about David, but there were three types.

"_Sit_ down_, Officer Jozef. Miss Anya, _you_ too, please," David requested. Neither could stop themselves as they both complied.

David saw Grandmother muttering something, and his eyes narrowed. "Stop _it_, Grandmother!" David ordered before Grandmother could finish her incantation.

Just like Anya, Grandmother found she was unable to resist, compelled to stop the unfinished spell.

"You wanted to know about my pendant? This is the other half.” David showed it to them. “Dad had given one half to Melody and the other to Brad. You asked me to be truthful, to trust you. It’s not easy… for me … to trust anyone anymore. Not after what Nathan did." David saw their questioning looks. "It lets me make people do what I want," he said with a guilty look, ashamed even. "I'm sorry, Miss Anya, Officer Jozef, for doing that. I was just showing you what it could do.”

"What are you planning on doing, David?” Grandmother asked.

"You’ve all been so good to me. Helping me. I ... I wanted you to know, I guess, before I leave.” David clutched the pendant tightly, not wanting to let go, determined in what he needed to do. “But, I’m going to leave, go back. To find Nathan and make him pay for what he's done."

Surprised, Jozef said, “This is a police matter, David. Stay here as Melody, you’ll be safer here. Let me and Jana find Nathan and bring him to justice."

“How long would it be before you find him? A day, a week, or even longer? I don’t want to be a girl! I’m a boy!” David spat. “I stayed because I promised Grandmother that I’d do my punishment, and nothing more. Did you like being a woman? Would you stay one?”

“I can’t say I would, David. As interesting as it was, I wouldn’t want to stay that way.” Jozef admitted.

“So why should I?” David’s face showed the anguish of what happened to his family. “What if he hurts Melody’s family while you look for him? I’m not going to go through that again. Not ever again.”

"And when you do find him David, what are you going to do?" Grandmother asked, concerned how he was behaving.

“Dad said you should pay people back the way they treat you. I’ll do to him what he did to my brother,” he said, his eyes misting.

"What did he do, David? What happened to you and your family?” Anya said, coaxing out what they all feared.

“What do you think? He raped me in this life, Melody killed herself!" he practically screamed. "In my other life, he crippled me as a boy and turned my mother against me. He turned her into a whore! He _killed_ my brother. He’s always hurting me! I’ve _had_ it! I’m going to go back, go back with Brad’s pendant, find him, and I’m going to KILL HIM.”

"You can’t be serious, David!" Jozef exclaimed.

“David, listen to me,” Grandmother said, her voice shaken when she remembered another time when anger and hatred controlled her. “You don’t want to do this, child. If you go through with this, David, a darkness would consume you, control and destroy you. You could become as evil as he is. I don’t want that to happen to you.”

“Nathan’s evil, Grandmother. He's cruel in what he does. He needs to pay!” David hissed through clenched teeth.

“Yes, child, he does, but not that way. Listen to me. Please try to understand what I’m trying to tell you.” She motioned for David to take a seat as Grandmother nerved herself to tell David. “Years ago, when I was younger - a little older than you, in fact - I let my anger consume me. I… I used my magic on some men for what they did to me. The darkness nearly consumed me, because I let hatred rule my heart that day. Later, I learned I was wrong. It cost me dearly, David. I lost my family and my friends, and my life was forever changed because of that one mistake. Don’t let that happen to you. Let us help you.”

“David, why didn’t you go to the police?” Jozef questioned.

“Don’t you think I didn’t try?” still angry and upset. “It’s what my Dad would have wanted. I escaped twice before. Once with Brad and then after he changed my mother. The second time I found an officer and told him what Nathan did to me. He saw how I looked, and took me with him, when he went to investigate my story. I spent two weeks in a cramped room living off of whatever scraps Nathan decided to give me. He didn’t even let me out to use the bathroom.”

“And the officer, David, what happened to the officer?”

“Nathan used the pendant on him, making him believe I was crazy, and a liar.”

“So if you know where he is; tell us,” Jozef urged.

"I _don’t_ know where he is here! When I finally escaped … again ... it was dark outside. He had me locked up, forced me to stay inside. We had moved again after my last escape. He blindfolded me, and put me in the trunk of a car until we arrived at someplace new."

“If he has the pendant, how did you get away?”

“He got careless and made a mistake. He commanded me to stay in my room as always, but he forgot to lock the door. I waited until he went to bed, and in the middle of the night, I left.”

“Let me see it, David,” Jozef asked. Jozef notice how the pendant’s magic was nearly identical to the one on David’s pendant.

David hesitated before he handed the pendant over, “Don’t think to try it on me. I can resist. Brad used it on me, and I felt its power, so I left the room. I was really mad at him because of what he did.”

"David, your plan won’t work," Grandmother informed him. “When you go back everything will return to the way it was.”

“So I go back to running away."

"And being crippled, and nearly dead," Grandmother added solemnly.

“Grandmothers right, David. You won’t survive much longer on the streets. You’re not that type of person,” Anya said.

“You can’t stop him,” David warned, “he’s getting stronger. It’s taking him less time now to make people do what he wants.”

“David, he’s not as powerful as I am,” Anya said confidently. “I was going to look for you also. I wasn’t going to let you live on the streets. Even if it meant putting you in a foster home or the orphanage, I was going to come after you,” Anya said.

“You… would come after me and not make me come back to the water park?” David appeared shocked. “Promise?”

Anya nodded her head. “Grandmother and I know you don’t want to be a girl, David. A foster home would be the best we could do.”

“Magic or no magic, Nathan has to pay for his crimes.” Jozef vowed. “If you can give me any information that would be useful….”

“But he’s dangerous with that pendant,” David reiterated. He could see Jozef wasn’t going to be deterred. “Like I said, it was dark when I left.” David looked to be lost in thought. “There weren’t that many street lights working, and from the ones that were, the homes looked worn or boarded up. There were three blinking towers, in the distance, when I stepped outside of the house. Well I think they were towers, and headed towards them. The first one only blinked red at the top, the middle flashed white, and the third flashed red. I crossed over two sets of train tracks when I got closer to the city.”

Jozef went over to the girl and handed him a card. “David, I can’t make you stay, so I want you to memorize these numbers. Ones my cell phone and the other is Officer Jana’s. I’ll be with Anya and we’ll come after you. We'll take you someplace safe.”

David saw the seriousness in their faces. “I guess this is good-bye then, Grandmother, Miss Anya,” David said, and handed his worker's pass back to the elderly woman. “You have a great park, Grandmother, and I had fun.” David couldn’t help himself when he found himself embracing the elderly woman. “I know everyone wants me to stay, but I can’t. I’d rather be who I am, than who I’m not.”

David went over and hugged Anya. “If it’s okay, I’d like to spend the rest of the day with Melody’s family. They may not be mine, but they're the closest I have to family now.”

*************

Jana waited with Grandmother in the park's office. With the coming of midnight, Grandmother uttered a complicated spell, her fingers moved in an intricate manner as she wove a spell on Jana she hoped to allow her to remember the past week’s events. With her, Jana had pulled all files of Melody, with the idea that when reality changed back, so would the files. Jozef and Anya had copies with them also.

*************

David paced in his room, his window curtains drawn back, as he waited for the change to occur. He looked outside once more to see the police car parked just outside the cul-de-sac, with Anya and Jozef inside.

Jozef felt something as he and Anya watched the house through binoculars. Both focused their attention to the drawn curtains as they waited for the changes to occur.

Without warning grass that had been properly tended rapidly grew in height, and litter appeared on the porch and yard. Inside the home, lights quickly faded away, and the bikes left on the porch faded and disappeared. A 'For Sale' sign shimmered into existence on the front lawn.

David felt his body begin to tingle when his clock radio showed the time of eleven fifty-three. He struggled to stay awake, suddenly afraid of the life he was going back to. With only the glow of his nightlight, David watched his clothes begin to morph and change. Dressed in jeans and a blouse, he sat on his bed waiting for the changes to complete. He watched his shirt change, once more, to the dingy, buttoned shirt. His pants changed into his old worn, tattered jeans. No longer did he feel clean; his skin was filthy from a lack of hygiene. Pulling open the front of his tattered shirt, he watched his breasts slowly recede into his body. Skin and muscles seemed to tighten around his ribs, allowing them to be seen. He could feel the telltale return of his genitals when they pressed against his jeans. His hair shortened slightly in length, and became stringy and unkempt. David’s face no longer held the telltale sign of a pretty girl as cheeks became gaunt, his lips thinner. His overall appearance was of an undernourished boy. David looked out the window, only to watch it fade away, replaced by a metal object.

“Jozef… Jozef are you alright?” Anya asked, visibly shocked at what she saw.

“I watched him change, Anya. I watched a healthy young girl change into… into… ”Jozef said, his anger rising from what he had just witnessed. “When we find that son of a bitch, I swear …." He shook his head. "I’d never have let him change back if I knew… this.”

“We had only an idea, Jozef. We couldn’t really see. How much do you remember?”

“David lived here. He was Melody, and this is where her family lived," he said as he fought to recall the week that David had been a girl.

Jozef pulled up to the home and exited the car with Anya. "His room was right here," Jozef said as he headed over to the window. Looking inside, he saw that the bedroom had been stripped bare of all furniture. Looking through several more windows, the two found that all rooms appeared empty. Not surprisingly, the garage was also vacant.

Around him, David’s surroundings continued to change; walls wavered in shape. Two walls grew in height around him, and lines formed as bricks appeared, with paint peeling in spots. Where the window had once been, the metal wall seemed to rise, with caster wheels underneath. Overhead, the ceiling faded away, to be replaced with an overhead sky. The comforter felt hard underneath him when he huddled down in a corner, and he found that it had been replaced by concrete. His felt sharp hunger pains as his stomach rumble from lack of food.

Exhausted from the transformation, he slowly stood up, confused by his surroundings. He wondered where he was, and as he stood, he realized that his leg was once more a burden to him. David’s thoughts were muddled as the onslaught of aching hunger pushed away his need to contact the police. Survival was his only concern. Moving around to the front, he found the front entrance blocked by a gated fence to keep animals from entering. The smell of food turned his attention to the dumpster, and using what strength he had, David hoisted himself up and over the edge. He didn't care about anything else as he searched through trash bags for scraps of food. Images of having eaten home cooked meals, sleeping in a warm bed, or hugging of someone who cared for him seemed like a distant memory as hunger overtook him. A part of him wondered if he had hallucinated or dreamed the whole past week.

When he found several discarded hamburger patties, cold fries, and fruit cups, David stuffed one burger in his mouth, too hungry to care where it had been. He climbed out and lowered himself to the ground, to hide behind the dumpster once more, glad for what he had found. Despite his hunger, he forced himself to eat slowly so he wouldn't become sick.

*************

The diner was nearly empty in the early morning when Jozef shifted through the pages. He needed to keep himself occupied, impatient for David’s call. “It says here Elaine’s family was reported missing when she failed to show up for work. She and the kids were supposed to spend the week at some resort called Crystal Lakes with a friend, and she told co-workers she would be back the following Monday. When she failed to show up for work, they became worried. The hotel records showed they never went to the resort. That was over seventeen months ago. Bank accounts had been emptied during that week, too.”

“And I bet the friend was Nathan.” Anya said, after getting off her phone. “Jana and Grandmother are going through the files also. She hasn’t received a phone call either.”

“Brad’s remains were found over ten months ago in an abandoned camp lodge.” Jozef said, taking a sip of coffee. “His body was so badly decomposed that it took dental records to identify the remains. The cabin had been abandoned for years, and he wouldn’t have even found if it wasn’t for the fact hikers were seeking shelter. Forensics indicated he died from a blunt blow to the skull, possibly from a wooden object. From the amount of decomposition of the body, he had to have been there for at least one to two months.”

Flipping through several more pages, Jozef continued. “The rest seem to indicate eyewitness reports of spotting a woman fitting the description of Elaine, but they never panned out. There were also several false leads and unverifiable reports of seeing David.”

Anya sensed Jozef’s edginess and worry, placed a hand on his. “He could be disoriented, Jozef, tired and hungry.”

Jozef just nodded and placed a call to headquarters. “Officer Donovan here. Any reports of a lost boy?” He scanned through several more pages while he waited on the dispatcher.

*************

His hunger abated, David shuffled on the sidewalk, his mind cleared as he recalled his promise to Jozef and Anya. Skittish about making contact with other people, David walked the streets in search of a working payphone. He had passed several locations, only to find either the phones were nonoperational or removed. Growing tired, he meandered down the streets, when he spied what he hoped for - what appeared to be a working payphone.

David lifted the receiver, heard the dial tone, but realized that he didn’t have any money to make the call. Seeing the number for emergencies, he dialed, “Nine, one, one — What’s your emergency?”

“Uh, yeah…” David croaked then cleared his voice, “my name's David Montgomery and I need to talk to Officer Jozef Donovan.”

“Do you need fire, medical or police?” the voice asked almost in a monotone tone.

“He works for the police. He told me to call him or Officer Jana and let them know where I am. Can you contact them for me?” he asked.

Once she heard David’s name, the operator quickly scanned a list of names. With a touch of a button, the operator signaled for the on duty officer at police headquarters to listen in. “Did you say your name is David Montgomery?” the operator asked to verify.

“Yes, Ma’am. Me and my family were kidnapped almost two years ago.”

"David, I want you to stay where you are. I’ve requested a police car sent to your location. The police will be there soon.”

“But … I don’t want any police officer. I want Officer Jozef,” he demanded, “He wanted me to call him.”

“David, I want you to stay on the phone until the officer arrives. You can tell him when he arrives, but you need to stay there.”

Panicking, David dropped the receiver and hurried away. “David? David don’t hang up…”

David tried to run down an alley, when the police cruiser turn the corner behind him, only to stop when he came to a wooden fence blocking his path. With lights shining on him and no place to hide, David backed up against the fence.

The officer exited the cruiser and slowly approached the frightened boy. “It’s alright son. You’re going to be fine,” he said in a reassuring voice. “You're David Montgomery right?” David nodded. “We’ve been looking for you ever since he put the call in. He’s been worried sick wondering where you were.”

David didn’t resist when the officer led him over to the cruiser and placed him in the back seat. The Officer radioed back to his superior.

“Where are you taking me? David asked through the plated glass that separated the two.

“Where do you think I’m taking you David?” the officer replied heading away from the city. “Back home… to your father.”

**********

David stood before the hefty man, trembling with fear. “All right boy, let’s try this once more. Where were you for the past week?”

“I told you. I was being punished for breaking into a water park.” David said in a meek voice, compelled to answer, not bothering to resist.

“Don’t play games with me boy, I want the truth.”

“I’m telling you the truth. I spend the week with my mother and brother as a girl. I worked at a water park, and I had fun.”

Furious Nathan smacked the boy across the face, sending David sprawling across the floor. “That’s for lying to me. I don’t know how you do it, but I’ll break you again.” Nathan lifted David from the floor. “Maybe a week in the closet will soften you up.”

Tossed inside, David slid down to the floor, very afraid. No one knew where he was. Back once more with Nathan, David could only hope that Anya and Jozef would find him in time. He knew he’d never survive the week.

*************

“You think your shift was strange, you should been with me when I took that boy back to his father yesterday morning,” Officer Milner said next to the other officer when they passed by the break room as their shift ended. “Kid was crazy, spouting off at the mouth. Even his father said so.”

Jozef barely paid attention to the conversation, when he stepped in the break room to refill his and Jana’s coffee mugs, his mind working feverishly on where to start the next leg of the search for David.

Since yesterday he had driven down streets with Anya using their senses to try and locate David, wondering what happened to him. “Yeah, well it couldn’t have been any worse than the drunk who thought he could fly with the pink elephants. Took three of us to coax him down out of the tree with the promise of meeting a talking mouse.”

“Probably, but the boy was mental. Got the call in late yesterday night to pick him up and take him back home. An APB had been put out for him. Father said he had run away from home. Strange kid, when I took him home, claimed he had once been a girl named Melody, said he needed to contact some detective. Didn’t help when his father said the boy had lost it, which was the reason he ran away in the first place. Nice guy, very concerned for his boy.”

Jozef dropped the steaming mugs on the counter upon hearing Melody’s name. He rushed towards the two officers. “Who did he say his name was?” he demanded, cornering the startled officer. His voice was unusually tense and low. “What was his name?!”

“Look ‘Rookie’ I don’t know what your problem is, but…”

Irritated, Jozef grew weary of being treated as the newbie. Jozef grabbed the officer by the shirt and pushed him into the wall. “Just answer the damn question. Did the boy say his name was David? Was he looking for a detective named Jozef or Jana?”

“Look, he was just a runaway. I just took him back to his father, like I was ordered to.”

“Describe him to me. What was his name? What did he look like?” Jozef didn’t like how the officer avoided his questions.

“I would suggest you show some respect to this ‘Rookie’, and answer the man. I believe he’s had enough of how he’s been treated lately.” a gruff voice called behind him when Jana, the chief, and Roy showed up.

“Look Roy if you want to defend ….” Milner began, only to be cut off.

“Answer the damn question”, Jozef nearly yelled.

“I don’t recall. His wasn’t the only call I had that night.”

Jozef nearly dragged the officer down the corridor and hauled him into a secluded office, “Have a seat, Officer Milner.”

“You don’t believe ...? Roy asked furtively, not wanting the others to hear about the magic. He saw Jozef nod. “I’ll pull up the dispatches from yesterday," Roy said, “Find out who was on call at the center, and get a list of nine-one-one calls, too.”

“I’ll contact Grandmother and Anya,” Jana said. “If this man knows where David is, and is under some sort of compulsion, they’ll know.”

*************

The cruiser pulled over to the curb, allowing its driver to step out and survey the area. Jozef stood close, never stepping away from the open door. He scanned the way he’d come, taking note of the towers. Even in broad daylight, he could see the center tower flash its lights in the distance. Around him the area looked desolated, with its run down homes that matched David’s description. The old side of town had surely seen better days.

Seated inside, Anya took notice as shades and worn curtains shuffled slightly by the inhabitants, who didn't wish to become involved with any police matter. Those who had ventured onto their porches or entry ways hurried inside to quickly lock their doors. To many times, they had heard the sound of gunfire from gang wars and drug dealers, and they weren't about to risk being outside.

Even with her magic, Anya wasn’t foolish enough to risk coming into the seedy side of town. Not alone, anyway. She reached out with her senses, looking for David. “Any luck?”

Jozef climbed back inside, and retrieved the map once more. “Nothing. It's a shame you were only able to pull out the general location of where Milner had taken David.”

“At least we’re on the right track.” Anya stated. “Nathan really did a number on both him and Officer Garrett. Grandmother said she may never be able to repair the damage done to their memories.”

“You're right, of course.” Jozef conceded. "There’s no telling how many officers Nathan compelled to obey him. I’m sure the chief will want you to check all the other officers to ensure they're not under any of Nathans directives.”

Pulling away, he traversed the streets, until he impulsively made a right turn onto a dirt-paved road. Without giving it much thought, he reached out with his own senses, and he detected something faint. Anya reached outwards herself, only to recoil slightly when her sense touched the all-too-familiar pendant. Lightly she probed once more, praying it was still on David. She sighed with relief when she found him weak but alive. Probing further, she located the other half, mindful now of the backlash. She could see the acknowledgement on Jozef’s face when he backed slowly away from the house.

*************

David sat quietly at the table, his mouth watering from the smell of food, while Nathan consumed his meal in front of him,. “Hungry boy?” Nathan teased David with the food in front of him. “I can only imagine how you managed to survive the week foraging for food from who knows where. I bet this is a delicacy compared to what you’ve been eating.” he said before he took another bite. “Just tell me where you’ve been and I’ll let you eat.”

David kept his eyes downcast not daring to look at the food. Suddenly a part of him seemed to scream inside ‘I’m here!’ when he felt Anya’s presence, only to have it fade away. ‘Don’t leave me.’ he begged.

Nathan put down his food and looked around the room. A chill seemed to overcome him and he rose from the table. “Into _the_ closet_ boy,” he ordered. “Don’t come out or make a sound.” David stood up and complied. Nathan closed the door behind him when David slumped to the ground.

Just when Nathan entered the living room, the door burst open “Freeze,” Jozef yelled pointing his pistol at him.

Nathan froze, taking the situation in calmly “What’s the problem, officer?”

“Put your hand’s up where I can see them. Jozef demanded, slowly moving inside the house. “Where’s the boy?”

“What boy?”

“I know he’s here. David, come out here.”

“Officer I don’t know what you’re talking about. There’s _no_ boy_ here. Just _put_ down_ the gun and I’ll show you.” Nathan said.

With much uncertainty, Jozef started to comply only to raise his weapon once more. “I would suggest you don’t utter another word. That necklace,” Jozef signaled with his weapon. "Take it off now!”

“What the …” Nathan uttered. “I said put away your weapon” he ordered. Jozef struggled, forced to comply and holstered his pistol.

“Now get down” Nathan said compelling the officer to the ground. "And stay there till I tell you to move.”

Down on all fours, Jozef found himself unable to move. He saw Nathan starting to remove the pendant. Just outside the door Anya moved inside with an air of confidence, her fingers moving in an intricate pattern.

A part of Nathan wanted to obey the words he heard inside his head, telling him to surrender and do as she told him. “Get the hell out of my head, bitch.”

Startled, Anya momentarily lost focus and stumbled with her spell, only to recompose herself. She had never had anyone disobey her orders.

“Quit moving your damn fingers,” Nathan said fighting her, moving slowly towards her.

“Listen Bitch,” Nathan snarled “give it up. Maybe I’ll let you live after I get done with the narc. _Now_ get_ on your knees.

Anya continued to whisper unintelligible words as Nathan fought against her.

"Quit your muttering, Bitch," he snarled as he grasped hold of the pendant around his neck, drawing on its power to strengthen his will against the young sorceress

Anya continued her magic assault, while Nathan became momentarily distracted when he noticed movement out of the corner of his eye. Suddenly, he felt compelled to fall to his knees, as he found his own mind suggesting that he give up his struggle and obey Anya's commands.

Nathan ignored the impulse as he refocused his attack on Anya, while she struggled under its power. Sensing that she was weakening, he growled in anger, "Shut_the_fuck_up_bitch! He forced more of his will upon her, commanding her to "Stay_the_fuck_still!" as Anya tried to move away.

Anya realized she was losing the battle. Nathan stepped forward, reaching outward with his free hand as he slowly gained supremacy over her. He grabbed her by the throat with his beefy hand, and slowly started squeezing. Anya's surprised look turned to one of terror, as she realized that she had badly misjudged the pendant's power. She'd never been in a real magic battle before, and her first one wasn't going well at all.

As she struggled to breathe, Anya watched helplessly as his face grinned triumphantly. "Gotcha now, bitch. Once I'm done with you, I'll take care of the officer."

Out of nowhere, a shrill voice screamed, "Leave her alone, you bastard! David rammed his body against Anya's tormentor. He hit Nathan over the head with a plate, which shattered, but Nathan maintained his grip on the girl. David continued his onslaught as he tried to draw Nathan's attention away from Anya. He jumped on Nathan's back and started to pull on the man's hair, wrapping his legs around Nathan's waist.

Struggling against the unexpectedly fierce attack from David, Nathan was forced to release his grasp, letting a nearly-strangled Anya fall to the floor. He reached behind himself and tried to grab hold of the boy.

David continued to yell as he struck him with weakened fists, demanding "Give_me_back_my_pendant! It's mine, not yours!"

Nathan twisted and turned, his attention now focused on David. Nathan swung around wildly as he tried to dislodge the crazed boy, who tried to box his ears.

As he clung onto Nathan, David continued to distract Nathan from Anya with his feeble attacks and verbal assaults. "I gave half the pendant to my brother, you asshole! I_want_it_back!" Even with his feeble blows, David's anger had it desire effect, as years of suffering at the hands of Nathan flowed from him. "You killed Brad for it, you bastard! You killed my brother, and took away my mother by changing her! You_destroyed_my_family!"

Ranting like a lunatic, David continued to hit Nathan with all he had. "You wanted to use it against me, to control me like Mom! Well you couldn't! I fought it! I fought it all these years because it was mine to begin with, not his! You_hear_me, IT_BELONGS_TO_ME!"

Nathan was forced to let go of the pendant, and he grabbed hold of David's arm just as David was able to wrap his arm around his neck. As he yanked the crazed boy around, Nathan felt drops of blood trickle down his neck from where David had clawed him.

His face red with anger, Nathan tossed the frail boy away as if he was a ragdoll. "You Bastard!" he screamed. "You'll pay for that."

David hit the side of a cabinet with a sickening crunch, and felt his ribs give way as they took the full impact. David fell to the floor with a thud, and the cabinet toppled on top of him.

Nathan yelled in triumph, "Serves you right kid. I had plans for you, but not anymore! I control the pendant. Its power's mine now, not yours!"

Forced to watch the struggle between Nathan and David, Jozef suddenly found that he was able to slowly move of his own free will. Gathering his wits about him, Jozef struggled to reassert control over his body, as Nathan's command no longer had its intended effect. As he reached outwards, searching for the magic, Jozef could no longer detect the magic of the pendant coming from Nathan, but from where David had been thrown.

Jozef realized that David had managed to remove the pendant from Nathan. As he lifted himself off the floor, Jozef called out. "Anya, Nathan doesn't have the pendant." Clenching his hand into a fist, he sprang towards Nathan just as Nathan realized that the pendant was gone. Taking aim, Jozef connected with Nathan's upper jaw causing him to stagger sideways.

As Anya struggled to regain her breath, her terror at being strangled gave way to anger and her temper flared at how close he'd come to killing her. In a hoarse voice, Anaya renewed her magic fight once more, as she could feel the power in Nathan grow weaker.

Wavering under her renewed assault, Nathan started to buckle under Anya's mental and Jozef's physical attacks. He swung blindly at Jozef, and as he slowly weakened, he could see the anger on Anya's face deepen.

Jozef delivered a side kick to Nathans ribs, before he placed a well-aimed hit to the face, and finally watched as Nathan staggered backwards. He crumpled to the ground after being hit with a final uppercut to the jaw. Battered by Jozef's assault, his mind weakened by Anya's magic, Nathan finally succumbed, and his eyes glazed and he collapsed into unconsciousness.

Anya's face still showed a mask of anger, as she massaged her neck, red and sore from where the man's hand had grabbed her. Shaking, Anya tried to scream at him with her sore throat, "You bastard! You son of a bitch!"

As he massaged his sore hand, Jozef uttered through clenched teeth, "He definitely doesn't have a glass jaw." Jozef watched, horror-stricken, as Anya started to direct her fury at the now docile man. He grabbed hold her. "Anya stop! He's down. It's over!" Jozef said with an urgency in his voice.

Furious, Anya screamed, "It's not over! That bastard's got to pay- pay dearly for what he did." Her eyes narrowed as she started to utter another incantation.

Knowing that he might regret the action, but needing desperately to get through Anya's anger, Jozef slapped her across the face, breaking her concentration.

She turned her attention on him. Suddenly Anya realized what she was about to do as Jozef stood before her. She clasped a hand across her mouth, and quickly stepped backwards, looking like she was in shock, and she apologized to him. "I'm sorry Jozef, I didn't mean… I've never been so angry, so scared in my life and he …."

Jozef went over to Nathan and angrily, roughly pulled the man's arms behind and handcuffed them together. "Remind me to inform Greg never to make you angry." He tried to ease the tension, now that the struggle was over, but the joke fell flat.

Once he was certain that Nathan was incapacitated, Jozef gently asked as he held the shaken woman, "Are you okay?"

As she calmed down, Anya realized how much she had always depended on her magic to protect herself. She'd underestimated her opponent, and it had nearly cost her life. She continued to apologize to Jozef. "I'm so sorry Jozef; I've never had to fight anyone with so much power before! It took all I could do just trying to keep him away. If it wasn't for David…"

Suddenly, they both realized that, in the fight, they had completely forgotten about the boy. As she bolted towards the fallen cabinet, Anya called out, "David! David! Are you okay?" She looked around where Nathan had thrown the boy, but she couldn't find anything except a few spots of blood. She closed her mind and probed with her sense, but couldn't locate him anywhere nearby. "I...can't sense the magic, or him!"

"You won't find him, Anya, or the pendant." Standing next to the open door, Jozef gazed outside, "I can't feel it, but I know he has it. He took it with him Anya, and I'm betting he used it to make us forget about him as he ran away with it."

***************

Jozef paced as he tried to explain to the chief the urgency of what had happened. "I'm telling you, they need to be careful if they run across the boy. He's hurt, and we don't know what state of mind he's in." He became visibly annoyed at the response he received. "No, we don't know where he'd go. Hell Chief, he could be anywhere with that pendant. Yes, it’s _that_ powerful, Nathan nearly killed Anya with it." He waited impatiently for a response. "No, she's fine. She's talking to Grandmother now. Look, just send someone over to pick up Nathan."

He felt a touch on his shoulder, and Jozef paused as Anya spoke quietly to him, "Grandmother and Jana are on their way."

Jozef covered the microphone of his phone and muttered under his breath so the chief wouldn't hear, "Is she angry?"

"Beyond livid, I'm afraid." Anya looked worried.

Jozef turned his attention back to his phone. "Chief, never mind about Nathan. Things just went beyond us on him. Just have the others search for the boy," he said as Anya nodded gravely. "Will he stay put while we search?" he asked Anya.

Her anger had abated, but she was still very upset. "He should. I was pretty forceful in the compulsion. And the way you trussed him up, I don't think he can get very far."

Jozef headed towards the car with Anya not far behind him. "Let's try along the east side. Hopefully David hasn't traveled very far."

************

David limped down the street as fast as he could go, while his head and chest throbbed with pain from hitting the cabinet. As he fled the scene of the fight, David clutched the pendant in his hand; forcing people to forget about him as he moved passed them.

Dazed and confused, putting as much distance between him and Nathan as possible, David thought he heard his brother's voice.

"Just toss the ball Davey before I tackle you. It doesn't matter where. I gotta practice my hits."

Laughing, David called to his brother before he threw the ball, "You’re gonna be the best tackler there is Brad. Even Dad said so."

David turned down a street not caring where he headed. His father's voice echoed, reminding him of his duty to the family.

"You're the man of the house son while I'm gone." His father smiled and his mom winked. The two seemed to have a secret between them. "Don't worry honey; I'll remind him as he complains about having to make his bed and doing his chores," his Mom said. Embarrassed by his mother David shrugged, "Awe mom!" His dad ruffled his hair one last time before he turned to leave with his unit overseas."

David yelled before his father boarded the bus to transport him to the airport. "DAD!"

Turning, his father smiled broadly when he saw David saluting him. Major Montgomery yelled back as he returned the boys salute. "You're in charge son. Take care of them."

David stopped as he tried to catch his breath, he heard Brads voice once more.

"Davey, Dad gave you that, and said it was yours since you're the oldest."

David broke the pendant in half, and watched as a shower of purple sparks jumped between the now broken halves. "Well, I'm giving you half, Brad, we're brothers right?" He felt a sharp sting between his finders where several sparks touched him before he handed it to his brother.

Brad's voice echoed back to him. "Wow Davey how did you make that happen?"

"It's David now, not Davey. Davey's a kids name; I have to be a man now."

Remembering his Dads words, he continued, "It's my job to help take care of you and Mom now that Dad's not coming back." He wiped tears from his eyes, as his brother held his half of the pendant. "It'll be my job Brad and I want you to help too."

David felt a hand on his shoulder, interrupting the voices from the past. He heard a man's voice questioning him, "Young…lady are you hurt?" as a small group had gathered around him.

David pushed the hand away, and angrily commanded, "Go _away_! I’m _not_ here! You've _never_ seen_ me!" He watched the crowd wandered away, never giving him another glance.

David winched in pain as he tenderly touched his side. He tried to will the pain away only to find it had no effect on him. Tired, he needed a place to hide, to rest, as his head seemed to throb worse.

His vision started to blur, and he felt like throwing up, when David headed towards an open park. After crawling into a large drain pipe where kids played, David tried to lean back against its curvy side, only to gasp in pain as his ribs hurt from his body bending to match the curve of the pipe.

Not caring if anyone had heard him, David mumbled incoherently as he lay down sideways, "I'm coming Dad, Brad, I'll be there soon." David felt the dried blood as he rested his head on his arm trying to ease the pain and nausea he felt.

Drifting in an out of a foggy haze, David recalled how both he and Brad tried to escape from Nathan that day. A memory of how two young boys ran for their lives as Nathan gave chase.

After breaking into an abandoned home, David told his scared brother, "Hide in the closet Brad, and don't make a sound. I'll keep watch for him."

David heard the door close while he walked quietly around the house, looking outside and trying to keep watch.

As David nodded off, fighting sleep, a rough hand suddenly covered David's mouth when Nathan grabbed him from behind. Whispering in the boys ear, "Trying to run away from me, were you? I'll show you what happens to kids who run away from me, boy." With a firm grip on the youth, the burly man carried David into the kitchen.

He ripped David's T-shirt from his body, and used it to gag the struggling child. Tying him with what was left of his shirt; Nathan looked around at the broken furniture, when a wicked grin formed on his face. He forced the boy to the floor.

David struggled as Nathan placed his left leg against a broken chair and held it in place.

His eyes wide with fright, watched as Nathan raised a large chair leg above his head, "Let's see how good you can run away with a busted leg boy," and swung downward with it across David's thigh bone.

David screamed in pain as he felt - and heard - the bone crack when the wood made contact. All the while, Nathan grinned wickedly in the pleasure of it.

Somewhere through David's muffled screams of pain, he watched Nathan begin to repeat the process on a different part of his leg, when - he - heard his brother yell. "Leave my brother alone!"

Crying out in pain, David watched as Brad tried to tackle the giant of a man. He watched helplessly as Nathan took the chair leg and bashed it against his brother's skull with a sickening - and final - crunch. Before he passed out from the pain, David knew his brother was never going to play football again. Brad was never going to do _anything_ again.

Startled awake from the nightmare, David could see that the sun would be setting soon. Still, the images in his head continued. Pulling himself out of the pipe, he saw his mother weeping as she broke down in tears, crying.

"Brad's gone. You were supposed to get him to safety, to bring back help. Only now your brother's gone. You said you'd protect him!" she accused after Nathan had carried David back in pain.

Now with Brad's half of the pendant, David watched and listened as Nathan used the pendant on his mother. He observed how Nathan used the pendant to turn his own mother against him. "You're no son of mine! You failed him." She declared, to Nathans twisted form of enjoyment. "I don't know why your father put you in charge. Brad would have done a better job than you!"

David seethed with anger as Nathan demoralized his mother further, changing her into a prostitute for his own personal gain.

Elaine, dressed in a slutty outfit stood before Nathan, gave him the money she took in from that night. "Elaine, that's not nearly as much as you'd brought in the night before."

In a timid voice, Elaine shivered visibly, hoping Nathan wouldn't punish her, quickly explained, "There were two new girls, several years younger than me, taking my regulars. I was lucky to make this."

In a condescending voice David heard Nathan exclaim, "We'll you're not as pretty or young as you used to be. Perhaps a new place for you to work." Drumming his fingers as if he was thinking, Nathan pulled out a business card from his pocket. Handing it to her, he said, "There's a new place opening out of town. Go to this address. They'll be waiting for you."

David watched his mother leave on last time when Nathan commanded her before she left, "Oh, and Elaine, be sure to have them put your earnings in my account."

David remembered how he had once escaped, but a policeman brought him back only to have Nathan change the officers perception of what happened.

"Don't worry officer; I'll be sure to discipline him for running away. Thanks again for bringing him back." Nathan pulled David roughly inside as the officer turned away, not caring what David had said earlier.

Into the night David walked reliving the memories on how Nathan had grown frustrated with him when the pendant failed to work on him.

Nathan commanded harder as David sat there with the banana in his hand. "I said lick it damn you."

"No! David yelled defiantly, nearly earning him a backhanded slap when he stuffed as much of the fruit in his mouth before Nathan stopped him, savoring the taste as he swallowed as much as possible.

Soon even David couldn’t resist the pendants power, "That's it boy. Suck on it. Suck on it all you want." Nathan was pleased with himself. "Why don't you take a bite of it now, hmm? Go on take a big bite of it."

David resisted the urge as hard as he could while he brought the fruit to his lips. His mouth puckered up more when he took a small bite, before he was able to stop himself.

Nathan brought forth his evil grin as David spit out what he had bitten into. "Don't sweat it boy, it’s a start, it's a start indeed. I have plans for you boy." Nathan said with an evil grin.

David crouched behind the bushes as the car drove slowly down the street. Seeing no more cars after it continued down the street, David stood up and continued down the lane. His head throbbed with pain as he felt the dry mat of blood coating its side. Even the sharp pain of his shattered ribs had become a throbbing ache as he lost blood and strength. He muttered to himself, "I'm sorry Dad. I'm sorry Brad. I failed the family and you."

When he came to a brick wall, David scaled it; he was beyond pain now. He cared about nothing more than to reach the goal he'd set for himself. Dispirited, weak, feeling hopeless inside, he hoped they would at least forgive him. He _needed_ them to forgive him, since his own mother had given up on him so long ago.

His voice carried in the night as he talked deliriously to the headstone of his dead father. He imagined his father before him as he tried to explain, his head hung in shame "I'm sorry Dad. I screwed up royally, I'm sorry," he pleaded, desperately seeking his father's forgiveness, only to have his father turn away disappointed.. "NO DAD, DON’T GO!"

Crying to no one in particular, David curled up beside his brothers grave. "I'm back, Brad. You’re my brother right? You forgive me don’t you?" And as he looked at the half of the pendant he'd given Brad, he imagined how it glowed softly in his hand. "I brought it back to you like I promised I would. I brought it back, Brad. I brought it back, cause I gave it to you."

Finally overcome by fatigue, he laid his head down on his arm to curl up close to the cold slab of stone, longing to be with a family now gone; trying desperately to conjure up memories of better times they once shared.

In his hand clutched tightly, one pendant then the other seemed to glow together in the night, together once more with its rightful owner.

*************

Once more, Jozef headed down the road as the sun slowly crept up in the morning sky. Having remembered what David had said earlier, Jozef had an unnatural confidence about his destination. "I'm telling you Anya, he would come here. He loved both his father and brother dearly."

"True, and with the pendant's power, he could make anyone forget him," Anya acknowledged. "That would explain why no-one we've talked to has seen him."

Jozef turned the car through the cemetery gates, and followed a path that he'd learned earlier in his investigation. As he neared Brad's grave, Jozef felt the familiar feeling when he came close to something magical, only this time, he detected two pieces, each with its own distinct signature.

He slowed down, and heard a gasp from Anya as she touched the boy with her ability. "We have to hurry Jozef. He's hurt - really bad."

After Jozef parked the car as near their destination as possible, the two ran, slowing only when they approached the grave. There they spotted David, curled up as if he was taking a nap. He lay unmoving in the chill of the morning air, exactly where he had laid down sometime in the night.

In a worried voice Anya exclaimed as she examined the content of David's injuries, ever mindful of the pendant's power, "We don't have much time Jozef. He's alive, but barely."

Ever so carefully, Jozef lifted the frail boy in his arms, resting the boys head on his shoulder as he headed back towards the car, "The nearest hospital is at least ten to fifteen minutes from here."

Anya winced at that news, and proclaimed as she strode by Jozef's side, "Jozef... Jozef, listen to me. He won't live that long. Even if I transported us to the hospital, he won't live long enough for the trauma doctors to take care of him."

Jozef paused, and listened as Anya explained tearfully. "He's hurt badly. We're lucky that he's even alive now. But if we hurry, there's a chance, a slim chance he'll live. But the only way is…"

As he looked at the boy, Jozef understood what Anya was suggesting. "We promised him we’d take him someplace safe after we found him. He didn’t want to go back to the park."

"I know," Anya acknowledged, pain in her voice. She uttered the spell transporting them from the cemetery to the front of the water park.

Outside the entrance, Grandmother waited as the two approached. With her stern expression, Anya feared Grandmother would block Jozef from entering the park as he carried the boy.

Instead, Grandmother waved them forward, as she explained in a hurried tone, "I've had the girls close off the wading pool. The water from the showers will be too strong for him. The shock from that strong of magic would kill him."

Grandmother approached Jozef as he carried the boy into the park. As she reached for the pendants, Grandmother informed him. "It is rare, Jozef, that I will allow a male to enter my park, let alone two. Please understand that I'm only doing this for the sake of the boy."

Astonished and grateful, Jozef could only say; "Mulţumire! Bunica" as he hurried to catch up to Anya.

As he entered the shallow water, Anya placed her hands under David's legs. Slowly they both lowered themselves into the water. Beside him, unbidden and surprisingly, a third set of hands reached out, taking hold of David's head.

Jozef watched as Coach Lisa seated herself in the water next to him. She placed the boy's ashen face in her lap, stroking the boy's cheek. In a sorrow filled voice, and fighting back tears, she said, "Grandmother said he'd be back. She couldn't see if he'd live; only that you both would return with him."

As they sat in the water, cradling the gravely-injured boy, his breathing came in ragged gasps, Jozef noticed Grandmother and several more staff members gathered along the pools edge with worried expressions. They were watching and waiting anxiously.

As she sat there, Lisa caressed David's face, talking to no one in particular. "Liz and I watched him as he practiced on the boards. We watched as he surfaced just after a dive, grinning like a Cheshire cat, or smacking the water in frustration. He knew when he did a dive right, or wrong."

She moved a few stray strands of hair out of David's face and continued. "If not the boards, he'd swim lap after lap for as long as he could, before Liz would make him stop to take a break."

"He's shy around people until he gets to know them, and he's very observant. We found that out when he first made comments to us while he'd wait for some chore needing to be done. He pointed out minor mistakes the girls would make that we'd missed; he'd suggest to them what to do to correct the problem and left it up to them to either accept or ignore his advice. He'd encourage the girls to do better, because his Dad said it was the right thing to do." Tears were streaming down her face, dripping into the water of the pool, but she didn't notice or care.

She tilted her head in direction of the Junior Lifeguard Academy direction, Lisa stated as a matter of fact, "The JLA became his solace, Jozef, his home away from home, and all the while, he hid his troubles from all of us."

Minutes felt like hours while they listened to David's labored breathing, unsure whether he'd live or die.

All around each breathed a collective sigh of relief once they heard David's breathing become stronger and color returned to his face. Ever-so-slowly his body took on the feminine features of a young pre-teen girl. Clothes morphed from the tattered remains, and then, strangely, a pendant reappeared around David's slender neck, both heart-shaped pieces locked together once more.

Jozef reached over with his own feminized hand and snapped the chain. He yanked the pendant from David and sent it flying as far away as possible, only to have it, moments later, re-materialize around his neck.

With a panic-stricken look on her face, Anya concentrated, using incantation after incantation she knew working feverishly to prevent the intermingling of both David's pendant and Bikini Beach's magical properties. Afterwards an exhausted Anya found to her dismay, her efforts had been for naught; she detected both spells enveloped David - now Melody - once more as she floated in the pool.

************

David, braced his hands on slender hips as he stood his ground, clad once more in the familiar staff uniform, as Grandmother prepared to extract her form of vengeance on Nathan. "I _said_ No!" he said in a firm yet cracking contralto voice, nearly stomping a slender foot in emphasis.

Grandmother paused in the middle of her incantation, and all eyes turned to the pre-teen, none more so than Nathan. Forced to sit quietly and helplessly, Nathan watched as Grandmother expression started to show her annoyance with the young girl.

"Grandmother please!" he pleaded, "I know he nearly killed Miss Anya and me, but to turn him into a prostitute like my mom? That would be wrong."

"I can think of worse things for him David," she explained to the youth.

Repulsed by the man, David refused to even look at Nathan, else he might turn on him as well. "So can I, Grandmother, but it would still be wrong."

Grandmother tried to appeal to his sense of justice, "So do you want the courts to handle this? Nothing good would come of it. David doesn't exist in this reality. You would have to lie under oath about what happened."

David touched the pendant without thinking, "I could make them believe me, Grandmother."

"Would you David? Would you use it for your own purpose?"

David thought for a moment, and then hung his head. "No, that would be wrong too."

"So we're back to where we started."

Having listened to the two argue, Anya thought of a possible solution. She used her telepathy to convey her thoughts to Grandmother who nodded appreciatively, as she then approached David. "David, honey, what if there was another way."

David was puzzled. "Not a prostitute?"

"Not a prostitute, I promise, but…" She bent forward, whispered in his ear.

Slowly, his face began to brighten and a small grin spread across his face. "You can do that? And girly?" David asked.

"Yes and as girly as I can make him," Anya said with a smile and a wink.

"Will he remember?"

"Do you want him to?" she asked again.

David hesitated, unsure. "I…I don't know. I mean it's wrong, but... You decide, I don't want to know. I don't even want to be here when you do it."

As Lisa guided David towards the door, he couldn't resist the urge when he passed Nathan. "If you do remember, I hope you hate every minute of it. My family may be back for now, but they're not the same ones I remember. I'll never forget the ones I grew up with, Nathan, or what you did to us and this Melody."

David tried to imitate Nathan's grin, so out of place on his once more cute face, when he bared his teeth, his full hatred towards the man came forth. "Just think. I get to know what Anya's planning to do to you, and just like you, I don't want to be a girl. Only, I have a choice. In two years, maybe three, you'll be running around screaming and laughing, to do as you please, while I won't be here."

David ignored their gasps nor cared what the adults heard as he hissed, "I_really_don't_want_ to be a girl. I hate it! Still, before I’m gone, I get to know what happens to you, and you know what? It sucks big time, that’s what, because you're going to be alive. You fucking bastard."

Lisa glanced back to see worried and stunned looks all around, and said, "Let's head over to the Staff lounge Mel... I mean David. Let's go have a talk," Lisa closed the door behind her, worried herself as they left.

Anya turned her attention back to Nathan, her ire evident. "I may have promised David to make you girly Nathan, but even girly girls do unspeakable things when they get older. And when you're old enough, so will you — if I let you. I can't allow that." She bit her lip for a moment in thought. "How about this? I can put a spell on you such that every time you feel like doing something violent or evil, you get an overwhelming urge to perform a disgusting sex act. How would you like that?"

Nathan's eyes widened in terror unable to vocalize his fear as he realized the extent of _how_ she could change him.

Anya concentrated, and then began a complicated incantation. As soon as she finished it, she grinned wickedly at Nathan. His eyes were still filled with the terror at what she might have done to him as he felt the beginnings of her chant.

"Oh, don't worry. I'm not evil, unlike you. But I did make you so repulsed by evil and wickedness, that, even though you'll remember what you did and who you were, if you have an evil thought, you'll find an unstoppable compulsion to perform an act of charity. The more wicked the thought, the more charity you'll do."

As Anya cast another spell on Nathan, Jozef placed a call. "Child Services." When a voice answered on the other end. "This is Officer Josslin Donovan, I need to report an abandoned child. Female, appears to be less than one year of age, parent's whereabouts currently unknown at this time." With Nathan’s transformation completed, Jozef felt no remorse for the once man, more concerned about the girl who had just left. "No, I’ll be accompanied by Officer Jana."

While Jana talked with Anya, Jozef approached the older woman as she tried to come to understand her. He looked at the elderly woman with a different perspective, from the stories he had grown up with, needing to drop old perceptions. “I did what I thought was best for the boy Grandmother.”

“As did we all Jozef, but the decision is ultimately David’s, I’m afraid. If we forced him to live a life he didn’t want, would we have been any better than Nathan?”

“Grandmother, there is much I still have to learn. Great-grandmother said she was bitter in the beginning. She didn’t understand what you had done for her until later. Over time she began to appreciate what you had done for her.”

Grandmother studied Jozef for a moment as she read what he was about to ask. "I'm afraid I'm not much of a teacher, Jozef." Her eyes echoed a great sadness. "I've failed as a teacher before. I'm afraid of failing you, too."

"Still, Grandmother, I've learned more on this case than when I did it alone. I don't fully understand the extent of what I have. With yours, and Anya's help, maybe I can hone my ability further."

Jozef with Jana's help settled a now sleeping infant within a car seat Anya had magically provided, and explained, "My friends didn't understand what I could do, and I learned to keep it a secret, afraid to use it. Perhaps if I had more practice, better understood what I could do, the outcome would have been more favorable for David."

"Understand, Jozef, we may not see eye to eye all the time, but I'll see what I can do for you."

"That’s all I ask Grandmother," he said before he departed, leaving Anya and Grandmother alone.

“Josie? Jana said softly, “after we drop her off, let’s go have a chat, detective to detective, my treat.” Jana offered. Jozef nodded solemnly at the thought.

"He's hurting inside Grandmother."

"Deeply Anya. He blames himself for not making David stay. He blames himself for the fight, and Nathan ... hurting you. Whatever happens we need to let Jana and Jozef know."

Anya looked at her grandmother. She, too, was still learning about Grandmother, and her respect had grown substantially through the events surrounding David. "You showed great restraint, Grandmother, after what Nathan did to us. I thought for sure you'd do something to him while we searched for David."

Grandmother admitted however reluctantly to her Granddaughter. "I was sorely tempted, Anya. Knowing you were safe is what held me back - that and I knew you'd find a unique punishment for him."

"So David didn't stop you?"

"No Anya, he did stop me," Grandmother corrected her granddaughter, "and that's what worries me. But not with his pendant. He did it with his words. Even with the evil he'd endured, he still didn't want us to act out of malice as much as he wanted to earlier.”

“Perhaps, Grandmother, it was the fact that you told him what happened to you that changed his mind.” Anya speculated.

“Maybe. I'm curious, though, where did his father find such a powerful talisman? But that’s enough for now." Grandmother’s and Anya's greater concern turned back to the boy and his desire not to stay. "Right now, we have more important matters to worry about." Anya could only nod in agreement.

**********

David rotated his spoon in the ice cream cup while Coach Lisa talked. "Miss Lisa, I know what you're trying to do. My mind is made up. I'm sorry."

Beside her, both Holly and Vicky had joined their group as Lisa tried to persuade the pre-teen.

"Honey, you're young, and you have your whole life ahead of you. You shouldn't end it this way," Coach Lisa said in a sincere, almost pleading tone. Like Holly, Lisa couldn't understand why David refused to budge. "Why, David? Why do you hate being a girl so much?"

David stared into the cup, not really interested in eating as the ice cream melted. "Miss Lisa, why does Miss Anya have to make some guys forget that they've been changed into girls?"

"Because they can't accept ..." Lisa started to say, but then her eyes widened as she realized what he'd been trying to tell them.

He removed the pendant from around his neck and placed it on the table with a heavy sigh. "I wish I could come to the park and have fun on the rides like them. I wish that, when I changed back from being a girl, I could tell my friends how much fun I had here never knowing. I envy them, Miss Lisa." He retrieved the pendant. "The half I kept never lets me forget things, like who I am. If I'd never worn it in the shower, maybe I would have had Melody's memories, but I did, and now I'll always be David. It'll never let me forget. Ever."

"How do you know that? How can you be so sure?" Holly asked as David spun the pendent on its chain in front of them.

"I don't remember much from when I was little, but from the time Dad gave me this, I've remembered everything. Every single thing. I’ve always been good at pointing out things, but that’s because I watch people, and it's helped me with that, and I could recall it again and again. It's like I have a photographic memory."

Lisa wondered aloud, curious, "Why are you telling us this, David?"

"There's another reason I don't want to stay" he said as he pointed to the other half after it had stopped spinning. "It's dangerous. You can control people with it. That's another reason I wanted to go back. Brad was learning what it could do, and he was starting to abuse it, like Nathan. He didn't play football like I knew he could. He used it to cheat. He even used it on me."

"So if you stayed..." Lisa prompted.

"I would have probably had to fight Brad over it sooner or later. I love my brother, even in this reality, I guess. I'd rather fight someone I hate than someone I love."

"So we can't change your mind," Lisa pleaded sadly.

"Not unless Miss Anya or Grandmother can make me forget who I am and get rid of the pendant. I don't want it. I'm afraid of what I'll do with it."

“Don’t you think they should know what you’re telling us David?”

David shook his head. "I'm sure they already know. Ever since we came in here, I've felt them checking on me, just like before. I'm sure they're nearby listening, or using their magic to listen in from far away. I wanted them to understand, even after they saved my life, why I don't want to stay. I'm not mad at them, because, Miss Lisa," tears started coming down his eyes and his voice trembled in anguish as he confessed, "I'm scared. I don't want to die, really I don't, but I don't want to be a girl either. It’s not who I am, and ...," He hurled the pendant away. "And I don't want that stupid pendant. It's been nothing but trouble ever since Dad gave it to me."

Before he could run, Lisa grabbed hold of David as he started to rise from his chair. Pulling him close to her, Lisa held on to him as his body shook while he wept uncontrollably.

As she held the trembling girl, Lisa could hear both Holly and Vicky whispering to each other, “Go on, Vicky, he trusts us, and you understand more than anybody what he’s going through.”

“You and your psych classes, Bones,” Vicky uttered under her breath. For some unknown reason, Star Trek references were quite popular among the staff.

“Aye, captain.”

Both Holly and Vicky pulled their chairs closer to Lisa and David so others couldn't overhear.

"You're not the only one who never wanted to be a girl, David," Vicky stated in a soothing voice. She continued. "Both Holly and I know what you're going through."

Between his sobs, David stuttered. "I...I...don't understand. How...how... would you know what it's like?"

Sitting David back down, Lisa wiped the tears from his face, as Vicky explained. "David, just like you, we didn't ask to become girls. For me, it all started with a friend of mine when he wanted to pull a prank."

As David listened, he became enthralled as Vicky told him how she had been changed against her will. His eyes grew wider when Vicky told him how she ruined her life - wanting to end it just like him, only to have a friend stop her in time.

When Vicky finished, Holly picked up where she left off. "David, you're also not the only one to break into the park and be punished." She pointed between the two of them. "The two of us, and a few others, are still paying for the damaged we caused. Once we're done, we can go back to being boys again."

"So you get to become boys again, while I can't."

Vicky quickly made clear her situation. "Honey, that's not entirely true. What Holly didn't tell you is that I may never be able to either. The water intermixed with the wizard's spell. Like you, I have two magics mixed on me. Even though Anya's working on it, she may never be able to undo it. I may never be a boy again."

When David heard it he felt sad for her. "You're stuck like me."

Vicky put her hand on David's shoulder. "Yes, David, I am. It was pretty rough in the beginning, but I made it through, and I think you can, too. You can come to us for help, and I'm sure Anya would help you, too."

David looked thoughtful as he considered the idea.

Lisa and the girls could see David was wavering. She clasped her hands in David's, asking, "David? What about Brad and your mother? Don't you think they wouldn’t like to have their lives back, too? Especially your brother?"

"Yeah, but I don't know anything about them, or Melody." David was clearly torn on what he should do, "Can I think about it? Please?"

********************

David stood alone in front of his father's grave. Nobody bothered him as he thought of why his father left to go overseas.

"Why do you have to go Dad?" he had asked him when both Brad and he were told his father would be going away for a while.

"Well, son, there are people that depend on me, and other soldiers, to help protect them from people who want to take away their freedom." Major Montgomery said after he took a seat next to his son while they fished on the dock. "Son, when I joined the military” he explained to the young boy, “your mother and I understood what our lives would be like. As soon as we settled in one place, it seemed like it was time to move again. Just as soon as you and your brother made friends, we yanked you away from them. It was tough to watch you say goodbye to someone you’d just made friends with."

With a questioning look, David asked his father, "Dad? Mom said you were going to leave the military after this. Is that true?"

Major Montgomery wrapped his arm around his son's shoulder as he pulled him close, giving him a hard squeeze. "Yep, that was a tough decision, but not nearly as tough as watching my family having to deal with constant upheaval. I think it's time I stay put for a while. So after this tour, I'll put in the paperwork and become a civilian once more. It'll be good to be able to spend more time with my family instead of being gone most of the time."

He cast his line out again. "David as you grow up you’ll find not all decisions are going to be easy in life. Some you don't even like to make, but once you make it, you need to stay with it, or else it becomes meaningless."

Major Montgomery stood up and proclaimed with a smirk on his face before he reeled his line back in on last time. "Son, you know what?"

David stood up beside him, looking at him expectedly. "What?"

"I don't think there are any fish in this lake. Why don't you take a look and see if you can find some." He hoisted David in the air and tossed him in, hearing his son laugh, "DAAAAD!"

With a sad smile, “I love and miss you Dad,” David whispered before he gave his father's grave a quick salute and headed back to the car where Lisa, Holly and Vicky waited for him.

As they drove away, Lisa turned on the road back to Bikini Beach. She along with the others decided not to press the issue while David looked out the window, obviously deep in thought. In a quiet voice, "It's not an easy decision, he said to no one in particular, but I decided."

Lisa tried to control herself, as she continued to drive, along with Vicky and Holly, anxious to hear what he had to say. "What did you decide David?" Vicky asked afraid of what he would tell them.

With his eyes watering, David knew what he had to do. He didn't like it, yet he knew it was the right thing to do. "My name's not David -it's- Melody."

***********

Anya tried to reason with the stubborn girl. "Mel, we don't have to do this. You saved my life, and this would be my way of repaying you," she said while Mel studied the paper Grandmother had given her.

"I want to Miss Anya. You both saved _my_ life. You and Officer Donovan and Grandmother talked me out of doing something stupid. I think it's all even, so I should pay. Still that's a lot of money," Mel said when she realized the cost of the pass.

She handed the sheet of paper back, a worried frown on her face. "I don't think I have that much money saved up, Grandmother. You can have what's in my savings account. Maybe I can pay the rest by helping Miss Lisa and Miss Elizabeth? Or even help around the park?" Mel offered.

Anya and Grandmother smiled at what Mel wanted to do. "Did you know about the money you made with the NRD's fundraiser, Mel? They _did_ pay you for those pictures. We kept the money here," Anya informed Mel. "Plus, there was a reward for Nathan's capture, if I remember correctly, along with survivor benefits from your father's military service."

Grandmother recalculated the numbers and handed Mel a new set of figures. "Of course, there would be some money left over, which we would put in your savings account."

"Wow!" Mel exclaimed as she looked at the amount left over. "Wouldn't Mom be suspicious if I suddenly had that much money?"

"That's true." Anya stated. "What if ..." Anya pondered momentarily, "we used this amount," she wrote out a figure on the paper, "to help those that can't afford a one or two day pass and the rest will go into your savings? This way you could help other people, too."

Mel brightened at the idea. "But only if they don't remember or don't mind being a girl, Miss Anya. I don't like how some were forced into being girls."

"Agreed." Anya replied.

Relieved, Mel signed the paper, but then a few more questions seemed to come to her. "Can I tell either Mom or Brad that I can do things? Or about the park? I don't like to keep secrets from them."

"I'm sorry, Mel, there are some things you'll have to keep to a secret, I'm afraid, like the magic you can do. And what happened to them, they may not accept, especially Brad." Grandmother replied.

Disappointed, Mel asked, "I still want to come back and help out at the Lifeguard Academy, if you don't mind."

"I think we can let you help out, if that's what you really want," Grandmother answered, sure that the coaches would be pleased. "I'm sure neither Lisa nor Liz would mind."

"Uh. What happens now? Do I go in the showers?"

"Not this time," Anya guided Mel over to the couch while she studied Mel's aura intently before she started her incantation. The weaves of both spells were tightly cast around the girl. She detected how the pendant's power seemed to shield Mel's memories.

Anya began a complex incantation to make Mel a girl permanently.

Transfixed, images of another life formed within Mel’s mind. She seemed to move within blurred images of a little girl looking in a mirror as she tried on a new dress, or talked with a friend, only to have the images disappear before they became permanent. More and more the images appeared around Mel as if she was on a spinning carousel with them swirling around her, just out of her touch. Desperately Mel tried to grasp hold of them, any of them, in a vain attempt of having some idea of who Melody was, only to have them move beyond her reach. She cried inside when they dissipated into nothingness, gone forever.

Her body tingled all over, and the room seemed to fade in and out, while she struggled to remain conscious. The last thing she remembered before blacking out was Grandmother holding her, and Anya in deep concentration, small beads of sweat on her brow. The blackness of unconsciousness was preceded by a flash of purple light.

**************

Mel moaned slightly when she opened her eyes to the glare of light. Covering her eyes with her hand, she turned away from the offending light.

A cheery voice asked curiously, "How are you feeling?"

Mel's eyes focused on Vicky, who was seated nearby, watching over the young girl. "Woozy. Where am I?"

"The First Aid Station. Your mom's talking with Dr. Chastity and Grandmother in the other room. It seems Anya has a slight headache and went home, while you spent a little too much time over by the diving boards and overexerted yourself," she said with a wink of her eye. With a seriousness in her tone Vicky asked, "How do you really feel, Mel?"

Mel looked down where the pendant lay settled between her two and still developing breasts. "Wishing I was still a boy."

Vicky could only sympathize with the young girl as she helped ease Mel up from the examining table. “I know you do. Just remember, you have me, and Holly, to help you.”

Mel held onto Vicky to steady herself, before the pair walked out of the room together to meet her mother. "I won't forget, Vicky. I promise."

**************

Finished with her story, Mel said, "Vicky and Holly have been helping me, especially Vicky. They've been like big sisters to me."

"When you finally decided to ask us for help," Vicky joked.

"Yeah." Mel admitted awkwardly. "And mom's been helping me also. It hasn't been easy for either of us. We have arguments and I have to be extra careful about what I say at times. But it's not as bad as it had been before."

A voice rang out at hearing the revelation. "Your mother knows you were a boy? You said she couldn't know."

"Yeah, but she's not my real mom, she's my foster mother." Mel's face turned beet red with shame, her eyes downcast while she scuffed the ground with her foot. "I... uh, I had trouble adapting with my family after I became Melody, and someone I love got hurt, and the only way to fix it was for me to leave, to become an orphan. I'm living with Miss Lisa now. She working to become my forever mom and adopt me." Mel hung her head at the memory of what had happened.

"I think that's enough for tonight Mel," Anya said, quite pleased with how much Mel had said, yet knowing that the girl had a _lot_ more to tell. "Maybe some other time when you're ready?"

"Yeah, maybe. I don't feel like talking anymore," Mel said softly.

Vicky put her arm around Mel's shoulder and led her back to their seats. “I think you did great, Mel. I know how hard it was too tell us this much. Telling them took a lot of courage on your part.”

“I guess. I still miss him though. Stupid magic, it sucks.”

*************

"Thanks again for driving me home," Mel said, giving both Vicky and Holly tight hugs. She turned and opened the door to her apartment. “I don't think I would have gone up in front of everyone if the both of you weren't there."

"You did a great job, Mel," Holly said, proud of the young girl. "We didn't expect you say much." Holly remarked. "You couldn't have said it unless you were ready to tell us what happened."

“And seeing you wearing a pretty dress, I think you’re accepting being a girl just fine. Holly commented. “It’s very nice looking.”

“Thanks. I wanted to surprise everyone. Mom and I picked it out and I’ve been practicing wearing high heels. I want to look my best when I ask the Judge to change my last name.”

“I think your last name fits you very nicely, Miss Mudd,” Holly teased. “Liz still thinks you’re a scamp though.”

“You are such a Trekkie," Mel said before sticking her tongue out at Holly and then remembered to ask before she forgot. "Oh, Mom wants to know if you'd both be available Saturday afternoon at the water park? A social worker's coming by and wants to talk to those that know us, and to see where Mom volunteers on the weekends."

"I don't have a problem with it," Holly said, "How about you, Vicky?"

"None that I can think of." Vicky stated. "What's her name?"

Mel gave an impish grin. "_His_ names Mr. Ryan Evans. He's a middle aged man. He has these strange ideas on what a woman's responsibilities should be. I think he's a jerk."

Both girls looked at Mel suspiciously, the same question on their minds. "And I suppose you _suggested_ that he come to the water park?" Vicky asked.

Mel feigned shock at the accusation, but her giggle gave her away. "Uh-uh. Mom did. Really. She thinks he's a jerk, too. Said he's old fashioned about what a woman can do. I'm just going to sit by the Men's showers and watch what happens when she comes out."

*************

Lisa opened the door slowly to keep the noise down as she entered the apartment. Inside, the flickering light of the TV cast its shadow over the living room, where she found her daughter curled up in the recliner, sound asleep. Wrapped in a blanket, Mel's head rested on a throw pillow with one arm draped around a teddy bear dressed in a military uniform.

Lisa gently nudged Mel so as not to startle the girl. "Come on baby, let's get you to bed."

Mel groaned slightly before she rubbed her eyes, "I wanted to wait up for you, mom," Mel yawned sleepily, and as she rose from the chair, her blanket and bear fell to the floor.

"I can see that, sweetheart, but you should be in bed," Lisa chided her gently as she guided the young girl to her room. Lisa handed the bear back to Mel as she tucked her into bed and kissed her on the forehead. "Now back to sleep, sleepy head. We have a long week ahead of us."

Mel yawned as she shifted to get more comfortable, "G'nite Mom, love you." Before she drifted off, eyes drooping, "I saw Jozef at the park tonight" Mel yawned again. "He was helping some girl from Grandmothers office. She looked pretty upset. Hope … okay." Mel's words were interrupted as she finally drifted off to sleep.

She was so tired she didn't hear her mother's worried response. "We hope so baby. We truly hope so."

*************

Brad adjusted the string bag over his shoulders once he stepped off the bus, off in the distance, past the mall, he spied his objective before he headed down the road, his mind drifting back to a meeting he attended some time ago as a teenage girl.

For weeks his thoughts drifted to the story he learned, of how at one time he once had a brother he never knew. His decision to live a girl's life so he and his mother could once more have a life, free from what Nathan had done to them.

The hardest problem for Brad, though, was knowing he’d once been dead, which overshadowed all the other events he heard, unsettling him totally.

Several times in the first week alone, he'd awakened in the middle of the night, sweat dripping from his forehead, suddenly afraid he wouldn't wake up, scared - terrified that morning would never come for him if he slept as all would return to the way it had been before.

Shaken with fright, Brad struggled to push the disturbing thoughts away, only to hear a soothing voice whispered to him it was only a dream putting his fears to rest as he once more fell asleep, focusing instead on his own life; growing up, going to school, and playing football with his father. He recalled the crying his mother and he had done when military officers showed up at their home to report his dad's death, and how hard she took the news. He brought forth to his mind those thoughts, and what occurred afterwards. The care the military provided, counseling for them both, and how he, Brad, helped take over most of the household chores so his mother could deal with both the paperwork and grief which followed. He tried to understand the struggle of his wants as Elaine dealt with the family bills, using insurance money to pay off as many debts and bills as she could while she herself sought to find a job. Finally, when she did find one, her hours were in the late afternoon, leaving her tired in the mornings.

Still Brad didn't complain, and he rode with friends or used other means to get to and from practice. He'd catch a ride with one of the other players when necessary to make it to games when his mother couldn't take him.

Upset at first, he'd thought of what his sister had done, to begin to understand he wouldn't have been able to visit her if it hadn't been for what she had done. When he was able to fall back asleep, he truly understood the sacrifice she had made for them. It may have sucked, but it was far better than the alternative.

Brad moved across the parking lot, mindful of moving cars and construction crews, as he walked toward the ticket booth. Around him, many other people — mostly women and girls — walked in the same direction, with the same destination.

While the others headed over to form a line or move over to the members' entrance, Brad walked his way over to the grey office building several yards away. Brad questioned if he was doing the right thing, to bring up old wounds, as he pressed the buzzer.

"Yes? What can I do for you Brad?"

Started at first, his nerves on edge; he jumped slightly at the question. "I, uh, I was wondering if I could talk to either Grandmother or Miss Anya?" he asked before the door unlocked allowing him entry inside. After being outside in the bright sunlight, the room appeared dark and he had to wait for his eyes to adjust. Waiting he heard a pleasant voice ask, "Would you like some water, or perhaps a coke, from your long walk Brad?" Anya inquired.

His eyes finally adjusted Brad pulled one of the chairs out from in front of Anya's desk and removed his string bag before he seated himself in front of her. "Water would be fine, Miss Anya. I won't be staying long."

"Oh, so if you didn't come here to enjoy the park, what brings you this far from home then?" Anya asked pleasantly, waiting as Brad quenched his thirst with the water.

Nervous at first, he stalled wondering if he should only to ask, "I was wondering if you could give Melody a message for me," Brad asked between sips.

Anya thought for a moment. "Brad, don't you think Mel would rather hear it from you than from me?"

With a tinge of regret, Brad confessed, "After what I accused her of, I don't think she'll ever speak to me again."

Seated there Anya gave Brad a broad smile as light began to flood into the office room from where a side door burst open. "Maybe I will or maybe I won't, Brad Montgomery," Melody answered in panted breaths as she stepped inside.

Brad quickly rose from his chair to face Melody, his mouth suddenly dry. He stared at the girl, his sister, as she stood in front of him. Her chest was heaving from having had to run to the main office.

Having been caught off guard Brad didn't know where to start. His brain became muddled on what he wanted to say. Taking one hand he took to scratching the back of his head uneasily as Mel walked up to him until the two stood face-to-face. "Uh, Mel… Dad said, he said…" Brad stammered, as he looked down into her hazel green eyes, "if you find you were wrong about something you need to…man up and… "

"You need to go tell that person and admit you were wrong. Either they'll accept your apology or they won't, but you did your part," she finished to Brads relief.

"Uh, yeah… and I was wrong. I didn't know what you did, and I..." Brad never finished as Melody grabbed hold of him, giving him a tight hug. "And I couldn't tell you."

Awkwardly, Brad wrapped his arms around his sister as she said, "Apology accepted, bro."

Brad couldn't help but feel relieved as he hugged Mel back; the weight of a heavy burden seemed to had been lifted from his shoulders. "I missed you, Sis."

Mel's eyes were watering as she reminded him, "I missed you, too, but I'm not your sister anymore, remember?"

"Maybe not to anyone else, but to me, you'll always be my sister, and that’s what counts. I'm sure Dad would be very proud of what you did for me and mom."

Anya cleared her throat, which got Brad's and Mel's attention, and they turned toward her. "I'd sure hate to see you head back home, Brad, on such a beautiful day. Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in going in the park and having some fun with your sister?"

"I can't. I didn't bring any trunks," Brad stammered, only to have Anya toss him a pair as if by magic.

"And money's tight. Mom has to watch where our money goes until she finds a better job."

Mel pulled her brothers arm leading him to the door. "You're not getting off that easy, bro. I can take care of it," Mel said with a giggle.

Anya smiled and nodded, leaving Brad outnumbered and with no choice.

*********************

Brad steeled himself before he headed into the Men's showers. “It’s okay, Brad, if you don’t want to. I understand, really,” Mel stated before she moved next to Anya to let him be the one to decide on whether to go in.

Anya gave Mel a questioning look when Brad took to finally opening the door, letting it close once he stepped inside. "A two-day pass Mel? I know there are a few one-day passes left."

Mel gave Anya a mischievous grin before she replied. "Mom said I could have some friends over for a sleepover, and I really miss him. Besides, he didn't really complain when I asked if he wanted to spend the weekend with us." Mel knew immediately what Anya was even going to say even before she could ask. "And no, I didn't do anything. He took it all on his own."

Satisfied, Anya warned the girl, "Next time, ask Lisa before you just invite someone over kiddo. But it should be okay this time. I don't think Jozef will need to use your spare bedroom for now."

"Yes, ma'am. I'll remember." Mel replied with a pout. "You only changed Jozef. I'm the one who had to deal with his diapers." Mel wrinkled her nose at the memories. "When Jana suggested changing Jozef into a toddler to infiltrate a child smuggling ring, it was pretty embarrassing for him. I felt so sorry for him, I considered making him forget about it." In a low voice, she added, "I should have made Jana take care of her, since Jackie was supposed to be her kid."

"Mel, you volunteered to babysit, so quit complaining," Anya reminded the girl. "Still Grandmother's been pushing me a lot harder than usual with my magic lessons lately. Don't forget to tell Lisa I'll be over Sunday after the park closes to study more of that pendant of yours, understand?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'll remind her. You’re getting better at it, I'm not passing out like before when you try."

Mel glanced at Anya with the impatience of youth. "What's talking so long? He didn't chicken out, did he?"

"Mel," Anya cautioned, "he's just like you. Just be patient."

With a flick of her wrist, Anya produced a white bikini top with black polka dots on it adorned with ruffles. "You know what to tell her," Anya said when Mel took to taking the garment as she handed the top to Mel. "I have to get back to the office while Grandmother's out attending another exposition."

Anya smiled when she listened in on the two. She heard the small squeak Brad emitted, followed by Mel's warning to her sister, "Hurry up, Bridgett, put this on. Grandmother doesn't allow topless sunbathing in the park and Reba, Sheri and Jordan are waiting for us to go on the rides. Natty and her friends wanna race later on. Losers are gonna buy the others ice-cream sodas."

Fini

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just wow!

Rarely have I read such a powerful story. This was really good and the sacrifice of Mel for her family went far beyond just above.
Hugs
Grover

Pretty Powerful Stuff

littlerocksilver's picture

Interesting and very convoluted. Really, quite a piece of work. Great job.

Portia

I told you

elrodw's picture

That this was going to be good. I had the pleasure of helping edit the story, so I saw how this was going. I am very pleased to see this story published. I know the author has more story ideas in store, so I'm looking forward to helping him edit them, if he'll put up with my endless corrections and grammar-Nazi style :) And I've used slight reference to Mel in one of my stories; she and Coach Lisa will be part of the next update of the Bikini Beach Guidelines.

Thanks for contributing to my story universe. Well done. Very well done.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
A. Einstein

Actually

It was two, but I'm nitpicking. :)

As for the grammar-Nazi I believe it was a trade-off for the both of us. You having to put up with my comments and how I sent you updates. You no doubt hoping I knew what I was doing. Some parts came easily for me while others I struggled with.

I can let those that have read the story know that when I first conceived this idea months ago and sent it to Elrod, this was not what I had in mind. The story evolved dramatically from a simple story to this. Certain characters were throwaway and others became second used.

I wish to really thank Elrod for letting me use and I hope expand 'His' characters to his satisfaction. It has been as much a privilege for me as it was for him.

Thank-you Elrod for the kind words. I look forward to decreasing the amount of available red pixel ink in the universe.

Hopefully my stories will not take quite so long as this.

Ibi

Fantastic story!

Really great story thank you very much!

I could say a ton of things about this but one word sums it up

Perfection.

Okay, maybe not perfect, what is? But damned near it.

In some ways they let the bastard get off lightly.

He gets a complete second chance though with severe niceness compulsions. Could make her a potential victim of a shit like he was. Plus will he, now she remember the crap she did and thus possibly regret and atone for it?

It is not punishment nor atonement without memories.

The mother has been restored to who she was, the brother is alive. BUT some of the police and others were so damaged by that misused amulet then may never be fully themselves again.

The brother knows he died in the original timeline plus is separated from his sister, formerly his older brother.

The dad did a good and a bad thing putting that "you're the man now . Take care of them" mantra on the boy AND then giving him that amulet..

BIG Q to be answered in any follow-up or related tale is where was it from.

Also how will Mel adapt? It is clear a full year on she is unhappy or at best has only *come to terms* with being a female for life.

Plus after all she did her family is still a wreck though alive.

She is separated from her birth mom. For the mom to be restored, brother and herself to live she HAD to become a woman. Something she does not want to be. And that cursed or blessed amulet is complicating her life. She is as stuck as the poor girl trapped by a mix of the parks magic and the SRU wizard's spell.

Can she ever be happy?

Though she has her healthy body back and if anything is a better swimmer and diver than before. Clearly no worse.

Perhaps her love of that is a way back to some measure of happiness.

I do use the term a lot but bittersweet fits this tale to a *T*.

In particular when you remember she can NEVER forget what happed. She will always remember the bastard crippling her, imprisoning her and murdering her brother.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Actually

He will remember John. Else why would Anya have him perform an act of charity. When will the spell occur only Anya knows. I cannot phantom a young child being able to perform an act of kindness at such a young age. Maybe when she is older like 5? Helps her mother/father around the house. Lets not worry about that. Lets just say that the more acts of kindness she performs a new personality is created pushing the old Nathan away. She will not have same memory as Melody nor was she meant too.

As for the father telling his son to be the man of the house, recall the conversation between the mother and father. Yes David was the oldest but he was to help his mother out. Be the man and help out with the chores and try not to complain about it. Not everyone will agree, but the father meant no ill will by it. He was military and David knew what his father expected of him when his father was gone.

One misconception I wish to clear up now is how long has passed with Mel. She is at the time of this story 13 years old. It may have been a misunderstanding on my part when I said in the first part of the story where Lisa wished Mel was past the proverbial age of 14 even a little older. Most girls settle down with their emotions around that age up to 15. Mel is in the throes of it at this time. Her body and emotions are in flux. A bad time for her as she and Lisa have to deal with it. Throw in a little magic and let your imagination go.

As for the other questions. Lets find out. ":)

What can I say here?

First, you did a really good job on this whole story, and I mean that. That poor kid went through several kinds of Hell and then some. You had me really hating Nathan once we were told about the things he did to David's family and to Mel. David almost dying was tough, but something he wanted to happen at that point.

It was good seeing that as Mel she worked through things and is at least happy at last. And I'm sure her Dad is proud of her for what she did for the family.

Maggie

Cool!

:} Loved this story!

Vivien

WOW! Without that pendant,

that beast would not have been caught. Too bad so much evil was done before it was caught.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

With or without

With or without the pendant Jozef would have made sure he was caught. Nuff said.

Without the Pendant

Daphne Xu's picture

As far as I can tell, Nathan would not have been able to do as much damage without the pendant. Although I'm pretty sure he would not have had too much trouble persuading the police officers of his side of the story when the officers returned David to him. How much do people really listen to children?

-- Daphne Xu

Depends

Depends on the adult. Many adults have listened to children. We overuse some troupes at times as seen on tv or movies for comical or dramatic purposes and people take it to heart in the real life.

Ibi

She finaly came to terms

Renee_Heart2's picture

With her self. Ayna did a good job of weaving her aura's together. Mel is getting better. David never would have lived if it wasn't for the officer & Ayna those two saved his life & a nice long talk with grand mother & Aynia & his officer friend helped a lot & made up his mind after what they did to Nathan he deserved a lot worse but still Mel did the right thing. Now Mel has a loving mom who is the volunteer diving coach at BB & a loving brother who is biologically her brother but she is being adopted by Lesia & I was having a moment when Mel waited up for her to get home from work & it was VERY sweet & her loving mom told her she appreciated it but she should be in bed & her teddy bear in the military outfit in memory of her dad... that is just so sweet I'm crying now because over it.

Nathan needed to be dealt with & I think that David/Mel did a FANTASTIC JOB when he/she protected his/her friends crippled leg & all it took courage & guts to do it & the medallion was RIPPED from Nathan's neck which left him powerless. Now he gets to enjoy life as a 1 year old toddler remember everything & when he gets older when he thinks of doing a violent or bad thing he wants to have sex as a girl I bet he wind up pregnant before he is 16 again.

Great story nice conclusion look towards more BB stories.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Gread story with a furious

Gread story with a furious ending. I'm kinda sad that Mel didn't get to be a dude, but I guess it's better than dead. Not sure why she left her family though. I didn't really get the reason for that.

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

It hasn't

It hasn't been explained yet. One day it will be.

Great story: My only complaint is this ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

** "Yeah, but she's not my real mom, she's my foster mother." Mel's face turned beet red with shame, her eyes downcast while she scuffed the ground with her foot. "I... uh, I had trouble adapting with my family after I became Melody, and someone I love got hurt, and the only way to fix it was for me to leave, to become an orphan. **

The first time david was melody, her mother Elaine was loving and kind, etc., so what happened the second time to change that, and who was hurt and how? You shouldn't just throw something like that out and then turn to other things and forget it. There should have been some explanation.

BE a lady!

I know

I know its been explained now, but writers have been know to put unexplained sentences in stories to be explained later. Many may not like it but it does give a sense that more happened in the background that the writer knows and not the reader. I won't argue the point as its the writers decision to make.

Ibi