Twice in a Lifetime - 2

Printer-friendly version


Jacki_0_0.jpg
Twice in a
Lifetime
 
an anthology of sequels to
Chances Are

 




From Jacki's Chance

“Jacki…..uh….hon…honey….”

He stumbled over the words. Who calls their son ‘honey?’ But it grabbed him; as strong as anything he had ever felt when it dawned on him that he wasn’t calling his ‘son’ honey, but his daughter. For now there would be stumbles and half-starts. He didn’t know exactly what to do when his kids were born, but he learned… and he’d learn about things that girls like or don’t. He’d learn about how some girls like football; that Jacki would never stop rooting for the “Huskers.” That it was okay to want to dress up one day and wear jeans the next. So he tried...



Grand Island, Nebraska, mid-January…

“Dad, I’ll be alright.” Jacki looked over at her father as he maneuvered the mini-van around the maze of snow-bound cars in the parking lot. John turned his head slightly to speak, but quickly turned his attention back to driving after just barely missing a Camry that was jutting out of a snow bank.

“I’m not so comfortable…honey.”

The words were forced, but not the name. The more John used the endearment, the easier it got. His younger son Jimmy received the ‘brunt’ of his affection now that Jacki was living with Taryn and her mom. Jimmy struggled with the changes in the family, but he had made some great strides and had ‘rejoined’ humanity after a brief trip-up that led to the separation of the two siblings.

While he wouldn’t go so far as to echo his father’s words to Jacki’s face, he had actually gotten to the place of bragging about his sister to his friends. Being predisposed to settling his ‘differences’ with his friends in a somewhat rough manner had earned him a short time of suspension and a hurried appointment with his counselor. Both children had worked out their grief in completely different ways, but at the end of the day the family was once again intact and happily if tentatively stable.

“Listen, Dad…it’s fine. Taryn and Alison agree with me that we have to roll with it, no matter what.”

“I know…I know. It’s just that I didn’t think you’d be stuck with the job as Poster Child for Transgendered Skateboarding.” He resisted the urge to turn to look at Jacki as they just missed hitting the nose of an Audi A4 that was protruding from yet another snow bank.

Things were looking up...or so they thought.


A few months later, the O'Donnell home...

“You take your meds?” Jack asked Jimmy as he walked into the kitchen. Jimmy looked up and frowned.

“Come on, Dad. You ask me that every time, and it’s not fair. I’ve done everything I’m supposed to, and Jacki and I get along just fine.” Jimmy shook his head and glared at the fridge; any eye contact with his dad would likely get involved, and that’s the last thing he needed.

“I’m sorry. Listen. I talked to your sister. She’s got a doctor’s appointment and Taryn can’t get off of work. Do you think you could manage to give her a ride?” Jack immediately regretted the tone and added,

“I’m sorry, Jim… you’ve been doing just great. You didn’t deserve that at all.” He put his hand on Jimmy’s shoulder and Jimmy resisted the typical urge to shrug it off. He turned and looked up at Jack and sighed.

“Daddy… I’m trying as hard as I can…. I don’t know what else to do.”

It was the first time Jimmy had called his father Daddy since he was little, and he was right back in that moment; the little boy seeking his father’s approval. Jim’s eyes widened slightly in recognition as he saw in some small way past the haze of Jimmy’s behavior against his own impatient demands; father and son having a moment that would re-define, or rather, return to the previous definition of their relationship. He kissed the young man on the forehead, surprising them both.


Platte Valley Medical Group, Kearney, Nebraska...

Jacki got into the mini-van and closed the door. She blew out a long breath and turned her face to the window.

“So what did your doctor say? You….” Jimmy was going to make a crude joke about Jacki and her transition, but he thought better of it; more so to avoid any argument since he was convinced that his sister was way too sensitive. Jacki looked at him and sighed.

“What’s wrong…. Br….sis?” He quickly corrected himself; that pesky detail many of us fail to anticipate of how even recently renewed former recalcitrant relatives struggle with pronouns and names. Jacki nodded.

“I’ve…I’ve got to…” It had been no secret that things had gotten more difficult for her over the past several months; tricks and jumps that she would have done with ease only a short time before had become laborious and almost unmanageable. She had barely cracked the top ten on the circuit when inexplicable mistakes began to interfere with her routines; things that most boarders would make adjustments for. The timing seemed to be way off, and even Taryn had noted that she seemed much more tired lately.

“Some blood tests came back, Jim…”

Jacki had never cried much in front of her brother; mostly because of his inability to accept her gender issues, but more recently because she didn’t want to burden him in the midst of his own ‘recovery,’ so to speak. But she began to cry. Jimmy looked out the window; feeling ill-equipped to help his sister. His sister, he thought. It actually became a turning point since it wasn’t his brother acting like a girl anymore but instead it was Jimmy realizing that he had a sister instead of a brother. As hard as it was, considering his own anxiety and fears of being wrong, he turned and faced Jacki. She looked at him, wordlessly begging for some hope…some evidence that things were different. Jimmy leaned close and hugged Jacki; being more of a brother than he had ever been.


The Duplantis home…a few hours later…

“Honey, I’m home!” Jacki said weakly as she walked in with Jimmy trailing. Jimmy was convinced that Taryn hated him, and he feared what her mother Alison thought as well.

“She’s still at work; Carol called in sick.” Alison shouted from the kitchen. A moment later she emerged, sending Jimmy into a panic until he realized she wasn’t wearing her holster. She looked down at her belt and back at Jimmy.

“Jeez, Jim…relax. I’m NOT pissed at you.” To emphasize her words, she stepped closer and drew him into an awkward hug. It was only then that she noticed Jacki’s expression; almost looking like fear and embarrassment mixed together.

“Jacki? What’s wrong? The tests? You’ve got Lyme’s?” Jacki looked at her and frowned, trying hard to hold back the tears. Letting go of Jimmy, she pulled the girl into a motherly embrace as the girl sobbed in her arms.

“OH, dear God…what, honey?” Jacki offered no words other than ‘I’m sorry,’ as if being sick was some sort of disappointment to Alison. Overcompensating will do that, when you’re used to trying hard to please even those folks who love you. Alison continued to hold the girl; tighter in fact. Jacki had become more than just Taryn’s friend. More than a future member of her family, Alison treasured Jacki as if she was one of her own.

“It’s not…they need to keep an eye on her…” Jimmy spoke weakly; yet another needless apologetic tone in a house filled with acceptance and care. Alison turned her head and half-smiled at Jimmy.

“It…she may have…they think she has leukemia.”

The color left Alison’s face and she put her hand to her mouth. Jimmy looked at her and she saw something that neither she nor Jimmy had seen before; tears had welled in his eyes and he bit his lip; he had finally found the strength inside to be the brother he had always been intended to be.

“She didn’t…she was worried that you and Taryn would….” Jimmy wondered even as he spoke where that came from. He touched Alison’s arm and placed his other hand on Jacki’s neck; a kind gesture that was light years away from how he had treated her.

Alison blinked back tears and nodded in acknowledgement; not merely the understanding of the problem all of them faced but also approval of the young man who continued to struggle with his own issues. She smiled even as the tears flowed; her expression telling Jimmy that whatever Jacki faced, she would face it with family…every one of them.


A few hours later...

“You should have told me,” Taryn exclaimed. She scaled the plastic travel mug against the kitchen door; spilling the coffee all over the floor.

“You should have trusted me…I’m not your father and I’m not your brother.” Her anger got in the way of her only for a moment. She turned to Jimmy and shook her head in apology. Jimmy lowered his gaze only a bit while extending a waving hand as if to say he understood. Both he and Jack had made great strides in re-establishing their relationship with Jacki, but the trust came slowly, mirroring how painfully slow their betrayal of Jacki had been. Alison stepped closer to Jimmy and placed her hand on his shoulder in reassurance. She was tempted to correct her daughter, but Taryn’s next words rendered that point moot.

“I…I’m so sorry. I’m being such a bitch when….” She stared into Jacki’s eyes; eyes that understood as well and forgave. Taryn rushed to Jacki and the two held each other; crying the way only two who are so close; sisters and mates in a way.

“We…We’re going to get through this.” Taryn pulled back and faced Jacki, hoping that her words would be borne out. She turned to Alison and smiled weakly, hoping for some glimmer of confidence. Alison nodded and smiled before she gazed upward; her eyes indicating that the source of their hope came from outside themselves. Jimmy nodded as he caught Taryn’s eye. He hoped for deliverance from someplace…someone. He would find someone who was reliable and true and brave and good; that someone was him.


St. Francis Cancer Treatment Center, Grand Island, Nebraska, weeks later…

The tall man smiled at the figure lying on the bed. The girl looked frail; weak and paler than anyone could remember. Her head was closely shorn, with bare spots here and there; she refused to give up what little hair she still had.

“Let’s believe, okay, Jacki?” Melmem Jabbour was confident that the transplant would give the girl a good chance at recovery. He prayed a quick prayer to himself as the girl turned to face him.

“No matter what happens, I’m blessed with a very precious gift, Dr. Jabbour.”

“Jimmy is a good young man. His gift to you will bring you new life; I believe that with all my being.” Jacki nodded but then shook her head.

“You know…. It’s such a blessing that my brother is a match for me. But…” She teared up at the thought even as she smiled.

“It’s Jimmy that’s really my blessing.”


Summer X-Games, 2015, Los Angeles, California

The girl finished her final run and skated off the course, meeting two excited figures. Two minutes later her scores were posted.

“Aw fuck…you were better than that.” Jimmy shook his head. Jacki patted him in consolation.

“Second place to Lizzie Armanto? I can think of only two things I’d rather have than that.” She didn’t bother to finish the sentence, since she walked out arm in arm with Taryn.

“What?” Jimmy asked, completely missing the moment. Taryn turned around and smiled before glancing between Jacki and Jimmy.

“You and me, silly!”

Crisis often brings out examples of character. And almost as frequently points us to the hope we have. Jimmy O’Donnell helped save his sister’s life, and in doing so apprehended that hope and saved his own.

Next: Lara's Awakening

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay...

...I gotta comment!!! The opening paragraph is such a grabber that its hard not to read the rest. I love Drea's writing style. It's never boring and the emotion simply drips off of every word. The only problem is now I have to wait for the next little tidbit. But that's okay. I gotsalotta tissue!!!

Just another Irish...

BRATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

PKB_003b.jpg

Gee, Andrea..., Sniffle...

Ole Ulfson's picture

You sure do make it hard to keep a dry eye.

Beautifully written as always,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I just love how this concluded!

It was awe inspiring how Jimmy come around and was instrumental in saving his Sisters life! And the last scene where Jackie proclaims there's only two things better than second place, priceless! Thank you hon for this. Loving Hugs Talia