A personal history of mutation side story: A.R.N.E.E.'s adventure.

Printer-friendly version

I feel the urge to laugh maniacally as I post this.

A.R.N.E.E (Autonomic Robotic Nanotechnology Experimental Engine) powered up from sleep mode at 7:46:23 am local time on Saturday, October 14th, 2006. Immediately according to programming, it ran its' diagnostic checklist and checked its solar cells. All systems reported green, and the solar cells were fully saturated with morning sunlight.

Next order was to scan it's surroundings. So it did, noting it was outside its' primary users (I.E. masters' window, on the roof of 118 North Cedar, Paris county, Paris. Running a short shakedown of its legs, it then proceeded to walk carefully to the edge of the roof while pirating a quick internet connection through WIFI it downloaded a local aerial view through Google maps, finding that while there were no primary matches to locations it had been programmed to seek out present, there was a suitable secondary location only 3.8214 miles from its' current position.

A large hook suitable for Sword fishing popped from its' housing in ARNEE's posterior, attached to a spool of fishing line designated for similar use. Still devoting most computation cycles to planning its' route, it devoted exactly 4 cycles per second to tamping the hook into the rough surface of the roof tile with a posterior slam (it sat down on it) then tested the hook's dig and the line itself with a tug. Once it was sure the line was secure it jumped, using a hidden razor next to the spool in order to cut it precisely 5.184 feet down, as calculated (so as not to leave a trail readily visible to most humans, as per directive 8).

Its' camera lens (the remains of a Nikon digital camera) and infrared sensor (from a video camera) scanned the world around it for threats, absently (a mere 2 cycles per second) cataloging the material rich environment it had been made to create in. the grass did not interest it at all excepting as a potential obstacle or camouflage, and was dismissed. The wooden fence however, was an immediate obstacle flag. The map suggested...there! to the right, a break in the wall called a 'gate', open, leading to a 'street'. Carefully scanning for humans and threats, once again directive 8, ARNEE made its way out to the sidewalk, finding the even surface to it's liking, it deployed RC car wheels and set speed at a careful 14kph (courtesy of directive 6).

Visual scans did not reveal many humans out at this time, and those that were were behind metal shapes identified as 'cars' and 'trucks'. A possible source for the supplies ARNEE was directed to find, but mobile and too spread out to be of immediate use.

Not having been programmed to avoid any other life form, exactly, pending threat assessment, ARNEE did not, leaving a trail of hissing cats, barking dogs, and spooked squirrels in its' wake as it spun and maneuvered with the precise grace of a racing champion...At least till it met Rex.

Rex was the first unchained dog ARNEE had met, and he stepped in ARNEE's path, a large Rottweiler concerned about the strange thing invading his turf. ARNEE, noting the size, formidable natural weapons, and musculature, decided Rex was a potential threat and at a mere 3 feet away initiated subroutine 1 of directive 8; avoidance.

Displaying more of that amazing control that would make a car proud, ARNEE promptly stopped on a dime (literally...one was there, it noted), executed a straight 90 degree turn to the right into the road, and once again started forward momentum, cycling speed up to 30 kph, or half throttle, it spun on its' axis while keeping forward momentum, to scan behind it.

Rex was of course, following, thinking ARNEE would make either a nice treat, or play partner. Thus began the first real incident in AI/dog relations. It did not take long for the sounds of panting to come into auditory sensor range. Deciding that 30 kph was not fast enough, and based on data accumulated decided it had 122.4 yards before the predator caught up; ARNEE came to the conclusion to tax its' motors and nudged his speed up to 45 kph, resetting scan frequency to avoid any accidents with other moving objects and rejecting the idea of stealth entirely, but keeping to the road in order to further discourage pursuit.

Motorists that morning were treated to the sight of a small powder blue blur, whirring around, under, in some cases jumping on top of their vehicles like a demented figure skater on speed being chased by a large silent rottweiler (Rex had long since given up barking in favor of breathing). The foreign object left a vague spider like impression on the shocked populace, and then in the next second it was gone.

Poor Rex was not overjoyed; He did not have the mobility to skate around the cars, and so lost sight of his new playmate rather quickly. ARNEE on the hand, beeped victory as it skated on. Reconfirming directive 8, he angled off the road into a convenient set of hydrangea bushes. Reconfirming directive 6 brought it's dwindling power reserves to attention; luckily it was 22.438 minutes ahead of schedule in its' assignment, not counting the estimated 3 hours given to locating a suitable location for itself.

This meant of course, that directive 9 could be applied, and ARNEE wasted no time scanning a suitable location to hide and deploy it's solar cells. Luckily no one saw the rose bush in front of the Jones's outlandishly over manicured home magically grow a solar cell array. ARNEE estimated it needed a charge time of roughly 4.23 hours of charging to hit full capacity, but only 42.18 minutes to re reach the point where reserves would be acceptable. It decided on the latter option, as it knew the later the time, the more likely the chance of discovery. It had been programmed so by it's watching of the discovery channel during construction.

Luckily for the canny explorer, none came to disturb its' sleep mode power gathering. Thus at exactly 42.18 minutes later ARNEE chirped awake, took stock again, and once again saw all indicators in the green. Being even more cautious this time, ARNEE peeked around every corner before sprinting to every bit of cover.

A very slow 19.23 minutes later ARNEE was outside his destination with no further mishaps en route. The aptly named Paris junkyard, complete with a mini Eiffel tower out of rusted iron girders. ARNEE might have been surprised that it shared a certain lack of appreciation for the sight; considered an eyesore by the populace at large, all ARNEE saw was a waste of resources.

Unfortunately, to properly use those resources ARNEE had to make it past the rather large and sturdy chain link fence. Motoring around and scanning the obstacle, It detected no convenient holes. Lacking the necessary tools to dig ARNEE decided that even though that digging was the easier option, it would have to cut its way through. Choosing an area of high molecular degradation due to age, which also happened to be rather far from the gate and therefore less visible. ARNEE deployed its' tiny laser, origanally from an old toy and juiced with a small argon chamber to give it the necessary cutting power. A few small cuts and the laser was expended, but the job was complete and ARNEE squeezed through the oblong hole it created, silently creeping on its legs with wheels
retracted, as the terrain was unsuitable.

ARNEE used a combination of directive 8 and 11 to determine the next move. He headed for a nearby rusted hulk of a semi, hiding under it for a moment, sending furtive scans in all directions. After a long moment in which tumbleweeds could drift, had they been so inclined, ARNEE used the left front wheel rim to climb into the engine block.

Finding the near claustrophobic space filled with metal, rubber, plastics, and other wonderful materials, ARNEE settled in to begin phase 2.

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting

Leigh Veritas's picture

I must say, this is a nice side story. I have found the story very entrancing so far. Please I beg you to continue. I am so excited.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain.

Leigh Veritas

What's Arnee up to?

Is he going to build an assault vehicle or something to return to his home planet with?

G

Better. Much better.

Better. Much better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

ARNEE's

little story demands more, please.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

nice one

"ARNEE on the hand, beeped victory as it skated on."
did he beep or maybe beep beep.
good chapter, thanks

Ho boy...

Jamie Lee's picture

How in the world did Min build ARNEE? She was "out of it" when she built it, but placed enough directives within ARNEE's programming to help it go undetected.

What prompted Min to build ARNEE, or should that be who? Hadn't she just manifested? She was not conscious of building ARNEE so knows nothing about it, or where it is.

Unknown to anyone, Min has created something that possesses a great threat to the human race should its programming become scrambled. And no one knows how to shut it down either.

Others have feelings too.