Can I have some Brown Sugar for my Damper? Chapter 8.

Printer-friendly version

Can I have some Brown Sugar for my Damper? Chapter 8.

*Rudy…………

Well here I am at Morgan’s again with my young fella and we’re watching movies as Morgan is cooking up a storm.

Been truthfully ages since me and Sam had something like this other than the odd time that we go over to me mums place.

Oh don’t get me wrong I love my mum to death but she’s my mum and when I go over to her place it’s either me doing stuff for her and all her friends ‘cause she’s got herself a builder t beck an call or she’ll me asking me about me love life or she’ll be trying to set me up.

And I’m real particular now about the women that I like.

I got married pretty young and stuff and Vicky was a right as they say smoking hot girl and we got along great before when we was sweethearts and stuff in school then we moved to Sydney.

I am not bad mouthing the town but we were not the kind of kids used to the fast life and Sydney had, has a fast life. I got through school and got my papers to be a builder and Vicky was into real estate and we did good and we made some decent money until she…well she got into the wrong crowd one that was a whole lot more cultured and exciting that Your’s truly and she and I started having troubles.

And to top it all off we had Sam.

I love my boy I really do but him mom…Well Vicky was so effin disappointed when she found she was pregnant it was like someone took all the light out of her.

To her credit she didn’t think of having an abortion or something like that but that was the nail in our coffin as far as relationships went and our marriage. She had Sam and she hired us a nanny so she had as little to do with him I think as she could and she went a little nuts on the exercise and stuff…but she wasn’t getting rid of the baby weight for me.

No she hooked up with some fella at her office that was one of those blokes with the keen cars and a couple of houses and a boat and she left. She filed for divorce and gave me full custody and stuff too.

Thankfully she didn’t try for support or alimony either it still hurts me to think just how completely she just up and cut me out from my life.

It makes me angry though at the fact that she abandoned Sam…he doesn’t even mention her and she doesn’t even send him a card or nothing at his birthday or even Christmas. It could be that he doesn’t really know or remember her but then again who really knows sometimes what kids think about when it comes to that stuff.

So I moved home here to Brisbane where there’s people I know and family and where all those memories aren’t at.

I know he likes Morgan though, he thinks she’s nice and I do too.

Honestly I’m a bit baffled at the amount that I like her.

Morgan’s in transition which means she was born a guy. It don’t mean she was one inside or in her head I get that much and I’m not prejudiced really there’s all sorts of things in the world we don’t get yet and need to take a longer look at y’know and I’ve nieces and nephews with stuff they’re been born with and I’m not going to fault them for it.

And besides…I’ve known a few and even had one as a neighbor and if you respect people especially some of the trans people and don’t rip them off and just do a good job they’ll share yer name out.

I’ve done a fair amount of work actually in the LGBT community and I’m listed I guess as a friendly builder.

It’s why Auggie had hired me in the first place I imagine after learning about Morgan.

But back to Morgan…

I never thought that I would be interested in a girl like her but…beautiful…she is with these really great breasts that a fella just can’t help but admire on her nice frame. She’s not fat but she’s not thin either and she’s not really obsessed with it either even if she does try and stay in shape.

Blonde hair, glasses and these big puppy dog eyes that just catch you up all mixed in with that sexy and cute french accent and the fact that she’s traveled, and that she’s loved and lost and been hurt.

And even compared to the ones that mum fixes me up with Morgan’s real.

A fella likes real even if she’s in transition.

I can’t help but to smile at here when she brings in the chicken and the fries and she’s got a big bowl of salad on there too all dressed and such. We get all set up and she’s sitting beside me and Sam’s sitting on the floor but using her coffee table to eat his food and he’s looking at the salad a bit dubiously as any young kid might.

He spears a forkful and tries some making that it’s going to be yucky face before he’s even got it in there and he gets the oddest look on his little mug.

“S’good dad!”

I look at Morgan and she smiles. “It’s really coleslaw more than salad I just winged it.”

“Winged it eh.” I’m trying to sound Canadian.

I grab a forkful trying to make sort that I get a good bit of everything that she’s got in it.

Wow it is good and I like my veg just fine but this is cabbage cut really fine and carrot shavings in these long peel and she did the same with small yellow courgette and there’s tart green apple cut into matchsticks there and she’s got some walnuts and pecans in there with some almonds and she’s dresses it with something sweet and tart at the same time.

“Oh…that’s good Morgan what’s the dressing?”

“Just some unsweetened thick yogurt and a teaspoon of ground mustard and a tin of crushed pineapple.”

“That’s it? That’s pretty easy.”

“I don’t use a whole lot of mayo.”

“Fattening?”

“Yeah but not that just a taste thing for me I ate a ton of it as kid the same with ketchup but I don’t eat a lot of it now.”

“I can see that but with me it’s reverse.”

“Reverse?”

“I like stuff my family liked that I hated as a kid.”

She nods.

“I was the same way with some stuff too especially baked beans and stew.”

“You didn’t like beans and stew?”

“We weren’t well off with a bunch of kids and just dad working we ate what we had and a lot of that was what dad bought, soups, stews, baked beans, liver.”

Alright I shudder at the liver. “Now there’s something I never got a taste for liver.”

“Mine’s alright I like it now and then you just have to treat liver like squid or octopus.”

I look at her. “You’re pullin me leg right?”

She has this happy grin. “Nope, you either cook it just quick enough that it’s cooked and tender or you’re cooking it for hours because once you go past that just right point it becomes tough.”

“So you’ve cooked liver then.”

“Parties with Sophie, in Montreal.”

“Oh fancy stuff I suppose.”

She nods. “But the best way to have it I’ve found is in a good deli.”

“Ah, that’s that chopped liver stuff.”

She nods. “A good deli is amazing, it’s one of the little things about Montreal I miss that and the wood fired bagels.”

“That’s all?”

She stops and thinks for a minute and it’s so tempting to reach out and touch her hair and do that brush it behind her glasses thing.

“No, there’s not much else I really miss. Brissie’s got just as much international culture if not more, great wine and cheeses down here and I think I like some of the cheese better actually, beaches, warm weather and friendly people.”

“Was Montreal that bad then?”

“Oh no, it’s a great city but really expensive and the people had their own way about them it’s just Sophie was everywhere, we were everywhere and people we knew and friends and trust me when you’re the one in transition…and you break up suddenly to a lot of people you’re male again…”

“Oh, that had to bite then.”

Morgan nods and gets herself a leg with the thigh on.

“I had to leave and Matt’s will and everything it just seemed right.”

“So you like it here now then.”

She turns and she looks at me and gives me one of those looks that makes a fellow damned glad he’s a man. “I like you Rudy and that makes a lot of a difference.”

I can’t help it I think part of me just fell for her, or fell more. There ain’t a lot or girls willing to say something like that to a guy when they’re not married to him and it’s the first time someone’s said anything like that to me in years.

I’ll tell you it means a lot, it feels so damned good just to be seen. No strutting like a jackanape just…

I lean over and kiss her out of the blue loving the catch in her inhale and the little mmmrph! Of surprise she makes then that slow exhale as she sort of melts some and kisses me back. We break the kiss and we’re both smiling and we’re both blushing though.

No we haven’t kissed much at all.

But I’m really into each time we have.

We end up schooching closer together and sitting hip to hip eating as we watch the movies but we’re sharing and tearing bits of that amazing supper and feeding each other.
I haven’t felt like this around a girl, a woman just having fun since I was a lot younger. Well maybe not that long ago considering but it sure has felt like forever and a day.

Y’know supper, her, Sam just watching DVD’s probably one of the best dates that I’ve ever had even with Sam shushing us and saying “Da…your missing the movie slobber-lockin…”

Slobber-lockin…he must have got that at school.

“Sam we’re guests.”

“Okay…” He’s looking at us and he’s got that look on his face like he’s halfway between happy that we’re…well he’s right I do talk about her a lot. I guess you’d say that I’ve been crushing on her ever since I fed her a bit of scran for breakfast with my hand under the fork and her all shy and mussed up in just an old t-shirt of her brothers and no bra.

Oh right…

It’s a look halfways between yay and ick girls.

Morgan’s smiling too. “Okay, we’re sorry we were just goofing off okay?”

I love that she has that assent on her e’s and the way she says okay. It’s very cute and kind of sexy.

“S’kay old people can have fun too.”

I’m laughing at the not sure what to do or say look on her face when Sam calls us old. At his age fifteen is being old.

I wrap and arm around her waist and lean back into her couch and look at Sam. “Okay, okay start it up all over again and get up here.”

He re-starts the DVD and he climbs up but instead of the other side of me he climbs up to Morgan’s other side and snags the blanket off the end of the couch and settles in snuggling up against her.

I’m as surprised as she is and her eyes are really big when she’s looking at me like is this okay and I smile and nod then mouth…. “if it’s okay with you?”….

Morgan nods and she bites her lower lips and there is this look there on her face that I’ve seen with women who give a shit about their kids and with Mum.

It takes about thirty minutes into the movie before she leans her weight on me and her head on my shoulder and I think we both let out this contented exhale.

We kissed tonight…I mean really kissed…I’d love for this to be more but not too soon…I need to be sure for both of us.

But this, this I’ll take.

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks Dotti, I wanted to get a better take on Rudy.

So I tried doing this up to do that and give the readers a bit of a feel for the guy. I'm glad you liked it but I'm hoping he feels like a real fellow from the area.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey a Proud Big Brother.

Bailey Summers

Slobber-lockin

thats a good one, an very descriptive too.
nice chapter, thanks

So Sweet

joannebarbarella's picture

I think you got treacle instead of brown sugar! But it was really nice and I think there's going to be three happy people in my old home town,

Joanne

Thanks Joanne

I was hoping that I got the flavor better for what a guy from down your way is like and adding to the flavor of the story as well.
*Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

So beautiful... everything

So beautiful... everything about this is worth cherishing. When little Sam snuggles against Morgan I couldn't stop crying. Butterflies are still flogging my tummy at the loveliness of it all.

Great point-of-view from Rudy's perspective. Thanks, Hon.

*Happy teary hugs*
Jenna

Damper's a very good story.

I kind of like the whole starting over and getting there thing of this all.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers