Stan The Man

Printer-friendly version

Lenore was beside herself with worry from that day onward. She loved her husband, but he didn’t understand his son’s limitations. The problems intensified when Stan Sr. showed he had no time to waste teaching his son, he was often frustrated, and he took his frustrations out on Lenore.

 

Stan The Man

By Angel O’Hare

 ©September-2007

 
Being an only child Stan had it all, yes, he had it all!

His father, a big burly man, six-foot-two, eyes of blue, two-hundred and fifty-pounds of solid muscle. Thick black hair with long thick bushy eyebrows, a muscled body so thick with body hair he looked like a black bear wearing swim trunks in the summer. Stan Sr. hated to shave; his face was also covered with a thick black curly beard. Yes, Stan Sr. was a man’s man. He’s a tough, strict, no nonsense person that supervised the heavy equipment operators for the city’s huge landfill and ran the biggest dozer.

Stan Sr. loved his son, Stan “The Man” Jr. Once Jr. was born, Sr. had his son’s life planned out, just as his father had had his life planned out before him. He had visions of his son being the star pitcher and hitter for the Little League, the star quarterback for the schools football team. Yes, Jr. was going to be the star in everything and every sport the city and schools offered.

Sr. just wished he had those opportunities when he was young. His father had planned a different future for him though. His was a future of hard work and learning his father’s trade. School was a necessity that Sr. was forced to attend by law. He never received help with school from his father, his mother filled that role, and thank God, she did!

Stan Senior’s father’s trade was loading boxcars at the railroad stockyards. He was a supervisor, a mean sonofabitch, by everyone’s account. Once Stan Sr. was old enough to walk, his father started training him and strengthening his body.

By the time Stan Sr. was in grade school he was all ready a solid mass of muscle. The one difference from his other two brothers is that Stan Sr. was also smart! The saving grace Stan Sr. was given to him by God. His mother’s constant prayers helped in this, Stan Sr. was the youngest in his family. His mothers last hope for some salvation of her family that was turning meaner by the day!

Stan Sr. had been asked and even begged to join in all the schools sports programs, but his father wouldn’t let him. Instead, he stayed at school just long enough to finish his homework and headed home. Each day was the same until he turned sixteen and could work part time.

His father got him a job in the stockyards. His first job, cleaning out the cattle and horse pens. It was hard work, no time to rest, shovel, rake, hose down the pen and go on to the next one. Day after day, Stan Sr. shoveled shit, made a little money, which his father always kept, and went to school.

Graduation day came and on that fateful day, Stan Sr. changed his life forever. War was waging and he volunteered to be a Marine! His parents signed allowing him to join at seventeen. He went to the recruiting station, took the tests, swore the oath, and was soon on his way to Paris Island for Boot Camp.

He tested out well and was trained to be a heavy equipment operator and maintenance mechanic. He excelled at this and was soon promoted to Corporal and sent overseas to help build firebases turning jungle into fortified fighting positions for artillery bases.

Sr. saw a lot of action and ended up fighting hand to hand several times. Killing others kept him alive, it was a rush he loved to feel! Imagine, being able to kill people legally and being rewarded for it! He earned a few medals, was wounded twice, and finally was sent home.

Mean, hard, cold, a man with a smile that was a warning, not an invitation of friendship. He hated the fact that the war was over and that America withdrew with their tails between their legs. That is how he felt, and he hated all the politicians that made that a fact, it was their fault, not the militaries!

Everything changed once again when he accidentally ran into a tiny slip of a woman barely five-feet tall. Lenore was her name and she giggled as he repeatedly said he was sorry as he lifted her up from the ground like she weighed ounces instead of one-hundred and ten-pounds. What a couple, one huge bear of a man and a tiny slip of a woman.

Stan Sr. Changed that day as did Lenore. Love is a many splendor thing, they say, it is also true when they say opposites attract!
Lenore and Stan Sr. were married without Stan’s father and brothers at the wedding. Stan’s mother was there, crying tears of joy. Where the rest of her son’s were now out of work alcoholics, and her husband was once again doing time in the city jail for drunken/disorderly behavior, Stan Sr. was making it!

They were married at Lenore’s beloved Baptist Church by Pastor John two years after Stan and Lenore met. Stan Sr. had saved and saved, worked and worked, until he could afford a small two bedroom with one bath, house. Their honeymoon was spent in their new home and Stan Jr. was born eight-months later.

A preemie, born one-month too soon, a tiny, sickly, frail, baby. Where as Lenore had her faith and her church, Stan Sr. had his work. Lenore spent her time with the baby, their home, and at church. Stan spent his time working hard, long hours and getting his big promotion.

Once Stan Sr. was promoted to supervisor, he had more free time. He was now on a salary, no longer paid by the hour. He spent that time working on the house, the yard, and with Lenore’s urging, helping at the church. He mowed their lawn, and became their all around handyman. Stan Sr. was waiting for the day his son started walking.

It took Stan Jr. two and a half years before he took his first step. It took another year and six-months before he could walk steadily. At four-years-old, Stan Sr. stepped in to start making his son into what he thought his son should be. This is when the family troubles began.

Lenore was beside herself with worry from that day onward. She loved her husband, but he didn’t understand his son’s limitations. The problems intensified when Stan Sr. showed he had no time to waste teaching his son, he was often frustrated, and he took his frustrations out on Lenore.

Stan Sr. just didn’t understand the physical problems a child born as a preemie went through. Stamina just didn’t exist, muscle control was long to learn, and muscle development was a far distant event for Stan Jr.

Bed wetting, frequent accidents, easy to be injured and become ill. All this proved to be too much for Stan Sr. He altered his plans to include humiliation and physical punishment.
Lenore had had enough one-day, the summer Stan Jr. turned seven, and his father went too far! Lenore was helping set up for a wedding at church. Stan Sr. was painting their house and Stan Jr. was mowing their lawn.

Lenore was called into the office by Pastor John and informed her husband had her son by the hand and parading him through town wearing only a diaper and rubber pants. When Lenore found them, Stan Jr. was practically catatonic, just staring straight ahead. He had belt marks on his legs and back from the whipping his father had given him. He was diapered thickly, and his father had written “PISS-PANT-SISSY” on the back of the rubber pants.

They had a crowd of children around them and they were all teasing Stan Jr. A few of the adults nearby were trying to break the children up, but Stan Sr. told the adults to leave the kids alone.

Lenore jumped out of the car, ran to her son, took him away from her husband, and said.

“This is the last straw you beast! You don’t deserve a son; you don’t deserve anything at all. Keep your precious house, keep your important job, but you won’t keep us. We’re leaving, and I never want to see you again! Go back to war Stan, you’ve always enjoyed killing things. I won’t let you kill us!”

Lenore left right then and moved back in with her parents. Stan rejoined the Marines and did go back to fight. He volunteered for every hazardous mission he could. He earned many medals, many honors, and was sent to teach new recruits. He went from a corporal to staff sergeant, until he went too far and caused the death of three of his new recruits. Sent to the military prison for fifteen-years at hard labor, he was dishonorably discharged and is now a broken man.

Stan Jr. couldn’t escape the constant teasing and humiliation. His grandparents also lived in that town. He lived only to go to school and learn, then to come straight home and stay there. He was a good boy, always attended church, and helped out there when he could.

He prayed with his mother and grandmother everyday and night. Unfortunately, for Stan, he hardly grew at all. His grandfather stopped trying to do the boy things with him, Stan just didn’t like to do those things. His grandfather swore he would get even with Stan Sr. someday. It was Stan Sr. who ruined this child, traumatizing him so severely. Stan Jr. would get so scared he would tremble and lose control of his bladder whenever he even heard a lawn mower. He had to be protected, he had to be shown constant love and be given constant care, or they would lose him.

His grandfather had wanted to surprise him by taking him fishing one day. Once Stan saw the lake and saw the fishing poles come out of the trunk, he lost it and went into a catatonic state. It took Stan six-months to come out of that one and he stayed at the institution for another six-months before he could go home.

Stan’s grandparents and his mother cried for weeks once they found out what Stan had gone through by the hands of his father. We won’t go into that here, it is too ugly and hurtful to write for public consumption. The abuses that boy suffered were extreme. So extreme, his grandfather gave Stan a wide birth and only talked softly and lovingly to the boy. Gentleness and love finally allowed Stan to learn to trust and love his grandfather. That day would always be remembered by Stan and his family.

It was Stan’s thirteenth birthday. His grandfather had wrapped his birthday present in shiny pink paper with little girl dancing ballerinas on it. A big pink satin bow was the finishing touch. Stan opened it eagerly and found the most beautiful frilly apron inside. His grandfather’s smile told him everything as Stan jumped up, ran to his grandfather, jumped into his lap, and gave him a big kiss and a loving hug! Tears of joy were on everyone’s face as were their smiles!

They knew what made this boy happy, they now understood and would help Stan all they could to be that happy person that was buried so deep inside him. As Stan opened his other presents, he cried tears of happiness and acted just like a little girl, squealing and carrying on. Pretty dresses, petticoats, the cutest rumba panties, and diaper pants anyone ever saw! Mary Jane shoes, the list went on, and on, and on!

You see, Stan felt he was such a failure as a little boy, he knew in his heart; his only chance would be to be a good little girl. He had always felt that way, and he told his father once. That’s all it took, his nightmare life got worse and worse from that day onward. His only happiness came when in his mind and heart he became Jennifer, the little girl who could help her mommy and Grandma. He excelled in doing all the things his mommy and Grandma taught him. His Grandpa scared him because he only wanted to do boy things with him. Jennifer wasn’t a boy and never wanted to be one! Being a boy was hurtful and scary! All he could remember about being a boy was pain, humiliation and his daddy made him do things no little boy should ever have to do!

Stan talked in his sleep, which is what gave his family the answers they so desperately sought. They learned “her” name, Jennifer, and they learned what made happiness a way of life for Stan.

Jennifer is eighteen now, still three-feet tall and weighing only thirty pounds. The mind is a powerful thing, and Jennifer had willed what her life would be. She truly believed it with a faith that surpassed any Christian living! Her faith and her belief is what kept her tiny and young. Her operation would be in just a week, and she would become a complete little girl at last.

A few people in that town understood, Jennifer’s family, Pastor John, now retired. A few others as well, the most important now, Lucy Jenkins. Lucy is eighteen just like Jennifer. She is Jennifer’s playmate and Big sister. Lucy loves taking care and playing with Jennifer. Their love is strong and very special.

Jennifer now twenty, and still just as she was before. The difference now is she is living with Lucy. They live right next door to Jennifer’s family in a pink little house. Love and happiness is all you’ll find there. The flowers bloom and stay fresh and beautiful far longer than anyone else’s garden. The birds sing and stay at the feeders, living in the trees nearby. One unexplained event was when Jennifer got a kitten for a present. The kitten remained a kitten and never grew old, just like Jennifer.

Grandpa died when Jennifer was thirty. Grandma died soon after. Mommy lived until Jennifer was fifty, and then she too went to heaven.

Lucy and Jennifer lived long and happily. It was several days of quiet, and one day the birds all gathered on the roof, the fence, the trees, and covered the lawn all singing. They sang from morning until dark. The next day they did the same until a neighbor friend went to investigate.

She found Lucy, Jennifer, and the Kitty seemingly asleep with smiles and happiness written on their faces. What a contrast the sight was. Lucy eighty-four, old wrinkled and happy, while Jennifer looked as she always did, a happy little toddler girl still in diapers, Kitty seemingly asleep resting on Jennifer’s chest, Jennifer had one of her tiny hands resting on Kitty.

Faith they say can move mountains, nothing is impossible if you have THE faith to believe!

Do you?

The end…

Written for Stanmann, I hope you like it!

Huggles
Angel

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stan The Man

I must admit that Angel told a story about me that I find to be very sweet and sentimental. I was raised in the Baptist Church, and I was one of the smartest kids in Sunday School there. Daddy was a World War II Veteran. I do have a sister named Jenny and a niece named Jennifer. Faith-wise, My faith is not quite that strong. But that's alright, I doubt that many people have a faith as strong as Stan The Man. And yes, I do believe in miracles. Yes Angel, my friend, I do indeed like the story. I just was not ready for you to make me the main character. Angel and I were discussing how if I was a character in one of her stories, I would befriend her main character. Thank you Angel for telling a story about me. I am humbled to find that you actually made me the main character.

I wrote this for Stan, it is his to do what he wishes with.

A rule I have, that is, when I write a story for a particular person I send it to them. What they do with it after that is up to them. In this case Stanman wanted it posted here, but I refused and told him if he wanted it posted, then post it himself. Giggle, giggle...

Anyway, he got Sephy to post it for him, but she got the headings a little wrong. I did not contribute this story, Stanman did. Thank him if you like it, he is the one who is sharing it with you.

Thank You Sephy!

Huggles All
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

sweet

this story end up 'sweetly' fine.