A Non Returnable Bracelet

Printer-friendly version


A Non Returnable Bracelet


~o~O~o~

Rights reserved by author permission to post to big Closet only

Notes


I wrestled with a title for this story. It may not be the best title but it works. I also argued with myself over the length of the chapters. finally, I decided to not serialize this epic and post it as one long entry. It may take awhile if you stick with it. 46,000 plus words edited to death by Crusty (not a member here.) I have not written anything for this site in about a year. It is likely the final entry as ideas have dried up there is no other reason. I will be reading others, likely keeping my comments to myself. Thank you for your kind words over the period of my scribbling.

~o~O~o~

ONE

On the final day of school Devon James sat head down avoiding his homeroom teacher’s drone. He knew deep down finals were not good. A bead of sweat clung to his stringy dark brown strands of hair that lay about his collar. He is like his father in that regard though Clayton’s brown locks have receded overtaken by a bald spot. It is another worry for Devon. God, he did not want to be almost bald among the other physical issues he faces. Devon’s grades are bad enough but his immediate worry is the gauntlet awaiting outside. He senses it is almost that time again.

Randy Carson passed him a glance every five minutes or so as if to warn. That wry smile worn by the bully contains a smirk suggesting there will be no safe passage even on the last day of ninth grade. Devon thought, ‘last day of ninth grade hell, if my report card is as bad as I think; I can look forward to another year of this crap with the posse.’ But he had a plan, though without any certainty it will work, it must. It is all he has. The grades were sealed. The envelope in his hands must wait for his parents to open. He is well aware they will be waiting when he arrives home. He is also aware another is in the mail just in case this evidence of failure is somehow lost. Lost is how he felt as Devon is the first out the door.

Like a flash, though that descriptive word falls short of Devon’s rush. Let it suffice to say he went as fast as an overweight short fourteen year old can move. Devon slipped into an unlocked janitor’s closet for immediate sanctuary from what waits outside. Perhaps, it is a quirk of design or a construction joke that a closet has an outside window. Devon did not pause to consider the why of it or did he hesitate to force his girth through a cramped opening. Almost stuck twice he imagined the expense of being found wedged in this window. No excuse could provide a believable explanation. He would become the butt of jokes forever told in South Hills’ school lore. This window faced directly into the woods and that faint path.

His feet hit the ground with a quiet thud almost slipping on the wet grass. Before him, the safety of the trees urged forward motion without a backward glance. Had he looked he would have seen no one is watching. There is never time to look when you are in flight. Devon recalled hearing a quote attributed to an old ball player. Satchel Page supposedly said, “Don’t look back you never know if someone is gaining on you.”

The path, he knew led into a ravine to be followed by a steep climb up to Walnut Street. Once there he could cut cross lots to his back yard on Prospect the next street beyond Walnut. But safety is nearly a mile away. When he gained heavy tree cover Devon walked slowly keeping a cautious eye glancing in every direction watching for the posse. The posse is what he calls Randy and his gang of four devotes. Everyday a new hazing took place in the form of subtle violence presented as teasing, shoving, tripping and threats. Just because, he is short and fat and has a stupid name it is no justification to torment him. ‘Who names their kid after a county in England? Who sticks their kid with a name more often given to girl’s? Did they hate me too? Yeah I know it was handed down by some distant ancestor, but what were they thinking?’

Devon sat on a boulder above the ravine turning the envelope in his hand. ‘I should open it rather than wait for the explosion. At least I will know how bad it is before they do.’ He slowly peeled back the flap being careful not to tear the seal. With horror he viewed three C grades one B and two marked with a large red F. “Shit!” He said aloud while noting the broad script written in red drawn in a black rectangular box at the center of the page. It boldly stated Devon must take summer school to be promoted to tenth grade. “Wonderful, more hell awaits me.” No one heard his muted outburst as he was quite alone in the dense forest, almost.

An old rutted logging road is felt with a thud as Devon’s feet struck the bottom of this narrow swath of forest. He looked in both directions before stepping toward the rise across the lane. His gaze caught a reflection of light from a small rock. Devon picked it up to discover it is not a rock at all. It is a box wrapped in foil or similar substance. About three inches square he nestled the box in his fingers. ‘Light in weight,’ he mused momentarily then dropped it in his book bag suppressing all curiosity. Halfway up the incline he paused for the third time to catch his breath. Poor Devon is vastly out of shape. Forcing himself uphill is an act of great labor. In this location above several large boulders trees took tentative hold forming a dense stand. Devon could not see into the ravine from his safe perch.

Below, a black vehicle is unseen by the boy as it snaked along navigating the old rutted road. It drew to a stop coinciding with Devon cresting the hill. He sat again for a moment to catch his breath. He ignored the no trespassing signs down at the height of land where the old road knifed through a sag in the ridge. They were placed not too far from where the SUV suddenly stopped. Safely on top hidden by big trees he regained his breath then continued home resisting his growing curiosity. He had enough problems to deal with unaware the unnoticed SUV far below compounded those difficulties. He shrugged thinking he heard a vehicle discounting the sound. Nothing less than a tank would attempt driving that road and a tank will generate far more noise. He shrugged dismissively it is nothing to him, so he thought.

Three weeks earlier, Colin Duffy held a bracelet delicately in his large hands. It appeared to be a simple inexpensive adornment found at any cheap mall jewelry counter, one that is worn by young women and teens. It is simple gold band with four fake jewels that changed color depending upon the lighting. The bracelet is anything but that. Colin was aware of everything this object could do. He was highly paid to infiltrate Dale Electronics to secure the prototype now in his grip. ‘Getting it out of here is quite a different task,’ he thought. Duffy knew the bracelet had a tracking device built into it. How to defeat that became his present task. With any project there are failures and design flaws this is what Duffy banked on when he created the substitute.

It took Duffy considerable time to factor a reasonable facsimile in the lab. Nearly perfect the fake bracelet now crafted was switched for the one he held in his hands. He had to remove the tracking device to have any hope of secreting his ill gotten gain out of the building. It was that same tracking device he had placed into the fake. Without any ability to trace the original his employers would reward him lavishly. Three weeks passed before Duffy could complete this task and schedule his drop.

As instructed, the tall solid built man set his package in the arranged location. Duffy prided himself on his creativity. His little box appeared as a rock, a highly reflective rock. It was intended to be there for a few moments. He had worried the glint would attract unwanted attention. Duffy shrugged, ‘this is what the boss wants.’ He turned facing a narrow twisting logging road as instructed he walked down the old road not looking over his shoulder. He could hear the SUV approach from behind. He did not see the man enter the ravine to make the pickup nor did he notice the fat kid.

By mid week Duffy will discover fate had stepped in disrupting his plans. Luck it seems treated Duffy in the same manner as it did Devon. Fate placed Devon in that ravine moments behind the luckless Colin Duffy.

TWO

At the same moment Devon entered his house, Marcus Bailey sat at his desk facing Bob Collins his lead designer. Collins is holding the failed bracelet. “I’m not sure what happened Sir, it worked during initial testing but now nothing,” Collins stated certain his boss will vent blaming the lead technician, meaning him.

A frustrated Bailey nodded knowing his client is not going to be happy. He worried a delay could be fatal. He tried to reason how long it will take to create a replacement. Bailey stared at his designer pressing that very question hoping for a satisfactory answer. Marcus Bailey is not one to accept excuses. When a personal fortune rides on performance excuses are likely to be painful for the presenter. Bailey did not like what he heard from Collins. He did not care to hear the problem is because the DNA was lost somewhere after the transfer. He did not want to accept the DNA simply dissolved. After screaming “We need another sample.” Bailey shook his head clearly agitated adding, “Get Duffy on it.”

Dave Evans second in command looked at Bailey with a dubious gaze. He then passed a sheepish glance toward Collins saying nothing. Evans had always hesitated to challenge his boss, especially when raising questions regarding risks. As he raised the issue he could see Bailey’s blood pressure rise and knew to back off. Dropping his challenge he caved yet one more time by sitting back listening to another rant from Bailey.

Bailey began defending his position by informing his second in command he has no choice. Red faced at this moment, the man insisted repeating they have no choice. He had been warned a third insertion is fatal. Bailey also knew there is no one else. “This is only Duffy’s second insertion.” Bailey still talking pressed forward ignoring Evans as the man shook his head. “You know we need the DNA. Collins here, is going to assign the mission to Duffy.”

Marcus Bailey looked out the window allowing a sigh to escape. Once again he pressed Evans “I know how it is presented has to be creative. Duffy has no idea he is sent back in time. I doubt he will realize it when he is sent back again. He will be busy, too busy to notice. Don’t tell me about the risk. Just see to it that it’s done”

A shaken Evans exited the office behind Collins having heard his instructions knowing he is in too deep. He did not envy Collins who stepped toward the approaching Duffy.

Colin Duffy is a retired black operations specialist who had been recruited by Moss Industries to infiltrate Dale Electronics to secure a prototype; the one he left at the drop off point. When he accepted this assignment he had no idea what this trinket could do. He did not want to know. Duffy is a curious sort and he soon discovered more than he wanted to know. Duffy had his instructions and payment is already made to his offshore account. He presently worries, 'will the experts believe the prototype failed and accept his substitute?' That worry is relieved when Collins exited the boss’ office. The man is visibly upset. The first words uttered by Bob Collins were, “Duffy I have a job for you.”

Duffy knew at once his ruse worked but he grew nervous about being inserted yet one more time. Duffy stalled hoping to delay knowing full well to refuse will raise questions. He knew he had to do this, whatever it is they required of him. Then he will disappear to the islands and the life he deserved. What concerned him about being inserted yet one more time is that damn lump on his back. Duffy accepted it knowing full well he is the one who caused the need to go back.

Three

Mother’s expression betrayed her anger as she viewed her son’s report card. Mrs. James did not notice the dollop of glue expertly placed under the envelope flap to conceal it had been opened. “You know what this means. Summer school for you, your father is going to be upset. Go to your room and don’t come out until he gets home.”

Silently the boy climbed the stairs tossing his book bag into the corner of his room dreading what the old man will say. ‘I hope Randy and his posse won’t be joining me. I do not need that hell though I expect they will.’ He stared out his window waiting as hours passed dreading his dad’s arrival. All too soon he heard the car pull into the driveway and the front door opening. He drew close to his bedroom door opening it crack to hear his parents’ conversation below.

“Joyce this is the last straw, fifty dollars a course and he has to go to Bryant Academy ten miles away.” Mrs. James nodded listening to her husband without interrupting. Clayton continued, “at least he can take the bus. The school agreed to transport since they do not offer summer courses. He has to be there at eight to ride the bus. Classes are nine to noon. I don’t like it any more than you do.” Clayton James took a deep breath he is not done yet. “The costs are coming out of his allowance where is he now?” Mother pointed up to his room as Clay began to ascend the steps.

Clayton James was ready to explode as he ascended the stairs. At the final step Mr. James had gained a measure of control. The pathetic vision of his son stood before him. Devon tried to plead using the lamest excuse Mr. James ever heard. It almost caused the man to laugh in the kid’s face. “Yes you will and the expense will be deducted from your allowance.”

Devon thought he might be able to excuse his grades when he addressed his father. “I’m sorry dad math and history were difficult. I just did not get it, I’ll try harder, I promise.” The whining did little to settle father. This became apparent rather quickly when Devon read his father’s expression. Having to pay for summer classes did not set too well with the kid. Devon’s eyes widened in response to father’s demands. “That means no money all summer.” Devon’s answer did release a stifled laugh no longer contained by dad.

Once regaining his composure Clayton informed Devon, “You are correct son, see you do understand math. Understand this too, if you ace either or both courses I will refund the cost of that course.” The devilish grin on father’s face betrayed the thought there is no danger in that happening. Dad could see Devon blink at the offer. Dad knew full well the impossibility of that task. Clay was never one who took risk. Mr. James is certain he will not be paying fifty or a hundred dollars back to his son. He could not resist issuing another command. “I suggest you study until dinner. Don’t forget school starts on Monday.” Dad closed the door and went downstairs.

Devon, dressed in jeans and a tee felt the heat from the sun beating on the slate roof of his second story bedroom. He quickly changed into a pair of shorts and realized his books were turned in at school today. ‘At least I have an excuse for not studying.’ He sat there staring into a mirror gazing at his reflection. All five-feet-five inches and one-hundred-sixty pounds of flab haunted his vision. He abruptly turned away disgusted with what he saw. It is no wonder he is friendless and the target of every bully in town.

Dinner as expected centered upon admonitions warning strongly suggesting this second chance had better not be wasted. Devon did not want to hear the non stop lecture as he poked at his food. The last thing he wanted was food it seemed to be the source of his anguish. Clay watched his son pick absently at his dinner aimlessly. Clayton’s patience having finally expired, caused him to dispatch Devon to his room. “I think you need to go upstairs and take time to consider your position.”

Devon entered his room happy at least they did not ground him for his only free weekend of the summer. He will have no free time until the end of August. Summer school ends two weeks before the fall term begins. Nine weeks of pure hell, June 17th to August 16th He sat on his bed for several minutes before reaching into his book bag. He was focused on his MP3 player when his fingers touched rock shaped box. He stared at the foil wrapping for a moment before peeling it back. Inside the box he saw a bracelet which he turned in his hands. It was gold in color though he doubted it was real gold. ‘Some cheap alloy,’ he thought. It weighed next to nothing as he turned it around noticing something written on the reverse side. “Trope? What the hell does that mean?”

The simple delicate gold bracelet had four tiny crystals reflecting light. The first three were darker than the fourth appearing lighter in density revealing the same rose color. Devon noticed as he turned the bracelet, first toward then away from the window. The colors appeared to change with each slight turn. Pastel colors morphed from light purple to pinkish with the slightest turn. In every instance three crystals were equal in density while the fourth faded reflecting a lighter hue. ‘Who cares I’m not into bracelets.’ Absently he slipped it onto his wrist where it gripped snuggly. He held his arm out to gaze at it while the reflections appeared to flicker. All at once he felt dizzy, his hands went flush pressed flat against the surface of his bed to support his position while his eyes closed for a few seconds.

When he opened them he saw a girl with sandy hair styled in a pixie cut. He stared at the pretty girl. ‘Not pretty,’ he thought ‘though better than average.’ She was wearing an obvious girl’s tee tucked into denim skirt. Startled, he glanced down to see he is the girl. ‘What the F!’ In near panic he stood staring down at himself. Devon felt taller at least his line of vision seemed higher. Five-feet-seven inches according to the lines carved into his height scale drawn on the door frame. Certainly without using the bathroom scale to prove an answer ‘her’ weight is at least sixty pounds less. Two smallish mounds pressed against the tee obviously belonging to the girl he appeared to be. He quickly pulled off the bracelet falling back onto the bed. When his eyes reopened the old Devon was back.

“Shit, shit, shit what the hell is this thing? Not only did I turn into a babe it changed the clothes I was wearing.” He placed the bracelet into the box burying it at the bottom of his book bag. Devon spent the rest of the evening pacing in his room trying to rationalize what had happened; certain he was in a bad dream. Frantically he changed into his pajamas crawling into bed. When he awoke it came as a start. The girl was back. Devon discovered he is wearing a girl’s sleep shirt of some delicate material. The shirt he felt is made of nylon or satin or something else he knew nothing about. The bracelet is on his wrist. ‘When did I put that on?’ He quickly removed it to discover everything seamlessly changes back to normal. Scared out of his mind he went into the bathroom for his shower.

Devon’s parents kept him busy all weekend with various chores, mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage and of course picking up his room. He was too scared and way too busy to go near that bracelet. Curiosity would not let him forget it but terror kept the thing at bay. At several points over the weekend he wondered what would happen if he showered while wearing the bracelet. Each time that thought arose he blushed purging it out of his mind. Something deep inside told him not to go there.


FOUR

Martha Sanderson sat stiffly as she glared at Marcus Bailey she could barely contain her anger. Her icy stare reflected her fury upon learning of a delay. Martha has little time for delays and counted upon the promised weekend transfer. “What do you mean there is a delay? We both know I do not have much time. You promised me delivery this weekend. I am ready to transfer the five million to your account where is my item?” The elderly matron is eager to secure the youthful body promised to her for the payment made. She stared across the conference table at a rattled Marcus Bailey.

Bailey for his part understood the woman’s anger. He is put off as well. All of his scheming put his career at risk. Everything he carefully planned is suddenly in danger because a trinket had a meltdown; He tried to appease the woman, a woman who could make serious trouble for him. “Martha, please,” Bailey stated in a calm voice. “There is a problem with the sample and we need to get another. It will be ready tomorrow.”

The elderly woman calmed somewhat upon hearing the promise. “You are certain!” Mr. Bailey I do not take broken promises lightly.”

Once again Bailey smiled more as a stall than with any certainty he can deliver, “You know we test these things first to be sure nothing goes wrong. Gloria Marsh will be replaced at the exact point the accident occurred. You will continue her life once the extraction is made. You selected the girl you wanted. You know she dies in a crash. It is a simple matter of removing her after impact and inserting you in a replica of her body made from her DNA. The bracelet restructures your body into a duplicate of hers. It becomes permanent during your transport back in time.”

Martha sweeps a hair from her brow, “What if I choose not to travel back in time? I am not certain I want to become a teenaged girl.” Doubts had begun to manifest within the woman ever since she agreed to this mad scheme. Martha Sanderson is a powerful political player as the chair of the Democratic Party for this state. The reality of becoming a teen subject to parental whims losing her power shakes her. ‘But’ she considered, ‘I gain nearly seventy years and substantial wealth as well.’ She sat back to consider Bailey trying to still her nerves.

Bailey erms, “Martha, without insertion you would only appear to be the girl. The illusion last as long as you wear the bracelet. You will have a problem of identification. You could not use her ID because she will be declared legally dead. You cannot propose to live as a teenager with no support and no ID”. Bailey presses on, “During the insertion process permanence occurs solidifying your new persona. We have no idea what happens with repeated uses by wearing and removing the bracelet. We have a good idea of what happens if you lose the bracelet. No you must go back making it permanent.”

Sanderson blinked, “I understand,” she answers in a demure voice appearing to accept the process. The woman then mutters in a wavering voice, “what if I request a more mature persona?”

Duffy stood in the transport room having completed a briefing of his current assignment. He smiled understanding his ruse had worked. ‘They need another sample of the girl’s DNA meaning they bought my switch.’ It was at that moment he read his text message. The message came from his handler sounding threatening. ‘What do they mean the product was not there?’ Duffy nearly panicked fully aware he placed it at the drop off as instructed. He tensed having confirmed the money had already been transferred to his offshore account, Duffy realized he needed to act quickly employing his backup plan. The plan will have to wait as there is no way out of this mission. The chamber doors are already sealed forcing him to complete this operation. Duffy marveled over how Dale Electronics came up with this method of travel. He is uncomfortable with their insertion process not understanding it. He is certain there is a level of risk he cannot fathom. He shrugged instantly finding himself in a back yard late at night.

Sneaking into the girl’s room to snip a lock of her hair proved ridiculously simple. He was in and out within mere minutes. His problem now is to exit the Dale compound without being detected. He is fully aware his employers will be after him as they do not have a sense of humor. Duffy has made only a few trips into the past having no idea time travel is involved. In each insertion he found himself in a contained isolated place revealing nothing to suggest time travel. All of his missions were for extremely short durations. So far, he has not figured it out. Why should he? Traveling three weeks into the past presents no visible difference from the present.


FIVE

Nathan Moss sat hands clasped together as he regards Benton Kay across his conference table. It is late on the same Saturday night Duffy extracted the DNA delivering it to the Dale compound. “What happened Ben where is the product? Did Duffy double cross us or did your agents rip us off?” Moss did not trust his partner and would not be surprised if Kay himself is involved in a rip off. His steely gaze bore in on his partner waiting for an answer.

Kay cleared his throat, “we are trying to find out. It is not likely our people are lying. They don’t have the stones to do that. It looks like Duffy is pulling a fast one.”

“Just what is it that Dale has?” Moss asked in a grave voice, “Does anyone understand this?”

Kay blinked having gone over this several times still frustrated due to having little information. “All we know for certain is they have a method to clone a person’s DNA and place their clients into it.” He shrugged, “The problem is once it is done there is no trace of the duplicate person wearing the new body. We are lost regarding the process and keep coming up empty trying to find these people. You know Dale has government level security. We were lucky to get Duffy in there. He claims he only knows the damn thing works. They have kept him in the dark as well. Each person has one task not knowing what the other is doing. What do we do with Duffy?”

Moss leaned forward in his chair stroking his chin speaking slowly. “Fortunately we have a back door into his account. The money we sent has been retrieved. Our friend has nowhere to go. We need to impress upon him to deliver the product. Get your people on it. What happens to Duffy is of no consequence as long as we secure the device.”

Kay returned a smile agreeing to pass on his partner’s instructions.


SIX

Duffy had taken only eight or ten steps down the hall after delivering the sample when the lights started blinking. The pulsing barely started when the pa announcement began repeating the same bland warning over and over again. Duffy is used to this bullshit. The facility is in lock down. He quickly rushes to his quarters knowing the security check will occur within minutes. The drone keeps repeating as Duffy reaches his quarters. People were rushing as if being chased. Duffy knew patrol robots armed with lasers will be released into the halls in five minutes. He had never encountered one of them but heard stories about their crippling fire power leaving people disabled for hours, sometimes permanently.

Safely in his room his video screen activated to allow Duffy to report he is inside. A single word flashed ‘confirmed’ on the video screen followed by a loud metallic click. There is nothing he can do but wait it out. Whenever the company initiated a process as they called it everyone is ordered to their quarters. It is usually an hour of sitting in the sparse room without outside contact. There are no windows anywhere in this bunker. Bunker aptly describes the concrete block building where workers are housed. Cell signals and internet access is shut down as is cable TV. Duffy paced back and forth trying to factor a plan to extricate himself from this prison. He had no idea his deposit has been wiped. Duffy did know no one would be leaving this compound tonight. He lay on his bunk brows furrowed with worry.

Martha Sanderson stood beside Marcus Bailey in front of the transport room. She placed a cheap bracelet on her wrist as instructed. The silver haired woman sat in a plastic molded chair. Her eyes scanned the chamber as her nerves began to pulse.

The tech nodded to her with a plastic smile issuing instructions. “When transit is activated you will instantly change into sixteen year old Gloria Marsh. During the transit process the bracelet will evaporate permanently locking you into her replacement body. You may or may not have great detail of her memories.”

The woman stared beginning to waffle her resolution. “What do you mean may or may not have?”

Bailey, who is also present, takes a deep breath. “Generally speaking the new body retains memories from the DNA but not always.” Bailey knew this is a lie but he told it anyway. It relaxes his customers. The man issues a helpful hint or suggestion to assist his victim to cope. “In this case you have a very good almost fail proof backup. You see when you arrive you will be lying on the ground next to a car wreck. Gloria was having sex with her boyfriend Luke Chase in the back seat of his car. A truck plowed into them killing both. We extracted her body allowing you to be placed safely outside. If you cannot access Gloria’s complete memories fake amnesia from the accident until things come back. They always do, sometimes slower than others.”

“You mean you killed a girl to get me this body. I cannot allow that!” She exclaimed showing her shock.

Bailey shakes his head. “We killed no one. This is what happened to the girl three weeks ago. We search news reports finding candidates who had fatal accidents. Our process allows us to copy their DNA so we can replace them. Think of it this way we saved Gloria’s parents considerable anguish from losing a daughter. We are doing a public service. You get a new life, the parents keep their child and we make a profit.”

The woman’s wry smile signals her assent as Bailey reminds her. “All you have to do is wait by the car for the EMTs to get there. If you find you have insufficient memories you can claim the accident caused it. Are you ready?”

Martha nodded as she sat in the chamber. ‘Imagine going from eighty to sixteen and having a prettier body.’

Bailey gave the signal with a slight nod. He watched the new Gloria fade from view. Bailey wasted little time calling Evans, “Meet me in my office for the debriefing.”

Evans and Bailey listened as two agents reported events at the accident scene. Both were satisfied to learn all went well. The extraction of the dead girl had gone as smoothly as in previous operations. She has been processed by the program and there is nothing left to find. Martha Sanderson appeared dazed as projected. The EMTs found her lying by the car where she reported leaving the vehicle to relieve herself seconds before the accident. Bailey laughed when informed EMTs determined she is in shock and took her to the hospital.

The agents trailed the ambulance to discover the prognosis is shock with the girl having little or no recall about the accident. Due to their ability to make these insertions through time travel the events took place three weeks earlier than this debriefing. One of Baileys’ requirements is the agents are to do a follow-up check on the day of the meeting. That meant immediately following the insertion of an hour ago.

It may have been mere minutes ago when Dale Laboratories initiated this process but for the agents it meant three weeks lurking about the plains of Oklahoma. Appearing on the video screen, two nameless agents submitted their report. The lead agent spoke in a clipped official voice.

“Your Gloria is now a resident in Enid, Oklahoma. She appears to be assimilating into the family seamlessly. We followed monitoring at a safe distance. She is good. Your girl leaned heavily on the memory loss charade. You can tell the old biddy was a politician. Heaven help these rubes down here.”

Bailey sat back rocking in his chair brimming with satisfaction mentally counting a few million added to his account. He turned to Evans, “now for our Duffy problem.”


Seven

The Monday morning dread arrived all too soon for Devon as he crawled out of bed at six-thirty. It is one hour an a half before having to present himself at his school to catch the bus. The near mile or more walk likely presented a gauntlet posed by the posse. Father had been clear informing his son dad’s work schedule did not allow time to drive him to school. That is unless he wanted to be dropped off at seven-thirty being forced to wait in front of school for thirty minutes. Thirty minutes of being a standing target did not meet with Devon’s approval. There is no cover there, no coffee shop or store to wait in, only the locked school building and a large track of parking lots. No, he would walk the gauntlet hoping for enough cover along the way.

South Hills middle school sat south of where he lived. It sat in a large complex of parking lots separating it from the high school. Senior high sat further toward the city on the same property next to the football field. There were no houses or stores where he could seek refuge. Devon spent the last year learning every hiding place between school and home. No, the exposed walk is safer than a standing target. He considered waving father off at the front door.

Clayton simply commented, “Well son if you prefer to walk rather than visiting with your friends in front of school it is no skin off my nose.”

Those words from father echoed in Devon’s head as he set out. ‘No skin off my nose? What kind of stupid comment is that?’ Devon questioned to himself as he watched dad leave. He resigned himself to nine weeks of walking the gauntlet in both directions five days a week. For what purpose, do they really think he will manage a crash course of history and math? ‘Fat chance,’ Devon thought as he set foot on the sidewalk book bag dangling from one shoulder. As luck would have it he managed a mere two blocks, perhaps a tenth of a mile before spotting an advanced scout for the posse a block ahead of him. Devon knew the moment the kid confirmed he saw him the rest would be called. He ducked behind a wide tree looking in each direction seeing no one.

Perhaps the kid, Carl Gilbert recognized him and went to tell the others. Devon had no way of knowing he only knew Carl is no longer standing a block away. Devon did not have a lot of time to dally. He could not afford to miss the school bus. His parents would go nuts and if he misses three classes he will be kicked out and there is no refund. Devon wiped his brow trying to figure this out, ‘what to do?’ He dropped his hand to his side accidentally brushing against the lump in his pocket. The bracelet, ‘are you shitting me?’ He pushed that thought from his mind. That is until he looked from behind the tree to see not only Carl walking toward him but he had company.

There are times when desperate circumstances cause panicked solutions. He slid the bracelet over his hand clasping it on his wrist. Within seconds that dizzy feeling reappeared. His eyes blinked then reopened. He felt the cool air against his legs as he looked down to see his now very attractive smooth skin resting below a khaki colored skirt riding at the knees.

Devon stepped out from behind the tree straightening his knit sweater which is opened revealing a blue oxford blouse. Grateful his girl is wearing white sneakers with a pink swoosh rather than some ankle breaking fashion thing. He stepped cautiously forward. There they were Randy and his posse walking toward him. Randy glared at Carl, “Where is he? You said you saw him.”

Carl returned Randy’s glare not the least intimidated. “I don’t know. He must have spotted me.”

They were about to walk past Devon when Randy stopped locking eyes on her. “Hello there,” he says in a sing song voice. “Excuse me but did you see a fat kid a few minutes ago?” It is Randy’s raspy smoker’s voice directed at what he saw as a pretty girl.

Devon continues walking trying to ignore them. A devilish thought strikes causing the girl to stop. Turning back toward Randy, she gives him one of those stares. The one a pretty girl issues to someone regarded as a gnat not worth her trouble. “Fat kid? There was one running toward the ravine a few minutes ago.”

Without another word Devon continues walking toward school leaving the posse who are now running toward the gully. ‘That was too easy. I guess I found a way to safely walk to school.’ The remaining few blocks to school had been trance like. Kids were offering appreciative stares in his direction making him feel uncomfortable. Devon noticed a greater number of students as he neared the bus. Most of them were guys he knew from walking the halls at school. None of them had as much as spoken to him. Now they were all stealing glances and all smiling. Devon’s eyes diverted to his wrist noticing a delicate gold watch and the bracelet which gave off a pinkish reflection from the stones. ‘Where did that watch come from? I have to remove this bracelet but there are too many people watching.’

Devon found himself standing in a line as the bus monitor began checking passes. He is standing in line not on purpose it is because the rush of students toward the bus pushed Devon along. His goal intended to find a tree, out building or any secluded spot to remove the bracelet. He could not extricate himself from the push of the crowd. Forced to enter the bus in his girl disguise Devon quickly found an empty pair of seats. Whenever riding this glorified can known as a school bus, Devon sought out the seat opposite the driver. That spot was occupied forcing the boy to find an empty pair of seats in the back. He sat in the aisle seat not wishing to be trapped next to the window. That is not a good place.

Almost at once a girl he did not know sat next to him. “Hi I’m Pat Clancy, new here what about you?”

Devon shrugged upon hearing new here and blurted without thinking, “Devon James.” It is a good thing Devon’s voice is soft as no one else heard. ‘Shit what did I just do? Everybody in school knows Devon the fat blimp. At least Pat is new here, what am I going to do now?’

“Nice to meet you Dev, we just moved to North Ridge and I have to take summer classes to catch up. What about you?”

“It is pretty much the same thing. I have to raise my grade in two classes or stay behind.” Devon answered wondering where his comfort level is coming from. He is never relaxed speaking with girls, especially pretty ones. Come to think of it no girl ever talks to him.

Pat giggled, “Well we seem to be in the same boat.”

Soon the bus stopped and the driver called out “Bryant School, all out for Bryant. The next stop is Covington School.”

Only a few kids exited with Pat and Devon. The boy did not know any of the kids who got off. Devon says to Pat, “I don’t know any of these kids.”

Pat answers, “They are Bryant kids taking advanced programs. The kids who stayed are going to another school. It seems you are the only one from South who got sent to Bryant.”

Devon glanced around seemingly to be looking for something. Devon thought, ‘I need to find a quiet corner to change back to me.’

Before Devon could spot a suitable place Pat spoke. “Dev I know what you are thinking.”

Startled, Devon turned to face Pat, “What?” His thoughts were, ‘look at this place, preppy central. Geeze it looks like something out of the Hamptons or New England old money. I did not think I would be going to prep school.’

Pat reads his expression, “I told you I know what you were thinking. Don’t look so shocked, it is a prep school.”

The pair followed a slate walkway across an expansive lawn. The boy scanned with his eyes discovering hundreds of places where he could change. Before Devon could react the flow of the crowd once again pushed them forward. It did not help that Pat seemed attached to his hip. Kids were being dropped by private cars rather than busses. He found himself nudged too close to the entrance where a crowd gathered. A young man sat at a desk with stacks of papers. He looked at two girls now pressed to his desk and questioned Pat and Devon. “Do you have your acceptance papers?”

Pat and Devon both nodded as Pat handed over an index sized card while Devon fished in the book bag. “Right here,” Devon offered.

“I’m Eric, one of the proctors.” He glanced down at the cards the girls produced. “I will assign both of you to Reagan Murphy. She is really cool, you will like her.” He signaled to a tall, slender young woman most likely a college student.

The woman approached with a smile. Eric handed the cards off to her, “This is Pat and Devon I’m sure you can guide them through the process.”

Reagan smiled, “Certainly, step this way girls.” Pat followed behind Reagan as Devon’s eyes searched desperately for somewhere, anywhere to hide. Reagan turned to Devon, “A shy one,” the proctor giggled. “I don’t bite really.” She points to an alcove with wing chairs. “We can sit here for a minute.”

Both girls sat facing Reagan who reported. “There are only fifty kids allowed in the summer class and there are ten of us proctors. We each get five. I already met with my other three girls so let me explain how this works. Bryant does not allow failure. In addition to your classes the Academy has assigned me to tutor you if needed. There is a test every Thursday and your scores are mailed to your parents. They should arrive on Saturday. I get a copy as well. If any of my five students score lower than a B I go to your house and tutor you to get the grade up.”

Devon nearly panicked. Not only did they think he is girl the shit will hit the fan if this woman shows up at his house. “Tutor, are you serious?” Devon blurts in a squeaky voice.

Reagan smiles while nodding. “Yes we want you to be assured no stone is left unturned to guarantee you will be successful. Bryant students turn out to be the best in the country. We have had corporate CEOs, Presidents and Supreme Court Justices among our alumni.”

Pat appeared almost giddy while Devon squirmed trying to hold in an impending melt down. Reagan went on. “Class size is very small on purpose. All the kids get individual attention.”

The college girl led Pat and Devon down an impressively appointed hallway to a line of doors. She pointed to her left, “Today classes are shortened to allow for introductions. Pat this is your Advanced Literature classroom with Professor Caldwell. You are taking placement courses for Bryant so you can attend here in the fall, correct?”

Pat nodded with a blush. Reagan points to the opposing door, “Devon, Professor Wilkins awaits you in Math class. I will catch up with you before the next class.”

Both girls nodded turning to their separate rooms. Devon balked still hoping to find a place out of sight to take off the bracelet. Reagan watched motioning Devon to go in, what else could he do? The room was unlike any class room he had ever seen. Walls were paneled in rich mahogany with bright yellow draperies tied back against multiple two story ornate windows. Professor Wilkins stood before an elegant desk fronting the most unusual row of desk and chairs. Not only were the desk screaming affluence the chairs were padded and appeared to be covered with real leather. Devon sat in a quiet corner glancing around at other students already assembled. “You must be Devon,” the Professor said in a cheerful but quiet voice. “Come closer, don’t sit back there.”

It was then Devon noticed only five other students were in the room. ‘Shit, only six of us, how in hell can I hide for an hour and a half when there are only six of us?'


Eight

Marcus Bailey sat in his office ready for the weekly Monday morning meeting. He is more than pleased with the weekend’s profitable transaction. He rocked back with a satisfied smile facing his partner in crime. “Evans, how many clients are waiting placement?”

Bob Evans having counted his share of their enterprise appeared cautious. “We have four but still have not located enough products to satisfy the need. We are severely hampered by limitations of which you are well aware. The window of opportunity is very narrow as you well know.”

Bailey leaned forward striking a conspiratorial pose. “Yes the three week limit is too restrictive.”

Nodding, Evans stood walking toward the window gazing at the forest beyond. “We still do not fully understand how these bracelets work and why we can only go three weeks into the past.”

“Much less understand why the future is blocked to us, we cannot go forward at all.” Bailey added.

Evans returned to his seat. “Perhaps it is because the future has not been written yet. What do we do now?”

After several minutes of silence Bailey finally spoke. “I would like to know what happened to that bracelet causing it to suddenly stop working. Then there is Duffy, he has been acting strange like he is up to something. What I want you to do is set up a meeting with Collins to discuss the bracelet. I want to know what he found and keep Duffy busy. Send him back for more samples; there is that college girl who dies of an overdose. One well heeled client may be interested in obtaining that persona.”

Evans smiles presenting a knowing stare, “The pregnant one, who in hell wants that?”

Bailey laughs, “I am thinking of Rossi he is always trying to negotiate a discount. When you buy on the cheap you can’t expect perfection.”

But Rossi is a guy,” Evans responds.

Still laughing Bailey bobs his head up and down agreeing, “True and not a nice guy at that. If we pull a game on him it will have to be our farewell job. There is enough in the offshore accounts to support our future selves. Send Duffy out to secure her DNA, just in case.”


Nine

Devon barely settled at her desk when Professor Wilkins began passing out a stack of papers to each student. Each packet contained ten pages stapled together. Devon’s eyes flashed realizing, ‘it’s a test!’ It appeared to Devon to be evil. It increased his discomfort to notice no one else seemed concerned. The three boys in the class seemed to be more interested in Devon as their gaze had settled upon her. Their gaze is one appearing to be fixed.

Wilkins displayed an evil grin as he spoke following his cough designed to distract the boys from Devon. “This is not really a test. I call it information gathering to help me focus on your abilities. I can then assist you in areas where you need the most help. Once you complete the assignment place it on my desk then you can go to the student lounge two doors down the hall on the right. I will come get you when everyone has completed their sheets. Go nowhere other than the lounge.”

Devon began focused with dread on those terrible pages. He did not hear the Professor whisper in Clay Bradley’s ear.

Wilkins had watched a nervous girl shuffling the papers he passed to the students. He had been watching Clay Bradley’s shameless leer. Not being able to resist Wilkins bent to the boy’s ear. “Son I know she is quite fetching. Do yourself a favor don’t be so obvious.” The professor grinned as beads of sweat rose on the poor boy’s brow. The other two young men received a silent warning from Wilkins’ gaze.

Math class ends at ten twenty allowing Devon a mere ten minutes to find Reagan and his next classroom. He glanced toward a clock, ‘It is only nine thirty you gotta be kidding me.’ Lowering his eyes toward the still unanswered first problem he squirmed. ‘This may as well be Greek. I do not even recognize these strange formulas. Shit, shit ,shit!’ As in a haze he began to scribble answers not understanding a thing he wrote. After an eternity of severe angst Devon folded his papers and walked to the front of the room.

Professor Wilkins looked up then simply pointed to his desk uttering one very quiet, “Done?” His wry smile is off putting as Devon dropped the assignment onto the desk quietly backing off with a nod. “Impressive,” Wilkins commented. “You may go to the lounge. Be back at ten fifteen.” Devon failed to notice the other students glance up from their papers as he walked out.

Reagan stood in the hall waiting as Devon exited the classroom. The redheaded proctor raised a brow of surprise upon seeing Devon. Before she could comment a door opened behind Reagan. She turned to see Pat Clancy. “Hmm,” she clears her throat before speaking, “Ms. Clancy and Ms. James so soon? I should not be surprised I guessed you two were whiz kids.” Before either could respond Reagan ushered them to the lounge.

It was at the moment Pat appeared that Devon noticed the time. ‘Nine forty-five are you kidding me. Fifteen minutes to answer every question wrong? They are going to throw me out of here.’ Devon knew at this point of the game the uselessness of trying to locate a quiet corner to ditch the bracelet. It is not due to a lack of having a single moment alone in his girl persona he realized. ‘Shit how could I possibly explain showing up as a fat butterball of a boy? I am stuck going to school like this everyday.’ His brows felt like they curled noticeably when his further thoughts emitted, ‘not to worry they are about to throw me out.’

The lounge did not escape the elaborate appointments that every other room in this building enjoyed. Upon the walls instead of polished wood paneling they were pained in warm colors. In addition the walls are adorned by elegant landscapes and sculptures. Clearly, the students here were not cut from the same rough out of control louts in his regular school. Devon had the impression this room is a combination of library and social meeting place where the elite academic students gathered. Stiffly, he sat in a wing chair facing the proctor and Pat who appeared giddy.

“Tell me Patty, do they call you Patty?” Reagan asked the girl from North Ridge.

Pat blushed as she answered Reagan’s question, “Just Pat and never Patricia. They only use that when I’m in trouble which is often.” She giggled passing a knowing glance at Devon before adding, “Some call me Trish.”

Reagan continued, “What did Professor Caldwell have you do?”

Trish blinked, “Write a page of descriptive prose explaining what I saw in the classroom. She wanted to determine our writing capability. It was simple really.”

Turning to Devon, Reagan spoke in a soft voice. “I know what Wilkins does. He gives you that God awful math test that drives kids nuts. I remember taking it and I hated it. In fact I did not finish it, ran out of time. You did it in fifteen minutes? Don’t you dare tell me you turned in blank sheets. You are dead if you did that.” Reagan’s gaze almost cut through a terrified Devon.

The poor girl struggled to speak. But speak Devon did, it seems as a girl Devon found a voice. “Worse I answered every question without a clue guessing I got everyone wrong.”

Reagan lowered herself into a seat next to Devon. “I bet you did fine. If not I will be by one evening this week to help you at home.”

Pat whispered in Devon’s ear, “Give me your cell number so I can call you tonight.”

Devon flushed; Pat is the first person to ever ask for his now her number. In fact Devon did not know the number. No one ever called him before. “When we get outside, on the bus,” he replied stalling. The poor kid at least knew how to look up the number. But he could not do it in front of somebody.

Suddenly they could hear a bell ringing inside this room. “That is your signal to go back to class,” Reagan stated.

‘To get reamed out by Wilkins,’ Devon thought.


Ten

That same Monday morning Devon suffered through his fantastic nightmare at prep school Duffy is aroused by a loud knocking on his door. Without waiting for a response a loud click is heard as the door opened. Two burly guards stood in the entry. “Duffy get up you have business needing your attention.”

Duffy arose with a start, ‘are they onto the bracelet?’ Before he could gain his senses a guard replied. “The medics sent us. It is time for your physical checkup.”

Duffy relaxed understanding at once they had another mission for him. For some unexplained reason they insisted upon a physical before they zapped him somewhere. Relieved, he simply nodded. Guard number two maintained his no nonsense demeanor. “Hurry up, we will wait but not for long.”

Colin shuffled into the shower not arguing understanding these military types have no patience. Stanfield methodically explored Duffy’s cyst asking carefully worded questions. If Duffy sensed any concern he did not betray this information to the doctor. In Duffy’s business trust is not a common item.

Following Duffy’s demanding physical three men sit at a conference table. Murray Stanfield met with Bailey and Evans. Stanfield is the lead doctor at Dale Laboratories. He was summoned to discuss Bailey’s issues with the insertions. He did not care about those who died; he worried about the impact on the project. Bailey opened with his most grave concern. “Murray, Dave tells me a third insertion is fatal and we cannot use Duffy for anymore collections. What is your position on that?”

Stanfield struck a thoughtful pose. “Dave is partially correct meaning a third insertion could be risky. My studies suggest that is not a given.”

Evans quickly jumped in defending his belief. “Wilsey died after the third insertion are you denying that?”

Stanfield defended quickly with a certain answer. “Calm down Dave. We have made several discoveries after reviewing the coroner’s report. As you know a cyst develops the first time a person is inserted. It appears to be benign, at first. The cyst appears approximately one centimeter in length and with each insertion a centimeter is added. At ten centimeters a toxic fluid is released into the system proving fatal. Prior to reaching maturity there is no outward evidence a toxin exist. In Wilsey’s case the growth quadrupled with each insertion. This event has not occurred with any other explorer. That is why we insist on physicals before inserting our agents.”

Evans continues expressing his concern, “You have no idea what causes this?”

Stanfield shakes his head. “I cannot assure you that sudden explosive growth will not occur as a random event. I can only say it has not happened to anyone else. I tend to accept Wilsey’s is an isolated event. We may never know the cause or origin of the toxin. What we do know is it is lethal. We cannot allow what we have learned to leak out. That is until our science is well secure and we have answers. We know others are curious and are trying to infiltrate this organization.”

Bailey excused the doctor after reviewing Duffy’s latest physical. Once alone with Evans, “I suggest you bring in Mr. Duffy. We will discuss the bracelet issue after we insert him.”

Meanwhile at Moss headquarters Nathan Moss spoke to Benton Kay. “Ben, sources inform me Dale has locked the compound down. Transmissions in and out are blocked. We cannot contact Duffy and have no idea what they are doing.”

Nathan raises a hopeful countenance. “Do you think they are onto him?”

Ben considers for a moment. “They could have intercepted his drop and sanctioned him when he returned. That is highly likely because only minutes lapsed between the time he said he secreted the product and our people arrived. If they were waiting it would explain everything.”

Moss sits back, “then we will not have to deal with Duffy. Dale will eliminate our problem for us. On the other hand if Duffy shows himself are your people ready to end this?”

Ben nodded, “Duffy will not know what hit him.”

Once again Duffy finds himself in the transmission room to quickly experience the now familiar near blackout felt during previous missions. His eyes open to find himself in a long hallway aligned with drab pea green walls. ‘Typical hospital setting,’ he thought. ‘Now to find Ms. Hopkins room and get this over with.’ Duffy glanced at the rather attractive young woman who had tubes sticking into every orifice. ‘Pity so pretty and so screwed up, why would a lovely girl like this want to off herself?’ He asked before shrugging. Duffy simply gazed at the honey blond perhaps no more than twenty-one, perhaps less. He did not know nor did he truly care. His was simply a reaction to her plight. ‘Such a waste.’ Duffy quietly secured a lock of her hair and backed out into an isolated hallway. He checked his account to make sure all is secure for his getaway whenever he could exit the compound.

Startled, Duffy discovered Moss had withdrawn his payment. Furiously he texted Moss again, “What do you think you are doing? I provided the product do you think you can get away with a double cross?”

Duffy waited for an answer that did not come. An hour later without a reply from Moss he signaled Dale of his success. Within a flash he found himself inside Dale Laboratory’s science fiction chamber. Instead of returning to his quarters as is the custom Dr. Stanfield intercepted him for yet another physical. It should have warned Duffy there is something beyond Moss to worry about.

Moss froze reading Duffy’s text. He turned to Evans showing him the message. “It seems we were correct. Duffy believes we have the product. That means Dale intercepted it and is onto him. I doubt we have to worry about Duffy and his threats. Dale will clean it up for us. The question becomes how do we obtain the object?”

Evans appeared less certain than his partner. “Duffy is resourceful and if he gets out you have a lot to worry about.”

Dale blinked, “You better follow through with the sanction to be sure.”


Eleven

Devon filed into Professor Wilkins’ classroom behind the six other students quietly finding his seat. He just sat down as the class learned they were being dismissed early. Devon relaxed suspecting he could hide out in the lounge before the next class. The students all stood in a rush for the door when Devon heard a loud cough from the direction of the Professor’s desk. “Devon, may I have a word? I found your results quite illuminating.”

Frozen in place, Devon thought, ‘time to get bounced. Mom and Dad are going to freak.’ The girl persona he presented turned to face Wilkins exuding a fearful expression. Devon did not have long to wait as Wilkins pressed forward. “Young lady can you possibly explain the caliber of the work you turned in this morning? Your math performance of the recent school year indicates a clear lack of understanding. Please enlighten me how it is a young lady can flunk elementary ninth grade math. Then score one hundred percent on my multi year advance math quiz. Please I am more than curious.”

Devon cannot possibly answer this question. ‘What the,’ is all she can muster in her head. She has no idea, not a clue. There are times when answers appear from out of the blue. It happens on rare occasions when a confluence gathers forming a perfect storm. Devon stalled trying to create a fantastic lie, some compelling rational to explain the unfathomable. Without warning her science fiction bracelet manufactured brain kicked into action. The Girl she mimics has an IQ of 190 plus. Poor Devon is completely clueless about any of this. She only knows she is about to be thoroughly reamed out. Then the words flowed out of her mouth while she had no control over them. Fascinated Devon listened to herself. “Sir I am embarrassed to admit I suffered a full year of torment at the hands of bullies. If I passed a test or acted smarter than them I was beaten up. No one would believe me so I stopped complaining and acted stupid. It kept me alive sir, please believe me.”

Wilkins brows narrowed upon hearing Devon’s answer. He processed the story accepting it as his opinion of South Hills Schools made the claim easy to believe. “It is unfortunate to hear that Miss James but it does not surprise me. I look forward to having you in my class. There is nothing to fear in this school. Hurry onto your next class and I will see you tomorrow.”

Devon exited the room stunned by this event. The poor kid is in shock over the story he heard from his own mouth. The meeting with the professor ate up the free time he anticipated. His shock is still evident. He almost did not see Reagan who waited in the hall. She pointed to the hallway on the left. “Your History class is the first door on the right around the corner. Professor Jacobs is her name. Hurry now I will see you tomorrow.”


Twelve

On that first day of summer school as Devon entered History Class Bob Collins set the failed bracelet on the table. He had worked on this all day beginning at six this morning. Bailey insisted and finally he had an answer one Bailey will not like. At ten thirty he buzzed his boss then rushed to the conference room. Evans and Bailey waited anxiously as Collins entered the room. “What did you find Collins; we have a busy day today.” Bailey’s gruff voice demanded as Collins pulled out a chair to sit.

The bracelet almost spun as he tossed it onto the table with a metallic clanking. The miniature row of crystals was faded presenting no color what so ever. The plain glass like chips appeared lifeless and dull. “It appears to be a result of a faulty cadmium battery.” Collins words hung like a dark cloud.

Two alpha males that sat across the table raised their brows in unison. They both regurgitated a single word they heard “Battery?”

Collins smiles seemingly surprised the brain trust were unaware a battery powers the bracelet. “Yes, battery,” he answered. “Everything needs a power source. It appears a faulty battery caused the filament connecting the crystals to burn out. Without a connection the DNA could not be injected into the wearer’s system. Without power to hold it the DNA dissipated. When the filament broke power was lost to the crystals. Hence the unit failed. If someone gets their hands on this they will be able to discover the process. I suggest you recycle it at once.”

Bailey turns the bracelet in his fingers flipping it back to Collins. He points to a unit in the corner. “Do it now while we watch. There is no point to delay. We will serve as witness you have disposed of it.”

Collins nodded inserting the bracelet into a crusher.

Marcus Bailey wasted no time as he vented. “You are telling me this scientific marvel depends on a freaking battery.” Bailey appeared near furious upon receiving this information.

Collins contained the urge to laugh as he forced out an answer. “Sir, the bracelet is a portable unit of course it needs a self contained power source. The process upon first use injects a portion of the carried DNA into the users system. It is the crystals that initiate change. That is why when removing the bracelet the tester changes back to their real self. The DNA is released in a similar process employed by those time capsule medications. Watch the crystals each one left to right fades in color intensity as the DNA portion it contains is dispensed. If someone were to repeatedly use the bracelet eventually the change becomes permanent. When you insert someone the system injects all four units at once. You have instant permanence and a useless bracelet. The design protects against having more than one replacement appearing for the same person.”

Evans presses Collins, “What you are saying is repeated testing weakens the dosage.”

Collins nods, “Yes a single test or two present no danger to the tester. He gets only enough DNA to create the illusion of the new persona. However, if all four crystals do not light up there is not enough DNA to create a permanent change. That is why we limit testing for each unit. At this time we only have one active unit. There is a girl lying in a coma at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. I take it I will be needed for an insertion soon?”

Bailey took a breath issuing a doubtful expression. “We are not sure about that, the customer is hesitant expressing doubts.”

Collins nodded, “I will be in my lab if you need me. There is a corporate meeting next month and they will have questions.”

When Collins exited closing the heavy oaken door behind him, Evans exhaled slowly. “No worries about the bracelet it is simply a dud. What about corporate? You have yet to advise them the process works. Isn’t it dangerous to keep them in the dark? We have had five insertions, all successful and you have not secured approval to advance the program. You have not informed corporate of the successful insertions.”

Bailey slams his fists against the table nearly exploding. “Evans your account in the islands presently holds twenty million dollars as does mine. Do you really think the government will be happy if they discover our enterprise? Of course, I have not told corporate.”

Evans blinks, “I hope you have a plan.”

Bailey laughs, “Our friend Collins just explained how with the bracelets we can avoid using the insertion process. That means there will be no record of our change. We have work to do my friend and only a mere month to complete it.”


Thirteen

Devon exited Professor Jacobs’ class followed by five other students to see Pat standing in the hall. Pat called to Devon. “They let you out early as well, how did it go?”

The new girl is caught again as he hoped to avoid Patty. The transformed boy had no delusions of changing back as he knew full well the female Devon must ride the bus home. The female Devon will have to reappear at school again tomorrow. Devon simply felt ultra strange enjoying the company of a pretty girl while wearing a skirt himself. Devon instantly liked Pat Clancy who gave every indication she liked Devon. ‘How can I have a friend like Trish when she thinks I am somebody else?’ The girl’s question, how did it go, hung in the air as Devon’s thoughts occupied his mind. The blank stare facing him appeared to be about to repeat that question. Devon suddenly answered, “It was ok. I think I will be able to deal with it. Hey,” changing the subject, “Don’t you think Reagan is cool?”

Pat grabbed Devon’s hand squeezing it, “Yeah let’s sit outside and wait for the bus. Call me Trish that is what friends call me.”

The two sat on the bench chatting while Devon’s eyes scanned the crowd of mulling students. He noticed there is no sign of his tormentor or the posse. ‘Do they even have summer school? It is not possible they passed.’ Devon is jarred back to the present by Pat.

“Looking for someone?” Trish asked breaking Devon’s reverie.

“I’m just wondering why I do not see anyone from school. I could not have been the only dummy who flunked.” Devon answered the girl.

Trish laughed poking Devon in a teasing fashion. “Reagan told me this school only takes a few students. But you knew that. Most of the kids were sent to Boston Harbor or Covington. I guess you were the only one taken from your school.” Trish grins adding, “This place only takes the best after all.”

Both girls laughed enjoying the idea they came out ahead. A green SUV pulled up to the curb with its horn blowing. “That’s my mom,” Trish blurts. “She said she was going to pick me up, come on.” She grabs Devon’s hand pulling her.

Devon’s feet suddenly are jerked onto the ground as she is literally pulled toward the SUV. Panic begins to set in as she notices a stream of students boarding the bus. Devon blurts, “My bus it getting ready to leave.”

Trish still holding Devon’s arm eggs her friend on. “Come on silly mom will drop you. We live in North Ridge it is a few miles beyond your school.”

Before Devon can respond Trish fires off. “Mom this is my friend Devon can you drop her off at South Hills Middle School? It is on the way.” Trish points to the now moving school bus. “I made her miss the bus.”

An attractive brunette sat behind the wheel turning to face her daughter. Devon noticed very pretty green eyes and a pleasant smile as the woman answered. “Devon is such a pretty name. Do you live near the school?”

Devon manages to weakly answer, “Not to far it is only several blocks.”

“Several blocks from the school you say, what street do you live on?” Mrs. Clancy asked the girl.

Devon freezes thinking, ‘I can’t go home like this.’ “Uh street, you don’t have to do that the school is close enough and it is on your way.”

Mrs. Clancy pulled from the curb and drove slowly away from the school. “It is not an imposition honey you already had a full day there is no need to walk from the school. What is your address?”

Devon suddenly relaxed glancing at her watch noting it is only twelve-fifteen. 'It is only ten miles we should be there by twelve-thirty or so. Mom does not get home until one and dad is at work until five.’ “68 Prospect Street,” he blurts.

Mrs. Clancy nods, “I know where that is. It is near where my husband works. That is why we moved to North Ridge. His job you know and in this economy you go where they send you. Devon, that’s a mile north of your school,” she finishes with a questioning tone.

Devon blinks, “Is it really a mile? I walk a mile to school everyday?”

Mrs. Clancy emits a giggle, “Girls.”

South Hills is not a tiny spot as such a name implies. It is an old mill town presently containing a population of seven-thousand. Back in the day when the factories were in full production the city housed more than twenty-thousand. As each mill shut down more and more businesses closed their doors, people fled to find work. What remains are minimum wage retail jobs and a lone super market, convenient stores, gas stations and a single medium size mall two miles north of the school. The lower numbered houses on Prospect Street are permanently stained from a coating of cement dust. Dust that wafted on a constant breeze rising from that old road fed by the mills. The same road where Devon stumbled upon that fateful bracelet. Thanks to a favorable trend in the air currents houses above number forty Prospect Street avoided cement dust fallout. That old road has regressed into a rutted single lane. It is mostly dirt as large chunks of pvc coated blacktop long since disappeared, having been reclaimed by nature. At the end of the abandoned road sits the concrete block building at the edge of a now dry canal. Very few are aware that block building houses Dale Electronics. It seems an odd place to open a facility.

“You forgot to give me your cell number Dev.” Trish’s voice broke the trance surrounding the new girl.

Devon had not taken the time to find her phone number. Time, when did the poor girl get a quiet minute to consider that? Removing the phone from her purse, Devon began to turn it on. ‘Purse, I had hardly noticed this fantasy generated a purse. I thought the damn thing was in my bookbag.’ While fiddling with the phone the bookbag rested at her feet. Trish turned toward her friend grabbing the phone. “We can butt the phones together and our numbers can port to each other’s phone.”

The boy watched amazed as Trish’s fingers jabbed at her phone. “It is done now we have each other’s number.”

“I did not know you could do that.” Devon exclaimed.

Trish giggled, “Silly and I thought you were the math wiz.” Devon blushed.

“Dev did you notice Mark Curtis on the lawn when we were waiting for mom?”

Devon shakes her head, “Who is Mark Curtis? I don’t know who he is.”

Trish stares at her friend with an incredulous gaze. “Dev be real he is in your history class. There are only five of you in there. How did you not notice him? Mark is beyond gorgeous.”

Mrs. Clancy nearly slams on the breaks when she hears her daughter’s comment. “Trish you are only fourteen. I do not want to hear anymore talk like that.

“Mom I am nearly fifteen, next week to be exact. Oh well, whatever.” Trish leans closer to Devon whispering. “The guy is awesome; he lives two doors from me. He goes to Bryant and is taking advanced classes. God, Dev he was staring at you the whole time. You did not see that I’m in love and sick puppy dog look on his face?”

Devon startled having no idea what Trish is talking about. He never experienced a guy looking at him like that. Devon shrugged signaling he did not notice while catching Mrs. Clancy’s expression in the rear view mirror. ‘Was she laughing, OMG she heard what Trish said!’ Embarrassed, Devon tried to sink lower in his seat. His ploy did not work as he could see Mrs. Clancy’s smirk in that mirror. “Trish,” he whispers, “I did not see that. Why, is it something I have to worry about?”

“Dev my dear, every girl I know would die to have Mark Curtis looking at her like that. I will give him your phone number if he asks, unless you tell me not to.” The conversation ended with the SUV pulling up in front of 68 Prospect Street.

Before Devon could forbid his friend passing out his number to a dreamy guy, one he failed to notice, Mrs. Clancy spoke. “It was nice meeting you Devon. I hope you can come around to the house sometime. I don’t mind dropping you off each day from school. If it is okay with your parents. I will get your number from Trish and give your mom a call, tonight maybe.”

Devon uttered a quiet thank you forgetting the question from Trish. She jumped out of the SUV focused on changing back before mom got home. Trish and her mother both said “Bye, see you tomorrow,” in unison as Devon waved a goodbye.

He raced to his room without looking to see if his mother had gotten home. She usually arrived between twelve-forty-five and one pm. According to Devon’s new watch, a very feminine gold watch it reported five minutes before one. Just as he removed the bracelet he heard the door close. Devon barely shifted back to his old fat self when he heard footsteps on the stairs.

“Dev honey are you home yet?”

“Yes mom I just got in.”

“I drove by the school,” his mother starts “But I did not see you. How did you get here so quickly? I just missed the bus.”

Devon took a quick breath and before he could catch himself he blurted out an answer. “Mrs. Clancy drove me home from school with her daughter Trish.”

Startled by her son’s answer Mrs. James sat. ‘Devon has never mentioned having any friends. Now a girl gives him a ride home. Perhaps, things are turning for the better.’ “Come on down Dev and tell me about your friend and school.”

“I need a shower first mom, be down in a bit.” ‘Now what do I do? I can’t tell mom they think I am a girl.’


Fourteen

Late on that fateful Monday evening, Colin Duffy stewed in his room. The lockdown had been lifted as the company completed its business for the day. He again reviewed his accounts noting payment had been withdrawn. No response had come from Moss regarding his text the previous day. Infuriated he considered what could have happened. ‘They received the product and decided to cheat me out of my payment. Is it possible someone intercepted it?’ He sat back trying to piece together events. ‘If Dale Electronics intercepted the bracelet they would have done something by now, unless they are unaware of who took it.’ He shrugged, ‘no Collins himself told me my substitute had failed because of a faulty battery and filament.' He is convinced my substitute was the original. 'It took me weeks to get my hands on one and there is little chance to get another. I cannot risk it because Moss very likely is the guilty party.’ Duffy continued to pace trying to factor a plan to seek revenge on those who cheated him. He lay back on his bunk feeling discomfort from that lump on his back. It was beneath his shoulder blade in a spot he cannot reach. ‘It seems to be getting bigger.’ Duffy rolled over falling into a fretful sleep.

At dinner Devon’s parents pressed him for information about his first day at school. He said little avoiding the events and his strange metamorphosis. Halfway through dinner his phone rang and father quickly interrupted. “Let it go to voice mail no phone during dinner.”

Devon blinked wondering who could have called. Before finishing dinner with Clay James’ irritation over phone calls producing a pall, the landline rang. Joyce passed a glance toward her son suggesting he not go to the phone. True to form father let it go to the answering machine as his gaze signaled that intent. From the kitchen table Devon could hear the message. It is a call for him. ‘Did Trish give my number to Mark Curtis? No the call is on the land line.’ The boy left his number requesting Devon call back.

Joyce smiled as she faced her son. “First day of school and it sounds like you have a friend. Tell me about the girl who gave you a ride home.”

“It is no big deal mom. The girl stopped me after school to ask a question about class. She made me miss the bus so her mother gave me a ride home. Excuse me I’m tired I need to take a shower and crash.”

Devon had barely reached the top step when he opened his cell phone. As he expected the call came from Trish. He started to return her call stopping himself. ‘I can’t call her without wearing the bracelet.’ Sweat started forming on his brow. ‘How am I going to do that with them downstairs?’ He discovered much to his relief Trish had sent a text message. Trish swore she did not give Dev’s number to Mark. There is only one number in Devon’s contact list. Even with that it took him a half hour to figure out how to send a text. Devon told Trish, Mark had called his land line leaving a message but she did not call him back.

Almost at once Trish replied, “Told u he is ga ga.”

Devon’s panic rose. “I will check him out at school.” ‘Why in the hell did I send that message?’ Devon showered then went to bed worried about tomorrow.

It was nine pm of the longest Monday Devon ever experienced when the phone rang. Joyce James answered not recognizing the number displayed on her caller id. The female voice she heard began in warm tones. “Mrs. James, this is Margaret Clancy, Patricia Clancy’s mother. I am calling to let you know I gave Devon a ride home from school this afternoon. My daughter has taken a liking to Devon they appear to get along quite well. I am wondering if you mind if Devon rides back and forth with Patricia and I? It is far better than that bus.”

Mrs. James was quite surprised by this as her poor son has so few friends. Come to think of it she could not recall any friends since elementary school. “Devon told me about the ride this afternoon. That was very nice of you and kind to offer. If it is alright with Devon it will be fine with me. Devon has already gone to bed so I will leave a note giving my permission.” Joyce sat back as Mrs. Clancy chatted for a moment. The two women agreed to greet each other by first name and when one suggested they get together sometime it sounded like a grand idea. Mrs. James checked on Devon who was sleeping peacefully. She left a note on his night stand informing him Mrs. Clancy will pick him up at the house about eight-twenty.

Sometimes fate takes a hand but often that hand only delays the crisis. During their phone conversation neither Mrs. James nor Mrs. Clancy used pronouns when referring to Devon. It was simply the nature of their conversation certainly at some point a pronoun will be interjected. Him, her, your daughter, she and etc is more commonly used in conversation than proper names. At some point this has to happen. For now Devon dodged a bullet. Had he known about this, panic is sure to have applied its grip. Panic will wait for morning.

Devon had a restless sleep through the night tossing and turning half waking several times. He awoke with his alarm sounding at six-thirty to feel his saturated sheets. He could hear his mother calling from downstairs. “Dev I left you note on your night stand. Mrs. Clancy called, she sounds like a nice lady. I am sorry I won’t be here when she comes. As you know I have to be at work by eight.”

‘Oh shit what is that about?’ He jumped out of bed being shaken by his mother’s words. He called downstairs, “Ok mom, be down after I shower.”

In the shower he noticed an oddity. He could almost see his private area. He knew he is small down there but due to his rotund shape he cannot see over his belly. He could view himself there by sitting in front of a mirror but he never had any desire to so. ‘Am I losing weight?’ His stomach mound appears a bit smaller. ‘Naw it is my imagination I still can’t see my thing. My chest appears a little puffy I never noticed that before. Perhaps if I had a waist I might have.’ He shrugged stepping out of the shower to read the note. ‘They are coming here!’

At the breakfast table conversation is light with his parents still raising questions about the first day of school. Devon tried to be as vague as possible saying little. Father was the first to leave as his job started before mother’s. Mom worked from eight to half past noon to allow full timers their half hour lunch at noon. Once the desk staff returned at twelve-thirty she clocked out. After dad closed the door Devon asked his mother. “Why was dad giving me those strange looks?”

Joyce blinked not surprised by his question. She too noticed something odd about Devon. Mrs. James smiled thinking, ‘Clay picked up on that too, I’m surprised.' "I noticed your voice sounds a bit different. Your father must have picked up on that as well. Are you feeling ill, have you noticed it?” Mrs. James measured her son expecting some kind of reaction.

Devon widened his eyes having no idea what she talking about. “I’m fine mom, what’s wrong with my voice?”

Joyce appeared pensive as if searching for an answer. “Perhaps your voice is finally breaking and will become deeper. That happens for boys around your age.” She did not add a thought that troubles her, ‘though his voice appears higher not deeper.’

Devon did not want to wear a skirt to school today. He noticed appreciative glances from boys yesterday. To say they were unwelcome by the faux girl is rather obvious. Devon has no interest in attracting boys. Though on one level he warmed to them feeling those glances were far better than years of torment he experienced. ‘The bracelet dictates what I wear,’ he considered. ‘Yesterday I wore shorts that were turned into a skirt. My pajamas were turned into a girl’s night shirt. What if I put on jeans?’ He dressed in jeans and a tee though he feared the day’s heat may be too much for jeans. He had to find out.

He waited until he heard mom drive away before putting on the bracelet. Sure enough, his jeans morphed into a pair of girl’s tight skinny jeans. His tee became a silk cami betraying his bare arms while enhancing the outline of his A cups. ‘Wow!" he exclaimed seeing his reflection in the mirror. ‘I’m actually not half bad. Not as pretty as Trish but not bad. What do I have to do to get a pair of girl’s shorts?’ Devon glanced down at his wrist to see the gold watch reappear and noticed the furthest crystal is much more faint than it appeared day before. He did not have time to dwell on that as a horn is blowing in front of the house.


Fifteen

The laser robots patrolled access halls to the design labs. There are two labs side by side in the central area of the concrete building. They are protected by a moat so to speak. The moat is nothing more than a series of hallways surrounding the labs. To enter either lab one must negotiate a maze like series of hallways patrolled endlessly by these deadly robots. The robots appear rather innocuous resembling common shop vacs. The difference being they do not clean carpets they neutralize intruders. Their setting capability provides a range of fire power allowing for everything from a simple stun to full termination of the intruder.

Bob Collins swiped his key card followed by his typing a command to shut down the robots. With considerable speed he entered his lab. He did not notice Duffy piggybacking behind him. Duffy waited until Collins turned the first corner before squeezing through the slow sliding door. The metallic locking sounds startled him, but only momentarily. Duffy knew he had mere seconds to push aside a ceiling tile and lunge upward before Collins reactivated the robots. He crawled carefully along widely spaced support beams. Every several feet a clear tile allowed viewing down to the hallway below.

Duffy peered into the north lab finding it empty. He used his remote pointing it toward a control panel to shut off the video cameras. Silently he dropped into the lab. Colin Duffy made a quick sweep to discover there were no bracelets in production in this lab. He quickly ascended into the ceiling reactivating the cameras. Crawling carefully he rapidly positioned himself above the South lab to watch Collins at work.

The technician worked adjusting a bracelet with miniature tools. Duffy, even with his high powered glasses could not determine what those adjustments were. He mused, ‘is he applying the woman’s DNA that I secured? What difference does it make whose DNA is involved? Collins is modifying the unit. What is he doing?’

Perplexed, Duffy remained motionless for nearly an hour watching Collins. He had no idea how long he will be trapped in these cramped quarters. Duffy could feel the tension as his knees and legs began to scream due to his positioning. The question remains how much longer will Collins take. Duffy will have to act quickly once the designer places the bracelet into the cabinet. There is not a lot of time to shut down the cameras then drop into the lab to secure the product. Duffy is aware he will have little time to extract himself avoiding the robots. Finally Collins completes his work but takes the bracelet with him as he leaves. ‘Shit I did not count on that, now what?’ Duffy scurries back over his route along the beams in time to see Collins open the exit doorway. Colin Duffy as he feared had no way out and resigned himself to await Collins’ return.

Collins, Bailey, Evans and Dr. Stanfield sit at the conference table for yet another meeting called by Marcus Bailey. There are several issues concerning the head of this division of Dale Laboratories. Bailey leads by addressing Bob Collins, “Bob did you make the adjustments that I requested?” Bailey is referring to the Bracelet holding the DNA of the comatose woman. Collins passes the bracelet across the table toward Bailey who fingers it gingerly.

The answer from Collins comes with a questioning tone as if he is curious why Bailey wanted this change. “Marcus, I did as you asked but failed to see the need for the adjustment.” Collins leans back taking Bailey’s measure waiting a response.

Bailey for his part did not wish to discuss his reasons. Collins certainly did not need to know. Bailey knew full well this change prevented any ability to test the unit. ‘Then again we know this unit works and no further testing is required,’ Bailey thought. As with any top secret project controlling information is required. People only need to know their part, not the big picture. The problem for Bailey is Dr. Stanfield reveals too much for the head’s comfort.

Murray Stanfield clears his throat as he signals his intent to interject his opinion. Bailey turns quickly to face him, “You have something to say, Murray?”

Stanfield is an imposing figure standing over six-feet tall packing two-hundred-twenty pounds of pure muscle. His blond crew cut highlighted by deep steel blue eyes enhances an already imposing figure. The doctor leans forward speaking with a stern measured tone. “I sense you have problems,” he begins. “Collins conferred with me as he has concerns about the physical effect your change will have on the user.” He looks at the bracelet while pausing, “Collins did not listen and followed orders. You are aware when your victim uses the object he or she is trapped. You removed the failsafe whereby your customer can no longer view his new persona before committing to a new identity. That suggest to me you are attempting to shaft somebody. Headquarters will be more than curious to discover what you are trying to achieve.” Stanfield’s gaze bore into Bailey as the doctor clearly projected his anger.

The last thing Bailey wanted is the staff learning about this change. Bailey glared toward Stanfield thinking better of challenging him in this meeting. To do so would further inflame the good doctor. Bailey tried to minimize the damage by claiming, “We are merely attempting to see what is possible. There is no intent to use this particular model.” Bailey scanned the room trying to measure if his staff accepted his excuse.

Collins and Evans remained quiet though their glances issued a warning. Dr. Stanfield for his part is not ready to let Bailey off the hook easily. He has grave doubts about Bailey and Evans suspecting something sinister. “Well then Mr. Bailey,” Stanfield carefully selected his words, “You may not be aware there are problems with this particular sample.” Stanfield sat back allowing his words to hang in the air.

Bailey, Evans and Collins leaned forward in unison. Bailey appeared especially concerned blurting, “What do you mean problems?”

Stanfield smiled, “You have not seen the news? The young lady is comatose because of a drug overdose she received by persons unknown. The police suspect a self administered dose. She is pregnant but very much alive. I have friends on the hospital staff. They have confirmed she is breathing only because of life support. The staff concurs they should pull the plug. The parents refuse wishing to keep her alive protecting the unborn child. As you should be aware if news gets out it will cause a ruckus. Both sides of the abortion radicals will be mounting protest. You cannot purpose to insert someone into that situation. You cannot do that because the woman has not been declared deceased. What do you propose to do kill her?”

Bailey and Evans exclaimed they did not know this and of course they would never. Stanfield went on with his condemning the company’s actions. “There are more problems of which you may not be aware.” This statement brought about another round of blinking, coughing and surprise. “Shall I explain?” Stanfield’s question is directed at Bailey who nodded.

“It is like this, what you do not know is truly amazing. The DNA will create a replica of the body from which it had been extracted. This process allows our product to select the stage of life you require. In other words you can create a replica at any point from infancy to old age. When you create a duplicate of the woman presently in a coma that is what you get. Your duplicate will not be pregnant. DNA does not contain that information. What is your plan? Do you think you can convince the doctors your customer suddenly recovers from a coma and the fetus disappeared? Can you answer that question?”

Stunned, Bailey and Evans fished for a comment while Collins stifled a laugh. Collins had become suspicious of his two superiors not accepting the insertion process was simply a matter of testing. He knew one had to conduct test to determine the process worked. Collins also knew none of these customers ever returned. He is certain Bailey and Evans are running a business of their own on the side. Exactly what he does not know but he certainly has no intention of being thrown under the bus. All these thoughts ran through Collins’ mind while Bailey spit out his denial.

“We have no intention of acting as you suggest, Dr. Stanfield. I clearly stated my instructions to Collins are intended to explore what is possible.”

Stanfield smiled not believing a word of it while nodded signaling he swallowed the excuse. “In that case I strongly suggest you recycle the unit here and now. I would hate to think someone would inadvertently apply its use. Yes, there are other concerns you need to hear. I will address this after you tend to the product.” Stanfield points to the recycle unit.

Trapped in his lies, Bailey walks to the recycler flipping the bracelet in his hand. “Quite correct doctor, I will attend to it now.”

As Bailey palmed the bracelet he substituted another failed unit while slipping the working unit under his sleeve. Dr. Stanfield watched Bailey crush the bracelet not indicating if he had noticed Bailey’s slight of hand. Once Marcus Bailey returned to the table he questioned Stanfield. “What other problems have you to report?”

Stanfield’s news is an unwelcome surprise to Bailey “The young woman in question has been secreted to remote facility in Georgia or South Carolina. My sources could only pinpoint the location to somewhere in the southeast. She is no longer in Pittsburgh. I do not wish to rain on your parade but there is also a serious issue with Duffy. Aren’t you glad you disposed of your prototype?”

Bailey suddenly had the sickening feeling all is falling apart. The green tint suddenly appearing on Evan’s expression helped to convince Bailey they are in trouble. Marcus tried to side step the issue with yet another comment. “Yes without the bracelet the woman’s situation is not of our concern.” Bailey pressed Stanfield. “What about Duffy?”

Murray Stanfield replied, “I’m satisfied you are accepting the facts as they present themselves. As you know corporate has threatened to pull the plug with the death of agent Murphy. Did you tell them of the other two deaths? Never mind, I don’t want to know. He is the third one to die you know. We do not understand the catalysts causing the tumors nor do we have a grasp of the toxin. My last physical yesterday of Duffy indicates his tumor is growing. We cannot remove it without extreme risk, if he were to suddenly expire corporate will pull the plug. In other words whatever game you are playing is finished.”

“I assure you we are not doing anything immoral or illegal.” The blood vessels in Bailey’s face reveal his furor.

Stanfield stands, “That is your business not mine. I am simply informing you of the facts and that I will not allow Mr. Duffy to be inserted another time. Is that clear?” Without waiting for an answer Dr. Stanfield exits the room.


Sixteen

Devon arrived for his second day at class sitting in the back seat of the SUV. Trish spoke non stop as she teased Devon about Mark Curtis. “You absolutely have to bag him. He is a dreamboat.” Her comment is whispered as Trish is giddy.

The response from Devon’s is not unexpected. “Stop it, I don’t even know what he looks like.”

Trish simply giggled returning a simple, “You will.”

Mrs. Clancy turned her head upon stopping, “Girls time for school we have arrived. You will have to continue your scheming later. Yes I heard you.”

Both Devon and Trish exited watching the SUV pull away. “Dev isn’t this better than that crummy bus?” Trish asked.

The girls were met by Reagan on the lawn. “Girls, you did so well yesterday that I know I do not have to worry about you. Dev, the math you turned in was amazing. Trish, Dr. Caldwell loved your writing. We are all impressed.” Before the girls could do more than blush, Reagan told them she will be spending time with two of her kids who need individual help. “You have my number girls if you need anything. We will meet Monday to review your weekly report.” With that the proctor bounded toward a boy and girl sitting on a bench near the entrance.

Devon noticed Trish is dressed much like her. Both wore skinny jeans and a camisole blouse. Trish notice Devon’s measuring her like she was sizing her up, “I know it’s too warm for jeans. What if we agree to wear shorts tomorrow?”

Blinking, not knowing what to say, Devon thought there can be only answer. ‘This is something I must agree even if I am not sure I can,’ Devon considered. Devon has no understanding how to secure a pair of girl’s shorts. The stupid bracelet is in charge of the girl’s wardrobe. Devon answered as if on auto pilot, “Sure what color?”

Trish giggled, “We are not twins. Wear whatever color you like. I’m going to wear my powder green running shorts with a mint colored top. Just so you know.” With that they separated into their different classes.

Math class presented a slight change the chairs were arranged in a semi circle with the opened end facing Professor Wilkins. The desk fronted the chairs offering a low profile. The presentation appeared to be in the form of graduate school colloquiums. Devon realized on the first day there would be no place to hide. The arrangement he faces now confirms that point. Near panic sets in as Devon thinks, ‘what do I do now? I faked it yesterday having no idea how. I am more clueless today than before.’

Devon had little to worry about in regard to the course material as the presented girl contributed to the class interaction. He sat truly amazed as words with little meaning escaped the feminine mouth. His auto comments usually were followed by Professor Wilkins saying, “Exactly Devon.” Sometimes Wilkins only nodded and smiled.

The boy’s thoughts kept coming back to, ‘it must be the bracelet.’ The other issue Devon dreaded is Mark Curtis who sat directly opposite him in History class. Mark’s eyes never lessened their gaze causing Devon to become unsettled. ‘Those eyes are dreamy and he is hot. What are you thinking?’ Devon’s inner response shocked the new girl. The class dragged on as the poor fat boy’s focus considered escape. Finally it ended, the class, not the angst.

A swift step toward the door is interrupted by a voice. “Wait up Devon.” It was Mark’s voice, loud and close she could not ignore it.

Devon turned to face a boy who must be nearly six feet wearing a yellow oxford neatly tucked into a pair of blue Dockers. His shoes must have been what Devon’s father meant when he said spit shined. “Yes,” the girl answers sheepishly.

The dreamy, hot, totally awesome Mark according to Devon’s eyes spoke in a deep voice. “Did you get my phone message last night?” Mark asked through his blush.

Devon leaned back feeling flush and very uncertain. “I had already gone to bed when you called. I found it this morning. I thought it was too early to call you.” ‘How is that for quick thinking?’ Devon considered in his quaking fear.

“Can you give me your cell phone number? I asked Pat Clancy for it but she said I had to get from you.” Mark’s eyes held their measure of the girl as he spoke softly.

Devon took a deep breath considering how to avoid this. Once again his mouth got him in trouble. “Sure give me your phone.”

With a broad smile Mark hands over the phone. He watched Devon butt them together. Doing it exactly as Trish had done with their phones yesterday Devon created the contacts on each phone. “I have to warn you Mark I rarely talk on the phone it is mostly used to text.”

Mark answered, “me too,” then walked down the hall as if he were on a cloud. He called, “c-ya later Dev.”

At that moment Trish grabbed hold of Devon’s wrist. “Told ya, he is hot and better yet hot for you.”

Devon blushed happy to have come up with the texting ploy. It has yet to dawn upon Devon when his girl persona shifts into his real self there is no change in his voice. His mother commented on that last night. It seems he did not notice or he simply chose to ignore his mother. Devon certainly never considered their conversation had focused entirely upon the departed Mark. The boy’s attention certainly did not lend itself to his next class.

History class was a replica of math. Plush seats aligned as a semi circle to allow informal discussion as if these high schools kids were graduate students. As in math class Devon interacted expertly in American History. ‘This is getting too weird. What the hell is going on with me?’ Mark walked with Devon all the way to Trish’s car ignoring his mother waiting three spots over. Devon felt flushed each time Mark accidentally touched his arm. Mark’s smile excited her, ‘his eyes are dreamy just like Trish said. What am I thinking? Get a hold of yourself Mark is a boy.’ Shaken by these thoughts, Devon literally dove into Mrs. Clancy’s car trying to hide his blush.

During the ride home Devon added little to the conversation with Trish. The poor boy is preoccupied on how he is going to ditch this bracelet. Devon is well aware he is trapped. There is no possible way he can complete these courses as the butterball. He has to keep using the bracelet. Otherwise he must try to explain the unexplainable. His parents will go nuts and he will flunk out. But how is he going to survive the next eight and a half weeks? Then there is Trish. He has only known her for two days and she already his best friend. ‘I can’t lose Trish. What about Mark? I could feel my knees knocking when we were talking. That scares me because even I know what that means.’

Devon’s trance is broken by a poke followed with a whisper. “Dev, Earth to Dev are you there? I get it, it’s Mark you are smitten.” Trish follows her whisper with a giggle.

From the back seat Margaret Clancy’s brows can be seen noticeably raising in the rearview mirror. That happened when she heard Devon and Trish whispering.

“Huh,” responds Devon, “Did you say something?”

Another giggle escapes Trish’s lips. “You gave Mark your cell number didn’t you? He told me he called your land line last night. Fess up your smitten.”

Mrs. Clancy pulls up to the curb in front Devon’s house. She turns with a smile, “Devon honey you are home. I am happy to say just in time to avoid Pat’s inquisition.”

Devon blushed glancing toward Trish noticing her embarrassed stare at Mrs. Clancy. Devon hugged Trish whispering, “Tell you later,” adding, “Thanks for the ride Mrs. Clancy.”

As Devon stepped out of the car, Trish and her mother both said, “See you tomorrow.”


Seventeen

It seemed to be hours that Duffy laid prostrate in the cramped passageway waiting for Collins’ return. When the man finally appeared at the door Duffy thought through the moves he must take. The hallway is about one-hundred feet in length with one patrol robot. He timed the robot’s movements over a hundred trips back and forth as it patrolled the hall. In each trip it took the unit one minute to reach the other end. Its movement required a square turn to face back up the hall. Duffy has no idea of the laser’s range. Prudence demands he assume one hundred feet is no challenge for the robot. Duffy accepts he has forty-five seconds to drop into the hall while replacing the tile before hitting the floor then exiting. He anticipated that action will take twenty seconds. He also is aware the door cycle takes forty seconds to close. Not giving him much time to escape. He will have twenty seconds from when his feet hit the floor to get out. He also is aware Collins will not activate the robots until he is safely inside his lab. That adds an unknown to his calculations.

The lag time between Collins’ lab entry and his turning the robot on is an unknown. It is also possible the robot when shut down could be facing his direction as it may be on its way up the hall when Collins hits the button. It is a crap shoot he could land next to the robot. At least he is positioned to see Collins enter his lab. When that happens he will drop and run while praying.

Collins’ expression was one borne of frustration as he entered the hall. That affect did not escape Duffy who had no time to consider it at the moment. Collins barely turned the corner as Duffy dropped to the floor. He almost landed on the damn robot. The lifeless beady eyes faced him ready to fire within seconds. Off balance Duffy rolled quickly diving at the closing door with little time to react. He rolled almost a foot into the outer chamber barely missing the steel grip of the door’s closing pincers. He righted himself facing the doors.

Behind Duffy stood Stanfield, from the doctor’s vantage point it appeared Colin was about to enter the lab area. Murray Stanfield Called to the man facing the door. “Duffy, it’s Dr. Stanfield. I would not go in there if I were you.”

Duffy turned with a quizzical stare quickly understanding Stanfield mistook his intent thinking he was going to the lab. “Why not?” Duffy replied to the Doctor.

Stanfield broadly smiles, “Collins is the only one in there. The other tech has the day off and Collins is in a bad mood. We just had a brutal meeting with the brass. It did not go well,” he concludes.

‘So that is where Collins went and where he left bracelet.’ Duffy considers as he nods. “It is nothing Earth shattering I will bother Collins later. Thanks for warning me Doc.”

“Oh Duffy stop in my office in the morning I want to check that lump again.” The doctor request then finishes. “I ordered Bailey that you are not to be inserted again until I can figure out what is going on with that growth of yours.”


Eighteen

Once again Devon barely made it into his room before mother arrived home. “Devon, how did your day go?” Mother’s voice echoed up the stairway as she closed the front door.

“Fine mom I am going to shower, be down in a bit.” Devon sat on the edge of his bed with greater concerns than showering. ‘I need to figure out how to get a pair of shorts and how this stupid bracelet manufactures clothes.’ He stared at the jewel on his wrist removing the watch first then taking off his jeans, blouse, bra and panties. Startled by his reflection in the mirror, he admired the girl he projected. Flat tummy, waif like waist and perky smallish well formed breasts. Devon entered the shower leaving the pile of clothes on his floor.

As the water cascaded over him he noticed two events. First warm water is far more stimulating on this body than the one he was born with. The second event is far more startling. He noticed beads of water in fine mists striking the bracelet he had forgotten to remove. He quickly shielded his arm from the flow jumping out of the shower. Once standing in the bathroom he notice the fourth crystal did not reflect any light as it turned clear. Devon quickly toweled himself off while removing the bracelet.

Beads of perspiration formed on his brow as he sat on his bed. It was then he noticed his female clothing remained in a pile on his floor. ‘I am still naked and “her” clothes are still here.’ He giggled at that thought and shook when he heard his giggle sounded the same as “hers.”

Devon took advantage of mother’s rule. Mom will do Devon’s laundry only if he puts the dirty clothes in the hamper. Part two is Devon has to put his own clothes away. Mother will leave them at the foot of the stairs to be brought up to his room. ‘Mom does not go in my drawers.’ He smiled at that thought while folding the jeans, blouse and under ware. ‘Well I learned a few things including my sizes. The tags are still on the inside band of her clothes.’

Devon quickly took advantage of Sears' online policy. That is order and pay for items on their site and pick them up in the store. ‘No way am I going to explore the girls department. Besides my female self will never get out of the house without being seen.’ He quickly placed his order, waited for confirmation then printed his pickup receipt grateful Sears accepts Pay Pal. He then bounded down the stairs. At two pm Devon sat at the kitchen table facing mom. “Mom I am going to ride my bike down to Sears I bought a new video game and it is ready for pickup.”

When Devon arrived home he ran straight to his room putting away his new clothes. He barely had time to give them an appreciative glance before mom called him downstairs. Sheepishly he walked into the living room under the watchful gaze of his mother. She wanted to talk. He twisted in place on the sofa dreading what she might say. Mother never begins with we need to talk unless there is a problem. Problems are always his fault.

“Dev honey I know this is not your fault,” She began. He visibly relaxed but held his guard as she spoke. “It has been a long time since you have been to the doctor. That is a good thing because we have been without insurance for a long time. Now that your father is back to work we do not have to rely on those impersonal clinics.”

Devon sighed, “Yes mom I know but I’m not sick.”

Mrs. James brushed her son’s brow, “Perhaps not but I have concerns.”

Devon groaned starting to protest but mother cut him off. “I’ve noticed a few things that may or may not be a problem. You have lost a lot of weight, your voice is changing and your skin is different.”

The boy blinked, “Skin different? What are you talking about?”

Mrs. James selected her words carefully not to alarm the boy. “It is softer and more, I don’t know more silkier looking. You have no hair on your arms or legs. Are you getting taller?”

Devon thought about the lines he drew on his door frame and how his girl self is two inches taller than his real self. ‘My real self, she is five-feet-seven and the pudgy me is five-feet five.’ “I don’t think so mom.” He finally answered.

Mrs. James patted her son on his knee. “Go play your video game. I made an appointment with a new doctor. It is on August 9th right after school at one-fifteen. It is on a Friday. Can you ask Mrs. Clancy to drop you there instead of home? Or do you want me to call her? I will pick you up after the appointment.”

The last thing Devon wants is for these two women to talk to each other. “I will ask mom.”


Nineteen

A tall assured man with salt and pepper short cropped hair wearing a double breasted linen suit entered into the anteroom of a stately white colonial home. He approached the front desk of The Pines, as it is known locally. Haslin is a quiet old world community near the Georgia coast. It is just the type place where the affluent find sanctuary for family members to rest. Erin Hopkins is such a person, a twenty-two year old college student who came from old plantation money. When the doctors reported to her parents the month long drug induced coma is likely irreversible they refused to pull the plug. It is true their daughter bore the shame of a bastard child. Both Martha and Steven Hopkins would shoulder their daughter’s shame because neither parent could allow the unborn to perish. With their unabating faith they were determined to keep Erin on life support long enough for the child to survive while prying for a miracle. As to the rogue who committed this crime his death will be sweet. Steven already paid the sum to ensure that result.

The man gazed upon Erin with a pitiful countenance. He knew the doctors were correct but Jarod Isley had a job to do. When Colin Duffy collected Erin’s DNA he planted a tracking chip below the skin at the base of her neck. It was only a matter of time before she would be found. Isley made note of each monitor connection and feeding tube attached to Erin’s body. The information is important when extraction is ordered. That is if it is ordered. Isley did not know and did not care. He is paid to do his job. The tall imposing man faded away as quietly as he entered.

Isley reported to Marcus Bailey in the conference room of Dale Electronics. Bailey smiled when he learned the extraction process is ready to implement. He is still uncertain if he will need to commit this radical act but Duffy is certainly his mole. That decision will be made as soon as he has proof which surely is forthcoming. He dismissed Isley then phoned his chief of security. “Eric, you said you had news for me? I will meet you in my office in ten minutes.”

Eric Bolton arrived as ordered carrying a video disk. “I have something that may interest you. As you are aware only certain individuals are authorized to enter secure areas. I suspect we have an intruder but due to poor placement of cameras I cannot be certain. You know I argued this point many times.”

Bailey blinked, “yes, yes you have. Show me what is on the disk.”

Bolton began walking Bailey through the video. “There sir you see Duffy approach the Lab area directly behind Mr. Collins.” He paused the video speaking in a stressed voice, do you see why I have been I have been complaining about camera placement?

Bailey nods, “yes I can see that.”

Bolton continued, “Collins entered the Lab hallway at one pm and Duffy did not reappear until two hours later.” We have no idea where Duffy went.”

Bailey’s curiosity, now heightened shouted, “Continue.”

Bolton described how records show the times Collins entered and left the lab area. “Now then while Collins is absent the security camera failed in the south lab for two minutes then reactivated. Then as if there is an intruder the camera failed for two minutes in the north lab. An hour later Collins returned and within minutes Duffy reappears at the approach to the lab area. It is not conclusive but it appears we had an incident and Duffy is your intruder. Now can I have those damn cameras?”

Bailey nodded his assent dismissing Bolton with a simple, “good work.” Clearly, this is upsetting to the boss; Bailey momentarily paused before calling Evans. “I think it is time to deal with Duffy. What? Yes our agent located Miss Hopkins all is set on that end. Assuming Collin’s adjustments work. Do not be concerned about the good doctor. He does not need to know. I suggest no later than Friday and this problem will be solved.” He hung up the phone and stood by his window.


Twenty

Devon waited until he heard his mother close the door as she left for work before getting ready for school. He had about twenty minutes until Mrs. Clancy and Trish arrives, ‘not much time he thought.’ Dressed in jeans and a tee shirt he placed the bracelet on his wrist noticing with concern the last crystal is clear. He instantly changed into her again wearing a different skirt and blouse. This is part of his plan to test the strange clothing appearances. ‘Wow a different skirt. This one is a nice black wool pleated one and not too short. New sneakers too, you can’t have enough sneakers.’ Devon quickly stripped placing the new clothes into his drawer. He then dressed in a pair of khaki nylon running shorts and a pastel pink top. Devon smiled admiring his trim almost sexy look in the mirror. ‘This bracelet produces either jeans or skirts. It refuses to give me shorts. If I am naked it gives me nothing. Oh well free jeans and skirts are nothing to complain about.’

Devon tried to keep a low profile at school hanging out with Trish while avoiding others. It seemed at every turn Mark is there. Not that there are many turns when you have only two classes. He was in the student lounge speaking with Reagan and Trish between classes. Mark appeared again waiting outside Devon’s last class. He had rushed out the door ahead of him leading the boy to think Mark had somewhere to go. Devon’s surprised expression is interrupted as Mark spoke. “I did not want to miss you. So I rushed out hoping to catch you. Can we walk outside together? I know you ride with Trish.”

Devon agreed blushing when upon taking their first step Mark took his hand. The new girl wanted to pull her hand away but she did not. Mark’s hand felt warm and secure. She liked how it felt.

Once outside, Mark walked her to a black BMW. “Mom,” he began with an uncommon shy voice. “This is my friend Devon we have a class together.”

Mrs. Curtis presented that I know look to her son as she answered. “It is nice to meet you Devon. I like knowing Mark’s friends.”

Mark quickly burst forth with, “We have History together and Devon is a wiz.”

Just then Trish came bounding over giggling. “Mom’s here Dev are you ready? Oh, high Mrs. Curtis, Mom said to say hello.”

Nancy Curtis glanced at Devon and then Trish. “Patty are you friends with Devon?”

Trish nearly bursting nods excitedly. “Dev is my very best friend.”

As the girls turned to walk to Trish’s car Mrs. Curtis said. “Patty tell your mother I will call her tonight. It would make sense if we took turns driving you kids to school.”

On the way home Trish kept whispering to Devon. “Cool you get to sit in the back seat with Mark.”

At home Devon noticed the second light displayed a less brilliant reflection than the two on right and the fourth furthest left crystal remained clear lacking any reflection. He became concerned wanting to remove the bracelet. He knew to keep the clothes he must undress first. ‘I may as well take a shower since I’m naked. What is this deal with showering almost twice a day? Normally I do that three times a week.’ After storing his clothes he stepped into the shower.

As the water cascaded over him, the boy noticed his stomach appeared smaller than it was earlier. ‘I must have lost more weight,’ he thought. He still could not see his thing as he calls it. His rotund mound blocks viewing anything below it. ‘What do I expect it barely reaches through the fly of my pants when I go.’ More troubling to him is the sudden sensation when the spray strikes his puffy breasts. ‘It feels strangely exciting but what is it with the itching? I did not have that before.’ If Devon saw still another change it did not register or it might be he willfully ignored his most recent adjustment. For anyone who could see, his areolas are suddenly larger and deeper in color. It must be denial because even a blind person could see them.

Devon in fact did lose more weight. He is down to one-hundred-forty-five pounds. That is nearly twenty pounds in a week. He stepped off the scales thinking, ‘no wonder mom wants me to see a doctor.’ The boy had saved those papers from the first day at math class. He remembered he could not make head or tails from the strange symbols and formulas. Devon could not believe he wrote them himself. But he did watch his very fingers guide the pen over the page. Now sitting at his desk he stares maintaining a shocked expression. ‘This stuff is easy. I don’t know why I was confused. It makes perfect sense.’

His focus on those math formulas is interrupted by the phone. Without thinking he answered not putting on his bracelet. “Hello. Oh Trish you made it home safe I was worried and am relieved you called.” Devon paused, ‘where the hell did that come from?’

Trish answered, “Silly why would you worry? Never mind, I called to ask if you wanted to come over to my house for a sleepover Friday night.”

Devon exhaled slowly, excited at the prospect, “I’ll ask mom she should be home in a minute. Can I call you back?”

The reply came quickly, “Of course silly. Oh Paula and Kim are coming. They are two friends from school. They want to meet you.”

Ending the conversation, he hung up excited. Devon paced back and forth waiting for his mother to get home from work. ‘Mom is never going to go for a sleepover with three girls. How in heck do I explain this?’ Then it hit him, ‘brother, Trish has a brother named Kevin. I can say Kevin invited me. Does this have a chance of working?’

Devon stared at the math papers not really seeing them. All focus is drawn to his current problem. ‘It has a chance as long as these two women don’t talk to each other.’ If the boy noticed his voice without the bracelet is now a perfect match to the tenor (she) presents, he did not acknowledge it out loud. It appears his failure to grasp this change is yet more denial.


Twenty-One

At two pm Colin Duffy walked into Dr. Murray Stanfield’s office, “You wanted to see me?”

Stanfield turned from the window with a concerned gaze. “Yes, I need to examine your cyst. There are things I am concerned about. I don’t want to alarm you because it may be nothing. You are aware you are not to go on any assignments requiring Bailey’s insertion process?”

Duffy sat down demonstrating a worried countenance. “Are you saying the two are related?”

The doctor speaks in measured tones. “The relationship is the only thing I am certain about. I have no proof but I assure you the cyst is caused by the insertion.”

Duffy exhales, “What’s the big deal? There is no discomfort and I hardly notice the thing is there.”

Stanfield shakes his head, “The big deal is Wilson. You do remember Ted Wilson don’t you?”

Duffy nods, “Yeah he did the same job as me and three others. One day he got pissed off and quit.”

Stanfield frowns, “That’s what they told you huh?”

The conversation is turning toward a direction that is unsettling to Duffy. He suddenly is beginning to feel very uncomfortable. “Bailey and Evans told me. They had a mission for him and he wanted more money. They refused any bonus so he quit.”

Stanfield lights his pipe and Duffy quickly blurts, “This is a no smoking facility.”

Startled, the doctor laughs. “Do you think I give a shit? These guys cover up a death, perhaps because they caused it and you are worried about my cigar?”

Duffy’s muscles tighten, “Death, Wilson is dead? You think Bailey and Evans did it?”

Stanfield swivels in his chair to face Duffy directly. “First, just so you know, the room has been swept of cameras and listening devices. You would be surprised to learn how many I found. Do you want to hear a story?”

Duffy presents his undivided attention to Dr. Stanfield, “Of course I want to hear what you have to say.”

Stanfield nods then raises out of his chair. “First I want to see your back. Take off your shirt, stand up and turn around.”

Without question he does as instructed. Duffy could feel the doctor’s cold fingers plying his lump. “Not good, do you know it has grown another centimeter since the last time I looked at it?”

Duffy blinks, “Err, no. I thought it might have but I can’t see it.”

“Let me tell you a story,” Murray begins as Duffy tries to hide his concern. “As you are aware everyone is in the dark regarding the work of others. They all have their own piece but are clueless regarding the big picture. Do you have any idea Bailey and Evans have been inserting people into those bodies created from the DNA you gathered? Don’t answer, of course you don’t. Each time the facility has been closed down protected by the killer robots our intrepid leaders inserted a replacement person.”

Duffy interrupts in a near explosion lurching toward the door. Stanfield places his hands on Duffy’s shoulder to slow the man’s exit. “I know you want to rush out there and beat them to death. It won’t do you any good.” Duffy calms as the doctor continues. “What is it five times they went into lock down?”

An ashen Colin Duffy nods answering Murray without words. The doctor presses on, “The DNA you secured came from people who died within three weeks following your visit. They were replaced by customers. Shall we call them customers? Can you guess the price paid to Bailey and Evans for new bodies?”

Duffy began to speak when Stanfield held his hand up to signal he is not done. “I have no idea what the fee is but imagine what you would pay for a new body and be able to take over someone’s life undetected. Have you noticed the common factor? All the DNA you gathered came from young, wealthy, well connected people.”

Colin finally found the words to break his shocked stupor. “They are running a major scam with corporate out in the cold. I get it but what has that got to do with me and this lump?”

Murray smiles, “Now we get to it. As I said everyone is in the dark. Collins developed the bracelet. He knows about the DNA and how that can mimic the body when someone wears it. What he does not know is how the damn thing works. That fell to Dale Cleveland who developed the process. Cleveland is not talking the poor fellow had a fatal skiing accident last year.”

Duffy blinks again having heard nothing of this. In fact he had never heard of Dale Cleveland. Then it hit him, “Doc are you saying Dale Cleveland as in Dale Laboratories? They are parent of this place”

Stanfield continues not answering Duffy’s question. “The guys on the insertion team must be getting a healthy cut because they deny the process works. That leaves me to speculation about the cysts and of the course the toxin. Oh, you don’t know about the toxin. That is why the cysts cannot be removed. Haven’t you wondered why your doctor has not ordered a biopsy?”

Clearly shaken Duffy stutters. “I thought about that but figured you had not enough concern and there is no reason to worry.”

Stanfield nods before hitting Duffy at his center. “The reason I did not do a biopsy is because if I opened the cyst the toxin would be released and you would die within minutes.”

Duffy stands, “I am going to kill those bastards!”

The doctor raises and lowers his head in an exaggerated nod. “I don’t doubt you will but do it when it best benefits you. Bust in there now and blow them away and even if you escape your former employer will come after you. Yeah I am well aware you are ex-CIA. If they don’t get you the toxin will. There is more you need to know.”

Colin sits back on the verge of imploding, “More?”

Murray Stanfield narrows his brows. “Wilson is not the first. You did not know Wilsey and Murphy, agents before you came aboard. Same cysts, same result as Wilson. You are likely next, one more mission and you are done. Like I said there is more you need to know.” Stanfield pauses, “You need a drink.”

Duffy reaches into the cabinet pouring a tall beaker of scotch. “Want one?” Then he pours another for Murray. “You seem to be suggesting there is an out. Tell me the rest of it.”

Stanfield smiles explaining how the story being sold by Bailey and Evans, is a big lie. “You see he tells customers when they inhabit their hijacked identities they will have that person’s memories. That cannot be transferred. DNA does not carry that information. Furthermore, there is no production of new bracelets. That alone raises questions, my guess is, Bailey and Evans have made their money. There is a meeting at the home office. The big guys are demanding answers Bailey and Evans are not giving. You can count on them to disappear any day now. They have a plan for you it is a very interesting plan. In fact it is quite creative.”

Duffy raises his brows his curiosity now heightened. “How do you know all of this and why tell me?”

Stanfield rubs his chin as he sits back considering Duffy. “That’s easy; these criminals killed three friends to advance their scheme. They have destroyed a great company and I suspect they were behind Cleveland’s accident though I cannot prove it. You guessed Dale Cleveland started this company, with my help. I think you can turn the tables by utilizing their plan to dispose of you.”

Colin blinked, “Are you serious? Just walk into their trap?”

The doctor hesitated to consider how he should frame his answer. “Hear me out. You might find their idea may in fact save your life.” Stanfield could see by Duffy’s expression he caught his attention. “Do you remember the last mission? Erin Hopkins the girl in a coma?”

Duffy nods that he does. “She is a real beauty, twenty-one years old thereabouts, wealthy and tried to off herself. She is one screwed up broad."

Murray comes back with, “That’s what they want you to believe. It is far from the truth. You see her worthless boy friend found out she was with child and shot her up with drugs. The authorities bought the idea she tried to do herself out of shame.”

Duffy leans forward widening his eyes, curious where Stanfield is going with this. Seeing he has the man’s attention the doctor continues.

“You know the circumstance, rich child daughter of well establish old south aristocracy and all that. Bailey and Evans figured out you are working for Moss. That makes them upset. When Collins made the adjustments to the bracelet the insertion process became unnecessary. The bracelet will auto insert by the customer simply putting it on. They plan to get rid of you with the bracelet.”

Duffy jumps up his veins ready to burst. “I will kill them!”

The doctor shakes his head. “What if,” letting his question dangle.”

“Ok Doc what are you trying to say? You have a better plan or I should just forget it?”

Stanfield smiles wearing an expression suggesting he in fact has a better idea. “Like I said you can kill them later. That cyst is liable to blow any time now. There is nothing we can do about it. If you had a wealthy youthful body with unlimited resources think of what you could do to Bailey and Evans? As an extra bit of info it might be useful to know when the bracelet is worn the original body is evaporated and replaced by the wearer. One more thing, here is the combination to Bailey’s safe. I will leave the decision to you and I don’t want to know.”

Duffy walked to the door. “Doc you are one sick bastard. I like the way you think. But me a chick, even a rich babe for that matter is a bit much.” He narrows his brows, “I won’t tell you my answer, perhaps if strange things start to happen you will figure it out. What do you want to bet there is more than one modified bracelet in Bailey’s safe?”

Stanfield hands Duffy a bracelet. “Here is a dud, looks like the real thing. In case you need to make a switch with one in a safe.”

As Duffy walked out Stanfield thought ‘Bailey thinks I did not notice him palming the bracelet for Collin’s benefit.’


Twenty-two

The first week of summer school came to end with Devon experiencing more than one oddity. This is the first time in his memory a full week of school resulted without being bullied. He is stunned to discover math and history are easy leaving him to expect an excellent evaluation. The idea of not dreading the pending report is a new event. He does not know what these reports will say but classroom feedback from both professors is positive.

There is the surprising fact he has friends. Not only is Trish the best friend Devon has ever had but Mark, what can he say about Mark? Mark is dreamy, he is simply gorgeous and he is crazy about Devon. The last should present a major red flag for the boy. At one level it does but Devon has the perfect rationalization to ignore all the danger signals.

Simply put Devon relies on being able to ditch the bracelet in two months then enter tenth grade putting this behind him. What he has not faced is the realization when summer school ends, Trish and Mark are not going away. Devon is also ignoring obvious physical changes. His voice is higher almost identical to his girl self. His puffy breasts are slowly enlarging and he now lost twenty pounds.

Devon gazes at himself in the mirror not at all alarmed at the noticeable lack of body hair. He brushes his hair to ready for a bike ride to the store. Mom had left a note requesting he pick up a few items for dinner. He rushed out with his intention to get home as there are several things he needs to do to get ready for his trip to Trish’s house tomorrow.

Mrs. James accepted the story that Trish’s brother invited her son to sleep over tomorrow. It surprised Devon at how easy that lie had been. Devon’s odd events continued as he exited the store. He frantically felt his pocket feeling for the bracelet. With one hand holding a grocery bag placing the bracelet on his wrist now is not an easy task. Why the need for this? Across the street stands Rickey and his posse looking directly at Devon. ‘Shit why did I not wear the bracelet?’

Fortunately for Devon, Main Street is a wide avenue in this section of town. It is also rather busy at two pm. There is the matter of Rickey and friends being a bit dull intellectually. Rickey stares at Devon and is set to jostle the boy a bit. Poor Rickey has a deficit regarding his ability to torment his favorite target. He started to the street watching his victim struggle with his pocket. ‘Something is wrong, that kid is not fat. Her hair is rather cute. I always liked that pixie style.’ Rickey thought suddenly taking a second look. He turns to his posse. “That’s not Devon it’s a girl, taller and thinner. Can you imagine a girl looking like Devon?”

The posse laughs and goes into the video game store as a startled Devon makes a quick exit. When the boy entered the house he rushed to the kitchen dropping the bag on the table. His mother called to him from the living room interrupting his flight to his room. “Devon I need to talk to you.”

Mrs. James measured her son with her eyes. Scanning him from top to bottom and halted with her eyes resting upon his hair. What she views is unsettling. Still fixed upon her son’s hair style Joyce considers, ‘that looks like a girls cut. He has feathered it forward covering his brow. I swear it’s called a pixie cut. Look how much it has lightened.’ “Dev what did you do to your hair?”

The boy feels a quick catch in his breath answering her with a question. It is his way of stalling. “What do you mean with my hair?”

Joyce narrows her brows displaying her concern. “Devon your hair is shades lighter it is almost blond for crying out loud. I admit the sandy color is attractive and the style looks good. What are you trying to do?”

Devon is at a loss because he has tried so hard to hide these unexplainable changes. Caught off guard he almost said because Mark likes my hair this way. A bead of water forms on his brow realizing how close he came to a major blunder. Sheepishly he falls back on a safer answer. “Trish likes it.”

Mother smiled remembering Devon has finally found a friend. “I must meet this girl named Trish. When are you going to bring her over?” Joyce beams at the idea Devon may have a girl friend. Her comfort level dips as Joyce James’ gaze falls to the boy's chest. She shakes her head discounting her initial thought. ‘Calm down, he is not growing breast. It is simply fat tissue residue from the weight loss.’ She could not let him go without one more warning. “I certainly hope your right when you say tomorrow’s report is good one.”

Finally excused a greatly relieved Devon wasted no time escaping to his room. He strips down to view what mother is concerned about. His legs are taking a shape decidedly feminine. ‘Fat girl’s legs,’ he thinks. Devon fingers his hair agreeing his mom is right. ‘This is how it looks when I go to school. It should change back when I take off the bracelet. What is going on? If I did not like the look I’d be worried.’

Devon put on the bracelet which instantly dressed him in a cute cotton light tan blouse and a brown A-line straight skirt. The girl wore a pair of dark brown loafers with white ankle socks. Quickly, Devon undressed folding his clothes placing them in the bottom drawer. He grinned, ‘I love how I can shop for clothes without spending money.’ He observed his bottom drawer is nearly full.

Standing in the shower with his bracelet covered with a waterproof band, Devon explored ‘her’ body. Satisfied with her tiny waist, a-cup breasts, flat tummy and sexy legs Devon’s thoughts raised concerns. ‘Do I want to give this up? I have to everyone would freak. Mom is not blind she is already figuring it out. Only the impossibility of this happening is keeping her from taking these changes seriously. Geeze, Dev don’t forget the doctor’s appointment is not that far off. Oh yeah that should do it.’

The manufactured girl exited the shower to sit at her small table. She found herself wishing for a vanity when suddenly something previously unnoticed caught her attention. The second crystal is clear. Devon rapidly removed the bracelet feeling the now familiar queasy turning in his stomach. He put on his shorts and tee noticing two bumps pressing against the shirt. As he stood his shorts slipped down. They were too loose, ‘uh oh more weight loss.’ The alarm over the bumps is suddenly forgotten replaced by worry about his rapid slimming down.


Twenty-three

It is dinner time in the southeast. Food means very little to Steven Hopkins who sits in a darkened room listening to the steady beep of a monitor. His steady voice reads absently words from a book having little meaning to him. He makes this effort because many believe his words provide comfort for his still daughter. Hopkins wants to believe this is true. He begs all that is holy to spare his daughter. For a fleeting moment he thought he heard a stirring but no, it is only the rustling of a breeze by the open window.

Hopkins had initiated an investigation of the low life that ruined his daughter. Phil Perkins a university of Pittsburgh drama student surely is the one who got her pregnant. Hopkins made his fortune through the law being one of the top corporate lawyers in Georgia. His firm has grown to a dozen litigators and hundreds of staff. Hopkins had a head start. His father and grandfather had built a fortune through their textile mill empire. He is determined to bring the full force of his might down upon that drama student. His concentration must be on getting his daughter well.

Martha Hopkins enters the room taking her husband by the hand. The man had fallen asleep once again. The book opened lying in hip lap. She kisses his forehead. “It is time for you to go home. Get your rest I am here now.”

Colin Duffy spent his Saturday planning and doing research. There are multiple problems for the former CIA agent to resolve. He needs to discover a way into Bailey’s office without being detected. He also must learn as much as he can about Erin Hopkins. Duffy does not embrace the wild solution offered by Dr. Stanfield. It is something no one with a background such as Duffy’s would even consider. Until something better presents itself the man is left with this hair brained scheme.

Duffy crawls along the ceiling beams carefully making his way in the dark. He had hoisted himself into the crawl space from his room. There are no cameras placed in the bedrooms so he did not have to worry about being seen. Duffy had heard talk someone may have penetrated the labs because security discovered the video blackouts he caused.

The agent suspected they may have recorded him in the lab area on that day. He needed to deflect attention to buy himself time. If they suspected him then he will be watched. Duffy needs to create deniability if he is to have a chance of breaking into Bailey’s office.

Collin returned to his room safely after having shut down the cameras in labs one and two. He carefully timed the interruption to last for two minutes each. Exactly as it was the last time there is no ability for security to see Duffy anywhere near the area. He hoped this will create the misdirection he needs. ‘A visit with Bolton is in order for the near future,’ Duffy considers.


Twenty-four

Duffy may have had an interesting Saturday but it was not any more exciting than the one at the James household. While Devon scurried about his room getting ready for his sleepover at Trish’s house his father brought in the mail. Devon worried how he is going to smuggle a skirt, girl’s shorts and the like out the door. Of course he will pack those things in his bag but what if mom wants to see what he is bringing with him. There will be no boy clothes; he does not need to explain that to Trish and her friends. Devon is certain the girls will be looking at what he brought. He no sooner got ready when his father called him downstairs.

Mom and dad were sitting on the back deck drinking tea on this warm June afternoon. Dad looked up at Devon while two sheets of paper were clutched in his hands. Mom sipped her tea not able to hide a broad smile. Devon regards his father trying to ascertain what the man is about to say when Clay nearly explodes. “I never thought I ever see anything like this!”

Nearly freaking Devon, glances down to his decidedly more enhanced feminine legs. He had worn shorts because his weight loss caused his jeans to be way too large. He could hardly hold them up even with a belt at the tightest. Quickly he almost crashed into the chair hiding his legs under the table. The white round metal patio table hid any view of those sexy legs. Devon gazed at his father trying to imagine what he could say. Dad sat across from him at the furthest point, ‘Thank god,’ Devon thought, while mom is to his left.

“Devon, I am so proud of you. Professor Wilkins says you are the most impressive student and a joy to have in his class. Professor Jacobs claims you have an acute understanding of American History. Two A grades, I am stunned.”

All the air seemed to be sucked out of the area like a giant vacuum. Devon took a deep sigh of relief. ‘He did not notice my legs. I thought I was dead.’ Now smiling realizing for the first time ever he made his dad proud. Devon then pressed his luck. “If I keep this up you won’t have to refund the money. You could apply it toward tuition at Bryant for my first year in high school.”

Mother almost fell out of her chair and dad turned an odd shade of pea green. It was father who spoke first. “Do you have any idea how much it cost to go to that private school, do you?” He enunciated “Do you” with great emphasis.

Devon blinked as he recoiled. He knew it was a wise ass statement said as a comeback. As he thought about it he considered what a joy it would be to attend that school. It was mother who answered, not Devon he was too stunned to speak. Mrs. Clancy’s horn blew breaking Devon’s stupor. He waved to mom and dad while running out the door.

Devon barely sat in the back seat when Trish leaned forward slapping at her brother. “Mom tell him to leave Dev alone.”

Mrs. Clancy stared at her son. “Two things junior, first leave Devon alone, second if you don’t I’ll sick Mark on you. He is bigger than you are.”

The two girls laughed as Kevin faced forward quite silent while Margaret drove from the curb.

Mr. And Mrs. James has rushed from the deck but Devon was already in the car. They could see four people but did not catch a glimpse of what Devon is wearing. Another close call for the kid raising the question when is the roof going to crumble? Everyone knows at some point everything evens out. Clayton glances at his wife. “You said her when referring to Devon. Normally that would not bother me but I caught a disturbing glance of his legs. What aren’t you telling me?”

Joyce narrows her brows, also concerned. “I noticed that too and have no answer for you. Those legs were on my mind when I said her. I did not mean anything by it. It was just a slip brought about by how our son looks. That is why I scheduled the doctor appointment. Balmgartner is supposed to be one of the best. I wrote her a letter addressing my concerns. I know Devon will not fess up to anything and I cannot be there.”

The weekend came and went without anything more for Devon to worry about. He managed to reenter his house without getting caught in girl’s clothes. Regarding the claim of nothing happening to worry about there was one thing. Devon is not worried about it but anyone who is of a normal frame of mind will tell you he should be. Devon was standing by the pool in the Clancy’s back yard. He was all alone dressed in shorts and blouse. Trish had been cornered by her mother who ordered the girl to do a chore. Mrs. Clancy suggested Devon wait outside. Devon did nothing wrong, mom was insisting Trish do something she had promised to do.

While Devon walked through a rose garden enjoying the fragrance he was lost in thought. Suddenly without warning Mark appeared. He smiled demonstrating a bashful countenance as he gazed upon Devon. They had spoken for a few minutes when Mark noticed a sparkle in Devon’s eyes. She is radiant standing their so pretty, so innocent. Mark could not resist and without warning he leaned forward and kissed her. Stunned, Devon almost stepped back he nearly slapped Mark. For some unexplained reason Devon did nothing. He simply stared while processing what happened. ‘A boy kissed me, God how embarrassing. I gotta get out of here.’ Devon still did not move.

“I’m sorry.” Mark fumbled. “Don’t be mad it is just that I find you beautiful.”

Devon surprised by what Mark said tries to form an answer but his words are not what he intended to say. “I like you too Mark and I am not upset, just surprised that’s all. No boy has ever kissed me.” Devon stood shocked at what his mouth spit out without warning.

“Never been kissed,” Mark said more in shock than anything else. “Devon, you are beautiful and I would die if you let me be the one to give you your first real kiss.”

Devon steps closer to Mark feeling he has no control. To make it worse he is smiling and signaling he’d love for Mark to kiss him. Mark receiving that same message gently takes Devon into his arms kissing the girl he loves passionately.

At first Devon melted the rush of passion overwhelming her. She almost did not hear Mark when he said something. The words just seemed to evaporate into the air. Devon blinked. Mark gazed at her expecting something, anything while getting nothing. “Dev did you hear me?”

The new girl blinks, “Uh no what did you say?”

Mark would have stepped closer to Devon if he could have. There is no space between them as they are touching. “I asked if you will go steady with me, I love you.”

Devon blinked stammering, “My parents won’t allow that. They don’t let me date yet. What if I promise not to date anyone else?”

Mark smiled as he looked into her eyes. “That is something like going steady.”

As Trish approached she nearly fell over. “Guys, break it up no kissing in my back yard. I’m the only one allowed to kiss in my garden.”

Devon and Mark turned quickly as Trish is laughing. “I take it you two are an item now.”


Twenty-five

Colin Duffy found himself with a free weekend as the research facility had shut down until Monday. He knew exactly where to go. Howie Bemis and Kim Bok Sim like to hang out at the Boundary, a country western bar in North Ridge. The pair were techs who worked the insertion program at Dale Electronic’s Laboratories. It was not hard to find them as they were at their favorite past time shooting pool and losing. Duffy spotted them returning to their table after losing another round to some rugged looking good old boys.

Duffy carried three beers over to their table. He slid into the booth handing over the brews. “Hi guys, no urgent business in the works?”

Kim, the short thin Korean laughed commenting in broken English, “All is quiet the bobsie twins have nothing for us to do.”

Bemis grunted, “Nothing happening since your adventure last week.”

Kim corrected him, “Ah Howie san you forgot that old lady who almost had a bird when she flew off.”

Duffy takes a deep draught on his beer raising a brow. He questions Kim, “A bird? What are you talking about?”

Kim shakes his head pressing his fingers to his lips. “I can’t talk about that. Company policy, you know.”

The conversation turned to a fat woman dressed as a cow girl standing on the stage killing some country song in her attempt at karaoke. Kim begins laughing as he rocks back and forth. “I can sing Johnny Cash better than that even with my accent.”

Several brews later Bemis and Kim began arguing over how many insertions they supervised with Bemis claiming the lead two to one. Duffy asked using a surprised tone. “You mean there have been three bracelet tests including the old lady?”

Bemis and Kim nod with Kim adding, “If they were tests they flunked.”

Duffy pushes back his hat raising a brow. “What do you mean flunked?”

Kim is now laughing loudly taking a minute to settle down to speak. “None of them came back. Like you Duffy you always come back.”

Bemis pokes Kim, “Yeah but Duffy does not wear that bracelet.”

Kim nods, “Yeah Duffy why don’t they give you a bracelet?”

Getting into the teasing Duffy fakes a scowl as if he is slighted. “Must be they don’t like me. Maybe they do, after all I don’t get a bracelet and I come back. What in hell is the bracelet for? You guys ready for another round?” Duffy, of course knew what the bracelet did. He is fishing to learn what he can about the insertion process.

Over the course of the evening Colin confirmed what he suspected. These guys have no idea what the insertion program is all about. What surprised him was Bailey and Evans have sent three people over. Duffy has figured out he knows more than the two techs do. He has discovered Bailey and Evans are using the DNA samples to craft new bodies. He now suspects these insertions Kim and Bemis are involved in must be a conversion process. ‘Are these guys replacing people? Is that why they are not coming back?’ Duffy suddenly feels a chill running down his spine.

It all makes sense to Colin Duffy. He thought he was gathering DNA to conduct experiments for genetic research. ‘It is more than that. These bastards are replacing people. So what is it about the people being replaced?’
Duffy forced himself back to the present as his partners broke his private thoughts. “Hey we have to get moving, time to go.” The voice he heard sounded like Bemis.

Duffy stood knowing he is the only sober one here, thinking, ‘I can’t let these guys drive they can hardly stand.’ At closing time Bemis and Kim can barely walk out of the bar. Duffy insists on driving them back to the compound. ‘They can get their cars tomorrow. I have more research to do on Erin Hopkins.’

Duffy sat up the entire night trying to piece this together. Dr. Stanfield confirmed they are creating new bodies. He said nothing about the purpose, or did he? Duffy suddenly recalled his recent conversation with Stanfield. ‘He said they have plans to send me back to college as a babe. Erin Hopkins to be exact she is the girl in a coma. Wait a minute, it is all making sense. They are taking DNA from people who get killed. From what I learned about Hopkins is she has no chance of coming out of that coma. Who was that other person that I took the DNA from? I need to know her name as well. How did they know she was going to die? Dr. Stanfield and I have more to discuss.’


Twenty-six

Monday morning as Devon walked down the stairs wearing jeans and a tee his mother stopped him. “Dev those jeans are way too baggy on you. I am going to give you my credit card. I want you to buy yourself three pairs of jeans and a couple of shirts for school. Whatever you do don’t break the bank. Keep the costs down.”

He blinked happy that he could get rid of these ill fitting clothes. Perhaps it will ease the attention to the weight he is losing. He smiled thanking his mother as she left for work. Devon dashed upstairs putting on his bracelet to discover another pair of skinny jeans and cami top. He kicked off the loafers replacing them with a pair of crocks. He did not have time to paint his toenails so he simply shrugged running out the door in time for his ride.

School went by in a flash, though his brief stints between periods could have slowed down. It would have given him time for additional kisses from Mark. Devon flushed when thinking about Mark’s soft lips and the excitement he felt when the boy held him. ‘What in heck am I going to do when summer school ends? How am I going to deal with Mark and Trish? I do not think Devon James disappearing will be something I can pull off.’ Devon cringed at those thoughts.

Mrs. Clancy dropped Devon at Sears rather than his house. Trish hugged her friend as Dev stepped out of the car. “Dev remember Mrs. Curtis will be driving us tomorrow.” She added in a whisper, “Back seat with Mark.”

Devon ran into the store waving to Trish. He wanted to get this over with as soon as possible. Sears resides in the average sized small city mall just north of school about a quarter mile further than Prospect Street. He looked around trying to find a place to remove the bracelet without being seen. This to Devon appeared to be an impossible task. People were every where he looked. He could not enter the men’s room they way he is dressed and the ladies room is also a no, no. The transformation to his real self would freak people out in there. Devon decided he’d have to change in the dressing booth.

‘How weird is this. I am walking through Sears looking very much like a girl shopping for boy’s jeans. Now I know how guys who buy panties feel.’ He giggled at that thought. Devon is aware his girl size is six but what does his male self need? He must have dropped ten sizes. He carried in a pair of boys Wranglers to the dressing rooms.

The woman at the desk looked at the jeans and then to Devon. “Honey, those will never fit a lot of girls wear boy’s jeans but not with your figure. A twenty-four inch waist is way too big.” She shakes her head. “If you want boy’s jeans go to the boy’s department. I’d suggest sticking with girl’s size six, boot cut”

Devon looked at the woman blankly trying to come up with something to say. He knew telling her they are for a brother would not work. Instead he eeped out, “boot cut?”

He only knew he needed something to get past his mother. A girl’s boot cut style may work there is little obvious difference from boy’s as long as the label reports Wrangler or Levis. Still he has not taken off the bracelet. It is something that gets harder to do everyday. Removing the bracelet is not physically difficult, but mentally so. He prefers to be Mark’s girlfriend rather than the old Devon. Back into the main store he selected a girl’s size eight boot cut and hustled back to the dressing room.

The girl at the desk stopped him again. “Honey you look like a six, maybe even a four. You will be swallowed up by those eights.”

He nodded “I know” saying it sheepishly. “The size eight is for my sister and the six is for me. If the eight is a bit too roomy then I know it will fit her. The small boy’s jeans are to see how they fit. You might be right with the girl’s boot cut though.”

The woman smiled satisfied with herself for being helpful. She pointed to the door and Devon entered. Alone at last in a private closet he removed the bracelet the smaller boy’s jeans were still way too big for Devon after taking off the bracelet. He discovered a smaller boy size would not go over his hips. The waist is fine but those hips will never make it. The waist size is only twenty-four. ‘God,’ Devon squeaked to himself, ‘at the end of the school year the old Devon wore forty-two.’

Clearly frightened by what he saw Devon wanted to lose the bracelet and quickly. Again he returned to his previous thoughts of Trish and Mark knowing he could not return to school as Devon the boy. He also knew the changes to his old body have been dramatic. Worries begin to grow centered upon two thoughts. ‘How far are these changes going to go and how can I explain them to mom? No wonder she made that doctor’s appointment.’ His thoughts were suddenly broken.

“Are you ok in there honey.” The woman’s voice called from outside.

“I’m getting dressed and will be right out everything is fine.” He answered.

The woman closely checked the stack of clothes Devon carried out as if he were trying to hide a pair of jeans under the skinny girl’s jeans he is wearing. ‘Like I could stick anything under these tight things and no one would notice.’ “You were right boot cut size six are the right ones. I’ll take these and get a couple more. As for the eights, sis can get her own.”

Around the corner in the misses department Devon dropped the size six jeans and took three size eights. A block from home Devon hid behind a tree to remove the bracelet. Oddly enough he found himself wearing a pair of Dockers style slacks and light cotton button shirt. Both fit perfectly. Mother was in the kitchen when he got home. She called to him as his foot hit the bottom step of the stairs. “Did you find something to fit you Devon?’

He yelled over his shoulder as he fled upstairs. “Yeah I did. I will bring your card down in a minute.”

“Don’t forget the receipt.” Mom called back.”

‘Receipt, shit, shit, shit’, Devon thought as he closed the door. It took no time to cut the size tags out of the waist band. ‘Misses size eight will never fly with mom. It is a good thing mom did not see me when I came in because these Dockers are about to disappear. I don’t want to explain how it is they are not on the sales slip.’

“Dev turn around let me check the waist band. Did you try them on?” Mrs. James questioned as Devon came down the stairs.

“Aw mom,” Devon whined with the mom sounding as the elongated whine of a girl.

Mrs. James’ eyes widened upon hearing this but said nothing. She checked the waist, hips and length. “They are perfect but why so large with the tee shirts?”

Devon had bought three larger size Hanes Beefy tees. He always preferred the roomier shirts because they hid his flabby stomach. The problem now is those a-cups. The larger tees managed to hide them, somewhat. “I like them large mom. I saved you money. The jeans were on sale for fifteen dollars and the shirts were only seven-fifty.”

Joyce smiled at that, “Good I’m proud of you. Don’t forget the receipt.”

Devon rushed upstairs just as his cell began to ring. Happy he dodged a bullet he fell back on his bed. “Hello.”

“How did your shopping go? What did you buy?” Trish’s voice echoed in Devon’s ear.

“Just some jeans the ones I have were getting ratty”

They talked for an hour before Mrs. James called Devon for dinner.

Later that evening Joyce could not shake the feeling there is something odd about those jeans. She scanned the receipt which simply reported Wranglers $14.95 with a series of numbers after the name Wranglers. The tee shirts were simply listed as tee $7.50 followed by numbers and the letter L. “Ok.” She says aloud. ‘The tees are size large as Devon said. That is where the L comes from on the receipt. The wranglers on the other hand usually report the waist size for boys.’ She considers for a moment feeling foolish over her making a big deal about this. ‘Boys and men’s jeans are marked by waist and length like 30 x 30 while girls are labeled with a simple 10 for the size. These jeans appear to be a size eight. No, Devon could not possibly be wearing a misses size eight.’

Mrs. James said nothing about her paranoia to her husband as she felt the fool for having this notion in the first place. Before she went to bed she checked on Devon as she had done every night of his entire life. She expected to see the jeans and tees tossed in the corner. Like a typical boy Devon has always tossed new clothes into the corner pile. Instead she saw tee shirts neatly folded on top of his dresser and the jeans on hangers in the opened closet. ‘My God what is going on?’ She thought as she felt the waist band of the jeans. Not one of them had a size tag. ‘It could be Wranglers took a page from Hanes’ book and have gone tag less.’ She shrugged and went to bed.

In the morning a shocked Devon stood before the mirror looking at his reflection. His stomach has lost little over the past few days. The fat remains there blocking his view of his feet. He sighs at a passing thought. ‘So I can’t see my feet, big deal. I can’t see my thing either. It sure is hard to miss my tits. They are not tits! They are fat residue left over from my weight loss. Keep telling your self that idiot. Those dark brown circles with big buttons, what do you think they are? The name is tits. Reach down and touch your thing if you can find it, go ahead I dare you.’ Devon started laughing saying out loud. “Now I am arguing with myself.”

He flushed looking into the mirror. His reverie was broken by the sound of a horn. ‘I wear misses size 8 jeans and have a-cups, can’t find my thing and am in love with a boy named Mark. I deny anything is wrong. Who am I kidding? But I have never been happier.’


Twenty-seven

Colin Duffy spent two days trying to hack into Marcus Bailey’s computer he needed information about the so called insertions. Duffy recalled the names of the people whose DNA he secured for Moss Industries. He does not know the names of the other four. Doctor Stanfield had said six bracelets were constructed to his knowledge. Duffy stared at the computer screen, ‘there could be more than six. Collins would know but he is not talking.’

Duffy paused to consider his night at the bar. He remembered Howie and Kim keeping score, ‘yes they agreed it was 2-1 meaning three insertions.’ He found a file named simply, Actions. It is a simple list containing only six names and dates. Colin wrote down the names noting two dates were listed on the line of one name, Gloria Marsh. The others, Erin Hopkins, Jeffery Aldis, Carl Bascome, Susan Parks and Wayne Jeffords noted only one date. ‘Aha, there are six. Are three from this list among those inserted? The question remains which three? They cannot be customers because I know who Hopkins and Marsh are. Why are there two dates following Marsh?’

Colin dug deeper into the files to find screen prints of newspaper articles for four of those six people. Again he considered, ‘why screen prints? Why not provide a link to the paper’s web story?’ He shrugged dismissing it as sensible because a screen print is permanent while newspapers may drop stories from their pages to preserve space. He was satisfied with that answer deciding to research each newspaper for more stories and follow up information. Duffy is particularly interested in Erin Hopkins because if Stanfield is correct it is Hopkins’ body where they intend to dispose of him. Duffy shut down the computer determined to research more after taking a break.

As he walked to Stanfield’s office for yet another physical the number six struck him. ‘Six, Kim and Howie were certain there were three. No one has been inserted into Hopkins. I know that for a fact her bracelet is in Bailey’s safe waiting for me.’ He froze as he considered. Aldis, Bascome, Parks and Jeffords and Marsh ‘Three of those were people inserted by Kim and Bemis.’

Stanfield stepped back after examining the cyst on Duffy’s back. “The good news is it has not grown. You are safe for now.” He smiled at Duffy, “Something is bothering you.”

Duffy replied, “Wilkins, Murphy and Wilsey are bothering me. You said they died after three insertions that means they went in nine times total. When adding my two that makes it eleven total. Do I have that right?”

Stanfield rubbed his chin starring at the ceiling as if the numbers were etched in the tiles. He turns to Duffy, “No I examined each of them being concerned with Wilsey’s sudden death. He went in three times the cysts simply went out of control rapidly. We thought nothing of the cysts as the men did not report them. With Murphy and Wilson they were contained after their third insertions. They were sent back for issues other than DNA. The first two missions were test runs. Wilson only gathered one DNA sample I believe. That means four DNA samples with your two we have a total of six. You said the techs claimed three insertions. The numbers do not add up. If you subtract three from six you have three. One of them is Hopkins where are the other two?”

Duffy considered Stanfield’s words proposing his own thoughts. “You say three including Hopkins proposing Hopkins may be a deal that fell through. As a back up they are toying with using Hopkins for me. That could happen only if I am sloppy enough to be caught by them. What have they got to target me? I have not done anything to target them.” He grins, “Until now that is.” Colin is not about to admit he was sent to steal a bracelet. He does not quite trust Stanfield enough to lay it all out. In Duffy’s business trust no one is the rule.

Colin continues with his line of thought. “I think when the government finds out what these guys are doing they won’t be happy. Bailey and Evans need an out; new identities are the perfect out. Neither one of them would want to live as Hopkins.”

Stanfield considers this for a moment. “Suppose you could be right. Think about what you said Murphy. The techs reported three insertions, you have six names. One of those names, Hopkins, is still waiting, we know that. Three insertions and six names, how do you explain that? What are you going to do, do you have a plan? Why are you even bothering with this? As you said it is nothing to you.”

Duffy widens his eyes, “Nothing to me? For some reason they determined me to be the enemy. Suppose for a moment they are behind those cyst. Let’s face it they cannot afford to have people walking around telling how they sold bodies. I can’t explain where the missing two insertions are either unless they are waiting payment. All we know is two more bracelets are out there. They are likely in the safe maybe waiting for the two perps.” Duffy smiles, “As for me I have only fragments of ideas bouncing around for now. I have to do some more digging then I may know how to deal with them. Try as I might I cannot see myself as Erin Hopkins.” Duffy opened the door telling Stanfield, “later.”


Twenty-eight

Four weeks have passed with Devon having received four stellar assessments from Bryant Academy. Joyce James sat across from her husband beaming with pride. “Clay it appears you are going to be paying our son for those classes.”

Mr. James peaked over his newspaper with a blank expression. “Joyce the kid does not want the money. He wants me to fork over ten grand a semester so he can go to that school. You know we can’t afford it. In addition to that they require uniforms and other expenses.” He drops his paper on the table with a worried expression. “I wish we could do it I have never seen him so happy. By the way where is he? It is almost ten pm.”

Joyce smiled, “He is out with Mark Curtis again. They seem to have hit it off and are good friends.”

Clayton grumbles, “The way he was acting before he went out I thought he was going on a date. It wouldn’t bother me so much if you said he was with Trish. How come he has not brought Mark around?”

Joyce raised a concerned look as it bothered her as well. She thought, ‘exactly like a date. It is not a date just like it’s not his clothes, his figure, the weight loss and his hair.’ Her brows narrowed on the thought of hair. ‘It is almost honey blond. I should try and get that doctor’s appointment moved up to an earlier date.’ She shrugged, ‘it is only a couple weeks away. Stop worrying Devon is finally blossoming.’

Mark had managed the rare coup of talking his father into letting him drive the car. He had a date with Devon and wanted it to be special. True they were only going to a movie but a guy needs a car to impress his girl. All through the movie they cuddled holding hands. Mark could have sworn he heard Devon purring. That must have been his imagination he decided. Mark fought off every urge to take risk. He certainly wanted to test the waters by accidentally brushing his hand against Devon’s breasts but did not. He respected her too much. Though, he did give his girl a passionate kiss when he brought her home. Mark managed to say “I love you” as she got out of the car. He swore heard her say the same. Poor Mark was in a daze all night. He hoped he did not imagine that.

The front door flew opened and it took three point two seconds for the girl’s foot to hit the stairs. “Devon called, “mom, dad, I’m home.”

He almost made the top step when he heard a booming voice belonging to dad. “Devon, come on down here now!”

It is a good thing it took less than a second to remove the bracelet. The Devon who went on the date was wearing his navy skirt and yellow blouse. The problem surfaced after dropping two steps toward downstairs. He felt the sudden exposure of air against his legs. Something had gone wrong, ‘my clothes did not change this time.’ In full panic Devon cried, “In just a minute,,,, bathroom”

The bathroom door opened with a rush. A panting Devon stepped out of his skirt quickly pulling a pair of jeans from the hamper. Pulling up the snug jeans he tossed his skirt into his open bedroom door, slammed it shut and ran down the stairs.

Joyce looks up obviously disturbed, “I did not hear the toilet flush.”

Devon stutters a quick, “I forgot. I will go get it.”

Mother shakes him off, “It can wait until you go upstairs to your room. Father wants to talk to you.”

Devon slides cautiously into a chair as far from his father as he could. He glances down at the floor. “Did I do something wrong?” Devon’s voice is soft almost quiet as he questioned his dad.

Clayton clears his throat. “You are a half hour late. This is not like you Devon.”

“I’m sorry dad the movie was longer than I expected.” Devon shifted his eyes toward mother.

Mr. James dismisses his son with a warning. “I will let you off this time but don’t let it happen again and call if you will be late. Now go to your room. You have school tomorrow.”

Devon managed two steps before his mother stopped him. “Devon,” her voice clearly shaken, “is that a girl’s blouse you are wearing?”

The boy blinked happy the blouse is a pull over, but sorry it has a scoop neck. He looked blankly at his mother trying to come up with something. “Mom,” again it is the elongated mooom offered by a typical teen girl. “I doubt it; I bought it at the boy’s department. It is the new style.”

Joyce looked doubtful wanting to bring up the issue of what appears to be budding breasts but decided it is late. She did not want to get into it now. “Go to bed we will talk tomorrow.”

The Devon half of this dual physicality is down to a twenty-four inch waist while adding two inches in height. He is now as tall as his female side. Boys are supposed to grow taller and five-feet seven is way better than five-feet five. What normally would be considered a big improvement becomes a matter of concern for the boy. Height is one thing but he has no way to explain the weight loss or his legs. It is those legs that terrify him. So much so he has set a no shorts rule. Even in the heat he sticks to jeans anytime he is at home. Devon stares at his legs in his mirror conflicted. He loves how they look knowing full well this is not supposed to love legs that look like this on him.

He picks up his skirt adding one more new garment to that bottom drawer. “It’s starting to get rather packed in that drawer. I should get rid of the clothes that no longer fit." He said aloud. Still regarding the mirror admiring his pretty self he calls on his ability to deny. His stomach is not the mass bulk of flab that has been source of all his troubles. It is still there, still bulged out though a mere fraction. When he looks down it still hides his feet but not completely. He can now see the front half but not his thing. As he got ready for bed Devon reached down there to discover it felt much smaller. He ignored it not wanting to think about it preferring to admire his hair and pouty lips.

Devon’s eyes fixed upon the reflection of more predominant bumps against his shirt. ‘This is not right they appear to be growing unless it is simply fat redistributed by my weight loss.’ Denial is beginning to take hold because even though the boy is well aware the bracelet is doing more than providing an illusionary girl he continues to use it. Devon has convinced himself completing summer school is the most important thing. Denial of the facts is necessary to justify his decision. ‘I never had friends before. I cannot lose Trish and Mark.’


Twenty-nine

Duffy found himself sitting in a corner booth at the Boundary once again providing beers for Kim and Howie. “Tell me guys what in hell is going on at your end of the building? It seems to be in full blown panic down there.”

Kim grins one of those conspiratorial eyes narrowed warning glances. He sticks a finger over his lips shaking his head. “Sorry but loose lips sink ships.”

Howie laughs setting his empty bottle on the table. “Barkeep another round” he shouts before poking his partner. “Every word out of your mouth is bullshit. This ain’t the freaking Navy. You can tell Duff here, it’s only Bolton freaking out over his bloody cameras.”

Duffy raises a brow upon hearing the word, cameras. Cameras are something that attracts his attention. “Cameras, what is the problem with cameras?” He raises his glass taking another drink.

Kim drains yet another brew, “You are right Howie, screw em.” It is Bolton he has been on Bailey’s ass bitching about the cameras for a couple weeks now. Bailey promised to replace them but Evans bitched about the expense. Bolton shut down insertions freaking over security. We sit there playing Free Cell all day. It’s nuts.”

Howie jumps in, “Kimmie’s got it right. The bloody cameras keep blanking out at random. You never know when one is going to go out. It started with the lab and has spread to our rooms. The crew has crawled all over them.”

“Christ,” Kim starts, “the pain in the ass had us climb up on ladders pulling down the blasted cameras to check the Goddamn capacitors. Do you know how small those fucking things are? There has got to be a hundred of them in the electronics. There was nothing wrong with any of them.”

Howie nods, “Yeah then we have to track down every electrical circuit in the camera system. I am so tired of crawling over miles of wire. Do you know how many there are?” He answered his own question, “One-hundred miles of wire.”

Duffy shakes his head, “No idea. You have to be exaggerating.”

Kim starts laughing, “Hell no so Bolton throws a fit. He tore out all the cameras in the west wing. He threw the bloody things in the crusher. Evans went nuts he is a bitch, should be wearing skirts. When Bolton told them you promised more cameras and did not deliver. Now you have to replace them all. The brass is pissed, they nearly fired Bolton. The new shipment will not be in for three days. It will be a week before installation is complete. Another thousand games of Free Cell for us. They have the fucking robots working double duty. You are likely to get shot if come to visit.”

Howie swallows another beer laughing again. “Duffy does not know how close he came to getting shot.”

Duffy orders another round as he heard Howie’s comment. “What are you talking about?”

Howie shrugs, “Bolton and Bailey thought you were messing with the cameras. Bailey was certain you were a spy. With the whole system going whacky they weren’t so sure. Bailey had a camera on your door. They recorded when you came in and went out. When Bolton discovered you were in your room while the cameras were freaking out it put you in the clear. There were no remotes or delays attached to any of the cameras so they knew it was just cheap junk equipment.”

Duffy smiled thinking, ‘so the ceiling access had them fooled. They weren’t bright enough to figure out the freaking control panel on the consoles allowed remote access. I guess I know where I am going to be spending my time doing research. Those random shut downs of mine proved to be beneficial.’


Thirty

Professor Wilkins Calls Reagan into his office for a meeting. The proctor is used to professors requesting she check up on students. This aspect of her job makes her uncomfortable though she accepts it is required of her. Reagan issues a cautious smile fearing the issue is one of her students is in difficulty. She wants to teach at Bryant when she graduates so Reagan strives to be helpful. “Yes, professor what is it you need?’

Wilkins recognizes her hesitancy and issues a warm smile. “There is nothing to worry about my dear. I need to know about my prized student.”

Reagan widens her brows surprised. She is relieved this is not about Debbie Smith. “Are you talking about Devon James, is there something wrong?”

“No, no my dear, tell me about her parents. What does Mr. James do for a living?”

Reagan draws defensive as her nature is to protect her kids. She cannot imagine what this is about. Cautiously she reports, “He is a district supervisor for a supper market chain. He has charge of forty stores in the tri state area.” She watches Wilkins’ expression for a hint before finishing. “He earns about 80k or so, enough to own a nice house. They are middle class and a solid family. Mr. And Mrs. James are involved with community projects.”

Wilkins shakes his head, disappointed over the income aspect but the rest is perfect. “The family cannot afford Bryant Academy tuition is what you are saying. I guess Devon is the winner then.” He laughs.

Reagan repeats what she heard, “Winner?”

The professors’ grin broadens. “We never talk about our summer project Miss Murphy. Surely you have figured out the pittance we charge for summer classes do not make a dent in the costs. This project provides the school an opportunity to offer something back to the community. In the process we have a unique advantage when evaluating candidates for scholarships and determining if applying students measure up.”

Reagan’s eyes scan the professor suddenly realizing this is great news for one of her favorite students. “Professor are you telling me what I think you are?”

Wilkins seeing the girl’s expectations grins. “You are one step ahead of me, Miss Murphy. Yes, Head Master Smithfield has given me the honor of picking this year’s winner of the Bishop endowment. In my mind Devon James is going to receive the full scholarship. As you know Adrian Bishop will pay full freight until the student graduates as long as Devon maintains a B average. I believe she can do that. She has made some excellent friends here. As you know both Patricia Clancy and Mark Curtis’ parents fully support the school. Devon has some influential friends and is brilliant student. I am not going to let her suffer South Hills any longer. Do you think the family will accept? We only have two weeks of school left so I have to decide.”

Reagan almost hugs the professor in her excitement. “I thought the Bishop Foundation supports minority students only. How do you get around that and what do you want me to do, anything?”

“Minorities yes but who determines what a minority is? I’m not about to deny the best student because she is white. That would be a decision based on race. We can’t have that. When you look at the income of our students, Devon’s family is certainly in the minority. My dear girl, I want you to discuss it with Devon’s parents to see if they agree and schedule a meeting for Friday August 9th after lunch.”

Reagan frowns, “I know Devon has a doctor’s appointment at that time. Can you make it later?”

Wilkins nods, “I’d like to but I have a full schedule.” He shrugs, “Never mind find out when they can meet and I will clear the time. Do you think four pm will be ok? If it makes it easier I will go to their house. They are not going to be allowed off the hook easily.”


Thirty-one

Mrs. James opened the front door stepping inside calling, “Devon are you home?” She had done this everyday all summer. Devon is not grounded for poor school performance and being forced into summer school. The parents simply insisted he come straight home so they can see he is ok. Mr. James had threatened to call the police because of the bullying. He went so far as to visit Mr. Carson warning if his son continued harassing Devon action would be taken. Carson laughed at him until Mr. James punched him in the nose. The bullying slowed down for a couple weeks then began again.

Suddenly, Joyce recalled Devon will not be home until three. He received permission to go to Mark’s house to work on a school project. Mrs. James’ exhaled slowly and poured herself a cup of tea. She no sooner sat when the phone rang.

“Joyce, I am glad your home.”

‘It is Mrs. Clayton’ Joyce thought, “Is something wrong with Devon?” She blurted out in response.

“No, everything is fine. I’m calling to ask you before I say anything to Dev. My husband has tickets for Friday night. I do not know if you are a fan or not. Trish and Dev certainly are. The hated Reds are in PNC Park and Ned has an extra ticket. The extra ticket is mine, I cannot go, issues with my son Kevin. I am too embarrassed to get into. I thought I’d ask if you’d let Devon go with Trish and her father. They won’t get back until late and we thought being a Friday night Devon could stay over.”

Joyce’s first reaction is to stall waiting to discuss this with his father. Then she thought, ‘seven weeks of straight A’s preceded by months of failing grades, Dev deserves this.’ “That is very kind of you certainly you can invite Devon. I will tell Clayton. He will not have any objections. We will be watching on TV. I am used to my husband watching the games and swearing as his team loses most of the time.”

Margaret Clayton laughed, “They are so good this year. Dare I say we may make the playoffs? Joyce it is long over due we have to meet face to face. We feel we are already friends. Dev talks about you all the time. Let’s get together for a cook out. What about the weekend school ends? Would you guys like to come over?”

Joyce beams, “I am sure we can clear our calendar. Thank you I am really looking forward to meeting you at last. You have been so kind driving Dev to and from school all summer.”

“That is no problem, Mrs. Curtis and I eventually agreed to divide it up. You know Trish, Dev and Mark are as thick as thieves. That is part of the problem I am having with Kevin. I tell him to get over it; you know how it is with teenagers.” Just then Margaret interrupted herself, “Kevin, I have had enough of this behavior.” Speaking into the phone again, Margaret addresses Joyce. “I’m sorry Joyce I have to attend to my son. I will call you later.” Margaret hung up leaving Mrs. James somewhat confused.

‘What did she mean tell him to get over it?’ Joyce shrugs, ‘yes I know what it means, teenagers!’ Mrs. James beamed pleased at the call happy her son has finally made friends and doing exceptionally well at school. ‘Clay will be happy to hear this news.’ She hardly lifted her cold cup of coffee when the phone rang again. “Hello?”

“Mrs. James this is Reagan Murphy. I do not know if Devon has mentioned me or not.”

“Ms Murphy, you are a household name around here. Devon absolutely raves about you. Is there a problem?”

“Heavens no, Mrs. James. Dev is a spectacular student. Professor Wilkins requested I call. He wants to know if you would be interested in having Devon attend Bryant full time this fall?”

Mrs. James, gasps. “Of course, we would love that. But it is too late to apply and we could not afford the twenty thousand per year. We are far from that income bracket.”

Reagan ponders how to frame her response. Her fear is insulting this woman by suggesting she consider requesting financial aide. “I am sworn to secrecy by Professor Wilkins. I can tell you no application is needed. There are no deadlines or filings required. Dev’s summer performance has the school drooling.” She giggled, “The application process is waived. The prof said something about money is of no concern. It won’t cost you anything to talk to him. I only need to know if you would like Dev to attend Bryant?”

Another gasp escapes mother’s mouth as she scrambles for something to say. ‘Devon would kill to attend Bryant. I cannot deny him this opportunity, if it is an opportunity.’ “Are you saying scholarship?” Joyce almost chokes on those words afraid of guessing wrong.

Reagan knows better but answers the question anyway. “I think that is a done deal if you want it. Believe me having graduated from Bryant and now working here, this school almost never invites anyone. Can you come by Friday the 9th?”

Thrilled, Mrs. James’s voice trembles. “That is hard; Dev has a physical at one-fifteen. I am supposed meet with the doctor after. That would be about two-fifteen. I do not see how we could get home until three or later. That would depend on what the doctor finds and how long we meet. Will another day work?”

Reagan jumped right in. Professor Wilkins said he will be happy to meet you at your home. Say four pm, is that ok with you?”

Joyce almost jumped for joy upon hearing Reagan’s answer. “Perfect we will certainly be home at that time. My husband does not know it yet but he will be leaving work early. Can you attend Ms. Murphy?”

Reagan thought about the invitation before answering. “That would be quite unusual it is not something the school has done in the past. If Professor Wilkins okays it I will be there. Oh please not a word to Devon.”

Joyce sat trembling drinking her coffee not noticing it is cold. ‘My God this might be a dream come true for Devon’ The good news for Devon is his mother is spaced out pondering her good fortune praying it come fruition. She did not notice Mrs. Curtis’ car pull up front. Nor did she see Mark walk the son to the door and kiss him before he entered the foyer.

“Is that you Dev?” Joyce calls from the kitchen table. “Come on down I have something to talk to you about.”


Thirty-two

At two in the morning armed with information learned through generous applications of beer, Duffy lowers himself into Bob Collins’ lab. There is an essential piece of information he knows has to be hidden somewhere in Collins’ records. Colin knows any piece of equipment must have schematic drawings. Who better to have them than the designer? The bracelets hold vital secrets Duffy must discover if he is to survive. ‘What holds the DNA to the bracelet and how is it distributed?’ Colin raised the million dollar question internally.

Duffy photographs the diagram having found it printed in a manual that is not hidden at all. ‘Hmm it appears the crystals are connected by a fine thread of wire running along the base of the bracelet. Crack the filament at any point and the unit fails. According to notes Collins scratched on the bottom of the sheet the DNA is placed in that small oval depression. It feeds through the crystals following a channel pooling in depressions under each crystal. Each crystal has a small retracted pin that pokes through the bottom of the bracelet. It punctures the skin at programmed time intervals injecting DNA as it flows through. When the level lowers a small plastic flange falls into the stream sealing off the crystals in a left to right order.’

Colin studies the diagram tracing the DNA flow path along the filament. ‘If I understand this, if the filament breaks there is nothing to contain the DNA. It effectively spills out. So that’s what Dale thought when I switched the bracelet with the one containing Marsh’s DNA. A broken filament spilled the DNA. What happened to the one I gave Moss? They claim they did not get it. Are they lying or did Dale recover it?’ Duffy ponders this question, ‘it is not like Moss to let it go even if they had recovered their money. If Dale intercepted it they would not have inserted me to get a second DNA sample. Where did it go? Is there a second Gloria Marsh running around?’

A socket resembling a miniature USB port is discovered near the center of the bracelet. The designation is written simply as insertion port. ‘That is where they connect to transmit people into their hosts. Agents must be waiting on the other side to dispose of the dead body when the replacement shows. How did Collins figure out remote insertion bypassing the techs?’

Another half hour of searching found Collins’ modification drawing. The new schematic simply revealed the mini USB port was replaced with a network wireless connector. Push a button and you receive instant transmission. Duffy also noticed the modifications removed the time lapsed crystal insertions eliminating an ability for clients to test run sampling what they will look like. ‘The modification allows them to ambush somebody bypassing the insertion unit, but why? They must be planning an unrecorded insertion or to make a quick escape. Now to grab a couple mini Allen wrenches so I can have some fun.’

Colin read and reread the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report on Erin Hopkins. The story told how a college senior was found in her apartment comatose from a drug overdose. No sign of foul play had been uncovered. The police are satisfied she simply got careless with her drug habit. No follow up stories were reported. Other than her being at Allegheny General nothing else is reported. Nothing told of her pregnancy or being moved to Georgia. The story was buried in the third section of the paper.

Even more telling is the notice about Gloria Marsh’s accident. The Enid News and Eagle reported on June 4th Oklahoma teenagers named Luke Chase and Gloria Marsh were killed as Chase’s vehicle was struck by a truck. Duffy recalled, ‘Marsh is the girl who I visited for a second sample. But I did not go there until much later in the month.’ He narrowed his brows continuing to search the newspaper site.

Duffy is floored when he read the newspaper account on the internet. According to what is present day news the June 4 story now claims that Chase was killed but not Marsh. The paper read, ‘A teenaged girl named Gloria Marsh narrowly avoided serious injury having exited the Chase vehicle moments before the collision. The driver of the truck, Otis Stemple was also killed. Ms. Marsh was taken to the hospital suffering shock but appeared to not be in any danger.’

Duffy considered this still troubled by the how. It is impossible enough to accept they can insert someone into another body. That in itself will freak anybody out. How can they pull this off? Duffy opened another beer taking a long drink. When he looked at his notes his eyes flew open and he downed the entire can in a single swallow. ‘Holy fucking shit!’ Duffy’s notes revealed it was on June 12th that he took Gloria Marsh’s DNA the first time. It was June 14th when he dropped off the bracelet for Moss. It was June 15th when he got the second sample. ‘How in hell did they pull this off? After I got the DNA sample the story changed. Wait the dates I acquired her DNA samples are the dates written in the file. So those dates in the list suddenly have meaning. I had forgotten all about the differential in dates.'

Colin discovered the same thing is true of two others on the list. The screen prints of news stories changed. Duffy studies the screen trying to process what he sees. In the case of Susan Parks there is no story of her death. The real time issues on the internet do not report her death at all. It is like the event never happened. The same is true regarding Wayne Jeffords no real time story appears. Again, the initial story reports their deaths and after Bailey and Evans’ insertions real time stories do not exist. The accidents never happened. He is too terrified considering the implications of what he discovered. There were no screen prints for Jeffery Aldis and Carl Bascome. It seems they are being held in reserve waiting for something to happen.

The implications of this struck Duffy. ‘Three stories changed and we have three documented insertions. Now I know which ones were replaced. One has not changed, Hopkins and I know why. I think I know why there is no mention at all about the other two. I need to figure out the time problem.’ He drank another beer then another and one more for good measure then went to sleep.


Thirty-three

A happy Devon went up to his room after mother told him about the ball game. How good is it to get to see your favorite major league team in a pennant race? He sat on the edge of his bed basking in expectations until reality hit. As per his rule Devon is wearing jeans wishing with all his might he could put on a pair of shorts. Better yet he could wear that new simply rad skirt the bracelet produced this morning. It is simply dying to be worn. Any astute witness could see by Devon’s sparkle those were his thoughts. The kid’s glistening eyes betrayed his thoughts by how he stared at his open bottom drawer while his fingers caressed the material.

Retreating toward his bed having closed the offending drawer Devon sat. He flipped the bracelet absently in his hands almost afraid to look at the crystals. The third one lost its light and is now clear like the first two. it happened this morning right after he clasped it to his now thin wrist. The awesome skirt simply owned his legs. His gaze shifted from leg to wrists when he saw it. Another light flickered then died. The third crystal became clear glass like the first two. Devon’s response reactively was to strip off the skirt flinging it into the corner. It happened so quickly and once stripped he noticed beyond all horrors his thing is gone.

Yes, Devon can finally see his feet and all lying in between. Not only is he now the same height as his other self their weight is the same. He stared as long as he could at his nether region only to discover a small bump. That was this morning before school. Before he realized for the second time when removing the bracelet almost no change occurred. Out of fear to feed his denial he put on her jeans. They fit his body perfectly. The camisole he put on was one of those silky things belonging to her. It fit the old him perfectly. The boy Devon presented the same profile his female half posed. That is when he sat on his bed crying. That is when he could hear Mrs. Curtis’ horn blowing. That is when he put the bracelet back on hoping something different would appear.

Now, hours later looking at the mirror in the late afternoon his beefy tee is not hiding those prominent a-plus cups. ‘I need bigger tees, yeah like that will work. With my loss of weight and missing belly these shirts fit like a dress.’ Bigger cannot be better though they are not as prominent as Devon imagines. A prosperous event like what is happening to Devon would make even the smallest mammary appear huge. ‘Another week and a half to go and I can ditch the bracelet. I think it is already too late. I might as well keep using it how bad can things get? I already have to sit down to pee.’ Denial commands the boy’s thoughts as he processes his current circumstances.

Devon stood in front of the mirror checking himself out. ‘I love how I look no matter what this has been worth the cost.’ Then without warning his mood changed. ‘Mom and dad are already freaking out. How do I get past the doctor and convince my parents nothing is wrong? How can I go down to dinner expecting no one to notice?’

Mrs. James served dinner at a slow pace being distracted by her son’s appearance. Clayton James noticed his wife’s odd glances. He did not say anything as he too is looking at Devon. They ate mostly is silence, a silence that is hard on the boy. Several times as Devon caught the questioning stares he half turned, hunched his shoulders or raised his arms reflexively to shield view of those cups.

Clayton could not hold it in any longer. “So Dev you are going to the ball game with your girl friend. Her father must like you to bring you to the game with Trish.” Dad’s expression betrayed a level of pride as if to say “Attaboy.”

Devon nearly dropped his fork as she turned to face dad. ‘He thinks Trish is my girl friend. She is my best friend and yeah she is a girl but girl friend in a romantic way. How gross is that? A boy is supposed to like a girl in that way. What is wrong with me?’ Then it hit him not to say anything especially not to bring up Mark. Devon simply blushed causing his father to smile again thinking he is right.

Joyce watched this exchange thinking it cute but somehow wrong. She diverted the conversation by asking Devon a question that bothered her all day. It was something Trish’s mother had said. ‘What did she mean, tell him to get over it?’ That thought had rattled around in her head all day. “Dev do you know what Trish’s brother Kevin did to get in trouble? Mrs. Clancy said her husband invited you to go to the game because of something Kevin did. She is not going so she can stay home with her son.”

Devon wanted to run out of the room screaming. He could feel his face begin to redden. Stalling he said, “She did not tell you mom? I was wondering myself and did not get a chance to talk to Trish to find out.”

Mrs. James shook her head, “No she did not. I was curious wondering if you knew.”

Devon shrugged calling up a memory from when he spent the weekend at the sleepover. Kevin trapped him in the upstairs hall and tried to kiss him. Dev had stepped back saying, “Leave me alone Kevin.” His mother had just come up the stairs catching her son. Kevin was grounded for the rest of the weekend. Devon almost freaked begging Mrs. Clancy not to tell his mom. He could not tell why his mom would go nuts. Devon is terrified Mrs. Clancy will spill the beans. Mrs. Clancy said she understood assuring she knew it was not Devon’s fault. Following the shrug Devon reinforced his earlier answer, “I have no idea mom. Trish did not tell me. May I be excused; I have a lot of studying to do?” Devon begged to escape what he felt is an inquisition.”

Clayton nodded his assent watching his son walk to the stairs. ‘When did he develop that wiggle?’ Dad blinked suddenly feeling uncomfortable. It is a presentation not gone unnoticed by his wife.

“Dear,” Joyce began, “I got the strangest call today from Reagan Murphy.”

Mr. James offered a quizzical gaze, “Who?”

“She is Devon’s proctor at Bryant Academy. A fancy school has to assign an impressive name to a tutor. They do things like that. This is going to surprise you; no Devon is not in trouble. It is quite the opposite. I need you to be home by four o’clock on the ninth.” She watched her husband’s brows raise as the man is about to speak. She cut him off with rapid fire questions of her own. “What did you think when you found out Devon had to attend summer school or be held behind? What was your reaction when you heard he was assigned to Bryant? You never spoke about it and I know you always have an opinion.”

Clay cleared his throat surprised at his wife’s raising the issue. He spoke softly not wanting his voice to carry upstairs. “I was pissed off at the kid for screwing up the entire year. I was angry I had to spend the money and find transportation for him. I thought Bryant would escalate the bullying and eat him up in the classroom. Because everyone there is rich and the work would be more difficult. There was no way he could keep up in that school.” Clayton flushes, “I was wrong.”

Joyce grinned, “Be prepared to be floored. Miss Murphy said Professor Wilkins will come to the house. He wants to meet us to discuss Devon.” Clayton raises a brow again about to speak but Joyce holds her hand up. “Professor Wilkins wants to know if we will accept a full scholarship for Devon to attend Bryant full Time. It is a three year offer if he can maintain his grades. They made me promise not to say anything to Devon. I am almost bursting.”

Mr. James opened his mouth you could almost see the dollar signs fly out. “For three years that is sixty thousand dollars! My God this is wonderful. I will be here that is for sure.” Clayton sat dazed staring at his opened newspaper. “What about his wiggle?” He muttered those words believing no one heard.

Joyce stopped clearing the table sitting abruptly. “You noticed that, I am surprised. Did you see his breasts as well?” There is a note of sarcasm in her tone. ‘Clayton never notices anything that matters.’ She thought.

The newspaper fell with a thud onto the table. That is if a paper dropped a few inches could make a loud noise. In this case tension is raised to a level where everything is heightened. “Joyce! Don’t be ridiculous. The boy does not have breasts. He has lost so much weight in his mid section his chest has not tightened as much. The flabby tissue remaining on his chest simply appears to be breasts. He needs to work out a bit, that’s all. I noticed and looked up information on the internet.”

Mrs. James’ eyes widened hearing her husband’s rationalization not buying it. She knows, like all women do, what breasts look like. “Clay, next you will be telling me those legs of his, appearing movie star quality beautiful are my imagination as well. Have you noticed the boy will not wear shorts? The only thing saving him from a 911 call is the appointment next week with Doctor Balmgartner.”

Clayton James reaches for his newspaper his gazed fixed on his wife. “Yes dear my son has breasts walks with a girlish wiggle and has great legs. It’s every father’s dream. Let’s wait for the doctor’s report before freaking out. I will focus on those straight A’s, a sixty-thousand dollar scholarship and his scoring a very pretty girlfriend.” He puts his paper down, winks kissing his wife’s cheek.


Thirty-four

Duffy sat in his room satisfied reviewing newspaper reports he had copied from Bailey and Evans’ computers. He marveled at how resourceful these two were. He could not figure out how they could manage to locate people who died and then insert customers at the moment of death. It had to be done almost instantaneously for the switch to work. ‘That is impossible. They cannot steal DNA then insert it into even a premade bracelet. There is no time, unless the bastards are the ones doing the killing. I doubt that is the case. It is too complicated. There is more research for my to do list. Speaking about time I have little of it left. The cameras will be functional in another day or so.’

Colin spoke to his drinking buddies the evening before. Liberal doses of Iron City beer lubricated the vocal cords. He learned corporate paranoia targeted the research labs and the tech sections. The boss’s offices were of lower priority to the Security chief. They expected to finish the lab cameras last evening and the insertion rooms will be secured the next day. Tomorrow Bailey and Evan’s office will be renovated. ‘It is now or never,’ Duffy thought.

One more adventure through the rafters and his tasks would be completed. That is in regard to information gathering and this sabotage mission. Colin dropped through yet one more ceiling tile to face Bailey’s safe. There was one problem Duffy could hear a familiar metallic clunk. That sickening sound could emanate from only one source, killer robots. ‘The bastards brought in robots. I should have known they would pull something like this.’ As the sound drew closer he could see the frontal metal scoop housed on the lower front of the robot. It served as a bumper. A robot turned a corner entering the room just as Colin swept his legs above the ceiling tile.

Colin laid face down peering through the open tile grateful the robots did not have the ability to look upward. Their eye movement or sweep extended left or right as their tops could not swivel up or down beyond a few meters. They are sound and motion activated directing their sensors toward any noise or movement. The electronic eyes transmitted the source to a processor to calculate weight and mass. The sum then determined appropriate force required to terminate the target. Movements by these glorified shop vacs were straight ahead. They swept a room taking square corners at each turn. The blocky movement may allow a fast moving prey to avoid the laser. It is a game Colin did not want to play.

Duffy watched as the bot went straight to the corner turned right continued straight to the next corner turning right again. It repeated its movements eventually exiting the room. Duffy knew the straight line crawl may appear easy to avoid but that is far from true. The beast could stop to turn its laser in a moments notice. He also knew it would be back too quickly disallowing time to drop, open the safe, remove the contents then reach the ceiling before Robby returns. His one hope is to position himself to be in direct line with the machine. In that way he can deactivate it with his remote from above. Colin waited and waited some more.

The clunky whirling shop vac sound grew louder. Colin knew he had one shot. If he missed another tedious wait will be forced. His beam of light fired fast and true making a direct hit. The machine stopped cold next to a desk. Colin selected a square of floor not in line with the bot, ‘just in case.’ The plan is to remove Erin Hopkins’ bracelet replacing it with the dud he carried. Dealing with Bailey and Evans’ bracelets will require time, creativity and a lot of luck.

Duffy held Erin’s bracelet in his hand ready to make the switch when a very bad idea struck. Instead of simply switching bracelets he paused. Colin reached for the Allen wrenches finding the correct size. With a few twists he opened the bracelet. Employing a stealth flip Colin cracked the filament wire to view the DNA. It did not appear to evaporate as he expected. A jell like liquid slid from the depression like a slithering worm. As it did so it changed forming a gas like element. ‘Just like science class.’ He mused. Duffy opened the dud to remove four tiny metal flanges separating the crystals. A tiny depression is under each forming a holding place for a portion of DNA. ‘This is where the time capsule effect takes place.’

Colin recalled the schematic of the modified bracelet understanding the adjustment he must make to this unit. ‘The modified bracelets lack these flanges. Collins’ modification created a free flow of DNA preventing the time lapse gradual changes to the wearer. Instead of four crystals dispersing timed released injections to provide gradual changes activation of the USB unit injects the user with the full dosage creating instant transition. Replacing the four flanges defeats this action. It will not work without the DNA but who knows the result if someone activates the bracelet without DNA?’

Duffy replaced four flanges it in the slots next to the crystals. He then left the USB connector alone. ‘It helps to be paranoid. Bailey and Evans can still activate instant change. Without DNA and the blocked flow all they should receive is a dosage of air. I wonder what that will do?’ He thought. Colin slipped the dud in his pocket leaving Erin’s in the safe. ‘I have a bracelet able to create instant change with no DNA. In other words I am screwed. What did you do to yourself Duffy?

After he did the same to the other two bracelets Duffy copied some documents with his cell phone camera then scampered into the duct work. Once reactivating the robot he crawled back toward his room. ‘I just did something incredibly stupid by leaving Erin’s bracelet I might have sealed my doom.’

He sat back with his feet up drinking a beer when his cell rang. Duffy long ago figured out the company is monitoring the cell phones they gave workers. He had purchased one of those throwaways that are untraceable to use because of this. The caller id reported his old friend Jake Cowens is calling back.

Jake works for the Treasury Department. He and Duffy spent many weeks and months working together when Colin was an active agent. Duffy picked up the phone, “Jake?”

“Duff, how are you doing? I want to thank you for the tip. This bust is a feather in my cap. I feel a promotion coming on and I just had to thank you. Buddy I don’t want to bore you with the details. You should just turn on Fox News they are having a field day. I owe you a favor.”

While Jake held the line open, Duffy turned up his TV and began laughing. “Jake you can do me a favor. I have two names I like to think of them as persons of interest. Jeffery Aldis and Carl Bascome, see what you can find out for me. I can’t tell you what I’m working on but it is something wild. Watch your e-mail an encrypted packet is on the way. I will meet you on Friday night, nine pm at the Bow Tie in PNC Park.” Duffy redacted the identities of the three inserted people. He did not have the heart to destroy the lives of the family in Oklahoma. ‘Let them have their teenaged daughter and if the old lady can adapt more power to her. I shudder to think what the Feds will do if they go after those people. As near as I can tell the others only figured out a way to live longer. There is enough here to cause Bailey, Evans and Collins plenty of pain. It should keep Treasury busy for awhile.’

Duffy watched television to see Treasury agents marching Nathan Moss and Benton Kay on a perp walk wearing hand cuffs. The news story showed Jake Cowens read the charges of extortion, corporate espionage, tax evasion and possible national security leaks. Duffy smiled feeling not the least bit guilty for planting damning evidence onto their computers. ‘There are two down and many more to follow.’


Thirty-five

Devon paced in his room fretting over what to wear to the ball game. He needed to appear girlish enough to satisfy Mr. Clancy and Trish while boyish enough to not raise his parent’s suspicions. He put the bracelet on to discover no magical change of clothing appeared. ‘I must have used up the clothing allotment. That’s ok as there is no more room in my dresser. The problem is if it is a problem, those clothes fit both versions of me.’

The boy intended to wait in his room for Mr. Clancy to blow the horn. ‘The game starts at seven so he should be here around six.’ Devon’s calculation will prove to be off just a bit. Once again he dressed in jeans, the boot cut ones not the skin tight style donated by the bracelet. Those jeans are certain to cause a problem. He also knew skinny jeans were not the favorite of Mrs. Clancy. Satisfied he solved the first hurdle, he dug out one of his old shirts. A black and gold synthetic one with the number 21 embossed on the back. The Pirate emblem prominent on the front sat over the pocket area with the team name across the chest. Clemente of course, is written on the back above the now retired legendary number. Devon never had seen the Great One play ball beyond dated 35 millimeter film. But he knew every stat and heroic deed accomplished by his idol. The boy topped of his look with a team ball cap. ‘The cap is required gear and hides my hair. This should work.’ It goes without saying the shirt that once fit a one-hundred-sixty pound five-feet-five inch boy swims on a barely one-hundred-ten pound taller girl. ‘Plenty of loose material to hide the girls,’ Devon thought.

Ned Clancy did not subscribe to Devon’s belief that he park in front of the house blowing a horn. He is a father of a teenaged girl himself and fully understands the rule. Mr. Clancy firmly believes any boy who dates his daughter knocks on the door. That boy will introduce himself and be held to father’s scrutiny. This will be done for each date. There will be no horn blowing followed by his daughter running out the door. Ned will have none of this when he allows, if ever, his daughter to date. When the door opened Ned smiled at the man answering. “Hello I’m Ned Clancy; this is my daughter, Patricia.”

Clayton James extended his hand firmly shaking with it. He viewed the polite man at his door. ‘A firm grip this fellow presents, I like that.’ “Mr. Clancy, come in I am pleased to meet you. This must be the lovely Trish we have heard so much about.” He steps aside as Joyce presses forward with her own greeting.

“Please sit down,” Joyce begins pointing to the sofa. “You are earlier than I expected. I will call Devon.” She calls up the stairs. “Dev, Mr. Clancy and Patricia are here.”

Ned and Trish sit on the sofa opposite Devon’s parents. Small talk is exchanged each taking the measure of the other. Ned answers Joyce’s comment about the time. “Yes we thought if we got there early we could eat at the ballpark. It is not like the old days they now have restaurants with real food.” He chuckled noticing an, ‘oh dad’ expression from his daughter.

Joyce nodded her understanding. “I was just about to put dinner on the table. Would you like to join us?”

Trish shook her head, “No thank you Mrs. James. Dev and I have been dreaming of those great burgers and onion rings at the ball park.”

Her father tosses her a glance sort of a warning. “It is nice of you Mrs. James but we should get going, traffic and all that.”

Clayton reaches for his wallet. “May I give you the price of Devon’s ticket. It is nice enough of you to provide a ride and all. You cannot be expected to bare the expense of a ticket.”

Ned declines, “No bother we have season tickets for the family. If we don’t use them they go to waste. That happens often enough. Margaret is not a great fan and often stays home. It is Trish and Kevin who love the games.”

Joyce is dying to ask what did Kevin do but she knew better. It is none of her business if he wants to say fine if not that is fine too instead she blurts something else. “What is holding up Devon? Dev come down here you are holding up your guests.”

Ned smiles inwardly, hearing Mrs. James. ‘It is universal with all girls. Take your time make sure everything is perfect. We can’t go out without every hair in place.’ He nods to Mrs. James, “That is ok I thought Trish would never finish everything must be in place.”

The girl poked her father, “aw dad.”

Devon heard his mother as her voice broke through his worried thoughts. The boy is in a sweat fearing conversation terrified a pronoun is about to break out. His plan was to run down the stairs and yell c-ya before escaping through the door. That is blown now and he yields slowly walking down the stairs. Trish upon seeing Devon rushed over giving her friend a warm hug.

Clayton upon seeing Trish’s excitement, smiles. ‘Devon can deny having a girlfriend all he wants. The young lady just let the cat out of the bag. I have to hand it to Devon she is a very pretty girl and well mannered.’

Mrs. James watched as the parties reached for the door. “Mr. Clancy don’t worry about the time. We will be watching the game so we know when it ends.”

Ned widened his eyes, “We plan to come, straight home. I will call if anything changes. In fact I will call when we leave the parking lot. Please, call me Ned we are friends.”

Both Joyce and Clayton responded in a single voice agreeing first names are welcomed. They watched the car leave before turning on the TV. “What is Devon hiding?” Joyce asked her husband.

Clay blinked, “What are you talking about?”

“The shirt it is bigger than a tent. Why wear that unless you are hiding something?”

Clay grumbled, “Joyce the shirt is a memento of his favorite ball player. It is the only one he has. Did you see the hug his girlfriend gave him? Next you will be questioning if our son is a lesbian.”


Thirty-six

Duffy sat in a corner by the rail. He had a full view of the below the clear glass windows. He drank a beer slowly waiting for Jake. It is close to nine and the game is entering the bottom of the seventh inning. He had to admit he is enjoying the action. He saw a shadow reflected in the glass then heard a voice.

“It appears that young fellow Locke is tossing yet another gem. Seven innings completed with only one hit and no runs, against one of the best hitting teams in the league.” Jake Cowens is heard to say. The man continues, “It is almost as interesting as that file you sent me.”

By now Duffy had turned to face his friend. “I thought you would like it. The stuff should keep you guys busy. It seems NSA is getting quite aggressive and their minions are guilty of several national security violations.”

“Uh, Duffy you are no longer active and do not have security clearance. Can you explain how you inserted yourself inside this project?” Jake fumbles knowing it is a delicate question.

“You are quite correct, I do not have clearance. I was hired by Moss to secure a prototype of the product developed by Dale Laboratories. I had no idea Dale is a front for the NSA. I applied for a job to poke around. They had me gathering DNA samples and suddenly things did not add up. I managed to get my hands on one of their bracelets. That is what Moss wanted. The problem is Moss claims it was not at the drop. I heard their agents drive up mere seconds after I made the deposit. I got curious, instead of leaving I wanted to know who got the bracelet. Either moss lied to avoid paying me or Dale intercepted it. Knowing who they are if they had I would not still be walking around.”

Jake grins, “That’s for sure these guys are heavy hitters.”

“In the process I discovered Bailey and Evans were running their own game selling the government’s product. They secreted about fifty million. You have the account numbers. What I haven’t figured out is who those two names I gave you are and how they shift time.” Duffy went on to explain the screen prints and the change in the news stories. “It is not possible without time travel or major newspapers faking stories. What can you tell me?”

Jake, now sitting appears in deep thought as if trying to process how much he can say. Suddenly the noise level rises and the crowd is standing and cheering. The radio broadcasts is heard in the room. It was on going but few listen as personal conversations generally take prescedence.

The announcer can be heard yelling, “Clear the decks cannonball coming. G.I. Jones just hit one into the stands below the Bow Tie Rest. Pirates 3 Reds 0.” The excitement demands all attention and the two men can hardly hear other.

Duffy’s reaction is to watch the replay on the gigantic video screen. He sees the ball launched into the stands below him and a man catch it on the bounce. He leans over to the row ahead of him handing it to a girl. Duffy thinks nothing of it and turns back to Jake as this quiets down.

“I can tell this much the two you wanted to know about do not exist. That is not quite accurate, they do on paper. Those account numbers you gave me for Bailey and Evans are in the names of Jeffery Aldis and Carl Bascome. They both bought Villas in the Med, south of Madrid. What does that tell you Duffy?”

“The easy answer is Bailey and Evans had two modified bracelets with somebody’s DNA and proper identification to make their escape. What if, the DNA is their own? The claim is they can adjust it creating the age required for their usage. A younger version on themselves with new ID and piles of money will fit nicely into those villas. That means Collins has to be involved. Bailey and Evans could not do that by themselves. You have not mentioned the time travel question.” Duffy stares at Jake trying to will an answer.

Cowens is walking on thin ice he can only say so much. Duffy is a friend who boosted his career with the Moss information. He has just exposed national security crimes saving the government a major embarrassment. Jake exhales dramatically. “I do not have the details but a contact in NSA confirmed they cracked partial time travel. They can only go back three months. I don’t need to tell you this goes no further and there is no hard evidence to offer. One more thing, Bailey and Evans along with Collins and Bolton are at a meeting in the home office. They won’t be returning. Just so you know they don’t exist. You know how sanctions work. Stanfield, you will love this. He is the guy who developed the toxin. The plan included a neat way to get rid of agents. Not to worry Stanfield had an accident. None of this will be in the news. Your friends, the beer drinkers are cleaning the place up. They should be done in another week and no one has ever heard of Colin Duffy.”

Duffy turned pale knowing his time is limited. “How long have I got?” He generated all the strength he could muster to ask that question. The heat rose in the back of his neck.

Jake could see his reaction having witnessed this before. “I need that bracelet in your pocket. About three weeks according to the experts.”

Colin blinked, he knows the bracelet is worthless to him absent of DNA it cannot effect any changes. Without a word he hands it over to his friend. Jake said something Colin barely heard. He turned to see no one there other than the crowd watching the game.

Jake’s words hung in the air “Enjoy the rest of the game.”

Not caring that the Pirates won 3-0 Duffy shut everything down. That is until he saw the replay on the giant screen. The kid holding the home run ball looked familiar. “God, the second Gloria Marsh.”

Duffy scanned the crowd trying to find the kid. He knew they sat right below him in the front row. They were gone now. He shrugged, ‘what does it matter? I am dead in three weeks. Those who did it paid the price. I may as well enjoy the time I have left.’


Thirty-seven

Devon arrived home carrying his prize the home run ball hit by his new hero G.I. Jones. Mr. Clancy must have had some kind of in with the team. He managed a meeting for Devon with the ball player who not only signed the ball but offered a new shirt with his favorite player’s name and number. Devon wanted to say Andrew but he did not. Instead he quickly said, “I’d like number forty-six.”

The player smiled having access to a supply of shirts with his own name and number. Garrett Jones handed Devon a girl’s large understanding Devon liked his shirts big. “Devon, I know you like Cutch so you could ask for one of Andrew’s shirts without hurting my feelings.”

Devon blushed knowing he could have made that request but this guy is a hunk. “I think I have a new favorite player now.” That is all he could think to say.

All the way home, Trish teased her friend. “You absolutely wear that shirt to school on Monday.”

Devon’s parents were excited to learn Devon had a great time and he had the autographed home run ball. Clay smiled broadly hearing the story. “You mean Garrett Jones in person and he gave you that shirt? Wow! That is certainly exciting now go try it on I have to see it.”

Mother is no help encouraging Devon to do exactly as father request. The boy stands in front of the mirror viewing his bumps pressed against his new shirt. Once again it is important to say they were hardly noticeable. To the boy they appeared as twin peaks. ‘I may as well go down they are going to figure this out at some point.’

Devon’s parents admired the shirt. Mrs. James felt the material ordering Devon to do a slow turnaround. Devon dreaded the close inspection as mother checked whatever she is checking for. She finally steps back. “Well Devon that is a quality shirt.”

Dad interrupts his wife, "It ought to be. Do you know what they cost?” he asked as he checked the label.

Mrs. James having no idea comments, “Twenty-five bucks. You know they charge outrageous prices at places like that.”

Father says, “Try one-hundred according to the label this is the same shirt the team wears. Not a facsimile. Besides, Jones autographed it by hand. It is right here written on the number four.” He notices his son’s surprised expression. “Didn’t you know that Dev? Take your shirt off and look at it.”

Devon blushed he cannot take that shirt off. Not only will his breasts become obvious but just in case they do not notice his bra will certainly tip them off. Yeah he is wearing a bra because it is necessary. It was a parting gift from the bracelet. Devon shakes his head. “I already looked at it dad. I watched him sign it.” He lied, and ran up the stairs.


Thirty-eight

It is early-August. Colin is shaken not only is his belief that time travel is involved confirmed He knows his time is almost finished. He again viewed the Tribune-Review article determining it to be written on June 16th. Duffy went to the internet to verify the article remains on the paper’s website unaltered. Frustrated with his inability to resolve his conflict, Duffy made a critical life altering decision placing himself at great risk. That decision was made a week earlier when he did not take Erin’s bracelet.

At three am he crawled through the ceiling duct works coming to a stop above the insertion room. He could see both Howie and Kim sleeping at their consoles as he knew they would. Duffy had spiked their coffee with liberal doses of sleeping tablets. He used his remote to blind the camera knowing security would notice a slight blink. He laughed considering the hyper Bolton will go nuts when he finds his new cameras when on the blink again. That is would have gone nuts if only he survived Cowens’ intervention. He set his round trip to return him to the room at a point in time a minute after he left. ‘Playing with time can certainly raise hell.’ He thought as he dropped through the ceiling.

He set the insertion process to allow entry to the hospital room five minutes in time later than he had on his first trip. He needed to undo an action taken on the initial mission. Duffy looked closely at Erin’s neck removing the implant he had placed in the young woman’s ear. Returning to the insertion room Duffy made a quick turn around.

Duffy found himself in front of Erin Hopkins’ apartment just off the university campus one hour before the girl supposedly shot herself up. He watched from a darkened corner to see Phil Perkins enter Erin’s apartment. It did not surprise him to see Perkins slip Erin a date rape drug. When he was through with repeatedly violating the drugged girl he injected her with something else. Duffy found the urge to kill this bastard almost impossible to control. He held firm knowing he must understand what happened. He is relieved this young girl did not try to kill herself because she got pregnant. She did not overdose by accident either. She was murdered. The news reports got it wrong. Duffy knew at once he made the right decision. He could feel the cyst growing and knew he must hurry.

In a flash Duffy reappeared in the lab. Both Kim and Howie remained asleep. It was less than a minute from the time he first entered. Without wasting a second he reappeared on campus one hour earlier than his previous visit. He waited in a dark neighborhood park watching Perkins appear. Duffy’s stun gun instantly dropped his target. Colin dearly wanted to punish this prick in a painful manner. His rage is nearly uncontrollable. ‘I must control myself there can be no mistake this pos did himself.’ Duffy quickly injected Perkins’ entire supply of drugs into the creep adding a mixture of his own. It is a blend of drugs that reportedly will produce a most painful death. Colin waited long enough to witness a facial contortion of pure terror. Perkins could not scream from the pain as his vocal cords were crushed. Colin confirmed his target is terminated. ‘It’s my most satisfying sanction. I hope Erin will not be too upset she got stood up tonight.’ Duffy reappeared into the insertion room two minutes after his first visit. He exited via his entry route proud of himself.

Duffy drove his car to a motel just outside North Ridge. He knew two things, one that he will die within days. Jake told him three weeks. If true he has twenty days. Does it really matter he cannot run from himself. The other issue is that kid, the second Gloria Marsh. He has already discovered the Tribune-Review reported the death of a drug dealer. A guy named Perkins had committed suicide. The paper quoted a source saying it may have been a drug deal gone bad. It may have been suicide. Either way the community benefits from Perkins’ demise.

Colin checked to discover Erin not only is not in a coma secreted away in Georgia but she is well and graduated from Pitt. He employed his secret agent skills to confirm the young woman is healthy, happy and not pregnant. If nothing else that action allows Duffy to feel he is about to die for something worthwhile. He only hopes Erin lives a productive happy life.

He has only one piece of unfinished business, finding Gloria Marsh part two. Duffy had spent the last five days doing what a CIA operative is trained to do, investigate. He may be retired but he has lost none of his skill set. Retired is something agents do not do at a young age. Disappeared is likely a better descriptor of his status. Why check out North Ridge? This family, a father and two daughters could have been from Ohio, West Virginia or Pennsylvania. For that matter any other state. Duffy had secured a photo from the video of the kid with the ball. Breaking into the park’s system was no big deal. It was harder to crack the CIA’s database.

His difficulty to identify Devon is because the girl with the ball has her back facing the camera in the video. Dad and the other girl on the other hand were full faced. Duffy’s break came only because Dad is a Federal prosecutor. Imagine Duffy’s luck to have Ned Clancy turn out to be a lawyer high up in the Justice Department. Initially Duffy suspected yet another arm of the government with its fingers in the trough. Duffy soon learned Ned Clancy had a son and a daughter. Patricia and Kevin were their names. The recognizable girl was definitely Patricia. The other girl was not a Kevin. That much is certain. Duffy being Duffy wondered for a few hours if Ned was one of those people who had a perversion. He doubted Clancy turned his son into a girl. He proved that by tracking Kevin down himself.

After two days of this he soon discovered Devon James is a girl that is the spitting image of Gloria Marsh. South Hill’s school records list Devon as male. Yes Colin did confirm Gloria is in fact still in Enid Oklahoma. Colin was quick enough to figure out Devon somehow came into possession of the bracelet. Duffy is more than confused over the how and the why of this. He has determined there is likely a logical explanation but he cannot let go it. ‘Is Clancy behind this?' Colin thought. He will put nothing past this government. Duffy sits in his car in Dr. Balmgartner’s parking lot watching.


Thirty-nine

Margaret Clancy parks her SUV by the front door to allow Trish and Devon to exit. Duffy watches the two girls walk toward the door hearing Devon who appears uncomfortable speak. “I told you Trish you don’t have to wait for me. You should ride home with your mom.”

Trish looks doubtful, “I’m worried that’s all.”

A horn blows and a woman’s voice is heard. “Trish, I am not going to wait all day. We need to get home. Devon’s mother is going to pick her up.”

Duffy watched the girls hug before Trish got into the car. As they drove off he viewed Devon. The girl wore a navy A-line skirt with a pink camisole blouse. The sleeveless blouse revealed the girl’s bare arms. He noticed the panicked expression on the kid’s face. Duffy blinked ‘where is the bracelet? There is no record of another insertion. The auto bracelet was developed by Collins well after the Marsh bracelet turned up missing. That means this kid must have found the bracelet. Is it possible the kid wore the bracelet to end up like this accidentally? Naw!’ Duffy stares lost in thought still watching Devon.

Devon for his part finds himself standing in front of the doctor’s office wearing a skirt with the bracelet in his purse. It took a quick slight of hand to remove the bracelet the second Mrs. Clancy drove away. He expected the clothes would not change like the last two times. He brought a change in his book bag and quickly rushed to a bathroom.

Inside the small compact toilet Devon changes into his boy clothes. To be factual he is wearing girl’s size six jeans and his Pirate shirt. Devon is distressed to once again discover girl’s size six jeans fit his boy body. ‘How can you call this a boy body? Get real, I’m dead.’

It took far less time than he wanted for the receptionists to call his name. Efficient is not what Devon wanted today. ‘It’s better than being late allowing enough time for mom to arrive. She would insists to sit in on the exam. Meaning she will see and ask tough questions in front of the doctor. Shit I’m dead.’

A PA in form of an elderly professional woman took Devon’s blood pressure and checked his weight in this little room. Then she produced a needle causing the boy’s eyes to widen. The woman, who had introduced herself as Bev then spoke. “Dr. Balmgartner requested a blood sample. We have our own lab saving you making an appointment elsewhere.” She produced a sappy smile.

Devon blinked, ‘I bet she enjoys this.’

A few minutes after the woman left the door opened the doctor entered. She is an attractive youthful woman who has a pleasing manner. “Devon James, I am pleased to meet you. I am Jennifer Balmgartner. Your mother wrote me with many questions. Is she here?”

Devon shook his head, “She is at work but should be here by the time we are finished.”

The doctor nodded, “You have a pretty name. Devon is not a common everyday name. It suits a pretty girl. Your mom said you lost a lot of weight over the last ten weeks. Is it true you weighed one-hundred-sixty pounds?” She leans back eying Devon.

The boy nods sheepishly quickly adding, “I gained three inches though. It makes me look thinner.”

Balmgartner laughs, “My dear that may be true but it fails to explain the loss of fifty pounds in ten weeks. I will be blunt, are you purging or taking some kind of drug?”

Nearly panicking, Devon almost screams, “No nothing I swear.”

The doctor’s doubtful expression transmits she might not be accepting his answer. “The blood work will tell us a lot. Tell me about your voice and hair. Your mom says your voice is higher and your hair is many shades lighter. It is very pretty by the way.”

Devon smiles at the compliment. “It has just; well it just gradually started changing. My voice was never really deep but my hair was dark. I like this better.”

A smile is returned by the doctor. “I can see why you would. You are very pretty. I suspect you did not think of yourself as pretty before.” The doctor raises a wry smile knowing her next question is a delicate one. ‘There is no easing into it,’ she thought. “I have one more question. When did you start your period? Your mother did not mention it. The onset of puberty especially the beginning of the menstrual cycle can cause all kind of changes. Nothing quite this drastic though.” The doctor narrows her gaze.

Devon nearly panics hearing the words period and menstruation. ‘Mom would never ask about my period.’ That thought almost caused Devon to laugh. “I have not had a period before.” Is all that he could say? Devon could not engage in a conversation about periods. The poor kid is clueless. ‘Periods were never part of the plan. The girl thing was only to get me through summer classes.’ Poor Devon, it never occurred to him that eight weeks as a girl would likely involve a period or two.

Jennifer Balmgartner heard Devon’s claim and the doctor knows it is not rare that some girls are late getting started. She dismisses any doubts simply requesting Devon undress for an exam. ‘Smallish breasts a little late in developing but they appear well defined and healthy.’ As she progresses the doctor examines Devon’s nether regions. ‘Slow development here as well. Her vagina has a very small opening but nothing to be concerned about. I notice a small stain on her panties as she slid them down. It looks like early spotting. She may get her period today.’ “Devon did you put on clean panties today honey. I am not trying to embarrass you. It is important.

Devon blinks, “Yes I do everyday, why?”

The doctor takes the girl’s hand softly in hers to reassure. Devon visibly relaxes allowing the doctor to continue. “Honey I see signs indicating your first period can happen at any time. It may appear before the day is over. Do you know how to manage it?”

Devon’s eyes betray abject fear, which the doctor picks up on quickly. ‘This poor kid is ready to melt down, go easy Jen.’ She opens a cabinet handing Devon a package of Tampons. The doctor then opens an individual package that sets on the counter. “Let me show you how to use these. Remember always carry a few extras in your purse for emergencies. This nasty visitor can sneak up on you.” After carefully explaining the process, the doctor watches the girl sheepishly put the package into her book bag. The girl’s fear is evident. Jennifer walked Devon to the waiting room hoping to see her mother. “Is your mom here Devon?”

He shook his head no hoping against hope he can get to bathroom before she arrives, hoping the doctor sees another patient quickly.

Jennifer turns to the receptionist, “I’d like to see Devon and her mom in two weeks.” The doctor then turned, “Fred, I can see now.” She squeezed Devon’s hand gently, “Everything is fine sweetie. I will see you on the twenty-third and bring your mom.”

Devon nodded and ran like hell to the ladies room. He quickly put on his bracelet not expecting to see a great change but enough to bring his tiny thing back. ‘She said vagina and gave me Tampons. Holy shit.’ He then watched in horror to see the fourth crystal turn clear. He stared in total disbelief watching the bracelet melt. ‘It is gone! The damn thing melted.’

Devon staggered into the waiting room into the arms of his mother.

“There you are. The nurse told me you went to the bathroom. I have the appointment card you forgot to take it. You should be more careful.” With that mother turned to the receptionist. “Thank you Marcy we will see you in two weeks.” She led Devon out the door as Duffy watched from his car.

Almost home, Joyce spoke to Devon. “I have a surprise for you we have a visitor coming to the house.”

Devon already on edge over the melting bracelet, the package of Tampons and the exam where a doctor mistakenly suggested he is about to begin menstruation is ready to have a nervous breakdown. Now his mother informs him a surprise visitor is about to arrive. He bit his lip, ‘more than one surprise visitor if the doctor is right.’ In full panic, Devon is ready to run knowing he cannot take anymore. All Devon can do is sit there waiting to hear this woman, his mother say she called the asylum. He managed to speak a single word in his defeat, “Who?”

Mrs. James measured her son through glassy eyes. She views a pretty girl two or three inches taller and fifty pounds lighter. If she had not witnessed Devon’s transition over the last ten weeks she would not recognize this pretty girl had they passed on the street. Joyce confronts a combination of rage and denial. She feels a growing need to strike out blaming her child for his deceit. Rejection and blame stir within her until a reminder of the fat tormented boy shows through her glazed vision. The old Devon is revealed sitting across from her. ‘I see Devon’s eyes, I see his fear my poor child appears about to burst.’ Joyce blinks a tear forms leading to another soon generating a moist flow. She catches herself. “Dr. Wilkins is coming for a visit; Miss Murphy may be joining him. It seems they have an offer to present. I believe it is something you will welcome.”

Joyce thought for a moment her words soothed her son as he relaxed. Still fighting her conflicted inner demons Joyce struggled to gain control. What parent would not be confused, angered or terrified to see their child dramatically changed? ‘The signs were there and I ignored them. My son was so tormented he did something to himself and I did nothing.’ That thought suddenly morphed into another. ‘He deliberately lied to the school, lied to his parents while creating an elaborate disguise. He sits there in that stupid Pirate shirt defying me with those fake breasts. You would have thought the kid had enough sense to remove the damn falsies when he was in the bathroom; the defiant little bastard. That doctor must be a complete fool not seeing through his ruse.’ Without warning the woman suddenly broke from her inner rage to face her son displaying a soft unexpected control.

“Dr. Balmgartner’s nurse told me when you came in today you were wearing a pretty outfit and changed in the ladies room. Devon honey, why don’t you put those clothes back on? I’d like to formally meet my daughter.”

Devon is not certain he heard correctly, ‘is she cracking up? This bracelet fantasy has gotten to her as well.’ He did not move too stunned to react. Then he hears the phone ringing but he still does not move. Mother stands reaching for the phone.

Joyce about to answer the ringing interrupts herself, “Devon they are almost here you do not have much time. Please hurry up and change.” She waves him on as she speaks into the landline. “Hello, yes Dr. Balmgartner this is Joyce James.” She covers the phone motioning to a lump sitting on the sofa that has still not moved. She mouths the words, hurry your father will be home soon.

Devon stands, ‘She has lost it. What the hell better now than later. Dad won’t blow up while the professor is here.’ He opened his book bag struggling to change in the living room wanting to hear mother’s conversation. But only one side is revealed to him.

Joyce could be heard speaking to the doctor with a disbelieving edge to her shaking voice. “Nothing is wrong?” A pause precedes her repeating, “Blood pressure is normal, weight within the average range for a girl her height.” Another long pause while she listened at same time staring at Devon. Joyce watches her child struggling try to dress behind the sofa. With eyes making contact locking into Devon she mouths, “GIRL!” It must be her turn to speak again because the phone is pressed to her lips. “No doctor Devon has shown no signs of beginning a period. I certainly would have noticed if SHE had a period. You say expect it any day now!” Her voice is clearly rising at this point. “What! Did I hear you say her vagina opening is rather narrow for a girl her age but you are not concerned? Two weeks, I will be there, thank you doctor.” She hung up ashen not really seeing Devon but managed to blurt, “Devon you have some explaining to do.”

Devon sat on the sofa trembling he at least sat with his knees together. He at least smoothed his skirt under him as he sat. The boy clearly in a daze heard the words about explaining. ‘Too bad I cannot.’ He barely noticed his father close the front door.

Clay walked in as he usually does in a near full sprint. It is his normal attitude when called home early especially when his son’s teacher is coming for a visit. Except, everybody knows teachers do no make home visits. When he saw Devon as he walked past the couch his perception must have been skewed because what he sees is not possible. It is bad enough his wife appears catatonic but Devon is looking stunning in his navy A-line skirt with a pink camisole blouse. Father noticed the prominent bust line for the first time. He did not speak; his thoughts were racing along with his heart rate. He wanted to drop his brief case and run to the fridge. ‘Molsons, I need a Molsons that Iron City won’t do.’ He hears the door bell ring. ‘It is a hell of a time for the professor to come.’

This is the first time in Devon’s life he found both parent’s speechless at the same time. It was a good thing too as they could not possibly contribute to a coherent conversation. Reagan Murphy appeared radiant beaming with pride. She kept saying things like, “You must be so proud. Your daughter is our most brilliant student. We are so happy she will be attending Bryant.”

Devon stares speechless his mind races, ‘now someone uses a pronoun in front of my parents.’

Clay glanced to his wife then back to the professor able to offer appropriate nods. Joyce for her part beamed with pride. At least that is how she presented. Reagan and Wilkins could not possibly know this is the first time the parents saw their daughter. The professor and Reagan could not fathom both parents were in shock. To them the glazed expressions were borne of pride. It is not everyday your child wins a sixty-thousand dollar scholarship.

Wilkins outlined how no student ever offered mathematical capabilities demonstrated by their daughter. He also told of the history professor who could not believe the girl’s grasp of the Constitution. Wilkins slid the paperwork across the coffee table watching Clayton and Joyce sign while nodding to each other. Wilkins congratulated the parents for allowing the Academy to provide the best possible education for their daughter. He had no idea Clayton and Joyce could not read a word of what they were signing.

Reagan hugged Devon promising to see her in the fall term assuring unlimited help. She raised a brow as Clayton nearly choked. He suddenly began a coughing spree causing the professor to consider the Heimlich maneuver. Poor Reagan had no way of knowing her comment to Devon is the cause of the man’s choking. She only said to Devon, “I sense you and Mark Curtis are getting serious.” She noticed Joyce appeared to turn green at that same moment.

Somehow, Devon is lucid enough to thank both for coming and walked them to the door. Devon wanted to follow along behind them; escape is in the forefront of his mind. He found himself sitting on the sofa, hands in his skirted lap facing two blank stares. It will be a long evening.

The new girl faced her parents not certain how to begin. Joyce for her part managed to gather an unsteady control of her emotions. She looked to her husband who obviously is losing it. She held his hand firmly to steady him. Joyce did not wish to see an explosion she knew or could guess the man’s internal thoughts. His gaze is straight ahead locked upon Devon. The stunning girl before him appears almost as shaken as she. Joyce can see the distraught tormented boy who had been friendless and miserable is gone. He is replaced by a brilliant, beautiful daughter who has good friends and a supportive school.

Joyce, now relaxed having realized this is a change for the better wanted to understand it. ‘There is no possible way what sits before us can be reality.’ She turned toward Clayton then back to her daughter. With a gentle voice impossible a half hour earlier she said softly, “Devon honey we are proud of you. Can you tell us how this happened?"

Devon leaned forward palms pressing against her skirted lap. ‘No explosion? I can be thankful for that. Can I explain this? Not without that stupid bracelet.’ He nodded to his parents, “I can try but you won’t believe it.” He began with the day in the ravine. “I picked up this box at the bottom of the ravine. The sun reflecting on it caught my attention.”


Forty

Colin Duffy left the parking lot and followed the James’ car to their home. He then drove back to the compound finding it abandoned as he expected. Jake did not lie to him. He discovered all the equipment including the robots was purged. ‘It is an efficient sweep as always.’ He could feel the pressure building in his cyst knowing his time is nearly up. He had nowhere to run and may as well stay here. Duffy entered his small room placing his laptop on a table. ‘My stuff is gone too; they did not miss a thing. I would have enjoyed dealing with Stanfield. The bastard played me. No wonder they did not come after me over the bracelet. They already killed me all they needed was to keep me close.’

He turned on his computer activating the listening device he placed in the James’ living room. Colin listened to the conversation by a frustrated Joyce James and her daughter Devon. He nearly broke out laughing when he saw the expression on Clayton’s face when he walked in the door. ‘Priceless, am I very glad I included a camera.’ After hearing Devon say, I picked up this box at the bottom of the ravine. The sun reflecting on it caught my attention, He relaxed. With a smile on Duffy’s face he spoke aloud though no one heard. “I like that kid. I am relieved to find the bracelet fell into the right hands.”

Colin did learn from Jake the DNA program was terminated. The government believed it did not work. ‘It must be Bailey and Evans did an effective job bleaching their records before the agency closed in on them.’ Duffy knew all the successful insertions were off the record. It appears the government has no idea three people are out there because of the program; ‘three not counting the duplicate in South Hills.’ He could feel the pressure build and closed his eyes.


Forty-one

Mark Curtis walked to Devon’s front door holding his girlfriend’s hands. He turned to face her at the bottom step. Placing a hand on her hip with another on her shoulder he leaned closer. The kiss was warm and tender with both whispering, “I love you,” as they moved from the kiss. The door suddenly opened as Clayton stood facing the pair.

Devon blushed, Mark’s face turned a rosy color and both kids stuttered. Clayton could not demonstrate a rage expected of a parent. Instead he smiled ignoring the kiss he witnessed. “Did you kids have a good time at the ball game? I see the Bucs won again”

Both Devon and Mark giggled while nodding. Mark stepped back turning to face his mother’s car. He wanted to kiss the girl again but knew better. Instead he chirped, “Nice to see you Mr. James. Devon and I had fun but mom is waiting.” He ran off the porch waving to Devon.

She stood there wearing the black and gold shirt with the number 46 giggling. Dad put his hand on her shoulder walking Devon into the house. ‘That was some story Devon came up with last week. It is too bad it’s such bullshit. I can live with it. There is no denying my girl is happy for the first time in her life.’


Forty-two

Colin Duffy felt a sharp blow to his face. It startled him awake but he could not see anything. His eyes were bandaged shut. ‘What the hell?’ Someone with rough hands is unraveling the tape or whatever it is. When his vision cleared whoever is here is behind him. “Don’t turn around,” said a familiar voice. He could see an elaborate bedroom with a view of a sea, or ocean. Duffy is lying in a large bed and not a cheap motel bed at that. The man walked into his view, it is Jake.

“I regret to inform you that Colin Duffy is dead. They found the poor bastard’s body in a compound somewhere in western PA. It seems an unidentified toxin caused irreparable harm. Unfortunately, there is no death report or newspaper story. It seems the government considers this to be a national security concern.”

Duffy sat up, “What the hell are you saying?” He noticed his voice is different. “What happened?”

Jake, now sitting in a chair with a broad smile shakes his head. “I have no idea. Trying to piece together events, the best I can come up with is a guess. It seems some agent from an unnamed government entity followed Duffy to the compound. When Mr. Duffy blacked out the misguided agent slapped on one of Bob Collins’ modified bracelets. I can’t imagine who could have done it but someone inserted Colin Duffy’s DNA. Modified of course we can’t have someone fitting Duffy’s appearance wandering around. The best I can figure this new persona is Named Andrew MacHenry. He looks somewhat like Duffy except he has the ruddy Scottish complexion. MacHenry owns a villa of the coast of Spain.”

Duffy’s eyes widen staring at Jake. “This is nuts.”

Jake brushes a hair from his brow. “I thought so too, who could believe such a ridiculous tale? There is another amazing coincidence. MacHenry is the owner of that Villa some guy named Bailey bought with government money. Bailey simply disappeared and MacHenry scarfed it up on the cheap though, MacHenry has no money worries. He is a Scot after all. What do you think Andrew do you like my story?”

Duffy, now standing is speechless, well almost. “How in the hell did you pull this off?”

“Sit down Andrew this is going to take awhile. Did I tell you that you must seek another job? There are no openings in the agency and they only hire Americans.”


Forty-three

Devon and her father waved to Mark as he drove off with his mother. Clayton hugged his daughter. “Mark is a nice boy. Mom will have dinner ready in a few. Why don’t you go up and change? I will call you when it is ready.”

Clayton turned on the TV while Joyce finished up in the kitchen. The door bell rang. Clayton could see a teenaged boy he did not know standing there. ’It must be a friend of Devon’s, he thought.’ He opens the door about to call his son when the boy hands him a thick envelope then turns to leave. There is nothing written other than his name and as he looks up the kid as already reached the side walk. “Hold up kid,” Mr. James yells.

The boy stops turning to face him, “I have to go what do you want?” The kid responded as he appears ready to resume flight.

“Where did you get this? There is no return name or address on here, is this a joke? If it is it’s a bad one.” Clay stares at the boy thinking he looks familiar. “Aren’t you Freddie Miller?”

Freddie nods taking a breath, “Yeah I am what of it? All I know is this mechanic gave me ten bucks to deliver this to you. He asked me if I knew you by sight saying not to give it to anyone else. The guy sat over there in a tow truck. It was marked Packard’s Garage. The guy watched me hand it too you then drove off. I thought he must have worked on you car.”

Clayton looked down at the thick manila envelope then back to Freddie. “Yeah I did see a tow truck, thanks kid.” Freddie ran off as Clay walked inside. He sat on the couch not listening to the sounds from the kitchen musing, ‘who in hell is Packard‘s Garage. Why no return name or address?’ He shrugged opening the envelope and began reading the note taped to a thin electronic tablet. Play the video with Devon present. The WMA files will self destruct after the first viewing. This is no joke. ’No joke my ass; some clown watched too many episodes of Mission Impossible.’ The man nearly exploded. “Joyce, Devon get in here now.”

They both came running in full panic neither had heard an explosion from dad since that day two weeks ago on the couch. “What is it?” They both hissed at the same time.

All three sat on the sofa staring at the tablet while Clayton pushed play. A bracelet could be seen on a table. Devon’s eyes widened recognizing his bracelet. “That’s it” the new girl almost yells. The bracelet I told you about.”

The family listened still glued to a view of the bracelet the camera appeared fixed upon. A man’s gravelly voice began to speak disguised sounding like they do when news videos are protecting identities. “I trust you gathered Devon and Joyce Mr. James. You can view this one time as my encryption will destroy the file you are viewing after the first play. It is important Devon sees this. Yes just like mission Impossible.”

The voice began while the view never left the bracelet on the table. “Mr. James, allow me to introduce myself. I was Colin Duffy a CIA agent. If you are watching this I am dead now. There is a reason for this method of contact and the destruction of this file. It is for your safety they cannot hurt me now. This bracelet was stolen from a government laboratory by a secret agent. Devon, each crystal blinked out once it had completed injecting one fourth of the inserted DNA. You had no way of knowing this. As long as some crystals were still emitting light it was possible to create the illusion you were a duplicate of the DNA donor. In other words you were identical to that person until you removed the bracelet. Once the fourth light expired the transition was completed. You became a duplicate of the donor. There was no going back to your old self. Devon, I am sorry for the anguish this put you through. I was assigned to find the bracelet as others were misusing it selling them to rich people. You can guess why they wanted it.’

Mr. James pauses the video staring at his wife and daughter. Devon appears relaxed happy to learn her parents finally believe her. The video continues, “There appears to be more.” Clay nearly whispers.

The gravelly voice begins speaking again over a steady view of the bracelet after Mr. James pushed play. “The DNA is from a seventeen year old girl who lives far from you. I will not divulge her name as the agency is unaware of her. You can relax as they are unaware of you as well. Like I already said, by the time you see this I will be dead. You will not read of the death of Colin Duffy. The government has spent weeks covering this up destroying documents and burying the conspirators. I was relieved to discover those who stole the bracelet lost it in transit because a boy stumbled into that ravine. When I made the discovery I knew it was too late for me. When I learned who you are the bracelet had already melted. Yes, Devon the bracelet was supposed to melt when it completed its job. It was the day you were at the doctor’s office. I was too late to save you. Then I learned more about you to discover you benefited from this transition. I am relieved to learn a deserving kid’s life is improved. For your sanity I must reveal top secret information. This is the reason for this video. I do not need to tell you if the government stumbles upon this information what may happen. Destroy this tablet don’t trust the designed erasure of the file. Do it at once, in the next five minutes. The enclosed check comes from a safe source not connected to the government and is tax free. You will find Devon’s birth records were changed reflecting female status. I can’t imagine how an ordinary citizen could manage to convince the idiots in the record office of Devon’s new status. Don’t ask how I corrected the records. The documents are included. I am happy to know my death was not in vain as a lovely girl benefited. Consider this a gift from your friendly neighborhood CIA.”

Clayton sits back. “Joyce that story Devon told is true every word. I will do as the man said and destroy this tablet at once.”

Joyce and Devon hear what father said then focused on the other. They turned stunned in unison they said, “Check?”

Clayton smiles holding a Bank of Scotland cashiers check. “It says pay to Devon James Five Million Pounds. It is signed Andrew MacHenry.”

“Devon,” Mom begins, “That is going into a trust fun you won’t be spending it on clothes.”

Clayton stares at the check, “Pounds, that means it is close to eight million dollars.”

The girl, eyes wide opened says, “Clothes no, a car is more likely.”


Epilogue

Once the tablet melted nothing more was ever spoken about Colin Duffy or Andrew MacHenry. Several years later MacHenry watched from the back of the auditorium as Devon James walked the stage accepting her bachelors degree. He smiled thinking. ‘I am proud Devon and Erin did well. Both my girls are happy and safe. Colin’s sacrifice is worth the costs.’

up
122 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow!

What a story!
I like it!

Martina

Agreed

One heck of a bueatiful story. 47113 words of enchantment and a wonderful conclusion.

Enjoyed this

I will probably be reading this one again.

Thank you

Thank you.

It was fun to write and I think Crusty got most of the typos out. I saw a few minor oops but hey after working on this for a couple weeks they were not that bad.

I intended to serialize it but I hate stories begun and never finished. That irritates me. I will write the whole thing first so I know it is done and people will not be left in the lurch.

At the last minute I decided to throw the whole thing up. To think I could have made it longer, ouch! the problem is at 90 word processor pages it takes awhile to read. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you want you have my permission to copy and paste it into a word processor to read it off line. I don't mind

You are welcome

It only took me about 2 to 3 hours to read this from beginning to end. I will be able to find this again to re-read since I added it to my favorites.

wonderful story

had me totally engrossed!

DogSig.png

awesome

I don't need to add anything else

A really well-structured

A really well-structured story with excellent characters and a fast-moving plot. I especially liked the double helping of Devon's transformation, and how it happened so seamlessly that even her family doubted the evidence of their own eyes.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Thank you Nikki

I am sorry about being cranky the other day in another thread. I over reacted.

Character

Nikki

I intended initially to have poor Colin Duffy end up as Erin Hopkins, the coma girl. Then I thought, no too predictable. I was just going to kill him off let the toxin have him. When I wrote the section where the bracelet melted I left poor Devon with no way to prove his story. That is when old buddy Jake came to the rescue. Let's make Duffy a hero, he saved not only Erin but rescued Devon providing the proof the kid needed and saved the parent's sanity. That was a last minute switch. That is why I like writing the whole thing before posting even a single chapter. In that way unless I get hit by a truck people won't get stuck with an unfinished series.

I am happy you guys like it. It takes quite awhile to generate an idea that does not sound like everything else. That is why there are not many of mine out there. There may or may not be another. I don't know.

Edit

I wrote this in a word processor using an italic format to highlight character's thoughts. Such as, Devon thought 'What happened to my thing' It makes them easier for the reader. I did not realize when pasting the story the site did not hold the font. The italics did not appear.

When reading it I thought this may prove a problem so I bit the bullet. Mind you 90 pages of looking for (') when possessive words such as Freds' appear this way complicates the problem. Needless to say going over this much text tends to turn one's vision a bit glassy. I think I have them all but may have missed a few. I trust it will make it easier for the reader.

To those of you that may have had difficulty with it, sorry, I hope the correction helps.

Don't remember you or anyone

Don't remember you or anyone else being cranky. Then again I have very strong opinions, and if I have a right to express them so do you. So whatever it was, please don't feel you have to apologise.

About italics. When you post your story, all formatting disappears. You have to look in the 'body text' box and put it back in. Fortunately this is made very easy by the buttons that appear above it. Simply highlight the text you want italicised and click on the slanty I second from the left. It's time consuming but I think you'll find it's worth the effort.

And don't forget to read your story through even after you've clicked on SAVE. There'll almost certainly be a typo or two you've missed. If that happens go into 'my stories' in the pane on the right of the screen, click on 'edit' and scroll down to the body text to put things right.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Nodding

Nikki

I knew about the formatting, it is just that when I pasted the story in I had forgotten it did not hold the italics. Normally not a problem as most chapters are around ten pages or so. Dumping the whole thing in made it a chore. So it took a bit to find every 'Thought'. The last story I did was about a year ago.

story

wow, what an idea. a most enjoyable story. I could not stop reading. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Sheesh.

I'm up way past my normal bedtime now. Wonderful story and I jut had to read it start to finish once I began reading.

Maggie

I can do Maggie one better

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

I have a MISERABLE summer cold, my eyes are red and swollen and my nose is red and chaffed. BUT I still couldn't put the story down until I finished it.

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Took me 4 hours...

...to finish reading this story, but it was totaly worth it. A really good idea, sometimes a little confusing on nsa/dale part, but really interesting. I would be happy to own such bracelet as I thínk many here on BCT.
So please, let your brain rest and enjoy your stories, because I hope this wasn´t last story you´ve written.

Wow!

This was really good. Colin started out more than a little self-serving but he really shined towards the end. I rather liked how the story was really two stories in one. Colin in one and Devon in the other.

That really helped move things along and kept things interesting.

Very nicely done!
hugs
Grover

Two stories in one, ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... and both EXCELLENT! ... and both with happy endings! Jezzi "Pollyanna" Stewart is more than satisfied. Thank you.

BE a lady!

Well really loved

the Devon part, read some of the Duffy, just did not hold my interest. Devon was so well written, and the trials he went through to get to her unveiling with her parents, an their shock as The professor and Reagan talked about their Daughter And there was still one more visitor for Devon that was probably making her as shocky as Mom and Dad.

Jas, Jess, and Rae send Love an Light as well as my wishing you,

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

My favorite stories list.

WillowD's picture

Lately I have started compiling a list of my favorite stories on BCTS. I have just added this one to it. Thank you for the wonderful story.

Time Travel

Daphne Xu's picture

... and reality-shifts, they are two versions of the same thing. If the CIA operative went back and prevented someone's attack, then clearly he didn't go back and see the victim later on in a coma. And he couldn't have researched and found who attacked the victim. Time travel is full of paradoxes -- unless it's impossible to change the past.

It was a thrilling story, a bit confusing. I had to work to keep track of the characters on Duffy's side of the story. I also managed to push through my persistent thought, "DNA doesn't work like that." (Especially generating appropriate clothing...) Good to see that, ultimately, former CIA operative/assassin was fundamentally decent.

Devon's side was a rather hilarious comedy of errors. Devon found himself in a summer private school program. His teachers never discovered his boyness, and his parents never discovered his girlhood (until near the end). Miscommunication continued all around.

Good story.

-- Daphne Xu