The Long Journey -- Chapter 9 (Final Chapter)

Printer-friendly version

The girls thought about the matter for a few moments and Shirley said, “Okay, let’s try it. The savages probably have already missed Christie and on their way here to find her and whoever helped her get loose.”

The Long Journey
(A Lizzie Jane Adventure)
Chapter 9
 
By Billie Sue

 

 

THE LONG JOURNEY
Chapter 9
(Final Chapter)

Undecided and without any clue on what to do when the savages attacked, Shirley set about to preparing breakfast. On the menu this particular morning were fried eggs. The girls were not sure what kind of bird laid the eggs, but they were eggs and that was good enough for them.

“Where is Lizzie Jane?” asked Shirley as she set the plates for breakfast. She was thoughtful enough to set out some fruit for Momma Gorilla and George. They all usually ate together, each enjoying the meal to suit each individual taste.

Lizzie Jane came running in, huffing and puffing, back from a fast run.

“Where in the world have you been?” asked Shirley.

“Down to the beach. I just wanted to check on something,” answered Lizzie Jane.

“Well, I hope it is something good — to help us fight the savages,” replied Shirley, rather coldly.

“Well, I think so,” said Lizzie Jane. “I believe the savages are after us. They seem to have a taste for humans, so if we are gone, I don’t think they will bother Momma and George. They would be too much of a burden to carry back and I think they have plenty of gorillas where they live.’

“So, I checked to see if the last group to come ashore had a boat — and they did! My suggestion is that we paddle out to sea and, that way, we can protect Momma and George.”

“So, how would we get their attention away from here?” smirked Shirley.

“We build a bonfire. I know it isn’t night so they cannot see the light against the nighttime sky, but we should be able to build one large enough so they can see the smoke,” replied Lizzie Jane.

“Shirley, it is worth a try,” pleaded Christie. “I don’t want see Momma Gorilla and George hurt and you know Momma Gorilla will try to protect us.”

The girls thought about the matter for a few moments and Shirley said, “Okay, let’s try it. The savages probably have already missed Christie and on their way here to find her and whoever helped her get loose.”

Lizzie Jane tried to explain in gorilla language the matter to George, but he shook his head and objected. Lizzie Jane explained why and in gorilla language told him, “I will always be your sister and I want to protect you. I promise that I will try to find a way to come back — Okay?” She actually meant those words.

Of course, Lizzie Jane’s explanation to George were in scattered gorilla language, but gorillas did not have a large vocabulary anyway, but Lizzie Jane used enough with gestures so that he would understand. They hugged each other and the girls departed.

Momma Gorilla put her arm around George as if she were sorry, too, and tried to comfort him. George waved good-bye until Lizzie Jane was out of sight. A tear fell from his eye.

Scrap wood that had washed ashore and had dried was quickly gathered and a few clicks of the flint stones over some seaweed got the fire started and it built up quickly. When it was a roaring fire, the girls hopped into the little rowboat and paddled out to sea for a short distance. There they stopped and waited. They wanted the savages to see them.

It wasn’t very long until savages flowed out of the jungle from everywhere. They saw the girls in the little boat and began to throw spears, but the girls were too far away. The girls began to row further and further away to make sure that the savages could see them leaving.

Suddenly, a huge cloud appeared over the horizon and it appeared to be touching the water and the sky as it seemed to draw nearer.

“Look,” said Shirley. “A storm is coming up and a cloud is just above the water. I hope the wind doesn’t blow us back to shore.”

Lizzie Jane and Christie looked. Lizzie Jane spoke first, “That looks like the cloud that brought us here. Let’s row toward it. If it brought us here on this side, it might take us somewhere else on the other side.”

“Well, that is a wild idea,” said Shirley, “but I am game. Let’s try it. Any place is better than back there with the savages.”

The cloud was moving rather fast as if it were after something. The girls rowed as hard as they could at an angle and, by doing so, they seemed to be slightly gaining on it. Tired and feeling as if their arms would fall off, they finally entered the cloud.

Suddenly, everything was still and it seemed very creepy in the fog. They stopped rowing for a few moments because they were so tired. After a short rest, the girls resumed rowing on what seemed to be a perfectly calm sea. Everything was still and quiet, so they did not tire themselves out again. After what seemed to be a couple of hours, they came out on the other side.

“Whew, “ said Shirley. “I thought for awhile we would be stuck in there.”

“Look,” said Christie. “There goes a plane in it like the one we were on.”

Straining her eyes, Shirley remarked, “I believe that IS the plane we were on! We seem to be coming back into our own time just moments before we left it!”

They stopped rowing and watched the plane and cloud continue on their paths until they were out of sight. “Betcha the men in those planes are going to be surprised after they land,” smiled Christie, thinking of everyone running for their lives and the two men screaming when something caught them. The girls had kept on running and never looked back.

Not knowing where they were or which way to go, the girls pulled the paddles in the boat and drifted. As time passed, they wondered if they had done the right thing. On the other side of the cloud, there was an island. On this side, nothing but water as far as the eye could see. No one had thought to bring fresh water to drink. Well, they did not actually expect to be away from land very long.

They drifted for hours. Night came and left. The morning sun reappeared with its hot blast. The girls were very hungry and thirsty.

Shirley remarked, “As the old saying goes -- when out at sea, water, water all around and not a thing to drink.”

“I hope that we can make it,” cried Christie.

“Let’s pray. I don’t believe God intends for me to die out here or else He would not have let me kill that dinosaur,” mentioned Lizzie Jane. They bowed their heads and Lizzie Jane lead the prayer.

Tired, hungry and thirsty, the girls closed their eyes -- one by one -- hoping for a miracle. They were soon asleep, almost to the point of unconsciousness.

Lizzie Jane heard a voice in her dream, but it kept getting louder and she began to wake up.

“Ahoy there.”

It wasn’t a dream, but a real voice. She shook the other two girls and Shirley focused her eyes on a welcomed sight — it was the Coast Guard — The United States Coast Guard!

**************************************************************

Doc Brown knocked on the door of Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie’s home.

“Come on in, doc. You are always welcome,” said a smiling Jed.

“How is Maudie after she returned home?” asked the doctor.

“Just fine,” answered Uncle Jed. “She is still claiming that Lizzie Jane’s mother told her that Lizzie Jane is still alive. I haven’t had the heart to tell her there ain’t no hope.”

“But, Lizzie Jane is alive. That is what I came to tell you,” Doc Brown replied.

“What?” exclaimed Aunt Maudie as she entered the room from the kitchen, wearing her flour covered apron. “Jed, I told you so.”

“She is in Miami with two other girls. Some physicians and psychiatrists are examining her and the other girls. They have come up with some wild tale and Lizzie Jane has asked for me to come and prove she is not crazy. I am going to leave tonight and I wanted to see if you two wanted to go with me,” explained Dr. Brown.

“Yes, we want to go,” answered Jed.

“Good, we will drive to Anniston and catch a train. The trip would be too much for my old jalopy. I will pay for the tickets,” offered Doc Brown. “We will switch trains in Atlanta to go on to Miami.”

The train trip was a new experience for Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie , which they thoroughly enjoyed. Upon arrival in Miami, Doc Brown located a taxi to transport the trio to their hotel rooms. The next item was to see Lizzie Jane and find out what was going on.

Doctor Andrew Price, a psychiatrist, met Doc Brown and asked Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie to sit in a waiting area for a few minutes.

“I don’t know why, but the girls are telling a strange story and all the girls are sticking to it. They have been examined separately and their story stays the same. Since one of the girls know you, I thought you might be able to find out the truth,” said Doctor Price as they walked down a hall to a small room which contained a couch, a table and a bed.

“Doc Brown!” screamed Lizzie Jane when she saw him enter the room. She grabbed him and gave a big hug.

“Now, Lizzie Jane. That is you, isn’t it?” asked Doc Brown. He looked at her. There were some things that were different. After all, she had only been missing less than two weeks.

“Oh yes, Doc Brown,” whimpered Lizzie Jane. “Don’t you recognize me? I have only been gone a year.” Doc Brown glanced at Doctor Price, who had that “see what I mean” look.

Doc Brown sat down on the couch and said, “Lizzie Jane, tell me everything that happened — everything now — don’t leave out anything.”

Lizzie Jane went through all the events. Near the end, when she talked about killing the dinosaur, Doc Brown raised his eyebrows and had a strange look, like he remembered something.

“Thank you,” said Doc Brown. “The good doctor and I need to have a talk.”

When the two doctors were in the hall, Doctor Price said, “See, that story cannot be true.”

“Well, you may think I am crazy, but I believe her,” said Doc Brown.

“What? How can you believe a story like that?” asked a puzzled Doctor Price. Were all the people from Carter’s Bend crazy, even the doctors?

“Does Doctor Scott Ledbetter still live in Miami?” asked Doc Brown.

“Yes, he is a research scientist. Why?” asked Dr. Price.

“Could you get him on the phone for me? I know him. We had some classes together in college,” requested Doc Brown.

“Sure”, replied Doctor Price.

No one could hear what Doc Brown and Doctor Scott Ledbetter were discussing, but they talked about something for nearly an hour. After they hung up, Doc Brown said, “I think Doctor Ledbetter can shine some light on this subject. He is coming right over. He is as excited as I am.”

In another hour, Dr. Ledbetter was there, carrying his briefcase. “I knew right where it was,” he whispered to Doc Brown.

“Let’s go see Lizzie Jane — you, too”, speaking to Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie.

The three doctors, along with Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie, entered Lizzie Jane’s room. She had to hug the necks of her favorite uncle and aunt.

“Now,” began Doc Brown. “Let me explain. When Dr. Ledbetter and I were in college, he went on an archeological trip where some dinosaur bones had been found. When he got back, he told me that he had something to show me. They had found something in the skull of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and no one could explain it. The leader of the group said that the item did not mean anything, so just throw it away. Dr. Ledbetter felt like he wanted to keep what was found and, maybe, figure out something. He never figured it out, but he still has it. May we see it, Doctor Ledbetter?”

Dr. Ledbetter produced an old flat box. Doctor Brown said, “Now, this is aluminum. As most everyone knows, the surface of aluminum quickly oxidizes to form an invisible barrier to corrosion, so it can last for years — some people think indefinitely. However, this box was not available in the days of the T-Rex. So, where did it come from? Good question, isn’t it — since it was found in the skull of a dinosaur.”

Doc Brown continued, “Lizzie Jane, will you open this box and read what is inscribed inside? It should not be difficult. Doctor Ledbetter has already opened the lid in his examination. Now everyone, keep in mind that this was found in the skull of a T-Rex dinosaur.”

With trembling hands, Lizzie Jane opened it and read, “Killed by Lizzie Jane, Date Unknown”.

Doc Brown smiled. “This seems to me to be definite proof that Lizzie Jane and the girls went back in time and experienced what they claim. Remember again, this box was found in the skull of a T-Rex and that particular area had not shown any disturbance before Doctor Ledbetter and his group found the skull containing the box. Isn’t that right, Dr. Ledbetter? Lizzie Jane claims to have tossed such a box with the identical same inscription into the open mouth of the T-Rex.”

Doctor Ledbetter nodded his head. “Doctor Price, you know me and know that I would never be a party to a hoax. This box must surely go back to the time when the dinosaur was killed and I have no doubt that this girl killed it. She would not have known about us finding the box. The only ones who ever knew were the group I was in, myself, and Doctor Brown, of whom I asked an opinion. Of course, he had none — until today.”

Doc Brown began to speak again, “Lizzie Jane said she had been gone over a year. Actually in our time, she has been gone less than two weeks. However, look at her. She is a little taller, her skin is brown and she seems to have more muscle. This is not the same Lizzie Jane of two weeks ago, but a Lizzie Jane that is a year older.’

“Let’s try something. Lizzie Jane spoke of a rescue, which took a lot of strength. Doctor Price, would you please let Lizzie Jane arm wrestle with you?”

Reluctantly Doctor Price placed his arm on the table hand in hand with Lizzie Jane.

“On the count of three, go,” said Doc Brown. “One — two — three”.

Lizzie Jane had no problem pinning Doctor Price’s arm down immediately.

“Now, if the word of this ever gets out, Lizzie Jane and the other two girls will never have any privacy, but will be hounded — and maybe kept prisoner — by the scientific community. I want to ask that what we have learned today never leave the walls of this room. Okay?”

The group nodded. “Okay, let’s go tell the other girls why they need to keep all what happened a secret, too.’

The hardest part was the good-byes to the two girls Lizzie Jane had grown to love — so much that Lizzie Jane had risked her life to rescue one from a T-Rex dinosaur and a large tribe of giant savages. They had grown so close that they were almost like sisters.

Tears were shed — necks hugged — as the young ladies exchanged addresses, promising to not mention their experiences to the outside world. In the first place, no one would believe them and they understood that, if scientists ever checked on their story, they would never really be free again.

Shirley and Christie lived in Florida, so they stood on the platform as Lizzie Jane boarded a train going to east-central Alabama and watched until the train was out of sight. Lizzie Jane was sitting next to Aunt Maudie, so she turned and cried on her aunt’s shoulder.

Aunt Maudie patted Lizzie Jane on the back. “Honey, I understand. They were your close friends. It hurts, but each of you must face disappointments and sorrow through your life. Think of it this way — think of how overjoyed you will be when you meet again — and you will meet. Y’all have each other’s address, so they won’t be so far away.”

Aunt Maudie used her finger to turn Lizzie Jane’s face to meet her face and said, “How many other nine —ah, I mean ten — year old girls have ever killed a T-Rex dinosaur? Honey, that is a feat that will never be beat.”

That brought a smile to both faces.

THE END

Copyright 2007 by Starla Anne Lowry
Under the pen name of Billie Sue

**
All characters in this story are fictitious and not intended to protray any actual person, dead or alive.

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet Ending to a Sweet Story

Thank you so much for this wonderful installment Billie Sue :) You are a GREAT author! I want to see your next installment or next story asap :) (When you recover and have your muse back...that is) You have a great imagination and good writing style.

*hugs so much*

Hurry back from your op! Love You.

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Sweet ending to a sweet story

Thank you so much, Sephrena. A comment like this from you helps a whole lot. I am not sure where I will go next -- but I feel that romance may be in the air.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

The Story and You

[email protected] It was a very good and entertaining tale . When your med. problems get sorted out ,perhaps you will favor us with more . Good luck to you and Gos speed .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

The Story and You

I appreciate your kind comments. Right now, I need encourgement and, if enough people wrote like you did, it would help a lot -- lots and lots.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

the long journey

Billie Sue,

Wonderful job on your story. I really enjoyed it. It really didn't have a TG theme, but still the same it was a great read.

Someone once told me that most TG stories that have been written here and elsewhere, would still be a great story even if it didn't have a TG character in it. Usually the TG element is only a couple of paragraphs in the beginning, and it is a normal story after that. Funny thing is, if you analyse it in that light, it is very true. The TG person just becomes another character, regardless of what Gender they are.

Your story is one such example. Over the years I have read thousands of stories, so Ive seen all the different genre of stories, and I personally enjoy TG stories over most. Especially in the science fiction, and especially the romantic ones, but that is me.

You are a very good story teller, and I hope you do more soon. Looking forward it.

Hugs
Joni W

The Long Journey

Thank you Joni,

I don't dwell on the TG issue because the events that led from boy to girl were in the very beginning of Lizzie Jane's life. (See "The Beginnings.")

I was thinking back about whether I ever mentioned Lizzie Jane's condition in any of the chapters of "The Long Journey" and I remember when she dressed as a boy, she was thinking that she was intersexed, so it would be okay. The fact of her being intersexed was first revealed in my Halloween story.

I was thinking recently of writing the owner of "Big Closet" about whether I should continue writing after Lizzie Jane has sex reassignment surgery. Would that still fit in this group of stories? Being as intersexed as she is, she would have all the capacities of any other female, including the ability to bear children.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the stories. Like you said, in some cases, the TG element is at the beginning of most stories (like it was in the beginning of the Lizzie Jane's saga) and a normal life after that.

I would like for Lizzie Jane to go on to romance and the normal life of a female without transgenderism being an issue. I don't know if that is possible or not -- or even allowable.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

Change in Chapter 8

I have made a slight change in Chapter 8. It is not natural for Lizzie Jane to accept the fact that she killed someone, so I changed the avalanche sene to separate the savages, not kill any of them.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

The Long Journey

Wonderful story Billie Sue! :}

Your Sis, Vivien