Julina of Blackstone - 000 - Let Me Please Introduce Myself

Printer-friendly version

Julina provides reports of life in Blackstone. This is her introduction to herself.

grakh
 

Julina of Blackstone

Her Chronicles


by Julia Phillips


000 - Let Me Please Introduce Myself


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
000 — Let Me Please Introduce Myself

Blackstone is a small, decaying, high mountain community at the very end of one of the many mostly straight Chivan roads that abound in our country of Palarand. Our nearest ‘real’ town is called Tranidor, some 2 or so days’ journey southwards. The Blackstone River, more of a stream really, dribbles its way westwards out of Blackstone Vale and joins the freshly-born river (also a stream) named the Bray. The waters, joined here and there by other streams from the not-so-frequent canyons that populate the valley walls, then scurry and gurgle their way southwards through the Bray Valley to join the larger Palar River at Tranidor. This river then rushes ever down the Palar Valley, eventually to join a river called, I am told, the Sirrel at a town called Dekarran, which is the capital of our province, North Palarand.

My knowledge of such distant parts is simply by hearsay, having been only twice to Tranidor in my life, both times for a single overnight, both times as a babe in arms. I know of course, from conversations, of the towns down the valley as far as Dekarran; and that there is a wondrous city at the centre of Palarand where everyone is rich and have carefree lives, richer even than any of our Town Councillors!

My name is Julina.

I am a resident of Blackstone, one of a group that can be numbered on two or three hands who are still referred to as ‘children’ despite the counting of our years. I am the eldest of our family, apart from, of course, my Papa. My Mama left us not long after she explained the soon-to-be-expected changes in my body to me. I wonder if she knew somehow that her end was near, she having been trampled by a panicked frayen in the high pasture. A group of dranakh had seen off the threat from a cruising grakh, but not before Mama had been struck by a fleeing frayen, blind in its panic, which then trod on her. I now run the household for us all — Papa, me and my 5 younger siblings - yes I have a full hand of brothers and sisters; as a family, we were blessed with a much lower than normal rate of young children deaths. Mama had taught me some letters (we practiced with chalk sticks on one of the walls of our hut) and had taught me also some of the ‘delights’ ahead for me as a woman in a high mountain township community.

Men have it all so much easier, that’s for certain. A neighbour, who I had many talks with, also had (still has, actually) strong views that we women could be so much different if we could only get a chance.

Chances, however, were things that seemed very few and far between to us as we grew.

Even fewer and with bigger distances between them, when those animals led by Trogan turned up.

A close community like ours has many currents in it, but we all accept that life is hard and we do what we can. Some are open about what they do, whilst some (the Cobbler for example) are slimy and underhand — how they ever had such a nice person as Jasinet, I shall never know.

But Trogan and his thugs made life so much harder and more depressing. Papa’s normal routines were completely disarranged and I had to stay out of sight as much as possible and keep the kids out of trouble. We were trying to hide in plain sight, as it were, and every day that went by, it was more and more difficult.

Papa was then the designated man of the town for inspecting the roadside borders and ditches, and also for reporting which roadmarks need some maintenance. Sometimes, he did the work himself, but normally he would return and arrange a working party. His responsibility was supposed to be as far down the road as the junction with the Chaarn road, a full day’s journey, but Trogan refused to let him leave town on some excuse or another. An excuse that changed every week, it seemed. And the tax demands were crippling everyone, a burden particularly on those whose business was so restricted.

And then came the Lady Garia, our new Baroness, along with Prince Keren, son of our King, no less!

That was quite the entrance!

Mercy me! Now we females KNOW that we can do so much more.

And she brought with her her own scribe! And the scribe herself was a Lady! Lady Merizel. She had had delivered to herself a fantastical new thing they call paper, which is like parchment but so much lighter and easier to use. We discovered that it takes charcoal markers very well. I say we, you have noted. Yes, the Lady Merizel helped me so much; she was (and I fervently hope, still is!) so very, very kind. She even left behind some of her precious paper for those who wish to improve their skills. Master Jepp, the town’s Scribe is going to set up some school here for everyone, not just silly boys.

I have already told Mylady Merizel and Master Jepp that I wish to record my impressions of life around here. They are so supportive — even to the extent of already giving me some of the precious paper. So I am about to embark on a series of word-sketches to help others understand our life here a little better. Something I hope that my children will be able to pass onto their children, and they onto theirs and so on. This will reduce the otherwise inevitable exaggerations and distortions, ensuring a more accurate story is conveyed to future generations.

... ... ...

So that was what I wrote back then. Now I am many years older and have rediscovered my naive scribblings from back then. But I am pleased, as they have indeed fulfilled the ideals with which I started.

This was my dearest wish as I started out on what was to become an astounding and long journey, a life of which I was then totally unaware.

Blackstone has changed out of all recognition nowadays, and when I revisit, I am constantly amazed at not only the developments but also the astounding foresight shown by our Baroness, and the Palarandi royal family. And the ingenious ways in which problems were resolved.

So I have become determined to share those early scribblings with a wider audience.

And I will start with that close neighbour and friend mentioned above; even though she was then more than double my age when I first set this to paper, I was proud to call her ‘friend’.

I trust you will deal with me kindly - I was young and largely untutored when I started ...

Yours in hope,

Julina (of Blackstone)


up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good beginning

This is an excellent opening gambit to an addition to the Anmar universe brought to life by Penny Lane. I hope this encourages you to continue.
Linda Jeffries

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

JUlina of Blackstone

This story looks to be off to great start.

DJ

not having read Penny Lane's work

I hesitated reading this, fearing that I wouldnt get the references.

Turns out, I'm glad I read it, its well done.

DogSig.png

SEE Expanded!

Get on the stick and catch up with the rest of us on Somewhere Else Entirely. You'll love it.

DJ

You're the one, then

I had heard one existed...

If you insist, insist I say, reading Somewhere Else Entirely I warn you you will be much older and wiser by the time you're done. Unfortunately, you won't get to the end of the story because I haven't finished writing it yet.

...yes, I know, I'm on it!

Enjoy both tales,

Penny

Workload

You must carry the workload of a Dranakh with all you have to keep track of.

Best,

DJ

I am flattered.....

D. Eden's picture

That I am more familiar with Penny's work than you are Dorothy! As it appears our tastes are much alike, I am sure that you will absolutely love it.

And as to you Penny, now that you have created your monster with the SEE universe, you need to buckle down and complete it!

Seriously, there are times in my life that being able to sit and read on this site seems to be the only thing that keeps me from slipping off the deep end, and like several other authors, you are one of the people who I attribute my continued grasp on sanity to.

I owe much to my friends on this site, and I hope that many others find it as I did.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

A Wonderful Beginning

Welcome and thank you for joining us. I love the beginning and already want to know what will happen next.

Thank you all

for your kind words and warm welcomes.

I was about to post the first long episode to Penny for approval, when I noticed a glaring omission. I am going back to write it as soon as I hit enter on this.

You are all so kind.

Glaring omission

Yep, been there, written those.

You only ever notice those after you've posted them... after a while you become obsessive reading and re-reading chapters over and over again before posting. Most times it catches most of the bludners.

Speaking of glaring emissions, I'd better go hide from that big yellow thing in the sky. 10:49 GMT+1:00 and it's already 29.6 C in here.

Penny

Over heating

You can reduce the temperature by wetting you exterior walls if they are brick or stone. You can also cool your immediate work area by placing a small tub of ice in front of a fan. I hope these suggestions help.

DJ

1333 EDT

Here in Central Massachusetts and it is over 90 degree's f with a dew point in the 70's. We are presently in our 4th heat wave of the summer (3 days of over 90 in a row). It is forcasted to hit 100 by tomorrow. I don't mind the heat so much as the damn humidity.

oh! you mean the sun?

Sadarsa's picture

I thought you were talking about the Big yellow undergarments from Julia's signature picture!

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Work areas

My work area stays about 31.6 c year round but I'm in Texas and that's right next door to hell.

DJ

Hell?

You live near Ft Sill OK? :)

I attended Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training there (Field Artillery Surveyor) from Sep 81 to Feb 82.

Hell?

I have been in that neighborhood but live about 19 miles south of Dallas.

DJ

I look forward to more!

D. Eden's picture

An interesting beginning and I definitely look forward to reading more!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Oooooo!

Wonderful launch of what I suspect will be a marvelous tale.

Joani

Nice flashback intro

Don't know if this is Cannon by Penny's standards -- as she is talking from the future and will soon be describing the near future of Garia, sort of.

But feels right to me.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I noted how she says her name, Just Julina of Blackstone. But thouygh in the past people oftebn used their location as part of their name I felt she was saying it with conciderable pride. And I got the impression she left for a while --- to get an education or even teach at some new unicversity Gria likely insppired -- but has come home with pride in her accomplisments and town.

John in Wauwatosa

Garia and the future

Hi John,
we have a system of checks and balances in place. Nothing I write will ever convey what will happen in Garia's future. The retrospective aspect of the introduction was merely to allow Julina to report on an open-ended basis. Eventually, Penny is going to leave this tale as she herself has said many times in blogs and comments. That doesn't mean that Julina's tales have to come to a screeching halt at the same time. The introduction does say that in the first instance, older Julina is going to share younger Julina's early tales. So none of the first tales will get much beyond the Trogan-era. Later - IF THE GUILDSMEN DEEM IT FEASIBLE - then maybe the odd tale will include the influx of miners. If, however, the mining operation should not prove feasible, then there is a dimension available in the disappointment some will feel that the town has NOT expanded as forecast. But, without knowing for sure, we have received enough hints that Blackstone could become, as one commenter said, a 'petri dish' for social experimentation as well as technical experimentation. Depending upon Penny's revelations, then there may be scope for a story with a POV of the first railway (railroad to you guys) personnel. There is also the possibility (hint, hint) of maybe a tale from the new shoemaker. And so it goes on.

I must re-iterate, THESE TALES ARE AN ADJUNCT TO Penny's main tale. Not all will contain 'T' elements.

If you have a favourite Blackstone resident you might like to know more about, then feel free to request (or write) an expansion.

Thanks, as always, for your valuable contributions

Julia

SEE's first spin-off!

So, we're going to get a Blackstonian's account of life before, during, and after Garia's visit (and who knows, in about 20-30 chapters of the main timeline, Garia may make the journey back again...) - cool!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Stumble Bum

Thats Me!.. Tale of Anmar; both yours and Penny's writing are classed as among my favorite universe!
By chance, I accessed the series function.. Something I do when unable to find an enjoyable read.
Hmmm.. I have heard it said that it is best to start at the beginning!
Wow! heady thought!

alissa