My Summer in Pantyhose Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Summary: Jamie gets some new clothes and goes to a movie with Megan.

Chapter 11

"That wasn't a very nice thing to say," said my grandmother. "You embarrassed Jamie in front of his friend."

"I don't like him wearing my clothes," retorted Julie.

"Mom made me wear it!"

"Now, let's not have an argument," my grandmother cautioned. "I'll talk to your mother about this. I'm sure she had Jamie's best interests at heart."

That put an end to the discussion though I could tell Julie was still annoyed. I wondered what Megan made of it. She didn't mind me wearing hose and she must have known it was a girl's top. My grandmother and I left the mall while Julie went back to work. I was in a strange state of elation for the rest of the day. Megan actually seemed to like me. She even wanted to go to a movie with me.

"So how was your lunch with Megan," my mother asked as we drove home from my grandmother's house.

"It was great. We had a lot of fun."

"I'm glad to see you're making new friends."

"Yeah. Me too. Uhhmm. Is it okay if I go to a movie with Megan? She asked me."

"Hmmm. Is this a date or are you just going as friends?"

My heart fell to the floor. My friendship with Megan was already coming to an end. Surely Mom wouldn't say no. "I don't know. I think we're just friends." I hoped we were more than friends but at this point I didn't care what the circumstances were as long as I could spend time with Megan.

"Well, I guess a matinee would be okay." My mother smiled at me and patted my nylon-clad leg.

"Thanks Mom. Do you think we could go tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow? Well, it is Saturday. Have you talked to Megan about the details?"

"No, she wants me to call her tonight."

"Well, okay. Find out the details. I'll drop you off and pick you up after the movie."

"Thanks Mom." I stared out the window and daydreamed about sitting in the dark with Megan.

"Your grandmother told me that Julie wasn't very nice about your top."

"She didn't have to say anything in front of Megan. I think she did it to be mean."

"Well, I didn't like you wearing my clothes either. Remember?" asked my mother, raising her eyebrows.

"But YOU made me wear the top."

"I know. This is my fault really. I'll iron out things with Julie. In the meantime, we need to get you some nicer clothes to wear if you're going to have a more active social life."

"As long as I don't have to wear Julie's clothes again."

"Let's stop by Mohls and get you something for tomorrow, okay."

I assented and at the next stop light mom made a turn and headed for Mohls.

When I opened the car to get out my clog slipped off my foot. How do girls keep these things on I wondered. As we walked into the store, I expected we would head toward the mens section and pick out some polo shirts, but my mom headed in the opposite direction. I followed her into the juniors section.

"Why do we have to buy clothes here?"

"I think they'll look good on you."

"But these are girls clothes."

"I know," said my mother as she looked through some tops. "Does the top you're wearing now look good?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Mothers often know best," she remarked as she continued looking.

"Sarah?" asked a female voice. "Is that you?" The speaker was Carla North, one of my mother's friends from her school days. We didn't see her very often, but they sometimes talked on the phone. Whenever we met them in a store it usually meant we were going to stand around talking for a long time. Today Carla was with her daughter Beth, who was three years younger than me, and another girl who I guessed was Beth's friend. Beth never talked to me so I figured I was in a for a long stint of standing around being bored.

My mother and Carla chatted about people they knew their plans for the summer. At one point my mother handed me the three tops she was holding. They were similar in style to the one I was wearing. The colors were pastels in orange, yellow, and blue. At least she didn't select a pink. There was no way I was going to wear pink.

I noticed that Beth and her friend were whispering and glancing at me. "Ask him," her friend said.

I smiled at Beth, hoping to disarm her. She smirked. "Jamie, Steph wants to know if you're wearing nylons." Beth's friend laughed and the conversation between Carla and my mother came to a sudden stop.

"Beth!" said Carla. "What did you say that for?"

"Because it looks like he's wearing hose." Steph laughed again.

"It's okay," my mother said putting her arm around me and pulling me close to her. "Jamie is wearing pantyhose."

Beth and Steph put their hands to their mouths and turned away giggling.

"Really," said Carla, ignoring her daughter. She eyed my legs closely before looking at my mother for an explanation.

"I caught him wearing mine," she said in a hushed voice. "So, I gave him a choice and he chose to wear them so I've bought him his own hose."

"Wow," said Carla. "Well, Jamie, I must say you have very nice legs."

My mother squeezed me. "Thanks Carla."

"Are those tops for you, Jamie?"

"Yes," my mother answered. "They look so much better on him then all those grubby t-shirts he used to wear. He had a lunch date today so I finally got him to wear something nice."

Beth and Steph were smirking at me as they followed every word of the conversation. They looked at each other and started giggling again when the word date was mentioned.

"Oh, I know," affirmed Carla. "Young boys dress so sloppily today. And I see Jamie's not wearing those baggy shorts that so many boys are wearing."

"Yes," replied my mother. "Some of them look like they're about to fall off." My mother leaned toward Carla. "I had to buy Jamie's shorts in the girl's section to find some decent ones."

"Well they look good on him."

Beth and Steph started giggling again at the comments on my shorts.

"We're having a small cookout next Saturday," stated Carla. "Would you, Jamie, and Julie like to come?"

"Oh that would be wonderful."

"Great. Well, the girls need some new swimsuits so we better be going. I'll call you with the details about the cookout."

My mother smiled and waved.

"Bye Jamie," said Carla as she winked at me. "Have fun shopping."

"Well Jamie, do you like any of these?" asked my mother as she took the tops from me.

"We're not really going to the cookout are we?"

"Why not. It'll be fun."

"I don't want to stand around all night while Beth giggles at me."

"I know. That was very rude of her. I suspect Carla will give her a good talking to later. You know, if you want, you could invite Megan to come to the cookout with us. Does that sound like fun?"

"Really?"

"Well, I'll have to square it with Carla but I think she'll agree to it."

This put the cookout in a whole new light and I immediately anticipated what a great time it would be to hang out with Megan for hours. Who cared about Beth and her giggles. Megan would shut her up for sure.

"Now, do you like any of these?"

"Couldn't we get something in a bolder color? These all look kind of washed out."

"Hmm. I didn't think you would want a hot pink one."

"No. I'm not wearing pink."

My mother smiled. "Well, pastels are all they seem to have, if you discount the pinks. I think these will suit you very well."

"Okay, I guess they'll do."

"Great. I was thinking you could use some capris."

"Why?" I asked as I followed her toward a rack of what appeared to be short pants.

"I thought you might not want to show so much leg all the time but still be cooler than jeans. Here," she said, pulling out a dark beige pair with an elastic waist and a draw string. "I think this will work. Why don't you go try them on."

My mother handed the capris to me as we headed for the changing rooms.

"Can he try these on here?" my mother asked the sales clerk manning the changing rooms.

"Sure," she answered then pointed to an open stall.

Fortunately there weren't a lot of people trying on clothes. It appeared that only one other booth was occupied. I took my shorts off and hung them on a hook on the back of the door. I took the opportunity to pull up and smooth my hose. Before trying them on, I gave the capris a close inspection. They did not have a fly and the pockets in the back were extremely small, more for decoration than utility. At least they did not have any embroidered flowers. I slipped them on and adjusted the draw string. They were comfortable and cool, like wearing very thin sweat pants.

"They fit," I called.

"Let me see."

I hated trying on clothes with my mother. She never seems to believe me. I stepped out of the booth in my stockinged feet.

"Yes, those look great on you," my mother said. "Pull up your shirt and spin around so I can see the waist."

I dutifully followed her instructions. The clerk was now smiling at me and her eyes dropped a couple times to my feet. I realized then what I had done. I had flashed the waistband and panty of my hose to my mother and the sales clerk.

"I think those will do," said my mother. "Do you like the color."

"Yeah, it's fine," I said.

I went back into the booth to change. I thought I heard a quiet discussion between my mother and the sales clerk, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. The sales clerk smiled at me as we left the changing area, not a smirk, but a friendly, knowing smile.

"Mom," I asked, as she started the car. "Were you and the sales clerk talking while I was changing?"

"Yes, dear. She wanted to know why you were wearing pantyhose."

"Oh, that's what I figured."

"She thought they looked very cute on you."

I nodded. Was cute the look I wanted?

When we arrived home, my mother gave me instructions for heating the leftovers before leaving to pick up Julie at the mall. I put the plates and utensils while the food heated in the microwave. I don't know what my mother said to Julie on the drive home but Julie glared at me as she headed upstairs to change.

"Is Julie mad at me?" I asked.

"She'll get over it, and I think you'll find her much more supportive in the future."

My mother told Julie about our shopping trip to Mohls and the invitation to Carla's for a cookout.

"Can I bring a friend if Jamie gets to bring one?"

"Well, I suppose so," answered my mother. "Do you think you need one?"

"I don't understand why sissy gets all the privileges."

"You're older Julie. And don't call your brother a sissy."

Everyone was quiet after that exchange. I ate quickly hoping to get to the phone to call Megan before Julie called one of her friends.

"When are your friends coming home," asked Julie.

"Probably Sunday." After all the excitement with Megan I had forgotten all about Mike and Todd coming back from vacation. Talking to them about my hose was not going to be easy.

"Should I tell Samantha not to say anything to Monica?" asked Julie. Monica was Mike's older sister.

"Oh, I hadn't thought of that."

"I think you should Julie." My mother answered for me. "It's best that Jamie talk to his own friends about ... things."

"Can I go call Megan?"

"Okay."

"Hey, don't be on the phone all night," called Julie.

I looked up Megan's number in the phone book. Maybe I should add it to the list of numbers next to the phone. Each of us had a page or more in a pad next to the phone with frequently called numbers. I added Megan's number below the entries for Mike and Todd.

"Hello?" answered a woman whom I assumed was Megan's mom. "Is Megan there?"

"Who's calling?"

"Jamie. She told me to call."

"Okay, Jamie. Just a minute."

"Hi Jamie. Can you go to the movie tomorrow?"

"We're going to a matinee, right?"

"Yeah, can you meet us at one?"

"Sure, the theater at the mall, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll see you at one. Hey can I have your email and IM?"

"Sure." Megan rattled them off as I tried to record them. I had to ask her to repeat them. We said goodbye and that was it. I had a movie date with Megan.

I was laying on my bed reading a book when Julie entered my room later that evening.

"Hey Jamie. I'm sorry I was so pissy today."

"It's okay. It wasn't my idea to wear your top."

"I know." Julie sat on the edge of my bed, staring at her fingernails and looking pensive. "I guess I didn't ruin your friendship with Megan."

"No. Why do you think she's asking me out?"

"I don't know. I guess she thinks you're a nice guy. She's probably looking for more friends. Girls like her want to have lots of friends."

"How will I know if I'm her boyfriend?"

"I think you'll know."

"Is something wrong?"

"No, I just wanted to say I'm sorry." Julie rose and moved toward the door. "Have fun tomorrow. I'm going shopping with Samantha so I'll tell her not to say anything to Monica, okay?"

"Thanks sis."

I was up early Saturday morning, showered, and shaved my legs. I picked out a pair of suntan sheer energy hose, some plain jean shorts, and one of new tops that my mother had bought, the blue one. After a bowl of cereal, I began the long wait until my movie date with Megan. My mother had a lot of work to do with some project from work and Julie didn't emerge from her room until late morning. I messed around with some computer games and added Megan's info to my accounts. I thought about sending her an email--she wasn't online for chat--but maybe she didn't want to hear from me that much. That might sound a bit desperate. I was going to see her in a few hours.

We ate an early lunch of sandwiches. My mother was preoccupied with her work but Julie seemed as happy as ever. I had the distinct sense last night that something serious was bothering her, that she wanted to tell me something.

I was laying on the couch trying to read a book when Samantha arrived to go shopping with Julie.

"Oh, I've got to wish Jamie luck," I heard Samantha say. "Hey Jamie," exclaimed Samantha as she swept into the living room. "I heard you really lit a fire under Megan. She asked you out to a movie."

"I guess she likes me."

"Well good luck," she said, leaving the living room. "And don't get into trouble in the dark."

The door slammed but I could hear them giggling outside.

I was waiting at the door in my sandals at half past noon. "Mom," I shouted. "It's time to go."

"I know," she said. "I know. Well, you look nice. I guess you're paying attention finally. I need to stop by the office to grab a couple folders on the way," she said as she locked the door.

"Can't you do that on the way back? I'll be late."

"Oh, all right. I'll wander through a dark and deserted office building all by myself. Don't worry about your poor mother when a cute girl is waiting."

"Really?"

My mother laughed. "No, silly."

We arrived at the mall with ten minutes to spare. "Give me a call when you're ready to come home," my mother instructed. I headed straight for the cinema, which adjoined the foodcourt, so there were loads of people milling about. I walked all around the perimeter of the ticket area before I spotted Megan talking to some other girls.

"Hi Megan."

"Oh hi Jamie. We've been waiting for you." Megan was much more casually dressed today, kakhi shorts, sandals, and a pink top but no nylons. One of the other girls was Kim, someone I barely knew from our class. I had never seen the other two. "These are my cousins Sandy and Michelle and you know Kim." We exchanged greetings then it struck me that Megan had said "we."

Kim put her hand to her mouth and giggled. "I don't believe it. You weren't kidding."

"I told you," said Megan. "I think they look good on him."

Kim leaned down toward my legs. "Are you shaving your legs too or do you just not have much leg hair."

"I've been shaving. My mom said my hose wouldn't look very good with hairy legs."

"She's right," said Kim.

"You really like wearing nylons?" asked one of the cousins. "I hate 'em. They're so itchy."

"I guess I don't wear the itchy kind."

All four girls laughed. "So what brand are you wearing? Or does your mom buy them for you?"

"These are Leggs, sheer energy."

"He's got legs," sang the other cousin, which caused all the girls but Megan to laugh some more.

I was feeling uncomfortable. "Are we all going to the movie?"

"Yeah," said Megan. "Didn't I tell you. You thought it was just you and me?" Kim rolled her eyes.

"Well, yeah. That's what I thought you said."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

There were a few moments of awkward silence. Why did she want me to tag along with her and her friends? "So are we going to see?" I asked.

"We have two choices," said Megan. She told me about the two options, noting at the conclusion of her explanation that they needed a tie breaking vote. Both movies were teen chick-flicks. I didn't want to see either one. I asked Megan which was her choice and voted for that one.

I followed behind the girls as we purchased our tickets. I have to make the best of this I told myself.

"Do you want to share a popcorn?" I asked Megan.

"Sure, that would be great."

I purchased two drinks and a large popcorn.

"Aren't you going to buy one for me too?" asked Kim.

"I don't have that much money."

"He just doesn't like you," Megan retorted.

Kim laughed. "Like a care," she said quietly but loud enough for me to hear.

We filed into the theater as the previews were starting with me trying to manage two drinks and a large popcorn in the dark. I took a seat at the end of our short queue next to Megan. We had to sit together since we were sharing the popcorn. We didn't talk much during the movie. The girls actually seemed interested. Megan ate some of the popcorn I offered but I ended up eating most of it. We left as the credits were rolling.

"So what should we do now?" asked Megan when we were back in the foodcourt.

"I probably ought to head home."

"Is your mommy waiting for you?" asked Kim.

"Kim," cried Megan, "quit being such a bitch."

"I'm just teasing him."

"I'm starved," said one of the cousins.

"Hey Megan," said Kim, "is that Josh Martins?"

"It is." Kim and Megan waved at Josh. He was a year ahead of us in school, a running back who had managed to letter on the varsity as a freshman. He was standing around with two of his jock friends that I didn't know.

"He's coming over," exclaimed Kim, who suddenly stood up straight and stuck out her chest.

I stood behind the girls, wondering if I should just leave, but I had to say goodbye to Megan. Her eyes were locked on Josh and his bulging biceps.

"Hi Megan, Kim, ladies."

They all said hi to Josh and Megan introduced him to her cousins.

"So what are you up to," he asked.

"We just saw a movie," answered Megan. "We're thinking about getting something to eat."

"Care to join us?" asked Josh.

"For sure," exclaimed Kim.

The three guys and four girls moved away toward the food court. I stood my ground, wondering if they would even notice. Megan turned and fluttered her fingers at me. "Bye Jamie."

to be continued

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ouch!

after all of the indignities, Jamie is enduring to be with her, near her, and she flutters her fingers good bye? ouch.

Good work Jeremy. I can't wait for the next installments.

A.A.

Oh now, well

gheez. That's got to snap him up some now doesn't it?

The writing, as it is, is fine Jeremy, but about the plot? I mean, wow, is Jamie for real? *Of course not, you silly goose, it's a s-t-o-r-y. It's made up * But, really Jeremy, what gives? I can understand he is gullible, naive, but when is he learning? He's not thinking. He should begin to assert himself just a little bit. Naah a tad. Quite some actually. In fact, he should shape up radically.
I don't mean he'd have to become mr. Macho all of a sudden, but setting him up even more in the near future wouldn't add to this story, is my humble belief.

So a change must be coming, I guess. I think there should be introduced someone who is going to take care of poor Jamie, in such a way that he will become someone to envy, instead of growing ridicule. I sense a dark descend into the pitfalls of girlie hood, real gruesome tale you know, a twisted hazardous path with quite some epiphany's which we'd like to witness and cherish. And some romance, definitely some romance, if you please? Thank you :)

Jo-Anne

Come now Jo-Anne....

This is Jeremy's story. let him write it. I agree that Jamie is a bit of a 'wet noodle' who is getting tossed around and conned into things that probibly wouldn't happen, but I think Jeremy already has something planned that we will like. Lets see where he takes us.

waiting in anticipation.

A.A.

Yep.

Nice job Jerremy. Nice sentences, good story line.

Gwenellen

I'm only surprised that mom

I'm only surprised that mom didn't pick up a dress or two when he was changing into the capri pants. He'll have to fight soon or his clothes will start to turn pink in a washing 'incident'.

Best wishes in bringing more of the story view to the page Jeremy.

Yeah.. Well.. But.. Um

Naoww... I didn't mean so. You know. Gosh. 'course it's Jeremy's telling. Ghee..
It's just, just, soo.. *picks at some lint* annoying, sorta.

But yeah, I guess.. *shuffles feet* uhmm... Jeremy? I'm sorry. Please forgive me.
I'd like you to tell some more. Okay?

Jo-Anne

My Summer in Pantyhose

Let's see how Jeremy develops this story. I am disappointed in Megan, but remember Julie seemed to have something on her mind the night before the "date." Megan appears to not be everything she appeared to be in previous chapters.

Huh?

Jamie Lee's picture

Just what in the heck is mom doing? Jamie said he wanted to stop wearing pantyhose, and now mom has him in capris. And a girls top. And the mules. He was only supposed to being wearing pantyhose 24/7 for the summer. The really weird thing is when Jamie questions her choice of clothing, she acts like it's no big deal. That boys wear those types of clothing all the time. Has she a secret wish which she's having Jamie live?

Those girls are really having a field day with Jamie. They give him the impression they want to be with him only to pull out the rug from under him. What Megan did was really cold. She asks him to a movie, doesn't let him in on the others who will also be coming, then when the jocks arrive, drops Jamie like a hot potato. She has no idea how much she just sliced Jamie's self confidence to ribbons.

If things keep going as they are, Jamie will be so hurt he'll open his own hole and climb in it where no one can touch him.

Others have feelings too.