Jihad 6.03

Printer-friendly version

Jihad
6.3 Iran
by Red MacDonald
Copyright © 2013 Red MacDonald
All Rights Reserved.

The Faithful, North African and Middle Eastern Islamic nations, are plotting to seize the oil resources of the Middle East. By controlling the earth's oil and its major trade routes, they plan to bring the world to its knees. Then, when the entire world is kneeling, the Faithful of Allah will read to them from the Koran, preaching the message of Islam, the True Faith. The Faithful will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. But how far will they go? And how many lives will it cost?

Buhayrat.jpg

6. World War

6.3 Iran

* * * * *

6.3.1 Syrian Front

"What do you mean the Jews have crossed Nahr al-A'waj?" General Tavid Hammedyanni screamed at his Iraqi counter-part. "Where were the Syrians? We were to have moved in there tomorrow, and they knew it. All they had to do was hold out for another eight hours!"

"Yes, General, yes." The Iraqi still hadn't gotten used to the hysterical outbursts from the Persian general. He had been told to cooperate and coordinate with him, and he was doing his best to do so. But, the fool didn't seem to realize that the world did not operate according to his meticulous and carefully drafted schedules. The Jewish air attack on their train and the sixteen hour delay weren't in his schedule, for instance. For the grandson of an Imam, this one had much to learn about the ways of Allah.

"The Syrians," the Iraqi explained calmly, "have withdrawn their forces to fight in front of Damascus, as your schedule demanded. We should have been in Hijanah this morning. We would have been if the train had not been attacked, but it was, and we are not. So, we will have to fight them. It is unfortunate, but it is the will of Allah, General.

"Instead of screaming at our misfortune, should we not be planning our assault? The Jews will have been there for only a few hours. They will not have had the time to develop strong defenses, and the Jews prefer the offensive to the defensive.

"We have two strong divisions against what appears to be one Jewish brigade. We will sweep them aside, regain the Awaj, and, once again, force them to attack our strong defensive positions, as we had planned."

"Yes, it is the will of Allah," Hammedyanni agreed. "Let us do as you say."

The staff of the Ninth Republican Guards Army worked swiftly and efficiently. The Syrian patrols that had been left behind to guide the Assyrians into position had been overwhelmed. But, they had used their brains and their eyes. They had monitored the Jews' advance and counted their numbers. They had watched the Jews seize the Hijanah sector and then saw them pull up into defensive positions for the night. They saw no hint of fortifications, trenches, or berms. They reported that the Jews were continuing their march towards Damascus as though they were parading through Tel Aviv. The Jews could not possibly realize that they faced both Iraq's Second Armored Division and its Fifteenth Infantry Division.

Orders were issued. Men and equipment were mustered and moved out. The Second Armored was sent to the west to sweep down the long plain between Jaramanah and the Jews, to use its strength and speed to overcome the natural advantage given to the defense. Most of the Fifteenth Division moved down the western side of the great salt marsh of Utaybah. One infantry regiment was sent to its eastern side between the marsh and the heights of Dakwah to flank the Jews.

'Infantry in the marshes and mountains, armored in the plains. That is how it should be,' Hammedyanni considered as he studied his maps. 'If we can get our artillery into position in time, that will be the decisive advantage, assuming, of course, that the Syrian Air Force can keep the Jews' planes off of our troops long enough for them to engage.'

* * * * *

6.3.2 Attack at Harran

Dawn had come and gone, and with it the chance to surprise the Jews. One hour passed and then another. Once again, Hammedyanni's schedule had been thrown to the winds by senseless politicians masquerading as generals.

General Hammedyanni fumed in helpless rage. So what if the artillery wasn't in place? Attack without it. So what if the Syrian Air Force wasn't ready? They hadn't been ready since the beginning of the war. Did they think a few more hours would change that? All they had done was permit the Jews to have a full night's sleep, a fine breakfast, and the time to clean and prepare their weapons.

Orders arrived from Army Headquarters. The artillery barrage would begin at 09:00. The troops would jump off at that time and advance under its protective blanket. At 09:30, the barrage would cease, and the Syrian Air force would take up the coverage while the artillery moved forward to new support positions.

Hammedyanni's watch crawled. Seconds dragged by, and minutes seemed like hours. He paced back and forth behind the plotting table watching the Iraqis for any trace of cowardice, disrespect, disloyalty or, worst of all, insubordination. He found none. Unlike in his own army, underlings stood at attention when a superior officer was present. Their uniforms were clean and pressed, and, except for their luxuriant mustaches, they all seemed to be perfect soldiers.

Boom! Boom! The firing of the great guns startled him. He had been concentrating on other things and time had flown by. He stepped out of the tent to look east and west at the long line of guns. Their crews were working them energetically, their shirts off and sweat pouring from their young bodies. He timed the firing of the nearest two-hundred millimeter howitzer. They were firing at almost exactly two shells per minute, well within guidelines. Excellent!

A sharper staccato roar underlay the heavy pounding of the artillery. He looked further afield, and saw a huge cloud of dust boiling up from the west. 'Aha,' he thought, 'the armor! Now we'll see some action!' But, he couldn't. They were too far away and traveling fast. He turned and reentered the command tent.

Talkers and spotters were busily moving small wooden tiles across the map. Both the Fifteenth and the Second were advancing as planned. They moved neither too quickly, so as to drive into their own barrage, nor too slowly so as to lose the benefits of its protection.

Hammedyanni glanced at his watch. The half hour was almost up. Where were the Syrians?

The air above him split with the thunder of mighty jet engines. Dozens of fighters armed with rockets and bombs were screaming southward. In their wake came the helicopters. Syrian and Iraqi gunships surged forward to follow up on the destruction caused by the fighters and to support the direct assault by the armored and infantry divisions. It was right out of the book. A Russian book, true, but the Faithful had learned to turn the Infidel's knowledge against them.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Russian book

It was right out of the book. A Russian book, true, but the Faithful had learned to turn the Infidel's knowledge against them.

The last time the Russian Combat Bible actually worked in full-scale conventional combat was WWII when those tactics were developed. Yes, they worked initially during the 1973 war between Egypt and Israel however once the Israeli's regrouped, the Egyptians got crushed by the better trained Israeli military. However, in 1973, the Israeli's were not prepared for the initial Egyptian attack. In this case though, the Israeli's know that they are out-numbered and are expecting to get hit at any time. The Israeli's also know just what is at stake here which is their very existance. They are fighting to protect their loved one's back in Israel and know what will happen to them if they fail.

Slightly used army for sale

Capable of retreating at high speed was the joke that went around the squadron in regards to the Syrians and Egyptians back in 73. Given that the Israelis have their backs up, know just what the stakes are, have the men and materiel in place, the land will run red with blood and no quarter will be given.