Evolution, Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
punk.jpg
Jacob seemed like a normal boy growing up with a single mom.
That all changed on one traumatic day.

May 7, 2010. A day that changed everything for him.

He began to evolve!

Evolution
Chapter 6

by Torey

Copyright © 2013 Torey
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
The image comes from a punk rock girls hairstyle website. It is only meant represent the character.
 


 
 
"I cannot get used to the look," Mr. Palmer told Jade as she sat in the principal's office.

Jade's dark hair was highlighted by purple, pink and blue. She wore a sleeveless black top, blue jean skirt, black tights with holes, tennis shoes, make up, purple lipstick.

And a stud piercing in her nose.

"Did you really have to dress like this on your first day back to school?" He asked.

"Dress like what?" Jade asked.

"Don't try to be smart, Jacob," the principal said. "We never really had trouble out of you before."

Jade rolled her eyes.

"It's Jade, the name is Jade," Jade quietly.

"Yes, Jade," the principal replied.

It had been an eventful few days for Jade.

Her mother requested the school board accept her enrollment of Jade as a girl. The board refused, but settled for a compromise. Jade could dress as a girl, but nothing too radical. As long as it matched the dress code for girls.

And the first few days, Jade wore the usual. T-shirts, jeans. Gender neutral clothes.

But Jade caused a stir changing for gym. Changing revealed her wearing panties and a bra in front of the boys in the lockerroom. A couple of boys laughed. But most just stood and stared. Even Coach Jackson was shocked.

Jade felt a little uncomfortable.

"But I've been raped by a man," she told Raven. "After that, this was nothing."

After school, a boy called Jade queer and pushed her into a locker. She kneed the boy in the balls and flipped him over her shoulder, The self defense classes paid off.

The boy was sent to alternative school. Jade served a four-day suspension.

Even the conservative school board felt Jade had a right to defend herself.

After the incident, Jade told her mother there was no longer hiding who she was. That's why she decided on the wardrobe she now wore in the principal's office.

It was similar to what Raven wore, and Kat wore.

"I'm not in trouble, am I?" Jade asked.

"Well, the lockerroom incident sort of unnerved Coach Jackson," Mr. Palmer said. "Tried to figure out what to do with you. But Miss Louellen has decided to take you on in her squad. But I have to get permission from you and your mother to transfer you to girls P.E. Also, given the incident, you have permission to use the girl's bathroom."

"That's it?" Jade asked. "Shouldn't I be doing that anyway?"

Jade thought she was there because of the way she dressed. She gladly took the principal's note and walked out.

"So you're not in anymore trouble?" Raven asked.

"Nope," Jade replied. "It was just something pretty stupid."

****

"You wanted to see me, Miss Baker?" Jade asked her English.

"Yes, come into my humble abode," the young teacher said about her small office. "Take a seat."

"Not in trouble, am I?" Jade asked.

"No, you are one of my best students," Miss Baker said. "You're also one of my most unique students."

Lori Baker was Jade's favorite teachers. She was edgy. She listened to some of her favorite music artists. The fact that her teacher had a photo made with Pink increased her street cred.

"I wanted to talk to you about your poem submissions from your last assignment," Miss Baker said.

"Hope I did OK," Jade said.

"They're a little dark, a little serious," Miss Baker said. "And given your experiences, there's probably a reason for that. But I found them to be extraordinary."

"Thanks, I think?" Jade said.

"It's a compliment," Miss Baker said. "Best submissions in the class. You've got a gift."

Jade smiled.

"I'm sure my mom will be glad to hear that," Jade said.

"I didn't entirely ask you here to discuss your grade," Miss Baker said. "I have to send nominations for Dickenson College's poetry contest. The nominees get to particpate in a poetry slam the weekend the awards ceremony is held. I nominate four girls each year. Amy McGruder, Tasha Voss and Raven Torre are three of my confirmed nominees. Raven's a friend of yours, correct?"

"Yes, and I think that sounds really cool," Jade said. "I think that's something Raven would really like to do."

"But is it something you would like to do, that's what I want to know," Miss Baker said.

"Me?" Jade asked.

"Yes, you," Miss Baker said. "It's a female-only competition. It's a women's college. They are very open minded. They accept Transgendered female students. And they accept entries from transgendered students. I want to send the four best girls from this school to the competition. Is there any reason I shouldn't submit your work for the contest?"

"What about the school board?" Jade asked.

"What about it?" Miss Baker said. "Dickenson College does not go by what the school board says. I talked to them this morning. Are you a girl or not?"

Suddenly, Jade broke into tears.

"Without a doubt," Jade answered.

"Well, Miss Hunter, you don't have to prove anything to me," Miss Baker said as she handed her a tissue.

"Have your mother sign this form, and we're all set," Miss Baker said. "You'd be rooming with Raven and Tasha. They've alread cleared it with their mothers," Miss Baker added.

"Guess I better go to class," Jade said as she picked up her books.

"Nice skirt, by the way," Miss Baker said. "That's a really good look for you."

*****

"So where is the ..." Katrina asked.

"Oh Kat, you're kidding me," Jade said as she pulled on her gym shorts.

"Well, you know it does appear to be missing," Shelly said.

"Ladies, we hit the gym in five minutes," Coach Louellen yelled.

Jade rolled her eyes.

"I keep the 'thing' tied down," Jade said. "You wouldn't believe how hard that is to do."

"It's amazing," Kat said. "You couldn't tell you have one."

"Katrina!" Shelly said.

"It's OK," Jade said. "I'll have to put up with it until the 'thing' gets cut off when I'm 18."

"Wow, that's blunt," Katrina said.

"But I have to say, there wasn't as much gawking as there was in the boy's lockerroom."

"What, you think we haven't seen a girl in bras and panties before?" said a girl in their class named Sara, who eavesdropped on the conversation.

"I believe that is the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me," Jade said with a laugh to Katrina and Shelly as they entered the gym.

They found out it was self defense day. And it was the same cop from the Y.

And the same result. Jade flipped the cop much to the amusement of her fellow classmates.

The cop had some healthy tips. But Shelly and Jade had been through it before and were pros.

"Nice job out there, Miss Hunter," Coach Louellen said as she asked Jade into her office.

"I think I've been in everyone's office today," Jade said as she sat down.

"The school board almost wouldn't let you in this class," Coach Louellen said. "But I told them you wouldn't be a disruption."

"I appreciate it, coach," Jade said.

"You're not as rebellious as you put on," Coach Louellen said. "You want to know why I suggested you join my squad?"

Jade was curious. Not every faculty member was as welcoming as Coach Louellen or Miss Baker.

"I don't think it's a secret about my orientation," Coach Louellen said. "I know what it's like to be different."

She was right. Jade, well, pretty much the whole school knew Coach Louellen was a lesbian. She'd caught some flack for that, too.

"When I watched you, I didn't see a boy pretending to be a girl," she said. "I just saw a girl. Now if you ever turn back into that scrawny boy that started at this school a couple of years ago, then you're out."

"That's not happening," Jade said as she walked out the door.

"And Jade, I also know what was done to you," Coach Louellen said. "I know what you and Shelly and a few other girls went through. I went through the same when I was a kid. You're not alone. Remember that."

"I will," Jade said.

*****

"How was you're first day back?" Jade's mom asked when she got in the car.

"It really wasn't a bad day," Jade said. "Got some forms for you to sign. They put me in a girls' P.E. class, and Miss Baker's nominated me for an award. They need you to sign on for both."

"Girls P.E. class?" his mom asked.

"Yeah, and I get to use the girls bathroom," Jade said. "I know, real exciting stuff."

Her mom laughed, and then ran her fingers through her blossoming daughter's hair.

"Good to see you in a good mood," her mom said. "You've been a little moody since you started on the hormones."

"I'm sorry about that," Jade said. "Lincoln has noticed it, too. I don't mean to be so moody."

"That's OK," her mom said. "I scheduled us for a mani-pedi, if you don't think that's too girlie. I'm stressed out, I sure could use it. I'm sure they have black toe nail polish if you'd like."

"Never had that before, so I don't think it's too girlie," Jade said. "But I was thinking something more along the lines or purple or blue."

Her mother laughed.

"Somehow, I knew you wouldn't go for something 'normal'," her mom said. "Jade Naomi Hunter, you are one of a kind."
 


 
 
To Be Continued...
 

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Reveling in the mundane....

Andrea Lena's picture

...sometimes it's the simplest things that bring the greatest joy; one of them being able to be exactly who we are. And really, aren't we all one of a kind? Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Evolution

Another Great Chapter. Thanks Torey!

Richard

Very Nice

And thankfully did not say plum, But would have been okay.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I just read chapters 1-6 at one sitting, and ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... I certainly hope there are more chapters to come.

I really am enjoying this story, mostly because it seems to be taking the road less traveled in the nature vs, nurture reason for TS debate. The author gives no indications that Jake was anything other than a normal boy - small and scrawny and nerdy - but still within normal (or socially acceptable) standards for a boy before the incident. No hint of "normal boy" being a disguise, either. TS in this story is pretty clearly a result of nurture, though Jade may be rationalizing otherwise.

My position in this debate is that either reason or a combination of both for TS are valid.

BE a lady!

Thanks Torey!!

Pamreed's picture

For making my day!! Jade is a super strong girl, who knows what she wants!! Like I said
before it just takes society a while to figure out we are who we say we are!! Some never
get it, but that is their problem!!!

Hugs,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Torey...

I missed this work of art when you first put it on BC. I have just finished reading the entire work and I am very impressed with the emotion and the style. It is a very dark tale but the characters are not dark. You present the "suck it up and get on with life" option very, very well. To me, it makes the story powerful. The lack of full explanations gives your writing punch. While Jade & Mom are victims, you portray them as survivors.

Thank you for a beautifully presented tragic tale with individuals developing coping skills by adopting positive attitudes.

I am looking forward to reading more of your work.

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

"What it's like to be different."

I like the English and Gym teacher. They both look with other senses than just their eyes. They use their hearts.
hugs
Grover

Nice Evolution in this story!

Jade's the real deal, Jacob? Who's Jacob? School issues dealt with, what's next? Did they ever prosecute those thugs a few chapters back? Thanks Torey! Loving Hugs Talia