The clothes make the man.

Printer-friendly version

Sigh, I hated doing this. waiting till the last moment to search for a Halloween costume was natural when you hated trying to go to all the boring parties, mixers, and office get togethers filled with horrid crepe and dismal, ancient, and sad decorations dragged out of must basements or mouse inhabited attics. The smell of mold and rodent crap clung to an otherwise wonderful holiday like a miasma of failure.

Hope springs eternal though, so I was willing to give it that one last try I also gave the three years previous. I was sure I'd find someone who loved the season...the darkness, the pure worship of entropy, that this time of year properly was. Of course, while a soul mate would be nice...I had to admit I had far less lofty objectives in mind most of the time. Which was why I was staring at a specialty shop's mask rack now, on the off chance I'd be invited to a party of like minded individuals who would debate with me the values of Poe and Keats, and then later screw my brains out.

"Excuse me sir, can I help you find what you need?"

Well, that was a step in the right direction...I looked down to see a woman of perhaps college age and average height, with auburn hair and large breasts peeking out of her body hugging dress. The name tag tackily applied to it read: "Trisha."

"Just looking for a last minute costume...and maybe a date?"

She ran her tapered nails along my shirt in a gesture I'd seen before, desire blazing behind her eyes.

"Well handsome I can help with one, and I might be able to help with the other."

"Well...what do you recommend?"

"Depends on what you like; we still have a good selection. Do you have an idea on your party theme?"

I'd never even heard of a party theme for Halloween before. To my knowledge everyone came with random costumes.

"Well that would be...up to you?"

I winced internally at the hopeful note in my voice; it was best not to come on too strong or desperate in such situations. But I couldn't help myself, she was gorgeous!

"Oh, well....the store has it's own party in house, and all the employees and their people attend. Our only theme is linked costumes. That is, you and I for example....would have matching masks and costumes. So do you want to go, handsome?"

"As your...guest? Sure."

"Not as my guest...as our guest. Hey gang, what do you think?"

Trisha was soon joined by loveliness of three other flavors, ranging average height to 6 feet, sporting similar dresses, and hair of blueberry, black licorice, and white as premium vanilla ice cream. did modeling have to be a requirement of working here? Seriously, this was ridiculous...even my gym didn't have this many hot bods per foot.

"so this is Anne, Becca, and Holly. We all find ourselves without suitable companionship for tomorrow night...care to be our date?"

"All of you?"

My slightly shell shocked question was answered with nods and broad, almost predatory grins.

"Um, sure. So what is your theme?"

"Oh, we're all wenches...you get to be the pirate. You're bigger than good old captain jack, but you'd make a mean Blackbeard...once we get you a beard. What do you think girls?"

More nods met that question.

"Count me in; got nothing else going on, what do I need to do?"

"Well our costumes are all linked as a series. So is Blackbeard. He's right down this aisle."

She led the way, her silent friends bringing up the rear, all grins and waves. I whispered back to the blue one, Anne I was hoping.

"So, can the rest of you talk?"

"Of course.' she responded in a perfect bedroom voice. 'Trish is just the most outgoing of us. Don't worry, you're in good hands...we only bite if you want us to."

Oh, shit.

"do I need safe words?"

"Maybe; Becca can get carried away at times."

"Ahem, ladies, minds on task please. Pleasure later."

"Yes boss!" they all chorused, on cue.

"Now, all the parts of costume number 27 in large or extra large ladies...one full Blackbeard. I'll handle the mask."

"A mask? Can't use my normal face with an eye patch or something?"

"No, not at all...you're far too handsome to be one of those sea dogs, especially black beard. Don't worry, all our products are of the highest quality. The only one able to tell that this face isn't yours is us."

She reached her objective and held it out, it was a full head mask with more hair than I've ever seen on a man. A full black zz top style beard, and black hair down past where my shoulder blades would be. The face itself was ruddy, scarred, weather beaten, and looked completely real. It also had a scar down the left eye.

"Your call, to go eye patch or not."

"Wow this is amazing...you sure you didn't skin a guy?" I inspected the inside. The mask even felt like skin, at least from the outside. But no skinning marks or anything and it felt like latex on the inside. It was more thin than I expected too, like it would mold over my features rather than overwriting them.

"not at all, that would be illegal; but we did the next best thing. That is a mold of a real mans face."

"Oh and no, no eye patch, I love my depth perception. No fan of peg legs and hook hands either."

"Well Blackbeard didn't have either of those, just wanted to be sure on how close to the original you wanted to be. Go ahead, try it on, usually they are once size fits all, but always best to check."

Finding a small zipper in back under the hair, I unzipped it to give my head room and shoved it on. It fit like the proverbial glove, though a bit loose since I wasn't about to zip it up.

"Hmm, looks perfect from here. Any thoughts?"

"No, if you think it looks good, I'm sure it does. Serves the purpose at any rate."

"Then shall we wait at the register for the girls to get back with the rest?"

"Sure."

She led the way through the still packed aisles.

"I must say, you are easier to please than most customers I deal with."

Looking at that saucy grin I found that statement hard to believe.

"I doubt that, but telling someone they are going to be escorted by four lovely ladies to a party is a sure way to get them to agree to just about anything."

"Perhaps, some can resist but..."

"Hey boss! Got the goods from aisle 4." the blue headed one came back, with various bits of costume jewelry encased in plastic baggies marked with tags.

"Anne, right? what is all this?"

"Yes sir, I'm Anne, and this is all the rings, necklaces, and other assorted bling that pirates of the period would wear. Don't worry, the earrings only go into the ears of the mask, not yours."

"Hadn't even considered that, but good to know. High end costumes seem to be much more involved than I'm used to."

"Don't worry sir, it is our job to make you look as good as possible."

"While being someone as different from yourself as possible. Hey boss, got the pantaloons, shirt, vest and wicked hat."

The raven tressed helper sauntered up behind, sliding an arm around me, hot breath caressing my cheek.

"And I have the boots and weapons. Please don't harass the paying customers, 'Becca."

"Wait, weapons?"

"Fake cutlass, fake flintlock, fake knife, and boots, in a size 11...That is your size, correct?"

"Oh, fake ones. Yeah I'm a size 11, how did you know?"

"I'm very good at my job sir."

"So, all your costumes are period costumes, and linked with mine? I'm coming to your party?"

They all nodded expectantly and seemed to hold their breath. I could feel the tension rise as I considered.

"Then I'll take it."

"Alright!"

'Becca yelled, jumping into the air and pumping a fist. Holly and anne wore matching smiles, while Trisha wore a Cheshire grin.

"Very good sir, as you can tell by the girls, we were sort of hard up for an escort too, and everyone who works for our company is expected to bring at least one person in. While this isn't ideal, since we only have you, no offense intended, it's a bit better than not having anyone."

"Why?" I replied as I handed her my credit card.

"Well our boss loves the season as much as we do, and wants a higher people count simply because it's more fun. I mean don't get me wrong, we don't get in trouble or anything, but its like an office party. You don't get many social points if you don't have a date."

"Heh, been there, done that. Not like I'm doing much tomorrow anyway, I'll be happy to help."

Trisha bagged my purchases up and handed my card back with the receipt.

"My number is on the receipt; I'll call you if plans change. Otherwise just simply drop by at 5, when we close. I'll be here to let you in, the party is in the back."

"Sounds good to me, if I don't hear from you I'll just pop on by at 5, right?"

"that's right, don't keep us waiting now."

I nodded numbly and walked out to 'Becca's cry of "Later stud!"

I hopped in my much beloved and restored 1972 mustang and drove off. Deciding to favor speed over my usual scenic route driving and going straight through the middle of town. Twenty minutes later and I was watching an old episode of "lost" with a whiskey sour in hand. However, I just couldn't get those women out of my head. there was something about them beyond the normal; I was sure of it. So while I let the next episode spooled up, I found the bag on the floor where I'd thrown it and dumped it.

The clothing was still in its own plastic, so I wasn't worried about that. The cutlass didn't fit in the bag, so I looked at that first. Almost three feet black metal, oddly enough. Iron perhaps judging by the weight. It was a weapon in truth even though it wasn't sharpened. The sheath was real leather and capped on the ends with what I took to be bronze. Very odd and very high quality for a costume.

The jewelry was more of the same; there was a ring for every finger, a rainbow per hand, rubies amethysts jade and diamonds. It looked like real silver, gold, and gems, but that couldn't be right, since the receipt showed a measly 60 dollars, and real stones would be somewhere in the thousands if not higher. But I could see no hint of paste, and the gems didn't look like glass to me....

Couldn't be, I'm not a jeweler. They must just be better fakes than I'm used to. The clothes were ripped directly from the time, a tri-corner hat, cotton pantaloons, large leather boots with square buckles on them, a white silk shirt that did that whole poofy thing around the sleeves and had lace around the collar, and a large red jacket complete with tails, gold brocade, and gold buttons. A curious mix of humble and wealthy that spoke pirate in any language. And the mask...the more I looked at it, the more it looked real. It even felt real. The hair was likely 100% real human hair, and the skin felt like skin, if cold. It was downright creepy.

Those women were good.

I gathered the costume up and put everything back where it belonged. No longer interested in lost (I'd only seen it all three times and counting) I finished my whiskey and went to sleep; after all, I had work in the morning.

The morning began, much as it does for everyone else...to the irritating siren song of the alarm clock. Smelling my automatic coffee maker already in action, I headed to the shower to wash up. fifteen minutes later I was showered with a clean suit on, almost ready to begin the wage slave blues; But I wasn't awake, which was why I tripped over that bag in my floor and slammed my face into the couch.

Cursing, I realized I'd missed the sharp edge of my coffee table by mere inches. Then I realized what I'd tripped over, and checked it. Good, no damage to it at all, the sword (the item I'd tripped over) hadn't bent. Only 30 minutes to get to work, so I grabbed my coffee, grabbed the bag, and grabbed some unheated pop tarts, hitting the door running.

I made it to the office just in time, clocking in right at nine. Roger, my loving boss, was waiting there like a vulture scenting carrion.

"Hi boss."

"Hello Chris...trying for the grunge look again I see."

"I conform to office dress code Roger, but thanks for asking."

"I need that new log in page for our clients today."

"Buck said it's not due till Friday Roger...but it'll be done by the time I leave today, thanks for your concern."

I pushed past him, having exhausted my quota of middle management asshole today. Sat down at my lovely cubicle, typed my password in, and got started. The current client is a browser games company (perhaps one step above malware). They wanted a new webpage for their main site, and didn't want to pull their own code monkeys for the job, since they were busy actually developing new games. That was where the company I worked for, and therefore myself, came in.

Digital management solutions, we do the grunt work so you don't have to. Not really our motto, but close enough.

Even with the break at 10:30 to get a red bull, I was done with the coding by 12. Wouldn't do to let Roger know that however; I appreciate my lazy half days. Do this well enough, and I can have a lazy Friday as well. Grabbing a vendor sandwich (tuna) I settled back in lazy ease to eat it.

"Hey Chris, you coming to the office party tonight?"

"Oh hell no...got myself a date with some hot chicks."

"Plural?"

"That's right."

"Damn, you're an ass."

"Guilty as charged. Won't have to deal with the same old office crap this year, thank whatever devils rule the season. Sorry to leave you in the lurch though."

"I'll survive I guess; you done with your page yet? I'm really having trouble with the pay page."

"So hey, how about those jets?"

We discussed football till the half hour ended, and we were both due back for another half daily dose of hell. I started my next project for giggles, but my heart wasn't in it. In fact I was getting more and more nervous. By 3 I was such a wreck of anticipation there was no way I could focus anymore. Which I had anticipated.

Time to leave.

Roger caught up to me as I was clocking out; I pictured him waiting there hunched in an a cubicle like a a suited gargoyle, blood on his teeth and claws poised to ambush the unwary.

"Leaving so soon? Buck sure will be disappointed."

"Nah, not really Roger, he gave me the go ahead Monday to take the early day...provided the page was done. And it's done. Check your email. Ta!"

Ahh, leaving him standing there, speechless, never got old, no matter how many times I did it. Being efficient had it's perks.

In the car I picked up the card I left there the night before, and called it.

"Hello, Ye olde costume shop, may I help you?"

"Hi Trisha, it's Chris, the guy you asked to come to your party? I'm done with work a bit early, mind if I show up?"

"Sure Chris, no problem...but some of us are still working, so you might be forced to entertain yourself for awhile. Lot's of last minute shoppers."

"I can manage, I'm sure. Just thought I'd call ahead as you requested."

"Yeah everything is A OK, come on over. The staff will be happy to see you."

Even with the light traffic, it took just under 40 minutes to reach the shop. The place might have been packed earlier, but it was empty now, and looked like a tornado hit it. Masks, costumes, bits of costumes, and other miscellaneous crap littered the aisles.

"Holy crap, quite the bomb got set off in here."

"Three buses of catholic school kids attended by nuns leave quite the lasting impression on any location."

Holly stated, having heard me from her position near the door. She and Becca were trying to put this section at least, back together.

"hope they bought a lot."

"Not really, the hazards of our profession."

"Well I'm not doing much, I'll just help."

"Oh we couldn't have you do that, it's our job after all."

"So you want me to get bored watching you? Nah, you can't stop me." I suited action to my words.

"Thanks sir."

"Chris. My name is Chris. If we are going to party together, sir is kind of awkward."

"Thank you Chris. Those nuns weren't nearly strict enough."

We crawled our way through the store, rearranging shelves, picking up various fallen items from the floor, and picking up trash.

"Well, thank you very much for your help Chris. We really appreciate it."

Trisha whispered in my ear, sliding her arms around my waist in a hug. Just like that my heart started racing again.

"so you did remember your costume yes?"

"It's in the car. I'll just go get it."

"You do that; for saving us some time to get ready, we will help you get ready too."

"Uh....thanks."

As soon as I walked back in, admiring the now clean shop, she grabbed me by the tie and led me past a door marked 'employee's only'. A modest break room greeted me, with a kitchenette to one side and 2 bathrooms to the other, and a steel padlocked door straight ahead, showing just a touch of rust. Trish noticed my gaze and and gestured to the men's room.

"Over there Chris, just put everything on and we'll get you all...adjusted when you come out. That door leads to the party, once we are all properly attired."

I needed no further encouragement. The bathroom was sparkling clean, as if someone had cleaned it just before I entered...I could see my teeth sparkle in the floor tiles. It spoke to me of simple, old, and expensive elegance, with a small chandelier and brass fixtures. My suit came off in record speed, and the pantaloons and shirt were on just as fast. Trish had a stopwatch going when I stepped out of the bathroom.

"you were right Becca, under 4 minutes. You win."

"What's going on?"

Becca sidled up to me, grabbing my hands with hers as she laughed.

"Nothing, stud. Just made a little bet here on whether you were the impatient type or not. Trish bet you'd be done in 5, i bet before 4."

"Did your other co-workers bet?"

"sure, but they thought you'd take more time to do things, so they weren't even close."

Holly responded. "I thought you would fold your suit, rather than just stuff it into your bag."

I sheepishly ran my hand through my hair at her look of faint disapproval.

"Sorry, but it'll just get cleaned anyway...and why buy wrinkle resistant clothes if you aren't going to put them through their paces?"

"Why indeed?" Anne responded.

"did you have a reason why I'd take longer Anne?"

"Of course I did Sir...I thought you'd take advantage and use the facilities."

"Heh. Maybe later."

"Well you've made a right mess of your costume already." Trisha stated, eyeing me critically.

"Oh? How so?"

"We will show you; Ladies?"

They swarmed me like a pack of flower scented dogs, grabbing rings off fingers and adjusting shirts and the like. Trisha put my mask on, which I considered it a bit early for.

"Isn't it a bit early in the night for this? I mean I'd like to eat and drink a bit before I get fully suited."

"Ahh but that is the greatest thing about our masks Chris."

She zipped it up and there was no room at all; no air movement that I could detect, and no slippage of the mask itself. Even it's lips fit over mine.

"Our masks are 100% usable any time, anywhere. We make the same product for the stage and movies. And yes, even the recent ones with all the CGI."

"So I can drink and eat with this thing on?"

"you'll have to clean it later of course, with alcohol...but yes; the inside is designed to gently stick to your skin, so it wont move; its porous, so your skin can breathe, but you'll have to make sure any crumbs on the lips for example, don't cause bacteria later. That kind of thing can be dangerous."

"And the rings stud...rubies always go to the ring finger for pirates." Becca added, shaking her head.

"Really?"

"Please sit down sir." I looked and Anne had my boots in her hands, gently pushing me to a chair.

"Sure."

I sat down and she slipped them on, and they fit as well as the mask. They felt padded...very comfortable.

"Your armaments sir."

Holly belted the fake cutlass and pistol around me, adjusting it till it was of proper rakish angle. They all stepped back.

"Well what do you think my lovelies?"

Trish met my eyes with hers.

"Perfect."

Becca Holly and Anne nodded, apparently speechless. I couldn't look that good...I wandered back into the bathroom to stand in front of the mirror.

Holy shit.

Long long long black hair running down to the middle of my back, a beard almost as long and done up in braids with copper rings or something close threading them. a thin straight red line of a scar down my left eye that looked like a sword wound, running completely vertical. The white silk shirt showed every muscle I'd spent so much time gaining in high school to great effect. The pantaloons were loose and tucked into my boot tops, almost completing the image.

In short, it looked like I had both stepped out of a painting from the 17th century...and a romance novel.

"Damn I look good. So do I pass? Am I worthy of the great artists?"

They shared a guarded look before replying the affirmative.

"Well now it's our turn Chris. The shop is closed, so it's safe to wait out there while we change. Scoot."

"Alright, just collect me when you're ready. I'll browse a bit more."

"Just remember, you break it, you buy it."

"Sure thing."

I went out and wandered the shelves, looking at the various vampires, werewolves, frankenstein monsters, ranging from cheap to highest quality. Oddly, nothing looked like my costume. Trish had called it a number 27...but no number 27, no silk shirts and weird jackets matching mine, and no other Blackbeard mask. Very odd...did I get the last one in the place? I mean I did do my costume shopping pretty late.

That must be it...but I didn't see any other costume in the store, no matter how well made, to match what I was wearing. All of that sold out too I guess. I settled in behind the counter to wait. I grabbed a magazine of the latest costume fashions from the rack of them next to the register.

Hmm, no Blackbeard or number 27 in it, either. It felt like an hour later when....

"OK Chris, we're ready; you're not asleep, right?"

"No I'm good. So...."

Again, holy shit. Trisha was wearing white; white pantaloons, white cotton shirt. Except...both were opaque, allowing the hint of white panties and a bra to be seen. Her legs were fantastic. She was all hints and suggestion to please the eye. Her dainty feet were not encased in any footwear.

What Trisha only hinted at, Becca stated outright. She was wearing what amounted to a harem girl outfit, all wisps of scarves matching her hair, knotted together to form clothes, after a fashion. Her generous bust was all but displayed, and anyone could tell that there was no way she was wearing panties of any color. Her footwear were sandals.

Anne was a match for me, a sort of nerdy first mate, with a white cotton shirt, grey skin tight pants, and black boots. She was dressed modestly, except everything seemed molded to her form, showing it all off in a manner that left nothing to the imagination of a rock. Her boots looked like mine, and she bore a rapier.

Holly was a match for Anne, except her shirt was grey and her pantaloons tan. Instead of a rapier she bore matching pistols. They all wore small silver collars with their names stamped into them.

"Pick your jaw up off the floor stud, you'll gather bugs."

I snapped out of my stupor with a herculean effort.

"Holy shit, and I thought I cleaned up nice."

"Thank you for the compliment sir."

"No problem Holly, and it's Chris. All of you should call me Chris."

"Alright Chris, one last thing to do before we join the party. You have to meet our boss. Just a formality, but he insists on it. Doesn't like people he hasn't met randomly showing up."

I laughed.

"Sounds like I'm meeting a father, concerned I'm here to take his daughters out to prom."

Their looks sobered a minute, tinged with something I couldn't place. Fear? Then so quickly I wasn't totally sure I'd seen it at all, it was gone, replaced by smiles.

"That's pretty much it; he is the owner, and our jobs could well be on the line."

"Well that sucks; I'll do my best to make a good impression, so don't worry."

"We don't really doubt you, after all you made a good impression on us."

Holly chimed in. The others nodded as Trisha took a key from around her neck and opened the large padlock to the steel door I noticed earlier.

The passage beyond was dark, despite the fluorescent lights struggling valiantly while flickering in fitful starts. It was cold too, just ever so slightly chilly as opposed to the shop itself. The beige wallpaper was tasteful but dingy, possibly very old, and matched the carpet to a tee.

My escorts strode down the hall with purpose, ignoring the first door (a right) in favor of the next (a left). The nameplate on the door stated boldly: 'the boss'. Trisha rapped softly on the door with a knuckle, the sound seemed louder than it should be.

"Boss, our escort is ready."

I couldn't quite hear was was said from the beyond the door, but Trisha seemed to take it as an affirmative.

"Go on in, we will be downstairs once you two are acquainted."

she pointed to the end of the hall, where I could see steps leading into pitch blackness.

"Will do."

I opened the door. Having some idea how to deal with fickle bosses, I put on my best 'I am serious' face.

"Good evening Sir."

The man behind the desk, just standing up, was large and wide in the big boned way, with sun kissed skin and a hale look, like a big blond quarterback smiling after the win of the big game. His blue eyes however...they seemed dead, glassy and lifeless.

"Call me Robert; and you're Chris, right?" His handshake was strong, hearty...but his hands were cold and clammy.

"that I am Robert. So, here I am."

"you are indeed. I'm sorry about this really, but last year 'Becca brought in a guy that was maybe a half step above a whino. Since then I've had to crack down. You arrived here in a suit, you've been courteous, you don't have any party 'extras' like strange liquor or drugs. A cut above the guy who caused such a disaster last year."

I relaxed a bit; I could actually see this guy's point. No one wanted to be the guy in charge of a disaster caused by some random asshole.

"I assure you Robert, I'm simply here to have a bit of harmless fun. I'm not the type to cause trouble."

"And my girls? You aren't going to try anything shady?"

Wow, this guy both cared and was an ass himself. I didn't know whether to be impressed or hate his guts.

"Robert, a dead man would be attracted to those women;' I stressed the word women. 'however if anything happens tonight it's strictly their choice."

We looked at each other for a long moment, and then he nodded.

"I believe you; enjoy the party Chris. We will talk again."

Not if I could help it. Next and last words said to this guy would be 'Good night, thanks for the party.'

I headed out with a wave and walked quickly to the concrete steps; they were lit now, and crepe bunting in a jaunty orange mixed with black led down the narrow staircase at shoulder height. There was another steel door 5 steps down which I assumed led to the back, the fire exit, It was unlocked and Anne was standing at the entrance.

"Hello Anne, I passed the audition. Your boss is something else."

She laughed nervously.

"Yeah, hes a bit protective of us...he say anything embarrassing?"

"He called you 'his girls', almost like we were partying by gaslight or something." I responded with a grin.

She blushed cutely, just a tinge of pink in an otherwise placid face.

"So...manning the doors, so to speak?"

"Yes, my duty as the most dressed of all of us. This is the entrance people normally come to the party from; more parking space in back."

"Good to know...hopefully I'll be invited back next year."

Her ready smile dimmed a bit, and she arched a perfect eyebrow.

"let's not jump ahead of ourselves quite yet, shall we? We hardly know each other after all."

"The night is young, plenty of chance for that. Shame your boss sort of has you working the party. I'll let you get back to it."

"I get paid for it, so it isn't all bad. Got to pay the bills after all."

"True enough, this isn't any worse than anything I've done for money. See you later."

"At least you avoided the rush!" she exclaimed as I walked out of sight.

"Hey Chris! good, it all went well then. Hey we forgot something. for your costume."

I turned around to see Becca smiling warmly at me...holding a live parrot. This particular parrot was a macaw I think, and huge. She placed him gently
on my shoulder where he stayed, staring at me.

"This is Smalls. hes on loan for tonight, and don;t worry, hes potty trained. He will behave, won't you Smalls?"

"Rawwk, Smalls behaves for pretty ladies rawk! Shiver me timbers!"

I gave a sigh.

"Becca, isn't this a bit much for a costume party?"

"Hang in there stud, it adds realism. He's harmless, I swear. Smalls, inside voice."

The parrot quieted, shifting a bit, and stared at me. Becca handed me some saltines.

"Just feed him when you feel the urge, and he will love you forever."

I took a cracker and waved it; Smalls eyes followed it around...so I held it out with one hand while reaching around and petting him awkwardly with the other. Becca grinned.

"Even more perfect!"

Distractions aside, I took a look around. The place was huge, with roving spotlights and track lighting everywhere, designed not to cut the gloom so much as offer isolated spots of illumination in it. Black lights were also spaced intermittently throughout the area, lending an eerie look. There was an honest to god DJ setting up in a corner booth, and a fully stocked bar at the opposite wall, Holly in residence behind it. Halloween decorations were everywhere, ranging from high quality and mildly frightening to cheap and cheesy. A small stage rounded out the corners, a piano placed on it.

I of course summed up the situation in my own way;

"Niiiiiiccce."

"Good, you made it!" Trisha seemed to pop out of nowhere, no idea where she was standing before.

"So let me guess. building was a former speakeasy?"

"Absolutely right! Yes this is the 'illicit' bar...we had to remove the gambling tables though, those are still illegal without a license. We do however, have the perfectly legal right to sell alcoholic beverages of any type down here."

"Ahh so another shameless attempt to break my wallet huh?"

"Not at all, not tonight anyway. Tonight all drinks are on the house, courtesy of the management."

"Excellent. I knew there was a reason to like him."

whatever Trisha was going to say was stalled by the arrival of several people, all dressed in various costumes which I assumed to be from the shop. Batman hobnobbed with Catwoman, a succubus stood beside what could only be a warlock (from world of warcraft perhaps?) and plenty of vampires, witches, werewolves, and even anime characters noisily poured out from the narrow stairway. There was a muted silence and whispers as the crowd took in their new surroundings, then the dull roar commenced again as most made their way to the bar where a slightly distressed holly could just be made out.

"Becca, go help Holly! I'll make the announcements."

"Gotcha boss!"

Nimbly Becca threaded the crowd, somehow beating most of them to the bar. I followed at a more sedate pace.

"Rawwk! 15 men on a dead man's chest! Rawwk!"

shit, I'd almost forgotten about the live feather duster on my shoulder, till he spoke, startling a couple too concerned with each other to worry about their surroundings. The bird actually helped me avoid a collision.

"dude, great costume!"

"thanks, seems to be something we all share."

"Well dating a worker at a costume shop has its perks. Dan, and this is Debbie. She works at the east side branch."

"Pleased to meet you both, I'm Chris, I was invited by Trisha."

"Ahh good, so Trisha found someone after all, I was a bit worried."

"Yep, last minute addition, but here I am."

We made it to the bar where the drink dispensing was beginning. Holly looked a bit lost, but Becca had to have tended a bar before; bottles were being juggled, fruit slices were flying, tiny umbrellas were being flourished, it was quite the show.

"Attention everyone, now that most of you are here. Welcome to Ye olde costume shop l.l.c.'s 100th official costume ball; I see plenty of new and old faces in the crowd. Welcome. As you all know, this will be my last time co-hosting this event. Please make it one to remember, but don't do anything I wouldn't do! After all, remember, Robert is watching. Now I'll get out of the way, DJ Crypt, take it away!"

The first track was loud, obnoxious, and strangely compelling, mixing modern dance with organ music. I finally made my way to the bar, purposefully going up to the less mobbed Holly, who was gladly standing back letting Becca hog the limelight.

"Holly, can I get a Guinness?"

"Huh? Oh sure Chris, sorry."

"No need to apologize. She's good."

"Yeah I have much to learn yet. She can really work a crowd. Here you go."

"Thanks. I'm a bit lost here; I mean, you're all working...not much need for me to be here. Kind of sad really, to work on Halloween like this."

"Ahh but we don't work all the time this night, you'll get to spend your time with us...and I'm first. The usual Holly."

I looked to find Trisha had snuck up on me again, though in this crowd it was no hard feat. Holly silently delivered a neat bourbon.

"Come on Chris, lets make the rounds. And of course, dance. Can't forget the dancing."

"Lead on, dear lady, lead on."

We danced, we schmoozed, we schmoozed, we danced. She told me witty stories about the employees from the other shops we met (I learned there were 5 total stores in the city). She flirted with reckless abandon, pulling my head down and nibbling on my ear gently (the free ear, not the one the parrot was squawking in). I felt warm, basking in her bright flame of life.

Then all too briefly, it was over.

"Trisha, could you please help me in setting up the buffet?"

Robert...fucking Robert.

"Let me help."

"Oh you don't have to Chris, please relax and enjoy yourself."

Hard to enjoy myself with you stealing my date, asshole.

"I don't mind, really. So what needs doing?"

"Oh the buffet is in small carts in the kitchen, we simply need to roll them out and place them in the correct order, and everyone has snacks or a late dinner, as they prefer."

I followed them past a tapestry which I'd glossed over before, realizing it led to a restaurant style kitchen...something like you'd see on one of those cooking shows that were all the rage. And there, next to a walk in freezer of indeterminate age (somewhere less than modern) were a series of carts with trays of meat, vegetables, and other such finger foods, sauces, nachos, a veritable cornucopia of snacks. the carts had to be custom made....they had sneeze guards built into them. It took 3 of us 2 trips each to roll them out, but it was fairly easy.

"thank you for your help Chris, it would have taken twice as long without you. Perhaps we should see about putting you on the payroll, part time?"

Trisha whirled around and gave Robert a stare that could have melted me into a puddle. He took it well.

"Not quite that long Robert, maybe 5 minutes longer, and I don't think I could afford the paycut."

"Don't be too sure Chris, the benefits outweigh the pay scale. But I joke. Sorry to have dragged you off the dance floor Chris. Trisha, I need to have a word with you about some inventory discrepancy..."

They walked off, Trisha with an apologetic glance in my direction, Robert casually dismissing me. I seethed a bit.

"Rawwk! Ahoy pretty lady, ahoy!" I turned in time to see Holly heading my way with two Guinness.

"hi. You looked like you could use another."

"I can, thanks."

I was mildly surprised to see her drinking too; she seemed a bit more...uptight than the others working here.

"So the boss grabbed Trish, huh? Mind if we sit down? I'm on break."

"Sure thing, I'm a bit tired as well."

she leaned close, allowing me to catch the scent of sweat and lavender.

"Tell you a secret...I can't dance well. Sorry to disappoint."

"Rawwk! Secrets! Secrets! Dead men tell no tales, Rawwk!"

"thank you for that Smalls. Tell you a secret Holly...I can't dance well either. I just fake it."

She giggled, and took a long pull off her beer.

"Looked like you were doing quite well to me; I was a bit envious."

"Of my skills?"

"Of Trisha enjoying your skills, while I was stuck behind a bar. But since I can't dance, how about conversation instead?"

"Fine by me, what do you want to discuss?"

"Global warming?"

"A heady subject, but sure...just don't get get angry if I say what I think...."

"And what is that?"

"That it's a hoax."

"You think global warming is a hoax?"

"No of course not, I think the globe warms just fine...I think man made global warming is a hoax."

And just like that we were off, debating Al Gore's manbearpig. As we talked, she seemed to gradually warm to me, losing some of her standoffish facade. Her smile and behavior became more genuine, less reserved....and her true beauty was revealed before me. Sigh, this was a most enviable mess I was finding myself in.

We enjoyed ourselves, heedless of the crowd around us, chatting about weighty matters and of course never solving the problems we spoke of. Holly insisted vehemently on getting the drinks, So I let her, my eyes scanning the crowd when she wasn't present. All the people having fun, dancing, a small group in a corner smoking cigarettes, a couple here and there making out with reckless abandon...not quite the typical Halloween party, unless you were talking a college one.

Holly returned after her 4th such trip with a bottle of crown royal.

"come on, lets get away from all this awhile; all this noise is hurting my head and it's hard to hear you over it anyway."

"Um, sure, but where?"

"You've been in the kitchen right? well see the tapestry on the other side?"

"another door?"

"Yes, follow me."

So I followed her as she lifted the tapestry back revealing a heavy wood door of indeterminate origin...it didn't quite look like oak. It had silver inlaid into it in a star...very fancy. And old unless I missed my guess, they didn't make stuff like that anymore. She opened it and led me down a darkened hall, one single bare bulb struggling to lessen the gloom. There were a total of 5 doors...2 left, 2 right, and one at the end of the narrow hall.

"Don't tell me, you guys live here?"

"We do, that one is my room."

Holly pointed to the first one on the left. Stepping closer I could see it bore a brass nameplate with her name and under that an inlaid silver butterfly. The door was the same indeterminate make as the other; I looked again, they all were. Across from Holly's door was Anne's, bearing her name and a rose.
I couldn't make out details of the other 3 doors, and I didn't want to be a poor guest.

"OK, after you."

Holly led the way inside. The interior was much like I expected, all muted blues ranging from the light pastel wallpaper to the dark blue comforter on the bed. what wood was present (the desk, a chair for it, and the bed framework) was a tasteful dark stained mahogany. A small television was mounted on the wall opposite the bed, and a laptop sat on the desk. there was also a door for what I assumed was a bathroom. Holly popped the bottle open and took a long pull, causing my eyebrow to raise.

"You OK?"

"Yes...no...I don't know. Not sure if i can do this, year after year..."

"If you're unhappy with the job, quit. You don't need to put up with anything you don't want to. I'm sure if I ask my boss nicely enough, he will hire you for something. And if you need to, you can crash with on my couch, or I'll call my cousin..she'll do anything for me."

Holly's mood got even worse, if anything. She crossed the room, pulling me to the bed.

"you know, you really are too nice for your own good."

"I..."

She shushed me with a finger to my mouth., and turned to the parrot.

"Beat it Smalls."

The bird flew up silently as she started to undress me. I could feel her determination and sadness, mixed with a touch of fear. The emotions radiated from her in waves of unease, slamming into me like a tide. This couldn't be allowed to continue. I wanted her, sure, but not like this! I snagged her hands; feeling her fluttery heartbeat from her wrists.

"Holly stop. Not like this, or we'll both regret it."

She took a deep shuddering breath...and barked a tension filled laugh.

"We will always regret this moment, you and I, regardless of what happens. Damn you for a fool! You're right though, the moment is passed. I'm sorry."

Turning she ran headlong from the room, barely opening the door before squeezing through. I thought I saw a hint of tears before she turned away.

Wow. I had no clue I was that desirable. In fact I was sure that while a pretty cool guy, I wasn't worth tears. I got up to follow, re-lacing my shirt.

"Hold it there stud."

I almost ran into an irritated looking Becca as I reached the hall. She pushed me back into Holly's room and shut the door.

"Holly had her chance, she's off break now, and I'm on mine."

I suffered a bout of deja vu as she shoved me onto the bed, and started undoing my shirt again.

"Wait Becca, Holly was distraught, I really think I should go talk to her."

"Hey stud, you turned her down, it's ok, she'll get over it."

I grabbed her surprisingly strong hands much as I did Holly's, stopping her. This time more than a flash of irritation blinked into existence; A full blown storm of rage crossed her countenance, humbling me. I would not be cowed though.

"Becca this approach didn't work for Holly, what makes you think it'll work for you?"

"That's obvious stud; you didn't want her, and I'm hotter?"

"You might be hotter, not sure on that. But I'm stubborn some days...the more people push, the more I push back. Just what is going on here exactly?"

She got up, my question, while more a fishing expedition borne from various uneasy moments since my arrival, had struck a larger nerve than I'd intended. Well that's...alarming.

"Well stud...I liked you when you first walked in the store. And Holly and I, we're only trying to help you, in our way."

"And have a bit of fun for yourself?"

"Sure, why not? Haven't heard anyone tell me that two people can't scratch each others' backs...so to speak."

She arched forward with a lecherous grin, spilling herself out of her top as she tackled me, kissing me deeply. I could taste her lipstick...and her hunger. And then her tongue, forced between my teeth. It took a weighted moment, but I pulled away.

"Never thought I say this...but no. Not till you tell me what's actually going on here, and why you're both in such a hurry."

she barked a laugh much as Holly had before.

"Sure, tomorrow...Though I'd appreciate it more tonight. As for what's going on, you'll find out soon enough."

She pulled away and checked Holly's wall clock.

"...In fact, pretty soon. It's almost time for the grand unveiling, where we all meet each other without our costumes. Where does the time go?!?"

"The grand unveiling? The moment where we all stare at each other awkwardly and realize we aren't nearly as good looking or cool as the faces we put on for the night, right?"

Her smile this time was more warm, and again like Holly's smacked of a hint of sadness.

"Right you are stud, right you are. But it's too late now for what we both wanted."

She re-laced my shirt yet again, quickly and pulled me up with surprising strength and to the door. I could hear her muttering things under her breath.

"Smalls, right shoulder."

"Rawwk, dead men tell no tales, rawwk! 15 men on a dead man's chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"

The living feather duster landed on my shoulder again as we entered the hall. Suddenly remembering I guiltily fed him a cracker.

"It also means the end of the party; no more fun like this till next year."

"Well while it's had it's moments, my escorts have been acting strangely. I think I'll just take off."

I headed towards the stairs.

"Can't leave stud, sorry."

"Oh and why not?" I stopped and turned to her, yelling over the music, which had gotten loud and frantic again.

"Doors are locked of course; we always lock up by 8 and set the alarm. This isn't exactly the safest neighborhood."

Her demeanor of amused triumph pissed me off.

"Then you'll just have to unlock it."

"Can't do stud...Anne has the keys."

"oooookkkkk...and where is Anne hiding?"

"I assume still upstairs manning the doors. That's where she's been all night, after all."

"Right." I continued upstairs into the dim light. Becca didn't follow.

"Yo Anne, you up here?"

I reached the landing, and didn't see her...till she came out of the shadowy alcove like a ghost, bottle of Jack daniels in hand.

"Yes sir, can I help you?"

"You've been here all night?"

"I'm not much for parties Sir, you remembered me?" she offered the bottle, which I took a pull from.

"Of course I did, why wouldn't I? I'd be lying however, if I said I didn't have an ulterior motive. Something weird is going on, and your co-workers are a part of it. I'd like you to either tell me what is going on, or let me out."

I'd been hoping to surprise her, but all I got in response was a blink...her composed doll like face didn't so much as twitch.

"I can't tell you anything sir, as I'm not sure what you mean by weird. I also can't open the door, as my boss just collected the key on his way upstairs."

"So what you're telling me is, this place is now a fire hazard locked down by 2 locked steel doors, and your boss has the only key?"

"That is correct sir."

"Sonofabitch. you aren't kidding. Ok time to confront your boss."

Was that a bit of...hope on her face for a second? First touch of emotion I'd seen from her.

"good luck sir."

I waved in response and headed further upstairs. Past the landing all the lights were out, shadows and deeper shadows chasing each other in a frenzy along the sludge grey hall as I moved. I could barely make out the outline of the doors in the distance, and was glad that nothing littered the space, as I'd trip and break my fool neck. I had really stepped in it this time.

I paused...that store room door called me; I bet it had answers in it, and I didn't remember seeing a lock on it. I had gone so far as to put my hand on the door before I shook my head in disgust. Curiosity killed the cat, And I needed out now. No idea what was really going on, but I really didn't want a ring side seat for a remake of the Texas chainsaw massacre.

Without preamble or knocking I opened Roger's door. The shadows flew away from the light as if alive.

"Roger."

He was ensconced behind his desk, looking up without any apparent surprise.

"Hello Chris, enjoying the party?"

"Not at all, and I want to leave please. I was told you have the only key."

He seemed to consider for a second, then stood up.

"I'm sorry you aren't enjoying yourself but the end is only 10 minutes away; right at 12:30. Surely you can hold out that long? then I'll be opening the doors for everyone."

Straight to the chase then.

"I'd rather not Roger. I find your manner suspicious, and the manner of your employees more so. Each of the women I was invited here by tonight seem very afraid of you, and of losing their job here. Maybe to the point where they will do anything to keep it. That is a bit unnatural, and I'm not going to wait around for you to put an axe in my face. Now let me out, or I pull out my cell and call the cops."

He grinned in a most disturbing manner.

"You don't have your cell phone Chris, you left it with your clothes."

Shit! I forgot, this costume had no pockets. He continued:

"but there is no need to call in the authorities; I have no intention of putting any sort of cutting tool into your face. I merely think you should stay for the finale, it being so close...and you really can't escape anymore, at least not intact. Might as well settle in and enjoy the show."

"The hell I can't."

I bolted from his office, absolutely sure in my suspicions now. The shadows an I danced together madly for a moment, then I saw...the door leading to the front was unlocked! The padlock was there, but not shut.

"Come back Chris, let's talk about this."

I could hear the 'I've got you now, asshole' grin in his smarmy voice. Needing no further encouragement I ripped it off and headed to the bathrooms. They had windows and vents, and I wasn't sure I could break the pane glass in front, though I'd certainly try it if pressed. I reached the men's room...and it was locked.

"Just a second Chris." The voice wasn't familiar, a baritone a bit deeper than mine. But the inflection...

"Who are you? Do I know you? And hurry up, an asshole who means me bodily harm is coming!"

The door opened and I ran smack into...Trisha?!?! He was much taller than I was, as broad throughout the shoulders as myself, same former football build with maybe a touch less flab, and his face...was a mind numbing mix of mine and the woman who had invited me to this hole. He was wearing my slightly crumpled suit. It didn't make sense, and I felt dizzy and hit the floor.

"Oops sorry about that, this strength thing takes some getting used to. Haven't been this large in some time."

"You ARE Trish! But...how! What the fuck is going on!?!?"

"Well you see Chris...We're the real pirates. We stole your booty."

Becca spoke up from behind me, I whirled to see her standing just in front of Roger, who seemed larger somehow...and the shadows were definitely crowding around him.

"Now now Becca, that's a bit crass, don't you think?"

"Sorry boss."

I shook my head to clear it and drew my cutlass. Blunt or not, it would still serve as a good beat-down weapon. I backed towards the front, trying to keep them all in sight. Then I caught another glance at the cutlass and stared. It was real! I could see a real sharpened edge on the blade. No time to worry about that now! I tried to look menacing, but it was getting hard...were they growing?!?

"All of you just stay the hell away from me!"

I'd almost made it to the glass windows fronting the store when I felt dizzy again, and dropped, simply unable to move. I had a fleeting thought of relief that I hadn't cut my foot off with the cutlass before I was picked up.

"Being strong is nice. Let's go. We don't want to be late after all."

"Quite right Patrick."

there was a sensation of movement and the fog in my brain cleared a bit. My vision cleared a bit too, and I was able to make out the person I knew as Trisha carrying me down the hall at a rapid pace. How could he carry me bridal style so easily? I weigh a good 200 pounds!

"Drugged?" I slurred, my voice shrill in my ears.

"That's right Chris, you were drugged. Good job Anne." Trish added as we reached the fire escape landing. I lolled my head just in time to catch that stupid bird fly overhead and Anne's face, filled what for her was a massive dose of regret and despair.

"I am sorry Chris,' she whispered. 'I have to do as I'm told. We all do. I had hoped you would escape."

"Rawwk! Pretty ladies! Dead men tell no tales! Rawwk!"

"Smalls, shut up. The time for such farces is over." my captor stated plainly, giving a gimlet stare to the bird.

We reached the landing and headed through the crowd to the stage, moving almost at a run, jostling people out of the way. They all appeared drunk to a person, except the employees from of the shops' other branches. So they were all likely drugged too, shit! no help at all. I tried to scream, but only a slight undignified squeak came out, and I still couldn't move. Still I was set down and though I couldn't move my legs I was pulled along. I began to feel
very warm.

"Sorry Chris, bear with it just awhile longer."

Roger stepped onto the podium and took the mic.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to thank you all for making this landmark party for Ye olde costume shop llc a huge success! And now as is traditional at our parties, the time has arrived to remove your masks, and show everyone the real faces you've hidden under our beautiful custom works! Come now don't be shy!"

The crowd as if in a trance, did as asked, and for a moment nothing happened, save Roger's grin got wider. I began to feel downright hot, and even though I couldn't hold my head up to see Roger, I felt as if I knew where he was, and what he was feeling.

Pure undiluted joy.

Anne was still feeling despair.

Becca was feeling happy, and satisfied.

Holly was feeling a sadness so crushing I didn't see how she could stand it.

And Trisha...was feeling liberated.

And somehow I felt it all. Though the connection with Trisha seemed to be washing out, going more tenous by the second as the bonds with the others strengthened.

Then it happened. With a collective sighs and not a few screams, the customers of ye olde costume shop collapsed. Those that I could see, I knew were dead. Eyes open and staring, skin a putrid looking grey. And...

Were those souls?!?

I blinked, trying to clear my eyes. But I continued to see them...greenish blue flames flickering fitfully in the intermittent gloom. Looking closer I saw each one tied by a yellow thread to a corpse, No...to the mask beside the corpse here, or a bit of costume there. The bodies even as I watched, my horror meter topped well beyond where I thought it could go, seemed to deflate and regain some of their color as yellow thread bound them too to their costumes.

"Anne, Holly, you know what to do."

"Yes boss."

"Now, time for you Chris. you must be awfully uncomfortable in that dreadfully hot costume."

I gathered my strength and tried to push away...but it was no use at all, I couldn't budge the large arm wrapped around me.

"don't worry Chris, you won't end up like those poor unfortunates...you have something they lack."

Roger strode towards me slowly, obviously savoring the moment. In fact, he WAS savoring it, I could feel it.

"St...stay away from me! Just stop this, please!"

"You see Chris, you are a curious sort of person...a strange mix of greed, desire, and a hidden streak of nobility I just don't see that often; all in the right amounts mixed with an outgoing witty magnetism sure to draw people in by the score...a honey trap, as it were. Why the last time I'd seen such a personality was Sir Patrick here, many many years ago..."

I shook, wanting to deny what I was hearing. Maybe I'd fallen asleep drunk in Holly's room, and this was all a dream! That's it, it had to be! Roger pulled something from behind his back...a silver collar bearing the name 'Christine'.

"And Patrick, well Sir Patrick has earned his retirement...and you are part of the severance package."

I felt a hand on the zipper of my mask, my wonderful, lifelike mask...and heard a keening wail fit for a lost soul. It took a moment as the mask was gently pulled away for me to realize the scream was my own.

************************

Roger stared at the small glowing gem and the flames trapped within. The last experiences of one Christopher M. Sedgwick, internet development specialist, still replaying in his minds eye. He tested the link with the still form on the bed beside him. It was strong...strong enough to guarantee obedience, at least once the final act was done. He swallowed the soul, sealing the deal.

It was a shame about losing Patrick, but Becca could pick up the slack while Christine was taught the ropes...and perhaps she would be successful enough to buy back her soul before it was completely consumed; a rare occurrence, but Patrick had proven it could be done. He couldn't help but chuckle though at the thought of the former knight and crusader let loose to cause more mayhem as an immoral lout; his inner nobility had made for a tasty meal, and without any inhibitions to speak of and no lord to rein him in....

He spared a glance. Christine had cleaned up nicely, once the remains of her former self had been sloughed away to add itself to the vats. A sable haired fox faced vixen, small in stature and delicate in frame, muttered under his touch for a moment then quieted. Her hair had some touches of white denoting stress in the young, as she clearly was...and a small straight red vertical line crossed her left eye..the remainder of some tragedy no doubt, though the eye itself was spared. All in all, a beauty among beauties, a delicate flower with more than a hint of the rogue about her...or a pirate.

He smiled, and lowered himself into bed beside her. He loved Halloween.

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pretty Authentic

As horror stories go, this is a pretty authentic example! This is exactly the kind of story that sometimes leaves me with nightmares. Not that I have too much experience with this kind of story, as I've learned to avoid them. But this was so well written, with a curiously compelling plot, that I was just sucked in until it was too late. Exactly like poor Chris.

Good horror tale

Nice job building the sense that something was wrong. It was there right from the beginning with the girls coming on so strong, but never quite became clear until the end. Generally fun tale, thanks.

titania.jpg

Titania

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

Very

High praise from both of you, thanks. I was beginning to feel (when I was at 300 hits and no responses) that I'd fallen short of the mark somehow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Maybe...

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

I was beginning to feel (when I was at 300 hits and no responses) that I'd fallen short of the mark somehow.

You write some strong stuff. Maybe you hit their marks a bit too hard, and they bailed out early?

Duplicate

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Darnit, I hate when the connection stalls out! :(

that was...

creepy in the extreme, well done.
thanks

Creepy

In the extreme. Great tale though
Joanna