The Special Ones

Printer-friendly version

It's been nine months since we last saw Petra and Catarina and life has been good. But ghosts of the past have not forgotten them and storm clouds are gathering. Can their love survive?

Although 'The Special Ones' can be read as a stand alone I would suggest reading 'The Special One' first as there are a number of references to the earlier story.

I consider myself very much a beginner and always looking for ways to improve my story telling. This time I am trying a few pictures, they take an age to do and I would love to know if you feel they add to the story or distract? Any comments gratefully received, though please be kind there is a fragile newbee's ego on the line here :-)

-----------------------------------

It was a lovely summer's afternoon as I sat on the patio watching my Catarina potter around the garden. It's been nine months since she became a 'normal' (I really do hate that term but somehow it seems to have stuck) and it turns out that Catarina just can't get enough of gardening.

Personally, I never could get my head around looking after green things. Having spent most of my life as an engineer, if I can't adjust it with a screwdriver or hit it with a hammer I get confused.

But for Catarina it has become a passion. I suppose if your entire life has been shaped around a unique set of abilities, and every day and every hour you are being reminded that you are a 'special one', to have anything approaching a normal life would be a dream.

I know Catarina still struggles to come to terms with what she has lost, but for the first time in her life she doesn't have to shield herself from everybody's emotions and stresses. She describes it as though everyone is whispering to her now and for the first time in her life she feels peaceful.

Oooh... hold that thought for a minute. Let's see how the love of my life does today. She is about to face her nemesis... the Lawn Mower! (cue dramatic music!)

For reasons I cannot fathom Catarina just can't get the knack of how to use it, but bless her, she does keep trying. I know how this is going to end though, so I am just going to nip into the kitchen and pour her a long cold one, because in a few minutes she is going to need it.

As I sat there watching her do battle with the mower I could see her getting more and more frustrated and annoyed and slowly reaching her boiling point.

Time to step in.

I get up and go over to her and take her hand "Catarina, stop. I can't bear to watch you struggle like this anymore".

I lead her back to the patio where she sees the cold drink waiting for her with little beads of condensation forming on the glass. She looks at me with a smile and says "Thank you hun, you always know how to look after me".

Then as we sat down I said "Leave cutting the lawn for now... you can do it later".

She hit the roof!

Glaring at me "You what?!"

"I thought you were... gurr!"

"Oh, that is so much like a man!"

"How can you sit there watching me struggle time after time! and not offer..."

I tried to hide it but I couldn't hold back the smile.

She screwed up her face "Oooo... you!..."

"My dear Catarina, how can we know each other so well and for me still to be able to get one past you?" I lent across and kissed her and said "Let's enjoy our drink, and when you go indoors I will run the mower around for you... and you can get cooking the dinner".

I grinned as she hit me squarely on the head with a cushion.

We sat there for sometime chatting and admiring Catarina's efforts of the day, and simply just enjoying being with each other.

Garden1.JPG

The phone rang...

"Катарина, вы находитесь в большой опасности!"

"Vad, it's me, Petra, I don't speak Russian remember?"

"Sorry Petra, you sound more like Catarina every day. You are in great danger, you must get inside the house and lock all the doors and windows, now!"

I looked to Catarina and grabbed her hand and said "Something has happened, we need to get indoors immediately!"

As we got to the house I still had the phone to my ear and I heard Vad say "We have a team on their way and should be with you in ten minutes"

Then as I turned to lock the door, a hand came across my face and there was a pungent, sweet smell. The last thing I saw was Catarina being held the same way with terror in her eyes, and then everything went black.

I awoke feeling very groggy and out of sorts. I was lying on a bed and to my absolute relief, Catarina was asleep next to me. The room was dimly lit with only a few items of furniture, but through a small ventilation window I could see that it was night. It was then I noticed that the crook of my arm was sore and I could see some small puncture wounds. They have been injecting me!

I heard a weak voice "Petra?"

I turned to see Catarina looking at me and she clearly was very frightened. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into me as tightly as I could, truth be told I was scared witless too.

After what felt like an eternity there was a rattle at the door. It swung open, and into the room stepped two large men in combat gear accompanied by a young nurse.

I said "Who are you? why are we..."

One of the men drew a handgun and pointed it straight at my head and said "Stop talking!"

I squeaked "But I.."

"Stop talking now!"

As I heard the gun click I clamped my mouth firmly shut. The other man pointed his gun straight at Catarina, the threat was very clear as the nurse prepared two syringes and injected us. Then without a word they turned and left.

Apart from periodically getting a plate of something that could almost be described as food, that was the routine for what must have been about a week. By this time I was feeling thoroughly weird, not ill as such but there was something definitely going on.

After the routine injection Catarina said "I didn't want to say anything until I was sure, but I am getting my senses back and my hair is getting lighter, yours is too".

I tried to look surprised but deep down I already suspected that this was what I was feeling. "But Catarina I am a 'normal', how can that possibly happen? I thought you said..."

She shook her head "I know, I know, I have been thinking about that. Our joining was unique, it has never been known for two people to have been so aligned before joining. The chances were supposed to be impossible. But obviously for us it wasn't. And it now seems that it's not just my appearance you got, you got everything else that comes with the package too".

As the days dragged by it became self evident what was happening. Our hair was getting lighter and with Catarina's help I was starting to get a handle on these new sensations. It's very hard to describe, but it's like all of my senses going from black & white to full Wide-Screen HD-Colour with Surround-Sound. Everything is more intense and vibrant, even inanimate object have an energy about them.

People however are off the scale! I don't even need to be near someone now and every nerve and fibre in my body starts to resonate, and as they get nearer it becomes almost unbearable the amount of energy people seem to put out! Thankfully, Catarina says that as time goes on it will get easier to control.

I don't know how long we have been here now, a month? two months? Our hair now is a beautiful honey blonde, we have the most dazzling blue eyes and I cannot remember a time when I have felt so alive and literally bursting with energy.

We heard the lock rattle on the door which then flew open.

A man we didn't recognise came into the room and said "Which one is Catarina?"

I said "Me".

Catarina spun her head around and gave me a look of dread. Holding my hand she said "No, I am Catarina".

The man looked as us both "Aww, she is trying to be a hero and protect her girlfriend, ain't that sweet" then coldly "Bring her".

I stared at that closed door for hours.
.
.
.
.
.
It was late the next day when I heard the click of a woman's heel coming down the hallway. The door unlocked, and with slow measured steps, a woman with cold grey eyes and fire red hair walked into the room.

legs1.jpg

I looked in disbelief. "Catarina?"

With a dismissive wave of the hand she said "I have grown tired of that name, I think Kat suits me far better".

"Oh my dear Catarina, what have they done to you?"

With a coldness that shook me rigid she said "My name is Kat, do not disobey me again!"

She paused as if to gather her thoughts. "What have they done to me? They have given me a gift. For the first time in my life I can think clearly, I can see now how small and insignificant people are. I have wasted far too much time worrying about them when they should have been worrying about me. But they will learn, we have plenty of time little sister".

Then she clicked her fingers and two men came in and grabbed me.

"Time to have your eyes opened little one" giving me a smile that was cold as ice.

I was dragged down the hallway to another room, standing in the middle was a strange looking table. They pulled me over to it, and with my feet still on the ground they bent me forwards so that my body lay flat, then they pulled my arms above my head and firmly strapped me down. Finally, they pulled my feet wide apart and manacled my ankles to the legs of the table.

There was little doubt what they intended to do.

Next they gave me an injection and connected me up to an IV drip. It didn't take long for the drugs to start to have an effect and soon every nerve in my body was firing, I could feel and sense everyone and everything around me. Then they gave me another injection and very soon the last vestiges of control was stripped away from me.

I was no longer capable of rational thought, my mind and every atom of my body had been ripped open and exposed. Then through this firestorm of sensory overload I became aware of a man approaching me. He placed a device on his head and a matching one on mine.

Then suddenly, all of my emotions hit me! Fear, anger, love, grief, everything, all at once! I had quite literally lost my mind!

Then through this maelstrom I sensed something calm and safe. Now in a state of sheer panic and desperation my mind rushed towards what seemed to be the only sanctuary in my world, and I recognised it was the man with the headset.

Then he was gone!

I was in agony and despair and felt totally alone!

I struggled to concentrate and I could just about make out a phone had been ringing and the man had stopped to talk to whoever was on the other end. I was too far gone to recognise what he was saying, but I could feel the frustration and annoyance building within him. Somehow I was able to focus on that and managed to pull my mind back a little.

I realise now how Catarina had lost herself, there is no way she could have fought against this.

But this interruption has given me a slender chance. I needed to find a focus, something to hold onto.

In that moment, I knew it was the day in the park with my precious Catarina that I had to burn into my mind. I can still see now the love I saw in her eyes and I focused everything I had on the image of her face. In my mind I kept repeating what I said on that day "Catarina, you are my love, you are my heart, you are my very breath, you are more precious to me than life itself and I will never, ever, let you go!"

The phone call didn't last long and then he was back.

Only this time I knew what to expect. My emotions still almost overwhelmed me when they threw the switch, but I managed by the slenderest of threads not to completely loose myself.

But the draw towards him was still too strong to resist and in spite of all my efforts I couldn't stop his character, his spirit, being poured like a poison into my heart and my mind.

As everything rose to a crescendo I was no longer aware of what was happening to my body, and the tiny sliver of my mind that I still controlled was completely focused on holding onto my love for Catarina. But it was getting harder to hold on, and like a cooling ember loosing it's warmth I could feel it slip away until all I had left was a dim image of my Catarina's warm smile.

Then I blacked out.

I dreamed.

Only these dreams are like nothing I have ever had before. More like reliving memories, but memories of times and events I have never experienced. There are images of people and places, but they are just the setting. It's the emotions and the thoughts that are most vivid, and there is a darkness to them. Such a lust for power and cruelty, wealth and conquest.

And I liked it.

When I awoke I knew I was different. My mind was focused. I felt strong. I am superior. I am powerful!

As I opened my eyes I saw Kat sitting there and she gave me a knowing smile "Welcome back little sister. It's invigorating isn't it?"

Purring I said "Mmm... yesss"

With the slow strut of a predator, Kat walked over to me and kissed me full on the mouth. It was electric! As we kissed we felt that not only had our connection held, it was actually stronger. So strong as to now be unbreakable!

As we continued to embrace we felt each others heart and mind with a depth we never had before. I could feel her cunning and her deviousness... and her appetites. We both made a wicked grin and said in unison "This is going to be fun".

The men who thought they were creating their perfect concubines soon discovered how very wrong they were. For all their status, to us they were weak pitiful little boys. With our ability to read and manipulate people it was a simple matter to mould them into simpering fools, eager to please us. We let the men continue to take care of day to day issues and provide a public facade, but the reality is that Kat and I have the real power now.

It took us about six months to fully consolidate our position. Having set up a legitimate consultancy we are able to guide affairs without having any visible connections with the less savoury activities of the Organisation, and our services have proven to be... how can I put it...rather profitable.

We took our regular lunchtime stroll and while deciding where to eat we sat on a bench by the river.

Bench1.JPG

Swinging her foot Kat said, "I am bored hun".

(I have noticed that even after all this time she cannot bring herself to call me by my name. hun, sis, luv, sweetie, anything but Petra.)

I nodded, "It does get old very quickly doesn't it? The trouble with men is they always think one dimensionally and rely on muscle and not brains. Ok, drugs, brothels and money laundering can be quite profitable, but it's a grubby way to run a business and it attracts too much attention. I have been thinking, who actually has all the money and power?... Banks".

Kat looked at me surprised "You want to do a bank job? Really?"

I sighed, "Not a bank job, the whole bank. Think about it. How long did it take us to go from being prisoners to running the Organisation? Compared to that lot of hairy knuckled villains, I can't imagine a bunch of weak chinned bankers are going to give us any trouble, do you?"

A wicked grin slowly spread across Kat's face as she started to think of the possibilities "I like it".

I allowed myself a little smile too, "I was thinking of starting with BarcWest. Big enough to make it interesting but not so big as to get too much attention."

Kat said "Sorry, did you say start with?"

I grinned "Why settle for only one?"

Still grinning "I saw a nice little Italian place just up the road, fancy some Pasta? I have an appetite all of a sudden."

Our plans were falling into place nicely. But there was one member of the board who was proving to be a little stubborn, so we felt it was necessary to have a quiet chat with him. On these occasions we like to dress a little more, uhh.. formally. We find having the right outfit helps in projecting an air of authority when we interview someone.

2 girls.JPG

Our interview room is also great for creating a receptive mindset with our guests. There is a raised platform for our two chairs, Kat calls them our thrones but I think that is being a little pretentious. There are some lovely blood red drapes on the walls and the wooden floor is a nice touch as our heels make a good solid 'thunk' as we walk.

Our boys brought the troublesome board member in and pushed him to the floor. I was a little surprised, he was younger than I thought and I suppose quite hansom if you like that sort of thing. Kat got things rolling by explaining the situation but it was obvious that he wasn't going to be agreeable. So disappointing.

I put my hand on Kat's arm and said "Let me".

Pulling my black gloves on I slowly got up while making sure his eyes were on me, though looking like this I don't think there is much chance of that not happening.

Each step I took was accompanied with a lovely deep 'thunk' which echoed around the room.

With slow measured steps I made my way towards him, thunk... thunk... thunk...

I stood there right in front of him and looked down at him silently. I could feel the fear rising within him.

Eventually I spoke "I assume you have heard some tall tails and fairy stories about us? That we can read people's minds, crush someone's brains with a touch, and kill with just a look?"

I could see beads of sweat form on his forehead as he nodded his head nervously.

With a comforting smile I asked "Do you think they are true?"

He looked at me trying to work out what would be the right answer, then with a tight and rising voice he said "umm... no?"

I spun around on my heels and the tails of my coat flowed over his head. I took a couple of steps back towards Kat, giving her a cheeky grin.

I gave a causal wave of my hand and said dismissively "Oh no, it's all true. In fact the truth is much more than people can imagine".

Turning back to look at him, I put my hands on my hips and slowly and deliberately walked towards him.

"All we want to do is to come to a little business arraignment and for us all to be part of the team. We like to think of it as our little family. But for some reason you don't like us and that makes us sad. You seem to be a man of principle, so the problem is, what can we do?"

Standing right in front of him again he really was looking terrified now. Looking over my shoulder "Kat my love, what do you think? Mush his brains? Or give him a body of a 13 year old girl and the mind to match? I understand the Baghdad brothel need some new girls."

Kat trying hard to suppress a smirk "My darling, whatever is your desire would please me".

Looking back at him I slowly began removing my glove, "Oh, it's such a shame we couldn't work together, you seem such a nice man. But business is business".

The terror in his eyes was delicious!

As I put my hand on his head I quickly tried to feel if there was a physical aliment bothering him. Ahh, got it. A bit of a problem with his hearing... earache. Earache? Ugh, you are kidding me? As I focused more closely I could see it was a lump of hardened wax stuck in there. Oh, yuck! What is this guy's personal hygiene like? And I am touching his head! Eeew! Definitely going to need some wet-wipes.

It was a simple matter to soften the wax, I actually heard it pop as it cleared the ear. I lifted him back up onto his feet, the man was a simpering lump of jelly. I looked at him and said quietly "We don't kill, we heal. How is your ear?"

Very confused he said "My ear? My ear! The ache has gone and I can hear again!" Almost delirious with relief he gushed "Oh thank you, thank you"

I couldn't believe it, the idiot actually got on his knees and thanked me. Damn, I am good!

Smiling at him I said "Is there any way we could come to an agreement? It would be so good if we could welcome you into our little family".

With a degree of enthusiasm that was actually a little embarrassing, he said "Oh, yes, yes please. If there is anything I can do to help you only have to ask. I will do anything I can".

I gave him a concerned look, "We are very selective who we invite to join us and you must not mention any of this to anyone! (stern look) But you should only agree if you are sure. (now with a distinct note of menace in my voice) Once you commit there is no going back, you do understand?"

With the look of a little boy who has just been asked if he would like a puppy, he beamed and kept nodding his head.

Making my way back to my chair I said, "Ok, you can go now and we will be in touch. But remember, tell no one!"

As the door shut, Kat and I started giggling like a couple of school girls. "Good man? Principles? He is more crooked than a bent rusty nail!" We laughed so much we had tears running down our faces. Looking at Kat I said "I don't think we are going to have any trouble with that one any more do you?" And we both started laughing again.

We left the building still giggling about that idiot of a man. As we were walking back to the car we heard something behind us and as we turned I heard Kat say "Vad?" Just as something hit my shoulder and I blacked out.

I drifted in and out of consciousness. Each time I started to come up I quickly lost consciousness again being overwhelmed with pain. Then one day I finally, slowly, woke up. I was stiff and sore all over but the pain had gone, and as I opened my eyes I saw Vad standing there.

"Good morning Petra" he said. "It's lovely to have you with us again. Give yourself a minute and try to relax and I will explain everything to you. But for now just know that you are safe and Catarina is here too".

As I lay there everything seemed to be so dull and muted and all I could do was cry. Vad patiently explained that for the last six weeks they had been flushing out the drugs and chemicals that had been used on us. They had almost given up when they had a breakthrough.

I said "What do you mean?"

He gave me a mirror "Petra, look at your eyes."

They were a beautiful pale blue.

Vad explained that they were still waiting for all the tests to come in but they felt confident now that I will be ok and the imprint was gone. I could feel that what he was saying was true. The strangest thing though was that I missed it, I missed it a lot, and a big part of me really wanted it back. It is true what they say that power is the ultimate narcotic. But it also comes at a very high price, a price I realised wasn't prepared to pay any more.

I asked "How is Kat... Catarina?" Vad's expression dropped, "There was something different about you, somehow you had managed to retain a little of yourself which gave us something to get hold of and pull you back. Her body is as clear of the drugs as yours but we just can't find her".

Trying to stand up my legs gave way from under me "I want to see her! I want to see her now!"

With Vad supporting me we made our way to another room where Catarina was laying asleep but strapped to the bed. I asked, "Can we wake her?" Vad nodded and went to find a nurse. The nurse came and administered an injection, it didn't take long before she started to come to.

I sat in the chair beside her bed and held her hand. Kat or Catarina, I didn't care. I still love her with all my heart.

As she opened her eyes she saw me and said "Ahh, little sis, I knew you wouldn't leave me."

Then she noticed the colour of my eyes. I saw pain in her eyes and then fury!

With an animal rage she screamed NOO!! NO! NO! NOO!! and she started thrashing about trying to break out of the straps that held her down.

Vad tried to guide me out of the room and I said "No! I am not leaving her!" I went back to her and somehow in spite of her thrashing about I managed to take hold of her hand, and as loud as I could against her screaming I shouted "Kat, I am not leaving you! I could never leave you!"

She looked at my eyes and sobbed "But you already have".

With tears in my eyes I said "Kat, my dearest Kat, you know we are joined by our hearts and that I know you better than you know yourself. I know deep inside there is still a little of my Catarina."

She began thrashing about again screaming "NO! NO!! SHE HAS GONE! I AM KAT NOW!"

It took all my strength to keep hold of her hand. I shouted "KAT! LOOK AT ME!" I think the strength in my voice surprised her and she stopped struggling.

Looking straight at her I said "I'll tell you how I know! It was you who made that phone call when they took me away... wasn't it!"

I could see it flash in her eyes as she remembered.

"You knew that interrupting the process would give me a chance to hold on. Well it worked, you saved me my love, you saved me! Now help me save you... Please!"

I saw a moment of hesitation cross her face.

"Do you know what it was that I held onto? The most precious thing in my heart?"

"YOU!"

"I kept replaying in my mind that day in the park, do you remember?"

"The day when we truly fell in love?"

She didn't move but I could see a tear roll down her cheek.

"Do you remember when you went to run away but I fell over?"

"Do you remember what I said?"

"Catarina, you are my love, you are my heart, you are my very breath, you are more precious to me than life itself and I will never, ever, let you go"

And with tears streaming "I meant it then my love and I mean it even more now"

I gently brushed aside some hair that had fallen across her eyes, cupped her face in my hands and kissed her forehead.

Then I rested my head on her chest and wept.

I just lay there... holding her... inconsolable...
.
.
.
.
.
It was the most gentle of voices "Petra, why are you crying?...

"Petra, can you hear me?"

It took me a moment to realise what I was hearing. As I looked up I saw her eyes and with tears of joy I hugged her and kissed her and kissed her and kissed her.

Now sounding slightly annoyed she said "Petra, as nice as this is, what's going on?"

I said "Your eyes, your eyes are blue!"

She gave me a puzzled look "Of course they are blue, what colour were you expecting? Oh I see, you are trying to get one past me again. Well you are not catching me out this time matey."

I looked at her in astonishment and just laughed.

Kissing her again and with the broadest of grins "Yup, that's my girl".

Then she said "Pet, I could really murder a cup of tea".

Perfect!

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nicely Done

So the pictures took a while to do? Time well spent, if you want my opinion.

As far as the text went, it was an authentic 'Night Watch/Day Watch' pastiche, devoid of colour in typical eastern European style (that's not a criticism, by the way). Nicely done.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Pictures

Hi Nicki

Thank you for your kind comments.

The pictures have been heavily modified so as to avoid any copyright issues and fit the storyline. They took as long to do as the story itself!

My hope was that they would underline the personality change and give a face to the characters. Beauty with a dark heart.

I am fascinated by your comment "devoid of colour in typical eastern European style". I take no offence but am intrigued, what do you mean?

Huggy.

Unusual, and cute.

This story or chapter (?) has a nice twist to it. I look forward to more from you.

Gwendolyn