Champion Butterfly

Printer-friendly version

An entry in StardustR.us' "What it was, was Magic!" - story contest.

A people at risk, barbarians at the gate, how many times have I heard that story? How many times has it been my duty to stop it from it from happening? But then would I want it any other way?

So when I was called before milady I was not surprised to hear it one more time. However, when I realized how different my task would be from normal, I worried that my skills were not those needed. They weren't, but...

Champion Butterfly
by Arcie Emm

It is often said that wisdom belongs to the aged and though, in their youth, someone may appear wiser than his age, I was not one of them. So as I lay dying, crushed beneath my dead destrier, on the field of battle I made a decision that many would consider unwise. Instead of accepting fate and joining those in the Cauldron of Souls, waiting for my chance to return to the land of the living, I allowed myself to be swayed by Lady Illuni to be her knight in death, just as I had in life. As always, it was a decision made with my heart, not with my head.

Illuni probably knew this when she came in those final moments to offer me the choice. Just as she had known when she had first came while I knelt praying to the gods in the Cathedral of Dalemiond, beseeching them to allow me bring honour to my family and people after I donned the silver spurs of a knight. The boy, then the dying young man, could do nothing other then accept her offers.

Not that I can guarantee that the man I have become would make a different choice. Though having lived many lives, on many worlds, there still remains much of that boy within me. And he is still as apt to act with his heart as he is with his head.

But not in those first moments of awaking from that dream less sleep where I was kept while waiting to once more serve my Goddess. For when my senses return, all of my memories rushed in to fill the emptiness, overwhelming me with the sights and sounds of friends and loved ones. Temporarily adrift in joy, until the realization hit that I would never see any of them again, causing my heart to ache with this loss. Always my mind takes this opportunity to second guess that second decision, telling me that I had brought this pain upon myself.

Such is one how you first find me, sitting on the side of my bed, head resting in hands, as I weathered the storm of memories. As the worst of it passed, I raised my head and looked around the room, seeing mementos and reminders of my lives and those who made them full. Slowly my heart began to regain its dominance, arguing my fortune in having such richness in my past.

Making use of the water, food and clothes that had been laid out for me, by the minions of milady’s home, before setting forth to find out why I had been awoken. Even with the ever changing halls, I had no difficulty finding my way to the chamber in which Illuni was to be found.

She was, as always, beautiful.

That may seem an insufficient description for a Goddess of Love, but if you are ever to be in her presence you would understand how perfectly it describes her. To her peoples, her essence is that of beauty, perfect to each and to all. So, to call her beautiful is not to diminish her, instead it gives the word its ultimate meaning. It overwhelms and barely noticing her companion, I bowed low in greeting.

“Welcome my Champion. I have missed you.”

Her words were like a caress, so in order to distract myself I turned to the second figure. The offering him a bow, almost as low as to Illuni, I murmured, “Greetings Lord Wagnel.”

Unlike the Goddess, you could not look at him and immediately know him as a God of War. No black plate-mailed, axe-bearing, hulking figure was he, with eyes of red glaring from behind visor. Instead Wagnel appeared to be little more than a clerk, maybe a scholar, so easy to underestimate for the loud-mouth buffoons who were his colleagues. Not for him was it all about the cut and thrust of battle, he focussed on things like tactics and logistics. Instead of being a warrior god, he was a god of generals. Strangely, he also happened to be milady’s closest confidante.

Greetings complete, I was gestured towards a chair while Illuni explained the problem I was to solve. “Pasqel, over the last while a mischief deity, by the name of Yetel, has been gathering followers in the hopes of taking the step to true Godhood. Of course he has done so by appealing to the base nature of his followers, by leading them on raids of rape and pillage against pocket worlds. Sadly he has been successful, which has led to more and more followers flocking to his banner.”

Unlike most worlds that held followers of many deities, a pocket world was the soul domain of a single God or Goddess. This made them to be rather one-dimensional, reflecting the will and beliefs of whoever held domain. Therefore, those whose deity was passive by nature tended to be sitting ducks for the followers of a deity ambitious or ruthless enough to attack. Such would be the case for any pocket world that worshipped Illuni.

“Is one of your worlds threatened Milady?”

“So Lord Wagnel has led me to believe.”

“Aye Sir Pasqel.” The God of War interjected. “Yetel was overheard, by one who owes me favours, planning a raid on Illuni’s world of Delesion. However, my belief is that Yetel meant to be overheard.”

“So you believe it to be misdirection Lord Wagnel?”

“It is possible; however, I think that Delesion is still his target.”

“Excuse me Milord, but that does not make sense.”

“It does if you understand mischief deities. Though ambitious, they tend to be fickle and are easily bored, which is why it is rare for one to rise to Godhood. My guess is that Yetel tires either of the work needed to lead his followers or of his barbaric followers themselves. Thus he may very well be ready to end his current project and if that is his plan, he will seek to gain some benefit from the work he has already done. My guess he is after the prestige of having me defeat his forces. He can then pretend that I saw him as a threat, which he can use to convince some of our more naive colleagues about how close he was to success.

“However, this ruse will be less effective if he attacks me directly. No, for him it would be better if I was the attacker, which is why Delesion is a good target. Being aware of my closeness to Lady Illuni, he would guess that I will come to her aid. And he would be right, I just want to make it unnecessary.”

“Which is where I come in?” I asked.

“Exactly, I would prefer that Illuni’s champion rallied her people to defend their own world, rather than having me and mine do it.”

“But the people of Delesion could not defend themselves from the thorn of a rose.” I protested, before looking in embarrassment towards my Goddess, realizing what I had implied about her chosen people. Nervously, I saw storm clouds begin to form in her eyes, clouds that grew dark when Wagnel laughed.

“So you have been to Delesion, have you Pasqel?”

I had. One time, instead of going to sleep after a mission, milady sent me to Delesion. At first it had seemed a paradise with perfect weather, beautiful woman and nothing to do but play. Still it was not long before the idyllic world began to close in on me, as it seemed life there was without purpose, something not for me. Thus I had never asked to return, and though Illuni had likely guessed my disdain for the place, it was another thing entirely to state it aloud. Therefore, I sought to dig myself out of the hole my words had tipped me into. “Once Lord Wagnel. I found the people to be focussed on matters of greater importance than the trade to which I have devoted myself.”

“Which means, that they are as helpless as a babe in the woods.” Lord Wagnel snorted, showing he either had not noticed Illuni’s reaction or did not care.

“It is not their fault, they live the way I want them to live. If anyone is to blame, it is me.” The Goddess stated, giving both of us a warning look.

“Umm, yes I understand that my dear, but it does make Pasqel’s task a bit more difficult. “

And it would. Unless things had changed, which I knew they had not, the closest that Delesion had to fighting men were those who played at being personal guards, whose duties split between standing around looking pretty or serving as willing partners in the bedroom hijinks of their ladies. Definitely not my choice to combat an army of the size of... “Excuse me Lord Wagnel, but how large of army does this Yetel command?”

“To call it a army is to give it over much credit. It truly is a rag tag bunch of criminals with poor arms and armour, though I will admit that their last raid counted over ten thousand men. Since it continues to grow, I do not think it would be wrong to plan for fifteen thousand.”

Whistling softly, I turned to my Goddess to ask, “Milady, what is the population of Delesion?”

“There are eight thousand three hundred and sixty three people, half of whom are women.”

It was a lower number than I had hoped, though I had known it was a transient world. Its inhabitants being pleasure seekers, on seemingly endless holiday as a reward for doing Illuni’s will on other planets. In the end, people either left from boredom, to continue to serve Illuni, or most often to go to a world where they could have children, since Delesion was a world without. However, though there were no children on the world, there were the minions. These people-shaped, magical constructs acted as servants and administrators of the world. “Milady, what of the minions?”

“Sorry my Champion, in this they cannot help. The magic that gives them being is the antithesis of violence.”

I believe I let out a large sigh as I close my eyes to think upon the task ahead. The problem seemed daunting, but I knew this conversation would not be happening if the two did not think I could solve it. If they did not have that belief, then Lord Wagnel would just smite this Yetel’s ass, opinions be damned. Most likely that option remained the backup plan if I did find the answer.

“Do we know when Yetel’s forces will strike?”

“We are not exactly sure, but after each of the previous raids he has let his followers go their separate ways to live off their ill-gotten games. It usually takes three or four Delesion months for them to burn through it all and begin praying to him for another opportunity. With their last raid being so recent, you should have ample time to prepare.”

“Aye, that should be enough time. At least it will be if I can get any of the overly-independent lotharios of Delesion to follow me.”

Illuni answered this worry, with a hint of humour in her voice, “Don’t worry my Champion, I will make sure that men of Delesion will want to follow you.”

“Thank you Milady.”

“My, what interesting taste you have.”

Before being able to ponder the meaning of this last statement, I felt the space around me shift. It told me that the interview was over, that it was time to get to work, for I knew my next moments would be on Delesion.

And when those moments came and I looked at the figure in the mirrored walls of the world’s Entry Chamber, I understood what Illuni had meant before she had sent me on my way. She understood, better than anyone, those I had termed as overly-independent lotharios. Illuni knew them for the peacocks they were, always ready to strut in competition against one another, trying to prove that none were followers. In honesty, there have been numerous times when I could count myself amongst their numbers.

The most memorable of these was long ago, not long after that second choice to serve milady, when I was champion to the Queen of Betsdule. Overly impressed with my prowess on the field of battle, I had seen no man as my equal. However, even while I was bellowing my challenges, like a bull in the pasture, I was willingly led to and fro, not by a ring through my nose, but by the lace covered hand of the Princess Amithilia.

It was easy to remember how the princess looked when last I saw her, small and yet undoubtedly a woman grown. An adorable, pixie face either staring in challenge at me with deep, blue-eyed and red-lipped mischief or coyly hiding behind a long, fall of hair whose colour matched that of the luscious, blue of indiberry. Beyond my Goddess, Amithilia was the most beautiful woman I had ever known and now she stared back at me from the mirrors. It was her, right down to the way she had been clothed, in a silver gown of silk with low cut decollete, which along with a corsetted waist ensured her charms were on display.

Still I knew it was not her. If my mind had not told me that she was long gone, like so many of those whom I had known and loved, then the tightness at my waist would have. Or my heels, like those she had worn in compensation for her height and about which I used to tease her. Or the weight of the gown, almost like a suit of armour did it feel to my weaker frame, even while seeming so delicate as it decorated rather than protected. Or...well the fact I was alone in the chamber.

“My Goddess, how could you?” I beseeched, but received no answer. Nor did I need one, Illuni had simply given me the tools she thought necessary to prod the men of Delesion in the needed direction. Whether I was equipped to properly use the tools? Let us say, I had my doubts.

Nervously deciding to begin moving towards the goal of thwarting Yetel I took my first steps, encumbered in long skirts and heeled boots. Fortunately for the condition of my gown, milady had ensured that I was able to move with a grace as different from my soldier’s stride as that of my new form to my old. Gliding towards the doorway, I hesitantly stepped through, unsure if I was ready to be seen.

Someone did wait. A minion. Faceless and sexless in a long, yellow, cowled robe, it offered me a bow and spoke, “Greetings Lady Illudine, we are gladdened by your arrival. Please follow me to your carriage, so you can be delivered to your residence.”

Hearing the name brought realization that Illuni had guaranteed that I would had been given prestige to assist in my task. To own a name so closely linked to the Illuni’s would show that she held me in great favour, meaning few would dismiss me out of hand. At the very minimum it should ensure I did not run into locked doors. Therefore, it was with some gratitude that I nodded my head to the minion and followed it outside to where I was helped into an elaborate carriage of a black sinwood and gilded fixtures. It, plus the stately home to which the carriage traveled, implied that I had not just prestige, but also rank on this world.

A world that, based upon what I saw during the ride, was ripe for the taking. Masquerading as a small city, Delesion was without walls, being open to all invaders. It was not a place I looked forward to defending.

As I was helped from the carriage by a minion waiting in front of the home, it said, “Welcome home Lady Illudine.

“Thank you...”

Hearing the unasked question in my pause, it answered, “You may call me Yui, Milady. It is my duty to run your household.”

“Well met Yui, may the Goddess’s blessing be upon you.”

“As it is upon you.”

Feeling like Yui had looked deep into my being, I uneasily replied, “Very well, then let us explore my new home.”

“Milady, before we can do that, I must inform you that a Sir Dallembert is waiting upon your pleasure in the Sitting Room. However, I can let him know you are not available, if you please?”

“No Yui, I know Sir Dallembert. Please take me to him.”

Learning that I was not on this endeavor alone was a Godsend, literally. Dallembert was my equivalent within Lord Wagnel’s house. Though our duties differed slightly, Wagnel did not require a champion for the arena, but did have a group like Dallembert who were titled as Aides. Having worked with him numerous times in the past, I knew he perfect person to assist and keep me grounded while I played politics or what passed for politics on this world. However, my enthusiasm waned as Yui gestured to a closed door and I remembered my appearance.

Used to the ways of Gods, it was doubtful he would be overly surprised by what had been done to me. I know I had seen stranger things and with his greater experience, so likely had he. My problem was that he would think that my situation was the funniest thing in the world and he would not hesitate to let me know.

Giving my head a mental shake at the things I put up with from my Goddess, I followed Yui through the door into an elegant sitting room. My eyes were drawn to the man sitting in the room where I saw, to my worst luck, Dallembert looking rather himself, offering me no ammunition to use in my own defense. A tall man with sandy-hair, who always seemed to be in the prime of life, brimming with a confidence that women always seemed to find him irresistible. Happily something that did not affect me in my new form, instead I just saw him as my friend Dally.

Upon our entry, he had politely risen and approached while Yui performed introductions. Seeing no recognition or humour in his eyes, I dared to hope that maybe he did not know it was me. Thus, like so many ladies had done to me in the past, I offered him my hand. Taking it, he bowed low over it with a murmured, “Lady Illudine.”

Acknowledging his greeting, I glided over to carefully perch upon the edge of one of the chairs, having learned on the carriage ride that my garments did not allow a comfortable lounge. Then looking up at my guest I saw him watching Yui depart, after which he turned back to me with a huge-assed grin and began to clap.

“Damn it Dally you knew all along?”

“Yep, a little birdy told me while I was waiting for your arrival.”

“One would think that your Master would have better use of his time than to spread gossip like a common shop-keep.”

“Lord Wagnel? Goodness no. He’s a terrible gossip, I think its because he is always dealing with such weighty manners, so he sees the pettiness of gossip as a welcome relief. However, he didn’t tell me that you would be so magnificent or have such an interesting blush or how much your eyes would sparkle when you are angry.”

“Quit flirting with me Dally.”

“But Milady will need to grow used to it, for she is sure to be the frequent target of that art.”

“Goddess, don’t remind me.”

“Ahh Qel, I am glad to see you’ve figured out your role in this little plan of our betters. Can’t deny it would have rather embarrassing explaining it to you.”

“What about having to live it.”

With a gesture of dismissal, Dally said, “Oh I wouldn’t worry your pretty little head about that. Illuni is a kind Goddess, she will ensure that it is not a terrible ordeal for you.”

Knowing he spoke the truth made me more afraid then ever on the field of battle. Yes, milady would ensure that I enjoyed myself, though now it seemed so wrong. Guessing there would be things about this assignment that I would not want brought up over beers in the future, I said, “Please Dally, you know that I am just doing my Goddess’s will. So don’t be mean to me.”

“Oh that was perfect Qel. I would have to be a complete cad not to obey your little-girl-lost’s plea. Don’t worry, Lord Wagnel told me to be good or he would assign me to an Amazon tribe on my next mission.”

“Then quit looking at my breasts.”

“Actually I was looking at your ears.”

“My ears?” I asked, reaching up to touch one where its point peaked out from my hair. Feeling how sensitive it was brought memories of how much pleasure Amithilia and I had given each other because of ears like these.

“Yes, their cute. I once knew a girl from a world where they had those type of ears. You wouldn’t believe how excited she would get when I nibbled upon them.”

“There will be no nibbling on my ears, thank you very much. In fact, we should get down to business. First off, I would like to say that I am glad that you are here, even if it gives you something to hold over me for all eternity, but it was my impression that Lord Wagnel was sitting this encounter out.”

“Well, after learning of Yetel’s plans on your lady’s world, milord dispatched me on a reconnaissance. It was my unfavourable report that resulted in your being awakened; however, I had nothing to do with turning you into your gorgeous self. My guess was that you would show up, the regular old Pasqel, I would brief you and then I would be on my way, leaving the problem in your capable hands. It was only just before you arrived that Lord Wagnel informed me of the change in plans, including my being loaned to Illuni in order to command your guards.”

“I have guards?”

“Well right now it is just me, but I have some ideas on how to fill it out.”

“But why do I need guards?”

“Well as a Princess of the Court, it’s only fitting.”

“Of what?”

“Games.”

To be a princess on Delesion was not the same as being one on most worlds. It did not make you a member of the royal family, since none such existed, instead it made you a representative of Illuni. Something that implied more power than it actually entailed. I would not be able to command everyone to drop what they were doing and prepare for a raid by barbarians. Well I suppose I could, it would just mean that everyone would run off haphazardly preparing in whatever way they thought, because once I spoke they would ignore me. No, on Delesion rank did not grant command and I needed to keep that, though it would mean keeping most unaware of that fact.

“Princess of Games,” I mused. “That actually may work out not too bad.”

“Aye, ‘tis my thinking as well. We can hide much training behind the playing of games, for instance; I am sure your Ladyship will just adore archery.”

Ignoring his jab, I agreed, “Personally I would liever kill a bloodthirsty barb from a distance than face to face, with a bunch of untrained defenders it would be silly not to try and do so. Speaking of which, do you know if any are trained?”

“Well there is number of dueling schools.”

Showing my prejudices, this caused me to prettily snort, “Duelists.”

“I don’t know what your problem is with duelists, Qel? After all, isn’t that your job with Lady Illuni?”

Even knowing he was just trying to wind me up, so I would jump upon my hobby-horse, did not stop me from taking the bait. “No, I’m her champion. There is a world of difference between me and the jumped-up duelists that I am forced to kill in while doing my duty.”

“You better calm down Qel, otherwise your amazing breasts may burst forth from your gown.”

“Quit staring at them.”

With a knowing smirk, he replied, “Well as the Captain of your Guard, I was gallantly keeping my eyes on the potential danger, ready to jump to the rescue if needed.”

“I think you want to be an Amazon.”

“Now, now Qel, let’s not get hasty. Though I would have to agree with your judgment on this particular lot of duelists. Any barb worthy of the title, would stave in their skulls before they had a chance to say en garde.”

“Anybody else? Possibly somebody with military training.”

“There are some, but as a professional military man, I would say your disdain of duelists closely matches mine for most of the so-called officers living on Delesion. Why couldn’t your Goddess have a few more foot-soldiers and a few less officers amongst her worshippers?”

“Well on many worlds to worship milady, before all others, is a luxury that only the privileged can afford. Those you seek are men who would give themselves to your Lord.”

“I see, though I must admit to being surprised to hear you say it.”

“Why Dally? I’ve never denied how fortunate I have been through my many lives. I only wish that more were as lucky as I, to be able to give and share in her Love.”

At these words, I felt a soft kiss on my brow and in my mind heard a whispered, “And I do love thee, my Pretty Little Champion.”

“Even if she asks you to serve her in this fashion?” Dally asked, showing none of the humour that usually lurked on his face.

Still feeling her gentle touch, I answered in kind. “Even now Dally, even now.”

In the silence that followed my admission, the opening swish of the door seemed as loud as a shout. Turning to see a Yui, or at least by the colour of its robe who I assumed to be Yui, enter, I asked, “Yes Yui?”

“Milady, you have received a summons from the Queen, she bids you attend upon her at your earliest convenience.”

“The Queen? Very well, can you see that my carriage is ready, I would see her as soon as possible.”

“It is ready.”

“Then let us depart. Coming my Captain?”

“Aye, your Ladyship.” Dally answered, rising from his chair.

“Yui, Sir Dallembert has agreed to take command of my guard, could you see that chambers are prepared for him?”

With a nod, it led the two of us out front, where the carriage waited to deliver us to the Queen’s palace. Joined inside by Dally, he let me know that Illucise continued to sit upon the throne as the Queen of Love, just as she had done when I had last been on Delesion. Unlike one of the princesses, her title did come with actual power and it was in her hands that the rule of this world was entrusted. There was little doubt in my mind that she would find the reason for my presence distasteful. My guess was that it would be a prickly meeting, so I determined to walk carefully.

So it was, when announced into her presence, that I channeled every bit of grace with which milady had imbued my current body as I sunk into a respectful curtsey. The length with which she left me in that pose, seemed to give proof to my guess. As did her tone when she said, “Rise Princess Illudine. Or do you prefer going by your true name of Sir Pasqel?”

Sensing a trap, I carefully answered, “Your Majesty, I am pleased to go by whatever our Goddess deems most appropriate. In this case, that appears to be as Illudine.”

“It is dreadful news that your presence brings to my world.”

“Aye your Majesty, most dreadful and I wish that there was no need. But it is not for me to question Lady Illuni’s will.” I agreed, implying a silent ‘or yours’ at the end of that agreement.

“True, it is not ours to question our Goddess. However, I do not question her, I question why does her friend, the Lord Wagnel, not smite this foul Yetel, rather than only sending that jackanapes, who accompanied you, to assist?”

“As I am to understand Your Majesty, it has to do with the politics of the Gods.”

“Politics?” Illucise sniffed. “Well it seems demned ungallant if you are to ask me.”

Giving a helpless, little shrug, I then came to the defence of my friend. “As for Sir Dallembert, he is a true friend. Vastly skilled in the realm of his Lord Wagnel, we are lucky to have his assistance?”

“How, by turning all of our beautiful men into killers?”

Tired of cossetting the woman, I answered, “If need be. However, that is not our intention, instead for now we will only look to teach them some skills that will prove useful if need comes to be.”

“Is this why you are here as the Princess of Games? What type of games will you play in order to teach these skills?”

“I have not decided as of yet, there has barely been time for me to begin to plan.” I said, thinking it was better to not bring up our archery plans at the moment.

“Okay then, but I would like you to run all plans past Lord Honus before you do anything.”

“Who?”

“Lord Honus Tolliver, he was the Grand Marshall for the Kingdom of Nielisio for much of his life.”

“Your Majesty, I would prefer not to do that.”

“I do not care what you think, I rule this world Princess Illudine and I would have someone I trust involved in this affair.”

Deciding the time for politeness was over, I said, “I have changed my mind Illucise, you will know me as Sir Pasqel, Goddess Illuni’s Champion and her Lord of Battle for time immemorial. I do not need a some old fuddy-duddy, who never fought a battle while he played at being a Grand Marshall, to oversee my efforts. Nor do I need your trust, I have the trust of our Goddess and it is why she appointed me the task to defend her world.”

“Well I never,” she sputtered in outrage.

“However, if you wish Madame, we could seek our Lady’s judgment to determine whose voice speaks true in this matter?”

“Yes, let us do that.”

As if she had been waiting for this moment, the Goddess Illuni was with us, a frown of unhappiness on her face. In that moment we were both on our feet, each sinking into a deep curtsey, causing me a moment of personal embarrassment when my competitiveness caused me to exalt that mine was prettier. Looking between the two of us, she asked, “Why do my beautiful daughters fight with each other over matters of their own ego when my world is in danger?”

Neither of us were unwise enough to answer, instead we both stood there, shamefaced and with heads bowed as she continued, “How can either one of you doubt the trust I have in yourself or in the other. Loving Illucise, in your hands I have placed my most important creation, this world. And under you it has flourished and my beliefs have been made real. However, not everyone shares our beliefs, worse some actively threaten them. At those times, I rely on Sir Pasqel to protect those beliefs for me. Sadly we are in one of those times. And so we need to heed the words of my Champion, for he understands what is foreign to the two of us.”

So I had won, but never had victory felt so terrible. To learn that Milady Illuni saw me as nothing more than her attack dog, after giving so many lives to her, hit me like a body blow that brings you to his knees. However, before I could sink to the ground, Illuni had me wrapped in her arms, holding me up, urgently saying, “No My Love, do not judge yourself so, for that is not what you are to me.”

Through tears I asked, “Then what am I? What good am I if I don’t share your beliefs?”

“But you don’t Dear One. Unlike Illucise who thinks the same thoughts as I, you do not. To me you have always offered your heart, but never your mind. And yet even when you do not agree, you still accept. ”

“So I’m the idiot cousin, am I?”

“Never that. You do not accept out of stupidity, instead you accept because that is your choice, a choice from which you have never wavered, no matter how silly it may seem to you. You my Champion are truer to me than you are to yourself. How could I not love you?”

I did not answer, instead I just cried away the hurt that should never have been while wrapped in the arms of she who truly had always owned my heart, for whom I would continue to offer everything I had. As my tears began to subside, she whispered in my ear one final thing, “And you have the prettiest curtsey I have ever seen.”

Hiccuping a laugh through my sobs, I began to feel better. Able to once more face the world, including Her Majesty Illucise, who no longer looked upon me with distaste, but with loving concern. More than the Goddess’s words, my reaction had gained acceptance from her, possibly believing it proved me to be how I looked, turning me into one of those she sought to protect. It would have been a wonderful ploy, if the hurt had not been so very real. Nor were the tears the result of how I appeared.

After the Goddess removed any trace of my tears, we parted company after the Queen informed me that I would be introduced to society at a fete in my honour, three nights hence. I was happy with the delay, which would allow Dally and myself to begin planning the games I was to host; however, neither of us could have ever forseen the type of planning session we were to experience over those three days.

For the next morning, when I asked Yui to show the two of us to an office in which we may work, he replied, “Milady, but that is impossible today. You must begin preparation for the fete.”

“Yui, that is what we plan to do.”

“No Milady, you must learn the dances performed at the court if you wish to make a good impression.”

“Dances?”

“Oh yes. Queen Illucise loves music. Her parties, in large part, are spent on the dance floor. Thus I have arranged for her Doi, her Master of the Dance, to attend upon you to provide training.”

“But I really must talk to Sir Dallembert this morning about private matters.”

“You will need a partner, perhaps Captain Dallembert could play that role. It will give you time for your discussion. As for privacy, my kin and I are fully aware of the doom you and Lord Wagnel’s Aide seek to stop from being delivered upon our world. And though in the moment of that arrival we cannot lift weapons in defense, we can fully assist in other ways.”

Though I persisted in my argument that we did not have time for matters of such frivolity, Yui proved unwilling to bend. In the end Dally and I found ourselves in my very own dance hall where a group of minions including Dance Master Doi, its assistants, and an eight piece orchestra waited. We learned that the dances of Delesion had been gathered from the courts of many worlds, bad enough for Dally who had danced in some of those courts; however, for me, that same knowledge was actually a disadvantage, specially with the bulk of the dances showcasing the feminine side of the partnership.

By the time of our first break my frustration had already begun to grow. Though it was apparent that the Goddess had given me the physical skills to do all the steps, my mind kept getting in the way. As we sat, trying to regain our breath, Doi described the many dances we still needed to learn and I despaired at how little time there was to prepare.

If not for the magic available to the minions it would have been hopeless, but there was a reason that things ran so smoothly on this world, they did not let things go wrong. So moments after we sat down, me with legs feeling sore, to a drink of lime cut water during our second break, my eyes opened as if from a night of full sleep. My aches were gone and that I felt completely refreshed. So apparently did Dally, who had a puzzled expression on his face. Still we were not given time to question before Doi had us upon our feet and continued the lesson.

So we spent the entirety of our time, until the fete, in that hall with me slowly learning to glide and twirling about the dance floor, spinning in and out of Dally’s arms. The only measure of the passage of time being our change of dress, our outfits becoming closer to those we would wear to the ball. For me this meant higher heels, wider skirts, lower bodice, more lace, and hair that grew taller atop my head. All culminating in my final awakening bedecked in full court dress, requiring Dally to ride beside the carriage on his mount, there being no room inside with my skirts.

Truthfully I was happy with the separation, three days in his arms had forced me to see how different we were from one another, at least on Delesion. He was my still friend, but it seemed that as the days had passed he also became a male in my consciousness, something I had always known, yet it had never mattered.

Dally had been undergoing a similar change, for soon he only called me Illudine, Qel having been banished to both the past and future. Nor had it seemed to bother him to continue holding me in his arms when we would stop and watch Doi’s assistants gracefully perform a step with which we struggled. Apparently instinct could dull the sharpest mind, our senses seeing, hearing, feeling, and even smelling each other told us that the other was different in a particularly intriguing way.

Alone in my carriage, I realized with a shock how much I had changed without realizing it was happening. Milady had worked a miracle upon me already, one that caused me to worry what next would happen if things continued apace.

Worry not. You will not be spending the night in the arms of your Captain or any other man, my Pretty Champion. No, you will tempt and delight them on this eve as you flit about on the dance floor, but each will only be left wanting more.”

Relieved, I sighed, “Thank you My Goddess.”

Yet the thought has lost all of its repugnance to you, has it not?”

“It has. Have you changed my thinking?”

Even I, with all my powers, am unable to do that. However, have you explored your memories.”

So prompted I began to do so. At first nothing seemed different and I cast my net further into the past, until I stumbled upon what she meant. It was the last time I had been awake, on a world where milady had sent me to assist a Prince, no it had been a Princess, usurped upon her, no I remember it as his father’s death. And I remembered how he stripped me from a magnificent dress after his coronation, before spreading my legs and ...

“No,” I gasped.

Yet it was true. In all of my bountiful memories saw me making love to a women, I now saw that it had been me who had pleased so many men. It caused me to blush as I accused, “But Goddess, you said you had not changed my thinking.”

And I have not My Child, but I have changed your memories. They are more powerful than magic in their ability to change an individual’s thoughts. Worry not, your memories will be returned to you when you return from Delesion, but for now you are who you need to be.”

“I think I should be unhappy with you My Goddess.”

Are you?”

“No, for I seem myself and how can I be unhappy that I am no longer someone else?”

Is that so? But does this YOU still have the skills needed to repel Yetel’s horde?”

“Of course Milady. While Sir Dallembert and I learned to dance, we spoke much of our plans to prepare for his arrival. Even now Yui, most competent Yui, puts those plans into action, so that tomorrow our games can begin.”

No reply was forthcoming. She had heard enough, proving that her trust in me stayed true, while having said enough to peel away any self-doubt that I was not this pretty young lady in this most gorgeous of gowns. New confidence turned the evening into one where I smiled, laughed, danced, and flirted the night away in a swirl of silk and perfume. Queen Illucise was quite pleased with me and true to Illuni’s prediction, I tempted and delighted the men of the court. Many trying to ingratiate himself to me by asking about my games.

But on that night, I was unwilling to quell their curiosity. Instead I would coyly tell them to be at The Park on the morrow if they wished to find out. Then I would convince each to take me out for a spin on the floor, before moving on to the next gentleman on my dance card.

It was gloriously fun.

Apparently successful as well.

For on the next day, when Dally and I arrived at The Park, there was a throng of people, much larger than those who had been at the fete, waiting to hear what was planned. Nervously I watched their reaction as the minion who acted as Crier made the announcement and was greatly relieved upon seeing a buzz amongst the crowd when it was complete. Paradise fatigues everybody to some degree, thus something new is always interesting. And the notion of becoming the Champion of Delesion was extremely interesting to the men in the crowd.

We had decided a title for a reward was perfect on a world where everything came free. A title that would be earned by the winner of a decathlon seven days hence, consisting of of events that would build skills required to develop our defense force. There would be two types of foot races; a sprint and a distance event. Further races would occur while swimming and on the back of a mount. Also showing their fitness would be the running jump, javelin throwing, and wrestling. The final three events were those most directly related to the fighting we foresaw, consisting of archery, fencing and lance work, which was to be tested by the age old game of threading the needle.

However, despite the initial buzz, I was not surprised to see how very few stick around to begin practicing the events at the facilities Yui had caused to be set up in The Park. This is where the second part of the plan came into affect. Based on criteria developed by Dally, Yui had seen that a number of women were invited to my coming out party the night before. And during the eve I had spent time with each of them, getting to know them, before offering ten positions in my court and explaining what that would entail.

Excitedly, each of the beauties had accepted my offer. So on the day of the announcement, and each day after, the eleven of us were to be found at The Park, most attentively watching those who had come to practice. Having us a spectators, happily squealing and bouncing as we cheered them on, definitely played up to the competitive male ego. Soon more competitors joined their rank, in turn causing additional women to join us as spectators. And so on.

The society, which had been about private dalliances in parlors, small meetings in salons, or grand balls in palaces, was changed to one built around my games. It was not long before a carnival like atmosphere filled The Park. The Queen was often to be found in her pavilion and Illusera, Princess of Festivals, had declared that the decathlon would be a time of celebration..

Yet at the centre remained my ladies and I, always colourfully dressed, which earned us the name of The Butterflies. They were all sweet girls and we became the fondest of friends, though I definitely was seen as the leader. In turn they acted as my mentors in the way of femininity, which seemed to come so naturally while standing on the sidelines watching the handsome men hard at work. We all agreed that they really were quite delicious, something that led to a mischievous decision that in addition to the prizes already announced, the winner of each individual event would receive a Butterfly for the evening with the champion receiving their leader.

When rumours of this began to float about, there was marked increase in the enthusiasm of the competitor’s practice. Just as with our dance practice, the lime cut water was put to good use. It was during this time that I learned that it went by the name Illuni’s Dreams and that when anybody drank or was splashed by it, they would be put into a sleep from which only a minion could awaken them. No matter how short the sleep, one would fully rested. Or if the sleep was long enough, injuries could be healed. The speed that their skills increased was spectacular to behold.

It meant that the decathlon was much more hotly contested than initial practice had implied. So much so that each event had a different winner, with the champion being a Sir Fodlum from the Winter World of Seliel. Good, though not great, at everything he had been considered a front-runner and I personally was thrilled with the result. Having always complained it was too hot on Delesion, he was known for practicing in nothing but a loin cloth giving my ladies and I ample opportunity to devour his physique. Tall, with shoulders as broad as sword, his sculpted chest tapered down to narrow hips and muscular legs. We spent many an hour discussing if the white down covering his body was truly as soft as it appeared. It would be my fortune to find out.

Thus it was that I presented myself to him, at the End of the Tournament Feast, as dinner companion and more for the evening. The way his eyes widened when I appeared left no doubt he was just as pleased with his reward as I was with his victory. But it was not just him and the other winners who looked on in appreciation, for my little court had decided to return favour for favour based upon all the skin the men had been showing while they competed.

Taking inspiration from our nickname, we each wore coloured, gossamer wings and matching, delicate eye-masks. Our gowns, on first glance, could be mistaken for those worn by the other ladies at the supper, though none of their bodices were quite so low cut. However, it was with our skirts that we had taken the naughtiest risk. Cut extremely short, they were fluffed out by lacy petticoats that peaked out from beneath the skirt yet still left significant thigh showing before beribboned, over-the-knee, white, silk stockings pretended to hide bare legs. With those skirts swaying enticingly, due to the strut required from high-heeled shoes, we approached to offer the wreath of victors.

For me, even in the silver heels that matched the rest of my costume, I needed Sir Fodlum to bend his head low before being able to drape the wreath around his neck. As he re-raised his head and I comprehended how he dwarfed me, my excitement gave way to anxiety. However, by the end of the feast, most of it spent with one of his large hands caressing an inner thigh, only lust remained. Needing to say little to convince me to leave before the dancing began, he soon was undressing me in his apartment.

There, with the frequent use of Illuni’s Dreams, Sir Fodlum extended his evening over two days to slake his lusts with my very willing body. It was a well rewarded champion who dropped an immensely satisfied princess at her door.

As we had hoped, the tournament wetted the appetite for games and a succession of tournaments followed for a variety of events, many invented by the citizens of Delesion themselves. Admittedly few of these would prepare people for what would come, but they helped to keep participation and interest high. It was under this umbrella that Dally began introducing team events including one he called, Paint the Stripe. The goal was for a team of ten archers, led by one of the top archers, to shoot as many arrows as possible into a target, chest high and five paces wide, in a specific period of time. Requiring less accuracy than the individual competitions, we were able to keep participants interested, since it required teamwork and many men enjoy the companionship of teams. It was not long before extra targets and longer periods were needed to separate teams into winners. Most of them would have been surprised to learn that they were growing into one of the most deadly archery forces I had ever seen.

However, it was during a game that served no purpose in defeating Yetel that the next breakthrough in our defense plan occurred. Of all places, inspiration came at the final table of a card tournament.

Though only the weekly champion competition received the full Butterfly Treatment, we were never far away when any game was underway. On this day we were serving as good luck charms to each of the eleven players at the final table. Though my gentleman, who seemed to regularly be on the wrong side of a hand, would have just cause to dispute my abilities as a charm. So when he finally won a hand, I clapped happily before throwing my arms around his neck to give him a cleavage smothering hug.

Sir Galmon, a contemporary of Queen Illucise, was older than the bulk of the citizens on Delesion, though neither would appear middle aged on most worlds. Yet not many men, no matter how aged, would be unaffected by my enthusiasm. Sir Galmon, was not amongst that group, and exclaimed, “I say Princess, I have half a mind to say demn it all to my cards, scoop you up, and carry you away for they day.”

“Lah, Sir Galmon. But where would you hide me away?”

That was the problem with The Park. Surrounding the building that held the Entry Chamber and the portals to the territories other than the city, it was pristine and manicured. Nary was there a spot to hide, nor to provide barriers behind which archers could stand. It worried me, for despite their increasing skill, I doubted they had the fortitude to stand up to an advancing horde. True it was good space for a cavalry charge, but Dally felt that in this area we did not have enough horsemen, nor had their skills increased apace with the archers.

Unaware of my thoughts, he none-the-less caught the meaning of my words and answered, “We need a maze.”

“A maze?”

“Aye Princess. On my home world, the Palace of Toulenia had a great big maze in its garden. An absolutely wonderful place for people to hide away from prying eyes.”

“A maze? Oh that’s brilliant Sir Galmon.” I exclaimed, before covering his face in kisses.

This assault, leaving him bemused and kerfluffled, proved to be his downfall, as he lost his last stack of chips during the next hand. Afire with the idea he had put in my mind, I disloyally was not upset, instead after quickly consoling him I hurried away in search of Dally.

Ever since the three days we had spent together learning to dance, we had tended to keep our distance from each other. To much had changed for us to continue as we had always been, it was easier to only spend time with each other over a meal. The rest of the time I was with my new friends, while he spent time practicing with everyone else who entered the decathlon. Never having won the championship, Dally had been steadily working his way through my court as he won a different event at each of the competitions. Knowing he planned next to take the lance competition I scurried towards the grounds where it was practiced.

Always a spectator favorite, there was a crowd around the ring in which men on their horses galloped around trying to spear ten golden rings hanging in the air at varying heights. However, the crowd let me through just in time to see a young man finish a run that saw him miss the final ring. As the people cheered his attempt and a minion reset the rings, I waved to Dally, waiting in the lists for his attempt. Spotting me, he spoke quickly to the men in front of him, who gestured for him to go first.

Trotting his chestnut around the ring he raised his lance in salute to me as he passed, then kicked it into a gallop towards the first four rings. Set in a slalom pattern, it was embarrassing to not spear each of them, but then nobody did at the speed at which Dally showed. His horse than almost spinning in air, whirled about onto the next line, Dally hooking left foot against his saddle as he leaning low off the right to spear the next two low to the ground, before yanking himself upright in stirrups to get the two above his head. Another spin and a quick stab grabbed the ninth and easiest ring, then his horse raced to the last ring, the one that most men ignored. Not Dally, I saw a grin of pure pleasure on his face as his mount leapt upward, over the hedge above which the final ring hung, allowing its master to almost absentmindedly rise up to spear the final ring before bracing himself as the horse was once more hit the ground and thundered across the line. Shrilling triumphantly, his horse reared about in a circle before dropping to all fours and trotting, in an exaggerated high step, towards the minion who waited for the rings.

As the rings slid off the lance into waiting hands, those around the ring burst out cheering, me amongst them. It truly had been a magnificent performance. His collection delivered, Dally trotted his head over to me to say, though I barely heard, “Come on up, we can talk while I cool Grenchar down.”

Caught up in his spell I reached up as he bent over to lift me into place sitting sidesaddle in front of him. Firmly pulled into his chest, by the arm whose hand did not hold the reins, I felt completely safe as we found our way to open space.

Lulled by the gentle sway upon Grenchar’s back, it took a few moments before I accused, “Show off.”

He agreed, “I may have let myself get caught up there.”

“If you’re not careful, everybody will begin questioning why you never win the championship.”

“Oh that has already been asked and answered.”

“It has?”

“Yes. Everybody assumes I have no reason to win what I already have.”

It took a moment, but when I realized that meant me, my ears began to burn. Fortunately Dally proved more of a gentleman than I had known, as Pasqel, and changed the topic. “But enough about me. Why are you here, I thought you were to be acting as Sir Galmon’s good luck charm?”

Grateful, I answered, “Apparently that is not a skill I can claim. Poor Sir Galmon was the first player to leave the table today. However, he may prove to be our good luck charm.”

“How so Princess?”

“He gave me a solution to our problem with The Park.”

The lazy tone in his voice was gone as he prompted, “Do tell.”

“A maze.”

“A maze? Oh that’s perfect. If we build it around the Entry Chamber, we would be able to bottle them up.”

“Exactly. And if we surrounded it with a lake filled with Illuni’s Dreams, we could protect the other portals on islands and use pathways to force them into a narrow band of attack. For instance, five paces wide seems perfect.”

Squeezing me tighter with a quick hug, Dally said, “Isn’t my Princess a cunning minx, but will the Queen agree?”

Warmed, both by the hug and the praise given to ‘his Princess’, I said, “I’m sure she will agree. If you take me to her pavilion, I can see if I’m right.”

“Well I really should let Grenchar cool down a bit longer. If you want, I can let you down?”

“No, it’s fine. You will likely still get me there faster than if I walk, if you do not mind?”

“Not at all, besides you smell nice.”

Lying, I wrinkled my nose and said, “You don’t.”

By the time Dally dropped me off at the Queen’s pavilion the convincing was already complete, Sir Galmon having come directly there from the card table bringing the idea. All I needed to do was to gain control of the project, which I then passed into the capable hands of Yui with a full set of instructions.

On a world where everyday life was imbued with magic such an undertaking was something to be accomplished in an evening. Next morning when I arrived at The Park early arrivals were all staring at what had been built in awe, while I looked on happily. It was perfect. The maze was huge, diamond shaped with the Entry Chamber at the centre, it was hundreds of paces per side. Truly, a small army could get lost inside.

However, on that day it hid not an army, just a multitude of couples wandering about amongst the lusciously vine covered, stone walls. As for myself, no other companion would do for my first foray into those pathways other than the worthy Sir Galmon. Soon helplessly lost we decided to while away the day in a bower at a dead end, until a minion came to our rescue. It was a most pleasant day letting Sir Galmon prove that while aged, his wisdom and experience made for a most enjoyable encounter.

Soon the maze and its lake were circled by a race track, which in turn was separated from the game pitches by tall viewing walls. These walls, reached by staircases at either end, were perfect for spectators to watch a game or a race. We also hoped they would serve our archers well as Yetel’s horde filtered out of the maze.

Dally came up with the next idea, the week after winning the wreath for his lance work. Hunting me down, with his sheaf of javelins, he asked, “Illudine, why should we leave Yetel’s force unhindered while they are in the maze?”

“Well it is as you said Dally. It will be a lot more dangerous to go and face them man to man, specially with the fellows used to a rapier, instead of a shield a sword.”

“How about if we could attack from a distance?”

“How? The maze is at the outer range of bow shot, little alone reaching far inside.”

“I was thinking catapults.”

“Interesting, but wouldn’t whatever we throw just break up the maze? We don’t want that.”

“It would if we were to throw stones, but I was thinking of skins filled with Illuni’s Dreams. I would guess that it would prove rather difficult on morale to have troops dropping over, asleep all over the place.”

“Most assuredly. Still I worry if we introduce catapults, the people will figure out something is going on and panic.”

“Which is why you introduce them through one of your games my Dear Princess. What I was thinking is to set a small fire burning above the maze and offer a prize for the first group to put it out from this side of the race track. Surely someone must be familiar with the concept of siege engines and will see their value in this situation, if not I will whisper advice in a few ears.”

No such advice was needed. Multiple teams figured out the solution rather quickly, it took longer for them to actually build a working catapult and to actually hit the target. It reached the point during the last few days of attempts that people could not enter the maze without the fear of being doused in water. Something that caused much merriment amongst those firing the catapults. It also introduced the next game, after the flame was snuffed, where people would race through the maze, hoping not to get lost or splattered by a drop of Illuni’s Dreams.

Feeling our preparations were almost complete, we spent our time trying to ensure people stayed enthusiastic while we waited for word of Yetel’s progress. Nervous, from the waiting, I invented the Lady of the Lake.

Dressed in my finest shift of white silk I had Yui set me floating, asleep and posed so that hair and clothing were just so, in the lake around the maze. The challenge then went out to rescue me, something that was more of a challenge than it first appeared. Not only was I floating in a lake of Illuni’s Dreams, whose simplest touch would put someone to sleep, but I was also constantly guarded by a rotation of each of the archery teams. A combination I was to hear resulted in a number of spectacular failures.

Once more it was Sir Fodlum who won the prize. Showing great ingenuity he asked the minions to create him a quiver full of arrows, tipped with arrows of Illuni’s Dreams, along with a matching saber. With these he dispatched my midnight guards, then wearing an amulet making him impervious to the dreams he swam out and poached me away. Soon everybody had to have these new toys, resulting in wholesale mock-battles springing up at a moments’ notice.

Good thing everybody was still interested, for when I returned home from playing the Lady of the Lake it was to a house that no longer only housed Dally. Told by Yui that my captain was in the sitting I found him deep in conversation with another man. Though not of this world, I recognized him as Urse Bilongel.

Like Dally, Urse was sworn to Lord Wagnel. However, he did not serve as an aide, instead he commanded a troop of the God’s premier head breakers and soul takers. A scary individual, he returned my greeting with eyes unlike any I had experienced in this body. A look that caused me to scurry over to Dally’s chair, where I perched on its arm. And despite the smirk that appeared on Urse’s face, I was happy to be close to my friend’s protection and to whom I asked, “Is it time?”

“Not quite Princess. Though Yetel has begun to gather his followers, so it could be any day now. We will receive warning when they are about to strike.”

“Is that why Urse is here? To deliver the information about Yetel’s preparations.”

“Partially, he and his men are also here to help stiffen our defense.”

“But I thought Lord Wagnel did not plan to help out.”

“Like me, Urse and his troop are being loaned to you for now.”

“We will be your guard, under Dallembert, your Highness.” The other man stated, dark humour at my situation apparent in his voice.

Remembering how little I enjoyed being made the fool, I vapidly replied, “Oh goodie, I just know you’ll adore the uniforms.”

Urse and company’s arrival signaled the end to any new games, better for all to gain further proficiencies at those already introduced than to add something that would only confuse. This brought forward my worry that all that we had caused them to learn the right things or that they had not learned well enough. Further, I had to try to decide how and when to let everybody know what was about to happen. How would they react?

Fortunately that decision was taken out of my hand two nights later, when Illuni came to all of her people as they dreamed.

Rise! Rise My Children, for villainy is afoot. Whilst thou doest slumber, a foul horde does approach. Rise! Rise and get yee to The Park to defend yourselves.”

Springing upright from Sir Fodlum’s bed, where I had found myself seeking distraction, I saw my maidservant Cei appear to assist me in dressing. It was almost like my squire girding me for battle in my plate, well except for all the things that were completely different, which proved to be almost everything. Even with Cei’s assistance I had only been cleansed and had my hair tied, dangling down my back in curls, with a white, ribbon bow before my companion had pulled on trousers, boots, jerkin, and a coat of chain. Then picking up weapons and helm he looked at me in sudden understanding.

“You knew this was coming.” He stated, without accusation.

“Aye, I did.”

“And so you came to prepare us with your games. Who are you?”

“Just one of Lady Illuni’s servants, whom she trusts in situations such as these.”

“Sir Dallembert? Is he her Ladyship’s champion?”

Surprised by his guess, though glad he did not make the true connection, I answered, “No, Sir Dallembert is Aide to Lord Wagnel.”

He looked at me, as if he wanted to ask more, but instead said, “I should go.”

“You know where?”

“Aye, in my dream her Ladyship told me that I was to command the archers on the Northwest Wall.”

I had known that. Every man assigned to a wall, a catapult or to patrol the park aboard horse with lance would have received such a command in his dreams. Usually I was clearer headed in this situation, but then I had never had the misfortune to be the one left behind. I had to fight the desire to grab Fodlum, drag him back to bed, and not let go, even while knowing that his skills and presence were needed on the Northwest Wall. Nor did I show the tears I wanted to shed, for in the past such tears had always sapped something from me as they caused me to linger upon what I left behind instead of focusing upon what I would face.

Still, a hug would have been nice before he left at a run.

Alone with Cei, it became obvious that I was being dressed in the riding habit inspired by the uniforms that had resulted from my girlish threat to Urse. Over hose and corset of white silk and pink ribbons was pulled a shift of white that fit tightly to show my figure until its skirts, decorated in pink embroidered butterflies, flounced out into a short train that dragged upon the ground despite the heels of my similarly decorated riding boots. Cei then helped me into a riding jacket, pink where it did not froth with lace, that buttoned at my waist and left most of the shift’s skirts showing except where hidden by rounded, knee-length tails. Then setting a matching tricorne hat, adorned with a large butterfly brooch, upon my head, I swept from the room pulling on a pair of riding gloves.

The act of dressing had driven away any thoughts of rushing to the park myself. Not being an Amazon, it was no place for me. I accepted that in this instance my duty was to personify what needed to be defended, not to do the defending myself.

Outside I was not surprised to find my mare, Delia, waiting to take me to the Queen’s palace; however, I was surprised to see the large figure in articulated, plate mail who held her reins. Duco was a member of Urse’s troop, who even in his ridiculous surcoat of pink with a white butterfly emblem appeared as dangerous as I knew him to be. Questioningly I greeted him, “Duco?”

“Princess.” He said, saluting with fist to chest. “Sir Dallembert told me to see that you were to remain safe at the palace.”

“It is okay Duco, I can make it there safely on my own. You should head back to your brethren.”

“I couldn’t do that Princess. Sir Dallembert gave an order and he might hurt me if I don’t follow it.”

That was a lie, though Duco the Weaponmaster was the only one who could make that statement a lie amongst his troop. Still I pretended to accept it and seeing no dispute he handed me Delia’s reins before grasping me around the waist to lift me upon her back. However, he did not immediately let go, instead he growled, “You’re not going to go harrying off to The Park as soon I let go, are you? ‘Cause if you do and I have catch you, then I will put you over my knee and turn your bottom as pink as my surcoat.”

Snorting, I stared down at him and said, “Do you really think I am that dumb Duco? What would I do if I ran into some hairy-assed barb? Flirt with him so that he will cut off his own head?”

“Ack, pardon me Princess. I let myself forget who you are and here after I got on the lads yesterday for the same mistake. It won’t happen again.”

Riding towards the palace I was pleased to see no panic, mostly just men hurrying towards The Park and women watching their departure with worried eyes, before tuning to head in the same direction as us. The palace was the one building that could serve as a fortress. If the defense at the park failed, the plan was to fall back to defend the palace grounds, at which point Lord Wagnel would forget politics and come to our rescue. Trying to distract myself from this possibility I asked Duco, “So why did you have to get on the lads yesterday?”

“Well some of them got upset by the uniforms you foisted upon them. Thinking that it may need to be a manner of honour.”

“Oh my, I did not think of that.”

“Nah, I’m sure you didn’t. But no matter, from what I heard, Urse was being his usual unpleasant self and you finally had enough and put him in his place.”

“That’s what I told those fools yesterday. That and if they made it a matter of honour then they would have to deal with your real self. And that I didn’t want to go to the effort of breaking in a new trooper as a replacement.”

“I wouldn’t hurt one of Lord Wagnel’s men.” I protested.

“Sure you would. If one of them made it into a matter of honour you wouldn’t have any choice but. And just like with Urse, soon as you saw an opening you would strike. I’ve seen you fight, the only person in the troop who would have a chance would be me, good as the rest are they would be done for quick as you wanted.”

“And you? Do you see my foisting the surcoats upon you as a manner of honour?”

“Me? I love them.”

“You do?”

“Ack yes. You would not believe how many times I’ve had a skull or a axe or a gauntleted fist or some such thing on a my chest. And always in black or red. Let me tell you it gets all rather boring. Plus think on how it would affect the enemy. They’ll be so busy laughing that we can destroy their brave boyos leading the charge before they know something’s wrong.”

On that upbeat note we arrived at the palace where a minion, who introduced itself as Bei guided us to a garden in which the Queen and some of her court stood looking into a pool. Curiously we approached to see what silliness had grabbed their attention. However, it was not silliness, for in the water was a bird’s eye view of The Park.

Duco whistled and spoke my thoughts, “Ack, wouldn’t this pretty piece of work make a general’s heart beat?”

I agreed, “Aye, if only we could communicate with our troops as easily.”

“We can carry any messages you wish Princess Illudine.” The minion who had guided us to the garden stated.

“But I thought you could not help in this fight.”

“Princess, you are correct that we cannot fight, that does not mean we cannot continue to perform our duties. One of those duties is carrying messages.”

Later I learned that though my grin at these words appeared rather impish, one that was nothing like my bodyguard’s predatory version, but we apparently had the same sparkle in our eye. Circling about the pool, people stepping hurriedly out of Duco’s way, we checked to make sure that everything was set up correctly. It seemed to be. Each of the walls was manned with groups of lancers and catapults found between in the gaps. Most importantly, at each of the two points where the paths through the Pond of Dreams met the race track, was a group of men, wearing pink surcoats, armed with either halberds or shield and spear. It was up to the two halves of Lord Wagnel’s men, one under Urse’s command and the other under Dally, to stop any invaders from getting free of our trap and forcing the ill-trained lancers to engage.

Pleased with the setup of the plan I joined everyone else as they focussed upon the centre of the pool and the area around the Entry Chamber. The wait had begun.

Then a group of armoured men rushed out of the Entry Chamber’s door before coming to a surprised stop to find themselves surrounded by walls. More surprising to them was the figure of a minion, in the same coloured robe as it who first named me, standing in front of them. Unable to hear either the minion or the raiders, it was as if we watched a pantomime. One that ended violently when the leading invade swung a sword at the minion.

Someone, I don’t think it was me, gasped. But where the blade swung, no longer stood its target. However, its edge had erased all question of the intentions of the sword’s owner and his companions.

Turning to the minion, I said, “Please let the defenders know that the raiders have begun to arrive. Though they are to hold fire until further orders.”

As a first step, the other side sent groups of one hundred men to scout through each of the four openings in the wall around the Entry Chamber’s space. However, as their numbers grew and the space shrunk others were forced into the maze and it took quite awhile before no more men issued forth from the chamber.

“Just under thirteen thousand.”

Pulled away from the view in the pool, I looked to see who had spoken. Recognizing the man as Lord Tolliver I looked at him questioningly.

“Princess, I counted around thirteen thousand raiders arriving.”

Duco agreed, “Close enough not to make a difference.”

“Thank you Lord Tolliver. Bei, please inform any catapult who can hit the centre of the maze to commence firing.”

Seconds later, we began to see catapults being loaded and arms bent backwards, before they were released to fling their burdens into the air. Difficult as they were to aim, many of the skins of Illuni’s Dreams burst harmlessly against the ground or one of the walls inside the maze, but enough ended up where we hoped. Blocks of men were collapsing, asleep, others shouted in confusion while looking upwards to see the arrival of more skins. Further consternation occurred when robed minions began to flash in and out of sight, each time leaving with a man who had been put to sleep by the touch of the magic water on bare skin.

The disappearance of their comrades panicked the invaders who rushed en masse into the maze. It also caused me to ask Bei what was happening.

“Our duty is to look after anyone who is affected by the Goddess’s dreams. We take them to a place where they are protected and wait until it is safe for them to be awoken. Is that wrong?”

“No, it is very good. Please let the catapult crews know to begin targetting the body of the maze, not just the centre.”

More of the catapults were able to begin firing, though the impact of their volleys was lessened by the dispersal of the enemy and the walls of the maze. Yet there still was an impact, which caused Yetel’s troops to spread further into the maze, losing all the cohesion that had existed when they had initially formed up after arriving on Delesion. Even the best troops found it difficult to maintain their cool when attacked by unseen foes, having colleagues disappear and not knowing where to go would make it worse. And, as Lord Wagnel had implied at the beginning, these were far from the best of troops.

Dressed in all manners of armour and holding weapons as varied as their peoples, Yetel’s followers seemed to consist mostly of thugs and bully-boys, not soldiers or warriors. As we watched they were breaking up into smaller contingents of tribes and friends. And amongst the initial four groups of one hundred explorers, those who I would think would be their best, only one seemed to be making any headway.

That group, which had exited towards the East, were making steady progress. At every branch, they would leave a man to mark a corner, before turning left. Then whenever they encountered a dead end they would back-track to the last branch and take the other path. They were getting closer and closer to the Easter exit.

“Bei, please inform the Eastern commander of my guards and the leaders of the two Eastern stands of archers that the enemy is getting close to maze’s exit near their position.”

Finding that exit, the enemy did not rashly charge out. Instead their leader sent men back to gather other groups who had escaped to the East from the catapults. Soon hundreds were lurking within the last few sections of the maze ready to charge forth. And they did.

In their haste, many were knocked off the pathway into the Pond of Dreams, out of action. Others turned right or left to circle around the maze looking for another walkway across the water or to unlimber their own bows. But the bulk of the enemy charged out onto the walkway in front of them, running towards the group of figures, in their ridiculous pink surcoats, who block the end of the path.

It was a long run.

Our men were ready. The bulk of the archers fired volley after volley of Illuni Dreams’ tipped arrows at those who charged across the pathway, while those who had proved the best marksmen targeted those with bows along the edge of the maze. For even though our archers had the protection of the walls and the advantage of firing from a height, it was still possible that a lucky arrow would reach them. And the arrows of the raiders were not meant to put someone to sleep, but to kill.

It was in a hail of arrows the enemy had to brave as they crossed the walkway, many of them falling victim to more than one arrow, then immediately whisked away by minions. Only those who were the best armoured, who showed little exposed skin were able to progress. Amongst those were the one hundred.

“Sir Dallembert and the boys will stop them.” Duco muttered, trying to calm the nerves of those, who watched this development anxiously, around the pool.

It worked. Except for me, who had not been nervous, it had the opposite reaction. Intellectually I had known that I had friends amongst the defenders, but I had been able to lump them in with the group in its entirety. But in using the name of one of those friends Duco had ripped away that shield. Suddenly I was gripped by the fear of what could happen to Dally, my friend. My...yes my friend.

Yet I could not tear away my gaze as the enemy hammered against the front row of kneeling men and were stopped against the anvil of their shields and spears. Stopped and then made victims by halberds swinging or poking over heads of kneeling companions. Blunted by the wall to their front while pressured by those behind, many invaders fell into the pool. They were the lucky ones. They did not need to face the group of men, who had first stopped them, then began a counter-attack. Lord Wagnel’s immortals were a terrible thing to behold in their glory, forcing many of the court to turn away from the pool. For unlike those who worshipped Her Ladyship, they did not contents themselves with weapons of play, theirs were made of sharp steel. No need was there for minions to whisk away their fallen enemies. No need to protect them until it was safe.

The attack on the East was broken. Forcing my attention upon those who were protected them from the fate of their more competent brethren. Numbers continuing to dwindle, both from catapult fire and arrows whenever they got to close to the outer rings of the maze. Some did try to defeat the maze by climbing over top of walls, but without ladders it led mostly to broken bones.

Lost, scared, frustrated, and unable to strike at their enemy many of Yetel’s raiders began to throw away their weapons to sit, back against a wall, with wrists crossed in surrender. Our defense appeared to be going as planned. Fewer and fewer of the enemy attempted to do anything, even those not assuming a pose of surrender.

Considering if it was time to have Dally and Urse enter the maze to be accepting surrenders, my eye was drawn once more to the centre of the pool. There, striding out of the Entry Chamber, was a figure right out of a story. Huge and wearing the blackest of armour to match a horned-helm and massive battle-axe, it was obvious to me that Yetel had made his appearance. The perfect caricature of what it meant to be a God of War. Stopping, he shouted in a voice loud enough to be heard even at the palace, “Cowards! Cowards do you fear their wrath more than mine?”

The voice that answered did not bellow, yet even in its softness nobody on Delesion did not hear my Goddess as she asked, “Why are you here Yetel? On my world that does not want your kind, playing your pathetic games.”

“Who cares what your world wants? I take what I want, when I want. And fragile flowers like yourself or your people exist only to be stomped upon, you cannot stop me.”

“Oh I could, but I might get my new dress dirty. Instead I will leave it to my Champion.”

“Your Champion?” Yetel asked with amusement in his voice. “Yes bring him on.”

I had never faced a deity in battle, did not even know if one could be killed. Still I was ready, even eager, to test my mettle. I waited for my summons, but it did not come. Instead another figure appeared beside the two. For a moment I was outraged to be usurped without a single acknowledgement. Then he spoke and I understood that despite being Illuni’s Princess of Games on Delesion, it did not mean I was mistress of all her games.

“Sorry my dear chap, but Milady Illuni’s champion is busy with more important business than a stupid sack of shit like yourself. Therefore, she asked me to fill in until he is free.”

“You! But...”

Chuckling, Lord Wagnel interrupted, “Yes me. I really cannot begin to tell you how much I look forward to this.”

With a smile of amusement Lord Wagnel caused his appearance to change. Gone was the middle-aged scholar, in his place stood a foppish courtier, dressed in the male version of my outfit. Pink silken jacket, bedecked in lace over matching breeches that showed well turned calves possibly due to high-heeled, buckled shoes and thin, white hose. On his head he wore a hat similar to mine, even covering blackened curls that hung almost as far down as my blue ones. Twirling a mustache he leered at Lady Illuni and remarked, “Demned if I am not a handsome devil.”

Seeing her return it was something of a shock, as was her answer, “You most definitely are Milord. Now why don’t you finish this quickly, so we can move onto more enjoyable things.”

Offering a deep bow, he said, “But of course Milady.”

During this interplay Yetel had remained standing in stunned silence, finally he sputtered, “What...”

However, he got no further, for with a rapier and main gauche appearing in his hands, Lord Wagnel once more interrupted, “Now, now Yetel. Don’t worry your little mind, instead let us obey Milady’s command.”

Suddenly a voice, its timber usually seeming fuller than after listening to the three deities, spoke, “Ladies, you may want to look away.”

I wish I had followed Duco’s recommendation. For what followed was an awful ballet of slaughter unlike any I had ever seen. Like a fatted calf, ready for a feast, Yetel was butchered before my eyes. A flick of a Lord Wagnel’s wrist and a piece of armour would fall to the ground or blood would spurt from an arm. Easily could it have been over in seconds, but a statement was being made. Not to those of us who watched on Delesion, no it was for a much more prestigious audience. Teaching colleagues what would happen if they messed with Lady Illuni and Lord Wagnel. I doubt not that the lesson was well learned, even by the most dense of pupils.

Finally it ended, with a final flick Yetel crumpled to the ground, never to get up. Turning to Lady Illuni, though not in the flirtatious manner used earlier, Lord Wagnel said, “Milady it is over.”

“Yes Milord, I can see that. Over for you, at least after you dispose of that and its followers. But for me, there is one more task. Leave me now to it and I will see you when I am done.”

Bowing to her, he suddenly was gone, along with the carcass on the ground. And if I had looked I knew that all of who had once followed the being that had once lived in that body were also gone. But I did not, I waited.

“Come.”

I curtsied to her, though I did not wait for her permission before rising and staring accusingly at her.

“You must be feeling terribly abused at the moment Child.”

“I am sure Milady has perfectly good reasoning.”

“Worry not, nobody sees us. Say what is on your mind.”

“Very well then. Was any of what I was told before we started this charade true?”

“Yes. It was always possible, even likely, that things could have played out exactly in the manner that we discussed.”

“But?”

“But there was always another possibility. That Yetel was madder than we guessed, that he would actually appear and that somebody would have to deal with him.”

“And that somebody would be me?”

“Yes, bound to me as you are as my champion, covenant decrees that you fight my battles, unless you are unfit at the time.”

“I supposed being Princess Illudine meets that criteria. I can barely lift a sword in my current form. So was I put into this body because you knew I could not succeed as your champion if the need arose?”

“Not exactly. I am not sure if you could have succeeded or not.”

“But I have earned the right to try!”

“Yes you have. However, I was unwilling to chance that I may lose you.”

About to complain that it was not her choice to make, that if I lost it was because I had been bested, I suddenly remembered thoughts from earlier in the day. Of how I wanted to keep Sir Fodlum from battle and of how worried I was to learn that Dally was commanding the body of troops that were going to be attacked.

“You begin to understand.”

“Is that another reason that I am Princess Illudine? To teach me a lesson.”

“You think too highly of me if you believe that. If I had known that this would teach you a greater understanding of my nature, then you would have been gliding about in skirts long ago. No, it is as I said. The type of men who live on Delesion are more easily led by the current you, then by who you truly are.”

“Who is that?”

“Now, now, enough of that. We both know who you are.”

“But can I ever be that again, if you don’t trust me to be your champion...”

“Do you really think you do not hold my trust? If so, then I will release you from my service. I know Lord Wagnel would be pleased to have you as one of his Aides.”

“Oh no Milady! Please, never that. I am yours forever and will fill any role you want.”

“If that is so, then I do have a role I need somebody to fill. It is not the normal duties of champion, but it is most important at this time.”

“What is it Milady? I can do it.”

“Well my people of Delesion need to be distracted from what has befallen them. They need a Princess of Games, not to give them games of war, but ones of flirtation, love, lust, joy and even silliness. Would you be willing?”

“I would love nothing more.”

Later as I made my way out of the maze, I found Dally waiting. Spotting me, he blinked in surprise, before approaching me to say, “I did not expect to find you still here Princess.”

“The Goddess has need for me to stay as I am for the moment. Such is our life of service.”

“Aye, for instance we will likely never know the entire story behind this adventure.”

Apparently his God was not as open as was my Goddess. Yet neither did I feel like telling him everything I had learned, instead another matter was on my mind. “No, we likely never will. So what are you going to do now?”

“Well I thought I would stick around and attend the celebration party the Queen is hosting.”

“Oh a party? That sounds lovely.”

“Doesn’t it.” He grinned, mistaking my words for sarcasm.

“Oh by the way, I heard that while I played Lady of the Lake you won the championship.”

“After winning each of the competitions, I decided it was time.”

“You didn’t receive your reward.”

“No, I was well rewarded.”

“You misunderstand my Champion, I did not ask a question.”

“Oh?”

“Ohhhh!”

 
 

Afterward

I have often encountered the concept of Court of Love or gentility taken a step too far when reading history or fiction. In nearly all instance I cannot help but think how silly the entire thing appears to be. Therefore, when I chanced upon the idea of introducing my main character (for Stardust’s "What it was, was Magic!" contest) into such a court, I thought the results would be somewhat harsh in its condemnation of the practice. However, an idea for transition does not a story make, only begins.

While discovering the path the idea was taken I was somewhat surprised with what was happening. I had not planned to imbue the world with magic, despite the transition experienced by Sir Pasqel, yet it became the answer to everything. I thought there would be many characters conniving behind each other’s backs, yet that to did not happen.

In the end, the result is rather silly. Perfectly logical when we go back to my original thoughts on Courts of Love.

I’m content with those results. I hope you are as well.

Arcie Emm

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quite Content

Yes, I find myself QUITE content with the results. I think you did a lovely job, with just the right amount of intrigue and battle.

Champion Butterfly

Arcie Emm,
I found the story delightfully entertaining. I am honestly surprised that it did not go as you had first envisioned it, as it seemed nicely planned out as I read it. Regardless of your intentions it has my vote for contest winner. Good luck.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Courting the guard

I like your genre. The combination of middle ages technology and magic conspire to lift them far above the ordinary. I liked the insights you showed us of your heroine. The rationale behind many actions are often lost in the telling. I like Duco's explanation for the costume, it helps smooth the warrior's aceptance of the frivolity,. In thruth it adds to the confounding of the enemy.
All in all, A job well done! Thank you for sharing this with us. Early June

Ahem The result of love and

Ahem The result of love and a rather unbloody war too :)
Not to bad, even though i lack for that windowpane darkly that allow us to look into the swirling murkiness of human souls and their motives.

you kept this tale on the lighter side of humanity if I may say so.
And I fully think I understand.

Reading about how humans treat each other in reality is at best a sordid truth
Never to be mistaken for the quest for truth love and faith that we write about in our life eternal.
( Ah, on paper it may well be eternal. Prove me wrong, Duh :)

Better to keep your trust intact than to start of every time with suspicion and malice,
as seems to be the common nominator of how to be a 'real life' human.

At least it allows you to keep your soul breathing.
So yeah, it was good even if somewhat to 'pure' for my taste.

yoron