Room in Hell chapter 7.

Printer-friendly version

The alarm was almost pleasant to wake up to; some classical song that was rather dark sounding, but soothing. I idly wondered what radio station it was tuned to. I did not want to leave the bed however; It was just so comfortable. The late night lessons were tedious but necessary. I already felt under trained for what I was being asked to do. I'd learned two useful tricks last night; hopefully I wouldn't need to use them.

Grex was where ever his home was of course...didn't want to give the powers that be more cause to worry. Which meant that getting caffeine was my job. I set my new tea kettle on and made up a mug, pouring in a spoon of sugar and a tea bag before cracking the text I was studying the day before.

After tea and a few pages, I showered and put one of the brand new sports bras on, as well as underwear. Olive drab fatigues went over those, and when I wanted the robes would go over the fatigues.

Simple.

A few sprays of that silly detangler crap, and I brushed my hair out, leaving it loose. That done I checked the seals that kept the robes lightweight, armored, free from snagging on things if you moved quickly, as well as cool. All the seals were perfect, including the temperature regulator, so I slipped it on and made more tea. Wouldn't do to get heat exhaustion the first day.

The cowl worked too, shadowing my face as I tried it, but I didn't like the look...my red eyes seemed to glow slightly from the inside once my face was shadowed.

I left it down. If called on it, I'd put it back up, but only if called on it.

The expected knock sounded, and I let Karen in.

"Good morning, how do you feel? Sleep well?"

How did she bounce off the walls like that this early?

"I'm fine and slept great. Tea?"

"Um, sure!"

I poured for her as she perused my book.

"Good one, the basics. You'd be surprised how many try to run before they can really walk."

"I've found that the fundamentals of any profession are the most used skills."

"Basic banishment is going to be something you use nearly every week."

"Oh? How so?"

"Well it's kind of given you don't kill another summoners demon...but pranks are common, and small banishment rituals tend to disrupt those. Keeps us all in practice for the real deal."

"makes sense I suppose."

I checked the clock. It was 8:15.

"I guess we should get going?"

"yeah probably."

She led the way out, hood down. She also didn't tell me I needed mine down. Excellent.

She led the way to the elevator, which now worked and we rode it. It clattered a bit as it descended, and rattled around. Karen didn't seem too concerned about it so I relaxed.

Once at the hum-vee she turned and yelled: "Catch!"

I caught the keys and raised an eyebrow.

"You should get used to driving one of these; you'll likely end up doing it sooner or later. Most of us get a company car assigned to us. While on duty you'll probably end up driving one of these."

"Alright. Can't be any worse than any other SUV."

I carefully backed out and drove...I didn't want my first day to start with an accident. I was kind of lucky in that other drivers seemed to want to keep their distance, so i had plenty of room.

"See? Easy. Other motorists react like we have the plague, so we can basically do anything we want, and they just move. One of the perks of the job."

Perks are where you find them I guess...being ostracized might indeed be a plus though. The station was right in the center of town, in the old city. Which of course meant it wasn't really that far from my new apartment; only maybe a 20 minute walk. Which turned out to be 10 minutes by car, as finding a place to park took a few minutes.

Karen once again led me with a cry of:

"Come on, slowpoke!"

I followed at a more sedate pace, taking in everything as nonchalantly as I could.

Not that I was at all intimidated or nervous; nope, not at all.

"Come on!"

Karen came back and started dragging me again.

"What's the rush?"

"We might miss the donuts!"

I felt my eyes roll. Was she seriously worried about donuts?!? We walked into the old dilapidated police station past the ancient globe lights flanking the sidewalk. Into the dingy...lobby? Not sure what you called it. Waiting room? Past the desk sergeant and up the stairs to the fifth floor. The ancient glass paneled door declared this to be the fifth floor, or 'Homicide, SWAT, and ADTF.'

Karen pushed through with a wild yell.

"Hey everyone, I'm back! Miss me?"

General yells of assent hit my ears as I looked around, spotting all sorts of large gruff ex-military types. the kind they make marine posters out of, complete with scars and massive guns. I don't think I saw anyone,in either a SWAT or ADTF uniform, that was less than 6 feet tall or 200 pounds. They seemed to be clustered around an ancient, yellowed and peppered dart board, taking turns. At least, those that weren't eating donuts.

Karen snagged a bear claw while passing the table where the box sat, still dragging me along.

"So this is our new blood?"

Just like that I was surrounded by new faces, all staring directly at me.

"Hmm, she looks kind of green around the gills. Sure she can handle us?"

This from a gentleman with an honest to god eye patch, right hand smoothing back his light brown hair and left holding a dart. His uniform did absolutely nothing to hide the terrific shape he was in, from biceps to abs to calves, all lean muscle. He sort of reminded me of a glance of a panther I'd seen in a zoo once. He had the same look of moving while standing still.

"Stuff it Pearce. Anyway this is the new recruit, Maeve Numens. Highest marks this year in both criminal justice, criminal behavior, and hunter/seeker tactics...and all ours."

I took my cue.

"Hello, nice to meet you all."

The captain, a man who at 6 foot 5 or so, and 280 if he was an ounce, reminded me of a grizzled mma fighter I'd seen in action once (Seriously, where do they dig up these specimens?) walked into my personal space. Must be where Karen gets it. He made a show before inspecting me while I gave him a what I hoped came across as a challenging stare.

The he abruptly grinned, and seemingly transformed himself into the large bluff uncle everyone seems to have.

"Hi there! Any relation at all to our narcotics Numens? The detective that works a few floors down?"

I thought quickly...do I want to dodge this or face it head on?

"He's my father, sir. You know him?"

Hell with it; nothing was ever gained by hiding. I looked up again to see him nodding.

"Yes I do, we work with him sometimes when he needs SWAT support for a raid. He's well thought of here."

"So you do SWAT missions while not on call for ADTF?"

"Yep, that's right. WE all do. You won't of course, but we eat up too much of the law enforcement budget not to get used for pretty much anything the
chief wants while not on duty. The way it works is, there is always a team on call, with another team on standby doing other operations. We all do each
other's jobs here. One week we are standard SWAT, next week we are ADTF. We wouldn't even do that if we didnt need to for the quick response."

"So what do I do?"

"Mostly sit around on government dole and look busy. Sometimes we get cases involving demons, or crimes with the possibility of magic involved, and then you work. we've had two incidents involving demons in the last three months, and one case where a hitman was somehow summoning demons to kill his victims."

"I knew of one of those. I'm rather surprised that there is so much."

"I know what you mean, when I first got back I didn't think I'd see another demon again; not around here. But even in the low incident places, there seems to be a surprising amount. You will earn your pay."

"But first...." A voice popped up from the crowd.

"Oh yes, first....we determine whether you're any good at all. To the practice range!"

I was gently ushered down through the building by a crowd of laughing, chatting cops, all ignoring my gently worded protests. Into the dank moldy basement we went, where I was shown into the standard police range, all concrete with paper targets on those little lines...and guns, guns, guns.

Now, summoners aren't taught firearms till after their ritual. The reason that everyone knows but no one says is simple. Teaching a guy you're potentially condemning to death and madness how to kill you, and giving him access to the means, is generally seen as a bad idea. Most summoners are never taught guns, but rather swords and knives, as guns don't actually hurt demons.

Seems you cant put runes on bullets; they disintegrate when the bullets are fired, breaking the integrity. A large reason why guns are ineffective, and summoners are needed in the first place. But guns still had a use in society and even in battles with demons, so they still existed.

But more to the immediate point, I was being set up to fail as some sort of hazing.

what they didn't seem to fully realize though, was that I was the child of an ex-marine and veteran cop.

I was handed earplugs and protective glasses as I was led to the furthest range, and a 1911 was pressed into my hands. I checked it in complete silence; loaded, safety on. The range was empty save for all the SWAT/ADTF staring intently at me. I adjusted my grip to avoid slide bite, thumbed the safety, and took a standard weaver stance in a heartbeat and emptied the clip.

I made sure the gun was safe while the captain thumbed the button to bring the target up, and waited. half my shots were in the head, the other half
around center mass. I frowned a bit. Normally I'm much better, but apparently my new form threw me off more than I anticipated.

"Well, not bad at all. You can shoot motionless targets well enough."

"you know what this means cap?"

"I sure do Gary...it's morning exercise time! Everyone outside!"

I was again gently herded as Karen shook her head, back upstairs and out the front door; where everyone started to jog along the sidewalk around the building.

"This really necessary?" I asked Karen as she stopped just outside, resignation clear on her face.

"If you don't do it, they will think of worse. They are all ex-military, unflappable. They don't intimidate easily."

I sighed, and sprinted a bit to catch up.

**********************************************************

It took twenty laps around city block before they stopped trying to run me into the ground. My new body was much softer than my old one, but I still managed to keep it together for the run...barely. Sigh, all that work staying in shape wasted.

Pearce walked back to where I was hunched over and panting.

"Not bad kid; most summoners can't do that run out of basic."

"I...made a point of...running with the troops. As much as possible...anyway." I panted, walking slowly back into the cop shop. Once inside, the SWAT and ADTF closed ranks again. I looked around at them, anger starting to boil.

"So there's more?"

"Nope, not really.' replied the captain. "Just had to see what we get to work with."

"What exactly do you mean?" I asked as I was escorted up the stairs.

The captain still looked around a bit before replying, unused stairs or not.

"simple, it's no real secret in this department that what the summoners academies turn out are for the most part half trained kids barely able to spell police work, much less do it, and soft as warm butter. We usually have to train most on the job, and we wanted to see how bad you were. You'll be pleased to know we all decided we likely won't need to babysit you as much as our last new guy."

Gary snorted. "That guy was a real piece of work."

"Right, couldn't find his ass with both hands. So anyway, now only two things remain. The first is your demon, but since you won't have your dagger yet, we won't be able to see him..."

I interrupted as Karen face palmed.

"Actually if you want, I can summon him anytime."

"Really? well this I have to see!"

We reached the squad room and the captain turned to me expectantly. I cleared a space among the assembly crowding me.

"Grex, veni huc!"

The expected tear in the floor opened up, and Grex poured through it, solidifying to the words;

"You called, my master?"

I looked to see many jaws being picked up off the floor. It was rather satisfying.

"Well. So you can just summon him without blood or his name. Useful trick, might be something the next class could bargain for Karen."

"Already considering it captain, our little snow white here has turned the summoning community on it's ear a bit."

If glares could melt people where they stood, Karen would surely be dead. If these cops picked up on that stupid moniker....

"Snow white?"

"The last step, I remember. A nick name? That's her squad name. Got to go report to the chief before he bursts a blood vessel! Have fun!"

My worst fears realized...I knew how cops could get with names, that's why my dad was to this day called 'Narc Numens' by the lowest beat cop to the chief himself. I had been hoping to leave that moniker behind. I tuned back into the present, where general acclimation's of assent over the stupid name were being muttered.

"I don't suppose you all could forget you heard that, could you?"

Shark grins, all tooth, met my gaze.

"Of course not. So captain, what's Karen's name?"

"Oh you don't know? She's Kare bear, Cause she's the resident head shrinker for us."

Kare....bear? Oh how priceless.

"So! Snow, one last thing to do."

Damn it.

"And what's that captain?"

"Party of course! Wheel it out Cords!"

out came a large wheeled cart with a 3 layer cake...devils food of course, along with various soft drinks. No drinking while on duty of course. This mobile snack bar was wheeled out by a man with an average build, dark shaggy hair with some stubble and a ruggedly handsome face. while he was as cut as the others, he wasn't as overtly muscled as many; thick glasses gave him a bit of a nerd air.

Wait, did I just think he was handsome? No, I'm quite sure I did not. Nothing of the sort, not from me.

"Cords here doesn't take an active role much; hes our resident tech head and communications expert. He usually runs strategy from his cave back there."

Well every operation had to have its' brains. Cords served me a large piece of cake, allowing every one else to get their own. Apparently I was a guest of honor or something.

"Don't worry,' he said with a blush; 'we ordered it from the bakery down the street."

"That is very reassuring; it's hard to imagine a bunch of macho cops baking a proper devil's food."

Grex perked up a little at the cake's name as laughs at my horrid joke broke out. I mean, both I and my dad knew how to cook...mom didn't always cook...edible things.

"So I noticed it's just Karen and I today..and she's pretty much here to make sure I don't screw up. How many summoners does the department employ?"

Cords answered as the captain's face was stuffed with cake.

"there are usually three on duty at any given time, today, it's you and Karen. Tonight it'll be Reggie and Al. the department normally employs around twenty, though we are down a few at the moment. Standard shifts are nine to five, three to four days a week, depending on how unlucky you are."

"Can't do five?"

"Five days a week with the potential of a demon summoned for hours at a time was deemed unconstitutional; sort of the same thing as having kids work fourteen hour days. It tended to make summoners....unstable."

"OK, got you. Still that is more summoners then I thought were stationed here."

The captain chimed in.

"We get that a lot. Most people don't see summoners, they go about their lives without ever coming into contact with them or their targets...and we like it that way."

I nodded affirmation to that sentiment.

"All that being said,' Pearce chimed in; 'most of the time you'll sit here on your ass reading news or the like and eating donuts. Unless the captain
takes the day to train you in ADTF tactics. How to support us in the field and the like."

"And I assume that is on the agenda?"

I looked around as I cut another small piece of cake...it was quite good. Faces hardened momentarily as I handed it and a plastic fork to Grex, but nothing was said. He took a speculative bite as the captain recovered himself and spoke up.

"Tomorrow, a hand picked squad will be training in standard urban anti-demon tactics. You'll be joining them."

Grex spoke up.

"Master, you were lied to."

The faces of my new co-workers hardened further as Grex called them out.

"Oh, how so Grex?"

"This isn't devil's food at all. It is simple chocolate."

The faces relaxed as I laughed.

"That's why you were curious? That is simply what we call it. you guys should forgive Grex for that one at least, he's kind of an idiot...an idiot who is on our side for now."

I stressed the last words, my own voice gaining steel. they had the good grace to look sheepish. I knew it; they weren't afraid of demons, or summoners, having worked with both extensively...but working with demons extensively bred hatred. I ignored the righteous indignation painting his features, cute as the look was.

Why should a murderer of their friends get away with it, and indeed, have cake, while said friends were cold in the the ground?

The answer was of course, that while I lived, said murderer was on our side. Come to think of it, I had no idea what part Grex has played so far in the war...I should ask. When I had time.

My musing was interrupted by a voice that I had hoped not to hear this soon.

"Excuse me for interrupting captain, I was told my child had officially joined the fold?"

My father was staring at Grex as if he'd seen him before. Which I realized, he must have.

"Ahh Numens, indeed she has. Cake?"

"Hi dad. Sorry captain, cake will have to wait."

I grabbed my dad's arm before he could do anything but gape at me and dragged him to a quiet corner of the room.

"First off, it's Maeve now...I won't respond to that other name I had. I can't. Second off, you and mom have some explaining to do."

He looked me over and his normally hard facade softened.

"You look like you'd be your mother's younger sister. Grex demanded the same price?"

The world swam around me.

"...what?"

"Grex was your mother's summon. He demanded her gender as part of his price for service. Your mom thought it was only for the ten year term of service, but it was permanent."

Sigh. That explained much. My mother had been born male, as I had. It might even explain her madness. But it wasn't quite correct. I knew enough about Grex to know that.

"No dad...mom didn't sell her gender on purpose; I didn't either. Grex likely tricked us both, in the same way. I sold my first name and I thought years of my life. Mom sold..me."

"What do you mean?"

"Grex can't lie to me dad. I bargained well, all things considered. He told me mom bargained for a sort of mental back door in her firstborn; a momentary lapse of judgement that I'm even now paying for. He told me that without that, I wouldn't have fallen for this."

I gestured down at myself, scorn flowing naturally now that I wasn't trying to hide it. His shock completely shattered what was left of the hard bitten facade he normally sported.

I wasn't proud of doing that to him.

I helped him to a chair as he stumbled.

"you're absolutely sure of this?"

"Positive. Grex is one hundred percent mine, has to follow any order I give him, for as long as I require it. I order him to tell the truth, he has no choice but comply or breach contract."

"And a demon would rather be slain than breach.' He nodded, running his fingers through his hair, 'OK, I trust you."

"It explains much from my point of view. I think that price was what drove her insane, finally."

He nodded.

"Perhaps...I met her when she served her first tour; Poland. she was so strong, confident...cold. she didn't break till almost after her 10, when you were born...and she warmed up. I remember her looking at Grex, who was watching you...he looked so hungry...."

I shook him out of it.

"Dad? Dad! My problem now. I can handle Grex, you taught me well."

He swept me up in a large warm hug which I awkwardly returned.

"I know. you're my child, you can handle that thing. Just remember, I'm here for you."

There were tears in his voice, but none on his face. I crossed the room, grabbed a piece of cake, and took it back to him.

"Here. This is supposed to be a party."

He took a bite and got up.

"You know, you should see her."

"Mom? I had intended to...but it's likely to get messy."

"I know; here."

He handed me a set of keys. The keys to my car that I'd only owned for a day before being forced to leave it three months before.

"I drove it in today; but I can get a ride. It's your car after all. Welcome to the force."

He turned and walked out, cake forgotten in his hand.

"Thanks dad."

So he didn't really know. If he had he'd have told me. Which meant he was lied to, as I was. Grex handed me a soda while I sat there, thinking.

(tbc)

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hooray!

I just got around to reading chapter 6, click on the home page to refresh... and chapter 7 is there! Yay! It's like Christmas time, only with better stories...!

In regards to this chapter, I can only speculate silently about that little extra that might come out when Maeve talks to her mother. It just goes to show how little the world really knows about Summoners; given that Maeve never knew her mother was born male.

And... I wonder how different summoners would be treated by the general public if they knew more? Although that might make it harder to hate all things demon...

Anyway, thanks for the chapter and I look forward to more!

xx
Amy

PS

Damn right it's not "devil's food"... it's more like heavenly food.
Mmmm chocolate cake...

xx
Amy

Unraveling

Grex's half-truths and the lies we tell ourselves is going to be a job. Mom is liable to seriously freak, and I'm thinking that isn't going to help things. I do hope they can become close, because they're going to need all the support they can get.
hugs
Grover

PS: Chocolate! The food of the gods!

Grex.

Everyone assumes Grex is lying about his goals. He's been absolutely straightforward when asked. The lies are all in the minds of the humans he's been dealing with. (And in ours.) It's what he's counting on, in a way.

He was disappointed about the chocolate because the devil...eats something a bit more tasty to him. He was tricked by the pesky humans.

ps. Chocolate and mint chocolate chip ice cream 4lyfe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

It should be interesting.

When Maeve goes to see her mom. That she had been male before her first summoning is something to consider and could have contributed to her insanity once she got pregnant. Maybe not, though. And yes, I do believe that Grex is playing a very long game (in human terms that is) to achieve a goal that may not be so great for the summoners involved with him.

At least Maeve showed the others she is going to work with that she isn't a complete tyro and is tougher than they expected.

Her father's reaction was a pretty good one, all things considered.

Maggie

Once more with Feeling

I am getting a new laptop where I can disable the mousepad.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Ah yes the Angels

feel the same about Angel Food Cake.

Nice addition, maybe now that it finished(the cost of her mom's contract) she may be able to heal, if it does not drive her to her death, though I think Maeve is not going to make it any tougher on her, least I would hope not.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I Honestly can't say,

Even Maeve and my muse are playing that one somewhat close to the vest; it could go either way.

Maeve's father intrigues me more and more however; he's a man that says so much, with so few words. A trait that is almost impossible not to like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

I'm wondering if Grex

belongs to a faction that is at war with the demons infesting the world? He could still be a demon, even basically a bad guy, but against those trying to take over the world. He seems to have planned this out over quite some time to be able to help Maeve with some serious kick ass abilities.

Of course, he may be trying to deceive Maeve into falling for a hidden agenda, all while telling only the absolute truth. Difficult, but not impossible for a demon.

I still favor the warring demon scenario. Such much room for fun, while allowing us to actually like Grex. And I really want to like the conniving old so-and-so!

SuZie

What can I say?

He's a charmer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

still trying to figure out

still trying to figure out why Grex made Maeve have red eyes and white hair. it does not really accomplish anything.

he does come across as one of the more friendly demons we have met so far. more of a thinker as oppposed to a brute.

still likes to eat humans though....so thats a negative.

Faulty logic.

You're assuming white hair and red eyes are something Grex did...or even had control over.

He was in fact contractually bound to deliver those; a side effect, as it were.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Ah!

So the white hair and red eyes are her demon marks?
Hugs

Grover

more please!

more please!

Room In Hell

I am enjoying this story very much. It seems to be very well written and has great potential. I hope that you are inspired to make it very long, as I am already drawn to the characters and wish to read much more.Thank you for the story so far. Kris