Julina of Blackstone - 013 - Plotting At Pace

Printer-friendly version

Things start to fall into place as Julina gets more appointments, but things are happening at a far greater speed than anticipated

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

013 — Plotting At Pace


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
013 — Plotting At Pace

Some two bells later, we were freshened both inside and out and it was time for us to venture forth once more. We had decided to go down to the works where my new house was to be, but calling on various destinations as we made our way down the Main Street.

I had one in mind particularly; I wanted to call in to Michen's, ostensibly to see the room, but I was hoping that I could run the girls past Kassama's experienced eye. I knew that she would need to approve of the staff, even if she had little to do with them, otherwise working life could be most unpleasant if there were any nasty undercurrents.

So the six of us, despite Kelly's best efforts to dissuade Payner and her mother, went out and about once more. Payner wanted to join in after he heard all the tales from what had happened to us earlier. Malet, I think, would have bowed out gracefully, knowing that we four girls wanted to have some girly time, but she felt that with Payner there as well, she could be shown to be our chaperone and she could also — perhaps — continue to learn something. She was also very intrigued by the private salon I had tried to describe. It had been agreed with the two bellringing brothers that they could manage the bells until the evening meal, so there was (sadly) no reason to deny Payner a place in our little party. It was a less giggly group that set out on our afternoon trip. It struck me forcibly just how the group dynamic could change just because there was a boy with us.

We must have chosen the most awkward moment of the day, as there were wagons going in both directions, squeezing past each other with very little clearance. It would take us an age to be able to gain the sidewalk on the far side of the road, so we decided to use the one on our side and cross when the traffic was less. We made it down only a few buildings, to the Forge to be accurate, before we found our first interruption.

A large group of men were standing in the entrance to Master Brydas' workshops, just by the low walls made for testing the trusses. Captain Bleskin himself, Mylady's Steward in our town, was standing with his back to us as the others faced him; he was speaking as he waved a piece of paper in front of himself.

“… and we have our very first volunteer Guildsman arriving shortly. He has been trained by Master Hurdin himself in the arts of glassmaking, particularly the new developments suggested by Mylady. He feels that there will be much demand here as the town grows and has applied for permission to set up here. His name is Pocular. Therefore, I suggest we direct him in the first instance here, Master Brydas — if it pleases you. I understand there to be some degree of integration required in this new method …” he broke off as several of the men's heads were looking at us.

It was Master Bezan who spoke out: “Mistress Julina! Well met! We were on our way to find you.”

“Masters! My goodness, there are so many of you! Well met Masters Brydas, Jepp, Bezan, Yarling, Waldan. Your honour, Master Steward.” I said as he turned and we all dropped a curtsey. “If I might name my companions — Mistress Malet …” I completed the tedious formalities, when I knew that more than half of them knew who we all were — but while there was a possibility that one of them or one of us did not know everyone, then the entire list had to be gone through. “May I enquire as to why you may have been searching for me?”

“The Assembly would like to thank you for your assistance and have agreed to go ahead with the schoolroom you suggested. We would like yourself and Mistress Epp to attend there tomorrow at the sixth bell in the day if that's convenient? Master Michen and Mistress Epp have agreed and we just wanted your confirmation. We also wanted to thank you for the introduction of Master Bezan and Master Deegrum. We now have sufficient information to make solid plans.”

“Thank you, Master Jepp.”

Another voice took up the conversation: “I am given to understand that you have made some other suggestions and been generally very helpful. I thank you on behalf her Ladyship. With such helpful and intelligent ideas, I am certain that Blackstone will be such a successful town, and a place that people will want to come to to live.”

“Master Steward, er ... Your Honour, I am quite ordinary. I do not know how to react to such lavish praise.”

“Your humility is a credit to yourself and your parents. Thank you once more.”

I tried to hide behind the others, I was blushing so hard. But Master Waldan wouldn't let me escape quite so easily: “Mistress Julina, your saddle is finished, just the final polish to do. Will you come by for it, or should I deliver it to your home?”

“Er, Master Waldan, we have come to an arrangement with Mistress Sukhana at the Claw and our beasts are now stabled there. Perhaps the saddle could be delivered there? Please? There is a lad working there called Parrier. He would know what to do with it.”

“So shall it happen, Mistress.”

After the seemingly endless list of mutual partings, we eventually managed to escape — or so it seemed at that instant. We were just moving away when Malet suddenly snapped her fingers as she remembered something and whirled round once more, getting her words in just as the Steward was taking breath to continue his words.

“Master Yarling? Have you perchance a moment or two for me?”

Everyone in both parties turned round to listen to this conversation.

“Mistress Malet?”

“I believe that you are in charge of the mining operations?”

“That is correct, Mistress.”

“Well, this morning …” she went on to explain about our visit to the main mine, before asking her question at the end. “So your man there told me that it is possible for the wagons on rails to be switched onto other rails. Is this so?”

“It most certainly is. The curves required have to be gentle, but nevertheless, it IS possible.”

“As you are aware, Master, we are of the bellringer family here and we maintain the timepieces — not just sanddroppers but also the main clock. Well the clock works by weight — the weight pulling downwards makes the counterweights go upwards, and makes all sorts of things turn — so why don't you use a two-wagon system so that the filled wagon descends, and as it is descending, it pulls the empty wagon upwards? You would just need some bit in the middle where the two wagons can pass each other. Or you could have two parallel tracks. With the exact length of rope, the empty wagon will always appear at the loading place exactly as the full wagon appears at the unloading place.”

There was a dead silence for a good half a moment until Master Bezan burst out laughing, saying: “This place is just something else. Mylady MUST have sprinkled some strange dust around. What a simple and yet very effective idea.”

I think everyone there understood the idea that Malet had proposed, and we all realised at the same time that output could be almost doubled so simply.

Finally, we managed to part; the men all turned back to listen to the rest of what the Steward had to say, as we went on.

Our party then took the earliest opportunity to cross the road to the other sidewalk before turning down to go to Michen's. When we got there, I checked through the window and, sure enough, Master Morden was there, mouth open and head hanging. I pointed him out to the others and they all understood the need to be quiet, which left me with the difficult choice of how hard to rap on the front door.

I tried my best, and must have been successful — the old man had stirred but not wakened. I saw Kassama poke her head round the window frame to see who was there. I think she was quite shocked at the size of our party, but she acknowledged us and signed that I was to take everyone straight to the Salon quietly when she opened the door. I, probably unnecessarily, conveyed that message to the others, and they all showed their understanding. Kassama had by then opened the door and we all tip-toed along the passage to the Salon.

I heard Kassama talking with our future boss (I hoped) in an upstairs room and there was just one moment when her voice got sufficiently loud for us to hear: “... to see Master Michen ...” and what seemed to be a reply with a tinge of disappointment. I understood the implied message and that it would be a little while before the masculine version appeared.

I let the others look round the Salon first, not wanting to spoil their first impressions by imposing my thoughts. I did notice that there was an obvious difference between the way we women looked at it as opposed to Payner, who was the first to break the silence, but in a voice little more than a whisper, which made me smile.

“Yes, this is a nice room to spend an evening. Not the hustle and bustle and hubbub of a public room — er, or so I have heard,” he finished quickly, stealing a look at his mother from the corner of his eye. “I have heard that our new Sheriff has had to step in twice on both of the last two nights.”

Malet shot him a glance, and I knew that the two of them were going to have a serious chat when they got back home in private. Then she continued, also in a lower voice than normal: “This is a peaceful room — I can understand the attraction. I would change a few things, some of the furniture in other places and …” She trailed off as she started to imagine what she would do.

Another, unexpected, voice piped up: “That cupboard has to go — the sideboard should be over there. I assume that that door in the corner is the service entrance? The walls need a freshening of colour, just a little paler than this. Pick out the shelves in a little darker hue.

“The door opens into the room, which removes a certain amount of space. A curtain or a sliding door would be better, at least make the door open outwards. But draughts might be a problem for diners.

“I assume that the clients would come in the way we did, so there will need to be a doorman at the street door. The clients would need to have coat hooks in the corridor or have a derobing room. I think I need to see the serving side as well, as that affects what storage area would be required in here.”

We all looked at Gyth in a certain amount of astonishment. We never knew that she had such an eye for detail — and we certainly never knew that she could be so assertive. Just then, the main door opened and Kassama entered with Master Michen. Michet was still there as she peered out and smiled at me, but the others would never have picked up on that.

I performed the introductions yet again and everyone did their bit before I explained why we had come — well, with the exception of why Payner was with us. I think he was vaguely embarrassed at having no reason to be there other than inquisitiveness. Kassama and Master Michen picked up very quickly on the crush that Payner had for me, and on the fact that he was a bit of a hindrance to our party. The two of them, however, came up with a scheme that afforded us some temporary relief.

“Kassama, I must show our visitors the facilities here and you have to look after Father — and yet, I am supposed to cross to the Forge to pick up our promised forks — I assume they are now ready.” He caught both Kassama's and my eyes, and subtly indicated Payner as well.

Kassama caught on first and said: ”I regret Master that I can not leave your father for that length of time. I could I suppose hope to attract an urchin …”

These were all the clues I needed to be able to say: “Oh Payner? Could you run across to the Forge for us? That way we can be shown around, and Master Michen has one less chore to think about. I would be so grateful.”

The poor lad had no choice really, and he received detailed instructions from Master Michen about who to ask for, what to check and so on and so forth. He was torn between pleasing us and gaining credit that way, and missing out on something that might be interesting. His puppy eyes looked at me as he left us. I made sure that I kept a neutral outlook.

I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when he went.

Kassama left us all together but her eyes told me she wanted to chat with me alone at some point. I nodded agreement. Then Master Michen showed us, well showed the others, the rooms and kitchens and so on. I told them what I had thought about the water usage in the toilets and even got a round of applause from the others and promises that they would do something similar in their homes. The women all approved of the separation between the genders there, and I could see a calculating look again on the face of Malet.

Kelly and Molly expressed their desire to come and work here and I saw that Master Michen was prepared to accept them, but was sensible enough not to say so immediately. He was positive in his encouragement and promised an answer in a day or two. He turned to Gythy with a question in his face.

“Master Michen, I too would be delighted to earn some coin here, but I have some suggestions to make if I might be so bold. I hasten to say that I am not saying that these MUST be done before I come to work, but I offer them as suggestions.”

“I have learned much from Julina here, so I will never ignore sensible suggestions. I promise to hear them, and will use my judgement as to whether or not to implement them. So perhaps you could give me your ideas and suggestions and we can all discuss them?”

Gyth then proceeded to repeat what she had said before and added some extra details and suggestions for the kitchens and the toilets. Malet also made some suggestions which seemed to be sensible. We were all amazed at Gyth's design ideas, and the speed with which she had formed those ideas. She also incorporated some to help the transitions required for the proposed double use of the main room. It was evident that Master Michen was impressed and also wanted to discuss them in more detail, unhampered by the informality of this occasion. They asked if I could also be present at a future meeting so I suggested we did it after the schoolroom chats scheduled for the sixth bell on the morrow. They both agreed.

Payner chose that moment to return clutching the precious bundle in one hand. We all gathered round and he basked in the attention he was getting — but he was aware enough that he should ask Master Michen for permission to show us the items. Permission was granted and we all oohed and aahed over actually holding a fork! We inspected them minutely, appreciating the work and the weight and the balance and everything else.

We finally departed again after Malet had made it clear that Master Michen and Kassama would be held responsible for the well-being of any of the staff. This adamant statement was accepted entirely by both of them, Kassama having returned as she heard the start of our leavetaking.

Thus it was that we, again as a group, walked a few paces down towards the Claw, our objectives being to see the progress on the building plot.

The short trip was interrupted in a few ways, of course.

We passed the Watch Office and acknowledged the Sheriff as he came up the slope and turned in towards the building's entrance.

The next building was (and still is at the time of writing, at least) the Steward's House, and we were all delighted to see Captain Bleskin emerge with the old Steward, Master Mesulkin, leaning heavily on his arm; none of us had seen Master Mesulkin since he was helped from Trogan's prison when Mylady arrived. This involved another round of introductions which I managed to perform, but with an increasing irritation. Malet rested her hand gently on my forearm and that helped. I knew it was because of the impending call, but that just doesn't help in those circumstances. Again Master Mesulkin had some embarrassingly nice things to say, having learned of events from Captain Bleskin, of course.

Next building; Valley Messenger Service. Again we went through the irritating introductions as we met the Agent, Master Selden talking with Master Wainer in front of the door. Malet by now realised that I was getting unreasonably incensed.

But the lack of progress, and the insistent puppy eyes of Payner, and the continual chat from five different directions were getting on my nerves.

Finally --- FINALLY --- we turned down the passage on the north side of the Claw and headed for the paddock at the back. I was talking about something to Gyth who was just behind my left shoulder when my glance looked forward to the site. I gasped and stopped so abruptly that the others behind me all collided.

What a transformation in less than a day!

The paddock fence was replaced and rebuilt. I had expected that. It was the rest that was amazing. The building plot had been entirely cleared, plowed and flattened. There was even a team of workers being instructed by a fussy-looking little man as they planted things at the west end; some companions, noticeably being instructed at great volume by the same man, were planting some baby trees in clumps in a hand of fenced off areas in the middle of the paddock.

However, to make you understand what else had happened, I need first to describe a bit of the design. The house was to be based upon an open courtyard; the bathhouse, kitchen, store rooms and toilets to form two sides (east and south) of the far end of the plot whilst the north side was to be open, letting the sun in. The store rooms had been positioned in the south-east corner which would be the coolest. The west side of the small courtyard was to be the start of the house, being split into two rooms, a small private sitting room for Father and Swayga, and the dining room, designed to be closest to the kitchen. Deliveries would be made to the courtyard, of course, so a track sturdy enough for a wagon and a place for that wagon to turn round would be required. By keeping the bathhouse and the toilets and the kitchen together, then water could be delivered to just that end rather than requiring a more complicated arrangement.

A few moments looking at the site, it became clear just how it was being worked. There was a team who prepared the ground and the foundation stones, then another team who built the base, and finally a team who erected the walls.

For the wall all along the east end was already up, with a gap where there would be a door to the outside! There was also the start of the two walls at either end of it, obviously to provide a little stability, a diagonal brace running across the angle for extra support (these were obviously temporary as they were at exactly the wrong height to be able to use the room).

The courtyard surface was all done along with the track and the turning place. The base of the house and the floor was down already in the kitchens, bathrooms, store room and toilet areas. Just the base was down under the dining room and the parents' sitting room.

Solid stone pillars were being driven into the ground under what would be the rest of the house and a pile of thick planks, obviously to be the thick base boards, was waiting to be fixed. Next to it was a pile of finished floorboards and next to that was a pile of flat wooden sheets, made of planks overlapping, and some with holes in them. Finally, there was a stack of what I recognised with a shock were corner pieces, already built, two wall elements already joined at the corner.

No wonder the erection was going so quickly.

A word sprang into my mind, a word I associated with Master Bezan for some reason. These were what they called 'modules', if memory served.

As we watched, a group of men came to the pile of wooden sheets and lifted them up one by one, checking each as they did so. They found the one they wanted and they carried it over to the kitchen area. They measured from the end wall, consulted a diagram, measured once again and simply marked the floor. Then they raised the wooden sheet onto its edge, slid it into whatever was the right place and started to attach it to the outside wall. We realised with a shock that this was an internal wall with a doorway already formed in it. It was going to be the wall between the kitchen and the storage rooms. I began to wonder if these wall pieces had been built according to a detailed plan, or whether the plan had been drawn up depending upon available wall pieces!

I must congratulate the workers there. I think that is the first (and only time) that our group uttered not one sound for what must have been almost half a bell. We were all standing there with our mouths open.

Payner was fascinated by the way the foundation pillars of stone were driven into the ground. (A frame had been erected above the stone with a pulley at the top. A great weight was dragged up to the top of the frame by a rope over the pulley and harnessed to a dranakh. The weight was released and fell, guided by the frame, onto the stone which was then driven into the ground. That was a noisy operation, I can tell you.)

The others were fascinated by the ease of building the walls, and by the planting that was going on, and by the demonstrable teamwork shown by the differently-tasked groups. I began to understand now what Papa had said about the building of the new roadhouse, and how, once the basics were completed, the buildings could be erected with speed. And how relatively easily any extensions could be built when the demand arose.

“It is impressive, isn't it?”

I whirled round and with a squeal I just gave Sookie a hug before I remembered the others and once again started the introductions. This time, it wasn't a chore. Suddenly, I could actually see our future home — it was no longer just a plan, it was actually coming alive before my eyes. Her interruption of us released the pent-up need to talk, and suddenly we were all talking at once and exclaiming and marvelling. I saw Payner shake his head in wonder at the female collective ability to conduct a hand of conversations all at the same time.

Just then a hail from behind made us whirl round, and an approaching wagon pushed past us as we scattered out of its way. It was laden with more wooden parts. We watched as it lumbered forward and continued past the courtyard. It was then reversed from there tail first into the courtyard. Two of the foundation stone driving team came across and helped the wagoneers unload the wagon, before returning to their task of positioning the next stone.

By this time, the newness of it all was wearing off, and we were talking more generally, telling Mistress Sukhana about what we had seen during that day, and about Master Michen's Salon and schoolroom, and what we had seen up at the mine … and then I remembered to tell her that my saddle would be delivered tomorrow.

“Oh, that's wondrous news. We can start your riding lessons and …” she broke off as I shook my head.

“I regret Mistress, that I shall be unable to partake of riding for four or five days — I suspect it is inadvisable whilst with the 'call'.”

“Ah! Yes, there are better things to be doing. But you can come down and get … er ... Dralla was it? … used to both you and the saddle. In fact, that might be a good way to start.”

“That sounds good, then I shall come … oh how long should I expect to be occupied for? I have to be at Master Michen's at the sixth bell. So when would we …???”

“Why don't you arrive at the noon bell, or maybe even at the fourth bell? You could have a little meal with me here and I can start to teach you a little of what you will need to know. And we have good facilities here that you will appreciate in your condition.” She looked round at the others. “Will any more of you come too? Just so I know how many of you to cater for.”

There was universal agreement from them all, but Malet put her foot down and said that she and Payner would not be there. When Payner started to argue, she employed the 'mother glare' that stopped his protests very quickly.

And so it was arranged.

Sookie took us all into the stables and showed us the arrangements that had been made there, and to be sure I knew where to find the beasts. She advised me that in future, whenever I was to visit the beasts, which she recommended be every day if possible, I should carry with me cubes of things such as vayter, koonkle and/or malm to feed to them as gifts or as rewards for doing something good.

She showed us as well as told us, and Tixi nuzzled her fondly, looking for the treats. Sookie slipped me two cubes, one for each of the does I had brought down earlier. I was nervous that the animals might eat my fingers, but Sookie's example persuaded me to try — Dralla and Trumpa chomped eagerly and thankfully on my little offerings.

Thus it was that my day's excursions came to an effective end and we all split up to go our own ways back to our homes. I was actually looking forward to a gentle evening and to getting off my feet for a little.

Hah!

No chance of that. I got back home earlier than I had promised. Just in time to have to bandage and comfort little Kord. He and 'Kin had been playing some complicated boy's game — a two-person version of staffglobe. Needless to say, when a hard round object is hit by a sturdy staff, then an accident is waiting to happen. The globe came straight from the staff onto poor little Kord's knee. The cut wasn't too bad, but the pain and the shock got the better of his nerves and there were floods of tears. Swayga was a relative stranger still in those days, so it was to me that our poor injured warrior turned. It took me several moments to calm him down.

Swayga and Kords were busy with the evening meal, and Kissa was enjoying herself bossing the others around to get the table laid. It was quite nice to be so welcomed back but I could have done without the chaos; apart from Kords, they all flocked round me, everyone but Kord talking at top speed and top volume. I looked at Swayga and we eyed to each other that it would calm down after a further hand of moments.

And so it proved.

Kord's sobs died down (I was thankful because he was heavy nowadays) and the others found their attention had switched to something far more important. So at last I could sit in the kitchens and watch as Kords and Swayga rushed around. I offered to help but they both shouted at me that it was not allowed, so I settled back in my corner, well out of the way.

Suddenly, there was a flash outside. We all looked up, so I hadn't imagined it. The view out of the window that side showed a clear evening sky. I went out of the door to the back and looked around. The sun had dropped behind the ridge on the west but the upper peaks to the east were still reflecting its light. I estimated that there should be maybe another bell of light before dusk settled firmly down upon us.

I turned to the south and saw the small local storm brewing up on the flanks of the valley below the dam, and stretching down to the forest. We often got storms there, particularly in the Spring and Autumn. Papa says its something to do with warm and cold airs mixing, but I don't quite understand it. All I knew is that we would have some rattles of thunder and some gusts of high-speed wind that would …

“Oh! Is there any washing hanging out?”

“Oh poo! Yes!”

“I'll go get it.”

I guessed I had time to gather it before the storm spread. I knew that any storm would likely be all over in less than a quarter of a bell, but they can be heavy — the view I had had showed some very dark clouds which were somehow more intense this evening. There was a heavy feeling in the air.

Even though I knew it was coming, I still squealed a little as the next flash of lightning was accompanied by a loud crackling and a BOOM. I spotted the washing hanging up on the line and dashed to get it, stealing another glance at the clouds.

Wow!

I had never seen a storm develop quite so quickly. I looked down the slope and could see figures there scurrying to get to shelter, one suddenly disappeared as the wall of rain engulfed them. This was developing into one of the more vicious ones I had seen.

I checked over towards town and saw many scurrying there as well. I felt sorry for the miners who were camping — I hope their tents were secured properly.

I bundled the washing into the basket Kords had placed just inside the door. I turned once more to go and get the final load. The rain wall had already got more than half way to us. This was going to be tight.

“The animals!” cried Kords as she dashed out after me.

“No need! I've dealt with them.”

She looked at me strangely but trusted my waving hands enough to go back in. I realised that she didn't know about the fact I had already taken them down to the Claw. I checked the rain wall again — Maker! It was galloping up the hill as the clouds above spread out and brought an early dusk to the Town.

Flash! BOOM!

Maker! That one was close.

I gathered the final bundle to my breast and scampered back to the door, slamming it behind me just in time. The drumming of the rain showing just how close it had been.

Then I heard little Kord yell, saying he couldn't close the window. Kords and I didn't hesitate, we just ran and checked them all. There was already a puddle on the floor under the one Kord couldn't manage.

I felt that he was old enough now to start thinking, rather than just react, and I was irritated with him for not working out earlier that the window needed closing. So I told him off, which he looked amazed at — and burst into tears again.

Oh Maker! I felt my temper rising rapidly, but Kords ushered me away as Swayga came in to comfort him. I just went to my bed and burst into tears.

A quarter of a bell later, the storm outside had just disappeared and I felt more in control of my emotions. I wondered fleetingly if there was a connection there somewhere, but I felt quite drained so I didn't dwell on it.

Swayga and Kords served us all our dinner, both a little upset that it wasn't perfect, the last moments of preparation being interrupted by the confusion. Kord told me he hated me as I was so mean, but as that would be around the thousandth time he had said that in his short life, it didn't really affect me. A fine contrast to the welcome I had had so short a time before.

And so the conversations round the table continued. Many voicing concerns and viewpoints about a host of subjects.

“Now I must get a little boring for the moment,” said Swayga. “I need some advice from you Julina. It seems that certain items are low on stocks. Maybe you have a general storage place I don't know about?”

“I don't think so! I don't have any other storage areas than those I have already shown you. What made you ask? Anything in particular?”

“Well, we are low on most vegetables and fruits and some other staples, but I have felt the chill of the mornings and wanted to be sure we had plenty of coal. It seems to me that we need to refill our coal bins out the back quite soon.”

“Oh! That's easy to deal with.”

And so it came to my relating the excellent changes that our new Steward had made with regard to our coal quarry.

It suddenly occurred to me that Swayga wasn't brought up with coal, coal handling and coal storage in particular. We life-long residents were aware of the dangers of a mixture of coal dust and air in an enclosed space, just as millers are aware of the dangers of flour dust in the air in an enclosed space. We all had had drummed into us that the resultant explosions can be very violent and many had lost their lives as a result.

Swayga was very attentive during this and looked thoughtful as I explained that, strangely, an emptyish coal bunker was more dangerous than a full one.

“I'll take the dray tomorrow with Trumpa and refill our home bins.”

“I'll accompany you, to learn how to do it all.”

Swayga's answer heralded a chorus of demands from the others to come along as well. I felt my irritation rising again.

“Where is Trumpa?” asked Kords in an attempt to distract attention by asking where the animals had been taken.

This led on to my describing what I had done with them. And that Mistress Sukhana had said I should have fruit and vegetable cubes always to hand (the younger ones wanted to leave the table there and then to go and cut up stuff!).

Then I mentioned that my saddle was ready and would be delivered to the Claw tomorrow, but that sadly I wouldn't be able to use it yet. I wasn't the only one to be both amused and annoyed at the knowing look that passed between the boys as it was explained why I wouldn't be using the saddle on the morrow.

I seemed to be the only real talker for the rest of the meal as I was bombarded with questions about what I had seen and experienced that day.

Of course, they all wanted to come and see the Salon, and the town's quarry and the Loop Road and the Miners' Village (Kords' name for it) and the new house and the stables, and the younger ones wanted to see all that before they went to bed, so we had another session of tears from Kord when Swayga and I told them that they would have to wait until after the lettering lesson in the morning.

This was another of the less popular statements and my patience again started wearing thin.

I decided I need to calm down and decided to walk down to the Claw to see how far they had got with our new house in that final bell when they could work. I slipped out without telling anyone and went down the slope. Everything was slick after the heavy rain so I was careful of my footing as I went.

Once again, I stopped abruptly as the plot came into sight. The little storm had obviously wreaked havoc. None of the walls were still standing, and the neat piles of wooden objects had been scattered widely around. Several men were tidying the chaos, but their body attitudes showed they were depressed about it too. It was just too much for me right then, and I turned back to trudge up the slope to home, tears coursing down my cheeks.

So far, my so-called freedom hadn't been the best days of my life, and the uncertainties of all the upcoming changes, and the responsibilities that seemed to be heading my way, plus the suddenly much fuller days with meetings at every turn and secrets to keep and guilt about not staying on as the mother-figure — sometimes it seemed to me I was glad to run away from what I had been doing for the past few years, and that increased my guilty feelings. My vision was blurred as I slipped and stumbled my way back to the warmth of home.

Swayga's arms went round me and she whispered that it was just the 'day before' effect, and to not think too deeply. I knew that she was right, but it didn't help. I turned back to my regular routine to get through this, by starting the clearing up of the supper things, just to slip into a non-thinking habit. As soon as it was all done and put away, I avoided any conversations by taking to my bed. I would have been surprised at the speed with which I fell asleep — but I wasn't awake to be able to be surprised.


up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Can't wait for Garia to introduce photography

It will be a way for these folks to record there lives this far back in their history whereas it was in relatively modern times that it started here. Unfortunately with all the cellphone cameras now it has become a bit of a nuisance too in a way so we have gone from one extreme to another.

Julina and her women friends are beginning to assert their intelligence around the men and it is finally the nose of the camel time for them into the town assembly.

Transition

This chapter was an excellent transition from the previous chapter.

It's been a full day for Julina and tomorrow will be even fuller. The town is developing its own personality with your additional day to day activities filling out SEE.

DJ

Another chapter fullof clever

Another chapter fullof clever innovations that seem so ordinary to us but would be earthshakers to them