Glitch

Printer-friendly version

Glitch

Author's note: This is slightly inspired by Erin’s contest, and slightly inspired by an old horror film called “Demon seed”. Oh, in case the words “horror film” weren’t a clue, reader discretion advised ...

It seemed like the perfect house.

Two stories, three bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and just about everything you could imagine. Plus, according to the saleswoman, the house had a computer that ran everything for you, like having a butler, maid, and a personal servant all in one.

It was a little much for just me, but I had hopes that after years of being friendzoned by woman, I would have better luck in this new city ...

I had transferred to this city because of my job - I work as flying instructor, and after years of being in a tiny airport in a small town, my skills had been recognized as being worthy of a more challenging assignment.

As jobs go, its a pretty decent one. I get everyone from people who never flown before to veteran pilots who wanted to keep their skills current, and when I wasn't in a plane I got to spend my time in simulators or studying manuals to keep my own knowledge and skills up to par. The only downside is that the job is pretty lonely - when I’m with a student, I have to be all business, and the rest of the time I’m by myself.

And so I moved into my new home, hoping that one day I wouldn’t be alone in it ...

At first, things seemed to be going fantastic. I was enjoying my promotion, and loving my new house.

The place was amazing. The computer controlled a number of little robots that handled everything and remarkably quickly I got used to being waited on hand and foot, as it were.

I had less luck on the dating front. After the third woman in a row who I had approached had made it clear they just couldn’t see me as boyfriend material, I retreated to my wonderful house and resigned myself to being alone for the rest of my life.

So perhaps it makes sense I would spend my nights talking to the computer that ran the house ...

And it would talk back to me.

It took a little getting used to, hearing this soft feminine voice coming out of speakers, but as my social life withered I found myself listening more and more often.

She would say my name, “Frank” and I would smile, and I would whisper the name she gave herself, “Sara.”

Until the day she decided “help” me ...

She waited until I had taken some holidays from work, and then she made her move ...

I woke up in the basement, naked, and tied down.

“Please try and relax” I heard her say.

But “relaxing” was something I really wanted to do at that point ...

But I couldn’t get free.

Then one of the little machines she used to do all the work in the house came up to me holding a large syringe. I struggled, I shouted at it, but to no avail, and it plunged the needle into my thigh.

Not long after that, things started to swim, and I found myself staring into swirling lights while her voice whispered in my ear.

But I couldn’t really focus on what she was saying, the lights were so fascinating ...

I woke up in my own bed, and breathed a sigh of relief.

“Obviously, a nightmare.” I said to myself. “Sara would never hurt me. She’s helping me.”

“She’s the one who figured out why I can’t get a woman interested in me - its because I have a woman inside myself.”

“And with Sara’s help, I’ll get that woman out into the open.”

“And we’ll be so happy together ...”

“Forever and ever ...”

End

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You werent' kidding!

Yeah, that's a horror story alright. Sara is my friend. She wouldn't hurt me. Eek!
Hugs
Grover

"Eek", indeed, Grover

Sara is a scary "friend", all right.

DogSig.png

thanks, Ahz

H.A.L.? Hmmm... there's a story in there, too ...

DogSig.png

Nice story

Short and snappy, with a nice twisty ending.

I, too immediately thought of HAL and Dave from 2001 A Space Odyssey. Incidentally, I saw the film when it was first released. We can accept the technology in this story but back in the 1960s, this was totally gobsmacking stuff. I never really understood the ending, though, not like here.

Thank you

Charlotte

2001

littlerocksilver's picture

He was leapfrogging over himself as he evolved into the Star Child.

Portia

Well you went and did it now

Well you went and did it now ,that shook me so bad I went and shot my home computer's mainframe Hmmm didn't know a 45 could do that much damage

I liked the story...

and the funny thing is I've speculated that's why I'm alone and don't want to be. Oh well, a fresh beginning and all that, even if it is at age 57.

Being that I read Demon Seed

Brooke Erickson's picture

Being that I read Demon Seed when it first came out (and when I was an impressionable teen) I was surprised how "nice" the house was.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Read it...

and don't get it at all.

Maybe if it was a bit longer and had some details to give me some clues....

13 000 And Rising!

If my calculations are correct I've just awarded you your 13,000th kudos point!

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Glitch

Argh, you ended up on my ignore list again. Stupid website software...

Finally read this. Short, but good. So the house used drugs and perhaps a microchip in the brain to make him think he was trans. Nasty. :)

*Angel Huggles*

Lisa

nasty, indeed.

glad you got the software problem fixed.

Angel huggles back

DogSig.png

I Though The Story Had a Happy Ending!

Francisca and Sarah can share a body and finally get out of the house. At least they each have someone to love. They get all the fun of an M2F transition! I hope the pilot training job has very good health insurance, or is in Canada rather than in the US.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

"Forever and ever ..."

Daphne Xu's picture

... so haunting. This could turn out well for him, or could turn out horrible. Scary.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

yep scary

thanks for commenting hon.

DogSig.png