Jackie, a Tresses and Glamour Salon Story

Printer-friendly version

PixieCutedited.jpg

A sweet story about a boy, his mom and an understanding hair stylist.

I was in the middle of doing a cut and color on one of my favorite customers when I noticed another regular customer and a shaggy-haired boy walk in from the shopping mall, stop briefly at the reception desk, and then sit down in the waiting area. Now having a boy brought into a beauty salon is normally no big deal. Most shops do unisex styling these days. Sometimes the mother just finds it more convenient to bring her son to where she has her hair done rather than taking him to a male-oriented barber shop. But, our shop has always focused our business on women, and we promote our skills at producing female elegance through fashionable makeovers. We are somewhat expensive, but the team here at Tresses and Glamour always works hard to give a customer exactly the look she wants - beauty queen or career professional, sensuous or aloof, sexy or demure.

Given our marketing emphasis, most of the times when a boy enters our beauty salon it is because his mom has dragged him along when she had an appointment. In cases like that I watch the boy fidget impatiently while wishing he was anywhere else but in this extremely feminine environment. But this time it seemed that the boy was actually happy about being here. I took a second to glance at the appointment schedule and to my delight realized that my next appointment showed "Trim - Jack B." It looked like that boy was going to be my next customer. I started to wonder what the backstory was that lead to Ms. Brown bringing her boy here.

I kept an eye on them while I worked. I noticed that the boy had actually picked up one of the hairstyle magazines and they were now looking at it together. I guessed that the boy was about 9 or 10 years old, but his frail build and somewhat delicate features made it hard to tell. His outfit was basically a gender-neutral, running shoes, jeans, and a pullover top, but I couldn't miss that the colors were both well-coordinated and a bit on the flamboyant side.

They were sitting close enough that I could hear their conversation if I paid attention. Jack seemed to be showing a real interest in the magazine, an encouraging sign for sure.

"Mommy, how about something like this one?"

I thing it is an encouraging sign when a boy that old uses the word 'mommy.'

"It's nice, but notice how long the girl's hair is. You need a lot of length to make something like that look good."

"I still like it." A few minutes later the silence was broken as Jack said, "Well, can I get my hair cut like this?"

"If that is what you really want, OK. I am trying to teach you the value of money so this will be your only haircut for a few months. Realize how you will look, especially when that style grows out."

I had guessed right, Jack was here willingly and was not expecting a boy-style cut today. In a few more minutes I had finished the cut and color, exchanged the last gossip with that customer, and was eagerly anticipating getting started on Jack.

"Ms. Brown, I am ready for Jack now."

I watched carefully as Jack got up and headed over to my styling station. There was absolutely no sign of reluctance, but rather a mix of nervousness and anticipation. Looking from the front I couldn't be sure, but I suspected there was even a bit of sway to his walk.

"Are you sure this is what you want?", his mother asked as though it might already be too late.

"Mommy we have been talking about this for weeks."

"Your choice."

"Hi, my name is Jenny. What can I do for you today, Jack?"

"My mom wants me to have my hair trimmed, and I asked her if it would be OK to have it styled instead." Jack hesitated, glanced at his mother then back to me, and then held out the magazine. "Could ... could you do something like this picture?"

"That's a marvelous style, its called a pixie cut. You already have enough hair length for me to cut it into that style, and if you let it grow out a bit you can be even more creative in how you brush it." I decided I better check with his mother before making my next comment. "Shall I go ahead?"

"I told him that it's his choice. Don't blame me if people mistake you for a girl. Give him what he asked for, Jenny. I am going to do some shopping. Just have Jack wait if I am not back before you are done.

As soon as Ms. Brown headed back out into the mall I began chatting. Each of my remarks was intended as an opening for Jack to reveal something about himself. I am extremely supportive of boys who have the courage to explore their feminine side and I wanted to find out how what Jack's personality was really like.

"Pixie cuts are getting really popular again. Summer is coming and girls find short styles like this to be both cute and practical. It will look really pretty if you brush it out so it frames your face." I waited for any reaction then continued. "Your mom was right about this style. With your pretty face people might mistake you for a girl."

"So?"

"Does everyone call you Jack?"

"My best friends call me Jackie. All my really close friends are girls, and a nickname like that seems more natural when we are hanging out together. It makes me feel like one of them."

"Shall I call you Jackie?"

"That's OK with me. I'm not sure if mom likes hearing it."

"Jackie, how does your mother feel about your wanting to come here today?"

"I'm not sure. We argued about it for the last few days. But, she did bring me here." Jackie hesitated. "Do you think I am crazy wanting a girl-style hair cut?"

"Not at all. I think it's wonderful." Now relax and enjoy the experience."

We continued talking as I worked. As I learned more I became more and more certain the Jackie was a child who deserved, and needed, my help.

"You know, Jackie, I have met a lot of boys just like you who were not afraid to be feminine. They are intelligent, are well behaved, get good grades in school, are caring and sensitive, and love art, dance, and music. I think the world would be a better place if more boys were like that."

"Really?"

"There are boys who are really brave, dress as girls, and wear makeup in public." I was carefully watching Jackie's reactions. If he had shown any resistance I would have backed off, but he was just soaking it in. It was time to ask the big question. "Jackie, do you ever wish you could become girl?"

After a long pause Jackie answered softly, "I'm scared."

"What are you afraid of?"

"I don't think my mommy would let me ... do that."

I immediately shifted into my most reassuring hair stylist-confidant mode. I slowed down my work to give Jackie time to talk. His story was one I could relate to, a boy who felt like a girl but was afraid to come out for fear of family rejection. He reminded me of what I was like in grade school. Thinking about my growing up instantly reminded me of endless arguments with my father, shouting, occasional beatings, and trips to well-meaning, but misguided, therapists. This child deserved better.

"Jackie, I think that if you act like a brave girl and make a clear statement you mother will accept it. Mother's love is unconditional. Now take a close look at the magazine picture you showed me earlier. What details do you see?" Jackie held the magazine and made a few non-committal comments. "Do you notice that the girl is wearing earrings and a bit of makeup? Ear studs like that make a pixie cut look really feminine." Jackie was clearly nervous but seemed willing to continue. "Jackie, how about showing your mom how you feel inside by letting me pierce your ears?"

"Mommy would be upset if I spent money on that without asking. She ... she always tells me about the value of thrift and ..."

"Jackie, I noticed that you gave a caring and well-behaved answer, but did not say 'no.' This will be my treat." I pulled a starter set of delicate pearl studs from the drawer. "These would look really pretty when you wear them. You know, lots of girls get their ears pierced first and get their mother's permission later."

"What if mommy objects?"

"I will apologize. I have known your mother for years and I really don't think she will accuse me of unprofessional conduct. I'll take the risk if you will."

Jackie took a deep breath. "Yes, please."

I worked swiftly to have it done before Ms. Brown returned. I wiped everything with alcohol, marked both sides, and applied the piercing gun. I handed Jackie a mirror and he smiled as he turned to admire both sides.

Just then I heard the receptionist great Ms. Brown as she returned. I stepped aside so she had an unobstructed view of my handiwork. A look that mixed surprise and shock came over her face. Jackie seemed about to cry and I stood behind him with my hand on his shoulder for emotional support. The next few seconds seemed like an eternity.

Ms. Brown opened a shopping bag and took a small box. "While you were getting your hair styled I decided to get you a gift to complete the look." She opened the box to reveal a pair of pearl studs identical to the ones Jackie was wearing. Suddenly we were all laughing and crying.

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We need

more happy stories like this.

Thank you for sharing.

I couldn't agree more......

Everything I've ever written myself has been created with that in mind. The world is full of gruesomeness..... you must be like me (and Jackie's creator). Ginger x

what a good hairdresser

just the thing a girl like Jackie needs ...

DogSig.png

when I was young.....

very much younger!....... I was lucky enough to find a good one.... I just wish she'd engaged me in conversation more, like Jackie's has done. What encouragement! Lucky girl! xx

O. Jackie

Nicely done. A world of support. He very much looks like my niece.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

this has the makings.....

... of a story that will run and RUN... I do hope so - perfect in detail and no excessively fantasy-based. What could possibly happen next?? I do hope we find out. Love Ginger x

Tresses and Glamour...

What a nice place to walk into. I hope Jackie's story doesn't end here. It is a good begining but not complete.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Awww! :)

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

*big smile*
Lucky girl!

planning!

Diesel Driver's picture

It's great when a plan comes together like that... LOL Lucky girl.

Chris

Another wonderful and really

Another wonderful and really sweet story that's somehow excluded from author's page.