Julina of Blackstone - 017 - Settling Things Into Place

Printer-friendly version

Things begin to settle in more comfortably

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

17 - Settling Things Into Place


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
17 – Settling Things Into Place

And so another night passed, followed by another early morning wake-up. Once again it was extremely pleasant to have help to unbank and rekindle the fires, and to have a group of us together heating the water for the bath. Somehow, this made the following group bath such a better experience.

We were all beginning to enjoy this way of starting the day very much, none more so than Haka.

The following breakfast was no exception, there we also had fun; we older ones had all teamed together so it was prepared so much quicker. Haka particularly seemed to blossom in the close family environment (wow – the first time I can use that long word properly – I pat myself on the back!) and she took much delight in joining in with our activities. She was actually of great help in rousing the boys, who seemed to feel it necessary to be on their best behaviour with her; which was, in a way, most annoying.

Kissa and Julu were fascinated with all things Haris. They almost came to blows when there was something they could do to help Haka. Breast-feeding was particularly fascinating to watch for them (and I think for Kords) and I could swear I was able to see some improvement in the young lad, no doubt the result of better milk from his mother, now that she was eating more properly. Unfortunately, this rivalry came too often close to hindrance rather than help, and Swayga and I had to calm the two younger girls down on more than one occasion.

As was now the norm, this breakfast was followed by another lettering lesson; this morning's one was wonderful to watch as the kids all chipped in and helped Suril and Haka to make a start. Sometimes the clamour as they all tried to explain the same thing at the same time needed to be quenched, but on the whole the two adult pupils were very receptive and dealt with it all with a high good humour, making the lesson fun for everyone involved.

I noticed in passing that my previous observations were borne out when I saw that Haka could manipulate her writing implement easier than Suril, but Suril could remember facts and lists easier than Haka.

Neither Haka nor Suril were absolute beginners, being able to recognise certain symbols and words but only as things, not actually as individual letters. For example, they recognised the group of letters that made up the words 'bushel' and 'basket', for these words occurred regularly in the documented transactions they had had as pakh-farmers. But they were unable to identify the individual letters until we showed them how to break words down. Haka and Suril certainly had never tried to reproduce the letters they saw themselves. So this was a valuable exercise for them; and for me when considering the approach to be made when teaching adults.

They were so much better at recognising the number symbols, mind you – the old ones, that is. The new Garian numbers were completely foreign to them. I could nowadays write the new symbols but needed help to use them; I had heard that they were so much simpler to use that they provided immense benefits, particularly in time. I idly wondered who would be able to show me.

In our chats about the upcoming lessons, Epp and I had decided that it would be better to split the adults from the children, as there would be too much distraction – in either direction! And this combined lesson bore that out. Mind you, I was aware that this diversity in abilities in a lesson group would hardly likely be repeated – this was just a special circumstance.

I needed information from Haka and Suril in order to understand the adult mentality when it came to learning, and applying existing knowledge. As a result of this, I explained to them that I needed their help in designing my lessons. This made them puff up with pride, and give freely of themselves when answering my questions. I therefore questioned them very carefully indeed.

“Tell me what thoughts went through your head at each stage of this process. Were you nervous? If so, why? What helped disperse the fear? What moment was valuable as something clicked? What do you think I should do for others in your situation? Please help me, and thus help future students.”

These precious details have no need of explanation here, but they were certainly very valuable to me when it came to designing my lesson plans. As it happens, I'm sure that every one of my subsequent students should actually thank my siblings, along with Suril and Haka, for their unmentioned and unnoticed suggestions. I always make a point of telling all my students this, without specifying the points that had been made.

After the lesson that day, a lesson which could have gone on even longer, Haka started to get out her implements again and Suril went to meet Masters Bezan and Fedren along with the foreman of the builders to position and design their new home. It was to be built just behind the Watchhouse. He was to have his first day at work starting at the fifth bell when he was to meet the Sheriff in the Watchhouse, Master Fedren having explained that it was always quiet at that time.

I sat back and started to plan my day, which was remarkably quiet compared to recent ones. I remembered that I had a meeting with Mistress Hasinet and …

“Oh Maker! Haka, Haka – quick. I need to talk to you.”

“What is it, 'Lina?”

“Can you leave Haris with everyone here for a bell or two, or can you get him ready to go outside really quickly? I need you to come with me this morning. It's very important. Something has just occurred to me. You can be of great help. And I might have a surprise for you – a really nice one. Please trust me on this. But I have to go to an appointment for the third bell and we must therefore leave in a quarter of a bell, at the very latest. Can you do it?”

Swayga had come across with Haka when I called so urgently and it was she who promised to look after Haris, thus allowing the two of us to leave shortly afterwards, much to Kissa's anger. She and Julu, and I think Kords, had wanted more sewing lessons. I could see the love Haka had for Haris shining out of her but she tore her heart and her head apart, and accepted Swayga's offer. It was quite humbling, the trust she thus demonstrated in me to do this.

Together, we walked downslope and I enjoyed it as she tried hard to find out what was happening, while I resisted telling her anything, since I was feeling mischievous. She started laughing when she realised that she wouldn't get anything out of me and conceded 'defeat' by changing the subject. I pointed out to her how annoyed the kids were that I had 'stolen' her this morning and she promised to make up for it in the afternoon.

I asked her where Suril had found the different cloths yesterday and she explained that it was all left over from when her mother had died a few years ago and Mistress Jorine had promised to store it for her until such time as it was required. Mistress Jorine had been a colleague of her mother's and had a good store for cloth, where it would not rot so quickly. When our family had shown so much help and compassion, she felt that she must get the cloth out of storage and help repay some of her thanks by using her skills. So our curtains and cushions had been repaired and she had done the dresses.

But, she said as she went further in her explanation, she was astounded to find out how much she enjoyed giving lessons to the kids. She explained feelingly that she felt really useful for the first time since a long, long, long time ago.

I couldn't imagine living a life in which I didn't feel useful, and my heart went out to her. She struggled with tears as she sensed my feelings. There was obviously a lot in her earlier life that she had not told us, and I could feel a deep sadness in her. This was another occasion I held back from prying, another point to be added to a lengthening list. Neither I nor the others at home would press her to talk about these points, since we thought we knew her well enough that she would tell us if she felt like it, at a time when she felt it right to do so.

It was not long before the two of us arrived at Mistress Hasinet's and there met a large group of women waiting in line outside the house. At first, they were a little hostile when we tried to push through but in a short while, they allowed us to 'jump the line' when I explained that we were working with Mistress Hasinet and that the line couldn't get moving until we were inside. There were some grumbles about young girls and no respect to elders and so on, but most accepted my explanation with no further hindrance. Haka and I shouldered our way through the throng and just opened the door without knocking or ringing – I having reckoned that the Mistress wouldn't open the door to anyone else who rang or knocked, probably having answered it so many times already.

And so it transpired. She nodded approvingly when I loudly announced our arrival after closing the door behind me. Mistress Hasinet came out of her workroom to confirm who was there. She was taken aback slightly when she saw two of us.

Mistress H grunted a welcome and mentioned that she was glad I was on time. Then she significantly looked a query at Haka. I expected Haka to introduce herself, but she was in no hurry so to do.

On the way down the slope, I had noticed a tensing of Haka's muscles when I mentioned Mistress Hasinet's name but shrugged it off as something imagined. But the following happenings told me I had NOT imagined it.

There was a short silence until I realised that I would have to make the formal introductions and so I brought the two together, making a bit of a show of it by introducing the one to the other with what I imagined to be old-fashioned flourishes, all in an attempt to lighten the mood.

I started with introducing Haka and immediately noticed a small but definite heartbeat of something strange on both sides. It was no better when the introduction was made in the other direction.

I fell silent, my light-hearted antics just withering in the wind.

There was a silence for several heartbeats, maybe even as much as a quarter of a moment, before Mistress H almost barked: “Haka! Are you Liamet's girl?”

“Yes, Mistress. My mother was indeed named Liamet.”

Haka didn't look at all defensive, seeming to stand a little straighter. In fact, she was almost aggressive in her stance, but carefully not so in her tone.

I was very taken aback by this development. What on Anmar was happening here?

“You're the ingrate that ran off with a no-hope pakh farmer of all people! You left her alone. Just like her so-called husband had done after you were born. You even let her die alone!”

I was truly and fundamentally shocked. This just didn't sound like the Haka I had come to know. It didn't tie in with the maternal instincts I had seen her display. And it didn't tie in at all with my instincts about her.

Her answer, however, was spoken clearly and carefully not aggressively, which made it all the more shocking to me when I heard it.

“Indeed, Mistress.”

She fell silent again. But … but … but … - something here did not add up, there was more to be said I somehow knew.

Mistress Hasinet's eyebrows rose, but, as I mentioned, there had been something in the tone that suggested there was more to come. She kept her peace, allowing Haka to continue.

I was suddenly made acutely aware that I was privileged now to hear some of the history about which I had been pondering. My inquisitiveness was delighted.

My heart had dropped, however. Had I made an enormous mistake – do the two hate each other?

Haka swallowed and took a breath. Was that a hint of a tear in her eye I could see?

With a calm tone, however, she continued: “I had to get away from my mother, she was controlling anything and everything about me, not allowing me out until I had done her work for her, which meant I met no-one and had no life. I was a virtual prisoner in her home. She sewed very little herself once I could do it. She wouldn't tell anyone, but her sight was failing, and all the stuff she did, she didn't.

“I did it.

“But she was the one who got paid for it, and her reputation for good work was in fact mine. Her slave in the background, unacknowledged, unappreciated and unpraised.”

The bitterness in her voice during that last sentence was to me the most compelling reason to believe her story, but her passion, her body positioning and the fire in her eyes, all were highly convincing as well. I could see Mistress H accept that maybe there was another side to the story she thought she knew so well. She bit her tongue as Haka carried on.

“I don't regret leaving for one moment,” she stated almost defiantly. “For long periods, I never saw the sun. She beat me with a stick to make me work harder, and she went out to collect more work, leaving me at home with a huge pile already. I would not be fed until it was finished, and I was frequently sent to bed hungry. She blamed me for the departure of her man, my father. How I could be to blame, I have no idea, he disappeared when I was less than one year of age. I don't know, nor am I in the remotest interested to learn what stories she told her cronies,” at this point she stared very hard at Mistress Hasinet, “but I doubt there was much truth behind them.”

She was openly crying now, making no attempt to wipe the tears from her cheeks.

“Look here! She once beat me so hard with her stick, that she broke my leg. But I still had to work while she just tied two more sticks either side of the break and said that would have to do. I couldn't find any more tears to cry for those two or three months, and it was a year before I could walk again without limping.”

She lifted her dress hem and showed Mistress Hasinet the scarred and misshapen calf and ankle area on her right leg. I had seen it before of course in the bathhouse, but she hadn't wanted to talk about it then, so Swayga, Kords and I had let it pass, preferring to allow her to make the first move.

Mistress Hasinet eyes widened and we could see her take in this information and compare it with what she thought she already knew. We could see that she was not rejecting these new facts, but her initial hostility was not completely won over: “Well what do you want here?”

“I know not, Mistress. Julina here told me it was urgent I came with her.”

They both turned sharply and directed the focus at me as they looked at me queryingly.

“Mistress Hasinet, I met Mistress Haka coincidentally the other evening. You said that you required an assistant to help you, and I had discovered how talented she is at sewing, how swift and sure she is at it. I have seen her love for her little son, it shines as brightly as a bonfire. My family have been of some assistance to her and her husband and I have seen her determination to thank my family for helping her family. She has done all those little sewing jobs round the house that I could never muster the enthusiasm for, and on top of that has made some extra clothing for some of us, at no charge I would add – she believes it to be her way of repaying a debt. This does not sound like the heartless and callous girl you first described. This sounds to me like a responsible, honest woman, with a strong sense of integrity. She has, I am certain, a heart, and your earlier description of her character just leaves me convinced that you are talking about someone I have never met. Or the information you have been given about her is plain wrong.

“I had very little idea of her history, and much of what she has just said comes as a shock to me. This morning, as is my usual habit, I was simply sitting there at home, planning my day and thinking over the tasks I have to perform. I started, of course, with my appointment here. As I was contemplating it, it just occurred to me that various factors had come together here. She requires a little coin. You require some help. I realised there and then that the two would go together fittingly – tailor-made if I might be allowed a little joke at such a serious heartbeat.”

They both looked a little stunned by my explanation and the plan I had put together.

Finally, after what seemed an age, I could see Mistress H relent, and I released the breath I hadn't realised until then I was holding.

“Liamet's girl, eh? Well I know your training will have been good, at least. Alright, I'll take you on trial. Most of us in town have learnt to trust Julina and her instincts. You can start by helping Julina measure that great herd of women who have turned up. When the two of you have done the half of them, let Julina do the last half and then you, Haka, come to me; I will teach you about these bras. If you are any good, then I will take you on until the entire bra order book is completed. Any problems with that?”

“Yes, Mistress.”

Both Mistress Hasinet and I gasped in shock as Haka again paused. And also again, Mistress Hasinet's eyebrows rose in surprise.

Haka rushed on: “I have a little son, as Julina here mentioned a while ago. I would needs bring him with me to work, or I would take the work home with me and do it there – we could agree on an amount to be done by a certain time, for example, or maybe some other arrangement that we could agree upon – I am most flexible. But the coin would be more than welcome, as we have very little at the moment. Our house is about to be demolished for the new Loop Road and we need all the help we can get. I have a baby minder at the moment, but would have to return at the noon bell today to relieve her.”

“Very well. Let's see how the morning goes. Now you two need to reduce that line that's waiting.”

And so we worked our way through all those women; well, more accurately, we did the first half together and I did the last half alone. We soon discovered the most efficient way was to take a hand of women at a time into the room, get them to strip to the waist, helping each other in and out of their bodices, and then we would throw the measuring bands around their bodies one after the other. When we had finished that, we went back to each individual and measured the roundness of each breast. I would write it all down and then that woman was 'finished'. It took longer for the women to get undressed and redressed than it took us to measure the hand of them.

Mistress Hasinet was astounded that I got the job done so swiftly and thanked me profusely. I told her that it was no problem, that we had had a deal and therefore I was happy to do my side of the bargain. I had now measured a good fifty women, and it felt like more than half the female population of the town!

She handed me what she named a 'Call bra' which she had made to my measurements and told me to try it and see what I thought. The two of them helped as I stripped off my bodice and, clumsily at first, tied the new garment in place. They both watched intently.

Oh Maker! How nice it was to leave off that bodice and still have something to hold my chest in control. I understood at last what this was all about. Haka was astounded and Mistress Hasinet smiled a little smugly. I remembered that she already wore one. That was why she was so smug!

My latest idea had also worked, since Haka was all but now employed by Mistress Hasinet, despite the slightly frosty start. I was confident her skills would be enough to gain her a more permanent position, personal feelings were another matter. When I left them that first morning, I had severe and grave doubts about whether this had been a good thing for me to have done – the introducing them to each other, I mean. My inner turmoil was churning and churning around in my stomach, which did not weigh very well with all the other sensations as a result of my Call.

However, I had also another scheme that my brain had devised while I had been working that morning, and I needed to put that into motion as soon as I could. I went over and over it again and again, but could only see one major possible problem with it, and another one less so.

This meant that my next visit was to Michet, where I asked her and Kassama for a smallish favour, which would bring them in some coin, or perhaps more accurately, save them some coin. It would also aid the preparations for both the schoolroom and the salon, and also provide some domestic help. They agreed with very little hesitation, and I promised to return later that evening, just before dusk.

They had assured me that Master Morden, my major possible problem, would be happy to go along with my plan. My less major problem had been the appearances of Michet when in her own home, but M assured me it would be fine for the relatively short period of time. None of us could see any further problems and so it was agreed.

I was practically skipping with delight as I departed the house that was rapidly becoming my second home, it seemed. I wondered if I might get fed up with it after spending my working hours there.

I reached home just after the noon bell, arriving from the campingplace just as Haka arrived from downslope. Suril had apparently got there some moments before, for we heard his voice laughing with someone inside.

She took me to one side just before we went in and told me not to tell Suril about the possible work, so I agreed – she reported that Mistress Hasinet had been very pleased with her work that morning and that she had invited her back for a full day on the morrow. If that worked out, then she would have a good contract; failing that, she would get a fair payment for what she had done so far. She had already been given one bra (it was her training piece of work – to construct one to her own measurements) and declared herself delighted with it. She also had the knowledge now to make herself some more. She couldn't necessarily make them for others as she didn't have the full pattern set.

(In the end, Haka and Mistress H became friends and colleagues, rather than boss and employee. Mistress Hasinet in fact fell in love with the little Haris, and later, with the second child, Harkin, and their working together was a mostly joyful affair, helped considerably I think because Mistress Hasinet's two children had left Blackstone and she never got to cuddle her grandchildren.)

We all of us lunched well and gave the necessary thanks to both Swayga and Kords.

After that we went and napped – the first nap I had had in what seemed forever - while Suril went off to work, all worried that he might be dressed inappropriately and things like that.

After the nap, Haka got out all the equipment we had at home and spent another two bells giving the children sewing lessons. They made a tunic each for 'Kin and Kord, in that time AND cut out the panels for a dress for Kords. But time was running out by now, with maybe half a bell to go before the Dusk Bell.

Swayga and I had for some time now been busy in the kitchen as we made the dinner. Suddenly, we heard a small commotion in the other room. Haka had apparently stated, after they had put everything away, that Suril and she wanted to express their determination not to be a burden upon us any longer and that they would return to their hut right then.

It was obvious that they didn't really want to return there, and it was obvious my siblings would have liked them to stay longer; but we all knew that it was slightly inconvenient, and it was embarrassing for our guests, so it was indeed best they went.

It was then that I sprung my surprise on her.

I explained that we loved their company but they needed to start being more independent. Their hut was obviously unsuitable for living, so I had therefore arranged for them to overnight at Master Michen's house, where a pair of rooms had been made available for them. Haka's mouth dropped open.

There would be a small cost, but not one that would be too damaging to them. They were to clean the kitchens and do much of the domestic work required for the preparation of that house, to bring it into a state for its new functions to come. They would do the repairs and keep the household running in return for their food and accommodation, until such time as their house was built, or the salon started its business – the chances of a baby crying were too much for the stated purposes of the salon to be successful, and so they would have to move out at that point. Whilst living there, the kitchens and bath-house would be at their disposal and they would be responsible for ensuring enough hot water for the household. Haka was astounded at such a good deal, and promised not to let me down.

It was a tearful departure, particularly from the younger ones, despite everyone knowing that they would be back in a bell to eat with us – yes, I HAD extracted a promise from her that they would once again eat with us that evening.

I led her and Haris down to Michet's, er... Master Michen's, I mean.

I knocked and entered, as had become habit for me now, and there stood all three of the inhabitants, waiting to see what this woman I wanted to introduce into their household was like.

It was down to me, of course, to make the introductions, which were accomplished quite swiftly. Haris was asleep, and Haka quietly acknowledged the others. It was to no avail, however, as little Haris woke with a small whimper and then cuddled into his mother with a wide yawn followed by a wide smile.

Kassama, Master Michen and even Master Morden fell in love with Haris immediately and Kassama indicated her acceptance to me with her eyes.

I was relieved. I had a much lighter step, now that I knew they would be accepted. I had foreseen that Master Morden might prove to be a problem, perhaps not wanting a young child in the house, but he seemed to be delighted with the idea.

Haka was nearly crying with gratitude once she had been shown the two rooms allocated to them upstairs, and the internal bathroom and kitchen downstairs. She said just one of the rooms upstairs was nearly as big as their hut.

She declared she needed to just arrange a few things here, make the beds that were provided and that sort of thing, and would then return to our house to eat. She was delighted to be able to surprise Suril once again and looked forward to seeing the expression on his face when she led him here after dinner. She giggled with glee as she described his face when they would leave from our home, with him thinking they were returning to their hut.

Master Michen offered to take Dralla and a dray to her old hut, with her of course, in the morning to fetch anything she wanted to retain. I would have to cancel the lettering lesson tomorrow since I would have to accompany M on her first visit to Dralla's stable stall, and this all needed to be done before Haka went off to work. Mistress H and Haka had agreed that she be there from the second Bell and would work until the Noon Bell without Haris. Mistress H had suggested that she bring the child for working in the early afternoon, to see if they could all get on.

While she was at work, M and I could load up the things she said she wanted to keep and bring them to M's home, leaving them in her room for her to sort later. I could look after Haris and/or take him to Swayga. So my morning was now booked. Well, there was a surprise!

I left her there talking with Kassama as they re-arranged furniture and discussed such things as drying cloths, and so on. I went gaily out of the front door onto the street.

And literally bumped straight into Suril. He was knocked off balance and toppled towards the road just as a wagon laboured upwards towards the campingplace. There were shouts and calls, and a loud dranakh bleat – Master Fedren reached out a giant hand and plucked Suril back to safety, averting a disaster only very narrowly.

Of course, I apologised at the same time as did Suril, which noisy events added to the chaos. The passing wagoneer swore at Suril for being drunk and his passenger looked on in amazement at the chaos. This was the evening shuttle arriving, heavily laden with boxes and packages and all sorts. Suril and I burst out into relieved laughter as we both thanked the Sheriff, again at the same time. Once all the kerfuffle had died down, we were able to have a more normal conversation.

“I was just saying to the Sheriff that I needed to send an urchin across to you. I regret the trouble, but I will be unable to dine with you tonight. I shall grab a small bite in the Bell when my duties permit. We must also remove to our hut for this night, both Haka and I would feel uncomfortable invading your home for a further sleep. Much as we like it there, it is not right that we kick you out of your own bed.”

I had to think fast, trying to balance all the factors and I just couldn't see a way out. I would have to spoil Haka's surprise.

“Um, Sheriff?”

“Mistress?”

“I am fully aware that Master Suril is on duty at the moment, but may I borrow him for a hand of moments, certainly not more? There is something he needs to know and I feel it will relieve some of his problems. Actually, thinking about it a little deeper, you yourself are indirectly involved, so maybe I can borrow you both, just for that very short while?”

They looked at each other and shrugged. The Sheriff said: “Well, she has a reputation for both truth and for unexpected events, so I suppose I must trust her - again.”

“And I trust her implicitly and without doubt. She has been our saviour from poverty. So lead on, Mistress Julina.”

“Then, Masters, please come in here. But be quiet, maybe Master Morden is napping.”

I felt a little guilty saying that since I knew that Master Morden was in fact awake, but I wanted them to tread a little warily, hoping somehow to get a message to Haka, to prevent her being surprised. I opened the door and ushered the men in, closing it firmly, but not too noisily, behind me.

As I suspected, Kassama heard the door and came immediately downstairs. Master Morden and Master Michen had previously told me they needed to go out the back to see about widening the alley at the side, to allow for delivery wagons, so I was aware that Kassama was effectively alone with Haka. Her eyes widened as she saw me usher two men in. She knew the Sheriff of course but not the other. I was behind the men, so I mouthed 'Suril' at her and she showed her surprise. I jerked my eyes upstairs and she caught on immediately. She nodded to me to let me know she had received my message and covered it by saying: “Ah, Mistress Julina. Back so soon. Please show the gentlemen up.” She turned on her heel and scurried back to Haka to let her know.

I took a little longer than necessary to manoeuvre myself past the men in the hallway, before preceding them up the stairs – I gained a few more heartbeats that way. Of course, I turned and spoke with them a couple of times, bringing our progress to a halt whilst doing so – more heartbeats gained.

Once we reached the top of the stairs, I paused for a little while as though I was getting my bearings. Delaying as long as I felt I could, I snapped my fingers as though I had just remembered where to go and then led them straight, but slowly, to the first of the joined back rooms from which I could hear faint sounds of giggles. I immediately understood that Haka and Haris had retreated into the further room so she could still spring a surprise on her man, despite it not being how she had originally planned it all.

I paused before the door and deliberately spoke loud enough to be heard from within.

“Masters, I need to show you this room. Please bear with me for a moment, and everything will become clear very shortly. I wish to …”

I opened the door and ushered them in, keeping talking to them so they turned their backs to the room and concentrated on me in the doorway. This was enough to enable a grinning Haka, carrying Haris, to glide silently out behind them.

“Now Masters, I think you saw this room reasonably well when you came in. Would you care to turn and inspect it a little closer now?”

The surprise worked well and they both gaped with open mouths at seeing Haka and Haris standing there. Of course, the 'secret' was then revealed in all its details and Suril was struck speechless.

“Well made, Mistress Julina. An excellent solution.”

“Thank you, Sheriff. It all seemed to come together. Suril will be far closer to his work, and easier for you or someone to fetch him, while Haka has some comfort for a while until their house is finished. Kassama will have some company, and the kitchens and salon and bathrooms will be cleaned and repairs actioned. It seems to me like everyone wins something with this arrangement.”

“Again, you have produced a solution, or, rather, solutions, from nothing. Well done indeed!”

We agreed on the timings for the morning, Suril not being required to work then as the Sheriff realised that Suril would need time to sort out his old hut, and therefore gave him the time off, accompanied by heartfelt thanks from Suril.

The two men turned and left to go and do whatever their Sheriffing required and Haka decided to accompany me back to have the supper she had been promised. We had an animated conversation as we worked our way upslope to home.

The conversation over the dinner table was just as lively as we rehashed the fun of the surprise played on Suril. There were explanations as to where he was, and what they would be doing at Master Michen's and so on, so we did not lacked for topics to talk about.

We also covered Haka's new work, but we glossed over the frosty start. The younger ones were pleased for Haka, but upset for themselves, as their sewing lessons wouldn't be quite so easy to arrange. I was proud of them actually, that they weren't all selfish, and didn't whine and moan at their disappointment. I think Swayga and Haka also recognised those facts, but kept their peace. Kissa's face took on a calculating look, and we all knew she was scheming something. We older ones all hid our grins though, Kords a little less successfully than the rest of us.

After all the supper things were cleared away and the boys put to bed, we all had a chance to look at today's activities on the home front. Kissa was bubbling with suppressed enthusiasm so we knew she had something to show us. Sure enough, we admired Kissa's work when she showed us that she had been practising by sewing some parts of Kords' new dress together.

Haka struck EXACTLY the right balance of praise and criticism once she had inspected the work. Haka then picked the less good stitching apart, before swiftly redoing it. She showed Kissa what she had done and explained why it was better, in such a way that the child was enthused to do it again rather than be angry about being criticised.

Haka then handed the dress over to Kissa for her to complete and settled back, as the youngster grabbed the work and the thread and needle. With her tongue sticking out the side of her mouth as she concentrated, she studiously showed she was bent on doing the best job she could. Haka praised her every stitch of the way, and even I could see that she relaxed into it and started doing it proficiently.

When it was done, Kords grabbed her up and hugged her practically to death, thanking her profusely. We all could see Kissa both glow and grow with the praise. I was certain that in fact we were witnessing the very beginning of an expert in her field.

And so a very enjoyable evening wound down to its inevitable close. The kids were put to bed, Swayga went to do the closing down chores since I decided to accompany Haka and Haris back to their new rooms to settle them in with as little fuss as possible, I being the link if you like between their old and their new lives.

Once at their new home, I spent a half bell with them as Haka made ready for bed; Haris nestled into my arms as he slept while Haka was busy down in the bathroom.

I felt a warm glow inside as I had this precious little bundle cuddled against my chest. Although I usually groaned at the necessity of my Calls, it was little moments like these that made me prepared to put up with the discomforts and indignities. I was still glad that it would all be over again after the morrow, but the knowledge that some day it could be my own little one in my arms like this made me very weepy and not a little broody.

I decided to go home by going up to the campingplace and across from there. I had been intrigued by that wagon that had nearly hit Suril. There was something I had noticed that was tickling a nerve in the back of my brain. I just wanted to see if there was anything that would help me put that itch to rest.

… … ...

“How much?”

“I beg your pardon, Master?”

“How much do you charge?”

The blood drained from my face as I realised that maybe I should not be walking around unaccompanied at this time of night. For the first time ever it was brought home to me that this was no longer really the town in which I had grown up, with many strangers now camped about the place.

I looked around me and saw I was surrounded by six or seven very strong men all looking at me with lust in their eyes. They were also all slightly drunk, I could tell.

“Excuse me, please. I am merely on my way home after babysitting for a friend. Please let me through.”

“Oh no you don't, missy! No-one innocent would wander alone through a miners' camp at the fifth bell. There's no need to play hard to get. We can all have our fun. I'll go first, then you can …”

“No way you'll be first. I saw her coming first, so I get first go.”

“Yeah but I let her through when I could have just kept her to myself. So I get first go.”

“You always try to muscle in after everyone else does the groundwork, you miserable pakh-packer. This time, it's MY turn to be first.”

“Why you low-down lying little …”

A fist was thrown and before I could blink, there was a fight going on. I gathered up my skirts and run through a gap, hoping to get away. Unfortunately, this direction took me no nearer my path and just deeper into the tents – the occupants of which were starting to emerge as the sounds of the brawl swelled. I confess that I started to get very worried, as I cut back towards the Cistern in the hope of making it to Kelly's. A man's hand reached for me but I was able, just, to avoid it and kept going. Another hand, another swerve and I was suddenly out into the more open area and I had more room to swerve about in. I headed directly for my refuge and began to slow down as it became less crowded, ready at any instant to start sprinting again. My eyes were darting in all directions as my heart was pounding. Mind you, I had just discovered a new advantage of a bra. Had I been wearing a bodice, my breathing would have been reduced and the discomfort probably painful.

I didn't make it to Kelly's though.

For the second time today, I literally bumped into Suril. Both he and the Sheriff were heading towards the brawl when I stumbled into them.

Although panting heavily, I managed to gasp out what had happened and they thanked me for the information. They placed me with the people they had just been chatting with – the Blackstone Vale family, Brethen and Rathina and their children – before going to calm the fighting men down, or at least trying to. Looking at it with eyes no longer clouded by terror, I could see that it wasn't a very large incident, just maybe a dozen men trading blows, most of which appeared quite ineffectual. All the other men were just surrounding the brawlers and jeering or cheering them on.

Rathina held me as the reaction set in and I started shaking. By and by, I calmed down enough to talk, and I was able to explain all the events that had led up to it. She promised me that Brethen would walk me back home while she stayed here with their children.

They had all come into town again to 'fetch' the menfolk that they had left behind a few days ago. Although there was little to do up in their Vale at this time of year, they still wanted to be all together to get certain tasks done. They would be returning 'Upvale' in the morning. Maybe some of the men would return here next week, if the coin was worth it. Rathina didn't know how much they were being paid. The family realised that they couldn't just ignore the town and would have to work with us. They also realised that their children needed to interact with others, it would be unfair to shut them away from contact with 'outsiders'. While they were here, they also wanted to find out if the schooling had advanced far enough to give them some concrete information with which to make plans. Despite the relatively short while since they were last here, they were astounded at the increase in the number of bodies. I explained that there were construction crews in town as well as extra miners and wagoneers.

When Rathina asked if we could get together in the morning, I told her that I was quite busy first thing, but would come over to see them, if they were still here, between the third and fourth bells.

We had a giggle about the fact that I was supposed to be enjoying my freedom, but that from now on, I would always have to have someone with me.

Finally, after talking with the ones who were still awake for maybe a quarter of a bell, Brethen escorted me home and I managed to get to sleep in my own bed for the first time for a while.


up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sewing and Brawling

What a chapter! Sewing and brawling keeps interest high.

DJ

Women still have a ways to go

It reflects how primitive a society in terms of treatment of women the way Lina was treated at the miners' camp.

Where does that sense of entitlement men feel that they can treat women like objects/chattel? This occurs way too frequently in way too many societies around the globe to merely be a 'society' thing so it must be intrinsic to men themselves. India is a prime example of that these days.

Let's hope one day Anmar can genetically engineer that out of men.

Male attitudes

Oh, I don't think you need worry too much about that. Once Garia has finished the makeover this society will be unrecognisable.

Penny

Blackstone

Is becoming the crucible of change the rest of the country has to look forward to.

I sometime feel that men have a wildness about them which prevents society from moving forward. Just as women have a partial civilized streak that If used for good lead us to a better situation.

It is a proper conundrum to figure out just how to balance the nature and desires of one with the needs and wants of another. Men can not be seen or treated as dray animals and women are not breading stock. This leaves quite a gap between the two that need to be resolved before all can move forward.

That is one of the joys of writing is that we can literary explore how to go about this with no harm to any laboratory specimens. It will be a hard balance to discover but one we need to work towards nonetheless.

Pray tell Is there any takers up for a discussion concerning this topic.?????. This community is uniquely suited for such a discussion.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Blackstone

Is becoming the crucible of change the rest of the country has to look forward to.

I sometime feel that men have a wildness about them which prevents society from moving forward. Just as women have a partial civilized streak that If used for good lead us to a better situation.

It is a proper conundrum to figure out just how to balance the nature and desires of one with the needs and wants of another. Men can not be seen or treated as dray animals and women are not breading stock. This leaves quite a gap between the two that need to be resolved before all can move forward.

That is one of the joys of writing is that we can literary explore how to go about this with no harm to any laboratory specimens. It will be a hard balance to discover but one we need to work towards nonetheless.

Pray tell Is there any takers up for a discussion concerning this topic.?????. This community is uniquely suited for such a discussion.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Discussion invite

Sounds like a good plan to me ---- thanks as well for taking the time to comment.

Any other takers?

J

Happy Anniversary

Sounds excellent to me too. But let's be wary of generalisation.

http://youtu.be/JlVqP7nMnVU

Men are stupid (women are evil)
That's just the way it's got to be
Happy anniversary

Ban nothing. Question everything.