Julina of Blackstone - 019 - A Room With A View

Printer-friendly version

New clothes, newcomers and new dishes – Julina's education continues apace

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

019 – A Room With A View


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
019 – A Room With A View

New clothes!

Obviously, this was the highest priority for Pomma and myself.

By then we had arrived at her home and we nearly ran in, anxious to see the attire.

In a very short space of time, we had tried on the new breeches and skirts, discovering that they all fit perfectly. We giggled together in anticipation of our first rides tomorrow morning. Of course, we both wanted to be there at dawn, but knew that that would not be the most convenient time for Sookie. We agreed to get there at the Second Bell.

This meant that there was another lettering lesson to be cancelled. I could already see the glee on the kids' faces.

I said that I would pop down to the Claw and tell Sookie what we had decided. If there was any change, then I would return. Changing quickly back into our day dresses, we both felt a pang. How we wanted to make use of the new attire immediately!

She opened the door for me and we were greeted by a wave of sound from outside. Looking down the slope, I could see that a wagon was attempting to turn into one of the side alleys that had been levelled earlier, the one on the south side of M's. In order to make the turn, the wagoneer needed to use the full width of Main Street which was, of course, blocking traffic from both directions. One driver coming downslope had decided that the stationary wagon in front of him was parked, so he pulled out to go by and only discovered his mistake once he was on the 'wrong' side of the road. Various drivers were shouting at him and he was shouting back.

Meanwhile, the wagon pulling into the alley had cut the corner too closely and locked one of his wheels on the wooden sidewalk. He was also getting shouted at by everybody. The wagon immediately upslope, heading downslope, had started too early and there was just not enough room to squeeze past the blocked wagon. So the blocked wagon could not now reverse out of the trouble.

It needed someone to take control, and I saw the Sheriff run out of the Bell to try to sort it all out. Pomma and I were amazed at the way the traffic was all snarled up like a dropped ball of wool. It gave us a thorough understanding as to why some of the construction was being rushed through now. At least we pedestrians could now use the street without fear, just for a short while.

I scooted down the slope, mostly using the road surface, but changing to the sidewalk when I got to the blockage. I didn't have far to go when I got to the Claw, for Sookie was standing out in the road looking up at the chaos, shaking her head.

We talked about the congestion at first before getting round to my reason for coming down. She took me into her office to check her appointments and we finally agreed on a time of half a bell after the Second Bell. We then went out to the stabling and saw the animals – and fed them a titbit or two, of course – looking for Parry to give him the news. We eventually found him down in the other stabling block, the 'non-residents' one.

By the time I had finished chatting with them both, I suppose that a half a bell had passed. When I regained the pavement by Main Street, traffic was flowing once again. I later discovered that the wagon going down had been unloaded to a certain extent and then backed up the hill just enough to allow the alley-seeking wagon to be freed. Whilst that wagon was manoeuvred into the alley, the other wagon had been reloaded and then sent on its way, which allowed the down-direction wagons to roll, which itself allowed the other wagon to get back into the stream. So normality was returned with not SO much disturbance.

As soon as I had got as far as M's, the upslope stream halted once again, to much muttering from the wagoneers who would have to start again pulling upslope. This blockage though was not for long, since the Sheriff was there and kept his remarks to the minimum.

“Welcome, Master Pocular, to our booming town. We look forward to meeting with you. But for now, if you would lead your wagons up to the level area, you will find we have cleared a space for you in the south-west corner, next to the Bell Tower. I shall walk up there to give you a better welcome.” He continued after turning to me: “Mistress Julina, would you be so kind as to inform Master Brydas that Master Pocular has arrived and maybe he would like to join us at the reserved area of the campingplace? I have to go and fetch the Steward, and Master Bezan if I can find him, and it wouldn't do to keep our new arrival waiting too long.”

“With pleasure, Sheriff. I shall go and inform him immediately.”

One by one, the upslope-headed wagons, one with two frayen hitched to the back, lurched back into motion, and before a further moment had passed, traffic again returned to normal.

Which was a pain, as I needed to cross that busy road again. But I managed it with a little skipping from one foot to the other as I ran and twisted through the traffic.

I entered the Forge grounds and looked around, but could not spot Uncle immediately. I did, however spot Jerbin and I waved to him. He and another were carrying a metal thing, very similar to the water tanks I had seen before. They put it down on a large metal object out of which some smoke was pouring. Jerbin had a word with the other man, picked up a bucket of water from the ground and poured it into the tank, obviously demonstrating what had to be done. Some spilt drops hissed, sizzled and danced on the metal object below the tank. Jerbin went to one end of the tank and fiddled with a spigot there. I realised that he was checking that the spigot was fully shut.

He started to walk over to where I was standing; I had attempted to make sure I kept out of the way of all the men working around here, so I had chosen the same spot into which Uncle had ushered me before.

I felt something stirring in my brain, something was screaming to get out. I blinked and suddenly I was shocked into immobility.

That idea I had been nurturing suddenly sprang forward into my consciousness, fully formed. I was stunned at the thought, and started to look at it for problems, trying to see if the idea would in fact work. What if …

I was brought back to my surroundings as Jerbin, obviously not for the first time, demanded: “What is it that you want, Mistress?”

“Oh! Er ... yes ... I'm sorry ... I was distracted ... where are ... Ah! Yes, is Master Brydas around? I have a message from the Sheriff.”

“I'll go and fetch him,” he said as he looked at me with puzzlement.

“Um ... yes ...” I murmured as I went back to my thoughts, barely acknowledging him.

... … … …

“Julina! Hello, Julina! Are you aware now? Julina?”

“Hmmm? Oh, hello Uncle. Let me see, I have a message for you from the Sheriff – he has gone to … to ... ah! Fetch the Steward. That glassmaker - Master Poculen or whatever - has arrived and the Sheriff invites you to join him and the Steward in welcoming the new man. Up in the ... the ... ah, yes! Reserved, that was it. The reserved area of the campingplace. By the Bell Tower.”

“Ah! I thank you, my dear.” He paused for a little. “You are thinking something through, I can tell. You're just like Senidet. I recognise the signs. May I be of assistance in any way?”

“Possibly, Uncle. Possibly. I have to go and ask the plumber something first, but I suspect that both you and Master Bezan may be interested in my idea, and be able to tell me if it's possible.”

“Well you hurry down to see Master Rostan, and then get back to me. But I shall go now to meet our glass man. See you later.”

I turned once more back to the Main Street. Was I to spend my entire day going up and down this one road?

I decided to delay going down to the plumber's and instead went up to Pomma's to deliver my message there, the one about the start tomorrow being a half-bell later than we had decided between us. She wanted to talk some, and had some spare time. I told her about the new glassmaker so she wanted immediately to go and inspect him – for that was exactly what we intended to do, but we couldn't be so obvious about it.

She came with me up to the next, and final, house on that side – Malet's and Kelly's. I had mentioned that Kelly might be interested in accompanying us. As it happened, Kelly was entertaining my other two special friends as well as Mistress Lendra, which was a surprise – a pleasant surprise, but nevertheless a surprise. Molly's mother Mousa was also there.

We weren't inquisitive at all, you will understand. We just wanted to look at the development of the Miners' Village, and if our route just happened to take us past the south-west corner of the campingplace then that was entirely coincidental to anything else that might just happen to be occurring there.

So it was that Pomma, Kelly, Malet, Gyth, Molly, Mousa, Lendra and I just happened to wander along there, and we just happened to bump into Epp and Grizanthet coming up from the Epphouses. Close observers may have noticed that this was an unusually quiet group of women, but that, of course, was because we didn't want to disturb any meeting between some men that was going on there. It's not that we wanted to listen at all, you'll understand. It was just respect for the men.

Surprisingly, we women all managed to gather there before the designated townsmen, so there was no conversation for us to accidentally overhear. We made a big thing of meeting the two women coming up the rough slope, making it seem as if this was an arranged occurrence. But then it got awkward for a little moment. It was difficult to find a topic of conversation to bring in what were complete and utter strangers to us.

I saw Epp whisper to Grizanthet and then she sort of drifted round the group, and struck up a conversation with me as though it was a continuation of something we had just recently had. I went along with it, and answered in like spirit, as the others turned to us. All, we could see, about to jump in.

“If it pleases you, Master?” came Grizanthet's voice, which sounded just a trifle overloud to me, but maybe I was being a little sensitive. “I don't wish to be rude, nor nasty, but these parking spots here have been reserved for a valued newcomer who is due soon. Perhaps you should park in another spot. Our new glassmaker will be arriving some time today, my husband suggests even sometime this early afternoon, and it was our town's intention to honour him by …”

His laugh boomed out.

Oh Maker!

I don't think any female within two casts was unaffected by the tone of that laugh.

“Mistress! I am he. I am the new Glassmaker. If I may introduce myself, my name is Pocular.” The richness of his laugh was also reflected in the timbre of his voice. A little shiver went through me and I was aware that my companions were all ... Oh Maker! Molly!

The same thought occurred to my two other best friends at the same heartbeat.

Gyth and I were closest to her so we took a hand each, while Kelly moved to stand between her and the man. Poor Molly was vibrating!

I don't think I would have been human if a flash of resentment hadn't shot across me. I wanted to be here to meet the newcomer, to listen to the introductions and to learn more, but I knew I would have to take Molly away.

That fleeting flash of resentment was however exactly that – fleeting. And therefore my brain had started zooming as to how to achieve Molly's extraction from our group, with her mother's help, of course.

Lendra stepped forward and reached a hand to the back of Molly's neck. She made a calming noise, did something with her fingers and suddenly Molly was collapsing! Lendra just managed to catch her and lowered her gently to the ground, saying that the poor girl had fainted. We all clustered round the prone Molly and Master Pocular jumped down from his wagon, offering to carry her to somewhere more comfortable.

“No!” I said a little too sharply. I modified my tone. “No, Master, it is something the poor girl suffers from quite often, particularly in these days, if you see what I mean.”

He almost screeched to a halt when the significance of my words reached his brain. It would have been quite funny if the situation wasn't so tense.

Lendra, Mousa and Malet, managed to carry the unconscious form to Malet's back door, some eight or ten strides distant, before they took her indoors and disappeared from view.

We all muttered generalities and so on, and, before we knew it, Malet was back, saying that Molly was resting and Mousa would look after her. Lendra had given her some herbal concoction and would be out very soon.

Meanwhile Epp had engaged Master Pocular in conversation again, and the excitement was gradually pushed into the background.

The Master introduced his team; he had brought no fewer than three apprentices and a journeymen with him. Then there were the four drivers for the four wagons and six guards/labourers. And two frayen. Epp managed to extract from him that he was without a wife, feeling too young at the moment to start a family.

By then we were back on the conversational track we had wanted to be on. And every single woman just wanted to listen to that incredible voice.

So when the town's Assembly welcoming committee arrived a few moments later, some rapport had already been achieved. The Steward, and Masters Brydas, Fedren, Bezan and Jepp had come as a team. Which explained the slight delay before they all arrived. We women took a sort of step back as the men went through their introductions and chats. Whilst this was going on, Mistress Lendra returned and Master Michen also came across, so the group was steadily increasing.

The men used the vantage point to show the newcomer the town and its surroundings, pointing things out as they spoke. There were some things I and the others learnt from the chats here.

One was that the development plans for the town were based on having TWO streets parallel to Main Street. One on each side. The current high level of traffic had forced a change in priorities and the most important development now was that of East Street.

We had actually, or so we all learnt just then, five flattening teams busy in town or close by. One at each end of the Loop Road, as those ends gradually neared each other, one had been used at the Miners' Village and two were for the new housing, priority being given to the replacement houses for those like us whose houses would have to be moved or demolished. Four of these flattening teams had been taken off all other duties to concentrate on East Street, the one that stayed where it was, was the one most remotely situated way over there above the west bank of the river, making the western bridge approach so there was no incline.

Master Bezan expected the road bed of East Street to be completed along its entire length by dusk tomorrow. The stone road surfacing would begin to be laid on the morrow, but the stones were a difficulty, there being so few of them, as Mostar had been pulled hither and thither with all the stonework required, and Master Blandel had only just recently started being effective once more. They all looked at me as this was said. I wished I could control my blushing.

Master Bezan then continued by explaining that East Street would then become the road for the downslope traffic and Main Street would be reserved for upslope traffic. Four connecting alleys would be provided so access downvalley for the lower houses and businesses would not require them to go all the way up to the campingplace before turning downslope.

West Street would be developed once the Loop Road had come into use and traffic patterns in town had settled down into THAT new arrangement. West Street would start from the campingplace, just like East Street and would rejoin the Main Street exactly opposite where East Street does that.

However, as it was expected that, once the Loop Road opened, then ALL traffic that wasn’t actually bound for the town would use it (it would add maybe three marks to the journey for the coal traffic, but that wouldn’t cause too much of a problem) then West Street might well prove to be of a lesser priority. West Street would be built, of course, to the west of Main Street, but it would be more awkward than East Street since several of the houses on the west side sprawled down towards the stream much more than their neighbours.

They all looked pointedly at Master Brydas at that point, who was quick to point out that the Tanner was worse!

For those reasons, Master Pocular should inspect what had been set aside for him, but he would be free to choose another site.

Mention was then made of creating a workshop area for all the Guildsmen over to the west of the Bray, with easy access to the Loop Road. Master Bezan hastened to add that those facilities were still some weeks and months away, but the advantage would be that the smoke and grime and smells would be kept at a distance from the residential areas. This was a novel idea to nearly all of us, and there were plenty of gasps and, a bit later, nodding of heads knowledgeably.

We also discovered that Master Bezan had written some while ago to Master Pocular and given him the precise measurements of the window holes left in the walls of the buildings here. Whilst clearing all his affairs and packing all his belongings and equipment and so on, Master Pocular had kept busy as he and his colleagues down in, or rather near, Palarand City had constructed a number of windows to fit into these holes. He had escorted a wagon all the way from the capital which was laden with no fewer than sixty of these windows.

We all gasped. So many?

And what was more, we now learnt, apparently they had been paid for by the Palace! No doubt some complicated arrangement with Mylady’s finances. The surprise settled in and we all waited for the next revelation. A few heartbeats went by until a voice broke the silence.

Master Pocular demonstrated a clarity of thought when he asked: “Masters, from what you have said it seems plain to me that my workshop shall eventually be across the stream but my home shall be here on this side. It seems most sensible to set up for the initial week or so only a small workstation this side then, rather than set up a full workshop twice. What do you imagine the demand will be for?”

It was Uncle who first broke the silence brought about by us all thinking deeply for the answer.

“If it was left to all the womenfolk here, you would be confined to making looking glasses, like the one we have hanging in the Bell!” The men all laughed.

“You have a proper flat mirror here? I never would have expected … oh wait! Of course, Guildmistress Garia was up here recently wasn’t she? The Guild sent her one as a present. So it arrived, and she left it here??!!”

“Did you not encounter her on the road, Master? She is gone scarce a week. Ah, but mayhap she overnights in accommodation that you might not have access to!”

“Aye, you have the right of it! But, with due respect ladies,” he said to us with a little bow, “apart from women’s fripperies, what will be the greatest demand?”

Master Bezan stepped in at this point, and answered simply: “More of these windows. My estimates suggest we will need more than four hundred just for the currently planned new builds.”

We all gasped at the numbers. Master Pocular chuckled in surprise, which surprised us women with an instinctive inner reaction to the warm sound.

“And establishments like the Bell and the Claw will want to replace their small, thick glass with these larger sheets. And then all the other houses will want to change over.

“And then in the new year we will be constructing the Community Hall,” he twisted and pointed in the direction of where it shall be, “over yonder. And I should tell you that Mylady wanted it to have mostly glass walls rather than windows. She assures us that it is possible, but admits the technology is unlikely to be available for some years. But she is insistent that it be as light and airy as possible.”

This was the first that any of us women had heard of glass WALLS. We were shocked – well more amazed I suppose. And we all wanted to see the new windows, never having considered that glass could be so different to what we were used to. Yet once again, the changes that were coming far exceeded anything that we could have imagined.

I could write many, many lines about who said what and who did what at this point, but I fear that any readers I might have would be bored silly. We prevailed upon the men to show us the windows, or at least one of them. It was carefully unwrapped and we stood with mouths open – the men as well as us women.

We had been used to each piece of glass in a window being little larger than a fist, held both in place and together by thick surrounds, usually made of lead. Those pieces of glass were thick and made wavy, mostly indistinct views of what was on the other side.

The sheets of glass in this window frame were thinner than we were used to and each was rectangular, the long side being about half again the size of the short side – Master Pocular said that he could make them larger than that, but then as weather protection they would become vulnerable to breaking easily – so this window frame, which was about a stride wide, had just eight sheets of glass in it, two rows of four, the longer sides going up and down. But the gaps between the sheets were filled with just thin strips of wood. And each sheet of glass was so clear with almost no distortion. This was going to make our houses so much lighter inside.

“These sheets are so clear, Master Pocular!”

“We actually call them 'panes', Master Jepp, not sheets, but yes, this 'float glass' as the Guildmistress dubbed it, means that there are no clumps and irregularities. People will be able to see what's going on outside so easily. Mind you, people outside will be able to see what's going on inside equally as easily.”

His chuckle made all us women shiver again.

But that was soon forgotten as he continued his demonstration.

What was more amazing to us was that the window was divided into two vertically, within the frame of course, and each side was attached to the overall frame with hinges on the inside of the outside side. Master Pocular demonstrated that the half-window could be swung open on these hinges, thus allowing more air into the room. We already understood the idea of hinged windows, but all of ours were hinged either at the top or the bottom, and the entire window moved, either propped open with stout wooden props, or suspended from cords tied to hooks.

This really would revolutionise our houses in the future.

Any other thoughts were driven from my mind as I immediately started to consider if we had designed the new house properly. I caught Master Bezan’s eye as he caught mine. We both shook our heads wonderingly.

“What on Anmar do you suppose Master Kordulen is going to say when he sees these in place?”

I just did an exaggerated shrug in reply.

“Did you say Master Kordulen? I met him down the road, near the Chaarn Fork! He surprised me by just appearing suddenly out of the forest. My guards here nearly shot him! It was only that he had one of the new saddles that made them hesitate for that critical heartbeat. We didn't expect the new saddles to be found all the way up here just yet.”

“I am extremely glad you did not shoot him, I should like to see my father again!”

“Ah! My apologies, Mistress er ... Jolanda ...”

“Julina” chorused just about everybody, which made me blush again.

“Rest assured, Mistress Julina, that he is fit and healthy and has absolutely no extra holes in him. He said he was doing some surveying based at the Roadhouse just down from the Chaarn fork, and that he would spend a night at the Forest Roadhouse to do some surveying round there before returning home.”

That chuckle in his voice made many of us females squirm a little yet again!

However the news, once again, made Master Bezan and I exchange glances – neither of us could work out why he would want to survey around the Roadhouse. But we knew we would eventually find out, so we would just have to be patient. (But my brain filed the information away and kept worrying about it at extremely strange intervals during the next day or so.)

The meeting eventually broke up and we all went our separate ways.

Master Pocular had been assigned a bed with Master Brydas, as was his journeyman, so they went off to inspect the arrangements in the Forge House – the drivers and guards would camp by the wagons and the apprentices would have to join them in the first instance.

I quickly arranged to meet Master Bezan and Uncle Brydas down to the Bell in a bell’s time, and then all the men dispersed in every direction it seemed.

Pomma, Epp and Grizanthet all went back to their respective homes, as did Master M, leaving Lendra, Malet and we three to go and check on poor Molly.

… … …

“… any metal really. Mylady has told us not to use lead, but it is the easiest to work with as it is quite soft. I don’t understand Mylady’s restriction I have to confess, and think that she is creating a bit of a fuss about nothing. However, apparently there IS a good use for lead in some other field so all spare lead has been requested.”

“And putting some tap on the end would be no problem?”

“No, no. We have the ability to do that.”

“Thank you so very much, Master Rostan. You have been very helpful indeed.”

“You are very welcome, Mistress Julina. My regards to your father.”

“Thank you. I shall pass the message on.”

With that I took my leave and made my way, yet again, up to and then up Main Street, stopping at the Bell.

Yanda ushered me to a table in the corner and kept me company whilst I waited. I told her about poor Molly fainting and that Mistress Lendra had given her something that should keep her sleeping for the rest of today and overnight until at least dawn. She was well looked after, so I had found no difficulty in leaving her where she was and going back out around the town. The whole episode made me want to seek help for Molly as soon as I could, and I knew I would have to take her with me to Tranidor, which would mean her mother would have to come as well.

I made a joke with Yanda about my freedom not being actually freedom, as I needed a companion or chaperone nowadays. She laughed and was kind enough to be a little worried when I explained that I would have to travel to and from home alone, so that sort of defeated the object of the exercise.

The two men arrived and looked round for me, spotting me only when Yanda stood and waved. They ordered an ale each and I some pel, and some pastries for us all. We chatted about roads and bridges until the refreshments arrived. A healing sip on my part, a healing swig on their parts, and then the main discussion got under way.

“Masters, please let me explain some background. This idea I have had has had roots in various observations, in various places. So let me please first list the influences that have formed this.

“It started in the bathroom and kitchen at home, and went on in the bathrooms and kitchen at Master Michen's. I saw the contents of one of the wagons up to the campingplace. It continued with practices at your forge, Uncle, and was finally confirmed by Master Rostan.

“Ever since we have been about to move, and influenced by yourself Master Bezan and the designs for the new house over which we have spent so many bells, I have looked around deliberately wherever I go to see if there is a good idea we have overlooked.

“I have an idea for almost constant hot water to be available! And to save space in houses. Which I'm sure will save the town and maybe her Ladyship some coin.”

I paused to let my enthusiasm and my clues sink in. Both men sort of hitched their seats closer and put their drinks down. I'm not quite sure why relinquishing your grip on something helps to hear what another person says, but that seems to be a natural human reaction.

“I saw the new ranges that are to be placed in the new houses, they are of a different design and shape to the ones in the houses that I have known all my life. They seem to have a raised back to them, behind the cooking areas. And that raised back is flat on the top, for the full width, about a hand or two wide?”

“Indeed, Mistress Julina. The new one has just been placed into your new house.”

“Really? Already? I must go and look …” I gushed enthusiastically before bringing myself back to the matter in hand. I transferred my attention now to the other man. “Uncle, I saw you use water tanks in your forge. Metal tanks that can be heated?”

“Quite right, my dear.”

“I realised that they were about the width of the ranges. That was the final piece that created this idea, which I think is workable.

“So, why don't we mount a water tank like that, with a flat bottom to fit over the high bit of the range, and let the range keep the water in it permanently warm?”

I paused, I admit, for effect.

“Master Rostan assures me that pipes can be run from such a tank into neighbouring rooms. Master Michen's kitchen has a tank mounted on the wall with cold water in it, and that water is distributed via pipes to the facilities there. This would just be the same principle. And as a result we wouldn't need to carry buckets about the place and have a hand of them all heating up at the same time. And we wouldn't need separate water heating equipment in the bathrooms, which would make for more space or smaller bathrooms. Mind you, we might still require small fires to keep the chill out of the air of the room, so they could also be used for top ups ...”

They looked at me without speaking for a considerable time, so I got nervous and rushed on, just to fill the silence.

“I am no expert, which is why I have come to you two – the two persons I most respect. You can tell me if this would work or not, and I …” I paused as Uncle held up his hand.

“Julina, this is most DEFINITELY an idea that needs pursuing. Right, Bezan?”

“Most definitely, most definitely indeed.”

“Will you trust us with this idea, 'Lina? Will you allow us to go and test things and so on?”

“But of course, Uncle,” I said, wondering why he would ask me such a strangely-worded question. “I have no knowledge of how to go about making this work. That's why I asked to speak to you both. I thought, frankly, that anything to help me have some hot water for an early morning was worth chasing down. Particularly as we are switching to the two sleep system tonight. I thought that if I could use the middle wake time to set up the hot water it would make life so much more pleasant.”

“Oh Maker! Yes, I had nearly forgotten about two sleeps. I suppose we must change over to that soon.”

“Yes”, said Master Bezan. “It makes sense, I suppose it might actually help me to get an earlier night, I could use the middle wake to deal with the correspondence and daily plans. But we have an Assembly meeting in four nights time where we get some more of Julina's delicious cooking, so maybe I shall wait until after that before switching over.”

“Oh Maker, Master Bezan, I wish I had thought of that before. I have told our family now that we shall do two sleeps from now on – I totally forgot I would have to work in the evenings.”

“I'm very glad you said that, Mistress. I was beginning to think that you were a person without faults!”

I started to blush and searched desperately for another subject. Something jumped into my head.

“Now Master Bezan, I have a question or two for you. I have seen a stone construction at our new house on the back wall, and none of the workers could explain to me what it was. They all referred me to you. What is your secret there?”

Master Bezan laughed out loud. “It is connected in a way to your idea, Mistress. Your friend Master Deegrum has shown me the parts into which I could fit of the water supply. With the flowing water and the cool of the tunnels and rooms, he has noted that food keeps from spoiling so quickly. I know also that much mountain ice is transported to Palarand City to assist in keeping foodstuffs fresher for longer. That stone work behind your house will contain a small food store which will be mostly surrounded in water. It has been positioned there to be as much out of the sun as possible so it should be much cooler than in the house. I anticipate that it will be of great benefit, and if it works, then I foresee it being installed over a widespread area. You have a warm idea, I have a cool idea.”

“Ah! So THAT'S why you wanted me to make those metal cabinets which open at the top with a watertight seal!”

“Aye, Master Brydas. Precisely that.” He turned then to me. “So I look forward very much to doing this together and maybe us making something together for the future.”

“And just what do you think you might be doing with Mistress Julina?” laughed Sookie as she came up behind Uncle and laid a hand onto his shoulder. He raised his hand to cover hers.

Master Bezan sprang to his feet and greeted her as I smiled a welcome across the table to her. The men invited her to join us.

“Let me see. It is just after the Fifth Bell. I don't believe I have anything desperately urgent to do, so yes, it would please me to sit and relax if just for a few moments.”

So more pel for us two, more ale for those two, and only just a few more pastries were ordered.

For the next while, it must have ended up being nearly a bell I estimate, the four of us had a most pleasant gathering, passing the time by talking over many subjects both funny and serious. It was almost a wrench when it came to an end. I could see that the men had managed to relax somewhat, a pleasing few moments away for them from the stresses they had.

It came to an end when Garbel came in. He looked around and saw his Master, so he came over and nervously hovered while Uncle finished his sentence. Uncle had already acknowledged his presence.

“If it pleases you, Master, Master Pocular has returned from his walk around town and wonders if you might be available for discussions.”

This acted as a sort of wake-up call and both men soon stood and made their farewells, taking Garbel with them. This left us two to sit there until the pastries were finished. I raised the subject of companions and chaperones with Sookie as well, and she also appreciated the difficulties with which I was faced. She also said she would think about it; at which point, it was time for us to leave.

Again I was not allowed to pay, Yanda telling me that the Masters, on their way out, had declared the meeting as being Town business and thus to be added to the Town account.

I found myself quite shocked at having nothing I actually HAD to do. So I searched my mental list and found a little task.

I sighed.

Once again I had to walk up Main Street.

… ... …

“We have ten men on the Assembly, and then there will be yourselves, which makes fourteen. Father and Kassama and I make seventeen. And Suril and Haka will be here for that night, as it's a trial run, but they will be eating upstairs. So that's nineteen.”

“I must confess that I have never cooked for quite so many. I believe fourteen has been my highest so far. But Sookie and Yanda have done so for many more, and they have given me a few tips and hints, and promised me I could come to them for advice.”

“Do you have any favourite things to cook?”

“Not really. I believe I have cooked most things before. I just need to know how hungry the men shall be!” I laughed.

“They're men – so assume very hungry!” she said with a grin. “But seriously now, is there one dish you can just cook in your sleep, if you like to put it that way? I will explain a little later, if it pleases you.”

“Well, I suppose a Brifil or Ganifil on the avian side, or a Vikhan on the animal side. Any of those I could do without thinking.”

“Thank you.” She smiled at me, then paused.

“Now, please don't take this the wrong way. This is a very important evening for us, so to have to rely on just one thing to be cooked fills me with unease. I am certain that you can do it, and I am sure that it will be perfect, but there are all sorts of factors at play here. You will be in a strange kitchen, using a range with which you are not familiar, with utensils and tools in different places than those to which you are accustomed. And you will have kitchen helpers with whom you have not worked before. So I propose you cook something easy for you to do and we keep it to one side, just in case. And then cook the 'real', if you like, meal.”

She was nervous saying this to me, but I fully understood what she was saying, and, in fact, I was quite relieved.

“My dear Michet, you have no idea how relieved I am to be able to have a safety margin. Thank you.”

She looked surprised at first, and then gave me a hug, saying: “I should never have worried so much about saying this to you! Thank YOU for being so understanding. Now ...”

I grinned as I had come to know her well enough that when she started like that, she had some plan already worked out.

“... what I thought was that I would get a Gavakhan ...”

My jaw dropped. A Gavakhan? A whole Gavakhan? Oh Maker! H H H E E E L L L P P P.

“... and we could do the ribs for that evening, leaving the easier steaks for us the next day and using the other bits to make some tasty stews and soups and sauces and the like ...”

My heart stopped racing quite so much.

“... and then have some vegetables with that and finish with a fruity dessert. What do you think?”

“Now …” I paused teasingly and she grinned, “it all seems very doable.”

“Good.”

And so the broad planning for our trial run was done – just as simply as that.

I checked how the clean up was progressing and the equipment in the kitchen, and played for half a bell with Haka and Haris when she came back, carrying a bag of work that she could do in her own time, in return for leaving early. We had had a quick panicked confusion as we hid Michet from Haka, and soon thereafter Michen appeared.

When we were all gathered together once more, I introduced a new subject, and everyone there was interested that our family were going back to two-sleep nights from now on. They were tempted to do it themselves, until I reminded them that this house would be busy in the evenings soon, so was it worth doing it?

I left shortly after that, having decided that I would just go and see the animals at the Claw once more before going back home from there. I wished them all a wonderful evening and left.

As I went down Main Street (yes – again!), I met our Steward just turning into his house. A thought zoomed through my head.

“Excuse me, Captain?”

“Yes, Mistress Julina? How may I be of help?”

“Master Michen and I have just had a preliminary meeting about the catering for your Assembly meeting in four nights' time. With the topic fresh in my mind, it suddenly occurred to me that you will have eaten many meals in places varying from palaces to pastures. So I hope to receive some pointers or advice based upon your experiences. Would it be permissible for Master Michen and I to meet with you some time tomorrow to 'pick your brains' as it were? We are both getting a little nervous about what you and your colleagues might expect, and what we might have to supply in the future.”

“Of course, Mistress. I shall be glad to pass on any knowledge I may have. Do you have any appointments tomorrow that I should avoid when setting a time?”

“If it pleases you Captain, I have my first riding lesson in the morning with Mistress Sukhana down to the Claw at a half after the Second Bell. Mistress Sukhana has no-one to ride with on a regular basis, and Mistress Pomma and I now have the attire, the saddles and the animals to be brought along, so that we might soon accompany her into the countryside.”

“What a splendid idea – I should have thought of exercising my animal in such a fashion. I shall think about what we might do once you are more proficient. You ladies might like an escort sometimes. So, tomorrow, shall you and Master Michen join me and Master Mesulkin for a light lunch at the Noon Bell, here? I will then attempt to answer your questions.”

“Why, Captain! That is most generous of you. I am honoured, and I believe that I can safely say the same on Master Michen's behalf.”

I parted from him and retraced my steps up Main Street to M's to give him the news. M thanked me for both thinking of it and for organising it.

I left, again.

I walked on the sidewalk by Main Street, again.

I went into the Claw, again.

I fed some titbits to the animals, again.

I parted from Parry, again.

I went to the new house, again.

The foreman there was shouting words of warning to the workers, who were installing the first window into the north-facing wall of what would be Papa and Swayga's sitting room. The vision of the workers breaking some of the glass hit me, and I suddenly realised that maybe it wouldn't be quite so easy to just fix these windows as I had first thought.

To keep out of the way, I went into the kitchen and saw the newly delivered range. It was just standing in the middle of the floor on some wooden cylinders so it could later be rolled into position.

I turned round and went to watch the window fitting being completed. They took some shredded pakh-wool and squidged it in all round the outside of the frame, then they took something that looked like liquid mud and plastered it all round where the wool had been put. They did this inside and outside. When I asked, they explained that this would dry and set hard, sealing the frame into the hole. They would then nail a surround round the outside and all draughts should be excluded that way.

Once they finished with that window, the workers moved over to do the north side window of the kitchen and I went into the room they had just left.

I just stood there in P and S's sitting-room-to-be and looked out of the new window in total amazement. The views afforded by this clear glass were like nothing I had ever seen from a room before. I knew that the entire family were going to be amazed. I made a mental note to discuss with Swayga that maybe Papa should be with us when we did an inspection visit.

The light was just beginning to fail when I shook myself out of my wonder and I decided I needed a rest.

I climbed the slope to the old house, again.

It was nice to get home and relax with nothing to do but watch Swayga and Kords get the meal.

Again!

There was a different smell in the air this time though, and I asked Swayga to tell me what she was doing.

“Steef has sent me a present! He has been fishing in the lake behind the Roadhouse and had a bumper catch. So he sent us six in a water tank, on one of the supply wagons that left the Roadhouse early, to keep them alive until they got here. I have to send the tank back on the next shuttle.

“I am making you all a surprise dish this evening, a dish he and I loved when we were children. I just have to slice up the fish after removing the skin and make sure there are no bones, then cook it gently in a sort of broth made with water, some Irris Bean spice and chopped koonkle. When it is cooked, I take it out of the liquid and put it to one side. I then cook up a little freehee in the fishy liquid, one spoonful per person. This will absorb most, if not all, the fishy, spicy liquid. Just before this is done, I slide the fish pieces on a tray into the oven to get thoroughly hot. When all is ready, I make a nice bed of freehee on the platter, place the fish on top of that and scatter the whole with some extra pieces of raw chopped koonkle. The yellow of the fish is a lovely contrast on the plate with the deep red of the koonkle, and the white of the freehee.

“As you yourself have often said, making the dish look nice makes it taste nicer. In spring and summer, when the fresh young herbs are growing, then a sprinkle of their chopped leaves makes it look even better with a green confusion over the top as well.”

“I am looking forward to this immensely. Does the fish have a name?”

“Oh yes! This one is a medium-sized one and is named 'Foti'. For a main course you need a whole foti per adult man, less for women and children. The recipe works for other fish as well, but I and Steef much prefer it done with these.”

“Thank you!”

The Foti dish was a big hit with everyone and even Kord wanted to know when they could have it again.

So it was a cheerful group who, albeit still reluctantly, were packed off to bed earlier than they had been recently.

Swayga, Kords and I cleaned everything up as we chatted. Swayga made sure to leave the doors and windows open for a good quarter of a bell, as she said the smell of cooking/cooked fish can linger unpleasantly. It got quite cold actually, so we huddled by the range until we heard the bells.

Of course we chatted as we were there, which I'm sure is no surprise. They were shocked as I related my experiences of trying to get home last night, and they asked why I hadn't mentioned it before. I explained that I was worried about the children more than for myself, but I would have to be careful too. Swayga emphasised that actually I was the most vulnerable and Kords the next!

This gave rise to some lively discussion, but at the end they both were concerned about my need for a companion and they too said they would think about it. They agreed with me that maybe the upcoming move to the new house might change the situation slightly.

I then told them about the windows and they also agreed with me that we should wait until Papa was back before taking the entire family on an inspection trip. But something told me that they would both sneak off and have a look for themselves. I hid my knowing grin.

And so I went to bed on the sixth night of my freedom, finally actually relaxing into my new life, even if it was just a temporary state.

I knew I would wake soon after the Midnight Bell, I always did. I would need to use the facilities. So I would stay awake at that point and rouse the others, to get us all into the two sleep system.

That, however, was always a time of some grumpiness.

And so it transpired.

In the awake period between sleeps, I showed Swayga my way of banking the fires and loading the surface of the range with big pans of water. She approved of it and promised to check everything before settling in for the second sleep.

I told the rest of the family I wanted to do some writing and they left me alone in my corner, savouring the peace. Everyone knew that these wake bells were for quiet contemplation of whatever it was each did.

What I did was to sit down and write a long letter to Mylady Merizel, hoping that she remembered me, and that she didn't mind if I sent her a letter occasionally. I told her basically what I have written in these tales, but not to so much detail of course.

I felt the sleepiness creep up on me for the second time, so I finished off the letter, signed it, and let my ears sink onto my pillow once more.

I had a warm, content feeling as I drifted off once more.


up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A royalty any one?

Julina's plumbing and water heater idea deserves a 'patent' or a royalty to say the least. Hope the Smith arranges that for her via Garia. That does beg the question as to how ordinary inventors get a design royalty.

Garia will find out she needs to invent traffic lights. Sounds like there will need for traffic control officers. Much of what is happening is reflected in some towns in the US where fracking is going on.

It sounds like the town is definitely going through some growing panes .... erm pains ;)

Julina's Design Rights

I hope 'Uncle' sets up Julina's design rights so she becomes wealthy like Garia. That idea could put some real coin in her kick.

Excellent developments.

DJ