Julina of Blackstone - 020 – Astride, Ride, Pride and Hide

Printer-friendly version

Julina does get to ride a frayen, but getting to that point isn't as easy as expected – and the aftermath has a surprise or two as well

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

020 – Astride, Ride, Pride and Hide


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
020 – Astride, Ride, Pride and Hide

I awoke just before dawn, and I felt a lot better. That might have been due to the first day after my Call, but I believe that the two sleep system works far better for my body than the sleep right through.

It may also, of course, have had to do with the excitement of my first ride on a frayen that was going to happen shortly. I had not told all my family about this, I had vague plans of one day riding up to the house and surprising them. Because of that, I had left my riding breeches and skirt down to Pomma's, thus avoiding any questions from those inquisitive siblings.

The heated water thing worked well, and Swayga complimented me by saying that she would never have thought of it. She and Kords really appreciated it and Kords, I think, gave me a further measure of respect as she realised some more little things that I had been doing over the years to make everyone's life easier, things that had not been apparent.

We had our breakfast as normal and, just before everyone left the table, I called for all their attention by tapping on my water mug. It took a little while but eventually they quieted down.

I started by asking a question, but toned it as if I were making an announcement.

“I hope you all slept well and found the two sleep system easy to slip into?”

They all nodded, but I noticed that little Kord scowled as he did so.

“Good. Then there won't be any problem to keep doing it. That is GOOD news.” I didn't dare look at Swayga, who had turned round quickly to hide her laughter. “Now, I'm afraid I have some BAD news for you all.”

Hah! THAT got their attention. 'Kin even stopped swinging his permanently moving leg – if it wasn't swinging, it was jigging on his foot, or bouncing on the opposite knee.

“There is a LOT to do this morning and Swayga will tell you your tasks.” More scowls. “But, the bad news is … that this morning's lettering lesson is cancelled.”

There was a silence for a brief heartbeat or two, but then they all cheered and jeered at me, smiles breaking out all over as they realised I had been teasing them. I grinned back at them, and we all ended up having a group hug, the children automatically pulling Swayga into it, which brought some unshed tears to her eyes.

I let it go for maybe a moment before coughing meaningfully. Without anyone releasing the group hug, I had each one waiting for me to say something more.

“Yesterday I sort of had a message from Papa. He is well and is on his way back. He will be here either tonight or tomorrow, unless any difficulties arise. So please make sure the house is clean and worthy of welcoming him properly.

“Now, I have to go somewhere this morning and have an appointment at noon, but as it stands, I have little to do this afternoon. So I shall be back at around the Fifth Bell to help you all finish, note I said FINISH, your tasks. I am NOT going to be here to do them for you. Is that clear?”

“Yes, 'Lina,” they all chorused, including both Kords and Swayga which made us all laugh some more.

“Now, I do have to be serious for a moment. What I have to say is going to affect us all. And it is very, very, very important.”

The seriousness in my tone sobered them all up quite rapidly, and Swayga looked a worried question at me. I signalled back that it would be fine.

“Our Town, where we have lived all our lives, has changed recently. You all are aware of the many new faces around, but you may not realise that the number of people in town has now doubled since the time that Mylady arrived, all those weeks ago.

“This means that there are many strangers around, many people we don't know. It is highly unlikely that any of them are as evil as Trogan and his crew, but some may not be as good as our neighbours have been all our lives. So from now on, we all have to be far more careful than we are used to being. I will let Swayga tell you more details once I have gone, but it means much more for all us girls than it does for you two boys – nevertheless it applies to you boys too, until you are grown enough. It is no longer sensible for ANY of us to walk around on our own. Ever. WHATEVER the temptation, from now on, none of you are to go out without someone alongside. Is that clear?”

As I suspected, they all looked a little confused, but Swayga promised to explain more.

“This means that today, Kords AND Kissa will accompany me to Mistress Pomma's where they will leave me. Then the two of them can escort each other back here. Maybe there will be some errands for them to do in town, but they will ALWAYS be together. I want you all to promise me, here and now, and repeat the promise to Swayga as well. You will never walk about town, not even for five strides only, alone. You will ALWAYS have someone near you.

“I am very serious about this, as serious as anything I have ever said to you before. If something happens to your partner, then you may run somewhere safe to get help or hide or do whatever is necessary, but that is the ONLY time you can be alone. There will be no excuses allowed. Is that clear? I want to hear each of you individually say you understand what I have just said.”

I went round them one by one.

And then, I went round again extracting their promises.

Then I made them individually promise Swayga too.

“Thank you, children. That means a lot to me. I can be less fearful for you now. Now, I can go and do MY chores before I leave, and you two boys can have a bath this morning, as we have much hot water.”

I turned away, and went to my room, where I had a sudden need to have a cry.

Kords came in a little later, and just sat next to me and hugged me, without a word being spoken.

By and by, I stopped my sobbing, and she whispered: “Why?”

“Oh the world, our world, is changing so fast, dear Kords. It will never again be as it was. I guess I am mourning our lost innocence. There are more and larger difficulties ahead of us, but it is all still exciting. I just feel sad that a way of life is now behind us. But, I say again, there is much to look forward to.” I hugged her fiercely. “I just hope I have prepared you all properly for it.”

“Oh 'Lina. Every day that goes by, I learn something that you have done for us and none of us have ever thanked you. You could not have done anything any better. I appreciate your selflessness more and more, each evening. You have been wonderful. And we have been a trial to you. I will help you in every way I can. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Of course, no two girls can say all that to each other without waterworks.

So we had another little crying session after which we again wiped our eyes, stood up, twitched our dresses into place as we straightened our backbones, and went out once more to the waiting world.

I smiled inwardly as I saw Swayga's eyes ask Kords if everything was all right. Her eyes twitched over to me, and mine told her that she had nothing to worry about.

… … …

A few chores followed by chopping up some malm and popping it into my pouch made the time pass. Eventually I heard the chimes of the Second Bell and announced that it was time for me to leave. I had a small coin pocket in the skirt of my dress, so I dropped a few soos and feniks into it, picked up my letter and gathered Kords and Kissa to me. I had packed my carry bag already, and after looking at my two companions, I turned and slipped an extra something into it.

We waved goodbye to the others and set out along the path to the campingplace.

“Have you got your list of errands, you two?” Something in me couldn't just let go of the mother role.

“Yes” they sighed, a little grumpily, just tapping their slates attached to their belts.

“And have you got some coin?”

“Yes! We're not babies you know!”

I knew when it was wise to keep quiet, although I was tempted to tell them to go and fetch a carry bag, as neither had thought to bring one. But, I couldn't treat them as babies, now could I? Another lesson for them to learn the hard way. Fortunately, I had seen this and that was what I had slipped into my personal carry bag just before leaving. I would give it to them when we parted at Pomma's.

I started humming to myself as we swished our way through the longish grasses.

“I can tell you're all excited about something, 'Lina. What is it?”

“Oh Kissa. I just want to keep it a secret for a little while. I promise you you will be surprised, pleasantly, when I reveal it to you.”

“Is it a boy? I bet it is, you're sort of humming inside. Oh! Is it that Denesar? He's working for the carpenter I heard.”

Oh how I wish I didn't blush so easily! This started the two of them off, giggling and teasing me.

“It is! What's he like to kiss, then 'Lina?”

Life is all about decisions. Should I deny that it was about a boy that I had already forgotten about, and thus open myself to further probing questions? Or should I use this inaccurate thinking to my advantage and thus be able to avoid those probing questions?

Just then, little Kissa dropped her kerchief and bent to pick it up. As she did so, her slate rattled on a largish stone just to one side of the path. I recognised this as being the one almost exactly halfway between our house and the campingplace.

She lifted the slate away from the stone, careful not to erase any of the marks on it. She checked that she had not done so.

I could almost see her mind work.

She stood up and looked at Kords' slate, which was as equally filled.

“Oh Kords! How are we to manage all this? I'll just run back and get a carry bag. Silly us!”

I let her get three strides away before bellowing: “Stop!”

She juddered to a halt and turned round. She looked at me a little fearfully as she recognised the anger in my voice, even from so short a word.

“I am disappointed! Disappointed in both of you! And you tell me you are not babies ...

“You have both already forgotten the solemn promises you made to both Swayga and I only this morning. You, Kordulissa, ...” she winced as I used her full name, “... were going to run back home – alone! And you, Kordulet, were going to let her.” I shook my head in dismay, and let my disapproval show in my face. “Now we will all three continue to my appointment, and you can tell me when we get there what you are going to do about the carry bag you two non-babies completely forgot about. I am not going to be late for my appointment because neither of you can think, so we are NOT going back home now.”

Well that put a stop to their teasing me all right.

And also a stop to any conversation.

I knew I had to let them stew on their own for the lesson to be really learnt, but it was difficult being so mean.

We walked across the campingplace, and as we went across there, I made them even more confused since I made several enquiries of people who happened to be about.

Finally we found the daily shuttle wagon – which immediately annoyed me, as only the shuttle wagons have that special seating arrangement and I should have remembered that. Rather than asking about, I could have used my eyes to find it.

We approached the driver and I began by introducing my two sisters to him, which puzzled all three of them – at first.

“We have a metal tank that was used to bring some fish up here. This tank has to be returned to Steef at the Forest Roadhouse, who sent it up as a present for his sister. Is it likely you might have room for it?”

“Oh aye, Mistress. I can slide it under my seat if the belly is too full. Especially if it's from Mistress Swayga. She's a good woman that. Some lucky man up here has asked her to marry him, a Kord-something if my memory serves.”

“Yes, you are quite right. Master Kordulen has indeed asked Mistress Swayga to be his bride – and our mother!”

His eyes widened and he doffed his cap to us.

“Delighted to meet you, young ladies. Mistress Swayga is a favourite of us drivers what with the details and help and thoughtful changes she made down to the Roadhouse. 'Twill be a pleasure to do her a small favour – at no charge, of course. But I have to leave at the Noon Bell. I cannot, dare not, wait for after it. The tank MUST be here before that.”

“Understood!”

I turned to the others: “You got that, girls?”

I got a nod from each still-silent sibling before I turned back to the driver: “I myself shall not be here but one or both of these two shall. Swayga will send her thanks, I'm sure.”

At that, I wished him a good day and we passed on our way.

… … …

“... and you should have seen their faces when I pointed out that they were doing exactly what they had promised not to do, just before!”

“That must have been quite funny.” She paused. “You know, despite the difficulties you describe so well, how I wish I had had children. We tried, but somehow I never 'took' if you get what I mean.”

“Sometimes, Pomma, every mama wishes that she HADn't had children. They are the most awkward, intolerant, frustrating, irritating, selfish, rude, mucky, untidy and worrisome things ever invented. And yet the most rewarding! Although, of course, I have never been responsible for really tiny ones – and I have never been through the pain of producing them, nor the delights of breastfeeding!”

“So what happened outside the door when you arrived? I heard some sort of squealing?”

“Well I had let them think that they had to accompany me, then go back home together to get a carry bag and then come back to town before they could do their errands. But I actually had seen them leave home without a carry bag, and therefore slipped one unnoticed into MY carry bag. I decided to give them it when we got here. They were pleased with me and annoyed at me all at the same time. But we have to do things like that to get our messages home to them. I wasn't too upset with Kissa, because she is still young, but I had expected more of Kords, and I think that made it worse for her, because she knew she should have been more thoughtful, both about the bag and about the need for a companion.”

I stopped for a moment and then laughed out loud as I continued: “I bet they never tell me that they're 'not babies' ever again!”

While we had been chatting, we had also been changing. And we were now ready. My heart was beating faster. Pomma recognised my nervousness at walking around town in a skirt considerably shorter than anything I had even worn before, and also considerably shorter than any other inhabitant habitually wore in public, reaching as it did to JUST below my knees. It did swirl and sway interestingly as I moved, a most unique sight and a unique feeling for the wearer!

I took comfort in knowing that Pomma would also be in exactly the same circumstances. Pomma had a sort of barrier between her and the world as she hugged her saddle to her. I had no such item to hide behind.

It would be nice to record that we went unnoticed as we walked down the sidewalk and crossed the road as soon as we could, to gain the opposite sidewalk. However, that would be a lie.

We passed the Forge and were aware of a certain disruption to normal activities as the lads and men there caught sight of us. There was a chorus of whistles and adolescent 'humorous' remarks, but we kept our faces forward and our backs straight, not acknowledging them in the slightest.

We passed Master Horbelan's where a sudden discordancy suggested that someone in there had seen us and fumbled their playing of their instrument. We were aware of a relative silence that followed us as we progressed. Just then, a good gap appeared in the traffic, so we crossed Main Street and gained the sidewalk on the other side, just down from M's. This was the side of M's where one of the connecting alleys to East Street was being prepared with a stone surface. All work in that alley stopped as we passed by the mouth of it.

Continuing downhill, we passed the Watch Office and the Steward's house without incident and I was just beginning to think we could make to the Claw without any major moments when we got to the Messenger Office. I had that letter for Mylady Merizel to send, so we just popped in to do that. I think we were both relieved that the place was empty of other customers. Master Selden had a slight cough as he started talking to us, but it didn't seem too serious. He took my letter and my money and then complimented us on our attire: “Mylady would be proud to see her fashions were being used in her town!”

This made us feel a whole lot better and we smiled at each other. It's not as if these skirts had never been seen before, and Myladies Garia and Merizel, and Jenet and Senidet had all worn one at various times, some quite frequently. They had of course departed but Sookie had also been seen in such attire, and she was still here.

We turned to leave with a lighter step, and were met outside by a far larger group of people than we remembered being about when we went in. Some of them sort of looked and turned round, pretending not to be looking at us, but others did not have that self-control and politeness; they just, frankly, gawped.

Our new found confidence, courtesy of Master Selden, fled like pakh-wind in a gale.

With a big swallow, I braced myself again and Pomma clutched her saddle harder to her chest. We would have held each other's hand had she one available.

We marched forward, unconsciously falling into step with each other, and the crowd eased to afford us a passage. There were shouts from wagoneers as those at the back stepped in to the road and there was a scattering of heads back there, as they hurriedly re-sought the refuge of the sidewalk. We reached that sidewalk and turned left to make our way to the next building. People in front of us scattered out of our way and those behind us seemed to crowd forward.

We stepped off the sidewalk down to the level of the alley that passes to the north of the Claw. This was not one that was being surfaced, that was the alley to the south of the Claw, so we wordlessly decided to use this one and simply turned into it, away from the throng. Fast walking took us to the end of the alley fairly quickly, we turned right, went another few strides and turned once more to the right, into the courtyard from the east, from the paddock direction – from my new house direction.

We scurried down the stable side and slipped into the refuge of the stables themselves, glad to be hiding from the gawpers. In there, we found Parry and Sookie just about to start preparing. Sookie was also dressed in a shorter skirt, of course, and we felt that maybe our fears outside had been groundless.

“You two look flustered? What's the matter with you?”

“Oh Sookie, we changed into our riding skirts at my house and simply walked down the Main Street to get here. I think seeing two women in riding skirts has been a bit of a shock to some in town, particularly those who were not here when Mylady was. After Julina dropped a letter into the Messenger Office, we came out and there was quite a hefty crowd gathered. No-one actually touched us or anything but we felt …”

Just then we heard shouting from outside; Sookie, who had been growing angry as Pomma related our experiences, spun on her heel and went out to deal with whatever it was. We followed her less speedily.

It wasn't too difficult to see what had happened. The crowd on the pavement had overspilled into the carriage entrance to the Claw and blocked it temporarily. A wagon had tried to turn in and couldn't advance due to the press of bodies, so the Main Street was blocked again. It looked like one of the gawpers had fallen and was sitting there clutching an ankle, with both a pained expression on his face, and foul language on his tongue.

It took a good quarter of a bell to get everything sorted out and the Main Street clear for traffic once more. There were many strong words and the Sheriff and Suril dragged three of the most noisy arguers to the Watch House, aided by a bevy of wagoneers and stablehands supplied willingly by Sookie. Sookie was particularly incensed by some loud gawpers calling her establishment a 'whorehouse', and Master Tanon's men required no extra incentive to use muscle to get some of the idiots to move along.

Sookie was quite magnificent in her anger. Standing there, in a skirt that was actually just a little bit shorter than ours were, she made just about every one of the disrupters fully aware of the stupidity of their actions and their antisocial attitudes. Some took note and looked sorry, but there were just a few who were angry and unaccepting, their minds for whatever reason completely closed.

Then one of those ones made the mistake of threatening Sookie.

… … …

“Just speak to your beast. Gently, but firmly. Today is all about establishing a trust between the two of you. All four of you actually have silly grins on your faces, so the process has started, and started well. I can tell that Dralla and Wiget are really enjoying this just as much as you two are.”

“Oh Sookie. I never realised how wonderful this feeling could be. I'm so grateful to Master Wainer and to you. And to Parry, of course,” she added, glancing over at him.

The four of us were mounted, and try as hard as I might, I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face. This was such a marvellous feeling. It more than made up for the earlier unpleasantness.

Almost as soon as that silly man made his insulting and threatening remarks, he was surrounded by men from the Claw, most of whom had by now returned from the Watch House, or come down from their dormitories or out from the Common Room.

I had to be told what had happened next, because, through a fleeting gap in the crowd, I had caught a glimpse of Kords and Kissa, holding each other's hands, and I took a quick step back into the stable door, hiding in case they saw me and tried to come in – I didn't want them involved in what looked like a nasty moment.

Pomma told me that the one man and his colleagues were surrounded within a heartbeat. She didn't know how, but all four were suddenly on the ground with circles of men around them. The one who appeared to be the leader started to get up but a gentle foot on his chest and a shake of the head eventually got the message through without a word being spoken. He opened his mouth to speak, but a finger to the lips and another shake of the head stopped him. He paled as the full significance of his position dawned.

Sookie pushed through until she was at his feet. She looked at him hard, and then just said: “Name?”

“Why should I tell you?”

“Oh, you don't have to. I have seen your face and I shall find out within a bell at the very most, what your name is. You have a choice, and dare I say it, one final chance to retrieve your problem situation. It starts with telling me your name. If you refuse, then you will have no chance left whatsoever.”

“I don't negotiate with whores.”

There was a sharp intake of breath from many of the surrounding men and then there was a distinct thump. He jerked as a boot hit his ribs.

“Hold! Don't strike him, or any of the others! Unless they try to get up that is. Just call the Sheriff and get him here as soon as possible. When he gets here, send him to me in my office.”

Someone must already have gone to fetch Fedren, because Sookie didn't have time to make it to her office. I judged enough time had passed for my sisters to move on, and besides which, I just HAD to be a witness, so I stuck my head out again round the door frame.

“Mistress Sukhana, what is happening here?”

“Good morrow, Sheriff. I confess I don't know. This man and his cronies have been rude and threatening for some reason, I know not why. My loyal men here took objection and have immobilised them.”

“Who are you?” demanded the ringleader.

“I am the Sheriff here, a term in this land that means I am the Watch Master. It is my job to keep the peace. And who are you?”

“I am one of the new construction team leaders, though why anyone wants to build so much in this ridiculous village, I know not. So just make them let me up, and then throw these whores into your keep.”

“Whores? We don't have whores here.”

“Of course you do, there were two of them walking down the Main Street flaunting themselves and they came here and joined that whore there.” The man was working himself back up into a rage again, but grunted when another boot met his ribs. “Did you see that? The whore's protectors ...” Another grunt as another boot landed again. The man kept silent, but was still fuming.

The Sheriff's voice took on a silky tone that anyone else but Master Stupid there would have recognised as dangerous: “What makes you think that they are whores?”

“Their short skirts and the way they sway their bottoms as they walk. It is obvious.”

“And would you say that anyone who wore a skirt like that was a whore?”

“Well of course they are. There can be no other interpretation. And the way that those skirts move as they sway when they are enticing us, just adds confirmation.”

“I see.” He held a hand up to Sookie who was about to explode, and she backed down a little, then suddenly she appeared to be almost grinning; I think she had a glimmering of what was about to come, although I was lost as to what the Sheriff was doing. He indicated to the men standing round not to kick the 'captives' any more and they reluctantly allowed the men to stand, but stayed circling them.

The Sheriff continued: “As for this ridiculous village, do you know to whom it belongs?”

“I was told that it belongs to some harlot of the King's to pay her off.” A gasp again came from many looking on.

“And who do you imagine is paying for your skills as a constructor?”

“I don't care. We was offered this job by a broker down to Tranidor – to come and work in this out-of-the-way dead-end shit-heap for a three-month contract. I had nothing else on and so I thought I might as well. But the people here are stupid, the town is ridiculous and the construction plans are a joke. The jobs to be done change every bell, it seems.”

“These other three, are they of like mind?”

“Of course. They are my chargehands. We can see that we need to get this place proper organised. There's obviously no-one capable in charge of anything here. We don't even have enough wood to burn to keep warm at night, and someone told us some ridiculous story of burning some rocks. We have had to use some of the construction wood just to keep warm at night. I am obviously going to have to take charge here, and the first thing I need to do is get rid of the things that take the men's minds off their work. I will rid the town first of these whores, then I shall find whoever thinks they're in charge and tell them what to do.”

“You have been here now how long, exactly?”

“We came into town two days ago. I like to come early to a work site if possible. The rest of my crew will be arriving today. I have a meeting apparently with the boss man this evening, but he was supposed to meet me last evening. Some little boy ran up to me yesterday and told me to have a day off and meet tonight. A little grubby boy. No proper welcome and chaos everywhere I look! Now enough questions of me, just lock these whores away and kick them out of town tomorrow.”

There was a distinct growl from the men around, but again the Sheriff held up his hand.

“Let these four come with me to the Watch House and I can then produce all the necessary but tedious documents.” He swung round on Sookie and her men, and put on a mock-ferocious voice: “I shall see that the right steps are taken to remove this stain from the town.”

The four men nodded as they agreed with the Sheriff. They brushed themselves down, twitched their shoulders and sneered at everyone around.

“At last, someone sensible!”

Sookie whispered in the ears of two of her men, who nodded and they all grinned together.

The Sheriff beckoned to some of Sookie's men to follow him too, “to get their just rewards,” he said.

And so the four troublemakers happily followed the Sheriff up to the Watch House, followed by two hands of Sookie's men who were all trying to look dismayed.

By this time, everyone had understood what the Sheriff planned and all were trying to hide their grins.

Sookie later told me that the men she had sent had told her that the Sheriff led everyone into the Watch House and then stood back, letting the Claw men herd the four into two of his cells. Once the cells were locked, he swung on his heel and ushered everyone out, not saying a word – unlike the men who were calling and shouting and protesting.

And so it was, that FINALLY we three women, and Parry, got to saddle the frayen (Parry was paired with Trumpa) and our first ride got under way. It was such a wonderful event.

For that first time, Pomma and I mounted in the relative privacy of the stable area, Parry having been banished for a moment or two (which was fortunate, because I did it all wrong to start with, and my skirts ended up all tucked up in the wrong places), and then we rode – we actually RODE! - out of the stables into the courtyard. Parry was waiting there and led us all to the paddock, across the new roadway using the quite thin strip of freshly laid surface stones to avoid churning up the levelled areas that were not yet finished.

I rapidly came to grips with the motion under me, and Dralla seemed to like the new arrangements too. Pomma, at first, felt uncomfortable until she got the hang of it. After that, we progressed famously, and Sookie was as pleased as I have ever seen her. But she wouldn't let us do too much, even though we both begged her for more.

“Your muscles will thank me, I promise you! Shall we go for a little ride then tomorrow? You come to me at the same time?”

“Oh, thank you Sookie. I shall definitely be here.”

“And I, I know how to get round old Waldan, so there won't be a problem.”

Thus my first time astride came to an end, far too soon as far as I was concerned.

We didn't care what the reactions to our attire were as we walked back up Main Street to the Saddler's. Our delight was written clear upon our faces and we analysed every one of our feelings of that momentous morning as we went, so we were far too engrossed to be aware of anything going on around us!

… … …

“Most people are right-handed, just like your good selves, so therefore the drinking vessels are placed on the table to the right of the place setting. They are placed sufficiently far back, away from the person, to allow space for the food to be served between the person and the drinking vessel.”

The Captain's explanation was both simple and logical, and therefore easily understood – which in turn meant easily remembered.

“Now you, Mistress. May I show you a little demonstration? Or, more accurately, would you allow me to guide you through a small experience?”

“Of course, Captain,” I said somewhat nervously.

He placed a platter in front of me upon which rested a large slab of meat. He demonstrated how to serve an eater from the eater's right as he did so.

“Now please pick up your knife and cut the meat – but don't use any other tool.”

I tried this and of course it was near impossible. This is why we always use two knives, cutting in opposite directions at the same time. I knew this.

“Now, you would normally use another knife at this point, right?”

I nodded.

“Hold the meat still with the points of the fork, and then try again.”

I did so and was able to cut the meat easily now it didn't slide about. And I didn't have to balance the pressures of two opposing knives. And I found I could be far more accurate in the cutting. What simple, but wonderful devices these forks were!

“Do you see how you automatically dropped the knife from your left hand and picked up the fork with that hand? So the primary reason for the fork is simply to hold the piece steady whilst you cut it with the knife. Right-handers choose to use the knife in the right hand because the cutting is more skilled work than the simple holding. So that's why the fork is placed to the left of the place setting and the knife to the right.”

I nodded in complete understanding.

“We have not had forks long, and already there are some fierce arguments about how they should be used. Who is to say which way is right?! Once the first bite-sized piece has been cut off the original, that piece is already stabbed by the points of the fork. So it has to be removed from the fork, before the fork can be used again. There are really only two options available at this point.

“So some say to use the fork to immediately bring that piece to the mouth, as it is already ready to be consumed.

“But some find raising the fork to the mouth with the LEFT hand is unnatural and an awkward feeling. Personally, I have learnt to do it that way and now it feels normal. And I at least get my first few bites of hot, or at least warm, food.

“So anyway, these other people say that what you should do is first cut up the entire piece into bite-sized pieces and then transfer the fork to the right hand and use it naturally to convey the food to the mouth – just as we used to drop the right hand knife and take up the spoon. I find that cutting the entire piece first into numerous bites leads to only consuming lukewarm food due to the time taken to do the cutting operation.

“But whichever way you decide to use your forks, we all agree that it should be set to the left of the place setting.”

M and I nodded to show we understood.

“Food is always served to the eater from the right, again due to the right-handedness of most people. If anyone WERE to try to attack you from the right, then they would have to lunge from THEIR right across to their left. It is, just, easier to get a defence in. Or so the thinking went many hundreds of years ago. This tradition has stayed with us through the generations.

“Of course, if you are serving the fresh platter from the right, then the old platter of the last course needs be taken out of the way. Again, many generations ago, eaters had two servants assigned to them, so the other servant would remove the previous platter to make room for the new platter to be served. Which is why we have the tradition of REMOVING platters to the eater's left. Remove to the left and serve from the right, almost as though the eater was continuing a half-circle, from right to left.”

I had never before known all these secret traditions and I sat there fascinated, soaking up all that knowledge. Once I knew the background to it all, it all made sense, and was far easier to remember.

M and I were so grateful for the insights into how the nobles ate, and we agreed to maintain those traditions in the Salon.

The Captain then went on to mention meals that were of just a single dish, and meals that were of up to nine different ones, one after the other. And the consequent portion sizes and so on. He told us that a normal 'rounded' meal (that was the word he used to describe it – I would have said 'fulfilling') consisted down in Palarand itself of a starter of some sort, usually a soup, and then a light fish dish followed by the meat and vegetables and finished off with something sweet, usually some sort of fruit sweetened with vayter and/or honey.

“Of course,” he added, “being up here we will have to do without fish, but down there by the sea, fish is far more easily available. I would expect small avians would be the norm.”

M and I looked at each other and smiled, we would be able to surprise them after all. This meal wouldn't be from small avians – unless I got the cooking totally wrong and we had to go to the reserve menu. And then I flashed back to that Foti dish Swayga had made us. And made a mental note to tell M about it once we left. Now THAT would really surprise and delight them. I hugged myself in glee as I planned on a four-course meal.

We gained much from the kind lessons of the Captain and Master Mesulkin and were delighted when Master Mesulkin was also to be included in the guest list for The Dinner, as we both thought of it.

When we had learnt as much as they had to teach us, conversation changed.

Eventually, the Captain asked me how the riding went. My face gave him a large part of the answer.

“I remember seeing a face like that before. When Mylady Merizel learnt, AND when Sookie learnt.”

“It wasn't too pleasant to start with though …”

And so I went on to describe the kerfuffle, but trying to make more of a joke of it. It was only when his face went like thunder, that I remembered his rank in the town's affairs. He was most indignant about the discomforts that we had suffered, but I think he reserved his anger for when I described the culprit's response to the Sheriff's question about anyone with skirts so short being whores.

“They called Mylady Garia a whore? I shall see they are well and truly whipped.”

It wasn't until he said it that I realised that indeed they had, indirectly, called her a whore – and why the Sheriff had asked that particular question in that way. I can be so stupid sometimes.

Then when I tried to make light of them not understanding that coal could be used to heat homes, his face darkened even more.

“They have been stealing the town's property and BURNING it? I shall definitely have to deal with them harshly.”

Again, I suddenly realised that yes, they had been doing that. And I admired the Sheriff for getting them to say so in front of so many witnesses.

M then made a suggestion that made us all giggle – well, the rest were men so they chuckled of course, I was the only giggler. Even Master Mesulkin, who had cringed when the subject of the cells came up, actually laughed out loud with glee.

“Maybe the Sheriff should borrow one of those new little heating ranges and install it just outside of their cells, stoke it with coal and get the whole place uncomfortably hot. THAT would teach them about burning rocks.”

And so the mood was broken, back to the friendly chatting of before.

… … …

M was delighted when I mentioned the Foti and my now decided four-course meal. We would start with a light soup made from Ganifil, follow that with the Foti dish, then the big Gavakhan ribs and vegetables. We could finish off with the Malm and Vayter. (S)he laughingly acknowledged that that would surprise them indeed and so the final menu was chosen.

(S)he escorted me to Malet and Kelly's where the three girls were gathered, waiting for us to come and report on our findings. They sat fascinated as we described what the Captain had told us, and we did a few practices setting places and serving imaginary dishes. All in all, a valuable bell or two of practice.

M got up to leave, announcing that he (for he had to be a he in front of these others) would take a trip down to the roadhouse tomorrow morning early, and try to arrange for the Foti. He would leave soon after dawn and should be back by dusk. I made a mental note to tell Swayga this, just in case she had anything to send her brother, or wanted anything from him. We all waved goodbye to M, and I noticed Gyth particularly studying him closely as he left. She was the only other one who knew his secret. M noticed the studying (I had of course told him that I had told Gyth as soon as I had done so) and came to a decision.

“Julina, I must go now to a prior engagement, but I believe the time is right. Would you please tell them all once I have gone? Usual conditions, of course.”

Malet was busy elsewhere as I gathered the girls around me and told them of M's secret and so on. They all gasped with the surprise of it, and started chattering loudly until I reminded them that it was a secret. Not even Malet was to know. They had been told only because we would all be working closely together in the near future.

They all agreed to maintain the secret, swearing an oath each never to reveal it.

Molly was fetched by her mother to go and do some errands and chores and Kelly and Gyth escorted me back to my home, where I was met still with some sullenness from my two nearest sisters, but with particular delight from the boys. I knew that meant they wanted me to do most of their chores, but I was in a good mood and let them think they had tricked me into it.

Not that all the chores got done, mind you.

“Where's Trumpa?” came a loud demand from the doorway to the kitchen.

This was followed by an avalanche of children screaming “Papa! Papa!” at the tops of their voices.

They nearly knocked him over as they rushed to him. Swayga and I hung back, and so did Kords after starting to join the melee. She took the opportunity of the diversion to give me a quick hug and whispered a “Sorry” to me, so I hugged her back to show her I wasn't mad at her any more. But I knew the lesson had been learnt without any major tears and so was content to let the matter lie.

The children were all still talking nineteen to the dozen and all trying to explain their important events to Papa all at the same time. He gathered them to him and hugged them to himself whilst looking over their heads, first at Swayga, then at Kords and I. We all blew him kisses and he smiled, reserving his warmest one for Swayga it seemed, but we weren't upset at all by this.

Swayga and I looked at each other to see which of us would be the one to start to try to calm the chaos down. I signed to her that that was now her job, with a big grin which she returned, with a thank you. Kords and I turned and went to make some pel, as …

“Right children, let your father come in and sit down and rest after his journey. You will each have a chance to tell him all your news, all this chaos is just giving him a headache.”

Slowly they dispersed from entangling his legs, realising the sense of Swayga's words. This was the start of the calming down period.

It was a full bell later that I had my turn to give him all the news and I dragged him off to show him all the important stuff that was required, leaving the others in the house amidst several disgruntled complaints.

I showed him the new house and he was amazed at the development already – and was equally as struck by the windows as I had been. We had brought Judd with us and delivered him to the stables. Papa was then amazed at the attitudes of the animals there and what I termed the 'feeding frenzy' as I doled out titbits to the now five animals with whom I was familiar. He was shocked at first, but then quite admiring when I told him I had started riding. He also approved of Trumpa being exercised regularly, and made a point of thanking Parry who we bumped into as he was just setting off to his home.

We then walked up Main Street together to the campingplace and I pointed out all the changes. Yet again, he was amazed at the pace of change. But frowned at something of which he didn't approve. He didn't tell me what it was, but I knew him well enough that I knew immediately he had found some fault.

Whilst in the town, we met Master Bezan so Papa asked him how Papa could best give his report. The upshot of this was that Masters Bezan and Yarling would come to dinner tomorrow night and Papa could do it then.

Thus was it all agreed and we went home for a joyful evening and some fun story telling. Later, when the young ones were off connected to the moon, Kords, Swayga and I spoke more seriously, and Papa approved of my edict about going round accompanied, particularly after I told them all about all my awkward encounters. Kords got thoughtful when I revealed the full extent of my misadventures and squeezed me once more.

I did remember to tell Papa that we had switched to the two sleep system, and he acknowledged the sense of it and his acceptance of it.

So we retired for the night, the house once more full and with a feeling of contentment pervading it.


up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Blackstone back on the Map!

Glad to see this episode of JoB as I'm about to wear my patience (tapping) foot out awaiting more adventures. I believe you have another chapter up your sleeve too. I can't wait for this adventure to continue.

Best,

DJ

Social disruption

Sheriff is going to need even more deputies sooner than later.

There will always be conservative social reactionaries who just knee jerk reacts to any change. Conservatives when give to free of a hand would smother change at every turn if they could. That construction crew is the sort who would become like Trogan's gang if they could.

Problem at this point is that new laws have to come on the books faster I suspect. The Steward can only do so much as Garia has the clout so she needs to keep close tabs on the growing pains of her demesne.