The Angry Mermaid 114 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 114

Printer-friendly version

The Angry Mermaid.

Drustina finally returns to Ethelred, the Saxon King of Wessex where they finalise their plans to defend against the anticipated Viking invasions. Chester (or the old Roman fortress city of Deva is deemed to be the most likely place where Harald Cold-blood will attack.

The Angry mermaid 114
Or
Y Morforwyn Dicllon 114.

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/chester-eng-c...

Ancient Roman fort at Deva.

Chester Roman Fort.jpg

Compare how the original roman walls match the modern day surviving medieval walls. Chester was a huge major Roman fort, possibly one of the largest in the whole Roman empire.

Chester today showing intact walls..png

The finding and revelation of Sadraw’s hoard of food plus the evidence that he had stored not olive oil but camphene in the town’s warehouse was enough to turn the townspeople against Sadraw. Especially when they realised that Sadraw should have stored his camphene in his own warehouse and stored his hoard of corn in the town granary. That way he would not have endangered and indeed destroyed the townspeople’s winter store.

The suspicion that he might have been deliberately careless grew from possibility to probability and those suspicions were enough convince the townspeople that even without hard proof of malicious intent, Sadraw should not have placed his spirit store in the town granary. Udris also let it be known that if he was elected chief, the old and still valid laws of two years grace to clear a food or harvest debt would be reinstated and enforced.

This last edict was enough and Udris was elected with an overwhelming majority. Drustina stayed only long enough to see Udris elected as chief and thus ensure his support when she came the following year in the spring to gather a fleet to hopefully meet with the Vikings and, if successful, finally rid her own and the Hibernian lands of the Viking yoke. Her parting words left Udris in no doubt of his debt.

“I would suggest you build as many ships as you can and prepare for war. We must clear our islands of this damned scourge once and for all.”

~o00o~

“Udris still stood thoughtfully on the dock even as Drustina’s flotilla disappeared around the headland bound up the Britannia channel for Sotona and Winchester the capital of Wessex. Then he spun around to attend to his first council as the new chief. His first duty was a pleasant one as he handed out penalties to Sadraw that pleased a population who had been in debt to the usurer. He was ruled guilty of negligence for storing a dangerous spirit where the town’s only store of essential winter food was held. He was made to forfeit his own hoard as compensation to the townsfolk and farmers who had lost their stored food in the fire.

Throughout the whole time Udris sat in judgement, he found himself constantly thinking of the Lioness and wondering ... ‘what would she do? How would she handle this? Would she let the council take a vote or would she have made the decision herself'?

By the end of his first session Udris was exhausted and as he sat slumped by his hearth, he stared into the flames reflecting on the burden of leadership. With each new, lonely thought he found himself respecting the Lioness more and more. As he placed some more logs on the fire he was disturbed by a slow shuffled footfall and he turned to find Thurion his uncle’s old chamberlain. Udris grinned partly with relief and partly because he had company. The old man croaked hoarsely.

“You did well in the council chamber Udris. The people respected you counsel.”

“Thank you Thurion. And now here I sit, alone at my hearth while others celebrate their release from debt and penury.”

“It’s lonely at the top Udris your uncle always ...”

“Oh you don’t have to tell me that Chamberlain. The Lioness taught me that long ago. Every time I spoke in there, her words kept echoing in my mind.”

“Yes. You had a fine teacher. The tall Saxon has a diamond for a wife.”

“And he has a dazzling diadem for a leader. I hope I can emulate her in my own small way.”

“Would you eat alone tonight or join me with my wife.”

Udris sagged.

“Yes, I would welcome that It would be nice to have company, wise company that is; somebody whom I can trust. Thank you. “

The old chamberlain nodded then added.

“My bones are getting old, I’ll give you what advice I can but I cannot advise you on taking a wife.”

Udris was startled at the old man’s perspicacity.

“What made you think of that?! How did you know what I was thinking?”

“That’s why I am deemed wise Udris. I served your uncle for many a year. I saw you there as I entered, staring into the flames, pensive and wistful. You were lonely and I’m betting you’re missing the Lioness’s company.”

“I’m missing them all Chamberlain. We were a fine band, loyal and true. She is a wonderful leader; we would follow her through hell and back.”

“And now you want for a wife, a wife like her; a wife to warm your lonely bones tonight. There are plenty of women of respectable birth here in the town. Shall I make inquiries?”

Udris wagged his head.

“Naaah. I don’t want a comely wench just to bear my children and warm my bones. I want a wife like the Lioness.”

Thurion smiled and wagged his head.

“You’re not asking for much are you?”

“Oh there’s one, I met her in Wessex; she’s a ward of the Lioness, an orphan and a victim. Just the sort of girl the Lioness reaches out to help ... and no, she’s not the Viking princess, pretty though Gisela is; it’s not her.”

“Dare I ask?”

“Not now, when I go to Wessex in the spring I’ll make my offer to her then. There are a lot of loose ends to be tied up before we gather our forces for war. Ships to build for instance.”

“War!” Thurion sighed wearily. “Is it to be war again?”

“Until the Viking question is settled it will always be war. The Lioness presents our finest opportunity yet to rid these islands of the robber thanes of Norvegia. Dumnoniia will never be free of the threat.”

“Thurion changed the subject.”

“How many ships do you hope to build?”

Udris poked the fire.

“I’ll be happy if I can add a couple of mermaids. They’ll add usefully to our current fleet. I’m just glad we can muster enough ships not to embarrass ourselves. The loss of my cousin’s ship and my three cousins was a big enough disaster.”

Thurion nodded sadly.

“They overloaded their ship trying to get enough grain to feed the whole town. It was a huge loss in every respect, good men, good food and a sound fighting ship. I’m only glad you turned up in the nick of time. My books show you could easily afford to build three and possibly even four ships.”

Udris sighed.

“Naa-aah! We are going to have to repair the stone barn and also build another one. We don’t want another disaster like Sadraw’s oil. The new barn’s a necessity and it has to be well separated from the old one to avoid both catching firs or flooding or whatever. That’s going to cost the public purse a pretty penny.”

Thurion smiled philosophically.

“Spoken like a true chief. You’ve learned the first lesson of statesmanship. It’s all about the money.”
Udris grinned and as he rose from the hearth.

“And I always thought Penderol spent too much of his time in the counting house. Now I know why.”

“More taxes my chief?”

The irony in Thurion’s remark was not lost on Udris as he choked back a snort.

“Not bloody yet Chamberlain. Let me have at least one day of popularity with the townspeople!”

They strolled across the square to surprise Thurion’s wife. For a moment she was all prepared to scold her hapless spouse until she realised their guest was the new chief.

“Why didn’t you warn me he was coming?” She demanded angrily of Thurion while simultaneously turning to Udris and ushering him in with a smile.

Thurion tried to explain to his wife.

“I didn’t know he was coming until a few moments ago. How could I warn you dear?”

“That’s no excuse! You must have been expecting to have him as a guest if you went to see him without him expecting you!”

The bizarre logic left even Thurion floundering as he turned and shrugged apologetically to his new chief.

“Are you sure you still want a wife Udris?”

~o00o~

While Udris savoured the warmth of his chamberlain’s hearth and dined on the bounty of Thurion’s table, his companions bound for Sotona were enduring the first snows of the winter. The north-westerly gale pressed hard to their sails and the ships at least were steadied by the constant pressure of the wind. Fortunately the seas were not too large either, for the southern coast of Britain gave them a weather shore with little fetch that enabled them to drive close inshore to avoid any larger waves. However the northerly component brought cold arctic air and penetrating snow-born winds that bit deep even through their thick leather coats. Drustina shortened the watches from four to two hours so that men were not frozen to the bone and made incapable by the cold. Even so all of them cursed the penetrating chill and were grateful to return to the leather shelters amidships. Anything to escape the biting ague that only a warm dry bed could cure. Fortunately the broad reach gave them good speed and two days later a chilled but elated band of sailors arrived at the Solanta narrows and gratefully secured their ships in the safe harbour that Sotona offered.

“Tha ... thank the gods that’s over!” Drustina cursed. “Bugger sailing in winter, bugger the snow, bugger the cold, and bugger the ice! I’m for a hot stew and a warm dry bed.”

This was a sentiment unanimously shared by all and as soon as their ships were secured, all the men set about finding shelter from the snow and wind. The water front of Sotona had grown with the advent of ‘Pax Drustina’ in Southern Britannia and several large inns had been built

Drustina initially planned to spend the first day ashore in a warm dry inn before she and her companions were ready to face the trudge through the snow from Sotona to Winchester. However, when the weather closed in again, they decided to wait out the storm and eventually they remained in Sotona for a week kicking their warm but idle heels. Drustina was glad of the rest and spent most of her time availing herself of her Saxon spouse. Warm beds, loving cuddles and full bellies were always to be preferred over cold marches, lonely nights and hard battles. Eventually however, the storm blew it’s self out and as the skies cleared to produce a rich blue celestial sphere, the companions hastened to set forth upon the road. There was no knowing when the next storm would sweep in from the north.

They hired horses to make better progress through the snow and Drustina was pleased to feel the hard clip-clop of a metalled road under the soft snow. It told her that King Ethelred had taken her words to heart and set about improving the roads. There was also a new inn half way between Sotona and Winchester. It was a welcome break from the snow and cold. Drustina decided to overnight there.

The next day they arrived in Winchester in the early afternoon. After a euphoric reunion with her sister Tara, her children and Symone, Drustina reported to King Ethelred in his castle. She was pleased to also meet Althred who had been newly promoted to Saxon admiral. In Ethelred’s private chambers, Drustina and her commanders revealed all their intelligences about the discontent among the native Celtic peoples of Hibernia. Ethelred was relieved upon two counts.

Firstly he knew that with Drustina on his side he could be fairly sure at least of Celtic neutrality; if not outright support. Secondly Drustina’s own skills would add enormously to his military strengths. After two days of talks, Ethelred was much happier and more confident about facing the Vikings. Most importantly, he had some vital extra intelligence about Harald Coldblood’s plans to attack either at Deva or Nottingham. Drustina gave her own opinion.

“My gut feeling is that it will be Deva your majesty.”

“We call it Chester now; Deva was the old Roman name. Any particular reasons why you think it will be Chester?” Ethelred asked.
Drustina listed them.

“Chester is a port, Harald will be able to ferry his Scottish and Irish Vikings right up to the gates of the city and attack without a long arduous march. He can rest his own men on the Wirral Peninsular after they had marched over the mountains from Yorvik. What’s more he can supply his armies by sea from either rivers ... The Dee or The Mersey.”

Ethelred wasn’t yet convinced and he said so.

“But Chester is a huge impregnable fortress. The city itself has massive stone walls and the old Roman fortress of Deva is a huge stone fort and still intact. The Romans knew a thing or two about building forts and Deva is the biggest fortress in Britannia. Chester is the key to controlling Northern Cambria, the Celtic seas and the routes to Hibernia. Harald will have Hell’s own delight trying to capture Chester. Nottingham would be a far easier target.”

“Exactly Eth’.” Drustina explained. “But he doesn’t have to capture it does he. All he has to do is lay siege the city and the fortress to prevent the garrison sallying forth. Then he can bypass the city and spread out to the south over the flat plains of Cheshire. Once he captures the plains of Cheshire he will have ample food and supplies to sit out a siege and starve Chester into submission.

If Harald can eventually capture Deva or Chester as you call it, he controls the routes all the way into Western Mercia and even Northern Wessex, not to mention the Cambrian marches. It is the key to his expanding into the rest of Britannia using land forces. It is flat land all the way from Deva and New Sarum to The Cotswold borders of Wessex. If you are to hold Britannia, you must hold Deva or Chester as you prefer to call it.”

“Shall we call it Chester and avoid any more confusion?”

“Alright”, Drustina agreed, “but I cannot emphasise the importance of holding Chester. The very name itself tells of its importance. All your other Saxon ‘Chester’s’ have got prefixes, Colchester, Rochester, Chichester, Manchester, even your own capital city Winchester; but Chester is Chester. It stands alone as the essential key to Northern and Middle Britannia. The Romans knew it, Harald knows it. Remember the strategy of chess. They that hold the centre control the board. So it is with war.”

Ethelred nodded sagely.

“That’s a good argument to put to Edrinor the Mercian King. He’ll be loath to send his army across the Pennines without good cause. He is rightfully concerned about the security of Nottingham and his own kingdom of Mercia.”

“When Harald can call upon the Viking king of Scotland and the Viking King of Dublin he will have men enough to hold all of northern and middle Britannia. He will be able to lay siege to Chester while simultaneously fighting elsewhere in Middle Britannia. Edrinor’s kingdom will cease to exist as a Mercian stronghold. Your task will be made almost impossible. It is imperative you hold Chester and stop Harald thereabouts. Once he breaks out, you’ll have hell’s own job containing him.”

A fearful silence settled over the meeting as Ethelred digested the facts. The more he thought about it the more he felt forced to agree. He frowned as he contemplated his having to prepare for war and march north almost as soon as the snows had melted.
Having wearily concluded that war was inevitable, Ethelred wasted no time marshalling his resources which were substantial. As a Saxon, he found strong allies in Saxony and Friesia and even in Gaul for all these nations were weary of the Viking raids and robbery. Even if the fast warships were constrained by the winter gales; the stout high-sided merchant ships with covered holds were still able to trade in all but the worst storms. Throughout the winter. Men and materials kept accumulating in Wessex as Ethelred amassed a huge army and laid in supplies along the route north so his armies could travel light and quickly to reach Chester in the middle of Spring at the latest.

Drustina and Althred for their part prepared the fleet and constantly improved the training and communications so that ships could communicate whilst fighting at sea. Gisela took a considerable interest in this for she suspected that if Ethelred won, she could well end up as the Saxon envoy to Norvegia once a peace was finally and permanently established. Ships, trade and communications would be vital components in maintaining that peace.

~o00o~

In the late winter Drustina was both surprised and pleased to learn that Udris had decided to visit Sotona with a couple of his ships including his own Mermaid class flagship. Drustina was working with Althred training signallers in the Solanta when they espied the familiar sail approaching past The Needles rocks. The new signalling capability proved to provide an excellent exchange of information as Drustina signalled to Althred.

‘That sail is Familiar.’ Althred signalled.

‘Yes it’s Udris from Dumnoniia!’ Drustina replied as excitement overtook her and she abandoned the signalling lesson to go racing towards her old comrade.

Once they were within hailing distance they quickly exchanged greetings and news.

“Where’s Carl?” Asked Udris.

“Training with Ethelred’s army and the ships in Sotona. With the plans we have formulated there will be some needs for the army and the navy to communicate. Carl is supervising the army. Althred and I are exercising out here.”

“Shall we go to Sotona, I wish to go to Winchester.”

“Certainly! I’ll race you!”

Udris needed no encouragement and immediately the two ships were hurtling up the Solanta bound for Sotona. Immediately they were ashore, Drustina located Carl and they found Heliox supervising construction work on the building stocks. An ecstatic reunion followed then they turned in early for an early start for Winchester was anticipated the following morning.

~~oo000oo~~

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Progress

Slow but in the right direction. Just waiting for some church types to show up and mess things up again.