Julina of Blackstone - 022 - Ripples and Reflections From A Bully

Printer-friendly version

Julina's day starts in a strange way – and doesn't get much less strange as it progresses

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

022 - Ripples and Reflections From A Bully


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
022 – Ripples and Reflections From A Bully

Another day, another start – all perfectly normal, unaffected by any events near or far.

But that didn't last long.

Before we had finished our breakfasts even, there was the sound of an animal drawing up outside. Papa opened the door before whoever it was had a chance to knock.

“Master Fedren.”

“Master Kordulen. My apologies, but may I have a word with Mistress Julina. You will understand this is urgent.”

I was already walking towards the door when Papa called for me.

And so was everyone else in the household, judging by the number and volume of noises behind me.

I was naturally intrigued by this unnatural turn of events, and so I can't really blame the others for being equally inquisitive, but I felt somehow as if my privacy was being invaded – as did Papa, who shooed everyone away, leaving me relatively alone.

“Mistress Julina, good morrow.”

“Sheriff, good morrow to you. How may I be of assistance?”

“An unforeseen event has taken place. I am aware that you are, how shall I put it, less occupied these days and would beg your presence in the Watch House. We had occasion to detain some women last night and I need a feminine presence to maintain the proprieties until we can get something else sorted out. Already Suril and I are overwhelmed with the males we have to deal with – it never occurred to us that we might need some females as well. I need to recruit two more males and get them trained, and now some females too.”

“Ah! I believe that I under...”

“Sheriff, shall she be in any danger? She is yet a minor do not forget, albeit for a mere week or two. Nevertheless ...”

“Oh no, Master Kordulen. The women are all contained and shall be released in a bell or two. But I need to take down particulars like names and so on and it wouldn't be seemly if there were not another woman present. As it was, Suril, Haka and I had to erect a tarpaulin between the women's cell and the neighbouring one, and then move the men from that one into a third some distance away, causing a certain degree of overcrowding.”

“Very well. Julina and I shall call upon you at the Watch House as swiftly as we might. Until then!”

“My thanks Master and also to you Mistress.”

With that, the Sheriff swiftly remounted and went back to the town centre.

I scuttled about finding my best available dress and getting Swayga and Kords to help with my hair and so on. It was scarce a quarter of a bell later that Papa and I set forth across the bare ground, taking the direct way. This was slower going as we had to pick our way across the uneven terrain, but the slowness was balanced by the shortness of the journey and I would estimate we saved maybe five moments by going that way.

We walked in - and nearly walked out again!

The women were screeching at the top of their lungs, and complaining about the lack of facilities. We could only hear them though, the Sheriff had given them some privacy by mounting a tarpaulin on two sides of their cell – the other two sides being solid walls.

I looked at the Sheriff and he looked at me, pleadingly. I nodded back to him, but signed that he had to make an announcement.

He went over and banged a hand on the tarpaulin to attract attention, and then he yelled above the barely diminished noise from the women. Eventually he managed to get over the message that he had fetched a woman to help both the inmates and himself.

With a great deal of nervousness, I pulled the edge of the front curtain to one side.

… … ...

“Phew!”

Papa and the Sheriff both laughed, but it was a relieved laugh. The Watch House cells were once again empty and the opened windows were airing the place out – a necessary operation after the waste bucket in the women's cell had been spilled as the women scrambled to be first heard when I pulled the curtain back.

“That story the women told – did you believe them?” Papa asked Master Fedren.

“Well they had had all night to concoct a tale, so it was to be expected in one way that their complaints would be similar. And yet there was just enough variety for me to think that maybe they had been telling the truth. What were your thoughts, Mistress?”

“I am inclined to believe them. I confess that that name Battona has been mentioned amongst us girls before, and usually as a trouble-maker. I think you're going to need a separate house for the women to be locked up in, and you're going to need some female deputies, I think that's the word you used to describe Suril?”

The Sheriff sat back in his chair and put his boots up on a corner of his table. He puffed his cheeks out and was obviously replaying the events of the morning though his head.

I had replaced the curtain very quickly and turned back to the Sheriff.

“Sheriff, I believe you have indicated that the six men there in the end cell are going to be released today? I would suggest that you do that at the very soonest. And then send an urchin or someone to fetch Mistress Grizanthet. She is the first name I can think of who has very little to do nowadays. I am going to need some help here.”

“Very well. I shall start immediately.”

“Give me two moments please before you let any of the men out.”

I turned back to the curtain, took a deep breath and went into full angry mother mode. I saw out of the corner of my eye my father wince slightly but didn't let that distraction stop my momentum – I just filed it away for later consideration.

I think it was a shock to the women to be addressed by someone so young in such a scolding way and they stopped their noise quite quickly. I got them to tell me their names while they were still quite shocked, and then I settled them down and asked them if they were happy for me to draw the curtain back a little, bearing in mind there were two men left in the room, and that the men in the other cell were about to be released.

I received their permission and drew the curtain back slightly, trying not to react too strongly to the smell. The men were not quite so controlled.

I told Papa to get another urchin to run up to M's and fetch him as well as some cleaning cloths, a swab and two buckets. Then I gave the women the bad news that THEY would be cleaning up the mess they had made. It was quite simple to get them to see sense, as I told them they would all stay there until it was done. At first they tried to lay the blame on one of them but I stopped them by treating them as naughty children and they subsided. I could see both men turn their backs and I knew that Papa was laughing, because I know him so well, and I suspect that Master Fedren was as well. He had suddenly developed a bit of a cough and a splutter.

Papa went over to the six men in their one cell and growled something at them before letting one of them out and leading him over to the Sheriff's table.

The Sheriff called him by his name, told him off for disturbing the peace and said he didn't want to see him again. He fined him three soos, about which the man complained.

“Ok, I'll change it then. The fine is now – one fenik.”

“Now wait a moment, that's more! That's the same as four soos. I can get a meal for that! All I did was punch a man a bit.”

“And wake up your neighbours. And try to punch me. It will go up a soo for every complaint about it. You want to try for a fenik and a soo?”

The man grumbled but paid up. And Papa then ushered him out, closing the main door before going over to get the next man from the cell – giving the Sheriff time to write up the paperwork.

Just then the door opened.

I spun round expecting to see M or Grizanthet, but it was Suril, back from whatever task he had been performing. His eyes opened in surprise as he saw Papa and I standing there, but the Sheriff quickly brought him up to the necessary state of knowledge, and it was Suril who went to let out the next man.

It was obvious that the men had been muttering a plan amongst themselves and I suspected they would try to burst out all together. But the three men outside the cell were aware of the danger and let them know there would be trouble if they did that. The men were ordered to the back of their cell and just one selected man was allowed to approach the cell door. Suril turned the key and they all charged at that moment.

But Suril had not actually turned the key and the one in front was crushed up against the bars, quite painfully, as they all rushed to the supposedly open door. He cried out in anger at the others.

Then the Sheriff picked up some loops of rope from a desk drawer and approached the cell. He made them all put their hands through the bars and he tied the hands together on four of them. They were then in no position to make a charge.

So the potential rebellion was nipped in the bud, and the next man was led to the desk.

The sequence of events was similar, but this man's fine was heavier.

“Three soos for disturbing the peace, three soos for breaking the leg of a valued worker required here and a further soo for attempting to escape. Finally a soo for threatening me or my deputy. Two feniks in all. An extra soo if the fine is not paid immediately. That is a soo for every day late in paying. Your works supervisor will be informed and he will deduct it from your pay if you don't honour your debt.”

The man grudgingly handed over the coin and left muttering.

The next was similar but had an extra soo added for being a repeat offender.

Eventually all the men were released, but not before both M and Grizanthet had arrived.

I explained to M that at least one of the women would need at least a shower and asked if he could make some hot water available. He was amenable - “just this once” - and escorted the women to his place after their release.

But first, I had made the women scrub the floor of their cell, and clean out the bucket using the little room attached to the main room. Then we dealt with them individually, one woman at a time in front of the Sheriff as he took down their names, the names of their partners and where they lived.

He fined each a single soo, plus a soo for M's hot water.

One, however, burst into tears, explaining that her man didn't give her an allowance. She covered her face with her hands as she sobbed, and we all sucked in a breath as her extensive bruising was revealed on her forearms. The others confirmed her story, so the Sheriff just said that he would charge her man.

There was a look of sheer terror on the woman's face when he said that, and the others hastily scraped together two more soos for her.

Mistress Grizanthet and I shared a meaningful glance and we knew we had to help this poor woman, Vittima. We were not sure that the men had understood the significance of her story, but we knew that we had to get the Women's Circle involved somehow, if nothing happened soon. We recognised she was in great danger. We had heard of such tragedy before but never expected to have to meet it face to face. My brain was whizzing, trying to find a solution to something that was very complex.

Just then, the main door swung open again and we had no chance to discuss it as Master Bezan strode in, coming to an abrupt halt when he saw we women standing there.

After the usual greetings, we explained what had happened to the Sheriff and why he needed my help. It was then my turn to explain why I had asked for Mistress Grizanthet.

“Yours, Mistress, was the first name that shot into my head as I was aware that you have been looking for something to do for some while. It occurred to me that you know a portion of the town's inhabitants far better than I do and therefore between us we could probably have some knowledge of nearly all the females. Thus we could maybe make some suggestions to the Sheriff here to help him get started.

“Master Bezan, it is perhaps fortunate that you have arrived as I can tell you straight away that there will need to be another room or building for the Sheriff to house his overnight 'guests' that are female. Regretfully, we females need access to toilet facilities more frequently than do men. A privy will be necessary to avoid the less than pleasant events of this morning. Also, it is extra work for the Sheriff to have to erect a tarpaulin each time a rowdy woman needs to be 'cooled down'.”

All the men were a little taken aback by my forthright speech, but they did accept that I was right and Master B sighed deeply: “Another building project! And I suppose this has to be top priority as well as all the others?”

“Let us discuss this tomorrow night at the Assembly.”

The Sheriff and Master B agreed to that and then the latter said, almost casually: “Master Kordulen? Perhaps you should also attend the evening as we have to discuss your report and it may be handy to have you there should there be any questions. It is why I came here from the Steward's house. I had been told you were here so I thought to invite you for tomorrow and also to ask you if you have any knowledge on another matter.”

I slapped my head and tutted loudly. All the men looked at me and I just said: “Any more you want me to cook for? I tell you now that we are reaching our limit. We have already begun the preparation of the food and to add extra mouths would be awkward. This you will remember is not a restaurant as such, and food is SUPPOSED to be ordered several days in advance, for a fixed number of eaters.”

“Oh! I had forgotten that! My apologies, Mistress. Would it be possible to fit in a further two? The Captain wishes to ask Mistress Lendra to attend also, as he has some questions for her and felt that she could be of assistance.”

I sighed theatrically, but gave a sharp retort: “But no more, clear? And it is your job to go and tell Master Michen. You may report that I have said I can squeeze an extra two mouths in. He will have to find the seating and utensils and so on. Now I have to return home and change for my riding lesson so can we please get on with finding female deputies for the Sheriff?”

“Ah, Mistress Julina. I was hoping to prevail upon you to fit in some riding lessons for Suril here at some time. I can see that most, if not all, my deputies will have to be able to ride, just to get about quicker than on foot.”

I looked at Papa and mouthed 'Trumpa?' and he nodded.

“Certainly Sheriff. But now we need to discuss females,” I repeated firmly.

I indicated to Mistress Grizanthet to take the lead.

“Sheriff, Masters Bezan and Kordulen, Master Suril, I would like to start by saying that I have been thinking about this since I came in response to Julina's call for assistance. From what I have seen here this morning, Mistress Julina has summed up the situation well. I will state that recently my husband, Master Boxklee, and I have been looking to sell our herd of pakh and do something else now we are 'getting on'. I had thought maybe to help Mistress Megrozen, usually called Mistress Epp, but maybe Mistress Gramobona would rather not be too crowded, as she too is cutting down on her work and going to help Mistress Epp. It is apparent that you require an assistant to deal with the paperwork, Master Fedren, and it is something that Master Boxklee could do quite easily. I also propose myself to do a similar administrative duty for your female staff. This is something that I can do readily. I therefore commence by stating that myself and my man put ourselves forward for consideration.

“As regards your female deputies, then I believe that you should define the duties first. Are they simply to be kept in the Watch House, or do they also have power of arrest? If the latter, then can they also arrest men? That might be somewhat awkward in many cases! Maybe you should have patrols just walking around, showing a presence, two females with a man as well as single man patrols? However, I would suggest you know your own business better than I.”

“Excellent thinking, Mistress. I will consider what you have said very carefully and let you know as soon as I can. I expect we will have an answer from the Assembly tomorrow evening. There will need to be approval of wages for administrative staff. And you are right with regard to defining duties. I imagine that you would have differing suggestions for people depending upon the duties that are to be done?”

“Certainly. One woman springs immediately to mind for someone for in-house duties. And that is that woman who was here earlier – Vittima. She needs to get away from that brute of a man as soon as possible; Neerkel was his name I believe. He is obviously hitting her and she lives in fear of him. She needs security and to be protected from such a bully. We women almost expect a certain amount of 'correction' as you men call it, and for some it is indeed justified. Once we are married, then society tells us we are the property of our men – a state of affairs that is at times vastly unfair. However, the best marriages are those where the two work as a team, as Boxklee and I do. That marriage is far, far, far from that ideal. I tell you now, that man has overstepped the boundaries as far as I am concerned, and I know of no other woman that could or would disagree with me. That Vittima would be perfect for your job, the job that you got Julina here for this morning. She would be highly motivated, and has experience of the other side of the matter as well. But she would need protecting from that brute somehow, which complicates the matter considerably.”

A thoughtful look settled on the faces of us all as we pondered that – there was a certain logic to it that grew the more we thought about it. The Sheriff began nodding first and soon we all were, all except Master Bezan who looked on in some confusion.

Mistress Grizanthet and I mentioned a few more names with little grunts of agreement as one or another of us thought about it.

Eventually, we were finished and the Sheriff thanked us after running once more through the list of our suggestions for confirmation of what we had said. There was one name he had forgotten to add so he did that and Mistress Grizanthet and I were finished.

Master Bezan could then ask Papa his further question: “Master Kordulen? Do you perchance know anything of the Little Lake farm?”

“Let me think. Little Lake. Little Lake. Ah, yes – it used to be called the Pond Farm, many years ago, when I was a lad. Isn't that the one close-up to the east wall of the valley. The one just by that narrow canyon where traces were found of the bandits?”

“Aye, Master. That is indeed it.”

“I haven't been there for some long while. Might I ask why you are asking? That way I might have some direction for my thoughts.”

“The farmer has just told the Captain that he would like to take advantage of Mylady's offer and depart southwards, so we must find an agreeable valuation.”

“Ah! I understand. Let me see. The canyon above is one of those that is narrow and is surprisingly drier than most. This is because the top of it tips the other way, so the water from the top, which is a lake really, flows away from the Bray valley. Thus there is little water flowing down this side under normal conditions – it changes of course in the rains.

“There is however a lake at the foot of the canyon and on the floor of the valley and a small stream from there runs down southwards, parallel to the valley 'wall', until it joins the stronger stream from the next canyon. There is a track that follows the stream's course.”

“Ah yes, I remember that from a ride we took with Mylady, and the lake comes back into focus too. A thick bed of reeds all around, if my recall is to be relied upon.”

“That is correct. It being so close to the valley side, then that farm gets little morning light, but basks in the evening sun. The soil is no better nor worse than anywhere else, but I should imagine that undersoil drainage is not too good, but there is a definite slope to the land. The lake, even though called 'little' is quite large in fact, I would guess it to be maybe 140 strides by 100, but more triangular in shape than round or square. I believe the entire farm is four or five dranatilis round the lake with another five or six in a rectangular component heading down towards the road. I can remember these details since my cousin was a tenant farmer down there for many years. I know not, of course, of any additions to or selling off of any portions since those far off days.”

“I thank you Master Kordulen. That has been most helpful, most helpful indeed. I feel it would be difficult to find another farmer to take that on, so we will have to think heavily upon it. It …”

“Why? It seems to me that this is something you are looking for!”

“I'm sorry, Mistress Julina. Why am I looking for a farm such as this?”

“Mistress Swayga's idea? Somewhere to encourage fish to breed?”

“Oh Maker! What a tremendous idea. I apologise for not thinking of that. I was going to check out the Blackstone below the dam for that and it just never occurred to me to connect it with this farm. Once again, Mistress Julina, I am in your debt.”

And so it was that our meeting broke up and Papa and I dashed home so I could change into my riding attire.

… … ...

We went down to the Claw and met Sookie, Suril, Pomma and Parrier there. Suril had already explained why he was there and Papa gave permission for him to use Trumpa. Sookie allocated another animal to Parrier so that he could take Pomma and I around the paddock at a faster pace just as a way for us to get used to it, while Sookie spent half a bell with Suril.

… … ...

“Master Suril is a natural it would appear, and Trumpa is an obliging old lady. I feel we could make an excursion again this morn. Does anyone have a suggestion?”

“Maybe the dam?”

“Oooh – yes please Papa! May we go and see the dam? Is it too far? If it is, maybe that farm we were just talking about?”

“Good suggestions. We have lost a half bell from normal, but either the dam or the farm are about the same distance and we could get there and back for lunch, as long as we don't hang around at either destination. So where then?”

There was a silence as everyone waited for someone else, so I just said: “Dam!”

And dam it was.

… … …

Oh I could go on and on about what we saw that day and how amazed we were. Sookie and Papa of course had seen it before, but the other four of us were totally fresh to the sights and sounds and even feels of the journey.

The valley leading up to the dam was an eye-opener for me and when we turned that final corner and saw the impressive wall of the dam, my breath was taken away.

Papa and Sookie were quite pressing that we should just turn round as soon as we saw the dam, but I insisted on being allowed to go up the side of the valley and at least see the lake behind the wall. The other newcomers agreed with me so we all ascended the side and I saw the lake for the first time in my life.

What a privilege that was.

Reluctantly, I allowed myself to be dragged away.

We returned by riding along the roof of the aqueduct all the way to the campingplace, where we caused a bit of a stir amongst the mostly women there. The men were off working of course and the women were doing their chores in relative peace. The noon bell sounded and we watched the shuttle pull away, empty today.

A silence fell as we approached the centre of the campingplace, having to thread our way gently through the unordered dwellings.

Suddenly we heard a scream and a dull thump and then deep sobbing. A man stumbled out of a nearby tent shouting at the woman within. The tent seemed to be on its own somehow, as though the neighbours were trying to distance themselves. The heavyset man with powerful shoulders was rethreading his belt through the loops of his work trousers. His face was a livid hue and his eyes were bulging in ferocious anger. We heard his words more clearly as we neared.

“... you will not do a thing unless I first give you permission. Now get on and clean this shit up, you lazy whore. I catch you looking at another man once more, and I'll break your neck just like that. You were told at least twice already. You don't get told a third time.”

One of the neighbours emerged just a little from the gathering crowd of women looking on. She firmly and yet somehow timidly approached the man, but kept a reasonable distance as she called to him: “Neerkel, don't you think …”

“You mind your own business you ugly pakh's-arse. Just get on with your chores and leave me alone with my wife.”

There was a mass hissing as breaths were drawn in by most of those around, myself included.

Neerkel had swung round menacingly towards the speaker, and those who could see his eyes were chilled by the fires raging there.

An anonymous voice from the ever-thicker crowd called:“Don't you talk to her like that you big bully. What's the matter? Got such a small one you try to make yourself a bigger man by hitting defenceless women?”

A vast cackle of glee arose from the gathered throng and that infuriated the man even further.

He snaked his belt out once more, took two swift strides towards the woman who had tried to intervene and swung hard. The belt wrapped round the woman's upraised forearm which she used to defend her face. She screamed in pain and he tugged her hard off-balance towards his other fist which was swinging towards her. She ducked at the last moment and the fist swung by her cheek but she was in danger of being trapped.

Suddenly he gave a huge grunt and sank to his knees.

Somehow Suril had slipped off his frayen, covered the ten strides or so to the man and smashed his knee sideways. The man subsided into a position in which both his fists were close together on the ground below his great head as it swung sideways, trying to dispel the pain.

Papa and Parrier were halfway there by then, and I watched amazed as Suril wrapped the man's belt round his wrists and pulled it tight. Those brutal hands were thus partially immobilised, and the deed was done almost before he had time to react, being so shocked by the surprise and the pain. Suril was really, really quick.

Papa grabbed a piece of rope that was offered by an onlooker and swiftly tied one end round the man's right ankle, calling Judd to him. He tied the other end round the saddle on the animal and got Judd to back up, dragging the man onto his side and scraping him along the ground, which gave him something else to shout and curse about. Parrier caught on and got another rope, which he tied round the thrashing man's belt which was itself tied around his wrists – this being a whole lot easier to do than anywhere else. And then that rope was tied to the other frayen which was also backed up. The man was stretched out, immobile, except for one wildly kicking leg as he bellowed threats to everyone around ...

This position of the now-prisoner enabled an easier securing of further ropes to his extremities, in case the first hurried ones worked loose. The man was then released from the frayen and made to sit on his knees, despite the obvious pain this caused in the one that Suril had attacked first. Parrier then refined the whole trussing. He quietly but efficiently looped a rope round the man's neck and tied the ends to his ankles. If the prisoner ever tried to stand up, he would strangle himself.

He had been very loud to start with and during the trussing, but Suril leaned close to his ear and whispered something which made him keep quiet immediately. His face paled and most of the fight and anger was driven from him, a certain almost panicked look taking over his face. Suril smiled in a most chilling way and used his large knife to clean under his nails as he whistled tunelessly while staring hard at the man. The man swallowed heavily and looked away.

Sookie had meanwhile sent Pomma down to the Watch House to fetch the Sheriff and he turned up with a severe look on his face.

While all this was happening, Sookie had gone into the tent where she found Vittima sobbing and bleeding from the beating she had received. I had gone to the other woman that Neerkel had hit. She would have some nasty bruises on her arm, but was otherwise undamaged, except for a scratch close to her eye, where the belt buckle had flicked and nearly blinded her.

Sookie's first question was a little surprising at first, but I quickly realised that she had her priorities right: “Any children?”

Vittima shook her head in answer and we breathed in unison: “Thank the Maker!”

A large crowd had by now gathered outside the clearing round the sad little tent. Every woman spat at the trussed prisoner as he was unceremoniously dumped onto a small dray and hauled off to the Watch House. I'm sure the Sheriff chose a route that went over every pothole and bump ...

Sookie told me to rush over to Malet's and get a reedlet and a piece of parchment or paper. When I returned, Sookie then asked me to write down all the names, and asked me to also record some witness statements.

Pomma surprised me as she returned from her home with a sketchblock and she started making a drawing of Vittima's injuries. She was surprisingly swift and accurate, saying that she would colour it in later. She then switched to the other victim, who was being comforted by her friends. It was immediately apparent that these woman were more than fed up with that Neerkel.

Parrier, Papa and I took the animals back down to the Claw before returning to the Watch House for the formalities.

We all missed our lunch that day.

… … …

It was well into the afternoon by the time we were all finished with this episode. All statements had been collected, our own statements given and sworn, and Vittima, just for that night, had a spare bed in M's.

M had been outraged at the events and promised to try to find a more permanent solution to Vittima's accommodation, so that was something to occupy M's afternoon. I did manage to receive the message secretly that the Foti would be available for tomorrow night. And I reassured him that I could cope with the numbers. It was a relief to talk, albeit very briefly, about another subject.

We were all out of breath and stressed by the whole incident by the time it was finished. And grateful that for now, the incident could be put behind us.

And so a more normal life resumed.

Papa had had an idea that morning as we were riding, so we went down to the Claw and waited a few moments until we could talk with Sookie, who by now was deep into cooking her evening meals.

“Mistress Sukhana, it has occurred to me that you are responsible for all these new riders we have. And I must say I approve. Until I saw Julina's delight, it had not occurred to me just how isolated most of our townsfolk are. Just the delight that illuminated her face as she saw things that she had never before seen. The delight with which her horizons have been widened. It further occurs to me that others may benefit equally.

“And so I deem that it would be of benefit to have a 'riding' school. Would it be possible to base it in your establishment? I would donate Trumpa to the cause and allow you to keep what coin you might receive from these endeavours. I shall purchase a younger frayen for myself, and one for Julina for surely Master Michen will eventually heal sufficiently to use his own mount.

“I would suggest Master Parrier to be in charge of the animal side, and be active in this 'school' as well. He could also benefit from the income. I would suggest that you set the tariffs. What think you? Maybe have a further four animals, making it a hand in all. Thus people could learn and maybe even hire the animals for a morning, say?”

“I believe that you have a good idea there, Master Kordulen. We could also tie in with the saddler and the seamstresses maybe. Hmmm, let me think on it. I would immediately say yes, but I need to check the details first. Now please excuse me, I have to get on with my duties. Allow me please to reply tomorrow or the day after?”

“Naturally, Mistress. Thank you for sparing me some of your valuable time.”

And so it was left like that, with another morning ride arranged as well for the morrow. Time to go to the head of the valley, we decided.

Next, Papa and I went up to the Forge; I wanted the men, Uncle and Papa to understand each other and not to have any unspoken issues. I had detected a little something in Papa's attitude when I first referred to Master Brydas as 'Uncle'.

We got there and were asked to wait for a few moments as Uncle couldn't just stop what he was doing right then. I tugged on Papa's sleeve and herded him into the safe corner that I was beginning to know so well.

This time, the workshop nearest was open and I saw Sethan in there, so I asked him if he was available for a chat as we waited upon his chief.

“Of course Mistress Julina, and Master …???”

“Kordulen. This is my father. Papa, this is Master Sethan, who was assigned to Uncle's care as a punishment for his involvement with Trogan's band.”

“I remember,” he growled. “I hope, Sethan, you have learned your lesson with your enforced apprenticeship?”

“Master Kordulen, this is far and away the best thing that has ever happened to me! I am learning a trade and have discovered an unknown ability within myself. In one way, I welcome the fact that I was taken up by that thug. I am now the expert for Master Brydas on coke production. We have only a small coke oven, but that suffices for my experiments. We have now produced some excellent quality steel, but not in usable quantities.

“Today, I am experimenting with uses for the gases given out by the coke oven during the process. So far, I have managed to make a reliable lantern using it. Tomorrow evening, we shall light that lantern out above the sidewalk and see how long we can get it to burn. I must then discover some way to store those gases more efficiently. I have a cunning pla...”

“Well met, Master Kordulen,” came the booming and jovial voice of Uncle, cutting off Sethan's sentence. Sethan took no umbrage and just nodded to us before fading back into his workshop.

The apparent joy in Uncle's voice was no false note, as he met with Papa. Papa was a little reserved at first, but Uncle's honesty was apparent, as was his loneliness now that his daughter had departed for richer fields. I could see Papa's agile mind relaxing almost from the start of the conversation.

It didn't take very long for the men to be happy and friendly with each other. It wasn't too much longer before an invite was issued for an evening meal. It seemed to me that I was almost forgotten as the men forged – I am grinning at using that word here – a deeper friendship than they had hitherto had.

… … …

“And so Mistress Pomma, I would very much like a likeness of Julina!”

“With absolute pleasure, Master Kordulen. I have long wished to do so, ever since our friendship blossomed but I did not know how to broach the subject.”

Again a conversation about me but not with me. I blushed for the umpteenth time that day.

Papa had been impressed with Pomma's abilities as she sketched the awful damage that Neerkel had caused, and had had the idea to commission a portrait of myself, so we just popped into the Saddler's as it was so close to the Forge. There he had simply asked Pomma the question and I had then to sit still for nearly half a bell. I was not allowed to speak and had to try to keep my head as still as possible.

I don't know which was the greater torture!

… … …

“Oh look, Papa! Those bits of mirrors are reflecting the candle and making it seem brighter somehow.”

There was a sudden silence as Master Pocular looked at me and then at Papa. He swiftly finished what he was doing, and came across to us, for the third time in our visit.

Once again, we were keeping out of the way in a corner. Master Pocular had been explaining his early experiments with his temporary workshop, and with using coal. He was just 'playing' he explained as he settled in. He was trying various ways of making mirrors – his apprentices being fully occupied with producing that marvellous clear glass for which Papa had decided to thank him, as we were in the neighbourhood.

As the men were talking, I idly picked up some of the different pieces of mirror he had left lying on a bench top and tried to see myself in them. I was just trying to see how accurate Pomma's sketches of my face had been. I manipulated the pieces of glass here and there, twisting it in my hand as I moved myself about, trying to catch the light properly. This resulted in the first silence and the associated approach of Master Pocular.

He watched as I tried to see my image and it was a good few heartbeats before I looked up and saw him staring at me.

As was Papa.

As were the apprentices.

It was Master P who broke the silence.

“Wooden frame, with a handle.”

“Round or square?” added Papa. “Square I should imagine would be easier.”

“Aye, but maybe round is more attractive somehow? Curves, you know. Always somehow less harsh.”

“Aye. Happen you're right.”

Master P turned back to his task as he switched back to making the commentary of how he was establishing his business.

“What?” I asked Papa.

“Never mind,” was the reply. “And don't frown like that, you'll end up with permanent marks in your face.”

I was totally and completely lost. So I put down the latest piece of mirror and started observing other stuff around me. My ears were listening but my fingers were busy shuffling the pieces of mirror about, just desultorily playing with them.

This workshop was hot, uncomfortably so, and I was beginning to chafe at Papa's conversation. It was time, I felt, for us to go.

There was a piece of parchment on the top of the bench, which was more a cupboard really, sitting on the ground. I idly picked up the parchment intending to hold it nearer the candle lantern so I could read it but a gust of hot air as a furnace was opened plucked it from my fingers and it slipped down between the bench/cupboard and the wall. I squatted down but was unable to see it in the gloom, so I lifted down the candle lantern to help. This was too thickly built to cast its light in the right direction so I had to fumble around, relying on my finger tips and 'feel'.

Suddenly, I had an idea and picked up a piece of mirror from the top and used it to direct the light into the right place. But holding the lantern and the mirror meant my hands were full and I had nothing with which to retrieve the parchment. I called for help and explained my difficulty.

This was the second silent moment.

“Don't move, Mistress. Just show me what you did.”

“Well, I picked up the parchment and it slipped down the back here …”

“No, I meant what you did with the candle and the mirror.”

So I demonstrated my use of angling the mirror and he and his apprentices looked at each other and a sudden light suddenly showed in Papa's face as something clicked in his brain.

“Another use of a handle!” he exclaimed.

“Aye. This lass of yourn. She's a bright one eh? We needs to talk, us two.”

“Then come to dinner with my family, e'en after tomorrow?”

“A delight. You honour me.”

“Ours is the honour.”

One of his apprentices used the time to retrieve the parchment and so I thanked him, once again a little lost by Papa's conversation with Master P.

So I sighed to myself, knowing that we would not be leaving in the next few moments.

I amused myself by casting sparkles of light on the walls and ceilings by playing with the candle lantern and the pieces of mirror. I noticed that the edges of the glass pieces seemed to make coloured flashes.

Purely accidentally, I created a configuration of glass pieces that somehow magnified the light at one point on the bench top. It was so unexpected, I let out an exclamation of delight.

“Oh look, Papa! Those bits of mirrors are reflecting the candle and making it seem brighter somehow.”

There was a sudden silence as Master Pocular looked at me and then at Papa. He swiftly finished what he was doing, and came across to us, for the third time in our visit.

… … …

Swayga was sitting down, with such a beautiful smile upon her face.

Over dinner Papa and I had recounted our adventures of the day to many gasps and sighs from our family. He wanted to keep my having a likeness made a secret for the moment, so he made much more of our visit to the new glass workshop. I began to understand some of what he had said earlier when he took the time to spell some things out to the others. Swayga rolled her eyes at me when Papa told her we would be having a visitor for dinner in two evenings time.

We were now sitting relaxing once the young ones were in bed and connected to the moon.

Papa had started this conversational thread by following up the bit about the Fish Farm as he now referred to it. He wanted information from Swayga about how to breed fish, and how to manage their environmat (hah – I can use that word properly now!)

We both smiled delighted smiles when Swayga mentioned that reeds were good in a fishpond. She repeated that it had to be running water, so that the water didn't get tired and lack what she called 'body'. The more she said, the more likely it was that the Little Lake farm was perfect for the proposed job, with its stream ensuring that the water would keep moving. The down-canyon flow was said to be very little, but still a contributory factor. Presumably there was a spring nearby, maybe the lake itself was where water emerged from the ground. But we knew it had that stream running away from it, so there must be something bringing the water in. So it would always be refreshed.

The conversation twisted and turned as conversations do, and we began to talk about the sea.

It was difficult for me to imagine such a large expanse of water, and my mind nearly closed down when she mentioned that waves were just very large ripples, but sometimes were higher even than the roof of our house. We all know that water tries to go downhill, so how can it possibly rise up to such heights?

She promised faithfully that she was not exaggerating and I had to believe her, but this was very difficult for me to visualise in my head.

And so she started to use stories from her and Steef's childhood to explain. Her descriptions made me want to run away (on a frayen, of course) and see these marvels for myself. I could actually feel the delight with which she recalled those events. She oozed her content at her delightful childhood memories.

Hence her beautiful smile.

One of her mornings' events in particular stuck in my mind, as I could visualise it so well thanks to her beautifully-chosen words which seemed to weave a living picture round and about us …

“ … a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, her footprints making us follow. The sparkling waves were calling us to come and kiss their white lace bits. She led us to a huge rock and we dipped our toes in the warmth of its own private pool - a hollow in the rock filled with sea water left behind by the retreating tide, the water warmed by the overhead sun. We leant forward and first submerged our hands in the pool, then we stepped into the waist deep water, as we waved our hands under the surface, letting tiny purple fishes swim laughing through our fingers …”

Oh what a wonderful mental image was conjured up. I knew there and then that someday I would see this beauty. This was certainty. That intention has never wavered from that moment.

My dreams were intensely coloured that night, as though I had carved deep blue ripples in my mind.


up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The 'Cream' rises...

...Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

Another excellent chapter. Thanks!

Flying Ideas

Blackstone will soon be Palarand North with all these new ideas flying around. The ideas will bring even more coin to the town as they are implemented. I hope Merizel helps Julina by getting her design rights enforced.

By the way, when will Julina receive a reply from Merizell in answer to Julina's letter?

DJ

Time flies when you're enjoying yourself

Hi DJ,

thanks for the comments (and thanks to kris1 too)

I know that to myself, #20 deals with stuff MONTHS ago ...... I know I actually finished it over a month ago.

However, I have a notebook (of course) for my scribblings and I see that the letter was posted to Merry on the morning after what I call Night 8. (It was in #20)

This episode (#22) describes the day after Night 10, and stops as Night 11 starts. In other words, only two and a bit days have elapsed since it was delivered to the Messenger Office in Blackstone (aka BS). As it was not marked urgent or anything, then it will have been sent on the shuttle. So it will have only now reached Tranidor. This by the way is the night at the end of the day AFTER the battle. I doubt that Garia and Co will have made it to Palarand City (aka PC) for the night immediately after the battle, so I suspect that Penny will show them arriving the following day. So Merry (who thank the Maker survived the battle) will have just got to PC when the letter is still in Tranidor. It will take another 2 days to get to Dekarran, and then at the best undelayed speed a further 2 days to get to the Palace. So Merry still has 4 days to go before she even receives it!

Assuming my current rate of writing, then the reply from Merry will reach Julina in around 10 or 11 days --- i.e sometime around June or July of this year!

Thanks again for commenting.

Joolz

At this rate Julina could wind up a guildswoman

She is going to be very busy as her talents get recognized.

It is ironic that her 'less busy' time is going to lead to a very busy life.

I had to cringe and curse at the wife beater. Problem is, can the town handle longer term punishments that such a crime richly deserves. It is a given that this will be used to justify a divorce. Speaking of which, this seems the perfect opportunity to define how that social custom is handled. It would be horrible if it is like conservative Judaism where the man has to be the one who let the woman go from the marriage.

Thanks for commenting

We authors realy do appreciate the time that you take to comment.

Writing into a vacuum is quite soul-destroying.

Thanks

J

you're welcome

Just keep in mind this is a TG site and since your protagonist is NOT TG and there is little TG content in the story it will not fare as well here.

Divorce!?

Divorce is not something that I have ever considered while writing SEE, since such circumstances have not yet arisen in that tale.

Needless to say, Julia and I have to 'co-ordinate' social customs and so on while writing our parallel stories since they are set in the same part of Anmar. (I note that different customs may apply in other parts of Anmar.)

We've recently discussed crime and punishment, ie of the wife-beater, but divorce hadn't crossed my mind. I'm too focused on getting Garia's caravan back to the palace at the moment - plus surviving the after effects of hospitalization and evil air pollution.

I'll only comment that any criminal conviction is likely to have a big effect on the strength of any divorce petition. As we discovered with the tale of the shoe-maker's family, local society will show their disapproval of domestic violence in no uncertain terms. That's not to say it doesn't happen, of course, but with any luck we'll be spared the worst excesses.

Penny

Okay

So you are saying that divorce is a 'separate' issue?

^_^

You've painted

some very vivid pictures with words in this one. Especially about the tidal pool and fish. Well done. Also Julina does seem to be a catalyst for change wherever she happens to be.

Maggie

Julina's father still treats her as a girl child

Not as respectful as he should in my opinion.

The incident in the glass maker's place where she is not even being included in the conversation even as she is the one who is innovating and observing right on the spot.

Remember the society standards

Hi there GR

This is a comparatively uncivilised society in which women are treated as chattels for the most part. I think however that you will be pleased by measures brought in once Garia really gets going. There have been enough hints in S E E that she is going to turn this world upside down. Remote areas like BS will take a little longer I expect, but my feeling is that there will be some social upheavals soonish. Already we have the first ever Guildmistress and Garia recommended that a woman be included on the Assembly in BS, so a certain groundswell is building.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

It's nice to know that someone is actually reading this.

Julia.

Well that is good to know

And that lack of respect would very well reflect the lack of coin as compensation for all of the great things that she is doing for the town as well as individuals in the town.

So far it seems too much like they expect since she is a 'child' so she should give her time free of charge or that she was probably just 'lucky' with some ideas.

So the question has probably been brought up

But will you cover why there are no surnames in Palarand or is there a pool of names, like IP addresses, which are going to run out eventually?

Surnames

I think there probably are formal names which relate to previous generations, like, "Brandar son of Gethen, son of Turdan, son of..." but almost all people just use the familiar names for everyday use. It is possible that some would be of the format, "Sendanar of Teldor" or "Burgan Mason," that kind of thing, but again most would just use the first name unless it was necessary to distinguish between people with the same name.

That's basically how most societies worked right up until the Industrial Revolution, after all. If you lived in a village or small town, then it was unlikely that there would be more than one person with any given name. In larger towns or cities, though, the opposite would be true and you'd need more names to tell them apart.

I note that other societies in Alaesia, like the Six Cities, for example, may follow other rules.

It is possible that our brains will run out of ideas for new names, yes :)

Penny