Bikini Beach: Magic Sucks Part 1 of 2

Printer-friendly version
Bikini Beach: Magic Sucks

Story by Ib12us/Elrod

Concept developed by Ib12us
Edited by Elrod

Part 1 of 2

Living with her foster mother, Melody is set to graduate from 6th grade to 7th. Her older friends Vicky and Holly, concerned about her welfare, want to hear more about her past. The problem is Mel doesn't wish to discuss it. Perhaps a chance getaway will help her as Mel has to make a decision. Choose not to tell or risk the loss of her new friends.

It may be best to have read "Bikini Beach: The Runaway" to fully understand some of the background.

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.


 

The young girl, just halfway past her thirteenth birthday, stared in the mirror, semi-confused by the image that returned her gaze. At times, another image would overlap hers like a ghostly shadow. A phantom with gaunt looks and haunting eyes. She had learned to ignore the image. It was a solemn reminder of her past - a past she had until recently tried to reconcile. Fingering a pendant wrapped around her neck, she knew she'd never be truly free of her past.

Minutes passed as she examined herself in her mirror, wondering who she was, who she was becoming, as most young girls her age do. Pretty by most standards, with her pert nose and hazel eyes, she applied a little mascara - not much, just enough to bring notice to her eyes - not that she needed to worry about such matters. The teen hadn't cared much about her looks, although she did occasionally find herself experimenting more with makeup thanks to the influence of her friends, especially her best friend: Reba Sinclair. And now, like most girls her age, she was worried about fitting in. That was the primary reason she was applying lipstick, at one time appalled by the thought of wearing it. Now she carried one with her, its taste of cherry a favorite of hers.

Finished, she suddenly felt scared and worried - afraid of giving in to the wants and desires of a girl her age as she blossomed into a young woman. Worried that she might be letting herself give in too much just to fit in.

Then there were her feelings about boys which had started to change, as well as her concerns with how she appeared in comparison to other girls. Despite the peer pressure she felt, she didn't want to give up who she was, who she had been, even in the midst of past events that had made her life a little more complicated.

Continuing to ready herself for school, her thoughts shifted to another day, a day that had changed her life forever. A fateful day, as she recalled, and as had happened many times before, self-doubt crept in, making her wonder if she really did make the right decision to live the life she had now.

She had been resigned to her fate that day, ready to end her painful and pitiful existence, but people who truly cared about her managed to talk her out of _that_ drastic step. No, she thought, upon reflection, she was happy that her older friends had done so, but still, she was terrified of what her life was becoming. It definitely wasn't what she had expected or hoped for. No! She reasoned and pushed the thought away. It was her decision and hers alone to make. No one had forced or begged her; they'd just hoped and prayed she would. No one could have stopped her if she wanted to.

When she asked to see her father's grave, she could see their worried looks as they drove her to the cemetery. They couldn't imagine the hurt she had endured, not with just the monster she had been forced to live with, but the hurt and humiliation she had been forced to endure from her own mother, thanks to his manipulation.

Then there was her brother - her brother and a mother who were no longer who she had grown up with. A decision she made changed their lives, not once but twice, thus making them strangers to her in the process.

Thinking of her brother, her mind wandered to the last football game that she and her friends attended, and she knew her decision had been worth it when she watched her brother play - trying to go after the quarterback, time and time again, working his way through the line to make a sack, or force the quarterback to rush his pass, or tackling a running back behind the line of scrimmage. She knew that if it hadn't been for her, without that fateful decision, he'd never had been there. She didn't gloat about it. That wasn't her way. Instead, she'd just taken secret delight in seeing him play the game she knew he loved.

As she posed before her mirror, she looked herself over critically, checking to make sure she looked presentable. Even dressed in casual jeans, pull up boots, a tan polo shirt, and denim jacket, she could see where her body was changing - maturing. She picked up her backpack, adjusting the shoulder straps on her shoulders and around her breasts. A little larger now than when she'd first paid attention to them, they were past the early stages of development. She found boys staring at her - at them - and it bothered her somewhat. And yet, she found herself reveling in their looks. And once more, the thought bothered her about who she was becoming. Torn between the girl who she was and a boy she had once been, she found herself questioning herself once more. Who was she? she contemplated as the ghostly image of the emaciated boy that sometimes overshadowed hers appeared once more. Shaking her head, she refocused her attention back to school, and away from the past. Once, she had been that ghost of a boy who looked back at her. The ghostly image somehow managed to show himself when she had self-doubts.

"Mel, hurry up, or we'll both be late," called a woman, whom she now considered her mother, from the living room.

"I'm hurrying, Mom," Mel yelled, taking one last look at 'her' room before closing the door. Perhaps she'd call her older friends, Vicky and Holly. Having been girls far longer than her, they had more experience with her situation than she did, especially Vicky.

First, though, it would be best if she discussed it with her foster mom. That was if she wasn't too busy with work. It was because of Mel's and Vicky's unique situations, both shared a bond only a very few understood.

Still, something nagged at her. It was the news she'd heard concerning Vicky and Holly, and a part of her asked, 'Why? Why stay girls if they'd had the chance to change back?'

Too many questions, she thought, before pushing them away for later. She needed to be focused on more pressing matters, such as how to pass her upcoming Advanced Placement tests so she could advance quickly into seventh grade by the end of the first semester. She wanted to be away from the younger boys and girls who considered her either dumb or lazy simply because she had been placed in classes younger than her. It wasn't her fault, but she couldn't tell anyone the true reason. Her time living with that monster had cost her two years of school, putting her behind kids her own age. She hated it, and needed desperately to get back with her peer group.

Unexpectedly a giggle escaped her lips when a thought came to her as she stepped into view of her mom. It came easier now, laughter between her and those she considered her friends.

"How's this?" she asked when she remembered when the two had spent some girl time together. It was the surprised look her mom showed when she had given in just a little. Mel couldn't help notice the joy in her mom's face that day. Perhaps, once more she thought, just the two of them. She knew her mom would like that, which caused her to giggle even more.

Looking over her foster daughter, Lisa couldn't have been more proud. Since Mel came into her life, the two had bonded. It hadn't been easy at first, but both of them wanted something important in their lives. "Better, Mel," Lisa said, complimenting the girl on her appearance. "Now hurry. The bus will be here shortly. And remember …."

"I know, Mom," Mel said, knowing what her mother was going to say before she said it giving Lisa a tight squeeze before grabbing two lunch bags and rushing out the door. "Stay out of trouble and no magic." It worked with others, too, which had taken them time to accept. She stifled another giggle.

*************

As she waited for the bus, Mel stood a little apart from the other kids in the morning chill. They had learned that she was a little shy until she warmed up to them, and even then, she was quite reserved. Some, she never warmed up to at all.

Mel watched with interest when a girl approached her. With her gorgeous brown hair hanging below her shoulders, she was growing into a pretty young lady, her build and features reflecting her eastern-European ancestry. Approaching the bus stop she wore a flowery light blue blouse that graced her body as well as a denim skirt, showcasing her legs.
"I see you brought your lunch with you today, Natty," Mel said, eyeing her lunch carrier.

"Yeah, it's tuna fish casserole at school, and we both know what that means," Natalya Michaels - known to her friends as Natty, said, making a face. Most kids tolerated the schools lunch, except when the school pushed certain meals - like the awful tasting tuna-noodle casserole. Today she had to choose between bringing her own lunch to school or suffering through what was offered. She eyed Mel's own lunch carrier.

"Let's have a look," Mel said, taking the carrier from Natty unceremoniously.

Rifling through the thermal container, Mel gave a somewhat disgusted look. "You're kidding. Again?" as she pulled out two plain baloney and ham sandwiches on white bread. Then she grinned when she spied the cookies wrapped in plastic. She set them aside. The rest was normal fare - peanut butter and celery sticks and a fruit cup. Light fare actually for a growing girl. Natalya stood there, worried. "Jenny rushed making your lunch, didn't she?" Mel already knew the answer; otherwise, they wouldn't be trading.

Natalya nodded, but still felt the need to defend her cousin. "She was rushed for time. There was an emergency at the park and I helped where I could. It makes her feel better you know, and with Melinda away for a few days, I was hoping …."

Mel reached into her backpack and withdrew the extra sacked lunch already prepared. "Here," she said as she handed the bag over. She saw Natty's quizzical look. "Girls' intuition," Mel said. Natty chuckled at the implication of the private joke. No-one knew the true extent of their friendship, only that Natty was one of the few with whom Mel really seemed to be relaxed and open with.

As Mel grabbed the cookies, she could see the disappointment in Natty's face even though it was the price of the exchange. "Homemade, huh?"

"Melinda's special chocolate chips," Natty replied, a little disappointed and envious at the same time. Both of the girls knew that Melinda, Jenny's partner, was an excellent cook, and prepared most of the meals, much to Natty's and Jenny's delight. On the other hand, Jenny wasn't that great of a cook. Her food was passable, but barely. So with Jenny's encouragement, Natty took to learning how to cook from both Melinda and her Nana.

Unwrapping the cookies, Mel removed a couple before handing the rest back, which brought a huge smile to Natty's face. She'd been expecting to pay all the cookies for a tolerable lunch. "I made some homemade fudge for us, too," Mel grinned as Natty examined the bags contents. "Let me know if they're as good as your Nana's."

"Thanks, Mel," Natty said, both pleased and relieved at what was inside. She gave Mel a quick hug and hurried to repack her lunch before the bus arrived. Each had grabbed one of the cookies to munch on as they waited. Standing there waiting, Natty asked, "Any idea on how much longer?"

"Couple weeks, we hope, before it's finished and over with."

"Jenny said we'll be there for support if nothing happens at the park. Oh, and Jenny has a few books you might be interested in. They're about small combustion engines."

Mel flashed Natty a quick smile, "Thanks." Quickly they boarded the bus when it arrived. Natty took a seat next to her friends, while Mel sought out a seat in the back to be alone. Her mind had already turned to school matters, reviewing tests and books as the bus took them to school. She was completely focused on school, ignoring the others around her. If she failed those tests, her goal of progressing out of sixth grade quickly would be thwarted until regular class advancement during the summer.

Being friends with Natty and Reba had become one of the reasons for Mel's intense desire to catch up to where she should be in school. She would have been in eighth grade, like Reba and Natty, but past circumstances had interrupted her schooling. Now she desperately wanted to catch-up so she could go through high school with her friends. That strong desire fueled an intense focus on her schoolwork; she attacked it with a gusto that was out of place for a normal tween girl.

*************

"I'm worried about her, Holly," said a girl with a cheery sounding voice, seated next to her.

Holly, a pleasant-looking, sandy-haired girl of about twenty-one, absently said, "um hum," not really paying attention to the comment while she thumbed through her book in preparation for another boring seminar about the inner workings of the human mind.

"You're not listening to me, are you?" the first girl said. Abruptly she placed a hand on the book preventing Holly from turning the page. A little older than Holly, her slim figure fit her well, as did her melodic voice and attitude. Now, though, her voice conveyed concern and worry.

Swiveling her body, Holly gave her friend her utmost attention by setting her arm on the table, and she looked her directly in the face. "I heard you, but I'm studying. Grandmother gave me an extra hour to study, which now, thanks to your need to be chatty, I'm wasting. What more would you suggest, Vicky? Didn't you think I was just as surprised when Mel opened up more than we expected? We only expected the 'Hi I'm Mel' routine before going back to her seat. You know how shy and how terrified she can be in front of a group of people she doesn't know."

"Still, she could have said more. She didn't tell them everything."

"Maybe she's didn't want to." Holly explained patiently, "Saying what she did was a lot bigger step than I would have taken if I had been in her shoes. We both know how deeply hurt Mel had been. Deeper than most people we've known since we started working here. With good reason, she doesn't trust very many people. We need to give her time, and when she's ready, she'll open up more."

Sighing, Holly closed the book and put it away, knowing she wasn't going to be able to study much more. "Enough of the psycho-analysis. As her friend I'm worried about her, too. We both know there's more to tell. A lot more."

"Do you think she completely trusts us? We've been there for her, just like Lisa has."

"Were we? We didn't go after her," Holly replied sadly. "We just visited her to make sure she was safe, and then we didn't return. Where was that friendship we promised her? Didn't we just abandon her, too?"

In a troubled voice, Vicky replied, "Maybe, but what could either of us really have done to take care of her? We're students and…"

"And neither of you would have been able to." Both girls turned to the doorway, startled by the interruption. Lisa entered the staff lounge still wearing her standard school attire. "Either of you attempting to care for her would have been most illogical."

Vicky groaned at the Star Trek reference. Days prior, Holly and Lisa had attended a Star Trek convention. The two had taken pleasure in trading barbs in Trek-talk whenever possible, much to the consternation of those within hearing.

"Even if you had tried, I don't think it would have worked. Think of the trouble I was having with her. Even I was stressed out at times," Lisa continued.

"It seems you both managed to work it out now," Holly stated. "It's just I wish she'd open up more, at least with us."

"Well, I was thinking, girls," Lisa said, beaming like a proud parent unable to contain her news further, having rushed over once finished at school, "school break is coming up, and those weeks of Mel's studying hard paid off. I was just informed Mel passed her placement tests to advance to seventh grade, so I thought of perhaps taking a weekend away from here. A little reward for doing so well. We can all go to a campground. It's a little secluded and rugged, but with its lake and hiking trails, it would be a nice getaway."

"I'm not too keen in sleeping in tents," Holly responded. "I like the outdoors, but not that much."

"Oh I don't know," Vicky interjected. "I think it would be fun."

"You would, if it meant having more alone time with Rob," Holly teased.

"Oh, did I fail to mention we'd be sleeping in cabins?" Lisa said with an impish grin. "Of course there'd be no TV or cell reception. A little getaway with her friends might help Mel open up a little, or at least mentally unwind. She's been under so much stress."

*************

"You want to go where, Mom?" asked Mel, at first thrilled with the idea of camping.

"Crystal Lake. It's about three to four hours from here," Lisa said, alarmed at Mel's sudden change in attitude when Mel had heard where they planned to go on the surprise getaway.

"I know where it is, Mom. Can't we go somewhere else? I mean I want to go camping but …"

"What's the matter, sweetheart? I made the arrangements already. I thought you'd like the idea of getting away. Holly and Vicky are going. So is Reba with her brother and dad. I'm afraid Natty can't due to a prior engagement."

"It's not that, Mom. It's just that …. Well, it's just that's where we were going before I, we were," she said in a quiet, almost frightened voice, "kidnapped."

"Oh honey, I'm sorry I didn't mean...," Lisa said, appalled at what she had inadvertently done. "I'll cancel the trip. I don't think I can find another place, though, so I guess we'll just celebrate here."

"No!" Mel said, not wanting to go, but not wanting to disappoint her mother, either, since it was already planned. "We'll go." Mel fought back the memories, the tears. "You didn't know. It's just that was where Nathan lied about taking us. Like Dad used to. I'll just have to deal with it."

Lisa thought for a minute. "Would you like to see if Brad would like to come, too, since Natty can't then? With football over, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a chance to visit."

"Yeah, I'd like that," Mel said, "and so would Reba, I bet. She doesn't believe we're just friends, and I think she's a little jealous."

*************

Riding in the Sinclair's backseat, Mel gazed out the passenger side window as cars speed past them. With her mother staying behind so she could pick up Holly, who had to attend a late afternoon class, Keith Sinclair volunteer to take both Mel and Brad with them on the drive to the lake. Mel suspected her mom really wanted to talk to Holly privately - about her - and that they wouldn't have much of a chance later. "That's so cool, Mel," Reba said, excited once she learned that Mel would only be one grade lower than her. Bobby, on the other hand, had been disappointed upon hearing the news. He had come to like working on projects with Mel. Hers were far more interesting than some of others kids he'd worked with. "Have they given you your schedule yet? I hope they don't change your lunch period."

"Not yet. Mom said when break's over they should have my new schedule ready." Mel said, a little less excited then she would have been. The trip to Crystal Lake was dampening her enthusiasm as they made their way to the campground.

"I'm sure you'll be able to do it." Reba said encouragingly when Mel had become quiet again. "I hope we'll still have time to see each other at lunch time, though."

"So are you going to try and swim in the lake," Reba asked, changing the subject to the camping trip. Everyone knew how much Melody liked to swim and dive. Even with the warm days, the nights would be chilly, especially around the lake, and the water would definitely be much cooler than the pool at Bikini Beach. When Mel didn’t answer, Reba switched her attention to the boy sitting up front.

Even though he was only twelve, he had the appearance of being older, since he was tall for his age. As boys went, he was husky, but it was muscle instead of fat. Reluctantly, she had relinquished the front seat to Mel's friend Brad, not that she minded. Brad had said that he took after his father, which was why he had grown and filled out faster than most boys. Although she wouldn't admit it to him, or Melody, Reba had taken a fancy to him as her interest in boys grew, even if he was slightly younger than her. She knew a lot of her girlfriends were envious of Mel and Brad's relationship, and she tried not to interfere. But she didn't understand Mel's reluctance to admit what many suspected, that there had to be more between the two, especially with all the time they spent together.

"Have you been to Crystal Lake before, Brad," Reba asked, a little shy herself in wanting to engage him in conversation since Mel wasn't talking much.

"A few times," Brad replied. "When Dad was alive, he liked to visit the lake. His commander said it was a great place to camp and fish. We'd hike along the cliffs, and he'd joke how the military changed his view of camping after he'd spent time living in tents or on the ground. He didn't mind, though. He said they couldn't take the country boy out of him." Brad’s voice quieted down with the admission, "I still miss him though."

"So do I," Mel said quietly.

"What?" Reba asked startled.

"My Dad. I still miss him."

"Did your family come here, too?" Reba inquired. In the months she'd known Mel, she rarely talked about her family, saying as little as possible or nothing if the matter was brought up.

"You could say that," Mel answered vaguely, still looking out the window. "We'd go on hikes, or swim and dive in the water. Mom always complained, or refused to watch whenever I went to the higher ledges. She was always scared that I'd hurt myself somehow."

"Did you fish, too?" Bobby asked, joining the three with his youthful enthusiasm. "I hear there's lots of big fish there. I hope I catch one of them."

The other kids didn't see the distant look in Mel's eyes. "Yeah. Dad used to joke that we'd have to catch our dinner, or else we'd go hungry. It didn't happen, of course. Dad always caught something. Except not everything he caught was a fish - he pulled me out of the water many times after tossing me in," Mel said reflectively, her voice touched with a sad fondness few understood. "We had lots of fun there." Finished, Mel quietly stared out the window as the others continued their conversations around her.

As they neared their destination, Keith turned off the main thoroughfare, and continued on a back road past several smaller towns. The landscape changed from open fields of farmland to more densely wooded areas. After many miles, they approached a sign marking a turn onto a small, narrow winding road leading the group towards their destination.

Driving up a dirt road, three cabins horseshoed around each other. Keith pulled close to the center of the three where a single two bedroom cabin waited. On either side single room cabins stood available. The kids piled forth from the car and hurried to place dibs on a room or bed. Only after they'd claimed their respective rooms and bunks did the kids begin unloading the car. Brad ending up bunking with Bobby and his dad in the one room of the two room cabin, while Reba found herself occupying the other room with Holly, much to her bewilderment. She had though Mel would want to bunk with her, while Mel quietly moved her stuff into one of the single cabins for both her and her mom once she arrived.

The other single cabin would remain unoccupied, temporarily, since Vicky and Rob hadn't arrived yet.

With everything finished, the kids began to explore their surroundings. Bobby immediately ran off, having been told not to wander too far from camp. Keith knew the kids needed a chance to stretch their legs after having been cooped up inside the car for several hours. Running and playing and exploring would help stretch their muscles and burn off the energy which they'd built up during the drive. Keeping a watchful eye on the kids to make sure they stayed near and safe, Keith began to set up camp. He would gather them up later to have them help with the minor chores such as the gathering of wood for a fire. He already had a 'duty roster' assigning tasks such as setting tables, cooking, and cleaning the dishes.

*************

Mel arose in the early morning and dressed quickly. Silently, she left their cabin, leaving Lisa and Holly to sleep in since they'd arrived late in the night. Strolling down one of the trails for a short hike in the woods with her camera, she walked along a worn, but familiar path. Memories came to her as she recalled the good times she'd had when she'd been a boy named David camping at this very lake with his family.

With the early morning sunrise, Mel watched as light started to filter through the trees and mist, giving the scene a mystical look. She lifted her camera, and after fiddling with both the shutter speed and focus, Mel snapped several pictures of the trees, the mist on the lake, and the golden rays of sunlight starting to highlight the treetops. She wanted to capture the moment. To study them later, hopefully finding one or two decent pictures worth keeping. The camera, although not one of the expensive types, took good pictures. Both Greg, Anya's boyfriend, and Randy, from the Nu Rho Delta fraternity, had suggested the model. They had enthusiastically discussed its merits as a beginner's camera with the hope that she, too, would come to love photography.

Having changed paths, she followed one that approached the water's edge. A light fog in the air seemed to hang over the water. From out of nowhere Mel heard a distinct splash in the lake. Scanning the water's surface, she caught sight of the circular ripples from where a fish had jumped in a bid to catch its morning breakfast. Returning her gaze along the shore, she spied two figures, who apparently had the same idea of an early morning stroll. The two walked casually hand-in-hand along the grassy path which meandered around the lake. The two stopped when they, too, heard the splash of a jumping fish, followed shortly by another. Mel watched them, unseen from her vantage point when Vicky reached out and placed her arms around Rob’s waist drawing herself close to him. Quickly Mel raised her camera, focusing on the two as they embraced in a long passionate kiss. Maybe the picture would be a keeper, and she could give it to Vicky as a special memento of this camping trip. Taking a few more pictures of the lovebirds embracing, she thought of her foster mother and her brother, knowing their feelings for her were different from what she felt for them.

She pondered Vicky's and Rob's feelings as she watched them, wondering what it was like to be in love.

Finished taking pictures of the two, Mel strolled back up the trail. Her stomach started to rumble with morning hunger, reminding her of her need to fix some breakfast. As she scanned through the pictures, Mel couldn't help but be happy for her friend. Vicky seemed so happy to be with Rob, from what Mel saw. Still, given the chance, Mel was sure what she would do. That was, if she could still have those she cared for in her life.

Once she learned of Vicky's decision to stay a girl Mel had gone to Grandmother asking why Vicky chose to stay a girl.

"Mel, I'm sure it was a difficult decision for her. I'm sure she thought hard on what she was doing. Just between the two of us, I'm glad she stayed. As Vick, his life would have been difficult."

"You peeked, didn't you," Mel asked suspiciously.

"Let's just say I allowed my curiosity to get the better of me," Grandmother said, embracing the girl. "It was her decision to make, and I'm glad Vicky chose to stay. Sometimes, child, being able to gaze into people's lives, their futures, isn't a blessing, but a curse." Her words sounded haunted, and in that instant, Mel knew that Grandmother had been haunted at least once before by seeing someone else's future. Gently but firmly, Grandmother continued, "Now go, hurry inside. Your mother's waiting for you, and you know Liz doesn't like it when either her students or staff show up late."

As Mel left the office, she heard Grandmother explain further, "The vision wasn't one of my liking. It would have been a terrible fate for many." As she reviewed the incident, Mel wasn't sure what Grandmother meant.

Sighing to herself, she knew that there was one more place she had to visit, even though she knew it would bring forth both painful and pleasant memories.

Taking a seat at the end of the lake's dock, Mel wrapped her arms around her legs, her eyes with the 'thousand-yard stare'. Slowly, images came to her of another family from what seemed so long ago. Absently, she fingered the pendant around her neck as the people came into view. And even though she could see and hear them, they were only shadows of the past superimposed on the present. She looked at the cliffs off on the other side of the lake where she, as David, would dive into the water. Many times in the past, several years ago, her family visited this very lake to enjoy the summer - a favorite place of her parents. Sitting on the water's edge, fishing with her brother, yelling with excitement when they caught a fish, waiting impatiently for their parents to take pictures before they could unhook the fish and cast their line back into the water. Unwittingly, she wiped a tear as she continued to view a life that was forever lost to her.

Without warning, another image encroached on Mel's happiness, and with a visible shudder of terror, she forced it away, refusing to acknowledge it, lest it destroy the moment. Finally with the insistence of her rumbling stomach, she lifted herself up from her seat and turned to walk back down the dock to the shore. She hesitated momentarily as two lone figures approached. Holly, with her pert breasts and youthful appearance, dressed casually in jeans and a grey sweater for warmth in the cool morning air, had her hair pulled back in a ponytail. She was pretty with her girl-next-door look, Mel thought. Not quite as tomboyish as Mel was, she looked comfortable clad in either jeans and a T-shirt or in a dress for a night out. Holly seemed to enjoy getting attention, unlike Mel.

Next to her, Reba's dad strode next to her; with his rugged looks, he seemed just as comfortable being in the outdoors. A part of Mel thought he was a bit handsome, with his well-build body, unshaven face, jeans, and a red and black plaid shirt. She shook the notion away, embarrassed at thinking such a thought.

"You were gone when we woke up, Mel," Holly said, relieved when the two caught up with her. "Lisa and I were a little worried."

"I'm sorry. I guess I should have left a note or something. I wanted to take some pictures, and you were both so tired after you got here late, so I thought I'd let you sleep in. I got some good ones," Mel replied as the three took in the morning view. Keith and Holly noticed her sad expression. "It's pretty here," she said as the trio turned back toward camp.

"Are you okay?" Holly asked, having read the wistful expression on her face.

"I'm fine. I was just thinking of happier times."

"We were wondering, Mel, if perhaps you might want to talk," Holly asked.

"I'll think about it," Mel replied. She hastened her pace, emphasizing her reluctance to talk - at least not at the moment. With a shared glance and shrug, the adults followed closely behind her.

When Mel poured her cereal, a strange awareness overcame her. Throughout the day, the feeling would persist, gnawing at the back of her mind, forcing her to decide if she really did want to tell, to dredge up the memories. Slowly, she realized that, someday, she was going to have to tell someone, if only to share her lonely burden.

She spent most of the day hiking with her mom and Reba, enjoying the scenery and comfortable autumn weather, pushing the thought away, not ready to deal with it. Having taken her camera along, Mel took pictures of everything - the lake, wildlife, and even Bobby and Brad fishing. She even - reluctantly - permitted Lisa to take a few of her, despite the fact that Mel was camera-shy. Not once during their hike did Lisa ask, but like the others before, Mel knew her mother was biting her tongue to not ask the question that was on everyone's mind.

*************

"Are you doing okay, Mel?" Brad asked discreetly, concerned about his sister. When they had driven up towards Crystal Lake, Mel's anxiety had slowly subsided once they arrived at their destination. Now able to take a hike themselves, the two had a chance to talk alone.

"I'm fine." Mel said as she looked around. "It was just a little overwhelming, if you know what I mean."

"Yeah, that makes sense I guess. What's it like? I mean, for you?"

"You mean what's it like for me knowing I had been your brother or sister at one time?" Mel answered. "You act sort of like him at times, but it's strange, because you have a few differences." Sensing others were behind them on the path, walking to catch up to the two kids, Mel stopped, letting more pleasant memories come to her. "I remember how Mom and Dad would fuss over us. They always made sure we didn't just jump into the water. Well, me anyway. You wanted to explore first, and you'd always managed to drag me along, knowing I couldn't wait to get in my trunks to go to the cliffs."

"Yeah. It was kinda like that for me, too. In my memories, I mean. Dad would do some hiking but we'd end up at the lake. He'd climb along the ledges, trying to get me to follow. It took Dad a bit of coaxing."

"You never did like diving. But you liked climbing and then jumping in."

"It's weird." Brad said.

"Yeah." Mel became quiet once again when she saw Reba and her father approaching.

"I don't know why you guys don't admit it," Reba said having decided she had enough of how the two were acting when she caught up with them. "I mean it's obvious that you both like each other."

"It's not like that," Mel said angrily as Brad started to blush. "Will you just quit?" Mel picked up a rock, tossing it into the water. "We're just good friends."

Reba pulled her friend aside, "Come on, Mel admit it. He's really cute," she insisted once the two separated themselves from the men. "Did you two hold hands, steal a kiss while you were alone?"

"Will you stop, Reba? That's gross. It's not like that. I mean, I do like him really," Mel snapped, irritated at the accusation.

When she saw Reba's grin, ready to start question her further. "Dammit Reba, it's different." Without stopping Mel blurted out. "It's complicated okay, but I do love him. Satisfied?" Mel's hands flew to her mouth, mortified at what she just expressed. Humiliated, she turned, sprinting back to the cabins, leaving the three of them standing there stunned at what she had unwittingly divulged.

*************

"Open the door Mel," Lisa insisted, knocking on the door, her face showed her worry. "We just want to talk, sweetheart."

Slowly, hesitantly, the door opened as Mel peered through, clearly embarrassed. "I didn't mean to say it. I don't know why. She just kept on pushing me."

"I'm sorry about the teasing, Mel," Reba said chastised. "It's just that you two like each other so much."

"Reba, why don't you let Mel explain," Keith intervened between the two. "I'm sure if you let her speak, you'll understand as I'm sure this isn't easy for her."

"No, it's not," Mel agreed, clearly upset. She let Lisa hold her gently by the elbow and lead her out of the cabin to a fire pit. Brushing away the dirt and brush, the two of them sat down on one of the log bench seats around the campfire. Bobby, Reba, and Keith joined them, as did Holly, Vicky and Rob, with Reba and Bobby taking a seat on the benches.

"I didn't want to come here because of the memories." Mel looked at her friends. "It hurts because we - that is me, Brad and his mom - never made it here as a family. It's only because of my breaking into Bikini Beach that Brad is even here, Reba."

"So you knew Brad before?" Both kids were clearly confused. Neither had heard about Mel's transgression.

"No." Brad moved closer, sitting closer to Mel. "Look at us," he said once seated next to her.

Perplexed, Bobby and Reba looked more closely at the two, "Just like your dad and Bobby, Brad knows what the water does at the park." Mel explained. "I never mentioned it because, just like you, I never wanted to embarrass him or Bobby. That is until now, until I have to." Both boys eyed each other warily, shaken in the knowledge that each now knew the other's secret.

"Bobby likes swimming and Brad likes to visit me. He tolerates the changes at the water park and I don't encourage him," Mel explained when she noticed their uneasy looks. "You guys always wondered why Brad looks like me when he changes once he showers inside the water park." Both kids agreed thinking that Mel may have been a distant cousin. "It's because at one time, I looked a lot like Brad, but I was the oldest in the family."

Mel waited for what she said to sink in. "You mean ...?" Bobby and Reba stammered as the implication of Mel's comment came to fruition.

Tentatively, Mel nodded her head in confirmation. "I wasn't born a girl. I was a boy," Mel said slowly. "My name was David, and Brad was, still is my brother."

Slowly Mel recounted her tale of what had happened. "I had escaped from a monster, only to become Melody after I broke into the water park searching for food. I showered because I was filthy and fell asleep in the park afterwards. My punishment was a week of community service to Grandmother at the park."

Watching her brother, he nodded his understanding with what Mel was going to say next. "Earlier Brad had been killed by an evil bastard named Nathan," Mel spat, anger in her voice at even the mention of that name, "and I was held captive with my mother. The parks magic altered my past when I was changed into a girl. Only he and mom were different, not the ones I grew up with."

"Even after everything that happened to me I didn't want to stay a girl. So once my punishment was over, it all changed back." Both Reba and Bobby stared in disbelief as Brad listened. Keith, having stepped behind him, placed comforting hands on the boys' shoulders when Brad gave a shudder. Even with all he'd first learned from hearing Mel's account leading back to his second chance, it still unnerved him. "Once back, I tried calling the police to contact Miss Anya and Officer Jozef as David. But they sent someone else who took me back to Nathan."

Mel took hold of her pendant, holding it before them to see. "With this, I can do magic, but back then, it wasn't together, it was separated, broken by me, and Nathan had half of it. The half he had allowed him to control people, so when Miss Anya and Officer Jozef found me, Nathan used it to try and kill them. I helped fight him, but Nathan had hurt me very badly before I managed to run away. When Miss Anya and Officer Jozef found me later, I was dying, close to dead. The only way they could save me was for Miss Anya to take me back to the park where I woke up once more as Melody."

"So you agreed to stay a girl so your brother could live? I think that's very brave of you, Mel," Reba said with a bit of admiration.

"You don't understand Reba. I _ didn't _ want _ to be a girl. If it wasn't for my friends Vicky, Holly and Mom I wouldn't be here, and neither would my brother." Mel said, finally succumbing to the tears. "I was ready to die. I _wanted_ to die."

"But why?" Reba pointed to Bobby and Brad. "Don't you have the memories of being a girl like them?"

"No! That's what the other half does - it protects my memory. It _makes_ me remember everything that happens to me. I didn't know anything about Melody's life, and I didn't know anything about her family. It scared the shit out of me."

"But that's gotta be so cool, Mel," Bobby said. "I mean not the bad stuff, but if I could do magic I could make people do what I want. No homework, no bed time."

Sighing, Mel asked the obvious question. "Is it Bobby? Would you really use it on your sister or Dad? Wouldn't you be scared of how you could hurt them or others if you got mad? Wouldn't you be afraid that you'd do something to your friends? Yeah it sounds cool, until you have it and don't really think what happens until afterwards," Mel said.

"I didn't think of that." Bobby admitted. "I wouldn't want to hurt my family."

"No, and neither did I." Mel said to her chagrin. "Sometimes having magic sucks. It nearly cost me my life, and it cost me my family."

*************

Later with the sunlight long since faded as late evening approached, everyone gathered around the campfire, and just as before, Mel became the shutterbug, taking pictures of everyone. A dinner of grilled steaks and potatoes had been prepared by Keith before being served with homemade desert. Now each had settled down to enjoy the other's company around the warmth of the campfire. A few times, Mel could see an expected look from Holly or Vicky. Stubbornly, Mel refused to say anything more about her past.

Finally with the campfire quite low, sticks were gathered to roast marshmallows. Several toasted marshmallows later, Mel let one burn away, allowing it to drop into the fire, seemingly forgotten. Her eyes gazed into the embers as if mesmerized, her facial expression a thousand miles away. Some had long given up on the idea of Mel willing to discuss her past when she let out, to no one in particular, "This wasn't what I'd hoped for." Abruptly, conversations ceased when they heard Mel's comment. Everyone realized that the camping trip had changed from a celebration of Mel's achievement to a place where Mel could tell as much or as little of her story to friends she trusted. She needed such a place at that time.

As an awkward silence descended on the camp, broken only by the sound of the crackling fire, Mel continued. "I tried, I really did but …." Lisa had seated herself close to Mel taking hold of her hand. "I wanted to stay with them Mom, really I did," her voice echoed the heavy guilt she felt, looking at her foster mother as if seeking forgiveness for what she was going to say.

"I know you did, honey," Lisa said in understanding, giving Mel's hand a reassuring squeeze. "But don't you think it's time they learned more of the truth?"

Taking a deep breath Mel looked skyward and sighed. "Yeah, I guess."

With her eyes downcast, Mel wanted to turn away, frightened at what she was about to tell. Only with her mother's presence did she continue. "It all started after I agreed to stay as Melody." Mel began. "Mrs. Montgomery, Brad's mom, had picked me up from the park. I was in the first aid building with Vicky after Miss Anya had used her magic to keep me as a girl permanently. There was no turning back once she did that."

"I thought I had control over it, that I could put what happened behind me. Nathan was gone, punished, and I had my mother and brother back. I was alive, even if I was a girl. My past didn't exist anymore. It had been replaced with Melody's life. Brad's mom had kept her word of grounding me after I'd ran away, but trouble started not long after I went home and it was all my fault.

Mel glanced at her brother, sitting there as the fire cast shadows over them. "Maybe Dad didn't really mean it, but you had taken Dads request seriously to look after us, like I had before I changed. You wanted to be the man of the house and watch after me and your mom." Mel stroked the fire with her stick, causing small flames to rise then fall, casting eerie shadows to flicker across their faces as she delved deeper into her memories.

"Just like now, there were some differences with Brad when I first became Melody, but most of my time had been spent away at the water park doing my community service and when I was home I was too tired to stay up after helping Mrs. Montgomery around the house. I hadn't given much thought to how different it was all going to be from the Melody they knew. I had enough problems trying to act like a girl, but it really didn't go so well. My anger, my hatred of what had happened to me was still there, and it affected everything I tried to do."

*************

All around the room screamed at him. The décor spoke volumes of who had occupied this room and what her life was like. Just like David, she had posters scattered along the wall, but hers were of ballet dancers and cute kittens and puppies, not the baseball or race cars that he liked.

David hadn't really cared for the room he'd been made to live that first week. He hadn't planned on staying, just do his community service and then leave, go back to his pathetic life. Now thanks to Anya's magic, this was his new life. A room that seemed to mock him with its femininity.

Around the windows, lace curtains hung while his bedspread was covered with flowers and butterflies. His, no her walls, were cast in pink and white, as was the furniture. Even the vanity chair had frilly lace around it. And it bothered him. He understood the need for one, but a full length mirror on the closet door? He scarcely looked at it when he dressed to go to the waterpark in the morning. He barely glanced at it when he quickly dressed, ignoring it once he'd showered.

And then there were the clothes. Melody, to his eyes, was a girly girl who liked lace and ruffled skirts and blouses. It had taken David a lot of searching in her room just to find a decent pair of shorts that, to him, didn't come off as being totally girly. Looking in what was now his closet with its dresses and skirts, it intimidated, if not frightened, him, as did the dresser and its contents.

Quietly, he locked the door so his mother wouldn't hear, then went to the closet mirror, where her image stared back at him.

Looking at the face, mesmerized by her features, the impact of what he had committed to finally started to sink in. He had been scared, terrified, at what would have happened to him if he hadn't accepted the change. He was nearly thirteen, and he didn't want to die. Not really.

Slowly, embarrassed, he undressed, reluctantly exposing her body. This was who he was going to be, now and forever.

Stripped down to his undies and bra, he looked himself over in the mirror. With auburn hair touching her shoulders, a slight curl turned the ends inward. Small freckles scattered across her face, more concentrated on the center, with just enough to draw people's attention to the pert nose she sported with raised cheeks. Her eyes, hazel but with a hint more green, stared back at him, reflecting what he was feeling. Alone now, away from prying eyes, he gazed at the girl in the mirror and her lip quivered as his did while she stared back at him.

Forcing himself to continue, he took in her other features. He moved past the white and red, heart-covered bra, away from her breasts, not ready to deal with them, down to her waist and then to her hips, which were starting to widen as her hip-bone opened outward slightly to prepare for the possibility of giving birth. Eventually, she would gain some fatty deposits on her buttocks to give her the rounded rear of a shapely girl. And just as quickly he looked past her groin, because the flatness of the matching panties reminded him of what he no longer had.

When he had showered, he always moved quickly past those parts because it unnerved him when he touched those areas; the feelings it invoked were alien and frightening. He felt perverted to see and touch areas that seemed like they were someone else's. Even now, clad in his panties or swimsuit he could see and feel the unwanted differences.

Feeling like a voyeur, he gawked at her image, when from out of nowhere another appeared, causing him to step back, unnerving him as it wafted, ghost-like, over the true reflection. It wasn't the girl that stood before him. The superimposed over the girl was a boy - a spectral image of David staring at him with unseeing eyes, the body frail and worn. His arms, like sticks hanging by his side, lacked the muscles any normal boy his age should have had. Scrawny legs that looked like they would collapse at any moment somehow managed to hold him up.

One leg in particular looked out of place, with the front of what appeared to be a bone pushed forward, jutting out slightly like it had been broken and had never healed correctly, causing the boy to lean slightly to one side. He remembered the hurt and pain he had endured when he first tried to walk on the leg that had healed incorrectly because it had never been properly taken care of. The deformed leg was a solemn reminder of his defiance and what it cost him afterwards.

Looking back at the face, he saw Melody's with a healthy glow, while the specter's pale complexion lacked warmth. Hollow cheeks and lips thin from malnutrition made him appear skull faced. Yet it was his eyes, when he stared at them, which spoke volumes. Sunken and lifeless, they gave the owner the impression of one in pain, haunted, and tormented.

Unable to gaze any longer at the haunting image which was and wasn't him, David turned away from the mirror, turning his attention to the clothes. It didn't matter how plain they looked, he'd never wear them. In his mind one principle stood fast. It was who he considered himself to be, not who others considered him to be. Defiantly, he had once stood up to a monster who wanted to change him. Now he was changed forever, and in ways he'd never expected. But the defiance in his mind still burned as bright. Closing the closet door, he readied himself for bed.

Dressed in his pajamas lying on _her_ bed, he tried to think. Taking hold of the picture of his father and her by the lamp by the bedside, he asked out loud, "Dad what am I supposed to do?" He couldn't escape who he had become. Emotionally, he tried to be strong, but now, in the solitude of his room, David was overwhelmed by the one emotion he never wanted anyone to see. Earlier, he'd kept a brave face so that others could see that he could endure. Now clutching the picture, he let his tears flow, not even trying to wipe them away as he crawled under the covers, afraid of what his life had become.

The next morning, after his mother left for work, David went to work on his room. There wasn't much he could really do around his room, he thought. He frowned. When his chest jiggled, it was incontrovertible evidence that he was _she_ now. There was no arguing with that, especially after her arm brushed against the bra she wore as she tried to remove the girly curtains, so that the only thing left would be the blinds.

Pausing momentarily, she sensed something or someone behind him. Glancing over her shoulder stood her brother, she saw an expression of confusion on his face as he stared, mouth ajar in shock, as she gathered up the posters and curtains from the floor. Brad had never seen her room in such disarray as David went about taking what she could to be disposed of later.

"What are you doing, Sis?" Brad asked as he gawked at the clutter.

"Nothing. Just getting rid of some stuff I don't want anymore."

Leaving his sister alone, Brad shook his head. 'Girls' he though. First she begged for half that stuff and now she didn't want it. He had the feeling that he'd never understand girls, especially his sister.

*************

Mel couldn't take much more. For the past week, she'd obeyed her mother and stayed well within the confines of their yard, only venturing out onto the front lawn or back yard. A few girls had stopped by to chat, but they left when Mel failed to understand their interests in dolls, boys, or other 'girl' interests. It was her lack of freedom that bothered her the most.

When she'd been David, the last few years were spent confined to small enclosures of boarded up rooms with windows sealed and blackened out, denying him any light and warmth from the sun. On the few occasions when he had escaped his prison, he had experienced the harsh punishments of Nathan's wrath, with beatings, starvation and abuse.

Nathan had been learning how to use Brad's half of the pendant, and Nathan used both him and his mother as guinea pigs to experiment on. The pendant seemed to work on his mother and would one day cause her to turn on him because of the magical power of the pendant. But no matter how hard Nathan tried, he couldn't get the same results on him. This, in turn, infuriated the brute, who would then take it out on him afterwards.

Now having had a taste of freedom with her work at the waterpark and football games, she wanted to venture out further, past the confines of her yard, to walk around and explore.

She pleaded with her mother once more, and remarkably, Brad came to her defense, which in turn helped to sway her mother.

"But Mom, it's boring sitting around here." She had some interest in what was on television, but her access to the computer and internet had been restricted.

"I'll go with her, Mom. I'll watch over her." Brad said in his sister's defense. Inside her, resentment grew. It wasn't right. She wasn't some weak-kneed girl needing someone to protect her. She had been the one to look after him, not the other way around, and it galled her to be treated as helpless and fragile. But she gave in, needing to escape the confines of the house. And as the two walked outside her temper simmered inside.

*************

Mel looked at her mother as if she was crazy. She was furious at her mother for refusing to let her go. "Why can't I? If Brad can play football, why can't I go swimming and diving? It's not fair."

"Melody, this isn't just your punishment. I need you around the house. I depend on you to help with the cleaning and upkeep."

Mel was flabbergasted. "What about Brad? Am I the only one who has to do house cleaning? Is this all I'm going to be allowed to do? Chores? Can't I have some time for myself?" It had been weeks since she'd been to the park to swim and play.

Elaine stood firm in her argument. "That was your punishment, Melody, and although I think it was nice of Grandmother to allow you to come back anytime, I think it's best if you stay away from there. Besides, this place doesn't clean itself you know."

Using her fingers Mel ticked off her chores. "I'm the one who cleans the bathrooms. I do the laundry. I clean my room, and Brad's, too, since he's too lazy to put his clothes in the laundry room. I wash the dishes, and I vacuum. Even when I worked at the park, I was given time to relax. I could swim - and dive - as a way for me to wind down, and have some fun. And I haven't been allowed to play with anyone since I finished there. Brad sits around vegging out in front of the TV or talking to his friends in his room."

She gave her brother an accusing look. "When he's not playing, he bitches about how hard he's practiced. He comes home all sweaty and dirty, tracking mud or dirt into his room after I vacuumed, dumping his clothes on the floor before he showers, and then plays video games. He barges into my room without knocking, and demands that I fix him something to eat when I do have a chance to sit down and read."

Brad chimed in, "That's not true, Mel, I do help around the house. I take care of the yard work. I cut the grass, trim the hedges and take the garbage out front. Besides, football practice makes me hungry, and you're good at cooking."

"Oh, please, our yard's not that big, Brad!" Mel countered angrily. "You take less than thirty minutes, while my chores take hours. You could at least help fold clothes and learn to cook for yourself. Hell, it's not that hard to fix a sandwich or use a microwave, jerk."

Joking, Brad replied, "Sis, at least I take out the garbage. It's the manly thing to do. Housework is a girl's job."

"A _girl's _job? Dad and Mom used to have both of us help clean. We shared the responsibilities."

Brad and Elaine looked at each other, puzzled by her words. "What are you talking about, Sis? You always helped Mom with the housework. You always told me to get out of your way as you cleaned."

Seething inside, Mel wanted to scream. She turned angrily and stomped over to her room, slamming the door shut and leaving the two confused. Elaine was shocked to hear the language her daughter had used. Brad was confused with how his sister was behaving. Where did the sudden attitude come from? What did she learn while she worked at the water park?

Lying on her bed, Mel studied the pendant, trying to decipher its inscription. She needed to get away. 'Maybe,' she thought. 'It couldn't hurt could it?' Quickly she pushed the thought away, sickened that she had even considered it. She wasn't like _him_.

*************

Mel loosened the bottom brackets on the bicycle frame. Around her, parts of the bicycle she'd disassembled lay strewn across the garage floor. Earlier, she had heard one of the boys from her brother's football team talk about how he had outgrown the bike and planned to get rid of it. Seizing the opportunity to have something to tinker with other than reading and housework, Mel convinced the older boy to give her the bike. Once she checked it out, both he and her brother could only shake their heads, wondering what had gotten into her. A rusted chain and missing paint didn't seem to deter her, nor that one of the wheels looked bent out of shape. With a gleam in her eyes, she set about finding the necessary tools and proceeded to tear down the bike. Wiping her hands on a rag, she heard the minivan pull into the driveway.

Elaine arrived home from work exhausted from a stressful day at work. She had planned on taking the kids out to dinner not having the desire or energy to cook.

"Just what do you think you're doing, Melody?" Elaine exclaimed, seeing the mess Mel had made of the garage.

"Working on a bike," Mel replied calmly. "I got it from one of Brad's teammates for nothing." She was proud of her accomplishment.

"Since when did you want to fix things, Melody?" Elaine asked, exasperated with her daughter. "You have a perfectly good bicycle," she said, pointing to the pink girls' bike with streamers extending from the handle bar, "sitting in the corner."

"When I worked at the water park, I brought towels to Miss Jenny. It was interesting to see how she kept the park running."

As she brushed herself off, dirt and grease became embedded in her jeans. "So I decided I wanted to learn to things apart, to tinker with things, and Barney had a bike I could take apart, learn how it works, and fix it. And I can fix it," Mel explained. "I have money."

"And that money's to be used to buy you school clothes, not to be wasted on some piece of junk. I don't know what's come over you, sweetheart, but this has to stop. That place seems to have been a bad influence on you."

"What's wrong with me learning how things work?"

"Since when are you interested in taking things apart? You never showed an interest in fixing things before. You even told me it was a boy's job to fix things, not a girl's."

With no memories of who Melody was, Mel was learning just how dramatically different the two of them really were. "Well I was wrong. I can change my mind can't I? Besides, both Jenny and Natty are girls, and they're very good at fixing things!"

Shaking her head, Elaine went through the garage into the house. She didn't know what to make of what was becoming of her little girl. First her room, and now this. "Well stop what you're doing and change. We're going out to eat," she announced before proceeding inside.

Grudgingly Mel put the tools down to clean up. She dreaded the idea of going out. Once when they'd gone to have her hair cut, she'd had to listen to her mother point out a new dress or two that she thought would look nice on her. Then there was the discussion on a new hairstyle Mel wanted to try when they arrived at the beauticians.

"I don't think so Melody. Your hair would look better this way. Don't you think?" she asked, trying to sway the young girl her way.

"But it looks so..." Mel didn't finish. "What's wrong with that one? It looks good on her." Mel said, pointing to one of a girl sporting a pixie cut. "I like it Mom. It's short and easy to manage."

"I said no, and that's final." Turning to the beautician, Elaine said, "Just give her a trim." Elaine wondered what was going on with her little girl.

Seated behind her mother, Mel listened to her mom talk more about the start of school and getting new clothes. "I know just the place," Elaine said, her excitement growing. If it was one thing Elaine knew, it was how her daughter loved to shop for the latest fashion of clothes.

Going to the store had been an unmitigated disaster. Once they entered the mall, her mother headed straight towards a shop that was a favorite for girls Mel's age. Girls' clothes of assorted styles, sizes, and colors were displayed on mannequins to best show off the latest fashions. Inside, girls gushed over what dress or blouse would look good on them, while their mothers fussed over which one would look better before taking them to one of the fitting rooms. Once in the store, Elaine looked back to say something to Mel, but instead of being beside her Mel hadn't come in.

Elaine dashed back out of the store, and for a panicked moment, looked around to find her daughter. After a moment, she spied Mel in one of the other stores going through a section of shirts, looking as if she was going to try them on. It was then that Elaine knew something had to be wrong with her little girl, and taking the disgruntled girl home, she made the decision that she had hoped to avoid.

*************

"Why are we coming here, Mom," Mel asked as they stepped into the clinic.

"I think it's time you talk to someone about why you had run away, honey." Elaine said as they waited by the elevator, concealing the actual reason.

Stepping from the elevator, the two walked down the hall with its glossy tiles gleaming from the bright fluorescent lighting that led their way. Stopping in front of a closed office door, Mel frowned when she read the sign that said 'Mental Health.' She had the sudden feeling that her mom wasn't being completely forthcoming. Following her mom, she hesitantly stepped into the office.

The office décor was carefully designed to appear soothing, safe, and comfortable. Several nice pictures of sunny and happy landscapes hung on the walls. Plush chairs were arranged to feel homey, and several plants were placed strategically around the room. There was a play table with brightly-colored toys and children's books in one corner for younger patients.

Elaine walked directly to the reception window. "We have an appointment to see Dr. Latimore."

The receptionist gave the pair a warm heartfelt smile. "Yes, he's expecting you. Please make yourself comfortable, and he'll be with you shortly. It's nice to see you again, Melody." Giving the girl a friendly smile as she pulled up the girls record for her meeting with the doctor.

Mel knew then this wasn't the first time Melody had been here, and she suddenly worried what the _previous_ Melody had talked with the doctor about. Would he be able to see that she was a different person? Would he want to lock her away because she seemed to have mental problems?

A tall, slightly overweight gentleman stepped out to great them. White hairs were liberally interspersed with what remained of his natural brown hair, and his face showed slight wrinkles that creased his forehead. He looked like a friendly Grandfather in his checkered tweed sweater and tan Docker pants. Dr. Latimore extended his hand in greeting, shaking Elaine's hand warmly, and then turning to Melody. She instinctively shied away from the doctor. "Right," he seemed to catch himself.

As the trio stepped inside his office, they were greeted with the same soothing décor to help ease his patients.

Almost an hour later, he escorted the two back to the reception area. "I'd like weekly sessions," he directed Elaine. "Kelly will get you set up." His smile held until he was alone behind a closed door. Her behavior had changed radically from the other sessions he'd had with her. Mel, as she insisted that she be called, barely talked to him. All of the earlier bonds he had forged with her seemed to have suddenly vanished. He relooked over his notes. None of the previous tests or sessions had shown any tendency towards the sudden changes in the young girl.

*************

With several sessions behind her, Mel wanted to listen in on what Dr. Latimore was saying to her mother behind closed doors. She could tell the sessions weren't faring well as she remained tight lipped about her past. His questions about her personal life had become more insistent and invasive as they discussed her feelings on Nathan and how he had tried to coax her into having a relationship with her, to how she started wanting to dress like her brother.

Then there were the tests he'd insisted that she take. He'd told her that there was no right or wrong answers, but to just to answer them truthfully, which she did. Afterwards she came to realize her mistake. Once finished, Dr. Latimore looked them over, comparing them to the other Melody's responses. She'd been asked to leave temporarily while he had a discussion with her mother. In private. The receptionist Kelly ensured that Mel stayed away from the door, allowed to either read a book or watch TV.

When the door opened Mel could see the nervous glance her mother gave her as she left the office.

"Mrs. Montgomery I want you to consider everything we've discussed. I think it would be for the betterment of your daughter if you'd take my advice."

Driving home, Elaine looked over the shirt her daughter was wearing. They had been pressed for time when she arrived home to take her daughter to her scheduled appointment so was unable to have her change. "Where did you pick up that shirt Melody?" She refused her daughters request in calling her Mel.

"It's one of Brad's shirts. I couldn't find any that I liked and my others need to be washed."

"If I'd had known Dr. Latimore was behind schedule I'd made sure you didn't wear that thing." Elaine complained. There were several holes throughout. Luckily most were down at the lower end.

"If you'd let me have the type of shirts that I do like I wouldn't have worn it," Mel complained. “I don't like any of the other ones, and the ones I do are kinda small on me now on the top."

It was then Mel made a decision, fingering her pendant. "Mom why don't you _buy me_ those shirts," Mel asked. “I need new ones anyway and some better jeans for school."

"If it will keep you from wearing your brother's clothes, fine." Elaine agreed.

Arriving home after their own shopping, Mel carried several bags inside, convincing herself that it was okay. She needed the clothes before school started and promised herself she wouldn't do it again.

*************

With the start of school Mel had become more withdrawn, reserved, not wishing to socialize with the other kids. With its halls crowded between classes, Mel felt intimidated by the sudden influx of students going between classes. The truth of the matter was she was afraid of them. For years, she'd had no social contact except her immediate family and the monster Nathan. After witnessing Brad's death, she'd withdrawn further into a shell. It seemed that every time she tried to come out of that shell, she found herself viewing his horrifying death at Nathan's hands. Added with that knowledge was how Nathan had started to turn her mother against her with her verbal insults.

Now with Brad alive, yet different, she'd shied further away from him, unable to depend on him to help her cope with the social attitudes of other kids around her. When she had been a boy, the two ventured out together. Brad with his more social, outgoing mannerism helped David to cope with the unease he experienced with large groups of kids as they were growing up. Now a girl, she was out of her element, as Brad's views were different with a sister more interested in dolls and playing dress-up. Where the brothers had hung out together, Melody and Brad were separate in their ways. Mel had found out the hard way when Brad rejected her overtures at wanting to throw footballs or help him practice afraid he'd 'accidentally' hurt his sister. He didn't even want to be seen with her until recently, as his interest in girls was expanding and he began to see Mel as a way of meeting them.

Unable to rely on Brad for help, Mel didn't know how she was going to deal with the gauntlet of boys and girls. Especially the other boys with their own social issues and interests.

************

Two boys blocked Mel, almost cornering her as she retrieved a book from her locker. "Hi, Melody," one of the boys began, conspicuously looking her over. With his red hair and attitude, Mel could tell he considered himself hot stuff.

"What do you want Heath?" Mel asked, her voice guarded as she tried to hurry away from him. Even dressed conservatively in jeans, a loose fitting polo shirt and tennis shoes, she found it unsettling how he looked at her.

Heath followed next to her, as Mel quickly moved away. "Well, I was wondering if I might walk with you to class since we're heading the same way." Mel tried to ignore the two as they headed down the hall to class, but Heath gave her butt a quick squeeze.

Mel stopped midstride at the unexpected grope, so suddenly that the other boy, Noah, bumped into her from behind. That, in turn, caused her to lose her balance, forcing her against the wall. Heath quickly raised one hand to grab hold of Mel's arm as the other reached up to help break her fall. Either intentionally or accidently, he placed that hand against her breast, while Noah acted like he stumbled from the hit. One of his hands went to the wall as the other fell on her groin. Mel gasped in disbelief at their brazen actions, and her mind went on the defensive at the looks both gave her with their shit-eating grins. Overwhelmed at what just happened, Mel spoke in a forceful tone for the two to hear, "Get your hands off of me." Quickly both boys removed themselves from her. Humiliated, Mel could see the looks other kids gave them as they passed by. None stopped to help her as the two boys continued to smirk at her. "Fucking pervs. You think it's funny?"

"Come on Melody, it was an accident." Heath said nonchalantly. "I mean you did stop and I did try and catch you." Heath made sure he said it out loud for others to hear, to focus the blame away from him. Some of the girls in a snobbish little clique started rumors about how Melody had flirted with boys over the summer.

Mel could see it was all a lie, a show put on to humiliate her and keep themselves out of trouble. A thought came to her. "You guys think it's fun to go and grab someone's butt?" A snigger emanated from Mel's lips. "Noah, how would you like it if Heath started _grabbing_ your butt? I bet you'd be so _giddy_ and _happy_ if he did, wouldn't you? Heath, I bet _you'd _love it if you did. Wouldn't you?" Neither boy realized what was happening as she continued to put suggestions in their minds. "Oh the two of you would look so _cute_ holding hands. I bet others will thing it fun if you both _walked_ hand in hand_ to class giggling like the other girls.

The sound of the first bell went off signaling that they needed to hurry to their next class. "We gotta hurry, perhaps it would be better if you _skipped_ to class." Both boys giggled as Mel watched the two boys skip away from her with happy grins, holding hands leaving her standing there with a small grin.

Girls and boys gawked at first, and then laughed aloud as they watched the two boys prancing hand-in-hand down the hall in school. Most knew them as being tough kids, but now they were acting and giggling like they were school girls, or like they were gay. Other kids stopped and stared when the boys approached them merrily and completely, unconcerned. 'Serves them right,' Mel thought with satisfaction, watching the two leave as she hurried on to her next class

*************

Mel had to deal with the dizzying array of classes that her previous self had selected. She was overwhelmed with even those subjects. The core classes were a struggle for her as she tried to comprehend things that the other students took for granted. Her memories of being David, and being out of school for so long, left her significantly behind her peers.

"Do you guys think you can help me?" Mel asked hopefully, desperate to have their help. She'd been forced to use the pendant on her mother again, saying she missed them and she did. It wasn't a lie, just not the whole truth.

Vicky looked through the array of books. It had been years since Vicky had worked any of the math problems that Mel had questioned her on."

"Are you sure this is how they want you to answer the questions Mel?" Vicky asked. She had either forgotten how they phrased the questions or the teachers had changed how math was being taught. Even Holly seemed perplexed by how the simple questions had been phrased.

"Let's forget the math for the moment," Holly suggested. "They couldn't have changed how to write that poorly."

As Mel paid rapt attention, Holly tried to explain the intricacies of writing. "A verb, Mel, is a word that characteristically is the grammatical center of a predicate and expresses an act, occurrence, or mode of being." Holly explained patiently.

Holly saw the confused look when Mel asked, "Uh, what's a predicate again?"

"It's what modifies the verb. Because the subject is the person, place, or thing that a sentence is about, the predicate must contain a verb explaining what the subject does. Surely, Mel, you remember this stuff from when you were in elementary school."

"Uh yeah. It's, uh, it's been a while since I've had to use them. And writing's never been one of my easier subjects.

As each of the older girls talked, Mel tried to follow what was being explained, asking more and more questions. A few of the subjects she started to understand. "Thanks for your help." Mel said several hours later as she gathered her books and papers to leave. She needed the extra time to study for another upcoming test. "I'll figure it out."

*************

Groans and a few sighs of relief could be heard as the teacher passed the papers back to the students when they saw their grade. A few heard a "Well done," or "Nice work." To others, he carried a neutral expression when he laid the paper down in front of them. Students looked at each other, able to tell who had passed or who had failed by the teacher's demeanor.

Stopping at Mel's desk, the teacher placed the paper face down. She saw a flicker of concern before he moved to the next desk. With much dread, Mel looked at her paper. She had studied hard, or she had tried too. Saddled with her home chores and needless interruptions by her brother, she'd had a hard time studying. It didn't help that both of them shared the same classes and those same teachers seemed to be compelled to compare the two of them even if she was the oldest. A few had even remarked that Mel could use a few of Brad's study habits. The problem was that studying came easy for him now. Before they were kidnapped, the two had always helped each other.

When she heard the bell for the end of class, Mel gathered her books to leave. A voice called to her, though. "Melody can I talk to you for a moment?"

Mel approached the teacher's desk. "Melody, I'm afraid I'll need to talk with your mother," he said, handing her a note. "This is the third test you failed and …"

Mel couldn't believe what was happening. First, she had been in trouble for running away, then she had trouble with other kids, now even with Vicky's and Holly's help, she'd failed a test. In desperation, she said, "I think _you're wrong_ Mr. Prichard? I passed my tests. _See_." Mel said forcefully pointing to the paper.

Confused, Mr. Prichard looked at the grade. "Look, you gave me a _B_ on it." Mel reiterated firmly.

"You're right, Melody. My mistake," he said when he looked at what was clearly a paper marked with an F. "I don't know how I could have been mistaken." She took the paper back.

"And I think you were wrong about my other grades also," Mel said. She looked at the test. She didn't want to make it to obvious. "You gave me two C's, remember?"

"Well so I did," agreeing with her. He couldn't understand how he had made such an error. "Well, that will be all. I'll be sure to correct those errors."

Leaving, she was amazed at how easy it was to use the magic, as the confused teacher corrected what he thought was a clerical error on his part. Mel knew what she did was wrong. The question she had for herself was why had she done it? Her mother expected her to have good grades. She promised herself it wouldn't be too obvious. Just B's and C's. Well maybe an A or two.

**************

In her dream, Mel thought she heard laughter as she walked the school halls towards her next class. As she approached a cluster of students, the laughter stopped, and they stared at her silently. After she passed them, she once again heard the sound of laughter behind her. She ducked into the girls bathroom to escape the mocking laughter in the halls, and the laughter seemed to turn sinister. Looking in the mirror to straighten her hair, she wondered how it had become so tangled. Struggling to brush out the knots, she caught sight of something from the corner of her eyes. She turned quickly, but the figure wasn't there, but the laughter continued.

Slowly, she turned to face the mirror, wondering if the shadowy figure would reappear. She was puzzled, trying to figure out what was going on. Was it the magic causing it, she wondered as she grew more frightened. Staring in the mirror, she saw a black figure come towards her, materializing out of nowhere, slowly coalescing into the form of a young girl of Mel's age, a figure that was fuzzy and difficult to focus clearly on. She had a horrifying thought - was it Nathan? Terrified, she fled the bathroom, no longer caring about her hair, running down the hallway. Rounding a corner the image appeared in front of her, the spectral face displaying an evil grin as the phantom just stood there. The kids gathered around said nothing, but pressed closer and closer, hemming her in, as the laughter grew louder and louder. She spun to flee, but the ring of students gave her nowhere to escape. She turned and saw the ghostly figure drawing inexorably closer.

"Stay back," Melody yelled, trying to command the image away from her as she tried to run. "Go away. _LEAVE ME ALONE_." She pushed through the circle of kids, but she looked over her shoulder back at the image. It was no longer there. Panicking, she turned her head back, and pulled up short, terror on her features, as the figure stood before her, a spectral arm reaching out toward her. She tried to back up, but the kids had gathered behind her, effectively penning her in. The hand slowly passed into her, in her breasts, steeling cold fingers chilling her to the bone, as she beheld the figure - herself! - leering at her.

Sitting upright in bed, her heart pounding, Mel felt the beads of perspiration on her forehead. Breathing heavily, she looked around her room, terrified. It was only a nightmare, she told herself over and over in an attempt to calm her frightened nerves. Shaking, she reached out to turn on her lamp to check her room. Her fingers trembled on the switch causing the lamp to shake as she struggled to turn the lamp on. She checked under her bed and in her closet as well, illogical as she knew it was, just to ease her mind. Thankfully, her outburst hadn't awakened either her mother or brother.

An hour passed with Mel scrunched up on her bed clutching her knees under her blanket. Feeling exhausted, Mel tried to relax and pulled her pillow close as she turned sideways away from the light, feeling an overwhelming need to keep it on to help keep the nightmares away. She jumped at the sound of a pipe expanding, again when the house creaked. Eventually Mel drifted into a fitful slumber, wondering what was happening and terrified of a recurrence of the nightmare.

*************

Waving bye to her mother, Mel flashed Anya a smile. "It's been awhile Mel. We missed you," Anya said in greeting, having seen Elaine drop Mel off at the front before she took Brad out shopping.

"I know, it's been like forever," Mel replied nervously, giving Anya a quick hug in greeting. "I hope I'm still allowed." The stress in Mel's voice was unmistakable.

"Mel, what makes you think you're not allowed? You have a full membership." Anya said, escorting the girl to the turnstiles. "You do still have your pass, don't you?" she asked when Mel paused at the gate.

"Right here," Mel said, fishing her lifetime membership from her purse. "It's just that Mom, well…,"

"Is something wrong Mel?" Anya asked, her features reflecting her concern for her young friend.

"No, nothing," Mel replied quickly and nervously. She hated that she had used a little magic on her mom, but she needed to get away and relax from school, and the household chores, and the nightmares. She _had_ to use a little suggestion once more. A tiny bit, she told herself. It wasn't like what she had done to those dumb boys.

Mel headed towards the lockers, but Anya call out to her, "Mel?"

Turning, she saw Anya pointing towards the ladies showers. "Those are for the boys. Girls are this way."

Looking up, she saw that she was heading towards the men's showers. Her cheeks flushed as she turned back toward the women's lockers. "Thanks." She noticed the odd look Anya gave her. Yep, she told herself, she really needed this.

Lounging on one of the lawn chairs, Mel was letting the sun warm her. She felt a sudden chill when a shadow fell over her, blocking the sun's rays. She had wanted to hit the diving boards, but she changed her mind when she realized that she wasn't relaxed enough to do any serious diving. Besides, there was a class going on, and she didn't want to disturb the instructors. Instead, she had gone to the obstacle course, but even that didn't catch her interest as much as simply resting on a chaise.

"Not good enough for a visit? Or are we too unskilled for your grace?" The voice was a strong soprano, and quite familiar to Mel, and the tone was friendly teasing.

Mel opened her eyes to see the outline of a middle aged woman wearing the standard red staff swimsuit, hovering over her, blocking the sun's rays from her. Lisa squatted down so she was at the same level as Mel's head, so she wouldn't have to squint into the sun. There was a sad smile on Lisa's face. "I heard that you were here. I thought for sure you'd come straight to the diving boards." Her voice carried a bit of sadness.

"I'm sorry. I saw you had classes going on, and I didn't want to disturb you." Mel said. "I really didn't feel like diving at the moment anyway."

Mel gave Lisa a warm embrace, and then stood when Lisa tugged her out of the chair. With Lisa's arm around Mel's shoulders, the two strolled to the concession stand. "Anya said you looked a little tired, and maybe a little upset. There's nothing wrong, I hope." Her voice conveyed a sense of worry, but she didn't want to pry too deep in the girl's home life. "How are things going at home now? It has been a while since you last visited us."

"It's going okay." Mel said noncommittally, looking away as she said it.

Having purchased a few snacks and drinks, the two found an unoccupied table. "I could use your help if you're interested."

Mel eyed the older woman warily, but then forced herself to soften her look. "Really? I thought Grandmother was just trying to make me feel good when she said I could help out."

Lisa looked surprised. "If Grandmother said you could help, she meant it. She very picky about who she allows to work in her park."

"But I'm just a kid."

"And a very observant one at that." Lisa pointed out, taking a sip of her drink. "Do you know how many girls you inspired when they saw you dive? I now have girls trying to teach each other! But I can't catch all the mistakes like you do."

Mel blushed at the compliment. "I don't know. I mean some of them didn't like what I told them."

"And a lot more of them listened and they are better divers for it. A few did drop out of mine and Liz's classes, but that always happens." Lisa explained. "Liz and I are very good teachers but…" Lisa gave Mel one of her cheerful smiles, "even we can use a little help. Besides I thought I would try to talk you into joining the swim team when you go to high school."

Mel found her cheeks reddening more at the compliment. "Didn't you know, I'm always on the prowl looking for talented girls." Lisa said with a soft growl as she raked the air with her hand. Mel couldn't suppress a giggle.

"I have an extended class for the girls next Saturday. Many are from my high school, and they're coming to get some extra practice."

Mel gave her a questioning look. "Even though some of these kids have been diving a lot longer than you, Mel, they aren't _natural_ divers like you are. They work very hard, but they need some talented, critical tips, and maybe a little competition to spur them on. I though perhaps you might show them your stuff."

*************

"I don't know what's so special about her," Irma said as the other girls watched Mel take another dive off the one meter board. "The dives she's shown us aren't all that special. We do those all the time. I'm guessing that she's Miss Covington's pet student."

Dede gave a smirk. "I heard a bunch of those nerdy college guys took the videos. I bet they doctored those video's to make her look good."

"Did you see how Miss Covington hovers over her. She's practically fawning over her like she's some star or something," another girl, Candice volunteered.

"I think you're just upset because she pointed out how bad your form was, Candice," Dede said, trying to goad the other girl. "I bet you could do a better dive than she can. That last one she did wasn't so hot."

"Yeah. Did you see how she had her legs apart? I bet she's not as good as she thinks she is."

As Mel approached the girls, she could hear them snickering. She was wearing a familiar blue and silver skin tight diving suit from when she had made the NRD's video's previously. She was thinking of her last dive, and she'd heard the snarky comment about her legs splayed open on the last dive, further then they should have been. The older girl was right. Her form hadn't been as good as it could have been. As it _should_ have been.

Normally she would be tightly focused on her dives, but she'd been distracted by events at home, from Brad's constant watch over her to her mom complaining about how she dressed like her brother. She was highly frustrated by her mother's displeasure in her acting like a tomboy, and even more by the ongoing meetings with the psychologist, who was giving hints that he thought there was something very wrong with her. And if those distractions weren't enough, she was still having the nightmares.

"Where's Miss Lisa going?" Mel asked as she dried herself off, watching Lisa walking toward the swimming lanes.

"Another instructor needed to talk to her. She said we could continue our dives, but not from the platforms," Candice said. "That last dive didn't look so good." Her last comment was harshly critical.

"I know. My legs were open further then they should have been, and I over-rotated a little, so my legs hit behind me."

"Well I guess we all can have a bad day." The comment from the girl mocked Mel.

"Tell me, Melody, those videos are faked aren't they?" Dede ask innocently, but with a wicked, malicious gleam in her eyes. "I mean nobody's that good. I mean not at your age."

"I didn't fake those dive, Mel countered angrily. "I did every one of those dives. In case you didn't notice, the videos even showed the ones that weren't that good."

"Uh huh. You're what, ten? Eleven?"

"I'm thirteen. I did them when I was twelve."

"You’re kinda small for someone who's thirteen." Most of the taller girls were in their Sophomore and Junior years.

"Well if you're so good," Dede said making quotation marks with her fingers, "why don't you and Candice have a contest? Best two out of three." Dede wasn't even on the school diving team. She was just waiting for Candice to finish so they could hang out and enjoy the park rides afterwards.

Mel picked up how the two were setting her up. "Not interested," Mel said as she continued to dry herself off.

"Oh, so you're just afraid," Dede taunted."

"I didn't say that. I just don't like showing off," Mel replied becoming irritated by the older girl.

"Leave her alone, Dede," Candice said coming to Mel's defense. "She knew exactly what mistakes she'd made. She knows what she's doing."

"Oh so you're saying that she can beat you."

Mel had enough. The girl was just looking for a fight. "If I'm so bad why don't _you_ take the challenge? That is if you're not afraid?"

"Of you, shrimp, hardly."

"Mel, she's not even part of the swim team, and I don't think Miss Covington would approve."

"You don't have to defend me, I've done some diving."

"Okay let's start off easy then." Mel said. Whoever this girl thought she was, Mel knew that she wasn't a diver. "I'll go first, then, so you have the advantage."

"Fine. Candice can judge who's better then."

"Uh ugh." Mel said. With several of the girls gathering to watch, Mel picked three. "They can be the judges. That way there can't be a tie."

"Fine."

Mel started to climb the high dive.

"Wait, I thought we were doing the regular diving boards!" Dede exclaimed.

"I'm more of a high diver than a low diver," Mel replied with an icy calmness. "But if you want…." She relished the way she'd coldly rattled the other girl with the high board, especially after all the catty comments from Dede and her friends.

Dede looked nervously at her friend as self-doubt crept in as Mel methodically tested the board before going back to her starting position. She had been sure the other girls would have backed her up believing the girl was just some upstart that Lisa was encouraging, but the other girls just looked on with interest.

Mel took three light steps as she neared the end of the board, followed by gracefully drawing herself up and springing on the end of the board. Her body stiffened as her arms reached skyward before she brought her legs upward in front of her, forming a tight V, allowing her toes to touch the palms of her hands. Finished, she arched backwards, bringing her arms down as she rotated perfectly, knifing into the water with almost no splash.

Surfacing, Mel carried a knowing grin about how well her dive had gone. She could see how the older girl was shaken by her simple dive as the three judges gave approving thumbs up.

Hesitantly Dede climb the steps, dismayed at how her plans had suddenly twisted around. Unsure she stood on the end of the board, looking out to the end and the water which suddenly seemed to be miles below the high board. She grimaced when Mel called, "It's not that far. _I know_ you can do it."

Snapping back, Dede called out trying to buy more time. "I'm thinking." In reality, she was quite nervous about the dive. She wasn't very proficient with the high boards, and her skills on the low boards were more of the low-difficulty forward and backwards dives with a few somersaults that most girls did. Her skills were not up to competition-standards.

A sudden gleam formed in Mel's eye when she called out, "How about a one and a half forward somersault in the pike position. That's simple."

"Yeah, I think I'll do that," Dede said taking the 'suggestion' Mel offered.

"Go on." Mel said encouragingly. "_It's not that difficult_. Just think of _how great_ a diver you are compared to me, how easy it must be for you to do."

Her self-esteem bolstered by Mel, Dede strode confidently from one end of the board to the other then back as she prepared to perform a dive she had never done before.

*************

"What were you thinking Mel?" Anya demanded as Mel stood before her in the office. "If I hadn't come by that girl would have been hurt."

Standing next to her the other instructors wondered the same thing. Neither Lisa nor Liz had ever seen Mel act with such apparent malice.

"She would have deserved it." Mel said without a hint of remorse. "She was acting like a bully."

"Then you should have come and told one of us," Liz said admonishing the girl. "That's what we're trained for."

"I'm sick of how other girls pick on me, thinking that just because I'm small, I'm not good," Mel complained bitterly.

"To using your magic on her for vengeance was wrong, Mel," Anya said. "You knew that she wasn't good enough to do competitive dives from the three-meter board."

"Well, you stopped her, so can we just forget about it.

From the way Mel had been acting Anya suspected something was wrong. "Mel, is there anything you want to talk about? Your home life, how your adapting?"

"My home life is nobody's business, so let's forget about it." Mel said, her irritation growing.

Sitting away from the group Grandmother listened to how Anya was handling the younger girl. There was something about Mel's demeanor that troubled her, and her own memories were comparing Mel's actions to those of another young girl just a little older than Mel. Deeds of misconduct where the girl had brazenly misused her magic, in defiance of her mother, to punish those whose misdeeds had merely annoyed the girl.

"Melody." Grandmother said, interrupting the conversation with an urgency in her voice. "You haven't been using your magic on others indiscriminately, have you? Out of anger?"

"I've used it." Mel said indifferent. "Against some boys that wanted to hurt me. Yeah. So?"

Grandmother uttered a phrase none could understand and a chill seemed to go through her. "I've told you how there is a darkness that all magic users must guard against. A place that we must never go, or else we become corrupted by its very nature."

"My magic's different. It's not like yours."

"Not quite," Grandmother said. "Magic is magic, no matter its source. Using your magic on others for the wrong reason can lead you to that dark place. Dark magic corrupts the soul, Melody. It blackens the heart to where you no longer know what is right or wrong. It's what corrupted and cost me my daughter, Anya's mother."

"Well I'm not like her. I survived Nathan. I'm stronger than her."

"Just what did Nathan do to you Mel?" Grandmother asked. "How did Nathan use the pendant on you?"

"It's none of your business so forget about it."

Cautiously, Anya tried to draw the information from Mel. "He hurt you, didn't he. More than physically. We know he hurt your family, and you."

Mel felt her anger rising. "Stop it. I don't want to talk about it, do you understand."

"Mel, we only want to help you."

"I said stop it. All of you forget about it."

To the side Mel heard a song begin, a song that was soft and in a language she didn't understand. The sound grew stronger, and louder as Grandmother became concerned about the way Mel was acting.

"Mel," Lisa started to say, stopping and recoiling in fear at the wild, uncontrolled look on Mel's face.

"I said _Forget about it._ Forget about this conversation, forget about what happened earlier." And just as she gave out the command, Mel's face contorted in pain as the power of her pendant reflected back and smashed into her, her own magic suggestion counter-acting the purpose of its creation. Staggering away from them, Mel fumbled for the door leading away from the park, her head acing so badly that her vision was clouded. In her anger, she hadn't seen the nearly-transparent golden sphere encasing the four women, a barely-visible sign of the ancient protection spell Grandmother had invoked to protect herself, Anya, Lisa, and Liz.

*************

Brad relaxed on the couch in front of the TV playing a video game. Clad in only his t-shirt and gym shorts, he wolfed down a sandwich and guzzled a bottle of soda which had overflowed after being opened. On the floor, stains were still evident from where he had made a halfhearted attempt to wipe up the liquid, leaving the rag nearby. Crumbs were scattered over the floor and the sofa as he jockeyed about trying to maneuver his character along the TV screen.

"I am so not going to clean up this mess," Mel said through clenched teeth as she came back into the living room, having just started a fresh load of laundry. This wasn't how she envisioned spending her time after school - cleaning up after her brother constantly. "Can't you at least finish cleaning up the mess you made?" Mel's complaint fell on deaf ears.

"Hey, at least I fixed me a sandwich like you wanted. It's not going to matter, anyway. Mom's going to want you to steam clean the carpet anyway. You know how she is about keeping the house clean."

"Me? What about you? Is this all you're going to do? Games and football?"

"Hey, it's not my fault that I got my homework done before you."

"I'd have my homework done faster if 'someone' would help around the house instead of making more work for me. Like folding clothes or …" Mel yelled.

Coming into the house, Elaine heard the kids arguing. She sighed, not ready to deal with another bout from her children. "What seems to be the problem now?"

Suddenly, both kids started telling her their side of the story in a loud and vocal manner. "Stop it, both of you." Pointing to one, she listened as Brad explained how he'd finished his homework and was playing, only to have Mel start yelling at him.

Mel's temper flared as her brother was leaving out key pieces of what had started the argument.

"Is this true Melody?" Elaine looked at her daughter, waiting.

"No!" Mel said. "It's like he always does. Makes a mess, expecting me to clean up after him. Well I'm not doing it." Mel stomped her foot for emphasis.

"Well, one of you is," Elaine said once she saw the mess over by the sofa. "What's going on with you two? You've never argued this much before?" All during the conversation Elaine kept a watchful eye on her daughter, expecting her to relinquish. "Where's that sweet daughter of mine and her forgiving brother?"

Mel looked at her brother when an evil thought came to her. "Well if my _loving_ brother really loved me he'd clean up after himself. _Wouldn't you_?"

"But Sis."

"Come on Brad. _You know_ it was your fault. It's not like it's going to hurt you to _help me_ every so often." Mel put on a smile as she started to sweet talk her brother into finally helping with the housework.

"Well no, I guess it won't." Brad said, relenting without much argument.

"Good you can start by cleaning up that mess and afterwards _help_ with the clothes."

Elaine was elated when both her children came to an agreement. It had been the first time in weeks that the two weren't bickering. "Good, now that we've settled that argument, Melody you can help me with dinner." Elaine left the two talking as she headed over to the kitchen to start preparing their evening supper.

Situated around the dinner table, Elaine listened with surprise when Brad rattled off a list of chores he was willing to do around the house. She could see the surprised smile her daughter exhibited at hearing the news.

"Finally!" Mel exclaimed with relief at hearing the list. Her reaction, though, seemed forced, or rehearsed.

"That reminds me Melody, Elaine said putting her fork down. "We have another session the day after tomorrow.

Mel's face seemed to go crestfallen, but she perked up quickly. "Do I have to go Mom? I've got tons of homework and I really _don't like the sessions_."

"Melody, honey, they're for your own good." Elaine recalled her meeting with the doctor, which made her want Melody to continue the sessions.

"Mom, _I don't want to go_. I'm fine_."

"Well if you're sure, baby." She gave in easily as Mel nodded her head enthusiastically. "Well then I guess that's settled also. I'll call the receptionist tomorrow and cancel the sessions." Neither Brad nor Elaine saw the grin Mel exhibited as they continued to eat. Neither realized how manipulative Mel was becoming.

*************

Mel woke from the dream, her breathing coming in halted pants as she gasped for air. Hand on her breast, the vivid dream had sent her hand to wrap around the pendant as the nightmare played out once more, even awake. The shadowed figure of herself approaching her with Nathans menacing laugh, to thrust her dark hand around Mel's heart telling her how evil she was.

Throwing her covers aside Mel climbed out of bed, to open her door to catch her breath, going to the kitchen. No one appeared awake to Mel's relief.

Coming into the living room, Mel found her mother and brother standing there smiling. Mel jumped slightly, startled by their unexpected appearance as she'd never heard them wake when she dispensed the water from the refrigerator.

"Is everything alright sweetheart," her mother asked, the voice seemed cold, devoid of emotion as with Elaine's eyes, vacant at the sight of her daughter, the smile out of place.

"I'm fine Mom, go back to bed." Mel said, only the two stayed there. Slowly they started walking towards her when out of nowhere laughter filled the house once more, to emanate from Elaine.

What started off as her mother's voice changed in texture and tone as she approached, followed by Brad not far behind her.

Once more the sound of Nathans voice echoed in the room as Mel watched her mother change before her. Elaine's form shimmered as she grew in height, her chest broadening, her hair shortened and change color. Muscles developed on her arms along with a deeper set of hair. Her nightgown split in two, the top half forming into a muscle shirt displaying the broad muscles. His pants forming out of the other material.

Beside her or him now, Mel watched as her brother transformed. His hair lengthening, his facial features softening as he slowly shrank in size. She watched as small breasts formed on his chest as his own muscles deteriorated into the fine shape of a young girl. Both of her family members started to emit an evil hiss as the metamorphosis continued. Backing up Mel dropped the glass of water she carried as the two approached her. She tried to move away from them only her legs felt like lead, her movements like molasses whereas theirs were faster. Far faster than they should have been. Somehow she managed to move away from the two as she made her way back to her room slamming the door shut, locking it as she heard Nathan then what sounded like her mother laugh on the other side.

Scrambling, Mel opened her closet door looking to retrieve a dress as she tried to change clothes, but to stop, bewildered on what she was grabbing.

"What's the matter Melody?" The voice hissed from the other side of her door as she stood there looking in the mirror.

Transfixed, Mel tried to move away, mesmerized by the image of David who appeared before her, crippled, holding the same dress as she did, as he took a life of his own.

Slowly, by his own conventions, the mirror image put on the dress, to revel in the pleasure of wearing the garment, twirling before her, as he morphed once more into Melody.

Eerily Mel's reflection touched the glass that separated the two, pressing forward as ripples developed from where her fingers touched, to pass through the barrier separating the two. Mel's hair stood upended on the back of her head as she tried to back away, never taking her eyes off of her doppelganger, to tumble backwards on her bed as the mirror image stepped out, an evil grin on her lips.

"Welcome to the family," Nathan said, opening her door with ease, as if the door was never locked, allowing access for both him and what now appeared to be a teenage version of her mother, dressed in a revealing outfit, emphasizing the features of a girl wanting to attract the attention of the opposite sex.

Mel screamed terrified as the three approached her, "_Stay away, from me, all of you. I'm not like you. I'm not."

"But sweetheart you are," came the voice of her mother from the young girl. "Look at what you've done." She gave a sweet sickly smile as she took hold of Nathans strong arm, cuddling it close. "It's just like he wanted. Isn't that right Nathan dear?"

Mel's eyes grew, frightened as the terror took hold of her when her doppelganger climbed on the bed, arms outstretched, placing them on Mel's shoulders, cold to the touch. "We're just like him, aren't we?"

Mel tried to push the other away, "I'm not like him. I'll never be like him," only to have her hands pass inside the other girl.

Screaming, Mel woke once more in her bed as an icy chill tried to take over her, tumbling out of bed. "I'm not him you hear. I'm David. David Montgomery."

Frantically she looked around her room. Her heart racing once more. Was she in another dream?

Desperately she pinched herself, feeling pain as she scrambled to turn on her light.

Changing out of her pajamas Mel heard the sound of movement followed by doors opening as she yanked open draws looking for clothes to wear or toss on her bed, not caring how much noise she was making.

When the knock came on her door Mel nearly jumped as she yelled "Go away," only to have the door open with both her mother and brother standing there unsure of what was going on.

"Stay away from me," Mel said as she continued to force whatever clothes she could find into her backpack. She couldn't keep up the charade any longer. Not after what she came to see herself doing in her dreams. What 'he' had always wanted her to do. She snatched the picture by the lamp as she closed her backpack. The only memento of wanting something from her past.

"Melody what do you think you're doing?" her mother asked when Mel picked up her backpack finished.

Mel hurried past them as both her brother and mother impulsively moved away, unable to control themselves. "Leaving." Mel said, visibly upset. "I'm not her, I can't keep pretending to be someone I'm not."

"Sis if this is about me not helping more around the house I'll give up football," Brad said trying to appease his sister. "I never saw how much work it was for you."

"Melody, please I know we've had some fights about how you dressed."

"Dammit Mom, Brad," as Mel spun around to face them. "It's not about chores or the clothes. It's about me. Who I am," as she pointed a finger at herself, her words coming out softer. "Who I'm not."

Both looked at her, confused by her words, as Mel looked at the picture of her father and Melody before tossing it at them. She couldn't take it, no matter how much she wanted to, to see her next to his father. A reminder of the girl who wasn't. "Don't you see. I'm not her," as they looked at the picture of a girl clad in a dress hugging her father by the neck. "I'm a boy. I've always been a boy."

"Melody, honey," Elaine said trying to reach out to her daughter. The doctor was convinced that Mel was delusional, bordering on schizophrenic. It was all adding up to Elaine now. First the loss of Mel's father, followed by the rape and the social bullying. Elaine hadn't wanted to believe what was happening - the sudden change in appearances when Melody ran away from home that day, wanting to emulate her brother by wanting to be a boy, hiding from who she was. Dr. Latimore was right. "Doctor Latimore thinks you're sick, baby." She didn't want to frighten the girl more.

"I am not sick, Mom. I should have never agreed to this. I should have let myself die."

Elaine was horrified by what Mel was saying, "No baby. The doctor was right. You're not well. You just think you're a boy. Doctor Latimore thinks that you need a place to rest where you can get well."

Mel knew what that meant - the doctor wanted to institutionalize her for what he considered to be delusions. "Damn it, Mom, I _was_ a boy. My name was David. Hell, I am David, your son." Mel said as she tried to regain her composure. "I was born David Travis Montgomery."

"That's not true. I gave birth to you. I should know," Elaine said in a soothing voice. Both Brad and Elaine stood back from Mel, unsure what to do.

"You don't believe me, do you? Stupid fucking magic."

"It is kinda far fetched, Sis," Brad said nervously.

"_Sit down,_" Mel said indicating the couch. "Why are you wanting to give up football, Brad? Why?"

"I told you. You do so much around here I thought I should help out around the house and football was getting in the way."

"Screw that, Brad. It's because I _made_ you. You don't believe me? Would you really have given up football for me, Brad? _Tell me the truth_."

It took a few seconds before Brad answered. "No."

"Why would you suddenly start buying me clothes that I wanted, Mom? Why did you stop pushing me to go see that damn doctor? _The truth, Mom, the truth_."

"Because you told me not to." As unbelievable as it was, Elaine knew it was true. She would have never stopped in wanting her little girl to be well.

"Magic, Mom, Brad. Stupid, fucking Magic. You just think that's what happened. It's because of the waterpark and its magic and my stupid medallion! It changed our realities, me from David to Melody. You and Brad from…" Mel didn't finish. The warning from Grandmother came back to her. "It's because of me that you’re both back to being close to who you were before."

"Melody, that doesn't make sense." Elaine said, still believing her daughter was delusional even after hearing the truth. "Why would you want to be a girl if you still want to be a boy."

"It's because of what Nathan did." Mel saw the look on Brad's face, when he heard the name.

"What else did that bastard do to you, Mel?"

"Me?" Mel gave out a harsh laugh. "It's what that sadistic fuck did to us, to our family. Fuck, Brad, it was far worse than what he did to Melody."

"Stop with the cussing Melody." Elaine demanded. "You know how your father hated such language."

"It was you that kept pushing it on me, with Nathan." Mel stated. "He was determined to destroy who I was, to make me like him through magic," Mel stammered softly, "and it was working."

Mel grabbed her mom's purse and searched through her wallet, extracting some money. She could see her mom and Brad fighting the compulsion to stay seated, shocked at what Mel was doing. Mel slung her backpack over her shoulder and hurried to the garage. She paused in the doorway. "_Thirty minutes after I leave, you can get up._"

Brad had to know. "What could Nathan have done that was worse than raping you?"

Mel paused at the door before answering. It didn't matter anymore, she thought; she was leaving never to return. "Besides raping Melody? He destroyed 'my' family by killing my brother, and turning my mother into a whore that hated me," she snarled before slamming the door behind her, leaving Brad and Elaine, stunned, behind.

As she pedaled her bike down the streets in the early morning light, Mel was thinking of where she could go, who to turn to for help. Her friends were out. She didn't want to be near them. Grandmother or Anya? No, she concluded. She was sick of the magic as she felt the pendant dangle around her neck. She needed to go someplace where she'd be alone, away from anyone. But where? It had to be somewhere isolated and far away.

Stopping at an ATM, Mel searched her memory for the numbers her mother used. Twice she input the numbers, but she'd inadvertently pressed too many numbers the first time. Once the machine accepted her input, she withdrew the maximum amount allowed.

Mel sighed to herself. Once more she found herself running away, but this time it was from her own family. It was a flashing advertisement on the ATM machine that helped her decide where to go: "Let us help plan that next vacation trip. Enjoy the scenic outdoors of Arizona." The ad showed a vast array of open space and mountains while it dispensed the money.

With the airport miles away, Mel pedaled her bike to the bus station. She'd figure the other details of how she'd live once she was on the bus.

Crossing a busy intersection, Mel heard the honking of a vehicle. Ignoring it, she continued on her way. She was near the bus station just ahead. But as she came closer, the honking became closer and more insistent, stopping only when the minivan pulled close beside her, Brad shouting out the window. "Mel stop. Please just get in and come back home."

"Go away, both of you!"

"Please, Melody," Elaine pleaded, "we can work through this."

"Work what out? You're not the same as I remember you. I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this for you."

Elaine leaned over, "We can figure something out Melody. I ... I just want my little girl back."

"Don't you get it Mom? Brad. I'm. Not. Your. Little. Girl! I'm not your sister. I never was your little girl or your damn sister, at least not in my head!"

"But," Brad started to say.

"JUST GO HOME." Mel shouted. "LEAVE ME ALONE." As she turned away from them, she heard the minivan pull away as they left her. She froze, a look of horror on her face, when she heard the sound of screeching tires followed by the sound of metal crumpling as another car struck the minivan. She realized, with a sinking feeling, that she'd accidentally forced her mother, through her magic, to make an illegal U-turn directly into oncoming traffic. She'd caused the accident.

*************

Mel listened to the soft hiss of oxygen flowing through the tubes into Brad. He lay motionless, unconscious, on his stomach. She could see the outline of bandages under the blanket that covered his back from the surgery. She tried to convince herself that this wasn't her brother, just somebody who looked like him. She and Elaine sat in chairs, Mel curled up and drifting into and out of a fitful sleep. Once he'd been wheeled from the Intensive Care Unit, she'd curled up in a chair and refused to leave, just listening and staring at the wounds he'd suffered in the accident. This wasn't her brother, she said to herself again.

Brad's face was heavily bandaged; because the impact had been on the passenger side, he'd taken the brunt of the accident. His arm was still bandaged with the makeshift splint, since the doctors were far more concerned about his immediate life-threatening injuries. She listened to the beeps as the machine displayed his vital signs, most numbers meaningless to her, but recognized the one showing his heartbeat, it's slow rhythmic electronic beeps telling Mel that he was alive.

Elaine entered and stared at Mel, not saying a word, possibly out of fear at what Mel could do, or worse, anger at what had happened. Elaine was also bandaged, only not as significantly as Brad. Her face showed the cuts from flying glass and bruises from the airbag. Ignoring Mel, Elaine turned her attention to her son, talking soothingly as she touched his arm lightly. The worry in her voice, on her face, was plainly evident. Mel reluctantly left his side so her mother could be alone with him, knowing she wasn't wanted, and she headed to a vending machine to grab something to eat.

When she returned, Mel heard someone talking to her mother; from the sound of the conversation, it was probably the lead surgeon. Mel stopped around the corner where her mom couldn't see her, listening in to the conversation. "We stabilized his injuries temporarily, Mrs. Montgomery," Mel heard the doctor say. Mel had heard the doctors say earlier that the airbags which had saved Elaine from worse injuries had probably compounded Brad's injuries as his body twisted, contorted into an unnatural position by the twin forces of the impact of the accident and the airbag.

"Will he be alright, able to walk? Elaine asked nervously. Mel knew that she was staring at the bandages on Brad's back.

"X-rays showed several fracture-dislocations and three broken vertebrae. We were able to stop the internal bleeding, but we won't be able to assess the full damage for several days if not weeks," the surgeon said. "I can't make any promises Mrs. Montgomery. If the swelling decreases, at best he may be able to walk with a limp and therapy."

Mel slipped in unnoticed and slumped in her chair. A nurse came into the room to take her brother's vitals yet again, and Mel gagged when she saw the full extent of his injuries when the nurse dressed his wounds. Sickened, Mel heard the sobs of her mother. This wasn't the life she had wanted for them when she agreed to stay a girl. Finished, the doctor left the two of them.

Emotionally exhausted, Elaine slumped into one of the nearby chairs, overwhelmed by all that had happened.

"I didn't want this, honest," Mel said in soft protest. "All I wanted was to try to be a family again. I just wanted to fix what Nathan destroyed, even if it meant being a girl."

Elaine listened to the girl talk, her voice bitter and sounding defeated. "He hurt me, Mom. He hurt me not just by killing Brad, but also by how he treated you. He made you hate me, and I couldn't do anything about it. He won, I guess. He said he'd turn me into him somehow once he figured out how the pendant worked. I fought him as best I could, but I couldn't fight you. I listened to the all the hateful things he made you say to me. He made you yell at me, demean me, and blame me for getting Brad killed, and eventually, I started to believe them. Even in my sleep, the nasty things you said tormented me. I wish I'd never let Anya change him. I should have killed the bastard then." Her voice was laced with bitterness and remorse.

Elaine grasped for some type of hope. "Can you use your magic to heal your brother?"

Mel shook her head sadly. "No. Don't you think that I'd do that if I could? But the pendant doesn't work that way. I can't heal people. I'm not even sure why I can do other things."

"You said the water park changed you. Can it change your brother?" she asked in a meek voice, desperately looking for something to cure Brad.

"You want to change Brad? Change him into a girl?"

Elaine pointed to Brad incensed. "Look at your brother, Melody. Because of you, he may never walk again, and even if he did, he'll mostly likely be crippled. He'll never be the same." She didn't notice how Mel cringed when Elaine blamed her for Brad's injuries - just like Nathan had made her blame David for Brad's death in that other life. Her words pierced Mel's heart, reminding her of all the pain David had suffered before.

"But a girl? You can't do that to him."

"Which would be better, Melody? A crippled brother, or a sister?"

Mel looked at her brother. "If you do this, I'll always know what you did to him."

"That's my decision to make, not yours. If it wasn't for you, your brother wouldn't be here," Elaine snapped at Mel.

Angry, Mel's voice raised. "If it wasn't for me, the only one alive would be you, and you'd be sucking someone's dick or getting fucked!"

"That's enough!" Elaine hissed, her anger near the boiling point.

"No, it's not." Mel's couldn't stop herself when memories surfaced of forced arguments between the two - memories of how Elaine argued about wanting a girl as Nathan used the pendant to tear apart the relationship between Elaine and David. "You didn't want me. You never wanted me. Before Brad was born, you longed for a girl. You didn't want me, because I loved daddy more. Well, I'm sorry, Mom, but I'm not her, and you would have lost her, too. Melody wanted to kill herself because of Nathan and then the taunting by her so-called friends. It's only because of the magic that I'm here."

The door burst open as two orderlies, followed by a nurse, hurried into the room in response to the uproar, with one taking hold of Mel.

"Let go of me," Mel yelled when the orderly tried to restrain her. "I said, _Let go_ of me_." Released from the orderly's grasp, Mel continued her tirade. "You want Brad better, Mom? I'll get him better. But not the way you want. I know when I'm not wanted! Fuck Nathan! This is all his fault. I wish I'd never stayed a girl. And when I find her ass, I'll make her pay, too."

Once more the orderly tried to restrain Mel, but she was gone. Elaine, the orderlies, and the nurse looked around the room, gawking in wonder at how the girl had disappeared, vanishing before their eyes.

*************

Grandmother pressed the button allowing the door to open as she and Anya waited for the young girl to enter. Both had heard the news from both Officer Donovan and Jana who were at the precinct when they heard of the accident. Each suspected that Mel would eventually find her way to their office, seeking their help.

Neither Anya or Grandmother expected to hear Mel's voice call out to them, with such hatred, telepathically when Mel screamed "Where is she?"

Astonished to hear the girl in their mind neither answered at first, as Mel resorted to asking her question vocally. "Where is she, Grandmother. Where is that fucking brat?"

Both had questioning looks at first then in a harsh tone, Grandmother rebuked the girl, recovering from both the display of anger and the sudden outburst that Mel performed. "I will not put up with such vulgarity in my presence, young lady."

Mel refused to back down, so incessant with her goal of finding who had been the cause of her problems. "I don't give a shit, Grandmother. My family's in the hospital because of me, and it's all because of that brat that this happened. Now where the fuck is she?"

"Mel if you hadn't run away..." Anya began.

"If Mom had let me be who I wanted to be, I wouldn't have had to run away," Mel countered. "If other kids hadn't picked on me, I would be just fine."

"And whose fault is it for using magic on them, Mel?" Anya asked, reminding the girl of her abuse. "You could have just used your magic to persuade them to turn themselves in or made them stop what they were doing. Not to use it indiscriminately on others. Who was it that said she was afraid of using magic?"

Mel turned towards Anya venting her anger, "Who was the one who saved my life. Who promised not to bring me back, making me a girl knowing I didn't want to be one? Why didn't you just let me die then? Where is she so I can watch _ her _ die just like she killed my brother, or hurt her just like Brad is hurt now?"

"Mel, you don't want to seek revenge." Grandmother argued. "It's your anger taking control. I understand the hurt, the pain you're experiencing from Nathans control and abuse."

"You don't know shit about Nathan or me. What he did was evil. And what he left me is hurt from my mother, and her accusations. Even with Brad alive, I'll always see him hurt."

"Nothing good will come of this if you follow the path I nearly went down. Not only did I lose my daughter Chessa, but Anya lost her mother to the dark magic," Grandmother pleaded softly with Mel, trying to calm her down.

"What of your brother Mel? Would your father want you to seek revenge."

"Leave my father out of this!" Mel hollered. "Don't you see, it's Nathans fault! He got what he wanted." The girl was on the verge of tears and an emotional wreck. "I thought I could handle it, control it. I was wrong. He finally got what he wanted."

Both women looked at Mel as she broke down, admitting that she was to blame. "When he couldn't control me like the others, he vowed he'd change me, make me like him. He used my mother and my brother against me. But now, it's stuck in my dreams and nightmares. He won Grandmother. He won." Her voice trailed off into a fit of sobbing.

Grandmother moved close to Mel, embracing the young girl, trying to console her. "That's why I ran away. I did it to protect them from me. But now Brad’s hurt, and it's all my fault. Mom said so! I became him, I became the monster."

"Mel you can't blame yourself. You have to fight it, take control," Grandmother said. "You can't let the darkness control you."

"You don't understand. As long as I'm part of their family, I'll hurt them. I'll keep hurting the ones I love. You have magic, you can fix my brother." Her voice was near pleading.

"Mel, it's not possible. If your brother's severely hurt, we can't mend his wounds. Even to use magic to change him may not work. The chances are that he would still be hurt," Anya tried to explain patiently.

Mel knew what she had to do and hated herself for what she was going to do next. "No, not change him to a girl. But … if I wasn't a part of their family, their lives. If I wasn't alive, if I'd never been born ..."

Grandmother and Anya looked at what Mel, aghast at what she was suggesting. "YOU can do it, Miss Anya." Mel said point a finger at her. "You can make it where I'm not a part of their lives anymore. To take me away from them."

Horrified, they both looked at Mel. "You don't know what you're asking," Anya said.

"Yes I do. I don't want to be a part of their family if my leaving will make them better."

"Mel I can't let you…"

Mel heard the resistance from them. Quickly, Mel set out a command. "STAY OUT OF IT GRANDMOTHER. DON'T SAY A WORD. I love them too much. This is the only way I know to help them." Turning back to Anya, she continued. "DO IT MISS ANYA, USE YOUR MAGIC."

Grandmother and granddaughter looked at each other, understanding conveyed between the two. Hesitantly Anya moved her fingers, to start an incantation, "I'm sorry Grandmother, Miss Anya. It's the only way. I don't ever want to hurt them - or anyone - again."

Anya and Mel felt the force of the pendant exerting itself on the two as each felt the others magic dueled for control. New memories formed, to emerge just outside of Mel's vision. Feeling faint, the girl fought to remain conscious herself, else she loose control. Sitting on the couch as Anya started to waver from the incantation, "You _can do it_ Miss Anya," Mel said encouragingly, pushing Anya beyond what she had ever done. Sweat dripped from Anya's brow as she continued to work her magic, fighting both exhaustion and the power of Mel's pendant. Fatigue was overtaking her even with Mel's command.

Unlike the previous time she'd tried, the new images appeared distorted, to dissolve as Anya fought her way past the barriers woven by the pendant's ward. She maneuvered in and around the tightly woven spell as Grandmother could only watch helplessly as her granddaughter cast the incantation.

As their visions became clearer, each of the three saw line after line of Mel's possible lives merge, to overlap one another, only to dissolve away at the last moment, while Mel continued to force Anya with her own magic, "_Don't stop, _ I want it." Mel demanded.

Her endurance tested far beyond anything she'd ever tried, Anya wearily continued, "I'm evil, a monster, Grandmother. I don't want to hurt anyone after what he did to me, after what I did to my own family. It's better if I'd never existed," Mel said as each of Mel's possibilities became fewer and fewer, to narrow down towards one of the few possibilities left. "I'm sorry."

Finally after much elimination one outcome appeared within Anya's grasp. "No!" Grandmother cried, growing frightened to where Anya was venturing. Very few sorceresses, even her, dared to attempt what Mel was forcing Anya to do.

Outside and in the park, everyone was stunned by an intensely bright flash from the office building, accompanied by the sound of thunder. Staff members rushed to the building entrances, once they were able to move, but they were unable to enter. In desperation Jenny and Liz hurried to the rear entrance of the office, where Jenny quickly entered the code. Inside, they found Anya slumped in her chair, her features paled and unconscious, with Grandmother, clearly shaken, tending to her granddaughter. Around the room papers were scattered and chairs toppled. "What happened?" Jenny and Liz asked in awe as they looked around an office in what appeared to be the work of a hurricane. Without being prompted, they helped to carry the unconscious girl to the couch.

Grandmother looked around her office and then risked using her sense to find who she was searching for. "Get Dr. Chastity here to examine Anya," she said, her quavering voice betraying how distraught she was. "Melody used her magic on her."

Jenny and Liz gawked at Grandmother, and then exchanged a worried glance. There were only the four of them in the office. "Who's Melody?" Jenny asked hesitantly as Liz rushed in search for the pools resident physician.

*************
End part 1

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to those that have looked over the story and have given constructive advice. My many thanks.

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OMG!!!

Wow... that kid has some serious power O_O

And... so much pain... that poor child. To go through all this and that kid's stupid mother not even allowing the kid to be who the kid wants to be. From one prison to the next it's no wonder the kid's gone awol with magick power O_O

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Mom, Brad and the doc may seem to misunderstand, even be ...

unfair but remember the half of the pendant David had and the now complete pendant absolutely protect HIS memories.

Everyone else remembers Melody as this sweet girly-girl.

But David as Melody has no memories of her past, only of his past as David and the horrors Nathan did to the family.

IE the past Bikini Beach created to save David’s life -- but as Melody -- so that Brad could live and the mom be freed is denied her. Thus her psych test and behavior before and after his transformation MUST be at odds because Melody has no way to know her "so-called" past.

No wonder the doc and mom think she is insane. They only know their version of history, the new timeline and know nothing of the original.

Remember originally Brad died, David was a cripple and mom a cheap whore. And this is the past David/Melody can NEVER forget due to that damned pendant.

Mix in this weird and oh so powerful pendant even grandmother and Anya can't understand nor overcome and poor Melody doesn’t have a chance.

She is right, she must give up on being part of the family if they are to ever return to something close to what they were before Nathan twisted them.

Hell in this version of his life she was raped by Nathan and even that she has no memory of.

Dammed if she does damned if she doesn't

Hard to see a way out thought as of the campout she has succeeded to an extent.

But either way the cost is very high. Physically she still appears to have some resemblance who she was but us she even related genetically to herself or Brad?

From the last part of the original 3 parter we know Brad in the end remembers who Melody was and of the sacrifices she has made so he and their mom, now only Brad’s mom can have something of a normal life.

I wonder, what is the origins of the pendant? Where did dad get it?

And is it cursed or what? So far it has only brought pain and horror to Melody. The little good it has done has come at great cost to her.

If Melody could learn a little about the pendants origins perhaps she could come to terms with it.

Damned fine tale even in the heroine's grief. May she find some solace eventually. Maybe even a little love and self acceptance.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Nice analysis, only Brad

Nice analysis, only Brad doesn't really remember. He heard the story from Mel, when he, as a teenage girl, attended the meeting.

As for where the pendant came from, that may never be known, ;") but I will say that a certain wizard wasn't involved.

Damn. Now you are making

gpoetx's picture

Damn. Now you are making have to go back through both series to replenish my memory.

Wait until I'm posting

elrodw's picture

The 3-part tale of Temptation of Anya. You might have to go back a ways to get all the elements :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge
A. Einstein