Julina of Blackstone - 025 - Clouds

Printer-friendly version

Julina learns more and more, some of which maybe she didn't want to learn.

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

025 - Clouds


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
025 – Clouds

So I awoke refreshed in both body and mind, and yet my mind was already buzzing away. It appeared I had slept through a noisy storm which had been based over to the east, probably up in Blackstone Vale. It had not reached us here, so must have been another one of those ferocious but short-lived ones we get, particularly in spring and late autumn.

As usual, I reviewed what I had in store for me today as I lay in the warm bath with Kords and Swayga.

I had the review of the Salon's trial run with the girls, and M of course; this had been arranged for early on.

I had a riding excursion, of course, but that had been put back a bell today.

And that was about that.

And I realised I had nothing at all planned for the next few days. I would go down to the fish farm in a week or so, being the impatient person I am, but I didn't really hold out any hope of there being anything for me to see. But in the immediate future, I had nothing to do – a very strange state of affairs.

Oh, wait. There WAS something else. I had to deal with the huge mound of extra food we had cooked, that M decided we would be charitable and give away up at the camping place at the dusk bell. We would have a small market stall set up and when it was gone, it was gone. The food had been cooked for a full day and an overnight, so it wouldn't keep very much longer – two full days being the generally accepted limit. And the rest of the Gavakhan needed cooking. So I would be busy down to the Salon, oh no that's wrong, down AT the Salon for a bell or two this day. The thought did not worry me. I found myself looking forward to it.

I came out of the bathhouse and went into the kitchens, where sweet little Kord made a fuss of me, which was pleasing.

Soon we were all sitting round the table while Swayga fed us and generally looked after us. We chatted again about some things I had said last evening, and the children were annoyed they hadn't seen the 'lantern on the street', as we had dubbed Sethan's light at the Forge House. They realised that maybe they could see it now, it still being dark but I pointed out that by the time they were all dressed properly to venture outside, it would be light. The pleasure of seeing it wouldn't be for a while for most of them, as they had to sleep when it was alight.

As I had said, a few moments later we could all see the sky lightening quickly outside and I knew I would have to leave soon.

It was then we talked about the expanded Blackstone lands.

Which made Kord ask his question.

Which caused an amazing uproar in the house. Both Swayga and I eventually had to calm everyone down.

Questions from a five-year-old rarely have such an effect, and Kord was both scared by the raised voices and proud that he had contributed something of importance to his family, and garnered some attention that way. I just hoped that he didn't think this was the right way to get some attention.

Such a simple question it was.

What's the difference between a wood and a forest?

'Kin started the 'conversational' ball rolling.

“Duh! EVERYONE knows THAT. Just a typical Kord question! You're just too young to understand!”

“You don't know yourself!”

“Of course I do, you silly little boy.”

“Well, go on then you big know-it-all. Tell us.”

In a VERY condescending way, guaranteed to anger his younger brother, 'Kin said: “A forest is just a big wood. Same as a wood is just a big copse.”

At this, Kords, as well as Kord, got angry with the elder of her two brother's attitude and she decided to cut him down to size: “Now who's being dumb? That's not the difference at all. A forest is different to a wood because, because, because … oh, I know it's nothing to do with size. Papa told me that parts of the forest are open grassy meadows and gently rolling hills. Things with NO trees on them. A Wood is ALWAYS filled with trees.”

And so it started, all five of my siblings yelling at each other. I was shocked to find that I didn't know, but I did remember Papa saying something like that to Kords one evening when the others were safely abed. I wasn't sure that Kords had represented Papa's words entirely accurately. I did however realise that we all somehow used forest as a sort of measurement of size.

Eventually, after it had all calmed down some five moments later, I asked them who they would believe if I brought that person home with me.

I had already guessed the answer - of course.

Master Michen, if it couldn't be Papa.

Thus it was I set off to M's to meet her/him and the other three girls, in a rush as the fuss had delayed me slightly. We had agreed to start almost as soon as it got light as two of the girls would need to leave for other things they needed to do, and I wanted my ride, even though it would start later at the third bell today; everyone had something to do early it seemed. M had taken the idea from Milady that all involved should get together after an event to describe what had happened, and to learn lessons from mistakes and so on. I thought this was a good idea and approved of this 'debriefing' as M called it.

We found that we had done pretty well all in all, some small errors were recognised (Kelly served the food from the 'wrong' side once, Gyth splashed some wine on the table). Molly and I made suggestions as to how to keep the food as hot as possible before the girls came to serve it – for example, we won't plate up all twenty plates again before starting to release it to the girls.

M thanked us all deeply again and hoped that we all were still happy to start working for the Salon, and we all agreed. There was an excited sense of anticipation now that the project was definitely going ahead. And M gave us all a hug, saying she was so excited at providing the best food and service in town.

I chose then to present my suggestion to the girls.

“The Town kindly provided a Solly for us to share, a hand of feniks each. We could not have done such a good job as we did had we not had help. The kitchens and the room would not have been in any state for us to use had not Kassama and Haka worked hard in advance. And they helped us to clear up – particularly as I was required elsewhere. I feel that therefore the cleaner or cleaners should always have a share of our little extras. Now this might, in the future, be hard on Kelly and Gyth, as they are most likely to be given extras, we in the kitchens being mostly out of sight. I would propose that all extras are pooled together and split between us five. I say five since Haka will be moving out soon. I would be happy to let Michet here make the allocations. What do you all think?”

They all agreed with me, which was very heartening.

“As regards our trial run, then Haka helped as well. I therefore suggest that we each contribute a fenik, so that those ladies can have a pair each. If you agree, I shall give Michet here four feniks myself and each of you can slip me one when we next have a chance. What do you think?”

The girls all readily agreed, and only Molly didn't have any coin with her, so we did what I had suggested. I think we all expected M to do her bit when we weren't there, but he called Kassama in immediately and she was reduced to near-tears of gratitude that someone else should think of her. So we were all extra glad to have done it.

I proceeded to cook the rest of the food so it didn't spoil, with the help of all the others. M assured me that the household had enough for the rest to be donated this evening, we just had to portion up the give-away food before the distribution.

… … …

I left M's in her and Kelly's company – no, that's not true – I left M's in the company of Kelly and Master Michen. I still had just over half a bell to go before our agreed time for our abbreviated ride so I thought to go up and say hello to Malet, before swinging by Pomma's and going down with her.

As we emerged into the sunlight, there was a cheerful hail from a mounted frayen-rider.

“Mistress Julina, Master Michen ... oh, and Mistress Kellonika!”

“Well met, Master Walden,” we all greeted him back. M almost forgot to do her 'manly' bit though.

“Mistress Julina, look after Mistress Pomma for me please. Your riding together has made her so happy, and I thank you for it – and thus value the friendship that has grown. I have to travel to Tranidor to chase up some supplies and make some other business arrangements. We shall be a party of five for safety, and shall be away for a week, we expect. I trust you shall be a good companion to my poor abandoned woman?”

“It will be a pleasure so to do,” I replied, laughing. “Safe travels.”

“I thank you, and wish you a pleasant week. Master, Mistresses!” So saying, he urged Boxin into a faster gait, to avoid any more blocking of the busy Main Street. He raised one hand in farewell.

We turned uphill for a few paces to time our moment to cross the street, and scuttled across as soon as the right gap appeared.

We gained the relative safety of the opposite sidewalk just under the Sethan lantern and turned uphill once more. As we got to the entrance to Uncle's world of metal and heat, we heard a scream that changed into a grunt quite quickly. All of us were wondering what that was, so we looked of course into the working area. We saw four men holding another who had shackles on his ankles. The man's left arm was held taut by a quivering rope round the wrist, tied to one of Uncle's anvils. The left hand was over another anvil and we realised, just as the smell of burnt flesh assailed our noses, that this was the branding of the bully Neerkel.

At the base of the furnace was a pile of rods lying on the ground, which I recognised as a number of differing brand-irons.

“Michet, why are there so many different ones? Do you know?” I asked quietly enough to be able to use her name.

“As it happens, I do know,” came the reply. “There is a code for the offence. So first the right brand has to be found, to show the world what he has done wrong. Then there must be a symbol as to how long the sentence was for. Then there must be a month/year code so anyone can know when the sentence is finished. So four differing rods must be found, bundled firmly together and then heated. Offence, duration, month, year. This month is, of course, Zuberak and the year is 1174 since the Great Flood. Some forgemasters have a rod for the decade, and then another for the individual year in that decade. That way only one new one needs to be made every ten years, rather than one each year. In this case, that would be a hand of rods to be used. But all at once. To do one after the other would be too cruel to the recipient.”

By this time, we had reached Kelly's front door. We were all about to go in when another frayen rider called to me. This one was looking very strange as he was using the old-style saddle. I wondered at how quickly this had become old-fashioned to my eyes.

“Master Brethen, well met. How may I be of assistance?” I then did the introductions.

“Goodman, Mistress, not Master. I am a master of nothing. If it pleases you, Rathina was wondering if you knew any more about the possibility of schooling for the children? I have been in town, as have the other menfolk, earning good coin, but must necessarily travel back from time to time to keep up with the maintenance up there. I return there first thing in the morning, so wondered if there was any answer I could convey?”

“At the moment, I must confess that I have had no chance to …” I gasped as a thought struck me most forcefully. “... Nay! Hold! I have an idea! Where may you be found? In the camping place? Then I shall be here with your answer at the eighth bell.”

“Mistresses, Master, I wish you a good day. Mistress Julina, I shall look forward to seeing you later,” he finished as he rode away towards the Miners' Village.

“Farewell, Goodman,” we all trilled at the same time, even M - which brought forth a frown from both of us. He blushed, which was almost as much of a give-away.

Talking of which …

“Now what are you up to, Mistress 'Lina? I know you well. You are bubbling with excitement.”

“Oh, Kelly! This would be the most wondrous thing if I can get it together. I need to speak to Pomma first …”

I wasn't so deep in my thoughts that I missed my companions rolling their eyes at each other.

“We shouldn't ask her yet, Mich...en. She's got that 'planning' look. You'll see her face totally change when she's … look, did you see that? We can ask her now.”

I had to laugh at how well Kelly knew me, but her words had triggered another memory.

“Ah! You just reminded me. I have something to ask our well-travelled friend here. Tell me, Em, ooops I mean ...”

“No! That's fine. I like it. And it's sensible. Particularly under these circumstances. Em it is.”

“So, Em, can you tell me please what is the difference between a wood and a forest?”

… … …

“ … and because you told me you had always wanted to see it!”

“Julina! What a … well, I'm … I mean … Would it be right?”

“And why shouldn't it? What think you, Sookie?”

“Well actually, you have given ME to think furiously. I shall be unable to ride from the day after tomorrow. The usual four or five day problem. And Brydas and I,” she still blushed prettily as she mentioned her now-obvious partner, “have long said that we must have a day together. I know that he has a slight slacking off of demand right now, having capable assistants. Hmmm. You know, I think that would work out really well. Yes, let's do it. Leave at dawn. Oh, how exciting! Suril, can you take a full day and leave early? Parry, would you care to accompany us too?”

Suddenly my idea had turned into an expedition.

Suril and Parry both agreed with obvious delight, Suril saying that he would get permission from Fedren as he could clearly demonstrate a job-associated reason to do it.

“I shall tell Brydas he is coming. So that makes the six of us … Hold! What's this?”

She exclaimed as she pointed down the road. We saw a frayen approaching at pace. The yellow headband told us all that it was a messenger from the VMS. We made room for him on the road and he thanked us with a wave as he swept past.

We were on a short ride, as I mentioned earlier, and decided to go down the road to the fourth markstone and back. The idea being to see if an average of eight marks a bell was actually a reasonable amount to take into calculations. We had nearly completed our four mark downhill half when the messenger came up to us.

Of course, we all speculated upon the nature of a message that was so urgent and we all agreed that it must be some addition about the award of the extra land, probably a 'hurry-up' to get the semaphore completed or something like that. We actually chuckled and giggled at that – an urgent frayen message to encourage a system that would make the frayen message of the future take a back seat.

I could see, however, another look on Sookie's face, and wondered what that heralded.

We reached the fourth markstone, and cut across the naked land to the river to give the beasts some refreshment. The denser trees on the far bank showed us the start of the woodland, whereas, on our bank, there was still a half mark or so (by my estimation) before the trees became dense enough to obscure other details.

We sat and chatted awhile and there was a pleasant fellowship feeling between the five of us. Sookie related an event on her journey up to Blackstone when Milady Garia and Milady Merizel mounted their beasts and took off at a full gallop, leaving Feteran and the Prince scrambling to catch up. Sookie explained that that moment was when she became determined to ride, and to do things like that. The speed of the VMS messenger had triggered that memory. Although he wasn't going as fast, probably because he had to harbour his beast's resources.

We remounted and made our way back to the road, probably having used a half a bell since we left the surface.

We turned to face uphill and started out at our usual quick walk. Sookie put on a face full of mischief and said hurriedly: “Last one back to the stables at the Claw does the animal maintenance!”

With that, Sookie shook up Tixi's reins and off they went.

We four looked at each other, nodded and joined in.

Oh, how exhilarating that was!

We went faster than I had ever gone before, and the rush was indescribable. Something however made me slow Dralla down. Surely she could not maintain this pace for four whole marks. Sookie was already over a hundred strides in front, going like the wind; the rest of us were spread out behind her. I was in third place at that moment. I looked around and saw Pomma just behind me, her face a grin of fear and delight. Suril was just behind her, also torn between the two emotions.

I eased back slightly on the reins and sensed Dralla's displeasure. But she obeyed my commands. It occurred to me that I actually knew nothing about the stamina of frayen. Was I making too great an assumption?

Pomma passed me with a whoop of triumph and Suril came alongside. I told him my thoughts.

“Mayhap you're right, Mistress. I will match you all the way and we shall learn much that way. And we will share the duties if we are wrong.”

“Deal!”

… … …

We turned into the Claw, all grinning widely. I had been vindicated in that we had caught up with the others. Sookie was screaming with laughter and enjoyment and still took the time to acknowledge my thoughts as being quite valid. Tixi was breathing very heavily indeed whereas Dralla was comparatively fresh. In an unrehearsed gesture of solidarity, we all turned into the Claw's courtyard at the same moment. No-one was the winner and no-one was a loser.

There had been some consternation when we all appeared in such a rush, but the fears were dispelled by the laughter and fun we had obviously enjoyed. Even the men and workers milling around the courtyard broke into smiles.

We dismounted, made a fuss of the animals as we tidied them away and exited the stable block. Sookie was delighted to throw herself into Master Brydas' arms. For a moment there, the two were in their own world.

Sookie then told him of her plans for the morning and he instantly, without the slightest hesitation, agreed. Now we had six of us committed, seven if you counted the instigator who had yet to be informed.

We were discussing some more of the details when there was a cough from behind us. None of us had noticed the approach of Captain Bleskin nor Master Bezan.

They both had very grim faces which sobered us all up rapidly.

“I find that the timing of this to be uncanny. I believe that Master Bezan and I shall accompany you tomorrow, at least for the majority of the expedition. I find it imperative to visit those parts as soon as I can. I must study the lay of the land.”

His seriousness affected us all even more than just before.

“Mistresses and Masters, I regret to have to inform you that a state of war now exists between Palarand and Yod. I have strict instructions as to what is required of us – mostly increased coal production and shipment.”

We were all shocked into silence, although we must have had a hundred questions each.

“Forces of Yod invaded Palarand in an attempt to capture or kill Milady Garia. They were repulsed and utterly defeated, but 'twas a close-run thing. I regret to have to report that there were both fatalities and casualties.”

“Not Milady, nor Merizel?” gasped Sookie. “Commander Feteran? Or any of the team. Please no. Oh Maker. Who?”

“The Prince and Milady survived, as did Commander Feteran and nearly all of the party that left here.”

“Only nearly?”

“The driver Helen, I regret to report, did not make it, along with one of the wagon guards, Samir. And neither did young Jasinet. There have been some injuries to others of your ken but none appear to be life threatening, with the exception of another wagon guard, Keet. He is in the healer's care, and they are unable to predict the outcome. The full roll of honour is included with the documents recently arrived, but I believe that those names are the ones that you will know best. I do not mean to belittle the other sacrifices. Mayhap there are others that some of you may know, or may have got to know whilst they were all here.”

The hidden bitterness in his voice was threatening to make itself known, making me realise the depth of his feelings – and suddenly I was aware that he wished to have been there himself, to wreak havoc upon those who had dared to offend him so deeply. I shuddered at what might happen if he ever had one of those near him.

But poor Jasinet. How much hope she had in her, able at last to escape the unreasonable demands of her parents. A tear trickled down my cheek as her face was reproduced in my mind.

This news changed the way that I viewed our planned happening on the morrow. I had thought that Pomma, with no duties at home as her man was away, could give her staff a couple of days break and could come up with me, riding of course, to the farmhouse up in the Blackstone Vale. We would naturally require an escort. We could stay overnight for two nights, I could make a start with the children's lettering and numbering, and we both could see sights we had never seen before. Knowing Pomma's abilities when it came to sketching, I imagined that there would be more than a few opportunities for her to indulge her hobby. We would return on the third day. But the news would ensure that it wasn't the joyous trip I had first envisaged.

The others I could see were torn as to whether or not they should go, but The Captain said: “This is an opportunity that may not repeat itself for some while, and the more people that can see the land up there the better. I apologise for removing some of the joy that might otherwise have been involved, but all the original reasons to do the trip still pertain and are still valid. There is little I can do here in town until I gather information so it appears I must travel up there. Goodman Brethen is definitely going. So you ladies will have an escort. You know it makes sense.”

Sookie has wanted to see the Vale ever since Milady's excursion up there, and Parry and Suril were happy to have another opportunity to see something new, so they had decided to make a full day of it, escorting Pomma and I up there, having a quick look around and then returning to town for the evening, leaving we two with the family there. We would get Goodman Brethen to escort us back when it was time, if that was convenient to him.

Now there would be another two with us, for the Captain wanted to be able to discuss some matters with Master Bezan as we rode, which meant that the reasons for the excursion had changed and the lightness, the holiday mood, had indeed been dissipated.

It was a very subdued lunch of which we five riders partook.

… … …

With little to do, I decided to return to Em's, to finish off portioning the food we were going to distribute later. I was escorted there by Pomma and Kelly and we parted company on the doorstep, still feeling sombre.

I went in and made my way towards the Salon. I heard voices from the room and poked my head round the door.

Em and the Captain were there, studying maps and discussing heavily matters of a very military nature.

“As usual, Mistress Julina, you are the answer to a problem. Would you, could you, bear to make some more notes for me?”

“Of course I shall, your Honour. But I must warn you that there may be words, certainly even concepts, with which I am totally unfamiliar.”

“My child, please don't let that worry you. I am struggling to make notes myself as we discuss these things. I constantly need to refer to other documents and the like. Any assistance would be invaluable. I can indicate the important things to note.”

And so it was I sat down again to be a scribe. The men started again from scratch, to make sure that I was more familiar with the topic, and to ensure they were both clear with each other. It was fascinating, if chilling, stuff.

I will not list everything that was said but just say that I learnt there were two natural defensive positions on the route to us – one just after the Chaarn Road junction at the two cross-stream area that Papa had reported, where the land was restricted between the valley wall and the river, and the dense forest constrained anyone to the road. The second was the route as it climbed across the face of the rock from the Forest Roadhouse to the Strettalm bend. A light defensive force should be able to deny the road to any invaders and the passage behind and round the Strettalm did not permit of an army's traverse. It would not take much to just throw rocks, and other more nasty things, down on to the road and create blockages.

The talk then changed to creating false passages through the trees that any invaders would have to investigate, and have these passages lead to what they called “killing fields”. The dispassionate way they discussed these things made me shudder.

Logic told me that this is what soldiers must do, but my instincts were rebelling against the logic. I knew I could never treat with these men in the same way I had up to now. And Michen was very much a man at that moment.

One thing did come out of this session poring over maps. The final decision was taken about the placing of the semaphore towers. Apparently the weather, particularly at this time of year, frequently cut the direct line of sight from the Strettalm to the Cistern, both of which plainly had to be stations. So an intervening one would be built on the WEST bank of the Bray, just townside of where two canyons came together and whose streams combined to create a broadening of the main river. A small access road would be required.

At any other time, I would have giggled at that thought and how Master Bezan would take it – but this was a very much more sombre affair.

Another semaphore station was to be erected at the junction itself, and then one halfway between the junction and the Strettalm. Apparently, there is a taller hill, not really a peak, just beside the main falls in the river. This too would require an access road, probably less than two marks long.

A final semaphore station would be built on the border of the lands which should be visible downvalley from either bank.

So, to cover the entirety of the Bray valley that lay within Milady's lands, there would be six semaphore stations in all, covering a total distance of some fifty marks.

“Access?” The Captain looked stern as he said that.

“Only via the road to be practical. I suppose that a determined enemy could ship all the way round to Chaarn itself and then march the thousand or so marks along the road, and then across some of the cross valleys. But even we hunters get confused and lost up there. As for the other side, then it would have to be from the Tel Botro road and across untold valleys and ridges. It doesn't make sense.”

“How did those bandits attack Milady up in the Vale?”

“Ah, they used the canyon behind Little Lake farm, where the fish farm is now to be. So their access point was already this side of the forest. There is no other way to get in unnoticed. The Vale itself is defended by a very narrow defile, very narrow indeed. You shall see tomorrow.”

“A pity you are unable to accompany us, yet.”

“The arm, according to Mistress Lendra, may recover most of its use, as long as I don't use it at all. Riding would be too much of a risk. Mistress Lendra says to look at it again in the new year. She was most indignant that I had used it for the removals. That can be one very scary lady.”

“Could you handle some crossbow training? We have been warned to raise a levy. I would be happy with a fifty man force in the first instance, but suspect that we might have to do with only twenty or so. We need to find some volunteers and ex-military men among the workforce. In the first instance we could have a short training sessions either first thing in the morning or at the end of the day, before the light fails. But I find I need to go and see the country up the Vale. In desperation that would be our final retreat destination.”

“My number two in the hunters could do the demonstrations, while I do the theory and the shouting, so it would be possible.”

“Mistress Julina, I am aware that the subject matter has been distressing for you and I trust that we have not disgusted you too much. Once again, I am in your debt. Your notes will prove to be most valuable, and your taking of them has saved us as much as a bell.”

I bobbed a curtsey to him, and to Em and took my leave. I didn't trust myself to speak and simply went to Kelly's where she and Malet allowed me to run off my agitation with suitable noises of support and help and disgust and so on as I let loose the flood of emotions that had welled up in me.

… … …

The distribution of the extra food was well-received by most. It was spoiled by some who came too late and then complained at receiving nothing. But they were mostly shouted down by their neighbours.

Whilst there, Em was interrupted by a hail from the day's shuttle. Apparently the first load of plates and pots for the Salon had arrived, so Kelly and I went and unloaded that delivery whilst Em stayed serving food. Using the arm to move heavy boxes might have been damaging to it.

I had met Goodman Brethen and told him the news for which he was grateful, but he too was worried about the war. I knew I had to keep quiet and let the men, and Em, sort it all out, but I was concerned at the wildly inaccurate rumours that were buzzing around. It was my introduction to the human ability to weave vast fantasies from very few facts and indeed from twisted and misunderstood or misinterpreted facts. At least one rumour was based on selecting some convenient facts and ignoring other facts because they didn't fit in.

I was escorted home quite early and spent a while packing a carry bag which of course led to numerous questions from Kords. Swayga was actually very approving of an opportunity for me to see something new, but the news of the war cast a spell even over a family gathering.

However, the mood was picked up a little when I told them I had asked Em the question and had received an answer. I made them promise to not fight about it and not to crow should one or the other be proved correct.

“Is that clear?”

“Yes, 'Lina.”

“Right then, everyone was correct. And everyone was wrong. The big lesson from this is never to take only part of an answer and assume that it is the complete answer. Always look for the complete picture.

“I shall start with a wood. A wood is always filled with trees, for its purpose is to provide trees for heating and shelter. Its use and indeed cultivation was and is solely for that purpose. Woodsmen are responsible for keeping these areas maintained, felling mature trees, planting new growth, disentangling encroaching undergrowth and so on.

“A forest however is something else. Its primary purpose is to provide a hunting area for the landowner. A forest itself must therefore be far bigger than an individual wood. A forest contains many woods, and many fields, and many copses, and many pastures, and many ponds, indeed many villages in some areas.

“Her Ladyship has declared that she wishes most of the forest lands to be retained as unspoilt land, and now these large areas are hers to control, then it shall happen with foresters and woodsmen employed to keep it as unchanged as possible, areas of natural beauty that should not be lost to future generations of humans AND animals. This particular forest has seen little or no hunting activities for many years and so the animal life is probably well-established, indeed may require a certain amount of control.

“Some parts of these forest lands may need to have trees felled and ground cleared to make way for this new railroad I have mentioned, but Milady has even told the roadbuilders to provide secure passage for animals either over or under the new roadway.

“So everyone was right this morning. A wood is always made of trees, a forest may contain empty spaces. As a forest may involve many woods, then it must be bigger than a wood. So all that fuss, shouting and general bad behaviour was totally unnecessary. You should really be ashamed of yourselves.”

It was a subdued evening as we went to bed, and a strange between sleep period. My writing came slowly for some unknown reason.

… … ...

But when I awoke, it was if the bad news had been absorbed and there was a determined feel to get on with life while we could – at least that was how I interpreted it.

I hugged my family for the farewells, and yes there were a few tears all around.

Then I left the house for the first time in my life with the firm intention of leaving them behind, even if it was to be only for a few short days.

Fear and anxiety, excitement and anticipation. Also a sense of unreality somehow.

I think that Pomma felt the same, but then I knew her better than I did the others who were travelling with us, except maybe Suril. I looked around at them as we all gathered down in the Claw's stabling. I had gone down there on my own, explaining to all at home that I would be safe at such an early hour by going down the deserted track directly to my destination. Swayga and Kords had still accompanied me part of the way.

So we mounted up, eight riders in all, and made our way up Main Street. Captain Bleskin and Master Bezan were leading a pack animal each. We met Goodman Brethen just by Kelly's front door. Kelly and Malet were there to wave to me and I waved back. Again there was that hint of tears.

There were some grumbles from the people who were wanting just a few more moments of sleep as eleven frayen picked their way through the unordered sleeping arrangements littering the camping place. We got to the Cistern, headed up the short slope to its right and set out along the roof of the aqueduct towards the dam, led by Goodman Brethen. Behind him, we rode in pairs, Pomma and I behind Sookie and Uncle. They had Parry and Suril in front of them and we had the Captain and Master Bezan behind us, bringing up the rear with the pack animals. Already the pair behind were deep in discussion, and Pomma and I were treated to tantalising snippets but were unable to hear the entire conversation. Not that we wanted to, you understand, nor were we silent for long. I pride myself on the fact that our chatter lifted the mood somewhat, so that there was a certain relief from sombriety, if such a word exists.

We reached the dam and carried on past it along a track that had obviously been used sometimes by a wagon, as there were marked ruts. But it was also obvious that there had been few of them, that a wagon passing this way was not a common occurrence. This was new territory for all of us except Brethen, so we all kept our heads swivelling as we progressed.

At one point, the edge of the track had crumbled into the lake and we all could see that it would be extremely difficult for a wagon to squeeze through what was left of the width. We passed on, heading ever closer to a rock face that appeared to block our passage. But as we neared it, where the lake narrowed down to just a stream, we saw the passage that led off to the right of it. The face itself was obviously the site of an ancient rock fall as boulders of different sizes were scattered haphazardly down the face. The age was given away by the plant life all over the spill. I asked Uncle if he knew how old this was and he didn't know, so the question was passed up all the way to Goodman Brethen at the front. It was quite amusing that the entire column came to a halt while the answer was passed back.

“Not known.”

An extra instruction reached us too – we would have to dismount and lead our animals through a narrow gorge that was only a few casts long, but was very tight, the footing made awkward by the stream that runs though it and feeds the lake. Brethen also pointed out that the stream was a little more active this morning after the short storm of last night, but it wouldn't be uncomfortably deep if we were to step in it.

Brethen led off again and Parry and Suril were just starting to do the 'you first' dance, when I could have sworn I heard the bleat of a pakh. I hadn't noticed any around but Pomma heard it too. I asked the two behind us if they had heard anything, and the Captain was studying the rock fall closely, raising a hand for silence. Then I heard it again as did Pomma, Master Bezan and the Captain.

“How very strange! The sound appears to come from behind these rocks, but there is no gap through there. It must be a complex echo, tumbling down from above and reflecting off the different faces of the stones.”

We all nodded our agreement as we continued to make our way into the narrowing gap.

I found myself swallowing a lot and tensing up, which mood transferred itself, it seemed, to Dralla.

I was frightened.

There, I admit it.

The walls of stone were so high that the light that came down from the clear blue sky above was restricted in amount. I felt I could stretch my arms sideways and touch each wall at the same time. If we had been mounted, then our legs would have been almost rubbing the walls since the bellies of the animals were filling most of the space.

A curious flickering quality in the light made me look up and I saw it was caused by clouds scudding across the narrow view, cutting out more direct light as they went.

I felt as though the world was squeezing me and the passage seemed ever longer. I felt as though I was about to panic. My feet were stumbling a little in the bed of the stream which also looked frightening somehow – I think it must have been the speed of the water. As Brethen had said, the water wasn't that deep, but it was still an extra hazard that I really didn't need right at that moment.

I kept my eyes on the flanks and rump of Pomma's animal just in front of me. I suppose that there was in fact space for a person to be next to an animal, just.

But I felt my wits were scattering.

I had never appreciated before that I had a fear of narrow places. I had only that animal in front of me and Dralla behind me. I felt, unreasonably, that I had no escape from this giant's press.

The rock faces forced us into a slight left turn, but the walls did not release their threats.

Just as I thought I could take it no more, the light improved and I could see the walls pulling apart from each other up ahead. A few strides more and we were through and into quite wide country that was such bliss to encounter, despite being obviously wilder than the country back the other side of that narrow passage.

It had a rugged beauty that made me understand how this family could live out here. But I knew that I myself could not, not with that terrifying bottle-neck as the only means of access, and not without possibilities of reacting to other people, seeing and chatting with them. And not to forget, I was a rather special eating place manager now.

To the left of us the valley wall ran away from us, dotted here and there by rockfalls and waterfalls and small canyons, whilst the right wall ran away from us almost equally quickly but was markedly smoother than the other wall. It was still rugged, mind you, but not as much so as the one to our left. Maybe the rockfall just a cast or so away, with signs of new falls made up an observer's mind up very early on.

“Goodman Brethen!”

The column halted again as the Captain rode up to the head, the valley having widened out so suddenly that we could already have ridden all of us abreast.

“Your Honour?”

“Is that passageway the only access to your Vale here?”

“Not exactly, your Honour. We can go over the top of the hill here to the north, in other words to our left. The landscape leads you up almost to the Stone Sea and then you can drop down from there, by Larsenar's semi-ruin and lean-to down into the Bray Valley. Or the ridge to our right drops into another valley, down which the stream flows in the opposite direction to this one. After that another valley, and another and another, all in different directions and all wild country. Even we get lost up here sometimes. But this next valley, well the top narrows into a thin canyon and leads upwards until at the very top there is a long canyon, slightly wider, going up to a lake. The far end of the lake, there is a ridge from which another canyon drops down into the Bray Valley, through a passage narrower than the one we used. That was the one the bandits used when they attacked Milady.”

“So there is no way an army could invade us through here?”

“Oh Maker, your Honour. They would have to be a very determined army to get up here. To the north there is the Stone Sea and that is impassable to men and beasts, only avians can manage to traverse that. To the west, north-west is only the saddle across to the Bray Valley head, and from there a further forty or fifty marks across very jumbled country to the Palar Valley. To the east and south-east is just a maze of high-altitude valleys, canyons and more jumbled country, broken eventually by the road to Chaarn.”

“And how might I inspect the access to the tops of those walls we came through?”

“Ah! Now that, your Honour, is not easy. I have found no access at all to the wall on the south side, from here. As for the north side, there is a narrow scramble that needs squeeze between some rocks at one place, and a hop over an awkward split at another point. When I was a lad, I carried a stout board up there with me and laid it across the two walls. Once I had crossed, I saw immediately that the ground up there is difficult. That valley top just leads back to the Bray Valley and the steep sides. Yes there is a shortish canyon that digs into it, but that is not climbable. And it drops sheer into the bandits' canyons so there is no access from there.”

“Thank you, Goodman. A good report!”

All of us were looking around and all of us were impressed. Sookie and Uncle held hands as we started off once more, this time abreast rather than in column; we were heading for the building with the plume of smoke climbing into the sky like a welcoming beacon.

“Goodman, why don't you go on ahead and tell your family of your two visitors and their companions for the day? And then, if it pleases, I would have you show me round the battle field, that I might put real sights to my mental vision of the site. I would suggest that the women do NOT accompany us, I'm sure there will still be some grisly traces.”

That was a sobering thought again, but the sheer beauty of the wild and hidden Vale was so worth the trouble it took us to get there. It was impossible to imagine it being despoiled by war.

“That might take a little longer than you have, your Honour. I can point out the ptuvil stone circle from below, from the camp circle, that would save a little time. But with this terrain it would be close to two bells duration, and here we are already just about a bell before noon,” he explained by taking a quick look at the sky. Which I noticed was clouding over.

Suril suddenly exclaimed: “Maker. So much good food for pakh up here. We should keep this Vale for pakh, your Honour. They would thrive up here. We could feed the town from up here,” he laughed as he continued, “as long as they would be happy with an unrelenting diet of pakh meat.”

I realised with a start that Suril had only experience of farming pakh over in the Bray Valley and I looked around, trying to see what he saw, with his eyes.

As he scanned the area, he pointed out “Dranakh!”, “Pakh”, “Ganifil”, “More Pakh” and it was like my eyes were opened to the animals and wildlife. They were still where they were when we emerged but I had just seen the valley walls, the rocks, the plants – suddenly it seemed to be teeming with animals and avians. I guessed that one of the dranakh was Josten, for I knew Jafferkin was in town, and many of the dranakh wandered off in this direction when they were released to forage.

But I was glad to be nearing the home – I suspect all us females were. It had been quite a while since our last 'break'.

And I felt we deserved a mug of pel.

Good old Rathina had got THAT underway the moment her man told her there were 3 women with the party, so when we arrived some hand of moments after Brethen, the water was almost ready for the making of the life-saving drink.

And it was nice to see the whole family once more – even nicer to see them all lined up to welcome us to their world.


up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well that has put a chill in Julina's life

War is never a pleasant thought. This is a very interesting view into what war brings into an area of relatively primitive culture. Bleskin will not be bored with his 'retirement', poor man has probably never worked harder by all accounts. It is very fortunate as it turns out that Garia has him as her second in command in her Barony as he can also double up in military matters. It doesn't sound like the enemy can easily attack unnoticed in Blackstone but since it is now considered a strategic area, it is bound to get its share of attention, at least indirectly (eg blocking coal deliveries)

Remember how idealistic you were as a teenager?

Julina is at that stage of development where every new thing achieves such a massive importance. So her dampener will not probably last TOO long.

Bleskin, much as he would want to be 'mixing it' with Palarand's enemies, recognises that he has a very important role to play in 'husbanding' the countries mineral resources.

I strongly suspect that development of metallurgy will ultimately prove to be the way to deal with Yod, and for that the coal becomes more important.

To get to Blackstone, invading forces will have to get by Dekarran, then Teldor, then Haligo, then Tranidor, before they even get near to the Bray Valley.

And Bleskin knows this.

All the best

Julia

Technology as a whole I think

But yes metallurgy is important. Funnily the Chinese had advanced materials about the time of the Middle Age in Europe but never leveraged their use so social and leadership will is important. China was too hierarchical to make that happen though as it turned out.

So what you are saying is the unalloyed truth of Palarand needing to advance metallurgy, lest they be overcome? But tempered by wisdom and hardened by resolve that will hopefully steel them for what is to come? And to overcome Yod who apparently has balls of br***?

I look forward to that. :)

I foresee another major

I foresee another major change coming to Blackstone and Palarand in the near future. That would be Garia teaching other women how to fight in a battle. As Yod has declared war on Palarand, it seems to me that women need to be taught the basics of fighting, using bows and the other assorted military equipment. The King and Queen just might find that they have more military forces than they once believed or knew about. Michen/Michet is a prime example. Women, by nature, will fight an enemy especially if that enemy is going to harm their family, children and such, or even themselves. All they need are the "tools" to do so.