The Exam

Printer-friendly version

I was feeling a little weird on an airplane today and this is the result. It's not at all transgender so I apologize right now for posting here if that annoys you but I thought someone might enjoy it. Someone might even have had a similar experience.

The Exam

He held the note in his hand. Stared at it. It was just impossible, it had to be.

The note came in the mail today, white envelope, college return address, stamped in red, “Important – Final Exam Schedule”.

Physics 102 – Monday, May 26, 10 am to 12pm
Chemistry 206 – Monday, May 26, 2 pm to 4 pm
Calculus 203 – Tuesday, May 27, 2 pm to 4 pm
German 202 – Wednesday, May 28, 8 am to 10 am
Sociology 101 – Wednesday, May 28, 2 pm to 4 pm
American Literature 205 – Thursday, May 29, 10 am to 12 pm

He read it a second time, studied it, tried hard to understand it, broke out in a cold sweat, felt his heart trying to beat its way through his sternum. It was a glitch, a computer error. He’d taken five, not six classes this semester and was doing quite well in all of them. Physics, fine although the labs were a pain. He really enjoyed his Chem class and labs. Calculus, well, it was bearable but a lot of work and he was sure he was getting an A. The Lit class studied American literature from the 40s to the 60s. A very interesting era and some really good books on the reading list.

But what was that Sociology class? He didn’t remember signing up for it although he did recall thinking about taking either it or the Lit class. Didn’t remember it on his schedule. He’d never attended any classes. It had to be a mistake.

He dug through his backpack for the class schedule he’d received at the beginning of the semester. It was a small piece of paper buried at the bottom of the book area. About the size of an airline boarding pass. Yes! It showed 5 classes in alphabetical order, American Literature through Physics. He folded the paper in half to put away again and noticed printing on the back. One single devastating line…

“Sociology 101, MWF 9:15 – 10:30, Jenkins 335”

Two weeks to finals and he was registered for a class he’d never attended. No one took attendance in college. Professors, especially in introductory classes, didn’t care whether you showed up or not. They didn’t care whether you turned in homework or took tests. They just entered scores in the computer and gave you a grade at the end. It was way beyond the drop date. Could he get some kind of waiver? Probably not, the college was pretty strict about dropping classes before the deadline. This had to be a mistake. There had to be something he could do. Could he somehow prepare for the final? Could he appeal to the professor’s mercy? He was screwed. This was going to kill his GPA. Again, the cold sweat….

“Brrrring, brrrring, brrrring.“ He sat up in bed feeling a bit confused and disoriented, then hit the button on the alarm and looked at the time – 7 am. He glanced at his wife still sleeping beside him and it all came together. How many times had he awakened from this dream? The forgotten college class. The final exam. It felt so real, so crushing. Did anyone else experience this same nightmare?

He got out of bed, pulled on a pair of shorts, and shuffled to the kitchen to start the coffee. He needed to get moving to get into work for his 9 am meeting. He’d gotten his master’s degree seven years ago. Would he ever stop having this dream?

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting story

Nothing states that a story has to have a transgender theme to it to be posted here. I find a story to be rather interesting upbeat and easy to read. I am sure that others will comment as well. I honestly take no offense to reading a short story.

Do you plan on continuing or is it finished as it stands now? I for one would like to see what happens next.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Begs for more

Rhona McCloud's picture

A believable line as I read it (having had "I don't know the answer!" dreams before waking to find there was no question) and it is enough of an attention grabber to launch any story you like

Rhona McCloud

Sorry, no more on this one

It's an expansion on a dream that I had many times through at least 10 years after I finished college. I don't remember having it in quite a while now but still chuckle at it and the feelings it brought out, even if they were in a dream.

Going to have to think about something more to contribute. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Good Start

Now that you got your first story jitters out of the way now lets get that great story rolling around your brain written and posted .
Welcome to the authors page
Hugs Richie2

I've had similar dreams

Angharad's picture

usually about things I dropped before exam level including a masters.

Angharad

I've had this and more!

I used to have the "exam for a class I forgot" dream. Now I've moved on. Even though I'm not teaching anymore, I keep having the dream where I'm expected to be teaching a class but I can't find them.

Suzij

Same Dream

This dream has haunted me at least once a year since graduating from college, 44 years ago.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)