Almost A Girl Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

I tried to open an eye when I heard voices, I really did open an eye for a fraction of a second. Nothing was working and I slept. There were more noises and more voices and I tried to understand and wake up, and I slept. Finally I managed to crawl up out of the darkness of sleep and open both eyes. It was bright in the room, the sun was way up, The birds were singing their little hearts out in the trees outside. I rolled over and looked for Judy. Her side of the bed was empty.

I pushed the covers back and slid out of bed. The black satin nightgown I was wearing felt soft against my skin. Standing up I padded across the floor, cracked the bedroom door, and peeked out to see who was up and about. I could hear the television going in the living room. Other than that the house was quiet.

My clothes were the uppermost things on my mind. I headed across the room to the closet, hoping Elliot and Judy had stashed them there yesterday. It wasn’t to be. I really was needing that bathroom by now. Finally I couldn’t ignore the call of Mother Nature. I slowly opened the door, pulled it back just far enough to slip through and headed down the hall for the bathroom and relief. I figured I had made my unnoticed silent rendezvous with Mother Nature as I headed back for the bedroom. I needed to find my clothes. I needed Judy to call Elliot. I needed the earrings out of my ears.

Back in the bedroom I had no idea what to do. This was turning into a desperate situation for me. I was wearing a nightgown and didn’t have any clothes. In times like this, thinking about killing Elliot always helped, so I thought about killing Elliot. Actually it didn’t help. I still needed my clothes. I headed back out to see if I could find Judy without getting caught by Miriam or Bill. I checked the kitchen. It was empty. Heading for the living room as softly and quietly as I could I noticed the top of Judy’s head where she was sitting on the couch.

“Sssssss, sssssssss, ssssssssss.” Wasn’t getting any attention. “Ssssss, judy, ssssss”

Judy stood up and turned to look. “Ssssss yourself. Morning Barbara. I thought you were going to sleep the day away. You look nice this morning.”

I pointed to the bedroom as the living room was much too public for me to want to carry on a conversation there.

Judy giggled as she shook her head. “What do you need hon. Get dressed. Elliot is picking us up in thirty minutes. We are going out to eat lunch.”

“Dressed? I’d love to. My clothes…,” I whispered back.

“You forgot where you put your suitcase? It’s beside your side of the bed. I think the red dress and heels would be right for today, don’t you? I took it out and hung it up in my closet so it wouldn’t get wrinkled.” Her eyes were dancing with delight.

“Are you and Elliot out of your ever loving minds? I gotta get home and check in. Mom and dad will wonder where I am. Now where’s my clothes?” I was trying to keep it as quiet as I could and get the message across I wasn’t in any mood for this to keep going the way it was headed.

Judy was laughing as she walked around the couch, back over to me, took my hand and led me back to the bedroom. “Girl, you have so much to learn.”

She walked over to the closet and retrieved a vivid red dress with a more than full skirt to it. She laid it out on the bed. “Barbara, you and I are about the same size. I’m five seven, you’re five six. I weigh a hundred and four pounds and you weigh a hundred and six. I wear a size five heel and so do you.”

She was studying me to see if any of this had sunk into my brain.

I shrugged my shoulders. “So?”

Judy pointed to the turquoise suitcase on the other side of the bed. “You flew in from Dallas yesterday to go to a prom dance with your cousin. You are staying with me instead of your cousins this week.”

It was finally reaching the part of my brain where thinking is supposed to take place if it isn’t turned off. “Oh no, you and Elliot are thinking you can carry this off for a week? No way, un uh, ain’t happening, no way Jose.”

“Yes way. Now let’s get ready. Come over here and let me help you with your makeup before you slip into the dress.” She motioned toward the seat by the dresser.

I was trying to convince her I had to get home before mom and dad called out the Marines to hunt for their son Buddy. “Mom and dad…,”

“Are happy Buddy signed up for summer camp this year. Buddy left for camp this morning. Elliot woke Buddy up and took him down to meet with the church group, where he would get on the bus and go to summer Christian camp, along with eighteen other boys.” Her eyes gleamed with mischief. She knew her and Elliot’s plans to set me up to not be missed were perfect.

I put my hands on my padded hips as I stared back at her. “Not so fast Sweety. I never signed up for any camp. Mom and dad would have to sign the papers anyway.”

“And…,” I cut her off as she started to speak. “And I never packed for summer camp, never left the house for summer camp, AND, when they check for Buddy Peck on their passenger list, I won’t be there.”

I knew I had outfoxed the foxes. With one phone call to the church counselors and Judy and Elliot’s whole house of cards would crumble in on them, crushing their devious little game in the process. Judy and Elliot would be so grounded they wouldn’t be able to leave their bedrooms until they were old and gray.

I couldn’t believe it when Judy started giggling again. Didn’t she know I blew up their plans for turning me into a girl for the day?” I not only destroyed their plans, I shipwrecked them so they would go down as a bigger disaster than the Titanic.

“Well Barbara, it looks like you have Elliot and me cold. I guess there isn’t any way out is there? What will it take for you to not tattle on us?” She was giggling between every other word.

Somehow she didn’t seem properly chastised. Her giggling didn’t assure me she was living in mortal fear of what was to be her last free day on earth. What had I missed? My plan was foolproof. The earrings? I reached up with my left hand and felt the large loop in front of the stud going through my ear. No, mom and dad would understand I had no choice after they heard the story. That wasn’t it. The pictures Elliot was going to show Judy? Fat chance now since I had danced my prom night away in dress and heels. Those pictures were tame stuff by now. What was I missing in this game of one upmanship? I was thinking I had the winning hand. Yet…, Judy wasn’t buying it.

“One phone call, Judy. All it takes is one phone call.” I was positive she should be quaking in her beautiful black heels by now.

Judy giggled as she pointed to the living room. “Phone is by the end table.”

“I’ll use it. I really will. If you and Elliot don’t return my clothes I’ll make that call.” I was getting worried because Judy wouldn’t stop giggling. The more I threatened the more she giggled. Some how either I didn’t know all the cards laid out or they had an Ace up their sleeves.

I took a couple steps toward the door. “I am going to go make that phone call.”

“The telephone is setting on the end cabinet. The Directory is in the drawer in case you don’t know the number you want to call.” She was about to die laughing.

I pulled up short. She wasn’t bluffing. She and Elliot had managed to foolproof their scheme somehow. What was I missing? It finally came to me. The only way to foolproof the plan was if some kid took my place. Okay, how would they work it? Mom and dad signed the papers thinking I had asked to go to summer camp. Elliot gets up early before mom and dad are up and carries my duffle bag and suitcase out to his car, saying he is driving me to the church bus. Mom and dad would be grateful they didn’t have to get up at that time. So…, at four or so I was obviously fictitiously sent off to summer camp. Elliot must really have been dedicated to their plan for him to get up at that time of morning after staying up half the night.

It was beginning to feel more and more like Elliot and Judy had boxed me in. I was going to be a girl today whether I liked it or not. The part that bothered me more than the idea Judy and Elliot had come up with this plot was... I kind of liked it.

Judy had her hands on her hips waiting to see if I was headed to the phone or the dresser. I finally caved as I ate crow and padded on my bare feet over to the dresser. I had done this last night in front of my own classmates. I could do this today while I worked on an escape plan.

Judy picked up the eye liner and started with my eyes. “Barbara, you really need to learn this so you can handle it on your own. I mean, look at you girl. You’re fifteen going on sixteen. You had your maid and butler waiting on you hand and foot all your life. You still can’t put on your own makeup. Now watch in the mirror and pay attention to how it’s done.”

Minutes later Judy finished her magic tricks. I had long lush lashes, my eyes were outlined in black eyeliner, soft earth tones for eye shadow, and my lips were a vivid liquid red. Her work with the foundation and makeup brushes was nothing short of phenomenal. She didn’t have to do my nails which she had glued on yesterday. They were still long and sharp and stood out in a very bright, liquid red color.

She backed up as she studied her handiwork. “Okay Barbara, stand up, lose the nightgown, drop the panties and put on your pantyhose.”

“Pantyhose?” I managed to squeak out.

“No corset to hold up your nylons today so it’s pantyhose. You will slip the panties back on after you put on the pantyhose.” She walked over to the dresser and lifted out suntan colored pantyhose.

“I’ve gone to hell.” I didn’t think girls had to go through all this to look good. But then I never gave a lot of thought to what girls went through to look good. I just naturally assumed God printed out boys and girls. When God printed out girls He made them with lipstick, and makeup, and jewelry, and dresses. When He printed out boys He made them with jeans, and…, jeans and…, jeans and…,

I lifted the nightgown up over my head and laid it down across the bed before I took the pantyhose from Judy. “Turn your back or leave the room.”

Judy turned around. I dropped my panties, sat down on the makeup bench, and rolled down the right leg of the pantyhose. I pulled it up my right leg and then the left leg was next. I retrieved the padded panties and slid them on making sure to adjust my water weasel so it wasn’t showing. “Okay.”

Judy turned around and nodded in agreement. “Very good, Barbara.”

She lifted a satin slip out of the dresser and handed it to me. “Over the head.”

I found the bottom and the front and slid into it from the bottom, letting it settle in over my head. I adjusted the thin straps on my shoulders.

Judy picked the red dress up off the bed. “Same way.”

The dress had a long zipper in back so I lined it up and dropped the dress over my head. I slid my arms through the arm holes as it settled. I shook my hips to get it to settle in place. The skirt was more than a full skirt. There was an awful lot of material in that glistening red dress. The skirt was short, about four inches above my knees short. The sleeves were about two inches long and had some sort of filler on top of the shoulder so the material stood up and fluffed out. The neckline of the dress was scoop neck in front and back. Even though it had sleeves, the open front and back made me feel naked. I adjusted the bra strap and slip strap so they didn’t show. My bare shoulders were still showing that white bikini tan line, which I wasn’t going to be able to adjust. That was going to have to go away with time.

“You do that so naturally you don’t surprise me any more. Turn around and let me zip you up.” She made a spinning motion with her finger on her right hand.

I turned my back to her and felt the zipper sliding up as the bodice got tight.

“Exhale.”

I let out my breath. Judy slid the zipper home and hooked it. “Slip into your heels and let me take a look.”

I picked the glittering red heels up off the bed and slipped them on. I was back up on my toes. The heels were three inch spiked heels. For a size five that is a really tall heel and does put one up on their toes. I picked up the black nightgown I had laid down on the bed, walked over to the closet, retrieved a hanger and hung it up so Judy wouldn’t have to pick up after me. The skirt was rustling with every step I took. It wasn’t a soft material like the gown I had on the evening before. It rustled with each step. I walked around to my side of the bed and started making it up. I fluffed up the pillow, pulled the sheet back in place, and then the bedspread.

Judy was watching without saying anything. When I finished up I looked over at her. “What?”

She smiled as she closed her eyes for a second. “When I visit Elliot and walk into his room, it’s always a pig pen. Clothes are on the floor or strewn about, the bed is never made, and papers and books are scattered everywhere.”

“I’ve seen Buddy’s room. Everything is always so neat and tidy. The bed is always made, the books are so well stacked it doesn’t look like he ever reads them. The clothes are always hung up out of sight.” She looked straight at me. “I’m not surprised by what you just did. I was kind of admiring the way you did it.”

I shrugged. “I kind of like a neat room. Elliot doesn’t care as long as it is his room. I like your room. You keep everything picked up and put in place so you know exactly where it is. I noticed you don’t waste time looking for something because you already know where it is supposed to be. I like that.”

“Me too. Let’s call Elliot and see where that boy is. He was supposed to be here by now.” She walked over to the closet and took out a red shoulder purse that matched my heels. “Put your necessities from your clutch in here.”

That stopped me cold. Clutch? “Oh froggers. I left it in Tank’s car last night.”

Judy shook her head. “Young ladies do not misplace their purses. We carry our lives in those purses. Lipstick and makeup are two items we would never be caught without. Basic girl rule, you never misplace your purse, even if you forget everything else.”

“I’m not a girl.” I protested.

She put her left hand up under her chin as she cupped her left elbow with her right hand in deep thought and stared at me.

“I don’t know what you’re thinking but forget it.” I was hoping to derail any further helpful ideas from Judy.

She snapped her fingers. “Sit down in front of the dresser. There is work left to be done.”

“Can’t we leave well enough alone? Shouldn’t you be getting dressed?” Judy was wearing jeans, a light blue polyester blouse, and sneakers. Of course she was a fox no matter what. I bet when Judy was born the doctor held her in his arms and said this girl is one foxy baby girl.

“Sit.” Judy commanded as she pointed at the seat.

Sighing in resignation I walked over, held my skirt with my hands, and sat down.

The loop earrings didn’t suit Judy. She changed them out to diamond or crystal chandelier, long dangle type earrings. The posts never came out so I could only guess how she was attaching those earrings. The earrings cascaded about three inches and tinkled and sparkled even when I wasn’t moving my head. A matching multi strand necklace was next along with four bracelets.

“Turn your head.” She put her hand on my head to turn it away.

I did and felt something against my right ear. It clicked. I felt a stinging in my ear. “Ow…, what did you do? That stings.”

There was a second click and that same sting further up the ear. “Judy, that hurts.” I started to reach up to feel my ear.

She stopped my hands and pushed them back down in my lap. “Be still.”

There was a third click and a sting close to the top of my ear before she walked around to the other side. “Turn your head.”

“Judy, that stings. I don’t know what you are doing but it hurts.” I turned my head as I was trying to explain to her this wasn’t any fun. I heard a click and my left ear felt a sting. “Judy…,”

“Be still.” There was a second click and third click near my left ear. The sting felt worse. It may not have been as bad as a wasp or bee sting. I won’t say it wasn’t tolerable, but it did sting.

“Okay, you can look in the mirror. Don’t forget your purse.” She was walking out of the bedroom.

I turned to look in the mirror and…, oh poop…, I had three more studs in each ear, not counting the earrings she put in the day before. The lower stud in my right ear was a little above the original earrings. It had a red stone that caught the light and sparkled and glittered. It wasn’t that small either. The second stud up had a blue stone that caught the light and sparkled and glittered. The top stud had a clear stone that sparkled with the light. Underneath those studs was a narrow gold and silver filigree band where the tiniest rhinestones sprinkled in it. The band lay with the curvature of my ear from the second stud up to the top stud. It looked like a miniature diamond bracelet. I slipped one of my long fingernails under it. It was fastened under the studs somehow and probably not removable from the looks of it.

Feeling with my fingers it felt more than just studs on the back side of my ear. Turning my head and pulling my ear forward to look I saw a matching band of filigree on the backside of each ear. I could only guess it was the backing for the extra three studs. My left ear was a match for the right. That ear also had a row of rhinestones from the second stud to the third and fourth stud. The same type backing was used in my left ear. Now each ear was sporting three extra earrings.

I couldn’t believe Judy would put earrings in my ears that couldn’t be removed. I figured I might just possibly, in the wildest sense, explain away one earring to mom and dad. There was no way between heaven and earth I was going to explain four in each ear or eight earrings. This sink hole I was trapped in was getting deeper and deeper all the time. I now knew what quicksand felt like and I was positive I was in it. The harder I struggled, the deeper I was sucked in. Those pictures Elliot was blackmailing me with yesterday were a non event. He could show them to the whole world for all I cared at this point. I would even help him pass them out among the kids at school if it would turn back the clock on yesterday and let me start all over again.

Alas, my problem was the age old problem of young and old alike since the beginning of time. Mistakes can’t be undone. Trying to get out of a situation can lead to an ever worsening situation until one reaches the point of no return. I was positive I'd passed the point of no return by now. There wasn’t one definitive moment when I can say, ah ha you need to go back now while you still can, but it happened just the same.

I walked over to the bed and picked up the shoulder purse as I plotted Elliot’s slow, really really slow, death in my mind. Walking into the living room I saw Judy pick up a brown purse off the couch where I first saw her that morning.

She looked over at me after she retrieved her handbag off the couch. “You look positively radiant, Barbara Peck.”

I didn’t feel radiant. I felt trapped. “Thanks for the compliment Judy. I have a…,” I stopped and gave it some thought. No matter what, I did feel pretty and Judy had a talent for making me into a girl even when I wasn’t. “A very beautiful girl helped me get ready. Now shouldn’t you be getting ready?”

The doorbell rang. Judy walked over and opened it up. Elliot stepped into the living room. He reached out and gave Judy a hug. “How’s…,”

He had looked across the room where I was. “Holy mackerel…, Barbara? Jeeze whiz, I’d never recognize you if I had met you in the mall.”

“If that was a compliment it sure fell flat.” I waited for Judy to run to the bedroom and change into dress and heels.

“We’re late. Let’s go.” Judy was motioning me out the door.

“You aren’t going to change?” I was positive I didn’t want to wear a dress if Judy wasn’t.

She looked at her watch. “No time. Let’s go Barbara.”

“Can’t I put on jeans and…”

“No time. We are late. Let’s go hon. NOW!” She was pushing Elliot out the door ahead of her.

“I’m in female hell.” I mumbled as I walked across the room and out the door ahead of Judy.

Elliot was holding open the passenger door on his Mustang. He had the seat pulled forward. I held my skirt and climbed into the back. He let the seat back and Judy slid into the passenger seat. He closed the door and walked around and slid under the steering wheel.

“She looks awfully nice and so do you.” Elliot was making small talk as he pulled out of the driveway.

Yes she does. Barbara has so much natural beauty I don’t have to do anything to bring it up.” Judy gave a slight nod of her head.

Elliot found the freeway and was up on it in minutes headed across town.

“Where we going?” I was curious as to what we were late for where I needed to be dressed up and Judy could be…, well, that girl never could dress down if she tried. She would always be a fox in a dress or jeans.

“Mechams” Elliot pulled over into the second lane to get by a slow dump truck.

“Bill’s store? What is at Mechams?” Why in the world would we be going over to Judy’s parent’s store?

“You have fun at the prom last night, Barbara?” Elliot looked up into the rear view mirror at me for a reaction.

“Dead Meat” I mouthed so he could read my glossy red lips.

“Judy and I sure did. Unless I am mistaken it looked like you and Tank were having fun.” He glanced in the mirror again.

I nodded. “Tank was. Having fun that is.”

“He called this morning…” Elliot let that hang without finishing it.

“Called? He wanted to discuss football?” I was hoping my brother and Tank were discussing play strategy for the next school year.

“He wanted to know about my cousin Barbara Peck. Asked if she was going home today? Wanted to know if she visited very often? Said he would like to see her again.” He took a sideways glance in Judy’s direction as he was talking.

“You tell him Barbara died! She isn’t ever coming back again.” I was positive I wasn’t ever going to be Barbara again after this little game of Elliot and Judy’s was over.

“Actually, I told him Barbara was going to be staying with Judy all week. Mentioned she was flying home with Judy and her parents when they went to their trade show this next week.”

Even from where I was I could see a smile on Elliot’s face as he grinned from ear to ear. Surely he was joking! “You didn’t…, did you? Did you really say that?” I felt the quicksand getting deeper and deeper as I was sucked further into this scheme of Elliot’s.

“I did. Maybe not in those exact words, but the meaning was the same.” He hit the exit ramp for Patton Street.

“Thanks for nothing, big brother.” I used my most sarcastic tone of voice.

“Think nothing of it. I am.” Was his favorite retort when he had me down for the count.

“Neanderthal.” I volleyed back to him.

“Little sister.” He gently returned, in a softer caring voice.

That was the one that choked me up and stopped me. I looked down at my hands with the long, liquid red fingernails cupped in my lap, on top of my glistening red dress.

Elliot pulled into the huge parking lot in front of the Mecham’s Furniture Store. The store took up a whole block on Broadway and Main. There were a lot of customers already in that store on Saturday morning. Mechams was one of those stores that wouldn’t have to worry about the Wal Marts or the Target super stores. They sold the quality merchandise and had customer support those other stores couldn’t, or didn’t want to try to match.

Elliot parked way out in the parking lot where most of the spots were empty. I knew why he did it. He didn’t want his Mustang getting beat up by people opening their car doors against his car. Buddy didn’t mind the long walks to the stores when he was riding with Elliot. Barbara on the other hand would be happiest driving right up to the door so she didn’t have to make that long walk with every thing wearing pants eyeing her.

Elliot slid out and walked around to open Judy’s door. He held out his hand as Judy slid out of the front seat. I had never paid any attention to my brother and the little things he did for Judy. I didn’t see any of the other boys doing it for their dates. It never registered on my mind why Elliot did it for Judy. Now I understood, as he pulled the seat forward and held out his hand for me.

I took his hand as I worked my way up out of the back seat and stood up beside the car. “Thank you kind Sir.”

“You are more than welcome cousin.” Elliot closed the door after I had moved out of the way.

He put his right hand around Judy’s waist and gathered me on his left as he walked us to the entrance. Something else that had never entered my mind before now. Elliot was signaling to the world the girls were with him.

The people who shopped Mechams were more mature then the bubble gum crowd at the prom last night. There weren’t any cat calls or wolf whistles across the parking lot. However there were a lot of heads turning from both men and women as Elliot escorted Judy and me into the building.

“Judy” A woman waved from the front desk over to our right as we walked in. “Hello Elliot.” She was giving me the once over several times over.

I could see curiosity written all over the woman’s face as Elliot and Judy returned the acknowledgment. I wanted to slink back out to the car and hide in the back seat.

“Judy, it wouldn’t hurt you any to dress up a little too.” Came from a recognizable voice over to our left.

“Momma, I didn’t have time.” Judy was making excuses before I turned to look at Miriam.

“This time I’ll accept that since you kids came in so late last night. I noticed Barbara had time. If my memory serves me right, she came in after you. I expect you to dress up as long as Barbara is visiting.”

Miriam was wearing a lime green silk or satin dress with a Mandrian design to it and matching heels. She was wearing silver looped earrings with a single strand diamond necklace. Now that I had time to think about it I didn’t ever remember a time when Judy’s mom wasn’t wearing a dress and looking like Mrs. Ward in Leave it to Beaver.

She met us as we walked over in her direction. She reached out and took my left hand. “Barbara, I hope some of your fashion sense wears off on my daughter while you’re staying with us. You might try giving her a few lessons if you have time.”

“Cough, cough” I bet my eyes looked like two egg whites about then as I tried to get the stupid look off my face. Me giving fashion lessons to Miss All American Girl!

“Uh…, Judy…, uh…, she…, I don’t think there is anything I could teach her…,” Oh how stupid and lame that sounded.

I turned red from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. “I mean she already knows it all…,” Oh, just shut up stupid, and pull your foot out of your mouth.

“I mean she’s so talented.” There! Finally something intelligent came out of my mouth.

Miriam looked over at her daughter while she held my hand. “I hope it shows up this week while you are staying with us.”

Oh what a sly underhanded hint Miriam hit Judy with. Was that what mothers and daughters did to one another?

“I’ll try momma, but you know me. I just can’t seem to figure out what the basics are and…,” Judy put the back of her right hand up against her forehead. “Color co-ordination is so confusing. Purple and orange do go together don’t they? Or was that orange, green, and purple?”

I glanced over at Judy. Her eyes were sparkling as she came back at her mother with such sweet innocent ignorance.

I slightly shook my head. I bet that girl was color and fashion coordinating while she was still in diapers.

Miriam let go of my hand as she smiled with a mother’s pride, knowing Judy was teasing. She pulled a phone out of her purse and pushed a number. “Kids are here, you ready? Ten minutes? Send them to get a table? Okay.”

She clicked it and put it back in her purse. “Bill said he was hung up with a customer for another ten minutes or so. You kids go on and we will meet you there.”

“Love you mom.” Judy stepped up and gave her mother a hug before Elliot led us back out of the store to his car.

We were headed back to the freeway for another few miles before Elliot dropped down off on Chester Street. He pulled into the parking lot at Randys. Randys was one of those restaurants for the upper class. They charged an arm and a leg to smell the food. Expect to pay a whole lot more if you want to eat some of it.

“I don’t have any money.” I whispered to Elliot as he pulled the seat up to help me out.

“Me neither.” He whispered back as he shut the door.

“Well, don’t look at me. I didn’t bring any money.” Judy stood back with both hands on her hips looking at Elliot.

“Whose turn is it to wash dishes then?” Elliot gathered Judy and me up and led us toward the entrance.

Judy and Elliot turned their heads to look at me.

“Oh no, not in…,” I held out my right hand as I adjusted my purse strap up on my right shoulder with my left hand. “Surely you can’t expect me to wash dishes and get my hands all yucky with all that greasy dish water.”

Judy shook her head as she giggled. “That sounds soooo Barbara.”

She held out her left hand with the manicured nails and the beautiful long fingers. “Goes for me too. Certainly I can’t be expected to wash dishes if Barbara doesn’t.”

Elliot snorted as he held out both his hands. “You girls can’t expect me to wash dishes. These hands are too valuable to the football team to put them at risk in a sink full of knives and forks.”

“Let’s go home then.” I offered before we walked into Randys.

“Too late.” Elliot opened the door for Judy and me.

“Mecham and party.” Judy met the maitre d’ as she walked in the door.

“Certainly.” He looked down at his register. “Party of seven. Would you like to wait for the others or may I show you to your table?”

“Table please.” Judy reached out and wrapped her left hand around Elliot’s right arm.

“Please follow me.” He turned and was headed into the dark recesses of the restaurant.

The maitre d’ pulled back a chair at one of the tables and waited. Elliot pulled back a chair for Judy. I guess the maitre d’ was holding that chair for me? I sat down in the offered chair. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure. Leon is your waiter. Would you ladies and gentleman like something to drink while you are waiting for the rest of the party?”

“Coke.” Judy was arranging her napkin.

“Same.” Elliot found his seat.

“Ditto” I didn’t have to think if I followed Judy’s lead.

“Your drinks will be here shortly.” He turned and left.

“I bet I can’t afford to pay for the drinks in this place.” I was looking over at Elliot hoping he had brought some money.

“I know I can’t.” He bounced back to me, knowing he wasn’t offering me a lifeline.

The maitre d’ was back and pulled out a chair.

I wasn’t looking when she sat down. I was looking the other way at Elliot when she said. “Thank you.”

My heart stopped. My world turned black. I wanted to die right then and there. I hoped God would toss a Lightning bolt into that room and kill me. I would have run if my whole body hadn’t turned to Jell-O. I stopped breathing. That voice belonged to my mother! Oh God take me now!

up
313 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loving this "story"..

innocent Barbara being fed to the sharks. I have thought from the beginning that Buddy might be protesting too much. He learned the lesson years ago that if you had dangling bits, any sign of the least bit of femininity meant instant bully attack. He would be bait for all the worst attacks that Elliot would have the hardest time protecting him from. Obviously his bravado act didn't stop those in the know from recognizing her true character.

I am really enjoying the way you are weaving the details into your work.

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

So Here It Comes...

…either the Big Reveal, where we find out why Mom (and probably Dad; it's a table for seven) knows what's going on and approves, or yet another fake story that Elliot and Judy concoct knowing that they have Buddy too scared to deny it.

I'm betting on the first option, though I'm hoping we get an explanation that demonstrates that Buddy/Barbara intended this a long time back, and not one of those "you make a better girl than you ever did a boy, and you'd know it too if you'd just admit it to yourself" scenarios.

Unfortunately, the only reason I can come up with for the extra piercings is that Judy (and whoever else is in on the details here) wants to make it as awkward as possible for Buddy to back out of becoming Barbara for more than just a few days -- which suggests that they're not at all confident that Buddy really wants this. (I guess simple sadism could explain it too, but I'm still hoping for something more wholesome than that.)

We continue to get reveals that there's more to Barbara's femininity (deportment, comfort, behavior with people who don't know her) than Buddy has any way of explaining to himself or to us. I'm looking forward to finding out why.

Eric

I like the story but I've

I like the story but I've never understood, in this type of story, why the person getting changed who seems to have no clue why their sibling who they got along perfectly well with before and then suddenly turns on them, wouldn't ask the question "what did I do to make you hate me"

"Oh God take me now!"

giggles. This should be good ...

DogSig.png

Second option

I pick the second option, the parents don't know. I would think a more upfront approach would have been used in that case. Also the current tone of the story can be continued if they don't know.

I am looking forward to the next chapter in either case.

DJ

An accident with amnesia?

She got wopped on the head and forgot everything? They are trying to help her remember?

Got me.

Gwen

An improbable but enchanting story

Like so many of the other commentators, I can't get my head around Elliot and Judys planning and plotting. The way they have gone about this doesn't fit with the loving and caring relationship we are told that Buddy and Elliot have always had. Nor do I understand why Buddy is so compliant and apparently willing to go along his treatment without more protests. Surely he would throw a few more hissy fits out of shear fear, or threat of embarrassment, even if he is secretly enjoying himself.

Other than that I have to say I am enjoying this story immensely. I would love each scenario to be expanded upon, and maybe have a bit more jeopardy inserted. Maybe one of his teachers could have shown a glimmer of recognition at the prom, and not quite dismissed it? Or one of Buddys classmates could have engaged Barbara in conversation and started to ask probing questions that threatened to expose her. It all just seems to go too smoothly.

That said, I'm hooked and I can't wait until the next installment. And I hope there will be many, many more of those.

This is FICTION! It bears

This is FICTION!

It bears only a passing resemblance to reality!

It's like people getting worked up and agonising over what happens to characters in TV soapland. It ain't real, folks! Somebody made it up.

Suspend your belief and just enjoy a well written story and let's see where it takes us.

Doesn't she know!!!

Pamreed's picture

Her parents were part of the plot!! They probably helped plan it.
The back story will be pretty good. I think Barbara has some
remembering to do!!

doesnt she know part 2

somehow I do feel that Buddy's/Barbara's parents are involved in this but it should be interesting to see where this wonderful story ends up. I love it thank you dear author

almost a girl

more please, when is the next one out

Never mind the boys.

Jill Johnson's picture

They wouldn't recognize a fun story if it came with a map in the centerfold labelled, dig here for a good story.

I am loving every twist and turn and am looking forward to your resolution of all these threads.

Jill

Parents

I think the parents are in on it.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna