Julina of Blackstone - 028 - Beginnings

Printer-friendly version

Julina has some more firsts – and initiates some too.

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

028 - Beginnings


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
028 – Beginnings

”But I didn't shoot the Deputy,” continued the stricken Haka.

You will readily understand that there was no way on Anmar I was going to leave without getting a full understanding of what was involved in THIS story, even if it took all night.........

With what seemed to be about a hand of hundreds of people all talking at once, it was unnecessarily complicated to piece together the events, but I believe I have done so at long last. I may actually have stamped my foot once or twice. And my glare certainly worked on more than one occasion.

The Sheriff and Suril had recruited an extra six people, four men and two women, as deputies and Em and the Captain had also found some dozen trainees to form the basis of a part-time soldiery. With some overseeing by their respective bosses, both Em and Suril started the required training for each of the two groups.

It soon became apparent that there were several areas of overlap and the two leaders worked ever more closely together to save duplication of effort. This was not a permanently on-going activity for the soldiery, who had also to do other work, whereas the fresh deputies were being paid to be deputies. On one of the days, they decided to combine an exercise with the objective being to see how capable all these fresh recruits were when it came to shooting crossbows.

Using the garden at the corner of our new house, and shooting across the Claw's empty paddock, the test firings took place on the morning of the day before Pomma and I returned. One recruit, one of Suril's team, was detailed to carry out a stand-up target for the other recruits to aim at. The idea was to place the target quite near the assembled personnel, let them have at it, then move the target back a hand of strides and repeat the exercise, eventually finding those who could still be accurate at farther distances.

The recruits started shooting their bolts at a mere ten strides and some of them proved to be quite accurate. The target was then retreated by the hand of strides and so the exercise was repeated. No-one was eliminated at this stage, so it was time to start again. And again.

As the next rotation took place, the first shot at the target had knocked it over, it having been placed unsteadily on the ground. As a result, the target man was despatched to restand it at a better place. He repositioned it and stepped away, but then saw one of the feet was sinking so he turned back. At that moment an over-eager recruit let a bolt loose. It struck the target man in the thigh, who collapsed with a bellow, clutching at the injured and bleeding leg.

All the rest immediately dropped their weapons to the ground and rushed to help the wounded man.

Haka, with Haris in her arms, had been inspecting our new house and came out to see what the commotion and fuss was all about. The first thing she saw was a discarded but loaded bow pointing straight at her. She immediately skipped to one side, shielding her baby. Deciding that this could be dangerous to someone else, she thought to change things. She reached down with her one spare hand, intending to point the thing in a safe direction.

Her finger touched the trigger. Unfortunately, the bow had not been latched properly and the apparatus shot its bolt as soon as she touched it, narrowly missing her. The thing arrowed up into the clear skies before lazily turning point down and plummeting earthwards once more.

The Sheriff was just crossing East Street to view the training session when the bolt from the blue slashed down the length of his forearm, fortunately only scratching the skin rather than actually penetrating the flesh. That didn't stop him yelling mind you. It took but a heartbeat or two to discover that the damage was minor and nowhere near as bad as it could have been. Nor was the other man injured seriously, the bolt there 'just' passing through the fleshy part and missing any vital bits inside.

Needless to say, safety standards were devised and strictly enforced from that moment on!

… … …

Finally, we managed to return to the Claw so I (and Papa) could retrieve my packs. There was a note on them to call on Sookie before departing, so, amid harrumphs and tutting from Papa, we had another short delay.

“I forgot to say earlier, Julina, that you should be at the parade ground at First Bell tomorrow morning.”

“Parade Ground?”

“Yes, the western end of the camping place that the Sheriff and your Master Michen have taken over. I really strongly recommend that you come, and get your Father to accompany you too, maybe even the whole family. Now I have to dash back inside, I have some meat in the oven, and your father's patience may not last much longer! See you up there tomorrow morning.” So saying, she turned on her heel and scurried away.

Papa looked at me as I looked at him. We both shrugged at the same moment, neither being any the wiser as to Sookie's strange request. And Sookie had not given me a chance to tell her that I was in fact going for a ride in the morning after all, and would have to fit in my tales of the Vale after that. I realised that maybe I should also tell Pomma, and said so, but Papa took me firmly by the elbow and hustled me up the slope towards our house.

Thus it was that we finally made it back to our old home. As we went past, I had noticed a slight difference at the new one but again Papa refused to let me linger, saying that tomorrow was time enough for all that.

… … …

It was very gratifying to have been missed so deeply, but the welcome from my siblings nearly bowled me over. They all rushed to me at the same time, yelling their heads off and making enough of a din to be heard down in Tranidor, it seemed. I was swamped by reaching arms, and young Kord needed to be picked up. He was very sniffly which made me feel a little guilty that I had abandoned him, but then I realised that actually I hadn't really and I told myself that he would have to get used to it. Swayga looked over their heads to me and smiled her own welcome back, and I responded in kind.

The chaos was immense at first until Papa enforced some order upon them all: “If you would have a little patience, then I'm sure dear Julina will answer all your questions. And she will only have to explain things once rather than once for each of you. So let the poor girl at least go to her room and change out of her travelling attire, and then she can keep us entertained as we eat.”

Although I was the one talking most throughout that meal, I did discover some new differences. Both Swayga and Kords could now ride, having bras and riding skirts and breeches. The Claw had a hand of new saddles cut for generic use rather than tailored as Papa's, mine and Pomma's were, and fully two hands of frayen had been delivered up to us, all of which were currently being used to train riders, but the deputies and the militia leaders would gradually stake claims to them, thus reducing the number of beasts available for the 'riding school' as they called it. They also used the beasts to hire out to riders who could prove their competence.

Sookie, Parry and Papa were all making some (little) coin from this new enterprise, Papa saying that he had already recouped the outlay of half of one of the hand of beasts he had purchased. The other hand had been purchased by the Town as the deputies would be using them. Sookie was beginning to get concerned about these 'outside' activities overwhelming her responsibilities as Tanon's 'depot manager', but realised that half the new intake of beasts would soon be leaving as would Boxin and Wiget return to Waldan and Pomma's home.

They all oohed and aahed when I showed them the drawing that Pomma had done, and they were fascinated by the tale of the discovery of the old Chivan stone quarry. There were some sighs from the girls about the baby pakh. One part of my mind was amazed at how matter-of-fact all this seemed to me already, having related the tales before, and yet, to this audience, the stories were still fresh.

And so the evening drew to an end, Kords and I leaving the adults to do whatever it is that adults do by retiring to our bedroom and we chatted for a little while before sleep claimed me.

… … …

The awake period was strange for me, I suppose because of the disruption of the travelling. It was only later that I discovered I had lost all my notes of that evening, the notes from which this part of the tale was wrought. Thus this one is more purely memory than anything else. It was sort of worrying to me, because I had never done anything so silly before. I put it down to tiredness. And hoped that it would not come over as being too disjointed a tale.

… … …

And so another day began.

A beginning so completely different that I felt there should have been a thunderclap, or a peal of bells or something similar.

But it didn't seem like that at first.

I could feel in the air that we had a cold start, and when we went outside we could see we had one of those funny weather periods, that could sometimes last up to three or even four weeks. The skies here were clear and crystal bright. And cold. Looking down the valley, I saw as I had by now expected, a sea of cloud, out of which the peak at Strettalm rose with a grandeur and a disdain all at the same time. The background of the clouds behind it meant that I could just about make out the semaphore structure balanced precariously on the peak with my unaided eyes. From many stories related over the years, I knew that under the cloud, the land would be having miserable weather, rain, sleet or even snow. It seemed to me always as if this weather pattern sucked out the moisture from our air up here, and moved it all down valley. We all went back in to get a thicker coat, or add an extra layer to our clothing.

Note, I said: 'We all'.

Every single one of us in the family went along to the 'Parade Ground' as Sookie had suggested we do. And every single one of us was amazed when we got there.

I was initially very shy but let myself be persuaded by Sookie to join in, so Swayga and Kords did as well, we three feeling some safety in numbers, and after some initial reluctance, so did Papa. It was not too hard to join as there were a good fifty people all gathered there, and each and every one of them welcomed us politely and without any outward sign of being judgemental. We stepped into the crowd of doers, I suppose that's the right word, rather than just joining the observers. Molly, Kelly and Gyth all saw me start, so they took part as well.

Not that anyone was actually doing anything at that precise heartbeat. As for us newcomers, none of us had any idea what this was all about. We stood around and asked questions, which were not really answered, when there was a short, sharp and yet authoritative triple clap from the middle of the throng.

“Good morrow, all.”

Everyone turned and looked at the speaker, falling immediately into a respectful silence, after murmuring a reply. Sookie, of course, was there with Uncle. Also Masters Bezan and Yarling, and I saw with a little shock, Master Blandel. Suril, Haka and Em, although Em was restricted by the bandaged arm, as was Master Fedren. Epp was there, and Grizanthet, and …..... It brings nothing for me to name everyone present, so I shall cut the list short there, and continue my report with what this stranger then said.

“My name is Tarpsik, and I have been honoured to be selected as today's leader for the Tiechee (or some word like that – it was new to me). I have been doing this for many weeks now, and indeed I noticed yesterday that we have another form we practice downvalley that comes after the last of the forms I observed when I arrived. I understand that Milady departed a few weeks ago and maybe she did not have the time to demonstrate the extra one before she left. I know them all as I am based in Palarand City and have been with her trainers down there. I ask that today we try to ensure that an experienced practitioner is at hand to ease the awkwardness for the many newcomers I see, recognisable due to their extreme but unwarranted nervousness.”

With that, he smiled a gentle and yet commanding smile, spread his arms wide and concluded with: “So, my Lords, Ladies, Gentlemen. We shall begin.”

He turned his back to us as everyone gathered themselves together, Sookie whispering instructions to me and Swayga.

And this strange dance, this Tai Chi as I later learned it should be written, commenced. I followed as best I could, my awkwardness rapidly disappearing as I saw all manner of people following these steps, movements and body twists. Some men were extremely stiff, some children ungainly as they unconsciously tried to force their movements. Maybe I'm biased, but I thought the women were the most graceful.

And it was surprisingly invigorating both physically and mentally. I knew that I would want to continue to do this and thanked Sookie for the encouragement. She assured me that it would not take that long to learn.

Once the exercise was over, it was noticeable that the observers were making more noise than the practitioners, who to my eyes were contemplative and yet somehow charged up. Those who had not participated felt able to criticise those who had, and I found that very irritating indeed.

I took the opportunity and explained to Sookie about the changes to the plans for the day, following which we all turned away to head towards the Claw.

However, there came an interruption, one that made Sookie, Swayga, Kords, Kissa, Kelly, Molly and Gyth all giggle, and me blush.

“Mistress Sukhana, a moment if it pleases! This lovely young lady with the red hair I have not seen before. Will you not introduce me?”

As I was the only redheaded young lady amongst this large group, it was obvious about whom Tarpsik was talking.

“Ah! Certainly,” said Sookie after a quick eye check with both me and Papa. Laughingly, she continued: “Goodman Tarpsik, may I present Mistress Julina, who has been away with friends up in one of the valleys round here for a few days? Julina, my dear, may I present Goodman Tarpsik, a leading wagoneer in Master Tanon's company. He arrived the day before yesterday, together with another wagon sent by the authorities in Palarand City, no less. He and his colleague Danfik were delivering two new and far larger steam engines to Master Brydas here, sent from the Guilds once they read Milady's letters about the need for more powerful machinery to help with many aspects.”

“Mistress Julina. It was nice to see such a willing newcomer to the Tai Chi. I regret I know the town not at all well, else I would invite …..”

“And Goodman Tarpsik, may I present Master Kordulen, Julina's father? Mistress Swayga, Julina's soon-to-be step-mother. Her sisters, Kordulet, Kordulissa and Jululet. Her brothers …..”

The poor man had to stand there as Sookie drew out the introductions to everyone else around. It would have been rude in the extreme to have walked away in the midst of the list, and he kept flicking nervous glances towards Papa as Sookie continued. I think some others caught on as to what was happening, as it seemed to me that several others sort of wriggled through the throng and caught Sookie's eye, giving her another name to add to the list. There were several grins all around while this was going on and I was hard put not to show mine. The man was probably ten years older than I and certainly did nothing for me, but nevertheless I felt a little sorry for him and the situation in which he found himself; this helped me hide any grin that might have crept out.

I, as was proper, had my eyes downcast – for the most part. I did however, notice an unusual event going on in the background and watched out of the corner of my eye as a messenger boy was despatched from the semaphore station above the Cistern and ran over towards us, obviously searching for someone. He changed direction abruptly as he caught sight of his target, and I kept watching, trying not to be obvious about it, as he ran up to where Masters Bezan and Yarling were strolling off towards the Steward's House, in the company of the Captain and Master Fedren. There was a certain amount of consternation amongst the recipients of whatever the message was once it had been delivered, and the lad dismissed; their heads all swivelled around. Finally, one of them spotted someone else, and they all went over towards that extra person, but then my vision was blocked.

By that time, Sookie had reached the end of her enormous list and Tarpsik nodded a genial and smiling acknowledgement to everyone around, his eyes twinkling as he realised what had been going on. That spoke well for the man, not that it made him any more attractive to me, mind you!

“And for your information, Goodman Tarpsik, Julina is not yet counted an adult. You would require my permission if you really wished to pursue this matter.” I'm not sure I have ever heard that stern note in my father's voice before.

“My apologies, sir. She has the air of someone far more mature. Had I known the circumstances, then I would naturally have approached you. Now if you would forgive me, Danfik and I have to be leaving in the morning with loads of coal and the letters that several here will have written to the Guildmasters. We have much to do today to prepare for the long journey.”

He backed away and took his leave with no lingering awkwardness and everyone bade farewell before turning to each other and continuing to make small talk.

I wanted to ask more about this Tai Chi business, but was again interrupted.

“Mistress Julina, good morrow. And Mistresses Kellonika, Molleena and Gythy. And of course, all here assembled.”

“Your Honour, Masters Yarling, Bezan, Michen. Good morrow.”

“We have just received a message from the Forest Roadhouse via the semaphore. Apparently, a party of three men has just departed there bound for here. One is a Guildmaster, travelling with two assistants. It would be best if we were to provide them with one of your special meals in the Salon this evening. Would that be at all possible? Master Michen here has no objection.”

I flashed a look at the others in our team and got my answers from each.

“Certainly, your Honour. Provided always that Master Michen can provide the food, of course. For how many mouths do we have to cater? And how many courses?”

Thus it was decided there and then, that there would be eight to feed, not counting household members. They made it clear that they wanted it a fairly simple meal, to convey a certain simplicity of life up here. And so it was confirmed with no further discussion that I and Molly would get to the Salon at the first full bell after noon, the girls a little later.

Finally, we all separated on our own tasks, chores and events.

… … …

They all laughed at my face when I saw the extra surprise that had been hinted at the night before. Only Pomma showed any surprise, so I knew all the others knew.

We had left the Parade Ground and made our way down to the Claw, collecting Pomma on the way. I explained what was happening and she was delighted to have another ride, and to have some time chatting with Sookie about our Vale adventures once the ride was over.

So it was that Papa, Swayga, Kords, I, Pomma, Parry and Master Bezan set off from the Claw. It was a gentle ride, to be kind to Swayga and Kords, just down to the Fish Farm with the two tanks of foti that had been delivered the night before. The twin tanks were draped across my animal's back as we walked down the road. We would release the fish into the lake and then go back to the Claw – just a gentle 'break in' for the newer riders.

We progressed down the road, slipping into a position, sufficiently far away from either to prevent dust problems, between two coal wagons although the temperatures were cold enough to make even the dust want to stay in bed and not venture out into the air. Crisp would be the right word to describe that air, I feel. Not quite cold enough to freeze the water in the metal tanks, but enough for the fish to be noticeably slower in their movements. At least I assumed that was the reason for the slower movements. I hoped they weren't dying or anything like that.

I noticed something different as we approached the second roadstone. And not just the wagon sitting stationary there. There was also a pile of something just off the road, covered with a tarpaulin. As we had approached, the driver of the wagon in front of us had alerted me to it; he gestured to the pile and spoke about it to his labourer/guard. What they said I have no idea, they were too far away to be audible, but their gestures were eloquent enough.

Papa went a little faster so he could get to the pile and remove the coverings before the rest of us got there. The others were all grinning, which made it obvious that just Pomma and I were not in on the secret. I didn't need to get all the way up to them to recognise them for what they were. I just needed to be closer to be able to count them. Another hand of pairs of fish tanks. Papa assured me that there were a hand of fishes in each. So all in all we had a further sixty fish with which to stock our lake. I was struck by the confidence everyone had that they would survive here. The driver of the stationary wagon grinned delightedly as the full surprise was finally sprung. I recognised him as the shuttle driver from the previous evening, when all in the plot had make it seem that that pair of tanks was the totality of the present sent up by, presumably, Master Steef.

Certainly, their plan had worked – giving me the glimpse of the two tanks last night had in turn given me something to look forward to, and also a good reason for selecting the Fish Farm as our ride's destination this morning. A perfect distance for the new riders. Swayga and Kords particularly were grinning still with the delight of being astride an animal, just as they had been all the way down here.

And so the men loaded the tanks, including those on my beast, onto the wagon, and also a strangely lumpy pair of sacks. We all moved on, once again dismounting near that passageway through the reed wall.

There is not a lot of interest in describing the release of the fish, but I feel the awe on Swayga's and Kords' faces is worthy of a mention. They too were amazed at the expansion of their horizons, just as I had been oh so recently and they were fascinated to actually see the lake which I had only described to them beforehand. The sacks turned out to be filled with something an expert (Master Steef?) suggested would be good fish food, and half of one of the sacks was scattered on the surface. We were gratified to see a frenzy of activity as the fish realised that they could rise and scoop the stuff off the surface. I think they were anxious to add to their reserves for the winter which was obviously well on its way. Master B, with a nod from Parry as well, explained that the other half sack should be scattered in a week's time, and then the final sack emptied over the following two weeks. By then the fish should have settled in and slowed down for the winter. Swayga immediately volunteered herself and one of Kords or I to come down to feed the fish each week. The Spring would tell us if out attempts to establish a food supply were successful or not.

Thus it was that we all returned towards the Claw smiling and chatting as we slowly made our way up the road, unhampered by much other traffic going in our direction. The extra wagon had left as soon as it was unloaded, the driver being required to leave with his shuttle at the noon bell. In direct contrast, a constant stream of coal wagons was passing downhill; I did not envy them that as the cloud cover, which started not much farther down from where we were, was not looking very inviting. It was much more fun up here in the sun.

We knew that these wagons took nearly half a day to get to the Forest Roadhouse, and that therefore the volume of traffic would decrease sharply after lunch. In fact, there had developed a habit of 'afternoon wagons' parking on the level ground by the bridge if there was insufficient time to reach the Forest Roadhouse, and the drivers would then awaken early and set off at first light, some apparently getting all the way to the Brayview roadhouse during the day that followed.

Some took this idea a little further, literally, and actually drove down to the junction where the Loop Road would join the Main Road, once it was opened, and parked there. Giving themselves a few more marks less to travel. But the long walk back from there was sufficient to deter most of the drivers from doing that. Getting back down there of a morning was never going to be a problem, of course. So by mid-afternoon on most days, the level place was already mostly filled. I could see a time when we would need a larger parking area.

I felt an idea brewing in my head, and I turned round to check a few things out. I looked behind us down the road, and just had to laugh. We all reined in and turned to see what had amused me.

There were five heads, bobbing up and down just above the top of the clouds, their mounts being totally invisible. Even as we watched, first one, then another, pair of frayen ears appeared as well. I guessed that the riders had another quarter of a mark to go before they were fully out of the cloying clouds. Every step though that they were taking revealed more and more. But to have just seen their heads was a remarkable coincidence of time and weather, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the moment. A descending wagon waded into the cloud and we watched as it disappeared until finally only the drivers' head was left. I doubt any of us will see the like of that again in our lives.

We turned back and started out again. I estimated that the travellers would catch us up as we got near the bridge at the bottom of town.

And so it transpired.

… … …

“Might ha' known. Don't pay you for picnicking with women, Bezan. I want to see you this afternoon, tell me why you're not working proper. And you!” said this short prickly, pugnacious person to Parry, “who are you and what do YOU do?”

Master Bezan was obviously trying to formulate a polite reply but Parry had no such qualms: “I don't know who you are, sir. And we are at war I am told. I shall tell you nothing until I know your allegiance.” With that he walked on ahead of the rest of us who had all stopped in one large group.

That didn't last long. A shout from a wagoneer left no doubt his opinion of riders that block the road. What annoyed me was that, as soon as he saw there were some women riders here, then of course the blockage was entirely due to women, even though every one of us was actually on the verge and it was the men blocking the road, particularly the five men who had caught us up.

I recognised two of these men, they were Blackstone residents. Apparently, they had accompanied the other three up from the Forest Roadhouse, just for that journey. They tipped their hats to us all and continued on to their destinations, leaving the pompous, noisy man, who was obviously in charge, and his two assistants to join together round Bezan, leaving us women unacknowledged. We decided to leave the men here, now that we had all moved off onto the level place by the bridge, and we women would return the animals to the stables at the Claw. We started to move off, but a call from Master B stopped us.

“Hold, ladies, please. I shall escort you, as I should.” He turned back to the little man. “Guildmaster, if you would bear with me, I shall accompany these ladies to their stabling and can then come with you to your allocated rooms.”

“Allocated rooms? We've only just arrived on a surprise visit. How can we 'ave allocated rooms?”

“The semaphore told us of your departure from the Forest Roadhouse, Guildmaster, and we laid plans accordingly.”

“Don't be daft, man. There was so much cloud and snow down there, not even a light could penetrate the overcast.”

“There is a peak near the roadhouse and if you turn and look, and your eyes are still sharp enough, you can see the top of it there ABOVE the cloud layer.”

“Harrumph. And I suppose in this frontier town, t' accommodation will be quite crude? Some inn perhaps?”

“The Steward has agreed to accommodate you as his personal guest for the time of your visit. You will find him a very pleasant fellow, but a stickler for 'form' and not one to accept injustice in any form. I believe you will have heard of him. Captain Bleskin?”

“Bleskin? Of the Palace Guard? Well blow me down. What's HE doing up here in the wilds?”

“He is a personal friend of Milady and is her representative here. His word is Law as far as anything goes around here. Not someone anyone else would wish to upset. He believes in people using their minds, but comes down hard on those of us who fail to take ALL knowledge into consideration before making judgements. He does NOT accept jumping to conclusions.” There was a quiet but distinct warning in Master B's tone as he said this, a message clearly received and understood by the Guildmaster, who was torn between showing his now-recognisable natural aggressiveness and a more sensible business or even political attitude.

Whilst this exchange was taking place, two more coal wagons had started their descent into the snowy conditions that awaited them; their drivers and labourers and guards had all recognised the Guildmaster and straightened to attention as they passed, looking, to my eyes, faintly ridiculous as they saluted whilst remaining seated. The Guildmaster acknowledged each with a peculiar wave that hovered somewhere between formal and informal. I realised that these wagoneers were ones that worked for the Miners' Guild and were not working for Master Tanon.

… … …

Pomma and I spent some time with Sookie, telling her about our time up in the Vale, and we agreed that tomorrow's ride would be to the Chivan stone quarry, to see developments there. Pomma told us that actually that would be her last ride for a while. Swayga and Kords wanted to accompany us as well and Sookie and I agreed that it wouldn't really be too much for beginners. We did warn them that their muscles would be protesting, but they laughed that off. Sookie and I looked at each other and raised our eyebrows.

Pomma, Swayga and Kords all came with me up to the Forge, from which came a lot of clamour and puffing and hissing.

Yes, we had to go in and investigate. I for one was impressed at the size of the new steam engines, when compared to the little one I had seen before. It looked far more powerful, and Uncle told me they were going to test its strength on the morrow.

“In the afternoon, I trust? We are riding to the far end of the dam lake in the morning!”

“Very well, I shall arrange my day to fit round yours!” But he was laughing as he said that, knowing that Sookie would want to be there too.

I went home with Swayga and Kords after that and we had a nice lunch, all the family together before I had to go off to work.

… … …

Molly and I were getting to be a much better team now we had some experience, so we arrived at the kitchens and got straight into it. This time it was a simpler meal than before and that, coupled with our growing abilities and experiences, enabled us to get nearly all the preparations done before the sun disappeared. We went outside and sat on a rock to watch the last of the direct sun – it was a pleasant, cold admittedly but still pleasant, little break that we took as we watched the sun disappear from our view behind the western ridges and peaks. The eastern peaks were still basking in direct sun even after we had been plunged into shadow.

Molly drifted off in her thoughts somewhere and I knew her well enough to let he do what she wanted without interruption. She was muttering to herself for a good few moments before she sighed and said: “Got it! Tell me what you think?”

She took a breath and spoke again, in the tones people use for reading stories to others.

“And now the day is over,
See the shadows start to grow.
The sun has done us well today -
In flaming crimson he'll explode;
In a burst, a million colours
Are sent to spill across the sky.”

I was silent for a heartbeat or two, and she was getting really worried. I realised that I needed to reassure her.

“Molly, that's just beautiful. It's just perfect. I am very impressed. Well done indeed. Remember it and I'll write it down for you. No, better still, we'll get Pomma to make a picture of a sunset and add your words to it. Ooooh – that might be an idea for a little extra coin. We should think about that. But now it's time to go back into the kitchens and start the actual cooking. The other two will be here soon, and we'll have …..”

“Hah! Look at this Kelly. I found two lazy kitchen staff just sitting around doing nothing.”

We stuck our tongues out at Gyth, leaning there in the doorway; all four of us laughed and had a quick hug before returning once more to the warmth of indoors. Our team swung into action as I told them what we would be serving this evening and to how many and so on. Soon we were all working merrily together, setting the tables and starting the meals. We knew that we would also be feeding Em, Master Morden, Kassama, Suril and Haka too, as well as ourselves, making 17 meals in all. It no longer seemed the huge task that it would have appeared only a week ago!

… … ...

“I don't like him! He's far too well dressed to ever go down a mine so what makes him the big boss, huh? And he's hardly big is he? Why should he get a lot of money because other men dig coal and ores out of the grounds?”

“It's just because he didn't acknowledge you properly.” Nor had he me, either, but then I had an idea of what to expect after the earlier meeting with him.

“Nonsense. He's aggressive and so sure of himself. I hope that meeting in there puts him right. And his associate, that Brathan. He hates women, you can tell. Fancy trying to tell Gyth and Kelly they weren't allowed in the room!”

“The Captain soon squished him, though. I thought I would laugh when he told Brathan to go and eat elsewhere if he felt that the Captain's arrangements were unsatisfactory. At least that Horran, horrid as he is, backed up the Steward's point of view on that point.”

“True, true. … … Here, what do you think? Are these desserts serveable like this?”

“They're excellent Molly. Even the sourpusses should smile at THOSE!”

Which is exactly what happened.

As usual, we were called into the dining room to be thanked and the only sour face was that of Master Brathan. I think we were all surprised when Guildmaster Horran offered another Solly for us to share, by way of thank you. I caught a quick look of respect flash across the Captain's face, before we were ushered out again to get on with the cleaning up. Again Kassama and Haka helped us and it was all soon done. We shared the gift in the same way as we did before.

We chatted, I'm sure you will be surprised to learn, as we did the tidying up, and the girls reported that His Honour was often irritated by the Guildmaster but they actually had constructive conversations.

His Honour did pull the Guildmaster up on one point and laid down the law to him. He made it plain that the Miners' Guild were not paying Master Bezan anything, that Master Bezan was employed directly by Milady and that the Guildmaster had neither responsibility nor authority over anything that Master Bezan might do. This had been confirmed and agreed with the Guildhall and the documents were handy for inspection should they be required. The Guildmaster objected that it was he who arranged for Bezan and Yarling to join the caravan initially and was corrected immediately and firmly by the Steward, who pointed out that the Guildhall in Palarand had nominated the persons, the Guildmaster merely had to arrange for them to join the caravan.

Kelly told me that there had been hints about secret instructions given to the men, particularly Master Yarling, and the Guildmaster wriggled a little in his seat at that. However, the three visitors, His Honour, Masters Bezan and Yarling, Master Fedren and Master Michen generally had a good meeting. Once the developments that had occurred and were envisaged had been thoroughly explained, the Guildmaster actually expressed his approval. They all agreed that the most limiting factor was actually the water supply, Master B announcing that they were, just but measurably, using now more water than was provided by the dam and aqueduct system. There was no danger of running out in the next half year, but sense dictated that no more residents were taken in – this in turn meant that the miners present would also have to help with some of the other jobs around, as they were doing now. The rainfall at this time of year was a factor, of course, there being obviously less.

Kelly and Gyth were reasonably certain that the Guildmaster was left with an appreciation of the required juggling of priorities, and a new viewpoint of how developments should be handled in less civilised areas. He was a little put out that his secret visit was announced before he reached us, but understood the huge advantages the semaphore could give. It was all weather-dependent of course, everyone understood that, but even so, to be able to pass messages so swiftly on most days of the year would be a great boon in many ways.

We were just packing up the very last of the things when Kelly asked if anyone knew where the Guildmaster was staying.

“He is in the Steward's house and his associates are sharing a room down to, sorry down AT, the Bell.”

As I said this, it was like a bell sounded in my head, and that thought I had had this morning sprang into my mind. I put down my cloth and told the others I would be back immediately. I went to the dining room door, knocked and poked my head round.

A silence fell in the room, except for a shocked and disapproving 'Tut' from that Master Brathan. I knew enough to wait until asked to speak, so I was prepared for a little delay.

“Mistress Julina,” said the Captain. “To what do we owe this pleasure? Don't look so worried. You have not interrupted anything of major importance.”

Brathan could not hold back his disgust. “You allow mere servant women to just interrupt whenever they feel like it? Really Your Honour – I am most astounded.”

“Master Brathan, you have had enough warnings as to your behaviour to have realised that your attitude is hopelessly out of date and is in fact offensive. I shall expect an apology before you leave, if you are incapable of giving one now to us all, including the young woman you have just offended. Do I make myself clear?”

“.......Your …. Honour,” he stammered in reply.

“I repeat my question. Do I make myself clear?”

“But Your Honour, she is a mere kitchen worker – a woman. I fail to see any requirement for an apology.”

“Master Brathan. You have been present at a meeting between your Guildmaster and Milady Garia, have you not? Did you really think that what Milady said was nonsense and to be just brushed under the carpet? This young lady here has done more for this town in the past weeks and months than just about anyone else. It was she who cooked your dinner tonight and it was she who had the idea for this room to be a private dining room. There is a list of her achievements almost as long as this table. I for one, and Master Bezan for another, would probably drop whatever we were doing to listen to one of her ideas. So yes, an apology is expected and already overdue. I suggest strongly that you think hard about it.”

He turned to me and smiled nicely: “Mistress Julina. Do I detect from that expression on your face that you have indeed had another idea?”

I had blushed heavily during the preceding, so I could only squeak out: “If it pleases, Masters, I have indeed had an idea. Perhaps Master Bezan could have a chat before he leaves. I shall wait in the kitchen.” I drew my head back hurriedly and returned, shaking, to the others.

I quickly explained what had happened and there was much tutting and sympathy from the others. I told them not to wait for me as I had no idea how long Master B would be, but they all stayed with me, whether out of sympathy or inquisitiveness I wasn't sure. Probably both. But I wasn't prepared to speak up about my idea until I had dealt with my doubts about it, and those answers would only come from Master B.

So we sat there, still chatting away for a full quarter of a bell before Master B arrived.

I sprang to my feet: “Oh Master Bezan, I am so sorry to have caused a problem. Should I go and apologise?”

“Do not dare do so. It is not you that requires to apologise. That man's manners were appalling and I have never seen Captain Bleskin so angry, apart from when he received the news of the attack on Milady. That man brought it entirely upon his own head and has been banished from the town. Even Guildmaster Horran agreed that he had overstepped the bounds. His Honour told him that he could overnight tonight in the Bell, but that he had to leave before the first bell tomorrow. Even then he refused to apologise, so I feel a letter shall be sent to the Guildhall. If I am any judge, the man has just shot himself in the foot, to refer to crossbow accidents for a moment. I suspect he can kiss his career goodbye. His only hope is to claim the wine got the better of him and that he apologises in the morning; I just don't see it is going to happen though.”

“Oh I wish I had never come in now.”

“Now, now, Mistress Julina. This is not your fault. He has been upsetting nearly everyone since he arrived. Yours was not the sole cause. There is something in his background that has made him thus. Now, what is this idea of yours?”

“Oh it seems so trivial now. I wonder if it's worth all the fuss!”

“Come on, girl. We all know your ideas have merit. Now tell us!”

“Well, I was thinking. There are many wagons parked at the level ground near the bridge, right? So they can get away early in the morning? So many in fact that some are now parking off the main road all the way down by the third roadstone, using the unused bottom end of the Loop Road. By doing that, they can get away first thing, and with good conditions get all the way down to that other roadhouse, Brayview, I think it's called?”

“Yes, that is indeed happening. Not many do it, because it's awkward getting back to town once they have parked. They can always get a lift down in the morning of course, as all the other wagons set out.”

“But that seems to me to waste the very advantage of parking down there in the first place. They need to get a lift back down to their wagons, and then they start out later than they could.”

“Hhmmm, true.”

“Just opposite the junction is an old building, that seems sturdy to me. The occupants today were wondering if they should depart, but maybe they could be persuaded to take on the responsibility for the Fish Farm. Their current home would then become available. Why not turn that building into a bunkhouse? The drivers could spend a night there. Get some breakfast at dawn, and get immediately underway. Some staff could go down on the shuttle maybe each day, prepare the beds and the breakfasts, and return on the evening shuttle, or even stay overnight to serve the breakfasts and get a lift back to town with the first traffic that comes along. Surely that would get the coal downvalley just a little quicker? And that seems to me to be a priority nowadays. It would also provide another small business opportunity for someone to gain just a little coin.”

“Once again, you have seen a simple and sensible solution to a problem that we hadn't even seen. This just might fit in with another little problem I have. Again, we all thank you. I shall get back to you to let you know how it develops.”

… … …

And so it was that another day came to an end, and I slept easily and well. Ready for my next day.


up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Like Mistress Julina !

She is just what this culture needs ! We could do with her on this planet too, to put these stupid islam idiots right.

Briar

*

I understand (and agree with) your exasperation with the "Islam Idiots".

But don't let that cause you to miss seeing the "Christian Idiots". Or the "Jewish Idiots".

Or the "Atheist Idiots." (I generally self-identify as Atheist although that's not quite right. But mostly I try to disavow the idiocy part.)

Religious extremists/hardliners/zealots or what-have-you are essentially all the same. The specific religion they claim to follow matters not. Bigotry and domination are their sacraments. If you are not like them, they will attack you.

***

Religious extremists from all religions tend to be a fairly small group. But it only takes a few assholes to mess things up for everyone.

Sigh,
T

Delete Buttons

Seems the delete button didn't spoil the story. Great chapter.

DJ

It seems to me that Julina

It seems to me that Julina has a far better view and understanding of what the future holds for Blackstone and the region than most anyone else except Garia. I hope that Captain Bleskin and a few other officials of the town might persuade Garia to afix on Julina some 'ranking' for her continual efforts to make Blackstone region better.
I am very glad the Captain took this jerk Brathan to task and banished him from the town and area.

Chivan Chariot

Now that we know there is a Chivan (Roman) chariot in the dam stone quarry, where might the surviving horses be herded? Did a herd survive and if so, who's going to be the first to capture one and try to ride it.

Wild thoughts and wild horses Yipikia!

DJ