Almost A Girl Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Almost A Girl Chapter 6 of 10: Please direct all PM's to: http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/user/barbielee

I was headed for the exit. I knew I couldn’t do that again even if my life depended on it. I was going to leave while everyone was fooled into thinking I could shoot. We made the locker and gathered up our shoes and clothes before heading out to the car. Judy and I were still wearing Wildcat cheerleader uniforms. She said we had to wash and iron them before returning them to the gym.

Sitting in the backseat, making small talk with Tug, I figured we were headed home. Until Elliot pulled up into the high school parking lot and killed his Mustang. “Now what?”

“Tank and I are going to go pick up our uniforms. We are going down to the photo shop to have pictures made with you girls. Come on.” He opened the door and walked around to open the door for Judy.

She slid out and pulled the seat forward. “Come on guys.”

“Sure, why not?” There weren’t a whole lot of things I could say with Tug there. First off I didn’t think anyone would be there to let us in. Second if someone was there, they surely wouldn’t let the boys borrow their football uniforms for some stupid photo shoot. I followed Tug out of the backseat of the car. This plan had to been hatched between Tug and Elliot while Judy and I were practicing with the cheerleaders. It was one more reason to kill my brother when this was all over.

My earrings tinkling reminded me of Judy’s tricks. I was positive I was going to be Barbara one more week now. Certainly I didn’t want them cutting my ears off to remove the earrings. Changing back to Buddy, with the kind of earrings Judy had placed in both ears, wasn’t an option.

Tank put his left hand in the small of my back as we headed for the school building. To my disgust the front door to the building wasn’t locked. We walked another block inside the building to the back, where the gymnasium was located.

Elliot knocked once on the coach’s door opened it and walked in. “Mr. Barney.”

I would have stopped before I walked into Mr. Barney’s office, except Tug was right behind me. He had his hand in the small of my back, pushing. Now a little push from Tug isn’t something I could have resisted unless I had been expecting it and had my legs locked in a defending stance. I didn’t have any of those things as I half skipped into the coach’s office ahead of Tug.

Coach Barney looked from Elliot to Judy. “Hello Miss Mecham. Joined the High School Wildcat cheerleaders did you? The name you have on your uniform doesn’t look right.”

Judy looked down at her left breast and giggled. “Borrowed Cynthia’s uniform for tryouts today. Hope I’m half as good as she was.”

Coach nodded. “I remember Cynthia Davies. Pretty girl, smart too, made three point six on her grade score. I watched you at the Junior High games. I have no doubt she would be proud to have you wearing her uniform.”

He turned his attention toward me. “And this is Miss...? Obviously another borrowed uniform. I remember Miss Toni Dendon. She is a senior at Texas University this year. She is going to be a computer engineer. Very smart girl.”

If it had been possible I would have slunk back out the same door I came in.

“Barbara Peck, she is from Dallas and was trying out with me at the gym today. We met Jo and Sally Ann at the Shortstop earlier. They asked Barbara to try out for the Wildcats.” Judy responded for me.

“How did she do in the tryouts?” Coach Barney glanced over at Judy for an answer.

“She did great. Jo wanted to get her signed up while we were there. Sally Ann said she was the second best one in the tryouts. It was the only time she had ever seen any girl who could perform as well, without coming up from the Junior High Wildcats cheerleaders squad.” Judy looked at Coach Barney and then me as she smiled from ear to ear.

Second best? I thought I had been klutzing it. I didn’t have to ask who was number one. Of course it was Miss Homecoming Queen herself. Need we ask?

“Thinking about transferring, Miss Peck? Hummmm, you kin to Elliot?” Coach Barney was looking at me as if he was studying the game plan.

I shook my head no before I thought about who I was supposed to be. “Cousins.”

“Never can tell Miss Peck. You might like us if you gave us a chance. Coach Johnson was in the Pro Club gym this afternoon while you girls were trying out for the Wildcat Cheerleaders.” He waited as if he expected me to respond.

I had no idea where he was going with this conversation. I knew Coach Johnson was the Lady Wildcats assistant basketball coach.

Coach Barney slightly shook his head as he studied me. “Called me a few minutes ago. Said he had witnessed something he was still having a hard time believing. Seems as if one of the cheerleaders is also a basketball player. Her name is Toni. Made some amazing baskets before she walked out of the gym. He called to ask me if I had ever heard of her before. Coach Johnson wants the young lady on his team this year.”

Coach Barney chuckled, as his eyes danced in amusement. “I can tell you, Coach Johnson is down at administration right now, checking school records for Toni’s last name so he can go talk to her parents about her playing for the Lady Wildcats. I’ll give him another ten minutes of searching before I call him and ruin his dreams of going to state with Toni as his star shooter.”

I didn’t respond as I had nothing to say. This whole mess was getting more messy by the minute. Okay Elliot one more reason to wrap my hands around your throat and cheerfully strangle you to death.

He pointed to the two football uniforms in the corner. “Bring them back when you can. I expect copies of the pictures. I plan on showing Coach Johnson pictures of Toni and watching him cry.”

“Thanks Coach.” Elliot picked up a uniform and tossed it to Tug before he picked up the second one.

I was closest to the door, and I wanted out of Coach Barney’s line of sight. I backed out before I turned around and waited in the hall for the others. Great! Just peachy! Now I was not only Barbara Peck in Coach Barney’s mind, I was Toni what’s her name in Coach Johnson’s mind. The school’s two top high school sports coaches, and I was now permanently framed in their minds as a girl. I could not begin to imagine what was going to happen when school started again in three months and they happened to meet up with Buddy, who just happened to look a lot like Barbara and Toni. God…, if you love me, take me now and spare me the misery.

Lucky me, Coach Barney didn’t spend a lot of time at the junior high games, except scouting the up and coming players. Up and coming players didn’t spend time bench warming like I had the past two years. Elliot made second string quarterback his sophomore year and actually played more games then Ronnie Denuk who was a senior and the first string quarterback. Elliot made first string quarterback, with Tug filling in as second string, their Junior year. Now both boys were going to be seniors and Coach Barney hadn’t filled in an alternate quarterback from the freshman team. It was going to leave a hole in the Wildcats team when Elliot and Tug both graduated next year.

I knew this coming year was the year the Wildcats would take state. With Elliot and Tug playing there couldn’t be any doubt. I didn’t know if I wanted to be a bench warmer on the high school team, or not. I hadn’t made up my mind yet. I was positive, with Elliot as quarterback, I would get to play some as wide receiver. I didn’t want to let my parents and Elliot down, but the cold hard facts were, I was never going to amount to anything as a football player without Elliot making me look good with his perfect passes.

I sighed as Tug stepped into the hall and put his left hand in the small of my back as he carried his football uniform in his right. I guess I was good for standing in with the other kids in photographs and not much else.

Tug glanced in my direction as he steered me back down the hall. “That was a deep sigh. A penny for your thoughts.”

“You would be cheated. My thoughts aren’t worth that much.” Maybe being a girl for a week or two was going to be the highlight of my pathetic life? I gave Tug a smile as I shook my head.

“You sure do have a beautiful smile Barbara.” Tug was smiling back.

“And you, kind sir, are a gentleman.” I could only imagine what Tug would have done if he knew I wasn’t a real girl. I gave a silent prayer, hoping Tug never found out or I would really be dead in the truest meaning. I made a mental note for Buddy to never meet Tug come next fall when school started. It was going to be hard keeping out of Tug’s line of sight, with him and Elliot being good friends and team players.

It didn’t take long for us to be back at Kingsmen Mall. Judy, the boys and I attracted more than our fair share of attention. I had a strong suspicion it was because Judy and I were wearing Wildcat cheerleader uniforms and escorted by two of the best looking boys in school. They didn’t have to change me into a girl to know Elliot was a handsome boy. He may have been my brother but he always was the best looking kid in school no matter what grade he was in. Tug wasn’t any second, also ran, himself. Different handsome but most certainly a good looking boy. Any girl who got him could count herself fortunate. I didn’t have to guess who was going to get Elliot. He had his arm wrapped around his favorite squeeze for the past three years. I may have only been fifteen going on sixteen, but I figured Judy would be Mrs. Elliot Peck before she graduated from college.

Minutes later we were in Bundy’s Studios for the second time in as many days. I think I had more photographs taken of me in the past two days than I had all my prior life.

The photographer motioned Judy and me over in front of a blue screen. “Ladies, while the boys slip on their uniforms, why don’t we take some cheerleader shots of the two of you?”

“Okay, come on Barbara.” Judy was pulling me along toward the props.

The photographer looked confused. “Barbara? I take it you aren’t Toni? Oh, you were the two young ladies David took prom pictures of Friday evening. The pictures are ready if you wish to take them home with you after we do the photo shoot.”

“Sounds like a plan. How do you want us to pose?” Judy had stopped in front of the blue screen.

“I don’t know exactly. What about the names on your uniforms? Didn’t David say he took pictures of Judy and Barbara? Are you Cynthia or Judy?” He lined up his camera as he was talking.

Judy giggled. “I’m Judy but it doesn’t make any difference. Call me whatever you want. I’m positive Barbara won’t mind if you call her Toni. If the names on the uniforms confuse you use the names you are looking at.”

“Thanks, that will make it easier. By the way, my name is Pete. Okay Cynthia, do you have any routines where you and Toni would be close together?” Pete waited for a pose he could use.

“Sure, the dragon chant. We line up one behind the other to imitate a dragon. Barbara.” Judy bent over at the waist and put her hands on her knees as she looked to the left, as if facing the crowd.

I knew the cheer. I lined up behind Judy and put my hands on her hips as I looked to the left.

“Great, smile.” There were several flashes as the camera auto wound for pictures.

“What else can you give me?” Pete waited for a fresh pose.

“Well, there is a pyramid, but we are missing three girls for that one. How about half a pyramid base? Barbara, face me and do the same as me.” Judy dropped to left knee and put her hands on her hips.

I stepped around in front of Judy, dropped to my right knee, put my hands on my hips and faced the camera.

“I like it. Smile ladies.” There were several more flashes of light as Pete exposed film.

Pete took several more shots of different poses, most of them from our side, looking at the camera. A couple were full front. Judy dropped down and did the splits on the carpet. I dropped beside her. I may have had my legs spread but there weren’t any splits to it.

Tug and Elliot were soon back and the photo shoot started fresh all over again, with Judy and me beside Elliot and Tug respectfully. The boys had their helmets in their arms, and then their laps, and then they were kneeling. Judy and I had our hands on their shoulders. Then it was Elliot and Judy, Elliot and me, and Elliot and both us girls before we did the same routine with Tug. I was sure everyone who saw those pictures would never figure out who Cynthia and Toni were. Well, maybe they would figure out Cynthia and Judy were one and the same. It didn’t make any difference what name she had over her left breast, she was still a fox, second to none.

It was almost an hour later before our group was headed out of the shopping mall. We received even more looks, if possible. Elliot and Tug were still in their football uniforms carrying their street clothes in plastic bags Pete had supplied. I kind of figured Bundy’s Studios sent out a lot of people wearing something different than they walked in wearing, because Pete handed out the bags as soon as he finished shooting film.

It wasn’t dark, but it was getting late as we walked out to the car. Tug opened the door for me and held up the seat. I managed to get into the back without showing too much rear. I thought Tug was going to have to take off his football uniform before he worked his way into the back. He filled up the back when he wasn’t wearing a uniform. With all that extra padding he had to double up his knees after he finally made it.

“Tank, you okay?” Elliot was looking at his best friend as Tug had his head bent over to keep from banging the top of the car.

“Let’s go. I can’t stand this for very long and I ain’t getting out so I can get back in.” It was plain Tug wasn’t comfortable.

“Hang tuff.” Elliot let Judy slid in before he shut her door and headed for the drivers side.

Minutes later we were out of the parking lot, headed west. Elliot glanced over at Judy as he turned onto Brooklyn Drive. “You look at any of those pictures from Friday night?”

“Not yet.” Judy opened the packet Pete handed to her before we left the studio.

“Nice.” Judy held up an eight by ten of a beautiful young girl in a black satin gown. It took me a second to realize that was me. I looked mischievous for some reason. The second picture Judy held up was Miss America in a liquid red, strapless gown. God was that girl beautiful! I was insanely jealous. I would have traded anything to look half as pretty as Judy. Judy held up a third picture. It was Elliot. He was beyond doubt the best looking boy I had ever seen. Funny, I wasn’t jealous, but proud that he was my brother. Elliot was the All American Boy every parent ever dreamed of having as their own son. I would always be Elliot’s little brother. The kid who never made it on his own, but lived in his big brother’s shadow. Again, funny because I really didn’t mind if that was the way my life turned out. Elliot was my hero too, even if he was my brother.

I looked down at the long red nails on my hands and smiled to myself. It was going to be a shame to kill him, but all heroes come to an end sometime. Even big brother heroes. Especially if they turn little brothers into little sisters.

Elliot pulled up in our parents driveway and killed the car. “Everyone out. You too Tug, if you can make it. Tug and I are going to go change while you ladies find us some snacks.”

I choked. Surely Judy and Elliot didn’t think I wanted to go into my own house and meet Buddy’s parents again? Because it was Sunday, of course they would be home. I shook my head. “I’ll wait in the car.”

Judy was already out. Tug was struggling to get out. He finally rolled out the door onto the ground before he could stand up.

Judy shook her head as she motioned for me to follow. “No can do. Come on Barbara. You can’t wait in the car. We are supposed to find goodies for the boys to snack on. We means you and me, not in the singular sense. Come.”

“I’m going to kill both of you.” I muttered under my breath as I slipped out of the backseat.

“I heard that! You need to find a new choice of words. That one is getting old and you have worn it out. Besides it sounds so…, ugly.” Judy shut the door behind me.

“A different choice of words escapes me at the moment. Besides, thinking of murder is the only thing that keeps me going.” I gave Judy my best, ‘you are dead meat’ stare I used on the opposing team when I played football.

I don’t think it had quite the effect it was supposed to have. Judy giggled as she gave me a smile. “You need to work on your dead meat stare Barbara.”

Tug was looking at me kind of funny as he put his hand in the small of my back and urged me for Ethan and Sherry Pecks home. I was positive my parents weren’t going to be fooled twice. Maybe in the restaurant they had been occupied visiting with Judy’s parents? Dad was busy discussing the coming football year with Elliot then too.

I walked into the house ahead of Tug, knowing I was going to be found out by my parents. The boys headed for Elliot’s room to change clothes. Judy steered me toward the kitchen. I didn’t need steering any more than she did. She had been in our home a thousand times. It was probably as familiar to her as it was to me.

Mom was in the kitchen setting food out on the table when Judy and I walked in. She glanced up and then took a real good look. “Don’t you girls look nice. Hello again Barbara. Are you going to be a Wildcat cheerleader?”

“Uh, ah, I…, mo…,” I was scared to death. If mom didn’t recognize me under Judy’s makeup tricks, she would surely recognize my voice. And to top it off I had almost called her mom.

“Barbara tried out with us today. Jo and Sally Ann said she was good enough to be on the squad. They were trying to get me to sign her up before we left.” Judy was positively beaming as she glanced from Sherry to me and back again.

“That would be wonderful wouldn’t it Barbara. I know they wouldn’t have asked you to join if you weren’t good at it. Did you sign up? If you transfer from Dallas it might be too late if you wait and do it later.” Sherry moved the sandwich spread away from the edge of the table where she had placed it when we walked in.

“Uh, cough, cough, I, ah…” I didn’t know what to say and was afraid of saying anything, lest my mother recognized my voice.

“Barbara came down with some kind of cough since flying down here from Dallas. Here is that agreement she needs to sign in order to join the cheerleaders.” Judy pulled a piece of paper from out of her left bra. She unfolded it and placed it on the table where my mother had cleared a spot.

Sherry smoothed out the wrinkles and lifted up the top page to look at the second page. “I don’t see why Barbara can’t sign this right now. Barbara honey, sign this so you won’t lose your place in the cheerleaders squad in case you transfer.”

“Cough, cough, uh…,” Okay God, pull out the lightning bolts and strike me dead now! Hesitantly, slowly, I walked around beside my mother to look at the papers Judy had magically produced. How could Judy do this to me? I was only going to be a girl until Judy received that tool for removing my earrings. There was no way on this screwed up little earth I was going to go back to school next fall as Barbara Peck.

My mother slipped a pen into my hand as I was reading that commitment to be a cheerleader. I could do this. I mean, really. I wasn’t Barbara Peck, so it wasn’t really a commitment on my part, was it? Do not sign it Buddy Peck. I signed Barbara Peck on the line where it asked for a signature of girl requesting permission to join the Wildcat Cheerleaders Squad. Not bad, not bad at all. I had out foxed the foxes. No court in the land would hold me to that contract. It was as phony as a three dollar bill.

My mother put her arm around my shoulder and gave me a squeeze. “See, that wasn’t so hard was it? Now if you transfer they will have a slot open for you.”

“Uh, okay.” I was positive my mother would know it was her son Buddy when she put her arm around me.

“I know you will want to transfer to join the cheerleaders.” Sherry handed the signed papers back to Judy. She turned her attention to taking lunchmeat and trimmings out of the fridge.

“I’ll help.” I stepped up beside her and reached in for the lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes. The same thing Buddy had done most of his life. Helping out in the kitchen.

“Thank you Barbara.” Sherry walked over to get plates out of the cabinet.

I followed her over to the counter and pulled out a platter to place the lettuce on, before peeling back leaves and spreading it out on the platter. The pickles were next as I opened the jar, retrieved a fork, and dug pickles up before spreading them down the side of the platter next to the lettuce. The cutting board was in the cabinet and the knives were in the second drawer from the end. I found my favorite serrated knife and sliced the tomatoes before spreading them out on the opposite side of the lettuce from the pickles. The platter looked attractive with the red tomato slices giving it the right amount of color. I carried it over to the table.

Sherry placed the plates on the table and snapped her fingers. “Glasses.”

“I’ll get them.” I walked back over to the left end of the cabinet and took out six glasses. Back to the table to set them down.

“Thank you Barbara.” Sherry was smiling with a smile I recognized. She knew something.

What was she smiling about? I had no idea except she knew something. “You’re welcome m…, Mrs. Peck.” I had almost called her mom again. Think before engaging mouth.

“I’m Sherry and my husband is Ethan. Mister and Misses Peck sounds so formal. Please call me Sherry or mom if you like.”

I started to turn to get the ice for the glasses and froze, as my blood turned cold. MOM! Did she know? I turned back around to face her. I know there was fear in my eyes. Fear was also written all over my face. She wasn’t looking at me but at Judy.

Judy smiled and giggled. “I call Sherry mom all the time. It seemed okay since I spend a lot of time over here. I also call Nathan dad a lot of times.”

My legs turned to rubber as relief flooded my soul. Judy did call my mother mom. So it would be natural for her to tell me it would be okay to call her mom. I turned toward the fridge so mom wouldn’t see my face. I was shaking all over, inside as well as out, as I tried to think, what next?

Judy walked around the table and retrieved a pitcher out of the cabinet. She handed it to me. “Here, I think this is what you need to get the ice in.”

“Thanks.” Barely made it out of my throat as I took the pitcher and pushed it under the ice bin on the fridge door. Ice started spilling into it as I grasped it with both trembling hands to stop it from shaking.

After I managed to get that ice pitcher back to the table, Sherry nodded in silent agreement. “Looks good. Let’s call the men. Barbara, would you be kind enough to tell the boys it is ready?”

“I guess.” I was still quivering jello inside as I headed toward the hall to call Elliot and Tug to the table.

The phone rang as I stepped into the hall.

“I got it.” Came from Nathan in the den.”

Seconds later dad hollered loud enough for the boys to hear him back in the bedrooms. “Elliot, Coach Barney wants to talk to you.”

“Got it dad.” Echoed back down the hall from the bedrooms.

Except for the one person who was out of place here, it sounded like everyday life at the Peck house. All the yelling back and forth had a normalcy about this whole strange situation. My nerves finally settled down. I walked down the hall to knock on Elliot’s door. “It’s ready.”

“Heard you, thanks Barbara.” Tug’s voice carried through from the other side of the closed door.

I could hear Elliot talking on the phone. It was impossible to understand what he was saying, except for the occasional word now and then. I wondered why Coach Barney would want to talk to Elliot? Had to be something about the boys borrowing their football uniforms.

I walked back down to the den. “Mr. Peck, it’s ready to eat.”

He looked up from his papers he had been reading. “Okay, did you call the boys?”

“Yes Sir.” I wasn’t too scared of dad recognizing me if mom didn’t. Mom and I seemed to be a lot closer than dad and I were. It seemed funny as Elliot and dad were a lot closer than Elliot was to mom. I guess in an odd way our family balanced out.

Dad put his papers down and stood up. “Barbara, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I don’t like being called Sir, except by those I am supervising, and those I don’t like. You don’t seem to fit in either category. I would appreciate it if you would call me dad.”

My heart jumped back up into my throat again. “…dad…,” came out as a hoarse whisper.

Dad laughed and shook his head. “Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea? You make it sound like a dirty word. Think you could give me just a little more respect than that? After all, I am older than you.”

“Cough, cough…, I didn’t mean to dad…, I mean…, I didn’t mean to make it sound like I didn’t respect you, Sir.” Cowards die a thousand deaths, a hero only one. I was dying a thousand deaths. I wanted nothing more than to slink away and truly die.

He walked over and put his arm around my shoulder as he urged me to turn around and walk with him back to the kitchen. “There you go again with the Sir bit. You are a beautiful, well mannered, young lady. I can only imagine how proud your parents are of you. I know I’d be proud if you were my daughter.”

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry as I walked back into the kitchen with dad’s arm on my shoulder. Guess what dad, I am your daughter! I killed your son and took his place. Okay, Judy and Elliot killed your son and made me take his place. Don’t worry dad, I’ll get revenge for you. I’m going to kill Judy and Elliot for killing your son.

All of us sit down to fix our sandwiches when Elliot and Tug came into the kitchen. Elliot looked at his watch. “Coach wants us back at the court in thirty minutes.”

Judy looked up at Elliot and shrugged her shoulders. “What for?”

“Said he had some questions. When Coach says he wants something, you don’t ask why.” Elliot was slapping meat on bread so he could eat before we had to leave.

In a little more than ten minutes all of us were piled back into Elliot’s Mustang headed out of the driveway. It dawned on me we had left the football uniforms. “Elliot, the uniforms.”

“Coach wanted us not the uniforms.” Elliot checked for traffic before he pulled back up on the boulevard, headed back toward the high school.

I couldn’t imagine why Coach Barney would want Elliot and Tug to come back to the gym.

When the four of us walked into the gym I thought I had walked into a coach’s conference. The girls head coach, Mrs. Lilly Trander was sitting in the bleachers with her assistant, Coach Johnson. Coach Barney was there with his assistant, Mr. Benjamin Ackers. The baseball coach Mr. Irving Landers was also there.

Four high school girls were at the far end shooting baskets. I recognized all of them. They were going to be seniors and were first string players on the Lady Wildcats basketball team. Beverly Thomas stood six foot two. She was a guard and a fair shooter close to the basket. Linda Shaffer was six three and a decent shooter close to the basket. Jo was five eleven. Her numbers were erratic. She could be on fire one game and cold as ice the next. Sally Ann was six foot. She was a high percentage shooter inside the three point circle. Outside the circle, her numbers dropped to less than thirty percent.

Coach Barney pointed to our group as we walked into the gym. Mrs Trander picked up the whistle and blew it. The girls stopped shooting baskets. The basketballs spread out across the gym except for the one Sally Ann was holding.

Elliot leaned over and took my arm. “They want you to play with them.” He turned loose and walked over to the bleachers with Tug and Judy.

Naturally I followed him over. “What do you mean play with them? Elliot, those are seniors. I can’t play with those girls. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m five five. I’m outclassed, out sized, out of my league, and out of my mind.”

Elliot smirked as he nodded in agreement. “Well, you had the last one right. Give it a try and see what happens will you? Please Barbara?”

“Two players to a team.” Mrs. Trander yelled across the gym.

Sally Ann dropped the basketball and kicked it in my direction. “Offense, and Barbara is on my team.”

Jo headed for the bleachers to sit with Elliot and the others. “This oughta be good.”

Beverly looked over at Linda and laughed. “Like taking candy from a baby. Do we spot them fifty points now to keep from embarrassing them too much?”

I stepped up and put my toe under the basketball as it rolled up to me, kicking it up into my hands. “I am outta my ever loving mind.”

“Cute trick but it don’t score you any points doll face.” Beverly hollered across the gym.

“Bet you can’t do that trick.” Jo hollered from the sidelines where she was sitting.

“Tricks don’t put points on the scoreboard. Tell Miss Barbie Doll she is holding a basketball and it has to go through the hoop to score points.” Beverly volleyed back, in her best sarcastic voice.

Sally Ann walked up beside me. “We are offense, Miss Mouth and friend are defense. How do you want to do this?”

“You tell me. I’m not a basketball player.” I held the basketball out to Sally Ann.

“You going to let Miss Mouth get away without making her eat her words?” Sally Ann refused to accept the ball.

“They’re just words. Okay, they like to guard close into the backboard. We take it to them and put two points on the board before they figure out what happened.” I bounced the ball a couple times and bounced a pass to Sally Ann.

“That’s a plan.” Sally Ann started dribbling the ball and walked toward the two girls. I headed out across the court to the opposite side of Sally Ann. Beverly and Linda would hold their positions, thinking we would try and work in close for a shot.

Sally Ann did work in close. When Linda moved out to block her, Sally Ann shot the ball to me. I didn’t even bounce it as I caught it and sent it up and over Beverly, who had yet to move into a blocking position. Two points went up on the scoreboard as the ball hit nothing but net.

“Pure luck Miss Barbie Doll, I can promise it won’t be that easy a second time.” Beverly caught the ball and tossed it back in my direction.

Sally Ann and I took it back out past the half court line. I tossed it back into her. She started moving toward the basket. I stayed off to her left by about four feet. Beverly and Linda knew this was too easy. Sally Ann and I were an easy block as the girls moved out a couple steps to block us. Sally Ann made a line drive throw in my direction and I sent it straight for the basket. It clipped the rim and went in. Two more points went up on the scoreboard.

Beverly and Linda were looking more confused than serious. Beverly was glaring at me. “I’ll give you this much Little Miss Barbie Doll, you seem to be able to shoot when the pressure isn’t on. Don’t expect a free ride from now on. I got your number, wench.”

“You do? Darn, I thought it was unlisted.” I shot back, as Sally Ann and I headed for the half court line.

Sally Ann stepped across the half court line, turned and passed the ball into me. I started dribbling toward the basket in a slow walk as Sally Ann passed me and closed in on the backboard. Linda must have thought we were going to close in and shoot before they had a chance to set up a defense. She backpedaled to keep up with Sally Ann, who stopped and spun around before Linda could catch back up. I shot the basketball to Sally Ann. Linda was coming back to block the shot. Sally Ann sidestepped and faked a pump to the basket. Linda jumped to block the shot.

I darn near laughed as Linda and Beverly weren’t jumpers by any imagination. Getting air past one foot above the floor wasn’t in their game. One game I saw Sally Ann spring four feet up and pump a shot. When Linda was coming back down, Sally Ann was going up. I don’t know if she cleared four feet or not, but she was on oxygen when she hit altitude. The ball lazily drifted into the basket, rolling around the rim before it fell through. Six points were on the scoreboard.

“Okay wenches, we are through playing kids games. Gloves are off, and you bitches are though making points.” Beverly was using the oldest trick in the book. Get the opposing team mad and they start making mistakes.

“Bitches huh? I’m surprised it took you this long to recognize a girl when you are looking at one. I guess a late compliment from the gay crowd is better than none.” I hollered back as Sally Ann and I started back to half court again.

Sally Ann’s eyes got as big as saucers as her head snapped around to stare at me. “Barbara, be careful. Beverly and Linda get mean and rough when they get mad. They will run over you to hurt you, even if it draws a penalty.”

“Good. Let them get mad. If they are mad they have already lost the game.” I stepped across the half court line and tossed the ball back to Sally Ann.

Linda and Beverly came out to meet us this time. They weren’t laying back waiting for us to close in past the three point circle. Sally Ann headed off to her right with the basketball. I stayed about four feet to her left. Beverly and Linda made the mistake of giving me too much space, while trying to close in on Sally Ann. Sally Ann shot the ball in my direction, I caught it and jump pushed it toward the basket before Beverly could take up a defensive position. She held out her arm and made the effort, but it was too little too late. Three more points went up on the scoreboard.

“Don’t try it again Little Miss Bitch. It won’t work.” Beverly tossed at me as I turned to walk back to center court.

Obviously I had gone from Little Miss Barbie Doll to Little Miss Bitch. I was feeling testy. “Take up basket weaving sweety. It’s obvious basketball isn’t your game.”

“YOU ARE HISTORY BITCH! I’M GOING TO MAKE YOU EAT THAT BALL!” Rattled around the gym.

I accomplished on Beverly what she had been trying to do to me. She had lost her cool. Now she would be making gross errors in judgment trying to punish me instead of blocking me. I tossed the ball into Sally Ann. She was taking it to the basket when Linda came charging out. Beverly was charging in my direction. The girls were determined to shut us down. Sally Ann pumped a fake. Linda didn’t buy it. She knew Sally Ann wasn’t that good past the three point circle. I faked left and Beverly changed course to intercept me. The problem with big girls is they need a lot of time to change directions. I was at a full run headed across the gym toward Sally Ann as she shot a line drive into my hands. Beverly was too far behind me to catch up as I drove toward the basket. Linda moved to block, but she was too far away to be effective. I pumped an easy shot from a couple feet out. With my momentum the ball would hit the backboard and bounce back into the net.

What I didn’t expect was Beverly who had closed in behind me. When the ball left my hands, Beverly reached to block it. She managed to get enough of a piece of it to make it miss the center of the backboard. It hit the edge and fell to the floor. Beverly could have stopped. She didn’t as she drove me into the wall at the back of the gym. All hundred and sixty nine pounds of her.

I was road kill as I threw my hands up to keep my face from plowing into the wall. It may have been padded, but it was a wall never the less. As I crashed into the wall with Beverly on my back, things turned gray. I heard a whistle.

“Sorry Coach, I couldn’t stop.” Beverly backed off me.

Sally Ann was there as she held me up. “Barbara, you okay?”

“I’m okay. Did you get the license plate number of that truck?” My world was finally coming back into focus.

“You did that on purpose.” Sally Ann turned her wrath toward Beverly.

“I swear it was an accident. My feet got caught up and I tripped.” Beverly was trying her best to look ashamed. It wasn’t working as her mouth was smiling and her eyes were dancing with delight.

I caught Sally Ann by the arm. “Don’t let it get to you. Let’s get even by putting another few points up on the board.”

“You’re finished Bitch. No more points.” Beverly hissed so no one, besides Sally Ann and I, could hear.

I felt Sally Ann stiffen. “Let it go. Points, punish them where it really hurts. Points. Nothing else hurts nearly as bad.”

She relaxed as she looked into my eyes. “You’re not only pretty, but you’re smart. And you’re right. Let’s hurt her.”

I did a high five with Sally Ann as we headed back toward half court. “That’s the idea.”

I stepped across the half court and passed it in to Sally Ann. She took off at a dead run, headed straight for the basket and Beverly and Linda set up a double team block. This was their kind of basketball where they subdued the opposite team with brute size. I was right behind Sally Ann. Two feet from the girls Sally Ann passed the ball behind her back to me. Beverly and Linda were out of position to block me as Sally Ann was in between us. I sent it home. Three more points went up on the scoreboard.

I gave Beverly my sincerest smile. “How’s that Sugar?”

“Up yours.” Beverly shot back with venom.

I give Sally Ann another high five. I knew it would be getting under Beverly’s skin every time now. The sweeter I was to her, the madder she would get.

Beverly and Linda followed us out to the half court. They were going to take this one on one and shut us down. Sally Ann stepped across the half court. I headed across the court with Beverly right on my back. I faked in. She didn’t buy it this time as she stayed with me. The next step I spun and shot past her going back toward Sally Ann. Sally Ann tossed me the ball. I headed toward the basket with Beverly two steps behind. I didn’t try to fake her out, I just zig zagged and let it go. Beverly had too much body mass to keep up with my sharp turns and she fell behind. The ball was headed for net before she could catch up. I didn’t try and stop in front of her. I had learned my lesson. I was still at a full run as I zigged and charged toward the sidelines. Beverly plowed into the padding at the back wall.

I headed back toward the half court. Beverly was coming up breathing hard. She stopped and took up defense outside the three point circle. Sally Ann lobbed the ball up over Linda’s head. I caught it, turned, and took my shot, twelve feet out from Beverly and the three point circle.

Beverly turned as the ball sailed up over her head and watched in disbelief as it settled into the net. “NO WAY!”

Jo stood up in the bleachers and shouted across the court. “YES WAY! WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN?”

Beverly turned and looked at me with eyes questioning what they had just witnessed. “Do it again, Sweet Cheeks.”

The ball was passed back out to Sally Ann. Again she lobbed it up over Linda’s head who, by this time, was back peddling to try and block it. Beverly was charging from her position. I caught it, turned, and made the throw as I sidestepped out of the girls way. They barely missed crashing into each other as the ball passed through the net.

Beverly stopped and shook her head as she looked across the gym toward Mrs. Trander. “I can’t stop her. She’s too small. What am I supposed to be doing out here anyway?”

“Learning, Beverly. Watch and learn. Barbara, Coach Johnson said you could do that from half court. Care to show me?” Mrs Trander stood up as she answered Beverly.

“I’m not that good from half court.” My percentages went down to less than seventy percent from that distance.

“Let me see it anyway.” Mrs Trander wasn’t taking no for an answer.

“Me too.” Sally Ann rolled a ball across the gym floor in my direction.

I sighed as I caught it with my toe and tossed it up into my hands. I really wasn’t that good. I dribbled out past half court and took a mental picture of the ball going into the basket. I ran forward and launched it underhanded like a softball. I looked over at Elliot and shook my head. It wasn’t going in. It sailed up toward the ceiling and started down. Hitting the rim, it bounced six feet back up into the air before it sailed over the top of the backboard.

Another ball was rolling across the floor in my direction. I caught it and tossed it up before back peddling for distance. Again I ran forward and launched it. I turned and winked at Elliot as I headed toward him and the others. I was halfway there when the ball clipped the rim and shot through the net like a bullet. With the kind of energy needed to launch those balls, they either made an almost perfect basket, or they weren’t going in as they bounced off the rim.

“She couldn’t shoot like that if the teams were on the court. There would be too many girls and not enough room.” Beverly was positive what she was seeing wouldn’t work in a real game between teams.

Mrs. Trander looked in my direction and nodded. “Maybe, maybe not. The thing you aren’t seeing is the whole picture. Barbara is a threat to any opposing team who can’t contain her shots. Even if she isn’t personally putting points on the board, the other members of her team are able to get in and score because someone has to guard against letting Barbara get open.”

“She may be able to shoot but she’s too short to block. The other team would be able to run up the score.” Beverly knew short girls didn’t belong on the basketball court.

“So you are saying, the other team puts a girl up against Barbara and starts making points because Barbara is too short to effectively block the other girl? If your theory is right then the opposing team makes two points, Barbara goes down and makes three. It goes on until the end of the game. Who wins?”

Mrs. Trander was smiling. “Barbara, what is your grade point?”

I glanced at Elliot and looked down at my feet in embarrassment. “Four oh.” It was the only thing I was better at than Elliot. He carried a three point nine.

“What is your percentage from the free throw line?”

“Uh, about seventy percent, I guess.” I really didn’t care to explain my percentage.

“That’s a lie. She is a hundred percent. She never misses.” Elliot shot back at me.

Bless my big brother’s big mouth. I wanted to choke him. Actually I did miss from time to time, when I wasn’t paying attention.

Tug turned his head to look Elliot in the eyes to see if he was pulling a funny or was telling the truth. “She’s that good, really?”

Mrs. Trander shook her head as she studied me. “Barbara, can we talk you into transferring from your school to join the Wildcats? I promise you a place on the Lady Wildcats Team. With the uniform you are wearing it looks like to me you are already an honorary member of our cheerleaders.”

I glanced down at the name Toni embroidered on the left breast of my Wildcat cheerleader uniform. “Un…, thanks Coach. I’m going to stay where I’m at…, with the…, them…” I had forgot what school Judy told Jo I was from.

“She’s with the Dallas Mavericks, or Fighting Mavericks.” Sally Ann offered.

Oh thanks a lot Sally Ann. I’m still not transferring. I’m not really there am I? As much as I enjoyed this little game, I was wishing Elliot hadn’t brought me down here.

“I see. Okay, I hope you change your mind. Would you shoot a few more baskets for us?” Mrs. Trander glanced at the other coaches sitting behind her. They nodded in agreement.

Beverly moaned.

Mrs. Trander closed her eyes and shook her head. “Okay Beverly, I get the message. Jo, you want to see if you can block her?”

OH NO! Miss Greased Lightning. Jo was fast; I mean really really fast. She could turn on a dime and hand back a quarter in change. She not only had quick body movements, she had fast hands. It was a rare game when she didn’t steal the ball from the opposing team, usually three or four times every game. I wasn’t going to be able to out maneuver her or out run her. She could jump like a gazelle and run like a deer. She really could shove that ball back down into my face if I tried to shoot with her in front of me or in my back pocket. Think girl, think! My game plan was... I had none.

“I’ll try.” Jo stood up and bounced out onto the gym floor.

As she headed to the bench, Beverly looked in my direction and blew me a kiss. It was the kiss of death. Beverly knew I was toast. I had met my Waterloo. Her name was Jo.

Well guess what? I had no doubt Beverly was right! Jo was a grinder for anyone who went up against her. I wasn’t going to out psych her. Jo didn’t lose her cool. When she got mad she got faster. Call me Miss Hamburger and package me up now to spare me the shame and pain.

Sally Ann walked over and pulled me in to a huddle. “Jo is quick. Don’t think you can out maneuver her like you did Beverly. Her only fault is she is usually too fast to set her feet when trying to block a run. Don’t stop if she gets in front of you. Pull a foul and get your free shots.”

I shook my head. “Coach said I was a threat even if I wasn’t shooting. Right? I’ll pull her off and you make the shots. Linda favors her left when blocking. She is used to defending against right handed girls. It’s her weakness. I’ve watched you shoot. You do all right with either hand. Shoot with your left to get your baskets past Linda.”

Sally Ann turned loose and backed up to study me. “You figured all that out in the past thirty minutes?”

“Uh…, let’s see if we can’t get the ball into the basket.” I headed out to the half court line.

A ball came rolling out in my direction and I picked it up. Jo wasn’t crowding me. She knew I’d get the ball to Sally Ann. Jo wasn’t going to start her defense until the ball was in play. I passed it to Sally Ann and was at a full run before it left my hands, to get some space between Jo and me. It didn’t work. Jo was right with me step for step, making sure I didn’t get free to receive the ball from Sally Ann. I plowed to a stop, did a reverse and cut back across court. Jo was better than good. She probably hit the brakes faster than I did. She could certainly out run me. She was pacing me as I ran back past Linda and Sally Ann. It only worked because Jo had to make a swerve out to get around Linda. Sally Ann shot me the ball. I made a jump into the air to shoot. I knew it was coming but really didn’t believe it when Jo was up in the air with her hands out, making sure that, as that ball left my hands, it was going to end up in her hands.

I let the ball fly not where Jo was expecting, but back down for a bounce behind Linda’s back. Sally Ann was headed that direction. She caught it, ran up to the basket, and passed it in.

Jo was grinning as we walked back to the half court line. “That was smart. I like that.”

“Don’t expect it do it again, right?” Unlike Beverly, Jo didn’t let the other girl outfox her twice. She was one tough cookie and super smart to go along with it. It was a triple whammy, fast, smart, tough. A team didn’t need more than a couple girls like Jo to win their games.

Again I passed the ball in to Sally Ann. She was working hard to get close enough to the basket to take a shot as I zig zagged across the court, trying to lose Jo. I passed by Sally Ann headed toward the basket and she shot me the ball. Jo was closing in on my right. She reached out to steal the ball. I had watched too many of her games and knew what she was going to do. I braked left. Jo went by me and was instantly in my face. I made a jump to pump the ball into the basket. Jo went up with me. I shot the ball back down between my legs to Sally Ann who was behind me.

Sally Ann should have jumped and shot. Her problem was she wanted those two points too badly. She tried to close in on the basket to lower her percentages of error. Linda might have been left behind but Jo was in front. When Sally Ann finally decided to try it was too late. She went up, Jo went up with her. I figured both girls needed oxygen in the rare atmosphere they were breathing up there. Both of them were half deer.

Sally Ann pushed the ball toward the basket, Jo had both hands on it and came down with it in her arms. There was no doubt if we had been playing a real game Jo would be down at the other end in less than a heart beat and make two points for the Lady Wildcats.

Jo handed the ball over to me. “Two points for our side.”

“I know. I wish I could jump like you and Sally Ann.” I really did wish I could jump like those girls.

Jo walked beside me back out to the half court line. “I wish I could shoot half as good as you do. Each of us has our good points and our bad points. I’d take shooting over jumping any day, if I had a choice.”

She backed up to give me some space. “Come on girl let’s play ball.”

We did play ball for another ten minutes. Sally Ann and I only gained six more points. The only points I made were when I faked Jo out, up close to the basket. I was dribbling the ball pushing in hard, Jo was back peddling as she didn’t have a chance to set her feet and block without pulling a foul. I instantly started back peddling and took my shot as I gained a little space from her. Jo took flight to drag it down but it wasn’t to be. She could jump, but not quite that high.

Jo gave me a wink and a smile as the ball settled through the hoop. “Good shot!”

“Lucky shot you mean.” A compliment from Jo was as good as winning a medal. The girl was a super tough competitor.

Mrs. Trander blew her whistle. “That’s it. Ladies, it was a great exhibition. Miss Peck, I hope you will consider a transfer.”

“Thank you Coach. I don’t think so. It was kind of you to offer.” I was positive Barbara Peck wasn’t transferring from the Mavericks to the Wildcats. There was no way the Mavericks would ever find a transcript or a transfer for Barbara Peck, since I was the girl who wasn’t in their system. She was going to be a girl who never was from anywhere after Judy and Elliot decided they had their fun.

Jo held out her hand for a handshake. “Barbara, I wouldn’t want to play against you, except for fun. Give that transfer some serious thought. You’re already signed up for the cheerleaders.

I shook her hand as I wondered what she meant by I was signed up for the cheerleaders? “Thanks.”

I knew what a full court press was. Every year since his seventh grade, several of the coaches from surrounding schools tried to get Elliot to transfer to their particular school. I had no idea what Coach Johnson told these other coaches he had seen over at the Pro Gym, to make them want to see me shoot a few baskets. I might have been tempted to try out for the Lady Wildcats, except I wasn’t one. I was glad to be leaving this behind us as I walked out of the gym with Elliot, Tug, and Judy.

Chapter 7 will follow in a few days. Please don't forget to comment on the story, and kudo the author. This is a massive 80,000 word novel. Thank you, from the author and the editor.

up
352 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like it

It has been different but very well written. There are some doubts as to the whole idea behind the ordeal, but I guess it will be revealed later. Keep it up

the steamroller rolls on

I really hope that Barbra doesn't end up getting squashed ...

DogSig.png

Interesting and entertaining so far...

Patrick Malloy's picture

I just wonder when Buddy is going to realize that Barbara is here to stay. I can't wait to find out what Elliot and Judy have planned for B/B next.

Patrick Malloy

Barbara is clueless

about herself and about those who love her. Things are coming together nicely and I expect Barbara will soon be experiencing a revelation. Thank you, Barbie, for this enjoyable story!

SuZie

Still gripping . But isn't Barbara too good sometimes?

So, Barbara looks good as a girl, which for a teenage boy is quite likely. Then he, sorry, she learns to dance for the prom and outshines every one else. Then she shows herself to be an excellent cheerleader and basketball player. She does seem to be good at everything.

I know! It's only a story. And a fine well written one too. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I can't wait for next part.

Everyone is good at some "things"

BarbieLee's picture

Barbara isn't good at dancing. She is good at following someone's lead and reading their intent. Every dance she had a partner leading her movements and steps. I didn't ask her but put her on the floor by herself and see if she can dance?

Same with cheer leading. Barbara is a mimic. She's following others through the motions.

And then we come to basketball. Yes, here she is above average, in getting the ball into the basket. Let's ask Annie Oakley if she was good at steer wrestling. No? People who excel in one thing doesn't mean they are going to be good at everything. What makes a good shooter whether it's basketballs or a gun is hand eye coordination. It's an intangible gift inside the mind most don't have.

Many thanks for the review, you are most kind. Have fun with life. We don't have to be the best. All we need is to be the best that is inside us.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

ah, if only ...

it had been posted as one whole, I hate putting this down and waiting. Very enjoyable, and somewhat puzzling.

OK ...

Just reread (why does this word always look wrong) the present six chapters, now less puzzling, and just as enjoyable. In real life nowadays unwilling participation could be a concern but as this is fiction, nice story

Not Competitive

So, this chapter left me behind. I just don't do sports at all.

It almost seems like Barbara is a bit more accepting of her identity, and knowing the trope of a group like this, it stands to reason. This is a nice story and I suspect the end is obvious.

Gwen

Buddy's gone!!!

Pamreed's picture

Barbara is starting to have fun. As more people accept her as a girl she will
start to believe it is possible. I just wonder how she will react when the whole
scheme is revealed!! There must be some things from her past that she is blocking
from remembering. Otherwise why this whole plot!! I am looking forward to when
Barbara begins to accept herself. She will feel so much better!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Barbie are you sure I couldn't interest you in a friendly game of cards?

ROFL

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Doll, you smooth talking devil you. Are you sure we didn't meet in a previous life? I think I bought that "Do All Widget Gadget" off your wagon back in 1789 or...? Maybe it was back in 1242 when you sold me that breathable corset guaranteed to set any gentleman's heart aflutter. The only one I caused to flutter was the stable master.

Can't wait to see what you are going to talk me into next.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I'm hooked!

Great story. Can't wait for the next chapter. :-)

Basketful of awesome

Really enjoying this.

Thanks again

Okay... something is going on we don't know here

Barbara despite her protests is mostly having a good time. At least when she isn't thinking about it.

That those who KNOW she is really the younger brother INCLUDING her parents, are enthusiastic about her *transferring* from Dallas to this school is VERY important.

If she is really a male no way could they hide that in competitive interscholastic sports.

The locker room, the necessary doctor exams, drug testing at higher levels.

No way, even in fiction could such a masquerade endure for long.

I keep thinking he is intersex or even really a female except for what appears to be a penis. Do we have any evidence from our narrator IE the younger brother that he has ever successfully masturbated or um, other stuff guys do? Hum?

-- Grin --

Maybe it is just *wish fulfillment* at this is BC.

But the way the child’s body first developed ahead of her /his peers and now is lagging behind and the general body shape all suggest he is a she. Just that the more obvious signs of puberty, IE breasts and menstruation are not yet here ...but likely coming soon.

Along with her secondary sexual characteristics maybe a last growth spurt in height. Though she likely won't get much taller. One heck of an athletic girl but not impossible as the older girls were only a little better than her.

I can't think of her as a male with some kind of androgen insensitivity because she has been treated as a boy all her life so outwardly as an infant and until of late she has appeared to be male.

Otherwise this story does not make sense IMHO.

I keep thinking back to the brother.

Unless abducted by aliens and he is now an evil alien clone why the 180 degree shift in how he treats his younger brother?

And the parents CAN'T be that clueless not to realize Barbara is the boy in *drag*.

I could be wrong.

But then our authoress is damned good and may have a few surprises in store.

BTW any more Jessica rabbit in the works?

Was rereading it recently and WOW!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Let you in on a little secret

BarbieLee's picture

John,
Not a clue when or where the stories will come or where they come from. I have "pushed" a story beginning and the script flowed from there to the end. That happened only twice with the two Jessica stories following the original. The forth Jessica script I tried to push looks and reads like a car with no wheels. Not going anywhere and totally useless. Every time I come back and try to clean it up it gets worse. Personally I wouldn't want to read it if it was the only file in the library.

You'll know if Jessica wants to come back and play when I do.

On another front. Love your review. Many thanks. Almost A Girl was finished before Cathy ever started posting chapters. For better or worse it is like a missile, once it is released it travels to the end.

Have fun with life.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

wow

Barbara is now entrapping herself into being a full time girl just as Judy & Elliot and some possible others are doing. There appears to be more co conspirators involved than meets the eye here. I wonder what is in Buddy's/Barbara's future? Thank you Barbie Lee for such an enthralling story, I would love to see more of your work soon....your adoring fan Cinnamon

Buddy

He’s pretty dense sne is here to stay.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna