Almost A Girl Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Elliot drove back to the Country Club. Country Clubs are the upper class clubs for people who like to golf, play tennis, or lounge around the indoor or outdoor pool. It was also where one could see the change in human maturity as people aged. With Elliot and me talking about those who went to the country club, I figured out a year earlier. The men usually grew fat, and bald from too many beers, martinis and rich foods. They liked their wives or girlfriends young, slim, trim, and beautiful. They displayed their wives and girlfriends the same way they would any trophy. Those old men could do all that because they had money, sometimes lots of money.

Mom and dad were in the early stages of the Country Club set. From the bits and pieces of conversation I overheard, I don’t think they thought very much of the crowd that went there. However when one is in business, like mom and dad, one doesn’t let the little things like snobbish people get in the way of socializing with the movers and shakers of the community. So, the same as Judy’s parents, they went to meet and make business deals which would never happen if they didn’t make the social route.

After parking, Elliot gathered Judy and me in each arm and headed for the club.

“Why are we here?” I wasn’t hesitant. I was glad we stopped. I was willing to show off what Judy had done to me. Whether the Lady Barbara Peck’s driver’s license made the difference, and why I was accepting I was her, was a matter of debate. One thing for sure, I had turned into a ham.

Men and women were turning to look at the fresh young things walking into their social atmosphere. They recognized Elliot right away. Judy was a fox second to none for most of her life. With her 'gosh gee dress' and 'wow' makeup, she was still Judy, just with a whole lot more pizazz. Needless to say, everyone recognized her immediately.

“Mom asked me to bring you ladies by after the trip to Vergus.” He opened the door to the Country Club.

“Mom’s here? Oh joy, be still my foolish heart. I can’t keep fooling her forever.” I was positive if I got close to mom too many times a light was going to come on and she would connect the dots.

Judy giggled. “Miss Peck, have you forgotten the young lady you were looking at in the mirror this morning? I can say without a doubt, if your mom didn’t know then, there would be an even smaller chance now.”

“Uh…,” I was running that back and forth though my mind. Something about that statement seemed contradictory.

Judy reached out and grabbed my hand. “Ladies freshen up after road trips. Come on and let’s make sure our makeup is still in place.”

“Uh…,” Seemed to be my favorite response. I was sure it would mean another trip to the ladies bathroom. Or was that the powder room? Ladies of refinement don’t call them bathrooms. They say, 'I need to make a trip to the powder room.' It didn’t make any difference. My kidneys were screaming for relief after sitting in Elliot’s Mustang most of the morning. I was positive the men would welcome me into the men’s restroom with open arms. NOT!

Only a couple women were in the powder room when Judy and I walked in. We completed the necessities and, with Judy’s expert guidance, I managed to reapply my makeup so it looked fresh. When Judy and I exited the powder room, heads turned. I didn’t mind the attention. I figured Judy was the star attraction and I was the side dish. It wasn’t me everyone was watching.

Elliot met us in the lobby before the guys circling could close in. Judy and I were saved from the sharks in the club. For the moment anyway, I thought.

“Hello Elliot, Judy, you must introduce me.” Came from behind me.

I didn’t turn around to look. He walked around in front of us. His name escaped me, but I recognized the face. He graduated the year before from Clawson High. He wasn’t a real athlete by any stretch of the imagination. He went out for baseball and warmed the bench. He went out for football and warmed the bench. The only reason he was accepted into any team was his father was a big contributor to school athletics. Thus the kid was put on the roster as a player. I knew why. It looked impressive on the resume and years later, it would give him bragging rights as he claimed he was the star player for Clawson High the year he graduated. I also had no doubt that his father bought him a place on the team in whatever college he was attending at the moment.

He held out his hand in my direction. “Let me introduce myself. I’m Edward Thruston, the THIRD. And you are?”

He pronounced the third like a badge of nobility. The kid felt oily before I touched him. Hesitantly, I took his hand.

“Lady Barbara.” Judy spoke up before I could.

“Lady Barbara? An English title no doubt. A beautiful name for a beautiful lady. Where are you from, Lady Barbara?” He held onto my hand and gave me a smile.

“Lady Barbara is visiting from out of town. She is looking into investments to fill out her portfolio.” Judy added quickly.

A big ol toothy grin spread from ear to ear. “Oh? And may I inquire as to what kind of investments you are looking, Lady Barbara?”

With difficulty, I managed to pull my hand back out of his. “I’m sorry, I’m not at liberty to say at the moment.”

Judy glanced in my direction with her eyes sparkling and a slight nod of the head. “Please Lady Barbara, I think our party may be waiting on us.”

“Yes, of course. It’s been a…, pleasure meeting you…, Edward.” I wanted to wash my hands after shaking hands with him.

“I assure you the pleasure was all mine, Lady Barbara. May I call you later?” He was reaching inside his jacket for a pen.

“I’m sorry, I…, I…, ah…, full schedule and don’t have a moment to spare. Maybe next time.” I wanted to give him the phone number of the child pornography enforcement unit. If I had known it, I would have. I promised myself I’d be ready and have it next time I met this slime ball.

“If you tell me where you live I may stop by and see you sometime.” His smile spread from ear to ear. I was looking at nothing but teeth.

“Next time.” Judy reached out and took my hand, leading me away.

I leaned over and whispered in her right ear, as we put some distance between Edward the third and ourselves. “I feel dirty. Is this what girls go through?”

Judy nodded in agreement. “If we don’t have Elliot protecting us from the sharks swimming in the waters. Yes it is. You’ll learn in time how to handle them. I thought you did a great job your first time.”

Elliot led us out to the garden club where mom and dad were seated with Judy’s parents. There was also a man and a woman I didn’t recognize at their table. I didn’t remember mom and dad socializing with Judy’s parents this much before. I was wondering if there was something going on I didn’t know about?

Seated facing us as we approached, mom was the first one to notice us. She looked surprised before she smiled. “The kids are here.”

Miriam turned to look. A knowing look full of love and pride showed in her eyes as she nodded at Judy. “Honey, you look absolutely beautiful. Barbara, I think you are a living doll.”

The compliment warmed my heart and I liked it. I blushed from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. “Thank you Mrs. Mecham.”

Laugh lines spread across Miriam’s face. “Honey, when are you going to start calling me Miriam?”

Elliot pulled a chair back for Judy and then pulled another one out for me. He waited for me to be seated before he sat down. I glanced up at Elliot as I slid my hands under my legs to gather my skirt as I sit down. “Thank you Elliot.”

“You’re most welcome, Lady Barbara.”

“Lady Barbara?” Mom was studying me. “That means you passed and have your driver’s license?”

“Uh…?” I was trying to think how mom and dad could be in this with Elliot and Judy if she knew about the driving test?

“Judy passed also. She has her driver’s license.” Elliot reached over and took Judy’s hand.

“That’s great sweetheart.” Miriam offered to Judy.

“Congratulations Judy.” Mom offered.

“Thank you. I wouldn’t have passed that test if Lady Barbara hadn’t handed me a hint before I took the driving test. She told me to not back up after the parallel parking test. It seemed a natural thing to do, but it is an illegal maneuver. The instructor fails everyone who pulls that trick. Lady Barbara took the driving test first. She warned me on what not to do.” Judy turned and gave me a wink.

“You would have passed it. I know you wouldn’t back up to park it into the parking space again.” I was trying to not stare at the two strangers at the table, who seemed to have their attention focused on me.

Bill motioned with his left hand toward the two extra people on his left. “I guess introductions would be in order. This is Doctor William Hurst and his wife Doctor Wanda Hurst.”

Bill pointed in Judy’s direction. “The young lady in black is our daughter Judy.”

He pointed toward me. “The other young lady in red is Barbara Peck. The young gentleman is Elliot, Ethan and Sherry’s son.”

Smiling, the woman acknowledged us. “Judy nice to meet you. I must say you are a very beautiful young lady…,”

“Thank you.” Judy responded politely.

“Barbara, I think I like the usage of your name as Lady Barbara better. Most appropriate for such a beautiful elegant young lady.”

Embarrassed, I blushed from my head to my feet as I looked down and muttered, “Yes ma’am, thank you”.

“Elliot I know Ethan and Sherry are justly proud of you and Lady Barbara. You and your sister look really nice.”

That got my attention! My eyes shot up to look at mom. I thought I saw her eyes widen. I could have been mistaken, but it might have been my guilty imagination.

Mom laughed and smiled at me before she turned her attention toward Wanda. “Lady Barbara is Elliot’s cousin and visiting from Dallas.”

Wanda scrutinized me for a few seconds before she nodded in agreement. “It was an honest mistake. She has your eyes and facial features. I assumed she was your daughter.”

Oh poop! Could this situation get any worse? Why not just stand up and tell mom it’s her other child Buddy and he is all dressed up as a girl? If mom didn’t suspect before, Wanda telling Sherri I was her other child should do the trick.

Mom laughed as she gave me a knowing look. “She’s such a beautiful well mannered young lady. I’d be proud to have Lady Barbara as my daughter. I guess I’ll have to ask her parents if I can keep her.”

Hopefully I brought up a sincere happy smile on my face as I silently prayed. Okay God, you didn’t strike me dead in church, you can do it now and get me out of this mess. I was wishing I was any place besides sitting here.

“Those are such pretty earrings. Are they permanent? Oh they are aren’t they? I love yours and Judy’s earrings. Are Judy’s permanent?” Wanda turned her attention from me to Judy.

Judy giggled as she shook her head no. Her multi loop earrings sparkling in the light. “No, mine are posts, Lady Barbara’s are permanent mounts.”

Now my eyes snapped over to look Judy in the eyes to see if she was serious. It was impossible to tell as she glanced back in my direction her eyes dancing in delight. No, no way the earrings she put in my ears were permanent. Was there? Surely she wouldn’t dare? The acid churned up in my stomach.

Thankfully the conversation turned away from Judy and myself, as our parents and the other two adults started discussing television shows, lawn care, fishing trips, and other things adults normally discuss. It wasn’t that long before the waiter showed up and everyone ordered lunch. I took my cue from Judy and ordered a garden salad. It wasn’t only because I wasn’t hungry. I didn’t think a steak dinner with all the trimmings would fit, with me inside the dress I was wearing. It must be one of the reminders for girls to watch their figure. I was finding a lot of hints to watch what passed my lips the past few days.

After lunch, I would have been tickled pink if we'd headed to Judy’s house for a change into jeans and sneakers. Alas, it didn’t seem to be in Judy and Elliot’s plans. The whole group moved out to the tables next to the tennis courts. With the adults at one table and us at another, we found seats around a couple empty tables. It looked like it was going to be a long evening.

“How long do you plan on staying?” I whispered to Elliot, after he had seated Judy.

His eyes gleamed as he looked over in my direction. “It’s a social evening. One mustn’t rush these things.”

“Why not? You can’t tell me you are enjoying this place. What you and Judy are enjoying is my pain.”

“Social skills are learned Lady Barbara. Ladies don’t play video games or go fishing when they have a free evening. They go to social groups or clubs and learn the art of patience and conversation…,” He held up his hand when I started to butt in. “And they learn to not interrupt when another person is talking.”

Judy reached over and laid her hand on top of Elliot’s hand. “At social clubs we don’t slap someone on the back and yell about the last ball game. We make our view known, subtly and softly. I can say and do things around Elliot I wouldn’t do with other boys. He is my boyfriend and also my best friend. Best friends say and do things with each other they can’t with any other person in the whole world. Do you understand?”

I choked as I looked at Elliot. “Yes, I do understand. He’s my best friend too.”

I tried my, ‘you’re dead meat stare’ on Elliot. “Which is why it is gonna make it twice as hard when I have to kill you over this.”

Elliot shook his head. “The look loses something coming from a beautiful girl.”

In spite of myself I was blushing. I couldn’t face my brother as I looked down and whispered. “Elliot…,”

Wanda Hurst and her husband were seated at the other table where they could watch us without being too obvious. It would have been easy to miss it if my senses hadn’t been on high alert. I was noticing all the little things I wouldn’t have ever paid any attention to before. One of those little things was watching other people’s eyes. I had lots of practice on the football field, reading other players through their eyes and body language. I usually left it there..., usually. Because of what my brother and Judy had done to me I was back to watching people’s eyes, looking for potential problems before they arrived. Wanda and her husband were focused in on me most of the time, even though they may have been conversing with our parents at the other table.

A couple of young men walked up to our table. “Elliot, may we join you?”

'No, no a thousand times no.' I was thinking as I looked up. It was Roger Plughe and Sam Houss. They were a few years older than Elliot. I watched them play for Clawson before they went off to college, or wherever, after graduating from high school.

They pulled up a couple of chairs and sat down between Elliot and me, before Roger looked across the table and nodded at Judy. “Miss Mecham, Elliot, would you please introduce us?”

Elliot gave a slight acknowledgement toward Judy. “Roger Plughe, Sam Houss, this is Judy Mecham. Judy, this is Roger and Sam.”

“The other lady is Lady Barbara Peck. Lady Barbara, this is Roger and Sam”

Judy gave a slight smile. “Roger, Sam.”

I followed suit as I looked at the two young men. “Gentlemen.”

Roger looked at Judy and then me. “Judy, Lady Barbara.”

He turned his attention back to Elliot. “You still playing football?”

“I was last time I checked. What are you and Sam into?” Elliot was studying Sam, who was studying me.

“We are starting our junior year at A and M. Sam and I were outclassed on the football teams. Neither one of us is playing. We do some scouting for the coaches and were wondering if you had any plans for any particular college?” Roger turned his head to look at Sam and then he focused in on me.

Embarrassed, I turned toward Judy and away from their attention.

“Thinking about Texas U after this year, if I can wangle a scholarship.” Elliot looked at me and shook his head as he smiled. “She is pretty isn’t she? Did you want to talk about football or stare at Lady Barbara?”

Roger laughed and his eyes danced as he looked back at Elliot. “Were we that obvious? Well, we did have best of intentions when we asked to sit down. If Lady Barbara would consider a date, I would see if A and M would offer you a full ride on an athletic scholarship.”

Elliot’s eyes were gleaming as he looked at me. Oh no, a thousand times no. I’m not dating anyone. That’s asking too much. Ain’t happening in this lifetime. I slightly shook my head.

It was obvious that Roger didn’t miss the signal. “That’s plain enough.” He tapped Sam on the shoulder. “Come on Sam, we have been properly chastised for being too bold.”

As they rose from the table, Roger held out his hand toward Elliot. “I’m still going to see if A and M will offer you a full ride. Coach will want Sam and me to come down and scout you this fall when you’re playing again.”

Elliot stood up and shook hands with Roger. “I appreciate the help.”

Sam held out his hand in my direction. “Lady Barbara, I hope to see you again.”

I took his hand and gave a slight nod. There was no way I was going to encourage this kid to look me up.

“Lady Barbara.” Roger leaned across the table and took my hand.

Again I gave a slight nod. Encouraging these guys wasn’t going to happen in my lifetime. Little did they know Lady Barbara was not going to be around after a couple more days.

After the boys had walked out of hearing distance Judy shook her head. “That was cold. You could have told them you would think about it or something along those lines.”

“Are you outta your ever loving mind? If I went out with either one of them what do you think would happen? I can tell you what would happen, I’d end up dead in a ditch someplace if I was lucky.” I couldn’t believe Judy thought I should encourage them!

Her mouth curled up as she gave it some thought. “You don’t know that. They acted nice.”

“Jeeze Louise, Judy! They could be the nicest boys in the world. It wouldn’t stop them from killing me when they found out I’m not a gi…” I choked. Tears started leaking out of the corners of my eyes.

Judy reached across with a napkin in her hand. “Dab hon, don’t wipe, or you will smear your makeup.”

“Tha… anks.” I sniffed out as I dabbed at the tears. When I managed to control the water works I looked to see if anyone had been watching. Besides Elliot and Judy, Wanda Hurst and her husband were the only two who seemed to take an interest in my emotional flood. It embarrassed me as I averted my eyes and turned away.

It wasn’t only the boys who were making an effort to stop at our table and pass cordial greetings. Not everyone in that country club stopped, but it seemed like it. I never said so many ‘pleased to meet you’s all at once in my whole life. After introductions, the men usually turned their conversations toward Elliot, while their eyes gave Judy and me the once over several times over. The women would talk to Judy and me about up coming socials and parties, while passing compliments about our dresses, hair style and, much to my chagrin, almost every single one of the females wanted to examine my earrings.

After a couple hours of socializing Elliot finally decided it was time to go. He gave Judy a wink. “Think we made a debutante out of her yet?”

Judy’s eyes rolled in my direction and a smile crept across her face. “She’s still on training wheels, but she has the basics down. Lady Barbara didn’t make any major gaffes. Unless I’m mistaken, the whole darn club set wants to know more about her.”

“In their dreams. I’m the one time act. They missed this one and they aren’t going to ever see the second act.” I was positive that, once Elliot and Judy were through playing their game with me, no one would ever see Barbara again.

“We’ll see. What’s today? Monday? Have you forgotten that Lady Barbara is staying the week before she flies back to Dallas?” Elliot got a smug look on his face as he gave me his plans.

If we had been home I would have jumped him and cheerfully strangled him. “I haven’t forgotten. I was hoping you had.”

Elliot rolled his eyes in mock shock, looking over at Judy. “Well, I had promised cousin Barbara we would look after her this week and I guess I MUST hold up my end of the agreement.”

“Look, if it pains you THAT much, and I know it’s paining me, let’s call the whole thing off. Barbara will fly back to Dallas tonight.” Hoping against hope Elliot and Judy were going to let me go.

Elliot shook his head. “Oh, no, an agreement is an agreement. I’m not one to back out after I gave my word.”

I gave him my best ‘you’re dead meat’ stare. “You better never ever close your eyes again.”

Elliot got tickled and was laughing along with Judy, who had been watching too.

“We’re leaving.” Elliot told mom and dad as we walked by their table.

“Don’t stay out too late Elliot. Lady Barbara, it was awfully nice to meet you again. Come by the house tomorrow if you kids are out running around.” Mom turned around and was looking at me.

“I don’t want to bother you Mrs. Peck.” I was positive every time I got close to my mother that my chances of her knowing were going up exponentially. All it would take was the right familiar word or action and she would be positive who Barbara was.

“Nonsense, you’re such a delight to have around. Ethan agrees don’t you dear.” Sherry glanced over at my dad.

“Sure, stop by, we insist.” Dad responded.

“You’re too kind. It’s not up to me. It seems what I do depends on what Elliot and Judy have planned.” I gave Elliot a twitch of my nose, knowing I had told dad I was being held hostage without really telling. Elliot and I did it to each other all the time. It was tattling without really tattling.

Mom covered her mouth with her hand and then closed her eyes for a second. Was she giggling? Did she know what I had just done? Habits will betray me. I had better keep a check on them as long as I was Barbara.

“Come on Barbara, let’s go powder our noses before we get back in the car.” Judy reached out, took my hand, and was urging me to follow.

“K.” I was glad for the interruption as I turned and followed her to the ladies room.

Although I was hoping we were headed back to the house after our little potty break, we weren’t. I knew we weren’t headed home as soon as Elliot turned out of the parking lot and headed east. Our home was in the other direction. I guess Elliot and Judy thought the day was young. Heck if I had been me, instead of Barbara, I would have thought so too. I mean, it was getting close to four in the afternoon. When Elliot and I were together we usually started getting things done about this time. We usually mowed the lawn, trimmed the hedges, washed the car, or worked on some other project in the afternoons.

About ten miles and many side roads later, Elliot pulled into Chiggers.

I moaned. Chiggers was a western swing club. Supposedly below the radar of the general public. The problem with being an unknown club is, everyone talks about it. Consequently it was a favorite watering hole for everyone, young and old alike. Elliot had brought me there once before. “Elliot, you can’t be serious?

He slid out of the car after he parked. He held the door. “Come on. It won’t kill you.”

“No but I’ll make sure to leave your dead body behind.” I picked up my clutch and eased out of the car.

He walked around the car and held the door open for Judy. “Same old broken record. I’m beginning to think Barbara has a one track mind.”

Judy giggled as she stood up and walked around the car to where I was waiting. “Come on Barbara, it’s too early for there to be anyone here. Let’s go listen to the band for a couple hours.”

Elliot walked up, put his arms around Judy and me, and urged us toward the front door.

I was surprised when Judy and I weren’t charged admission, but Elliot was. I leaned over toward Judy as Elliot dug out ten dollars. “What’s that all about?”

“Ladies night, Barbara. Girls get in free on Monday nights.”

I shook my head. If they only knew they would haul all of us off to jail.

The place was unusually empty. I counted nine men and one woman in there besides us. The guys were looking Judy and me over, many times over. Probably trying to figure out how to lose Elliot and take his place. There were empty tables and chairs for the picking.

Elliot guided us up toward the front next to the stage as he glanced at his watch. “Too early for the band I guess? I thought they started at four? Oh well, they will be here shortly.” He pulled out a chair for Judy.

Before he could pull out a chair for me, I found my own. “Thanks anyway.”

“You should have let me do that cousin. It would have told the guys in here you were my property. As it is, you just told them you were stag.”

“You’re joking!” I couldn’t believe something so innocent as finding my own seat was telegraphing so much data.

“Nope, it’s one of the little things girls must learn when they grow up into big girls.” He leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.

I know my eyes turned into two egg whites! “What in the heck did you do that for!”

“Property claims, cousin. I unconfused a dozen minds as to whether you were spoken for or not.” He leaned over and wrapped his arms around Judy’s shoulder. “Mine, they are both mine, so don’t even think about taking one, guys.”

Shaking my head in disbelief I wondered how Elliot had figured out all the unspoken codes for men and women? “I need a stiff drink.”

“Dr. Pepper or Coke?” Elliot winked before he looked at Judy.

“Coke, something with a lot of caffeine in it.”

“Dr. Pepper for me.” Judy added her request.

“Two stiff drinks coming up.” Elliot was headed for the bar to get our drinks.

Two guys walked up to the table as soon as Elliot left. I don’t guess they knew the off limits signs my bother had posted before he left.

“Mind if we join you girls? Buy you a drink?” The one in the plaid shirt was smiling from ear to ear.

“Yes, we do mind, and no, you may not buy us a drink.” Judy was quick with a response.

“That’s not being very friendly.” The second one seemed to have his smile frozen on his face.

“Who said we wanted to be friends? Why don’t you and your buddy find a nice dark place by the door and wait for some girls who want to play your silly games?” Judy wasn’t smiling.

“Stuck up bitches!” The one in the plaid shirt shot back, before he and his friend turned and walked off.

I was shaking all over as Judy turned to look in my direction. She reached over and cupped my trembling hands in hers. “Barbara, what’s wrong?”

“I…,” I didn’t know how to tell her those guys scared me to death. What if they hadn’t taken no for an answer? What if Judy hadn’t been there to handle them? What if they had found out?

“Barbara listen, it’s okay. They were a couple jerks. You’ve run into jerks before. Don’t let them get to you.”

I shook my head no as my trembling subsided. “No, you’re wrong, I’ve never run into jerks before.”

Judy looked puzzled. “Yes you have. I’ve been there when Buddy was…”

“Buddy has run into jerks, not me.” I corrected her.

“Bu…, Oh, I see. Okay Barbara. It’s the same thing. Usually girls don’t slug the jerks, but if you feel the need then be my guest.” Judy smiled and gave me a knowing wink.

Thinking Judy had just told me it would be okay if I had stood up and called the guy outside for a slugfest got me tickled too. I shook my head again. “No, I might break a nail.”

Judy and I were both laughing as Elliot returned with the drinks. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing, private joke between girls.” Judy giggled, as she picked up her drink.

“I see.” Elliot looked over at me with a smirk on his face.

“I doubt that.” I retorted, as I gave him my best all knowing look.

“Hello Elliot, these the ladies?” Came from behind my shoulder.

“Calvin, the one on your right is Judy Mecham and the one on your left is Lady Barbara Peck.” Elliot was looking up and past me.

A hand came up past my right shoulder and dropped sheet music on the table. “Ladies, it doesn’t make any difference if you stay on tune or not. I appreciate you doing this on such short notice. June normally does backup, but she has laryngitis and Martha, who substitutes now and then, is out of town. Patricia is nursing a sick husband and she couldn't make it either. Let’s give it a go and see how it sounds, okay?”

I was watching as guys carrying guitars and fiddles filed past our table toward the stage before I turned my attention back to Elliot.

Elliot never said anything either as he was watching me.

Finally it got to be too much for me to stand. “Okay what was that guy talking about?”

“Calvin called this morning asking if Judy, or any of her friends, wanted to sing backup at Chiggers this evening. I volunteered you and Judy.”

“YOU WHAT? Are you outta your ever loving mind? You can’t believe I’m gonna get up in front of a bunch of people and act like I can sing.” I was positive Elliot had popped a cork. I knew Judy could sing. I had heard her on the occasional times she went to church with Elliot and me. I thought she had a prettier, more pure voice, than any of the people in the choir.

Elliot put his fingers to his mouth. “Shhhhhh. All you need to do is harmonize with Judy like the times you did when we were in church.”

It was obvious I wasn’t the only one who had been impressed by Judy’s abilities. “This is insane.”

“Judy, Lady Barbara, if you don’t mind, we’re ready.” Came from the speakers in the club as one of the men was adjusting the microphone by his mouth.

“Come on Barbara.” Judy shoved back her chair and was tugging on my arm as she picked the sheets up off the table.

“God is going to send me straight to hell for what I’m doing.” I rose out of my chair and followed Judy up on stage.
========
From the Editor: 2 chapters to go. Thank you to everyone who has read, commented or kudoed the story. Barbie and I really appreciate it. It has been a pleasure for me to work with Barbie on this tale and I hope we will work on many other stories in the future.

up
328 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for sharing and your hard work

This one came around quickly. I'm delighted and yet almost disappointed that I have missed out on the anticipation.

This is a wonderful story, and well told. Sadly it will soon all be over. Let's hope you leave it open for a sequel.

There have been multiple hints before and now that mom....

KNOWS who Lady Barbara really is.

BTW "Lady"?

Not a title but like Ladybird Johnson? Lady as a nickname? Or even a given name?

And now we learn Barbara's earrings, the "need a special tool that is not" yada-yada-yada are really PERMENENT posts designed to stay in long term. Even Judy is only pierced.

W.T.F.?!

And the "surprise" in the tavern at the end?

I have also noted that since Barbara's "transformation" n=more and more guys see her as the more attractive of the two. Yet Buddy/Barbara always thought Judy was the hottest girl in school.

Boys in drag CAN be attractive but stunningly so?

Another W.T.F here.

Elliot saying he MUST keep his word about being a good host to Barbara for the week or more she is in town is both loving and condescending at the same time.

Remember from Buddy's standpoint this whole masquerade was involuntary or at best Buddy was manipulated and was supposed to be JUST for the one school dance.

They keep extending Lady Barbara's stay and adding more female complications on top.

We are missing something here as is Buddy.

BTW her inner voice at the country club said she desperately needed to use the toilet. But she had to use the ladies and no one twitched it was a guy in the stall. And unless there was a lot of other noises guys sound different when they “go".

This whole scenario, the transformation, the extension of Barbara’s stay , the drivers license, the unofficial coming out as a debutant and now the band seem all planned well in advance.

But other than her discomfort/fears Barbara has moistly triumphed and had a good time.

Again I must wonder, a TG male ... could they fit in as well this fast? Even an androgynous one would be caught out by someone you would think?

But not a twitch regarding Buddy/Barbara.

My mysterious PM friend, your theory makes more and more sense.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

She is intersexed in some way.

I do not know of any medical or psychological practitioner that would let her get this old before confronting the issue. Is she AIS in some way? Oh, there are scores of conditions between male and female, "Let me count the ways".

That these issues were not properly treated in 1950 is well established. One would hope that in the 21st Century, this constellation of problems would begin to be handled more intelligently.

That Buddy would be so caught unaware lacks credibility.

Gwen

John great post, but you did

John great post, but you did not even bring up the two doctors who were watching her the whole time at the Country Club. What are their fields and what were they watching for?

Hum The TWO Doctors? WHO could they be

TwoDoctors.jpg

Not HIM?

Okay, shrinks... The kind who specialize in PTSD cases and who that could interfere with normal development as a child and person?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I don't know if my friend has PM'd you but her theory is making a do-do load of sense given what has happened to Barbara since.

John in Wauwatosa

No your friend hasn't, but I

No your friend hasn't, but I am starting to get a few ideas myself. I just wish Barbara/Buddy was a more reliable narrator because I feel there is something very important in the past that is being held back and I think this would make sense of everything. Yes, we know the parents are in on it, because a parent would know his/her child and the mother has made a few slips.

from one frying pan to the next?

I am surprised that only two chapters remain to wrap this up, I just see her life becoming more complicated and leaving many open lines to follow on with, not only does the plot thicken, I can no longer see the bottom of the plot.

Other than that, love the story, wish this was Paul Harvey narrating this, " Now here's the rest of the story " .

FRUSTRATION!

Jezzi Stewart's picture

I asked last chapter and didn't get an answer. Why are they trying to make Buddy not just a girl but an upper class British one at that? It doesn't sound like a Texas name like Lady Bird. Because Bird isn't a normal name, Lady Bird sounds like a whole name. But Barbara is a normal name so Lady Barbara sounds exactly like a title and a name. Yet neither Buddy or anyone else in the story has mentioned it; they are all just taking it for granted. I think Buddy would at least be thinking, "What's with this 'Lady' bit? What new humiliation are they planning?" or "Why do they want to make me British? What new humiliation are they planning?"

And why do they keep laughing at him when he expresses his fear or displeasure? That does seem sadistic; It's like they are trying to push him into doing something stupid and possibly hurtful.

As I said last time, I would like to see him just blow up, get really, really mad! What would they do if he did and then took off?

BE a lady!

Jezzi. You have always had my respect

both as a long time member of the community and as an author. You seem VERY put out by this whole story and I am wondering if you've forgotten that this is FICTION? It's an imaginary story, depicting the inspiration the author had to write it. Having said that, I see that you continue to read it despite your seeming distaste for the subject matter which leads me to believe that you at least appreciate the writing, if not the subject matter.

I have to wonder though. Do you react the same way to any story written by Vickie Tern, or Margaret Jeannete? Certainly they are two of the most prolific when it comes to femdom stories.

Jezzie, there is room in this genre for every perversion, kink and strange story that could possibly be written, I'm sure you acknowledge that fact. The prime tenet here is that, if one doesn't like a story, the simplest remedy is for them to not read it, don't you think? Tastes differ as widely as it is possible to differ and not every story is for everyone to like or even read.

Addressing one specific point here. You say you didn't get an answer to a particular point you asked about. Please understand that this is a huge story. over 80,000 words. If I'd posted it as one big chunk, it would have stressed the software of the site. It would also not have attracted the interest of so many readers as many have slow connections and to download such a large file would have taken an inordinate time. Additionally for one to sit and read such a large document in one sitting would be arduous for some folks. Added to that, when I ASKED about posting it all at once, the majority wanted it in chapters, including Erin.

So if you didn't get an answer there are two reasons. First is that all questions will be answered in the final chapters. The other reason is that the author simply didn't want to give you an answer as it would be a spoiler and would ruin the suspense the author intended to create.

Both Barbie and I have enjoyed and been gratified by the responses to this story. It has generated a huge number of reads, comments and kudoes, both pro and con. Speaking for Barbie, I as the editor of the story, thank everyone, including you and anyone else who has reacted negatively to the story, for taking the time to not only read, but to comment and speculate on the whys and wherefores of the actions of the characters and the direction of the plot. As they say in Hollywood, "ANY publicity is GOOD publicity."

Your answers will all come in the final two chapters as they should, since that is the reason for a story. Build tension and questions in the minds of the readers, and then answer them at the end. Oh, some stories will answer SOME questions as it progresses, but to give everything away too soon, ruins a story, I think. Even Clouseau knew that.

Thank you for sticking with the story Jezzi, despite your seeming distaste for the way things have unfolded for the protagonist. Your comments, and some others, have encouraged others to express things they might have ignored or glossed over and that has led to the immense numbers of comments and reads for the story. In the beginning I promised the readers a happy ending and I will say again, there IS a happy ending and all will become clear as the story winds down.

I am glad that we are fortunate enough to live in a country where everyone can express their feelings, both good and bad, about things, without fear that the "man" will slap us down, or worse.

Thanks for being out there Jezzie and thank you for your thoughts.

Hugs and respect,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Good story!

Really well constructed and very very enjoyable! I'd love to buy this for my Kindle (hint, hint).

The fudge?!

For people who are "educated" about this, Elliot and Judy seem dumb as a sack of bricks. They obviously dont' know the dangers of being trans, or for that matter what horrible things can happen if someone "finds out". Not only that but they are promoting rape culture, and silencing of women? He.. claimed them? Women are not property to be "claimed" we are living breathing human beings and OMG someone needs to call Elliot and practically all these guys out on their misogyny!

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Barbara's feeling are showing

Pamreed's picture

“Jeeze Louise, Judy! They could be the nicest boys in the world. It wouldn’t stop them from killing me when they found out I’m not a gi…” I choked. Tears started leaking out of the corners of my eyes. This was not about the threat but about her feelings about who she is!! I know been there done that!!

Hugs,
Pamela

I love love love this story

I'm no endocrinologist but there were a lot of hints that Buddy's development as a male wasn't going according to typical patterns. There were also photos of him dressed as a girl. These are foreshadowing, Then, he puts up only token, and often joking resistance to his feminization. His brother loves him deeply, pushes and even taunts him to ask a girl to prom. When Buddy refuses, an intricate plan kicks into action.

What do these clues tell me? That Buddy--despite understandable embarrassment, even fear at times--is blossoming into Barbara. He is willing to go to prom as a girl and try out for cheerleading. He is willing to get a driver's license and go to a country club as Lady Barbara. This scheme is very well planned and executed by the brother and girlfriend and ... Well, we'll see who else is involved in the next two chapters.

Ohhhhh Nooo

Valcyte's picture

Only two chapters to go.
How sad. I hope they are really, really long. So much fun!
Val

so

what will be the outcome, will Barbara remain as herself permenantly?....and will Buddy decide that being a girl is (1) more his thing or (2) figure out that life as a girl will give him/her greater rewards or what?....To me as time has been moving forward Buddy seems to be acting like a total girl, even his basketball shots were very girl, I wonder if he really noticed that but I tend to doubt him noticing yet. I wonder what he/she will decide to be, a girl or a boy