Dead Ringer (Part 3)

Printer-friendly version


Chapter Four

The sparring had begun. R00tkid posted an 'open letter' to the community - using a stronger encryption key - explaining that the whole 3V3 thing was a setup and the goons were setting a trap in their own clumsy way.

He urged everyone not to fall for it. As proof, he posted a vid of himself and Lady 3V3 together reading his statement, with the hi-rez surveillance vid and cable news running in background monitors as a timestamp. They both explained that she was safe and where she had always been, and that this was just a trap by the goons.

Then the discussion turned to whether they actually had a prisoner or had managed to synthesize the likeness of Lady 3V3 for their 'leaked' surveillance footage.

“I know these guys.” R00tkid posted “They're not that good.”

Everyone quickly agreed. Adding that no one was.

'Almost no one' thought R00tkid as Lady3V3 left his side and walked off camera. He discreetly terminated the overlay and concentrated on the remainder of the videoconference.

“OK. They can't fake this. But the REAL Lady 3V3 is still with R00tkid. So they must have someone. I wonder if she has any idea what's happening to her.”

“Doubtful.” R00tkid replied. “These guys don't explain themselves like a Bond villain.”

“So what do we do? She may not be Lady 3V3, but they still have her. And we have to save her. Anyway, she's really hot!” Everyone eagerly echoed their agreement on that.

“We do nothing for now. They won't hurt her. She's of no use to them damaged... she will just have to marinate until we come up with a plan. If we go off impulsively without a plan we're no better than they are. And we MUST be better – much better – if we want to succeed.” No one was happy to wait, but neither was anyone able to make a compelling argument for a better plan of action, so the troops gathered in wait.


Chapter Five

“What the hell is IN those shots you keep giving me?” I asked the guard as he dragged me out for another series of injections. He just shrugged. Curiosity was not in his job description. I imagine it would be considered a grave liability. “Well, could you ask? ...for me?” I really began to worry if they were some sort of psychotropic, because I was gradually feeling much edgier and raw. I had been able to tough out the first few days, but as time went on, I would find myself overwhelmed with despair and loneliness. I was becoming very emotionally fragile. I was never very emotional, but that had changed, and these were the most vivid, overwhelming emotions I'd experienced. I seriously thought the only way to escape my situation was to kill myself, but my captors took away every means to achieve even that goal. I was bereft and inconsolable. Which seemed to really please my captors. I knew they were constantly watching me on the security cameras. I wondered if anyone else was watching too.


Chapter Six

The live feed from the pen had become a permanent window in Aaron's display. SIMon's internal diagnostics were just as capable of monitoring the secure intranet as it was the public grid. They must have known that because they kept her in camera sight nearly all the time. He had no doubt she was not a clone of HIS Eve. She was not a sim. He was watching a flesh and blood human. And it caused him increasing distress to witness her emotional unraveling.

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OH NO the chapter was 2 way

OH NO the chapter was 2 way to short and way to brief.... Please, a little more the next one????

I agree. No more narrative McNuggets.

I had the brief, misguided idea as I was writing Dead Ringer, that posting fresh-baked little bits more often as I was developing the story, might be an interesting idea.

...Do I hear a "Fail Buzzer"? :-P

Please don't hold the tiny story morsel against me, It was an ill-conceived experiment.

I promise future installments will be much more ....substantial.

That said, it likely will increase the interval between installments. Unlike Rumspringa, I'm not too far ahead of the reader as to where the story is going. There are no chapters waiting on my desktop. Just a general idea in the back of my mind. This story is coming as quickly as I can coax it from the muse.

I have faith that the story will develop and sort itself out. But I'm as curious as anyone to actually find out HOW. :-)

K@

who will rescue her?

who's gonna be the shining knight?

DogSig.png

This is scarily believable …

For day after tomorrow spy games. Yes they're short, but if you can keep up the pace, I actually think it makes the delivery better in this case, more… 'Netish.

Also, love the handles.

Thanks for sharing, I want to see where you take this!

McNuggets are so hard to resist.

I feel like that annoying girl in the foodcourt handing out tiny treats on toothpicks whose only purpose is to drive you to the actual food stand. Only in this case there IS no food stand. Just the tiny tray of tongue teasers.

OMG, please forgive the diarrhealliteration... I just could NOT resist!

I promised I would stop posting short morsels.

But I would like to ...ammend that promise.

I have a bunch of small pieces ready to upload, but they are really jarring when thrown together. Perspectives jump around too much, and I think it makes them actually harder to digest all at once. SO....

I promise (amended) that if I DO post a tiny story sliver. It will be followed by another within a day ... two max. So folks can spend a minute or two daily or catch up weekly and just scroll through with the "Next Part" link.

I've tried reading what I have written so far in both manners, and I feel the steady stream of McNuggets works best. I hope others agree. Once a sizable chunk has been posted, people can try it both ways and decide for themselves.

I'm not saying there won't be longer pieces later in the story (I haven't written that far ahead), but for now, the "jump-cuts" seem to stand better individually (and frequently) consumed.

Enjoy your morsels and please place your used toothpicks in the receptacle. :-)

K@

I would be worried too.

Whatever is in those shots are very potent and may even be designed to make her fall apart 'on' camera. Hormones usually takes a little while longer to start to work. On the other hand these asses don't care one bit if she lives or dies. After all she's just bait. This does not look good.

Hugs
Grover