Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2402

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2402
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
Bike cover.jpg

“Let me get this straight, the dean is suspended by the council, Tom is now acting dean of the faculty of science, and you’re acting head of department of biological sciences, to wit, an acting professor.”

“That’s about it.” I confirmed.

“I’d have thought they only had acting professors in drama schools,” added my husband.

“Ha ha, very punny.”

“I thought it was quite good,” he defended.

“Yeah, well you would. Remember, self-adulation is no recommendation.”

“You cut me to the quick.”

“Wuss.”

“I don’t wish to sound too complaining but aren’t you supposed to be the gentle sex not casting nasturtiums at me for my gentleness?”

When in doubt or losing the argument, distract your opponent—which is what he was doing. “That doesn’t stop you being a wuss.”

“True,” he said, “was that ever in doubt? But as Mr Kipling said...”

“I make exceedingly good cakes,” I interrupted quoting a line from a cake advert.

“No, you clot, the other Mr Kipling, good old Rudyard, who if memory serves me right, said, ‘The female of the species is more deadly than the male.’”

“Depends on the species.”

“Cathy, he was being allegorical or something.”

“So, what about, ‘Each man kills the thing he loves,’” I riposted.

“There comes a tide in the affairs of man when taken at the flood...”

“Okay, a Kipling and a Shakespeare outdo an Oscar.”

“Is that it?” he complained.

“Okay, you asked for it, ‘I must down to the beach again to the lonely sea and sky, I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they’re dry.’”

“Very good, might create a spike in your popularity.”

“So, you’re as badly read as I am,” I conceded.

“That depends on what you haven’t read.”

“Most things from the Bible to Trainspotting.”

“I thought you knew your Bible pretty well.”

“That usually means I know it better than you.”

“I’m not denying that, who’s going to win the Tour?”

“Nibali, why?”

“Just wondered if he had a wife who was cleverer than he.”

“No idea.”

“Goodness there are things you don’t know.”

“What are you on about?”

“My uxorial encyclopaedia.”

“You’re mixing your cultures somewhat.”

“What d’you mean?”

“Well, uxor is Latin and encyclopaedia is a French misconstruction of Greek.”

“How on earth do you know that?”

“I—um, used to read the dictionary.” I felt a warm wave break over me and was glad the light was out so he couldn’t see me blushing.

“You used to read the dictionary?”

“Yeah, okay, I’m a self-confessed nerd.”

“No wonder you’re good at crosswords.”

“That means better than you, doesn’t it?”

“Okay, so you’re better than I am in most things. I admit it, type it up and I’ll sign it. I admit my geni-arse of a wife is better ’an me, besides I never out argue you do I? Mainly because you like to have the last word and anything I say in response is actually the start of a new argument.”

I lay perfectly still and quiet pretending to be asleep.

“Cathy—Cathy?”

I continued in feigning sleep.

“Cathy,” he hissed and I had to do controlled breathing to stop myself sniggering and giving the game away. “Oh sod it then.” I felt him turn over to go to sleep while I lay there celebrating my pyrrhic victory in silence. Half an hour later I was still awake and Simon was completely zonked. Serves me right I suppose.

I was still concerned about the council asking me to act up for Tom so he could hold the faculty together. I also heard that they’d offered it to him twenty years ago but he’d refused because he wanted to be directly involved in the development of young minds, he said it kept him young. In my case I was beginning to feel it might lead to premature ageing as I wondered if I’d bitten off far more than I could chew.

Of course that all depended upon how long the dean was suspended but further researches suggested it wasn’t just a random find or even a nasty informant dobbing him in, the arrests were purportedly about people sharing images on the internet. Looked at in that light it seemed far more serious and less likely to be a mistake such as happening on a site by accident.

I could still remember vividly the first time I called up a real porn site, it had all sorts of unsavoury images of men and women doing all sorts of sexual acts with each other in ways I’d never have considered physically possible. The Karma Sutra could learn a lot from some of these sites.

As if I’d been hit by an electric shock I was jolted back to reality, blushed and checked no one had seen me before I deleted the website and cleared my histories from the computer—only then did I feel safe. In reality, no one should have seen it or known it was there. I reflected on how I felt about witnessing such drivel and answer came back unequivocally—dirty. I felt soiled by it. I wondered if that was the reaction of other women, or just me. Reassuringly, they felt the same.

My mind went back to puzzling if the dean was a dirty old man and that led to my reconsidering Neal’s position. Could he really be responsible for Gloria’s death and was that the reason he lost the plot, or was he simply overwhelmed by his grief? Did he challenge the paternity of his own baby? If they remembered it happening throughout, then it’s pretty certain to have happened. However, one of the reasons memory is not accepted without confirmation is the existence of false memory syndrome and how easy it is for it to be planted unwittingly in the mind of susceptible individuals. Apparently a constant worry for therapists—however, I wasn’t one so it shouldn’t concern me—or should it?

Was it my responsibility to search for such things in my defence of my ex colleague, Neal. Was he now one of my staff or had his employment by us ceased on ill health grounds? Perhaps as well, had his questioning introduced a risk of police induced false memory; where they construct images in the mind of the accused and insist the person agree and sign the statement even if it was untrue. A form of bullying I suppose.

The more my sleepy mind wrestled with these conundrums the more confused it got eventually finding peace an hour or so later when sleep through exhaustion intervened.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Always love the banter between Cathy and Simon

and sometimes you solve problems in your sleep.

We've never gotten much of an idea of what Cathy's colleagues in the department think of her. I'm sure some will say she's a lucky girl who made her reputation with a dormouse down her shirt. I'd hope there are some who recognize her dedication to her job and research and respect her for it. Tom has the success of the department and college as a concern and wouldn't ask Cathy if he didn't trust her and think she's the right person for the job.

... and I was a nerd long before they invented the word

I'll admit it... I read encyclopedias when I was in elementary school. Especially when I was sick back in the days when measles, mumps, or chicken pox got you two weeks of isolation at home. (before the vaccines)

So was I

Angharad's picture

we had a copy of Arthur Mee's Children's encyclopaedia, which I loved reading even if I've since learned he made up much of it and it tended to show the British as the most enlightened and civilised race on earth. But then in those days people believed all sorts of fairy tales.

Angharad

Reading

I have been known for reading a dictionary or encyclopedia a time or two just to be reading something. That includes back when I was a child.

Encyclopedia reading

I can't be absolutely sure, but I was either nine or ten years old at the time (1975/6), I became bored about a week after school let out for the summer, and I spent a good part of the summer reading a fairly recent set of the Encyclopedia Britannica that my adoptive parents owned.

I wasn't sick or anything, just a rather intelligent youngster bored enough to read just about anything. LOL

If you've ever seen ...

... the carvings in the roof timbers of Hindu temples you'd realise where the Kama Sutra images originate. It wasn't until I examined the photographs of temples I took in Kathmandu more carefully than I examined the actual carvings that I appreciated ancient erotic art. It's not all down to the internet, you know :) The Nepalese several hundred years ago seemed to be considerably more flexible (and inventive) than I ever was!

I was also an inveterate encyclopaedia reader as a child. I learned French at breakfast using the HP sauce bottle which had both French and English text - "Cette sauce de haute qualite ..." LOL Anything with words was all grist to the mill. I just wish I'd retained more of that youthful enthusiasm into my current dotage.

Robi

Catherin and Simons exchanges.

I can not tell who is sharpening who. The roles tend to be exchangeable. Who is the stone and who is the tool. I love the exchange of wit filled play on words and deliberate puns.

I find it all Punny

Huggles Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

False memory.

Blanked memory is worse than false memory.

I sometimes wonder if there's more lurking in my head than I care to discover. Truth is I just don't know and really don't want to find out.

I compare it to hammering a nail or spike into a young tree. The tree grows on without any apparent disfigurement but woe betide the saw that endeavours to cut the tree. That's akin to the worried psychiatrists or therapists who happen upon dark secrets and open a can of worms!!!

And yes, porn does despoil the participants.

Good chapter Ang, very instructive.

bev_1.jpg

Memories are stories we tell ourselves…

Rhona McCloud's picture

…to make sense of today's experience. Make today a good one and in the process create a happy past; a bad one and PTSD rears its head.
Truth has little to do with either case and when busy, the past - time travel excepted - doesn't exist at all

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
"…sometimes trying to feel, and sometimes trying not to feel, that I was one of them…"
L. P. Hartley - The Go-Between

No real message, just thoughts sparked by previous comments

Rhona McCloud

Hopefully, if the Dean is in

Hopefully, if the Dean is in fact found to be guilty, he will get LOTS of time to ponder where he went wrong. Always love it when Cathy and Simon have their banter back and forth.

Reading encyclopedias and dictionaries

may be interesting, but I also enjoy the telephone directory. Not much of a plot, but a fantastic cast of characters

Yeah,

Angharad's picture

But their days are numbered!

Angharad

Like Cathy

I have read Chambers dictionary all the way through. Long vocabulary, short on plot.

Love Bev xx