Like Nobody Else

Printer-friendly version
image_6.jpg

I grew with no boundaries; no Constitution; no bill of rights beyond which not to stray. Instead a tangle of "Thou shalt nots" burgeoned in the nest I never called home pushing me out unfledged into a wider world.

Fields, ponds, streams and rivers all around invited me to play through long days and far into the evenings.
"Where have you been? We've had the police out looking for you!" With a welcome like that there was no reason to hurry back.

My legs grew strong and ventures bolder. Different music, different places and different people drew me further into a world which itself was changing and growing.
"Don't you let us hear you've got some girl pregnant!" Another sprouting of "Thou shalt nots" erupted for I had reached an age when new thoughts of how I might bring shame and cost onto the family grew in their fearful hearts.

No fear in my heart though. Girls abounded as they will around free spirits with comely features so we kissed and cuddled and made gentle love as friends will do. The boys watched sizing me up, a cat in their wolf pack they could see, but a cat lightning fast, with sharp claws and sharper mind they learnt to value but also fear.

Years passed during which whatever nobody had thought to ban with a "Thou shalt not" became a new opportunity to explore. Different jobs, different roles and different lifestyles I explored with a fervour now approaching desperation.

Until nothing, nothing, nothing… . Family and friends waited, waited and waited. The body moved and the mouth spoke but no longer probing and questioning the wider world. Instead protective of itself talking in circles weaving itself an ever hardening shell… . Until…

Doctor! - … found on the floor curled in a ball … take these… see this psychiatrist … see a specialist……your GP will prescribe … œstrogen …

Growing, growing, growing… Bursting!

"I have the Magna Carta"… "Nobody has thought to tell me 'thou shalt not show this"…

"I have very important news about me" I told my friend as we walked toward the shops.
"You're changing sex." she replied. "You'll need a new job and I know somebody who can help"
The world already knew! It had recognised what family and even I had never seen.

New job, smoothed skin, hair already long taken into new realms of flamboyance, new clothes to die for and…

"What's this? I never noticed him before!"…Surgery…

………… "I am woman! Hear me roar!"

image_8.jpg
up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So You Took the Challenge

Christina H's picture

Powerful stuff a really strong story, we all forget the rules that bind us throughout
our lives until we break free!

Careful you may start liking this writing stuff.

Christina

Leading me astray Christina?

Rhona McCloud's picture

An hour to write and four hours to rewrite! How on earth does Angharad do it?

At least I am learning a greater appreciation of the fiction writer's art

Rhona McCloud

Nice start to writing

Good to see new authors trying their hand at this. I generally like the meter, your writing flows nicely and the images are strong. I'm not sure if this was your intent, but the style changed drastically just as you started talking about the transition. For me, at least, that didn't work right - the strong imagery I enjoyed fell off, and what was a joyous celebration suddenly seemed dry and empty.

Please don't take this wrong - I enjoyed reading your poem, I just felt the end didn't work well for me. Hope to see more from you, and best of luck at it,

titania.jpg

Titania

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

There are more things in heaven and earth…

Rhona McCloud's picture

Thank you Titania, I tried to evoke a positive yet different sort of transition.
There are many tales of miserable childhoods followed by acceptance in a wider world which might be characterized by a caterpillar and butterfly comparison. A popular but less common variety is the nurturing childhood followed by a flowering which fits with an embryo growing in a shell until it hatches.
Neither of these fit my own experience and nature offers alternatives:- turtles have eggs but don't protect the hatchlings; coral spawns a first stage which travels far on ocean currents before settling down to build a reef… I've tried to capture something of these alternatives

Rhona McCloud

Hey

It's a story. It does not have to preserve rhythm. Her life changed; it's rhythm changed.

Very cool, I loved it.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Still Powerful Stuff

Christina H's picture

Increased and Improved, I personally love the change in tempo, the change from anger and angst
to some semblance of peace and serenity during and after transition really hit's home - with me
at least.

The realisation that you have finally reached the goal you were searching for

Christina

Yes yes, by all means ROAR!

Nice starter piece Rhona! And welcome to the Closet! Loving Hugs Talia

Story

Now that was a short story that spoke volumes.

Kevin

Miaow?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Our experiences are unique but I hope there are others who, while they didn't 'always know', can recognise something of themselves in this short story.

Rhona McCloud