You Chose the Wrong Store – Part 13

Printer-friendly version


You Chose the Wrong Store – Part 13



By Jessica C

Janelle wasn’t home yet before she was texting and talking to Lace as well as Cadence. Lace was excited about Jan’s news of her having a period while at camp. Janelle's not at all happy about the mess she had to deal with, how she felt or the problem of smelling fresh. Lace said, "They were things a girl learns to manage." But when Jan asked how, Lace said, “A girl just does.” “You’re no help,” Jan griped back!

Jan didn’t tell Lace about Bobby, though she and Cadence were talking about asking Steph to go shopping the next day. Either Bobby would go and window shop with them or Steph could go real shopping and they would help her. Cadence and Jan each had half of a grandma gift they were willing to spend on Stephanie. Stephanie also has a gift certificate from Hannah's Shoppe.

Cadence stopped talking at one point; having she finally fallen asleep on the way home from camp. Jan was determined to make it until her regular bedtime before she fell asleep. Cadence later apologizes, “I am sorry for kissing you, Janelle.”

“Do you mean you didn’t mean too or you don’t really like me,” Jan asked back? Jan knew she was being difficult, but felt that way she’d get an answer or they would have to talk about it sometime. “I thought we were to be best friends?”

“Yes,” Cadence replied, “I want to be best friends, but I didn’t plan to kiss you and I was afraid you might take it wrong.”

“It surprised me too,” admitted Janelle, “Joy says it sometimes happens between girls. She said it takes time to know what it means.”

Cadence had already been told by her parents, 'You aren’t going to be a lesbian and accidents like that weren’t going to be allowed.' "My Mom and Dad think that I am pretty young to be getting serious, and I shouldn’t be surprised if they try to make sure I don’t get emotionally or sexually involved with anyone. Though they know that is easier said than done."

I’m thinking, ‘Joyce and Mom understand both sides and encourage me to take time to figure out who I am.’

=^..^=

We have since gotten home; Faith and I unload all our clothes everything washing. We were going to hang out our sleeping bags to air out. I decided mine needed to be washed before it was suitable for hanging outdoors. Josh, who lives a few houses away came over and wants to follow Faith like a puppy dog. She’s amused as she does like him.

It was 7:30 in the evening when Mom answered the phone and told me Bobby was calling. I was ready to fall asleep but this was too exciting. I had no trouble staying awake. “Hi Bobby, how are you doing?”

It was Stephanie’s voice I heard, “I’m sorry, but I was hoping I could talk with you.”

“Yes, yes! I am glad you called; Mom just said it was Bobby.” Steph relaxed and was very happy we could talk.

“My Mommy and I aren’t sure about me being Steph full-time yet; I hope you’re not disappointed. My sister Angie said I should still go shopping and get some things that will be mine that I can wear. I was calling to see if maybe I could go with you and Cadence.”

“I am sure both Cadence and I would be excited to go shopping with you, however, you’re comfortable.”

Steph asked, “Do you think anyone will give me any problems if they recognize me?”

My sister Joy was standing close by and I was getting uncomfortable talking to Steph without seeing her. I asked him/her, “Would it be okay if Joyce and I came over to your house so we could talk?”

Stephanie needed to fix herself up, “Please give me until 8:15 so I’ll be presentable.” Angie had given Stephanie some of her old clothes. Stephanie had selected a cute combination from that to wear for our visit. There was a combination of awkwardness and finesse about her demeanor; I knew that feeling. I still feel it happens way all too often, four months and one thing I would be totally a girl.

Mrs. Mitchell left us to talk, but Angie was definitely been there as her ‘big sister’. We first talked about shopping and planned to go Wednesday when Angie was not scheduled to work. We agree to go to Mom’s store early and then to go to a mall some thirty miles away. It would limit the number of people we would meet. We did warn Stephanie that Rachel might be working at the store; she is from the same area of Central City where the Mitchells live.

I had worked Monday and Tuesday so I could have the day to be with Stephanie and Cadence as well as our sisters. Come early Wednesday, Mom was already at work. Cadence too has an older sister the same age as Joy. We would meet them, the Rawlings girls, at the shop and we would ride with Steph and Angie.

Steph looked fairly good when she came to our house except Angie allowed her to wear too much makeup. I was thankful that Joy and Faith were the ones to tell Steph and help her. Angie doesn’t wear makeup often so the problem was a bit understandable. Steph wanted Joy just to do her makeup. Sis insisted, "Steph, you need to learn if you're serious about being a girl."

While her purse was okay but it just had a few things to throw into it as well as well. It kind of looks like a discarded purse, so I used leather soap to clean the outside of it. Faith arranged the inside better adding a compact mirror, an extra comb, tissues, etc.

We were a bit late in getting to the dress shop but Steph looked all ‘girl’ with no trace of Bobby. Rachel knew Angie, and Stephanie was introduced as a cousin for now. Rachel enjoyed as Stephanie acted like a little girl in a candy store.

Rachel knows both fashion and the clothes in Mom’s store. When Steph liked a sundress that she looked just alright in; Rachel showed her another sundress. Its colors and the cut of the dress were very good for Stephanie. It would be her first store-bought dress just for her. I knew the elated feeling.

Mom wished they didn’t feel the need to buy more clothes at her shop but she was pretty sure their mother insisted on it. They didn’t spend their money unwisely and they were very happy with everything they bought. Mom was giving them an extra discount as well, though I'm not sure they noticed. When Stephanie picked a hip-hugging skirt, I realized for the first time her hips were already more like a regular girl.

Cadence and her sister Marcia were shopping as well as enjoying Stephanie. Marcia’s a jewelry junkie so it was no surprise when she spotted a pretty ring that she thought Stephanie needed it. She did choose well and since it was a gift from the Rawlings, Stephanie was extra glad to receive it.

=^..^=

We got to Otter Creek Mall in time to eat at the food court and give Stephanie her first taste at boy watching, as well as being watched. Wearing her new skirt that hugged her hips and legs; it was not lost on the boys when she dipped to pick up her wrapper. Steph insisted she was not interested in the boys watching her. If she believed what she said she would be in a group of one.

Angie insisted that her sister Stephanie be fitted for a bra at Victoria’s which could only mean she was already wearing breast forms. Things were going quite well when the salesgirl touched under Steph’s underarm as she measured her. Steph’s surprised laugh was unmistakably that of a boy. Tricia the salesgirl handled things quite well assuring Steph, “I am sorry, but please don’t be embarrassed. By the time you select which of these bras you would like to buy, the shoppers will have changed and no one will pick you out as being anything but the beautiful young woman I see.”

The salesgirl did ask if Stephanie had seen any panties she likes; she had gotten two of the panties and given them to Stephanie as a gift from the store. Angie was to go in and see her sister making sure the bra fit correctly. I was surprised but delighted when Angie insisted I go in instead.

We had a delightful time after that helping Stephanie to select other panties, pantyhose, and two more bras. Joy had the pleasure of setting Steph up with a cosmetician at the department store. She did get a few cosmetics and even more samples but even more help in knowing what looked good on her. The big benefit was to get a professional to help select Stephanie’s best colors and showing her how to apply her makeup.

The woman knew her stuff as well as being a good saleswoman. She picked out colors for Marcia and me that were better than what we were wearing. Needless to say, we also bought several cosmetic items. The cars were nicely stuffed, mostly with Stephanie's things.

Everyone met at our house and Mrs. Mitchell came over after she got off from work. We had Stephanie changed and ready to model her first outfit when our Moms arrived. Steph was modeling when Lacy came into the house unannounced as is her habit. “Wow don’t you look pretty, you must be Stephanie.” I slid down in my seat waiting for things to explode.

Steph impressed me, “I’m happy that you find me pretty. I guess we should have taken you shopping with us.” Stephanie looked straight at Lacy, “I don’t know if you recognize me but I’m Bobby Mitchell. I come into Johnny’s where you're the waitress.”

Lacy’s eyes opened wide as she looked and then gave Steph a hug, “I thought you were a sweet guy, but I didn’t think of it in these terms.”

“Janelle, what did Bobby… I mean Steph get caught doing was it at Mrs. Grant’s store too?” Bobby didn’t know much of my story. Everyone in my family laughed.

=^..^=

I heard Joy talking to Angie, “It will happen that people realize Stephanie is Bobby at inopportune times. Jan has told me it might be rougher for Steph since the transition is happening in the same neighborhood where he grew up.”

Angie said, “Well Bobby isn’t sure if he really wants to be Steph; he thinks he might decide to be just Bobby. And Mom and I think he will be content with the clothes and experience he got today.”

Joy said, “If he’s a cross-dresser that may be possible, but look at Steph and then tell me, is that your brother or your sister?” Joyce gave her a moment to really look. “I’m not sure if Bobby has a choice. After Jan started living as Janelle it became apparent to Jan and us much more of Janelle was inside her. It really isn’t a decision if he wanted to be a girl or not.”

Angie confessed, “Much of what I’ve read kind of says the same thing. I don’t mean to sound ignorant but you and others, as well as the professionals, are going to be very helpful to us.”

I don’t know if Mom’s discussion with Joan Mitchell is along the same line, but I can see Mrs. Mitchell is thanking Mom for something. It might just be the gift certificates and discounts, but I don’t think so.

=^..^=

It was a week later that the first incident happened. I was going over to Bobby’s, “Hey Ronnie Hammer, are you over to help that shrinking violet along?” I couldn’t remember the last time I was called a “Hammer”. ‘Stick’ and another punk, Jamison, cut me off. I had ridden my 18-speed bike over and they pulled in front of me with Stick’s car. I felt a bit vulnerable with neither Angie nor Mrs. Mitchell’s knowing Bobby and I were out front.

I am sure Bobby wished he could just turn around and go in the house or come over and defend me physically. Stick and Jamison are taller than us but not rugged nor tough guys by any definition. But there were two other guys at the end of the block and neither of us was sure if they were back-up or not. Definitely, they weren’t on our side.

I was off my bike making my way around the car when Stick put his car in reverse. It could have been worse but I let go of my bicycle and it was his second effort that knocked my bicycle down and damaged it. Jamison was out of the car coming back, “Hey, B**h what are you going to do about it?”

I had already snapped one picture with my phone. I suggested he look at the damage and when he did I got another picture with him and the license plate of the car. “Thanks, jerk.” When he straightened up and stepped toward me I was more than a bit scared, but I hid that with a snide remark.

The car running over the bike had gotten a few neighbors out to see what was happening. When Jamison slapped me across the face a woman yelled at him. Some man yelled, “What did they think would happen when they came out as they did. He’s just being a real guy.”

I had grabbed Jamison’s hand and returned his slap with a slap and a push back. Then there were sirens and Jamison jumped back into the car. They tried to drive away but a pedal of the bicycle was caught under the car.

The man, who had been negative toward us, actually spoke up for the guys. “Officer, I hope you aren’t going to come down on the boys and let these people dictate what becomes of our neighborhood.” The officer tapped his shoulder to activate his talking to a dispatcher. “Please send another officer here, thanks...” He gave the code numbers or whatever, stuff I don’t understand.

It was the first of several incidents. The good thing was the Mitchells and Bobby were well respected by most of their neighbors. Several neighbors saw Bobby as Steph as something they had expected for years. Two neighbors were vocally and visibly supportive. “Bobby’s always been sensitive and good,” one woman told me. “He stopped playing with his friends and became a loner. He wasn’t into the rough stuff the boys like and the girls liked him but when those his own age were blossoming and they went their own way.”

One of his neighbors actually sought me out at Mom’s shop and asked me. “I would kind of like Bobby or what’s her name stop and talk to me sometimes. I would like to see her if she wouldn’t mind.” She asked me, of Bobby’s name is Stephanie.

“It would be nice if you went over there sometime and ask her yourself. Maybe you could take something simple like some cookies, a scarf or something.”

She found a nice necklace in the store. “Do you think she would like this? She does have a delicate side if I’ve seen her right.”

I smiled, the woman had seen Steph right. “I did not mean for you to buy her something here.” She purchased the necklace and I wrapped it for her. “I think this will be something she likes. If she’s like me she will treasure it.”

She asked, “Is it true that you were Ronnie? I’ve researched a little about transgender girls and as it says, you are very different from the boy you were. It seems unusual I’ve gone over forty years not knowing one and two of you lived relatively close. I never expected I would be a friend, but now I am glad I am,” she said. I thanked her.

=^..^=

Cadence had warmed up to me as a friend again, “Dad said he was sorry that he got a little too protective. I guess one of his sisters my Aunt Meg spoke to him as well as my mom. I really like the friends we became at camp.”

Cadence and Lace were coming over for an overnight; we weren’t going to invite Steph until Regan from Camp called. She would be in town and when Cadence invited her she insisted Stephanie come too. She did not yet know that Bobby was becoming Steph more and more.”

It meant as far as Mom knew Steph wouldn’t be changing with us. It was a neat night. It took a very long time for Steph’s boy parts to get aroused for being around four other girls. But I remembered a similar occasion for me and when we were alone I suggested, “If you’re like me that might be another confirmation that Stephanie is really you.”

Steph agreed, “With the flack, I get for being girly I sometimes wish it weren’t true. Tonight more than makes up for it though.” If anything Steph was having more and more trouble with keeping Bobby’s voice and mannerisms when she changed back to Bobby.

Immersing Bobby as Steph was good. We went to the strip-mall nearby the next day Johnny saw me and wanted to go out that night. I insisted a number of guys come so the whole group could go out. We went bowling and a cousin of Johnny’s was kind of paired with Steph. Strange enough Martin changed with the cousin and he and Steph had a good time. While others went to their own home, Steph was staying at our house for the weekend. That allowed me to see Steph kiss her first boy as a date.

Joyce saw us come home and she giggled, “What is it about T-girls that attracts boys?”

Steph said, “It just happened. It doesn’t mean I like boys.”

Joy and then Mom giggle, “We’ve heard that before and we don’t believe it.” I giggled as I knew Steph wouldn’t change their minds.

Tonight, Mom had Steph stay in the guest room that was becoming my room and I slept back in with Joyce.

=^..^=

I hadn’t realized it but Joyce had spent two nights over at the college with Jamie and friends. When I asked what happened, Joyce set me straight. “It isn’t about sex, but being with other women that are smart and have more to them then estrogen and vaginas; part of the time was working on my summer project for the university.”

I guess I was supposed to ask about the other time. Joy smiled, “Jamie wanted me to meet someone who was a freshmyn last year. I think it’s more friendship than romance, but I really like her. Like me, she likes athletics almost as much as she likes learning. We didn’t get any more involved than sleeping together.”

I asked her about Rick. She said, “I hope we're still going to be friends, but this might be my last year in high school. I’m not even sure if I’ll get past the first half of the year. The hard part would be if I’ll go to a better university come a year from now. So things with Rick would be coming to an end anyway.”

=^..^=

“What would make you want to break your plans and leave the friends you wanted to stay and graduate with,” I asked?

She said, “You, you're daring to risk and stretch to know who you are for one! You have come in like a breath of fresh air. I had become complacent with a slower rate of growth. Adrienne touched my heart and I feel more like a young woman reaching to find my place among other women who are my peers.”

“It is not to put down the high school experience, I’ll miss that but it’s coming to an end, the way I see myself.”

“So how does Adrienne come into this,” I said. I was sure there was more.

“Well she’s only two years ahead of me in age; she’s very intelligent but I should be ahead of her. If I were to find myself in love with her; I would want to be in graduate school at the same time. I want to reach for my potential and not be in her or anyone’s shadow.”

I don’t fully understand Joy’s thinking as she often goes past my understanding. But it’s the joy on her face that causes me to be sure it is a healthy move in her life. I do like the fact she would probably be at the university here at least to the fall of next year.

=^..^=

Mom wakes me early for the summer, come Monday of the new week. “Let’s you and me go and get breakfast this morning.” Much of it was to listen and make sure she knew me and how I'm doing. Before breakfast, we walked along the river walk at a nearby park. I didn’t realize a national park and the awesome beauty of nature was so close.

“We will be going on vacation before school starts. Our family is close but it doesn’t just happen. I’m not sure how comfortable you are relaxing and just enjoying simple things.

Changing the subject she said, “Everything has been finalized and you can officially become a Grant next week.”

Mom is beginning to weep as she takes hold of me with a warm embrace. “Janelle, your journey has become like birthing my third daughter. Your period indicates your body is now fully that of a young woman…”

I’m quickly scared that Mrs. Grant is going to say, ‘I’m big enough I can be out on my own.’ “But I need a mom and a family to help me grow up. I’m scared ‘cause Joy’s going to focus more on college.”

“That’s why I wanted you and me to get away together. I know you’re older than Faith, but she grew up a girl. I won’t speak down to you or treat you like a little girl especially around others. However, I want you to be like a young girl to me where a daughter needs to talk to her mommy and a teen girl needs to confide in her mother.”

“Thanks, Mom, I was scared that you thought I was too big or getting to be too much trouble and I should be on my own.”

Mom embraced me, “I guess it’s going to take a while for you to understand and accept that you’re part of this family. You’re never going to stop being my daughter. You will become my adult daughter, but as you should be.” Mom kissed my forehead and cheeks; I guess it was her way of smothering me…

To be continued…

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Things are definitely coming together!

Stephanie's circle of friends and support is growing! Sure there will be minor setbacks along the way, but with her support network she'll do fine. Janelle still has some minor anxiety issues, but those to are dwindling with her officially becoming a Grant!
Jessie dear, I guess you'll be wrapping this one up soon too. It's been a lovely read hon. Loving Hugs Talia

Yes things are coming together...

Hopefully the focus continues on Janelle, but with a larger picture. Enjoy

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Ignorance abounds

Jamie Lee's picture

Those two boys prove ignorance abounds with gusto. Through their ignorance, or lack of being courteous, they believe Stephanie and Janelle are the same, TG. Unlike like Stephanie, Janelle was found to have the internal parts of a genetic woman, and has already experienced her period. Unless Bobby was misdiagnosed at birth like Ronnie was, he doesn't possess these organs or will experience a monthly period.

Still, regardless of either of the two girls genetic makeup, those two boys were way out of line assulting the girls. Especially the one who slapped Janelle. Instead of slapping the face of the boy who slapped her, she should have put him on the ground with a judicious shot to his groin. He was, after all, threatening her, was bigger, and slapped her. Had she groined him she would have been defending herself from a larger assailant. Another example where a deep mine shaft is needed.

Joy dropped a bomb by telling Janelle that she finds her an inspiration by her just wanting to be a better girl, being better than the Ronnie she had be designated. Janelle doesn't see herself as an inspiration or ray of sunshine as Joy has said. She's still fearful being a girl, still fearful of making mistakes and being lunched, and as she told Hannah, afraid she will be told she's old enough to live on her own and kicked out of her current home.

Hannah is a very wise woman, knowing when a mother daughter time with Janelle is necessary. Even though she has reinforced her love to Janelle, their love, Ronnie's past experiences still rise to the surface and cause fear to creep into Janelle's thoughts. It will take some time, and several mother daughter times, and maybe talks with a professional, to help Janelle put 13 years of Ronnie's fears to rest. But love will win out in the end.

Others have feelings too.