Eve - Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 13
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 

Eve has now officially removed Simon from her name. The troubles continue.

Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 13
 
 

Saturday morning my alarm didn't go off but that didn't matter as mum laid in as well. After a quick shower I pulled on a denim skirt and a pink top then headed down to breakfast. Mum had a frying pan out and suggested we had a cooked breakfast. I figured that, as I had no idea how the day would go, it was a good suggestion, although I wondered if my diet was out of the window.

Claire came into the kitchen and I looked puzzled.

"Your mum suggested I had breakfast with you before we went out."

"Oh, that sounds like a good idea but I still don't have any ideas for today."

"Don't worry, I have enough ideas for both of us. You need some training in girlhood."

We were both giggling when the plates of hot food arrived.

After a wash, and then doing my make-up, we all headed for the town in mum's car. Claire and I wanted to hold hands but weren't certain how that might be interpreted so we played safe. We discussed what had happened to us yesterday and tried to work out who knew about us.

"Claire, we haven't been seen together by anyone, have we?"

"I'm not sure. We did make out on the doorstep once, didn't we? I mean, did someone see us then?"

"I don't know either. I was too busy with you, my love."

Mum was some way ahead of us when we arrived in the pedestrian zone in the middle of town, heading for the small Marks & Spencer.There was a shout behind us.

"Hey, there's the dykes!"

We didn't need to look round to see who it was, the voice told us it was Dave Stevens. He repeated the shouting. We kept walking and tried to look like we weren't bothered but I was reaching for my mobile just in case. I started to panic a little, I had lost sight of mum and the toad was gaining on us.

We were just inside the door of the store when one of the staff stopped us and gestured to move us behind a window display, out of sight of the door.

"Ladies, Was he bothering you?"

"Yes."

"Do you know him?"

"He's Dave Stevens. We know he has just been suspended from school for harassment." said Claire. "Of us," I added.

"I know him, we've had problems with Mr Stevens previously. I've asked shopping centre security to have him removed."

Mum found us with the duty manager, as his badge identified him.

"What's up girls?"

"It was that Dave Stevens again."

"Where is he now?"

"Security have just taken him out of the precinct," answered the duty manager, looking out of the window. "If he comes back today we'll inform the Police. I hope you're alright now."

"Thank you. Mum, can we get moving?"

We walked first to the lingerie section. Mum picked up some more 34A bras but also a few sets in 34B. I looked confused but both Claire and mum just smiled. I gained a few more packs of knickers, in various colours and styles. The thongs looked as if they might be positively painful. We also picked up some simple nighties.

We then went through the sales racks looking, mum said, for some formal wear. Most of it was simply frumpy, designed for the over 30's - I couldn't imagine myself as old as that.

After M&S we dropped into a specialist lingerie shop. Mum asked the sales girl a question while Claire and I were looking at baby doll nighties and gowns, giggling as we discussed our first sleepover. I took the ones we'd selected to mum while the assistant produced a box from under the counter.

"These will help your daughter madam."

Mum paid and we left. I was beginning to wonder where the money came from. Mum was usually quite frugal. Claire was still giggling, she obviously knew more about that last store than I did.

"So, tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"What that was all about."

"Don't you know?"

"No."

"Oh dear, you really do need some girly training," she whispered.

We visited several more stores, mostly discount clothing, before landing on a chair at the Italian coffee house. Our bags hitting the floor.

"Good morning ladies, what would you like today?"

Mum answered. "Three skinny lattes, please."

"Straight away."

We had all had a cooked breakfast so however good the paninis looked, there was no way we'd be able to manage one. The coffee however was wonderful.

We took the bags to the car and locked them away before heading back into the stores, the better ones this time. Everything we picked up had to be tried on. When we eventually returned to M&S, for a second look, the duty manager saw us and came across.

"Ladies, I'm so please that nastiness this morning hasn't affected your shopping. Here's some vouchers for our coffee shop valid for a month."

I thanked him, saying it wasn't necessary but put the vouchers in my bag anyway. We were just about done in town and headed back to the car-park with the latest set of bags. I was just ahead of the others as we rounded the last corner.

Stood there was David Stevens, spray can in hand. Some of his artwork was on mum's car. My phone was very handy and I quickly photographed him before mum shouted at him. He darted off, leaving the spray can where it fell.

A few seconds later we heard a grunt and some swearing. A police officer was walking back with the prat in an armlock.

"Ladies, I have reason to believe this miscreant is responsible for the damage to your car. Does anyone know him?"

"David Stevens" we chorused.

"One at a time please ladies."

"Oy, it weren't me. Let me go you ..."

The officer was attaching cuffs and may have unfortunately overtightened them. He called for a vehicle and then waited until the miscreant, as he'd been called, was loaded into the van that had arrived amazingly quickly. He finally turned to speak to us.

"Did any of you witness the damage?"

We all nodded, I then showed the officer the mobile phone picture I'd taken.

"Is this car in your name, madam?"

Mum answered it was. He made a note of names and addresses.

"Right, I'll get him booked in and I'll se you at home for your statements later, around 4 o'clock?"

He left, taking the spray can with him in an evidence bag. Mum just stood there stunned. I took a few more pictures of the damage before we got in the car and drove home, in complete silence.

We unloaded the car and put the bags indoors but no attempt was made to unpack. We were too shocked. Sharon and Annie came running over as soon as they saw the car.

"What, what happened?"

Claire explained to her mum what had happened during the day, so far.

Everyone looked as if they were going to say something to me, but nothing was said. I went to the kitchen and made some coffee. I no longer had a daily coffee limit, just as well.

Mum phoned a few garages about the car but only found answering machines. It was Saturday afternoon, after all. I went to my PC and downloaded the photos from my phone. I then burnt then to a CD.

Just before 4pm we were all still there when two police officers arrived. One went back outside to photograph the artwork while the other established the names of everyone present, plus mine and Claire's dates of birth.

We each gave our statements, then signed them and I had to hand over my mobile. The officer promised I could have it back on Monday.

"We'll charge him with criminal damage and affray, but we'll have to wait for his parents to arrive at the station. He'll probably be bailed to report to the youth court on Monday morning at 11am."

"We have a solicitor, Mr Dixon of Dixon Hill, who would like to be informed."

"I'll make a note of that."

We didn't take that last comment as very positive but he left shortly after, taking his colleague with him. Mum went straight to the phone and called the number for Dixon Hill. She got the answerphone message and wrote down a mobile number which she then dialled.

"Mr Dixon, Janet Jones. There's been an incident, several in fact. Hold on."

Sharon was waving at mum and then whispered in her ear.

"Ah, Mr Dixon, Sharon Johnson, who you've already met, would also like you to represent her and her daughters as well as they are suffering the same harassment. Yes, seven? Yes. OK."

"Mr Dixon will be here at seven. How about a takeaway? I don't feel like cooking."

We rang for a Chinese meal for all five of us and had just finished it when Mr Dixon arrived.

We each went through the happenings of the past 24 hours. He listened intently and wrote notes as we each spoke. After a few questions he was satisfied with the information and the sequence of events. Excusing himself for a moment he went outside and photographed the car for himself. I rushed upstairs and came down with my CD of pictures from my phone and handed these to Mr Dixon.

He asked Sharon to sign some papers then left, promising to call later. Mum went outside and moved the car.

By now it was gone eight and I needed something to wind down. Sharon and Annie went home, Claire cuddled with me on the couch watching Strictly Come Dancing (note: known as Dancing With The Stars elsewhere). It was the second week of the competition. By the end we were laughing at the awful jokes that the host, Brucie, was telling. There were lots of goodnight kisses before Claire went home.

Mum and I passed on our hot chocolate so I took my pills with water and dressed for bed. My new nighties were still in the bags in the lounge, where we'd dropped them.

up
324 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

David Stevens

that boy has a serious problem. I hope he gets put away for a while, and then gets some help.

DogSig.png

Re: David Stevens

Definitely not the brightest bulb on the chandelier/lamp stand, especially being caught twice, first for harassment, then vandalism.

The evidence, especially for the vandalism to the car, is extremely clear since he was caught doing it.

That isn't going to bode well for him in the courts, perhaps worse when the courts learn of the harassment as well.