Land of My Heart - Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version
Aussie cattle station.jpg
Land of My Heart

A novel by Bronwen Welsh

The sequel to 'A Foreign Country'


Chapter Thirteen   The Library

I love reading, so I visit the Heyward's Crossing library quite often. John and I supported it with some funds so that they could purchase more books and and even the 'talking books' on tape and CD that are now becoming popular with locals who sometimes have to drive for hours between towns. I have to say that we had some trouble talking around the Chief Librarian Miss Marks, a lady of some sixty plus summers who is rather 'old school' and believes that a book is only a book if it is printed on paper. I've always believed that you 'get more with sugar than with vinegar' (one of my late mother's sayings), and after judicious flattery and the suggestion that she would be considered 'forward thinking' if the Hey Library became the first in the district to offer this service, she reluctantly agreed. The first batch of 'talking books' was a huge success, not only with drivers, but also with some of the elderly who have failing eyesight.

Anyway, today I went to the library to return some books and chose some more, and in place of Miss Marks behind the counter was a rather handsome young man. Well, when I say young, he was perhaps in his late thirties, but as I approach my half century that is looking young to me.

“Miss Marks having a day off?” I said, smiling at him.

“Oh, haven't you heard? She had a fall and broke her leg. She'll be away for some weeks, so they sent me over from Charleville to fill in while she's away.”

“Oh dear, that is bad news,” I said, then hastened to add “not that you're not very welcome.”

I could feel myself blushing at my clumsiness, but what was it about this young man that was making me react this way? I surreptitiously checked his left hand – no wedding ring, not that that means a lot nowadays. Why I did it, I've no idea, or perhaps I do. Ever since I came back from Brisbane last week I've been thinking about Melissa and John and how they have each other, and I have no-one. I even thought a couple of times about my short fling with Geoff, the fling that came to an abrupt end when I found out that he was married with children. At that moment I made up my mind to never get involved with another man unless I knew they are single, and I'm determined to stick with it. Now chatting with this very attractive man, and wondering if I was flirting with him, I couldn't help thinking how much I missed male company.

“Well,” I said “I've managed to get the books back before I'm fined this time, so I'd better go and chose some more.” With that I turned and walked towards the book shelves, strangely aware that he was watching me and resisting the temptation to swing my hips.

I spent some time going through the offerings on the bookshelves. In the past I didn't care what Miss Marks thought of my choices, but suddenly it seemed important that they should meet with this young man's approval. At the same time I didn't want to take something that I wouldn't be interested in reading. I finished up with 'Pride and Prejudice', having seen the film but never read the book, and a couple of more modern novels.

When I return to the desk the library was empty of other members. The young man took my ticket and glanced at my books.

“One of the classics I see,” he smiled as he picked up the Jane Austen. I knew I was blushing, yet again – something I've never been able to control.

“Well I've seen the film,” I replied, “and I know they heavily cut the story to fit into ninety minutes, so I thought it was about time I read the original.”

“An excellent idea,” he glanced at my card, “Mrs Brodie, I'm sure Mr Brodie will approve.”

“There is no Mr Brodie,” I replied, rather flustered, ”that is to say there was a Mr Brodie, but I'm a widow now.”

'Good grief,' I said to myself, 'What must he think of me? I'm behaving like a schoolgirl.'

“Oh I'm sorry,” he replied, “That was rather tactless of me.”

“You weren't to know, Mr err?”

“James Taylor,” he replied, and smiled, “and no, I'm not a great singer.”

I smiled, “I do enjoy his music despite my age.”

James raised an eyebrow, “You must have been very young when he came on the scene.”

“Why? How old do you think I am?” I laughed, “No, you'd better not answer that!”

James laughed in turn. “ 'Never forget a lady's birthday, but never ask her age'. I've made that mistake a few times, perhaps that's why I'm single.” And in that very subtle manner he had answered the question that was in my mind, or should that be that he knew was in my mind? I felt it was time I was going.

“Well it's been nice meeting you Mr Taylor. Perhaps you'll still be here when I return these books.”

“I hope so,” was his reply. I know I was blushing again as I turned and left the library.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a country dance held in the Heyward's Crossing Hall every few months. I used to go with John, but since his death I've only been once, and that was when encouraged by friends. Tonight, Ellen and Tom, my dearest old friends insisted that I accompany them, and I'm so glad I did.

It's about an hour's drive into Hey from the Station, so as they usually did, Ellen and Tom suggested I bring along my evening clothes, have a shower and change when I reached their home, and stay in the spare bedroom overnight before driving home in the morning. This suits me very well. I'm quite resourceful, but the idea of an hour's drive in the dark with the ever-present danger of colliding with a kangaroo, does not appeal to me.

Early this afternoon I selected one of the pretty ball gowns that John bought for me and zipped it up in a plastic clothes bag to keep out the dust. Then I packed a small suitcase with a change of clothes and some underwear. As usual, I told Jack where I was going and that I'd be back tomorrow, and then I set out for Hey.

Ellen and Tom greeted me warmly. They make a lovely couple and I am so glad that between myself and Tom's late wife, my dearest woman friend Jenny, we had managed to find him the perfect person for his later years. It's funny that a person like myself who has no religious affiliations or beliefs should think that after Jenny passed away she somehow had a hand in bringing together Tom with Ellen who had nursed her in her final days. Of course if you saw me sitting by her graveside chatting to her, you might wonder how firm those 'non-beliefs' really are!

After a cup of tea and a chat about the latest happenings in Hey, I unpacked my clothes in the spare bedroom and then had a shower to wash away any dust accumulated in the trip down. Then I went back into the bedroom to dress. Perhaps it's the result of my origins, but I have a weakness for French lingerie, a weakness indulged by John who encouraged me to buy a new set every time we were in Brisbane. I had laid out on the bed my bra, pants, suspender belt and full slip in rose pink, all made of the purest silk and trimmed with exquisite French lace. After all, if a girl is going to wear a gorgeous evening gown, she should compliment it with what lies beneath! The lingerie was teamed with a new pair of sheerest nylons and some four inch heels. I used to wear up to six inch heels but in acknowledgment of my age have scaled back a bit.

After I dressed, put on my makeup and attended to my hair, I came back into the lounge room where Ellen and Tom were already waiting. Tom was wearing a dinner suit, and Ellen had on a very pretty ball gown in pastel blue which really suited her. They both complimented me on my appearance.

“I'm going to have two gorgeous women on my arm tonight,” said Tom, “Won't the other men be jealous?”

We climbed into Tom's Landrover for the ten minute drive to the hall, arriving there just after eight o'clock, about forty minutes after the dance started. The hall was already quite full, so we secured a table from those that surrounded the dance floor, and Tom went off to get us a drink. Hey has quite a good band – it consists of two trumpets, an alto and tenor sax, guitar, bass and drums, and led from the piano. They are all amateur musicians of course but they play well together. Tom returned with our drinks, and asked Ellen if she would like to dance as they were playing a slow waltz. Ellen looked as if she didn't want to leave me on my own, but I said I would be fine and to please dance with Tom. They went off together while I looked around the hall and smiled at some people I know.

Tom and Ellen returned when the pace of the next dance picked up and we sat chatting while they finished another bracket and went off-stage for a drink. When they returned, the leader Max the pianist approached the microphone.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Rob, our usual vocalist could not make it this evening, but I'm happy to say that at short notice we have secured a replacement with an impeccable musical name. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome....James Taylor!”

I gasped as James appeared from the side of the stage and approached the microphone to a smattering of applause. Ellen looked at me curiously.

“Do you know him?” she asked.

“I've met him,” I replied, “He's standing in for Miss Marks at the library, but I didn't know he was a singer.”

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen,” said James into the microphone, “Thank you for that warm welcome. We're going to start this bracket with a slow waltz, so please take your partners.”

“That sounds like my speed,” said Tom with a glance at Ellen who nodded, “Would you like to take a turn around the floor Lesley?”

“I'd love to, Tom,” I replied, and took his hand as he lead me onto the dance floor. The band struck up the intro to “My Funny Valentine”, and James began to sing. I should have guessed it of course, he has a great voice, and that after telling me he couldn't sing!

We worked our way slowly around the floor and inevitably reached a point close to the stage. I glanced up at James and he smiled and gave me a wink. I blushed of course, what woman wouldn't? The next dance was a quickstep, too fast for Tom so we made our way back to the table.

“Thank you Tom,” I said “It's been ages since I last went dancing. It's good to know it's like riding a bike – you never forget how.”

“You dance well,” said Tom, “Maybe it was the music, or even the singer.”

“Stop teasing the girl,” said Ellen, and Tom looked slightly bashful.

“I'll forgive you if you go and get me a mineral water, Tom,” I said, “It's getting a bit hot in here.”

When Tom had left the table, Ellen looked at me.

“That young man has made quite an impression on you hasn't he,” she said, it coming out as a statement rather than a question.

“This is only the second time I've seen him,” I replied defensively, which didn't exactly answer her question, but fortunately at that moment Tom came back, so the subject wasn't pursued.

It's funny how sometimes we know in advance what is going to happen. The next bracket of tunes apparently didn't need a vocalist, and almost on cue the side door to the stage opened and James appeared. Without hesitation he walked over to our table.

“Good evening Mrs Brodie. What a pleasant surprise to see you here,” he said.

“Mr Taylor,” I responded, “May I introduce my friends Ellen and Tom Green?”

Tom half stood and they shook hands, and Ellen smiled at James. “It's very nice to meet you, Mr Taylor, you have a great voice,” she said.

“Thank you, but please, call me James,” he replied.

“Very well, James it is,” said Ellen, “I should tell you that there's a lady here who has been complaining that no-one is asking her to dance.”

“May I?” said James, holding out his hand. My face was flaming with embarrassment, but nevertheless I took his outstretched hand and he led me to the dance floor.

As we waltzed around the hall I look at him accusingly “You never told me you could sing so well,” I said.

“And you never told me what a great dancer you are,” he said in return. It was true that my level of dancing seemed to have stepped up a notch as I was swept around the room in the arms of this fascinating man. I knew that perhaps later I would look back on this moment in a cool calm and collected way, but at that moment I was oblivious to everything but the romance of being in James's arms. Somehow in two short meetings I knew I had fallen in love with him, of that I had no doubt. How ridiculous it seemed at my age, but it was still very enjoyable.

I know we spoke while dancing, but I can't remember very much of it. It was enough to feel his firm masculine body pressed against mine, and for me to yield to that sensation and feel like I was floating on air. One thing I do remember was asking him how he came to be singing with the band after being in town only a couple of weeks.

“It was quite serendipitous,” he replied, “Max came into the library to return some books. I could see something was on his mind and he told me about the band and how his vocalist had come down with laryngitis and he was at his wits end. I happened to mention that I've sung with a band in Charleville and 'the rest is history' as they say.”

The waltz was followed by a foxtrot, and again we seemed to move as one around the floor. I even became aware of other couples moving over to give us room. When that number finished I somehow came to earth and said that I should return to my friends' table. I saw a look of disappointment on James' face and tried to soften my decision by saying “This is a country town – after three dances they'll think we're engaged!”

“I guess they are expecting me back on stage anyway,” said James. “By the way, what's your favourite James Taylor song?”

“ 'Every day',” I said without thinking, “You know, the Buddy Holly song?”

“Yes, I know it,” he replied smiling, and then we were back at the table and he was holding my chair for me to sit, and returning to the stage. My heart was still beating wildly, and I couldn't say it was due to the exertion of the dance. Ellen and Tom looked at each other but said nothing, and I was grateful for that.

James sang another song and then I noticed him saying something to the other band members before coming back to the microphone.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I have a request from a very special lady for a song recently sung by my namesake, and I hope you enjoy it.” With that he started to sing “Every day”, and I sang the lyrics with him under my breath:

“Everyday, it's a-getting closer,
Going faster than a roller-coaster,
Love like yours will surely come my way,
A-hey, a-hey-hey.”

'Yes, it is like a roller-coaster,' I thought to myself, 'and if I'm not careful it will get totally out of control.'

James did not come over again. I had another dance with Tom (I should mention that he did dance several times with Ellen too), and no-one else asked me to dance, and I was content with that as I wanted to remember how it felt to dance in James's arms.

Later, when we were alone, Ellen said to me “You're falling for him in a big way aren't you?”

“Is it that obvious?” I replied.

She smiled, “You're entitled to have some romance in your life, but do be careful won't you?”

“Yes I will,” I promised, “He's younger than me of course, and people can be unkind with their talk of 'toy-boys'. Perhaps it's just as well he'll be going back to Charleville soon.”

“You never struck me as a person who gives up easily,” said Ellen.

“Oh I'm not,” I replied, “but if something happens, perhaps it's better that it happens in Charleville, away from the eyes of the local busybodies.”

That night as I slept in Ellen and Tom's spare bedroom I had some vivid dreams but of course they evaporated like morning mist when I awoke. However, I'm almost sure James featured in them.

To be continued.

---------------------------------------------------

Image credit: Australian cattle station by Harris Walker reproduced under Creative Commons licence with attribution.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love

I Love the story so far. Obviously James is a nice "diversion" for Lesley, though "tongues would wag" if anything happened. (the downside of living in a small country town).

Keep up the great work!

Joanna

Love

Love is in the air, which is another song, when two people fall in love age difference doesn't count. another nice chapter Bronwen.

ROO