Eve - Chapter 23

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 23
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:

Cousin Jenny has now accepted Eve as a girl. Claire and Eve have fully repaired their relationship.

Now the story continues.
 
 
 
Eve Chapter 23
 
 
 

Mum had me up before seven and into the shower. Today we'd face the Stevens family in court, mum was upbeat but I wondered if that was a facade.

She insisted that I dress appropriately and told me to wear a suit. Amongst my recent purchases was a bright pink one with a knee length skirt. Make a statement! My blouse needed pressing so I had found myself in the kitchen wearing a bathrobe with the iron in my hand before eight o'clock. I had ironed before, mum had insisted I learn since there was just the two of us, but I had never previously pressed anything so delicate.

The blouse was going to show my bra so I selected my prettiest white one with a B cup. The enhancers went in, although I wasn't convinced I'd need them much longer. Mum didn't quite agree.

"You're only an A cup right now, quite full though, but don't expect a B cup overnight."

I did my makeup carefully then made my way downstairs.

Back in the kitchen I put on an apron before starting breakfast. Neither of us knew how the day would start so we had a boiled egg, toast and OJ. The court summons had told us to be at there at ten so we had just over an hour.

The post arrived and I dropped it on the kitchen table, the top one was from the bank, addressed to me. I was about to open it when the phone rang.

"That was the Deputy Chief Exec from the hospital calling with an update. Apparently David Stevens senior couldn't be contacted on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I told them that his son is due at court this morning so they will send someone there to wait in case either of them shows."

At nine thirty mum and I checked our makeup and met Sharon and Claire outside, then all jumped into Sharon's car for the ride into town. We walked into the court building, eight heels clicking in unison. Mr Dixon met us there.

"He was supposed to report from bail fifteen minutes ago."

"The hospital's deputy chief exec has told us that his father hasn't been contacted yet," said mum.

"But the accused," a giggle from Claire, "was seen in town on Saturday."

Mr Dixon acknowledged what was said but was waiting to speak to the tall suited man who had just walked in. Our solicitor greeted him, "good morning Gerald. I take it you're here for the father?"

"Yes, I've just been told he might be here."

"Gerald, I'm representing Mrs Jones and her daughter, Mrs Johnson and her daughters."

"Ah, Eve Jones I presume. I'm acting for the hospital trust, please believe me, we are dealing with your problem."

"Thank you."

The court usher walked into the lobby.

"Calling David Stevens to court one."

No-one moved. In fact none of us saw him or his family. Mr Dixon waited a few minutes then asked to speak to the Magistrates. He returned a minute later.

"They have decided to extend bail for a further week. As he is under eighteen they cannot issue a bench warrant yet. They are however considering the ASBO request right now."

"Great," my understatement was clear to all, this was not how I had expected it to finish.

The four of us girls looked at each other and, as if synchronised, spun on our heels heading for the door.

It was barely gone ten and the main event of the day hasn't happened. What do four girls do? Claire had already decided she wouldn't be going into school today, even though the day was still young. We held a meeting at the Italian Coffee shop.

The barista welcomed us, "good morning ladies. What can I get you today?"

Two coffees and a slice of cake later we had calmed down. We breezed through the shopping centre. Being a Monday morning it was quiet and mostly we had the shops to ourselves, plus the full attention of the staff.

We arrived home at one. The day's post had included the one from the bank I'd seen this morning. Their computer confirmed that my account had been opened and I could expect my card in a week to ten days. I made a note to let Mr Dixon know.

We had a quick simple lunch and were just relaxing when the doorbell rang. Miss Scott, my tutor, walked in. She was very abrupt.

"You were supposed to hand in your work at the end of last week. Of course you were unavailable all day Friday and you weren't here this morning. I won't accept excuses."

I drew myself to my full height and smoothed my skirt, unfortunately I'd already taken my heels off. "Then don't. I've done the work but if you'd rather have an argument feel free. I fully expected a fight in a magistrates court today and that, unfortunately, didn't happen so I'm ready for one right now. Don't treat me like a little kid."

"I want it if you've finished it."

"Don't bother. I'll hand it into the school myself tomorrow and save you the trouble. Goodbye."

Mum stood there quietly the whole time. Miss Scott hadn't got as far as sitting down.

"I won't take attitudes like that."

"I've already suggested you leave. Goodbye."

Mum followed her to the door then came back into the kitchen.

"That was a bit strong. You didn't mean to upset her, did you?"

"Sorry but her attitude was wrong the moment she walked in, besides I've decided to go back to school as soon as I can."

"Good girl. You're learning fast."

Claire came over and found me still in my suit, she pushed me upstairs and had me strip to my undies. Fifteen minutes later, after alot of giggling, I was in shorts, a sports bra and a hoodied top. She also told me not to wear any make-up, except a little lipstick.

"What's this in aid of?"

"We're going for a ride. You need to chill out."

"Oh."

I got mum's bike out and met Claire outside with her bike. She now had a backpack with her.

"Eve, you need to get a new bike."

"I know, but I can't ask mum. She's already spent too much on me. I'll wait until I've got some money of my own. I want a laptop as well."

We cycled out of town and several miles along the canal towpath. Claire found a picnic site a few feet away from the canal but behind a line of trees. A car park, some fifty yards away, was empty.

Claire pulled a blanket out of the bag and we sat, confident that we couldn't be overlooked. She also had a thermos of hot coffee. After the ride I was a little warm and, having checked the immediate area again, took off my top. Not wishing to be left out, Claire did likewise. I'd like to say we just sat and talked, but I can't.

I made a mental note to get a bikini, but it was the wrong time of year to find one in the shops.

We returned home a few hours later with grins on our red faces, which we explained was due to the fast sprint on the way home.

I was fed and watered by seven and retired to use my PC. There was an email from Claire that just made me giggle.

"virtually a B cup."

I replied,
"but virtue all intact."

up
289 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Good girl. You're learning fast."

Andrea Lena's picture

"Sorry but her attitude was wrong the moment she walked in, besides I've decided to go back to school as soon as I can."

Good for her!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

great story

love the long slow build up to enlighten Eve how all this happened to her, Lucky Gal!

Miss Scott appears to be a

Miss Scott appears to be a very officious sort of woman/tutor. Jumping on someone before finding out what is going on is not what I would call being tactful. I'm glad that Eve "fired" her.