Eve - Chapter 25

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 25
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:
 

Eve has had her meeting with the school but needs to talk to the Head.

 

Now the story continues.
 
 
 
Eve Chapter 25
 
 
 

Apparently school governors have real jobs and don't devote their whole day to the school so Mr Davis went off to his place of work, leaving me, mum and the headteacher. Mum, as usual, suggested a coffee and the head readily accepted. As it was the end of the school day he was okay about spending an hour with us.

We sat at the back of the coffee shop, away from the counter. After all, we didn't want my problems announced to all the customers, did we?

"How are you Si, err, Eve?"

"I'm mostly fine Sir, but I'm still under my surgeon and other doctors." I didn't want to say I was seeing a shrink and was still on anti-depressants, obviously.

"I understand. I had a letter from Dr Fox explaining that you might need some time."

Great. Now he knows I'm seeing a shrink.

"Did she say any more?"

"No."

At least she hadn't said anything embarrasing. "I have been thinking, Sir, about coming back to school, but I don't want to create more problems."

Mum was unusually quiet.

"Eve, ultimately your welfare is more important than your school work, but we can work around any problems. I hope that the remaining staff and pupils will understand and will welcome you. As a sixth-former you won't see much of the lower years, and of course this year's intake won't know you at all."

That limits those in regular contact to about a hundred students and thirty staff then.

"Sir, before we go any further, I think I need to explain a few things."

"I'm listening, but I am not here to judge you. Explain as much as you need to."

I started with my mum's problems when I was born, and told him that until my exam certs arrived I had no idea of my full name. Then I explained how medical circumstances forced me into skirts, but I missed out the bit about how Mum manipulated me. Then I said how I was comfortable with this and it was no longer a disguise, especially now I was developing breasts.

I then told him I was seeing a gender identity specialist again on Friday.

"How often will your appointments be? We'll need to know so you won't be disciplined for repeated absences."

"I'm not sure at the moment. Can I get back to you?"

"Of course."

I asked for his direct email address, I still wasn't happy about dealing with the office staff because of the problems at the school even though the bursar was now history. He gave me a business card but asked that none of the other students are told.

"Now, what my return?" See, I've made my mind up.

"I can't see there being a problem but I will need a letter from your psychiatrist explaining why you are returning as a female. I have now been told that we have a transgender policy, in fact it covers the GLBT spectrum. Apparently the rest of the County adopted the policy a few years ago but myself and the governors weren't informed. Our former bursar was also the clerk to the governors and as such was responsible for distributing policies and information from the county LEA or central government."

"Ah, that explains a few things. I'll talk to the shrink about that letter."

"Right, I'll talk to your tutors. As you're not changing your name, so far as the records are concerned, we won't need any deed poll or statutory declaration."

Mum decided to speak, "Mr Spinner, in fact Eve has changed her name." She handed him one of the copies.

"Thank you, although I must admit I wasn't expecting this. I'm sure the new bursar will be able to handle it."

"I have told my home tutor that I want to deal directly from the school for my schoolwork until I return. I have a memory stick with my latest work."

He accepted the memory stick. "I had heard that your home tutor wasn't needed any more. I'll talk to your sixth form tutors and arrange things. Mrs Abbott however has asked that she doesn't mark your work any longer, I don't know what that's about because it happened while I was off but I'll deal with it. In the meantime can Claire Johnson act as a go-between?"

"If that's alright with her. I take it you know about us?"

"Eve, relationships between students are none of my business so long as the school isn't being disrupted."

"Right."

Mum spoke, "Thank you Mr Spinner. Can I suggest we meet again once we have some more information from Eve's doctors and aim for Eve returning to school after half-term? She has a medical certificate valid until the 31st and the break is in three weeks."

"That's a reasonable timescale, subject to Eve's doctors. Please let the office know when you want to meet me."

"Thank you."

We all rose and said farewell to the head. I'd never had a real problem with him previously and it didn't look like I would now.

Mum suggested we get back to the car before the rain hit us. We have had a prolonged dry spell, but the darkening sky was very threatening. We made it indoors just as the first drops fell. Within seconds the path outside the house was awash. Looks like we're staying in for the rest of the day. Then the doorbell rang!

I found two drenched delivery men on the doorstep with some boxes. They put then in the hall then asked mum to sign for them.

"That's your dresser."

"But it's flat pack."

"Yes, leave it there for now, you can put it together tomorrow."

The rain was continuous, it really was the first meaningful rain since August. The garden sorely needed it, but, hey, it really put a dampener on the day, pun intended.

Mum and I prepared a curry for dinner. I found my letter from the bank on the table. They welcomed me and included some student style offers, like a new credit card. Of course, as I was only 16 they shouldn't offer me such things. Another envelope, this time unmarked, contained my debit card. No PIN yet though.

By now, the smell of the curry could be found throughout the house, mum had me closing our bedroom doors as she didn't fancy clothes smelling of that indian dish. Mum described the cooking method for curry as a slow affair, looking at the pot some Shakespeare came to mind "Hubble bubble, toil & trouble", from some Scottish play I think.

When I checked my emails Claire had sent me a soppy one complaining about the weather. She added that she wasn't getting any strange looks or comments now. Apart from David Stevens and Joey Brown I wasn't aware of any one having a go at her, I must ask Annie what the score is.

I'd stopped checking my old Simon mailbox a few days ago so only read emails to Eve. Apart from Claire and Annie, only Jenny had my new email address. She'd let me know about arranging to meet in town on Saturday while her and my mums were doing something unspecified. Mum hadn't mentioned any of this to me, as usual. I forwarded that email to Claire, so she could join us if she was free.

Then I logged into the online tutor website. There were a couple of multi-choice Q&A quizzes so I worked on one for an hour until mum shouted for dinner.

The curry was superb, and very filling. We put everything in the dishwasher and set it going. The breakfast bits were in there already. I suppose we were just lazy, but neither had any energy. The telly was awful so I went upstairs to listen to the radio, changing into a nightie. I fell asleep on the bed with the radio on as it was still playing in the morning. Not done that for a long time.

up
316 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Still wondering.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I still don't get whats happening to Eve, a boy does not suddenly turn into a girl because he finds out his name is legally Eve, there has to be more to it. Will we find out, will it remain a mystery? How come eve is not questioning it? Even if "she" is happy with the out come, she still should be wondering why and how?

Thousands of Genetic Issues.

There are genetic issues that could cause similar problems. For now I think it is best that I simply enjoy it as a story.

G

causation

enb4448's picture

In a previous chapter, the surgeon explained that the tumour had been pressing on the pituitary glands, causing a hormone imbalance. Eve now has very low testosterone and normal oestrogen levels for a teenage girl.

Gender change reason

The author has hinted at it being because of a pituitary disturbance caused by the brain tumor.

What's happening with Eve

Alice-s's picture

Something is producing the hormones. Note that there was also a bit of indigestion mentioned earlier. I would not be surprised if Eve was intersex.

Nice to see the Head seems to

Nice to see the Head seems to actually be on Eve's side in all this and is very willing to work with her and her Mum. Also glad he is not against Eve and Claire as a couple as long as they do not flaunt in everyone's face. That is a rather reasonable request by anyone. It shall be rather interesting as to how all the other teachers and students take to Eve and interact with her upon her return to school.