Sweet Dreams-59

Printer-friendly version

Sweet Dreams-59

Chapter 59

*Before…

I look around the caf and it’s just a sort of morbid kind of curious look and I’m looking not at the kids around me in the whole popular side of things but over to what would have been me…you ‘know the loners and the geeks and the sort of like unpopular kids that don’t really fit the popular and semi popular high school tribes and I’m kind of looking for.
Yeah…it’s there.
I see them and they see me and some of them sort of do the don’t look right at it thing with me but some of them are doing the glare and don’t like me because I’m one of “Them” looks.
Sigh…fuck.
I knew it was bound to happen and yeah if I was a shitty person and all self-absorbed and shit I’d trot out the they’re just jealous crap but I’ve been there and they’re coming at this from places of being likely treated like dogshit by some of these popular people and stuff.
So…I’m going to need to change that.

*And Now…

And I mean it too. I’ve never been one of the popular kids heck back in my old school I went as punk and gothy and queer looking as I could so as to just be that kind of freaky kid that was enough of a loser that people kind of ignored.

And that’s how I liked it.

And this, getting this sort of label going on where I’m one on the “In” people and stuff just sort of leaves this bad taste in my mouth. I mean it’s not like I’m going to go around and whine and stuff that people don’t get me.

I’m not a special little snowflake and really the hell I’ve survived is my business really. And I’d rather pee glass than trade off my damage for pity-popularity.

No, I’ll find another way to do this and maybe even change some of the stuff around here too.

I take another big sighing breath and I head off to class and Alex walks me there and that’s actually really nice. I mean he doesn’t have to and he doesn’t carry my books or anything but he still does it and at least with the whole morning registration thing we have some time to do that kind of thing and it’s actually not as bad as the cliché.

It is definitely still the cliché though the girl getting walked to class but it’s not either. That stuff’s kinda halfway dead with all the things have changed and stuff between guys and girls.

Okay now I’m not really one of those feminists but at the same time I do think that there is a sort of my arms are broke thing. It’s just to me there’s a whole lot of people I knew growing up that actually used their girlhood in messed up ways but at the same time I’ve lived in shitty places where being a girl is like a prison sentence too, where it’s all that bitches and hoes and honey’s and even old ladies in that whole ganger to biker to hip hop gangsta stuff.

I hate both sides of it.

Women and girls are just people and just as messed up and good and bad and stuff…I just would like to see like someone actually respect girls for being girls and for girls themselves to respect being girls and not use it in this whole shitty stereotype way.

That’s what’s grating on me.

I don’t want to be the stereotype.

I’m Hunter, not Alex’s girlfriend.

Or whatever else I’m going to get labeled in.

So…how do I get to that point?

Which I actually have to think about because I’ve spent the bulk of my life trying not to be noticed.

So this is kind of on my mind through history and math class and when it hit’s first break I just sort of walk around taking the lazy way to meet up with Alex and actually pay attention this time to the stuff going on. What people are saying and what they’re talking about even if it’s just a song or something on TV it doesn’t matter I just try and take some of it all in by the time I get to the cafeteria and Alex is getting me a coffee.

I smile and I thank him and give him a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks.”

“No problem, you okay?”

“Yeah I was just sort of walking around and taking it all in.”

“All in?”

“The other students, the school. I mean I’ve kinda still been trying to keep my head down and everything.”

“Okay, is this for the homecoming thing?”

“Yeah.”

“Already?”

“Yeah well the others aren’t going to do things half assed in their own way.”

I take a drink and I sort of look purposefully over at some of the others nominated and they’re already doing that whole talking to their circles of people and others even.

One of the one’s that’s in that whole popular because they’re just popular group is already talking to people that she didn’t seem to know that well and her boyfriend is pressing flesh with the handshakes and that pretty boy model kind of looks and she looks like she was here first and has bought all of the cookies that the caf-staff had made to sell and she’s passing them out for free.

I mean it’s totally transparent and I don’t think even the ones that know she’s being fake cares because well like free food.

Ding!

I grin and take a drink of my coffee and walk over and take Alex’s hand.

“Where are we going?”

“Okay why?”

“I want a cookie and she’s giving them out.”

I grin a little more as I actually hear Alex snerk.

That just completely made my morning.

I head over to her and she’s giving me the stinky eyed stare and I give her this great big smile. “You’re Kathy right? Free cookies?”

“Not for you.”

“Why not?”

“They’re for the other kids the ones that vote.”

“I can vote? Are you saying I’m not good enough to have a cookie?”

I hold my hand out and she’s looking at me with this whole thing in her eyes of…no, no you don’t deserve a cookie… but she reaches into her basket and she passes me a cookie even though I can tell it’s like I’m a dentist pulling out one of her teeth as she’s doing it.

“Thank yoooou.” I say really cheerfully.

“Well it’s like the rules even though there should be rules about new people like you coming in and doing stuff like this.”

I stop and look at her. I know I’m just as blonde and white and all of that as she is but I’m not from the same place as she is.

“So…one rule for those that have been here and nothing for the newcomers?”

“Yeah like respect your seniors.”

“Oh I thought that you were like talking about people and votes and stuff like with immigrants.”

“Yeah well that too if you’re not here long enough to know stuff than you shouldn’t vote either.”

I don’t say anything but I just look at her with this…oh really look…and I take a bite of my cookie.

See we might be in the middle of whitebread central and everything but at the same time we are in Detroit. And even here there are people that don’t fit the whole white centric world view, there’s a lot of Asian kids and Indian kids and even some Hispanic and black kids from families that can afford to live in this district.

The thing is though even if they’re doing okay with their families the whole axis of privilege between whites and non-whites is still there, there is a thing and there is a whole part of these kids’ lives that’s affected by attitudes like hers.

And yeah I baited her.

Dress them up however you want to but I can smell a racist white person a mile away after all my time with the Aryan’s and the Stepshit.

Besides she wasn’t giving cookies to anyone that wasn’t white, it was really easy to see and really easy to overlook all of that in a place like this.

Unless you’re not a white kid.

She’s not a total dumbass and she squawks out after she catches herself. “No! No, no, no that’s not what I meant at all1 I meant that people should like pay their way! Pay their dues and stuff!”

I start walking away and towards Jen and Cindy and some of the LGBTQIA+ kids that are sort of loosely gathering there at the table that they’re at and I say.

“Funny, you ever think the journey to get here might be paying those dues?”

I’m not trying for a race debate with her, I’ve lived with racists and extremists and frankly she doesn’t have the spoons to come at me on this.

“No! Stop putting words in my mouth!”

I do an ironic valley girl. “Like…what..evar…”

She storms off really mad to another part of the cafeteria and I go over to Jen who opens her arms and we hug and then I hug Cindy and there’s a few looks from these kids and one of the Lesbians gives me a head tilt.

“That’s a new look what happened to the punker look?”

“I had a makeover with Alex’s step mom; I never really got to do that sort of stuff before so I thought that I’d give it a try. That and I’ve dyed my hair so much I was forgetting what my original hair looked like.”

“Oh I thought you were trying to like fit in or something lame like that.”

“I am a little bit, I dressed the way I did back home and when I first got here for camouflage as much as anything else. I’m kind of tired of the getting started at bit.”

“You shouldn’t care what people think.”

“Where I come from caring what people think is one of the ways you kept from getting beat up.”

She looks at me and I look at her and there’s some looks going around the group and there’s a few nods from the LGBTQIA+ kids. Yeah when you’re in Cis-het land you tend to get it even here the bullying is nasty, maybe worse…I dunno.

And while I care I’m not really wanting to find out first hand being part of the I and most of the T. Not to mention the shit that it would cause for Alex and his family.

But it doesn’t mean I’m going to ignore it.

“So what do you all do for pride events here?”

The girl I’m talking to shakes her head. “Nothing, we really don’t have enough people to do much other than have like meetings and stuff.”

“We should.”

“How?” Jen asks actually interested looking and sounding getting her some looks from the crowd here. I can imagine that not too long ago Jen might have easily been considered one of the people that most alt-gender/sexuality kids would have had good sense to be afraid of.

Hey she’s my friend but she was a bullying ass.

I sort of shrug. “The other schools around here can’t have that big of a student out body either so maybe we should talk to them and hold a mixed school queer dance and if it like works we could like do a few of them in like a taking turns kind of way.”

They are all looking at me and at each other and one of the guys asks. “Why do you care I mean you come across kinda Cis-het to me?”

Cis-het is net slang for cisgender and heterosexual it’s not a bad thing but at the same time it’s kind of looked down on in a lot of LGBTQAI+ circles.

“Well that’s the thing about looks you can never tell.”

“So what are you?”

Jen speaks up. “She Hunter and the rest really isn’t other people’s business.”

I smile and lean on her and look at them and the kids are staring at me. So I shrug… “I’m bi, and non-binary.”

I’m getting some looks and there are a few nods. See I’m skinny enough to look like a girl that was trying to look like a guy or sort of like a guy. There’s a few other expressions as LGBTQIA+ stuff has a lot of micro stuff going on in it depending on who you’re like dealing with and stuff.

The girl we were talking to nods though and looks at Jen and I. “That could work so what’s the deal? I mean I can sort of see Jen trying and you trying with the whole homecoming thing to smooze but you two look like you’re working like together.”

Jen actually beats me too it and says. “Why does having something cool like this have to be a competition? I think the more people the better when we want to do something cool.”

I hold my palm out and Jen slaps it in a sort of low five and stuff.

I look over to Kathy and she’s giving us both the stink eye as are some of her friends who are just kind of looking at Queer Corner with all that snobby better than you disdain that I’m kind of used to seeing a lot of the time.

And Alex wraps his arms around me really purposefully and like he’s sort of showing off to them that “He’s” with me and he says. “Count me in, I’ll talk the guys on the team around and stuff.”

And there’s some surprised looks at that and just as icing on the anti-bigot cake Jen and Cindy have a public cheerleader on cheerleader kiss that lasts just long enough to get a few looks and then the end of break bell goes off and we head to our classes shaking hands and sharing a few light hugs as we do.

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great as always

Elsbeth's picture

“Where I come from caring what people think is one of the ways you kept from getting beat up.”

Camouflage, been there, done that - have the t-shirt. Love the story.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Sweet Dreams and Camouflage...

I had the t-shirt but now I can't find it. Dang camouflage...

Hunter's stirring things up, just like we knew she would. :)

Lees

Gee.....

Andrea Lena's picture

Who am I to disagree????

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Have always hated cliques.

Have always hated cliques. far too many become or actually are created to be bigoted, self-serving, cesspools of hate. It is a very, very sad piece of life that no-one should have to be subject to ever.

High-school's full of Cliques and little groups.

Even in some places that are supposed to be generally okay you'll have some people that are dependent of the hierarchy in the groups or the school. Hunter want no part of that stuff and she's looking to change things.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Thanks, Bailey

erica jane's picture

I was missing Hunter... :)

*huggles*

~And so it goes...

You're welcome Erica Jane.

It was good to get this out again.
*Big Huggles*

Bailey Summers

Exactly, I mean why does the whole thing need to separate...

people with the whole quest for homecoming? Hunter sees the whole thing as kind of privileged kid bullshit mostly anyways so she's not going to look at it like they do anyway.
*Great Big Proud Angel Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Free cookies?”

Hunter is going to mess with their heads. they won't know which way to turn.
nice one, thanks

I loved the cookie part.

But yeah she's going to mess with them a little. :)
*Hugs and Howls*

Bailey Summers

Way to go Hunter!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Make your own path!

>i< ..:::

I so wasn't expecting to see this....

D. Eden's picture

But I am very glad I did.

And yeah, coming from a very WASP family, the whole racist, better than you because you're different thing was always there. Sometimes it's just hidden better.

I would like to think that I am better than the rest of my family, and I know I am. But yes, I did grow up hearing it and living with it. I know all the names, all the derogatory terms, all the jokes.....

But I also refuse to use them, or to laugh at them because they aren't funny. I see no humor in hurting someone else. I take no pleasure in demeaning another person, and I will not be around it.

This is just another reason why I feel that I have penance to do in this life. Maybe it really is my job to pay for the sins of the fathers. I know that I owe my life to a few very special men, and I know that I will spend the rest of it trying to live as they would have wanted me to. Perhaps refusing to put up with prejudice is just another aspect of that penance.

A very good, very thought provoking chapter Bailey. This story has always stirred so much emotion within me. It's nice to know that it still does.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The way Hunter grew up she saw a lot.

And she was exposed to some really shitty things but she also lived in a lot of places where she saw what her privilege had been over others, especially in those bad neighborhoods. It's stunning really the almost different dimensional divisions there are in places where race and class have strong indicators.

You have done so much honey that a lot of us here are so grateful for.
But the world could always use more courage and goodwill and heart no matter the reasons.
I'm very glad that this still reaches out.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Somehow

Somehow this story resonates with me... I could go into why but there are so many reasons... My sister was the WASP Cis-Het... except that was her mask. I just did my best to vanish into the background and make sure that if anyone actually noticed me they thought of me as the non-entity who managed to mostly vanish into the woodwork. Apparently my best wasn't very good because I did become a target and was forced to demonstrate that I was also a few steps beyond crazy and willing to do rather extreme violence to protect myself.

No one(Especially not a kid) should have to live that way.

In this story and several others you show so clearly how just a little willingness to confront that sort of thing can change someone's world, can make the difference between survival and, well, non survival.

Thank you,

Abby

Battery.jpg

The unconvential is often targeted Abby.

It's the thuggish bullying way to seek out those that are different and not part of the peer gauged apparent norms in society. Not very cool but achingly familiar to far too many of us.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Politics

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Ahhh, politics. The whole cookie scene was very astutely played by Hunter and politically could pay off for her. I'm sure Adam would be proud, particularly with taking on the privileged elite that still look down on blue collar made good. I was also pleased to see Jen and Hunter aren't in competition, though truthfully given how she treated a lot of people in the past she probably lost her chance of winning when the in-crowd moved her to the out-crowd.

I felt a little annoyed that Hunter had to justify herself for caring about LGBTQIA+ (or should that just be LG to her questioner?). To the question of 'So what are you?' I think I'd have been inclined to reply 'A decent human being with a good idea.'

That's what I love about this story so much. It really reaches me at an emotional level. I care about these characters and what happens to them. Great writing Bailey! :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Score! TY Jemima:)

Yeah the cookie was awesome and a take from my own high-school days with that pass out the coffee and cookies during Prom elections and you're right about the LGBTQIA+ crowd having that LG politics too. Hunter and Jen both are going going to do new tings and yet still try to fight fair too.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

"Not for you"

Jamie Lee's picture

Gads, could that girl be more obvious in her "better than you" attitude? If she's like that in high school she'll be a mess when in the real world. Hope she plans staying with her own "kind" because that attitude in the real world will get her a very cold shoulder.

Plying students with treats in the hope of getting their vote, but only from those whose vote you want, is rather stupid. If votes are needed then anyone's vote is better than just select votes, since there might be more non-select votes than select votes.

Hunter can see a lot of crap going on in that school because crap was the main problem in her previous school. She knows what can happen when people feel entitled, how they can go after those who don't fit in and use them as examples to others.

The action that played out in the cafeteria had to have been heard and seen by others, as was Hunter's reaction. If those on the fringes caught what Hunter did, then it's quite possible she garnered votes without offering bribes to get them. They'd vote for Hunter for the pleasure of watching the popular kids pucker up in disgust.

Others have feelings too.