Julina of Blackstone - 035 - A Gaggle Of Intrepid Explorers

Printer-friendly version

Julina and the girls “do” the town.

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

035 – A Gaggle Of Intrepid Explorers


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
035 – A Gaggle Of Intrepid Explorers

It was still unusual to be staying somewhere, sleeping somewhere, and not have to do any morning preparations for the well-being of the others who were also overnighting. I don't know why, but even I had not really appreciated the amount of work that is entailed, and I was frankly astonished at how much more time I had as a result. I managed to use these extra moments, perhaps even bells, depending on the speed the others used to get going, to fill out my notes of our adventures, notes which resulted in these tales.

No-one it seems, does the two-sleep routine down here in Tranidor, as witnessed by the immense amount of noise that goes on. And yet somehow, we managed to sleep all the way through.

Nothing of much note occurred to us during the preparations and breakfasts that preceded our day of investigation and exploration on our own. The knowledge gained from Jafferkin's introduction yesterday proved to be exceedingly valuable as the day unfolded. Epp and Mousa wanted some time together to discuss matters of some sort, Suril was off already on his unannounced business and Haris was going to be entrusted to Jogantha and Karmanya allowing us girls and Haka to wander to our hearts' contents, accompanied by Parrier. We all teased him by asking if he would need a chaperone, so the day started with a group giggle from the gaggle of girls.

Before Epp and Mousa departed, I asked if I could once more peruse the note that GB had left, or better, to copy it, for my notes. Epp apologised and said that Suril had taken it with him so she no longer had it to hand. She was sure that he would bring it back that evening, certainly by the following evening. I had to settle for that and turned to get my carry bag and so on, ready to go out.

We didn't leave as soon as several of us wanted to, mind you.

That was because we actually felt a little sorry for Parry. We didn't want to leave the poor boy alone so we waited for him to do his beast-handling duties before we all departed, once again with young Max. We had no fixed agenda except for Haka to meet the seamstress, and for me to meet with the women and that Berdon in the inn for lunch. I remembered to put my riding breeches and skirt in the carry bag.

So we wandered here and there, getting a feel for the town, which seemed so hectic and loud to us, despite already having a full day of exposure.

We started by going straight to the market place and we kept in mind the lessons given us the day before. I confess we had quite a lot of fun. We kept the flirting to a minimum, but we happily laughed along with some of the larger characters we met.

We parted company briefly when I went with Haka to her meeting with the seamstress. Well one of us had to!

I confess that I was fascinated by some of the things I learned there. The seamstress was grateful for being able to borrow my riding attire and promised to get them done as quickly as she could. Haka offered to help her for the morning on the morrow, and her offer was gratefully accepted.

So it was that Haka was able to feel the wonder of Palarand's largest town, as Tranidor apparently was, larger than Palarand City itself – so a local claimed. This I found very difficult to believe.

… … …

“Where are they?”

“How do I know, I have been with you all the time!”

“I know, I know. It's just that I am surprised. They are usually reliable. I confess I am just a little worried.”

“Don't be worried just yet. Take some time to gather what information you may.”

“They said they would be here. Right here, next to the leather worker and the basket weaver.”

“Can I interest either of you young ladies in this modern basket. It can take 5 long loaves as well as …”

“No thank you,” I replied firmly whilst swivelling my head back and forth. Being so much taller than little Haka, I could see a significantly further distance.

But failed to spot our group.

We hadn’t been much less than half a bell and the seamstress, Nayet, had given us some good information as to where to go to get some of Haka’s items on her shopping list she had brought down from Hasinet. Indeed, Nayet had promised to supply some of the items herself and would discuss the quality with Haka on the morrow.

Nayet was a nice, smiling person with a daughter who was working in the kitchens up at the castle, and a son who was apprenticed to a wheelwright. She was grateful that she had been recommended by Berdon and had a million questions about Blackstone that Haka promised to answer in the morning.

“And don’t forget to visit the glassmaker over by the Guard and Tax house at the East Bridge. He has started making some clever little trinkets. Young girls your ages seem to like them, although I deem they might be difficult to get all the way back to Blackstone in one piece. Bormio is his name. Strange story that. His family have been here for generations, they even say the name is of Chivan origins, but he is the first to take up the glass.”

Thus we parted from the seamstress and went to find the others – exactly at the time we said we would.

But the others weren’t there and a number of sellers were starting to pester us.

Suddenly, I saw young Max running towards us and I relaxed slightly as I waved to him. He waved back whilst still at full speed, with his infectious and cheeky grin lighting his face.

… … …

We soon got a little bored with looking at stalls that all seemed to sell the same stuff – leather goods, wicker goods, cheeses, meats, vegetables, clothes, shoes, tights and so on and so forth. Each stall seemingly no different from its competitor a few stalls away. How anyone could choose one supplier over another was far too difficult for us to understand.

“I dare say we would find out how to make such a decision, if we lived here for any length of time, but as we are leaving in just a few days, it seems hardly worth the effort of trying to work it all out.”

We all agreed with Kelly when she said this and so we passed on to look at something fresh.

“Mistress Nayet suggested we visit a glassmaker called Bormio. May we do that, Max?”

“Aye, Mistress Haka, but I would suggest maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning. If we go now, then we would just have time to get there, have a quick look, and then get back here to the Market Place for your lunch appointment. And knowing you lot, you would not be able to limit your visit to such a short while.”

“Then we shall go there immediately after lunch. I found Mistress Nayet’s recommendation fascinating as well as Haka did. She somehow implied that it was a real experience to look forward to.”

Max just grinned his infectious grin – which made it all even more intriguing.

“So what shall we do until lunch, then?”

“I don’t know, Gyth. Is there anything particular you would like to do?”

“Well actually yes, there is. I should like to go and look more closely at that ‘exclusive’ island Jafferkin and Max told us about yesterday, and maybe take a walk along the river bank. What’s the matter?”

“Oh nothing! I just shivered a little,” I lied as I replied to her. I had shuddered as her words reminded me of GB’s chosen departure. “Max? Is that doable in the time?”

I was feeling a little let down when he replied in the affirmative so I steeled myself and off we went.

… … …

These houses were magnificent, there was no other word for it. They made Epp’s one look small. And the island was indeed exclusive as Max had said. The household beasts were stabled and looked after over on the river bank and the only access to the living quarters was across narrow wooden footbridges, footbridges that had been balanced on stone pillars at either end with steps to ascend to or descend from the gently arched bridges themselves.

At this time of the year the river surface was some two or more strides below the footpath level so we had some indicator as to how high the waters came during and just after the rains.

We were discussing this and associated matters as we clumped together by the entrance to one of the houses, when a well-dressed man, surrounded by various others, emerged from the door of the house and headed towards the path where we were standing close to the little footbridge. We shuffled back a little to make room and watched as the procession came towards us.

“Well Mistresses all, and young Masters. It is rare that my day starts with such beauty. Good morrow all. What, I pray, is the reason that I am so fortunate today? My name, might I be allowed to introduce myself, is Moshan.”

“Master Moshan, may I present Mistresses Kellonika, Gythy, Molleena, Haka, and Kordulissa. We are accompanied by Goodman Parrier and young Max here, our local guide since we are of Blackstone. My name is Julina. We are all come down to Tranidor for the first time in our lives, except for Max there who, of course, lives here.”

Master Moshan had started when I mentioned my name, or maybe our home town, and I wondered at that as I finished off my little speech.

His face spread into a grin, which took years off his apparent age as he swept a bow to us all, followed shortly by the rest of his entourage copying him.

“Had I known that Blackstone was the haven of such beauty, I would have visited many years ago! I had the extreme fortune to meet your Baroness when she was here with his Royal Highness, the Prince Keren. A visit when the two of them quite turned the town on its head. And the consequences of those meetings are making themselves felt all over the place.”

He frowned slightly when I nodded my agreement and I could see that he wished to prolong this chat, but for some reason was unable so to do.

“Well, er... um... harrumph! I'm sorry!” he said, as he raised his hat. “I wish you all a pleasant stay and trust you have a wonderful day. Now I regret I must depart in some haste, please do not feel bad about an old man rushing off, I would have loved to have stayed and chatted a while longer. Alas, that is impossible. I am summoned to the Countess in the Castle. I wish you all good day!” He bowed once more to us, and we automatically bobbed small curtsies whilst reciprocating the wishes.

… … …

“And he didn’t have to even acknowledge us at all, but he was gentlemanly in the extreme.”

“And what was his name?”

“Errr… Moshen or something like that.”

There was a gasp from Berdon and Epp.

“My, you are keeping grand company. He is one of the really, really big bigwigs in this town,” explained Berdon. “They say that there is not a single business transaction that takes place anywhere in Tranidor without his involvement in some form or other. He is a shrewd and canny money lender. Rumours are circulating that your Baroness made a strong suggestion for a new form of using money, that would benefit everyone and that Master Moshan is busy investigating that and maybe even setting it up. I wonder if that is why he is off to the Castle?” He was by then more musing to himself than talking to us, so I interrupted the thought process to enable us to move on.

“Well I thought he was a charming old man.”

They both raised their eyebrows at that while I looked across at Mousa and we both shrugged.

The other girls were at another table with Parry and Max, and helping themselves to both pel and food. My tummy complained, gently, because we four at our table had not yet commanded any food, Epp and Berdon wishing to discuss whatever it was Berdon wanted us for, before we started munching.

So we three women all turned and looked at Berdon, the questions loud in our eyes.

“Right then,” he said with a little shuddery movement as he refocussed his thoughts. “To business, then.”

There followed another short pause, as he gathered himself and planned his approach. He kept flicking glances my way, wondering why these two mature women had insisted on a young girl joining them.

“First, I deem I need to provide you with a little background information. Here in Tranidor we number a hand of performing troupes and for the last year or two there has just not been the business to support us all.

“I have been hearing ever more and more about some town called Blackstone which is assuming far greater importance as each week goes by it seems. It occurred further to me that there might be work for us in front of a different audience, an audience that have not seen our repertoire as yet. As a result of all this thinking, I wished to find out more about the town and what is going on there. Maybe 'tis time for us to move our centre of interest.

“It seems to me that there might be an opportunity now to achieve something I have always wanted; to be the unique troupe just for once and, if you deem there to be some future in it, then I should remove us from here up to there, making it easier for the others based here in the process.”

I immediately blurted out “Yes!” even as Mousa and Epp were gathering themselves to launch into explanations.

“Oh yes,” I continued, “we need some entertainment up there. The town has doubled in size since Milady arrived, and it is expected to double again in the Spring. And, already, I have noticed a requirement to keep the newcomers happy, particularly during these long nights. From what Suril has told me, some entertainment would be just the thing.”

Epp and Mousa nodded their agreement and their eyes encouraged me, adding to the positive reaction.

I think my enthusiasm was gratefully received and he was forming already a good opinion, increased as Epp joined in by saying: “The long-term residents of Blackstone have never seen anyone other than a few travelling troubadours and the odd tumbler or two. They have always made their own entertainments and I deem are more than ripe to learn of new ones. You should have seen these girls' faces when they saw those mini plays put on by Legbato and company up at Brayview.”

“Suril?” he queried of me even while nodding to acknowledge Epp's input.

“Yes, he’s the husband of Haka over there, the short, dark-haired mother sitting with the girls. He is the Senior Deputy in Blackstone, reporting to Sheriff Fedren.”

“Senior … Deppitty … did you say? And Sherf?”

Epp jumped in and corrected him: “Dep – you – tee. Deputy. He’s the second in command of our Watch, if you would prefer that way of saying it. The Sheriff, spelt s h e r i f f, is the sort of equivalent of a Watchmaster. Milady suggested this method as a slight improvement on that which existed beforehand.”

“Ah! Much obliged, Mistress Megrozen.”

“Suril is here to discuss matters with the Watch – I know no details, but suspect that it is an initial contact to set up some closer working ties. So, before you and your troupe make the big decision, what is Suril going to find out about you? We cannot accept anyone of doubtful character you will readily understand. There is already sufficient turmoil and possible chaos in a rapidly expanding town, mostly filled with miners.”

“I like to think that we are of good repute!” he said, somewhat stiffly.

“And it is our reputations on the line, should we recommend you and you turn out to be less than truthful in your recent statements,” answered Epp just as stiffly.

Then she mellowed her tone: “And yes, I am of some standing up in Blackstone, as I am here. And Mistress Julina is also important to our Town, in fact she was recently honoured by the Steward no less, for her services to the rapid development and growth. She is no giddy young thing. She has the ear of the Assembly and they tend to do the things she suggests they do. So it is a natural precaution.”

Her voice again hardened: ”If that offends you, then I’m sorry. But also in that case, our business here is done already.”

We could see him re-arrange his thoughts and also see him begin to understand why Epp had insisted I be there for this meeting.

I used this opportunity to ask: “So, Master Berdon, assuming you pass our little tests, pray tell how many of you there are in your ‘troupe’. And what facilities you might need. I confess I have never seen a live entertainment until just the other night with the ‘troupe’ who told me about you, up in the Brayview roadhouse when we celebrated the betrothal of Milady and the Prince.”

“Mistress Julina, we are around a hand of hands. Four pairs of us are married, making eight of the twenty-five. The rest are of varying ages. We all share a bedroom with one other, except the beasts man, he usually has a room of his own, he certainly has an odour of his own! But we occasionally go out and do some shows at the roadhouses, so are used to travel and even camping.”

“Hmm, I think that we can fit you all in, in various places.” I looked at the other two for confirmation as I continued: “I think the four married couples could stay at Em's, they being more suitable upstairs guests than little Haris for when the Salon starts in earnest. And then there is … oh! Hold a heartbeat! You don’t need to all be under one roof do you?”

“Maker, no! If we were, I suspect that there would be explosions of temperament.”

“What about performances – do you require a certain space?”

“We usually create a stage with the backs of our wagons …”

“A stage?”

“Yes. That is what we call the performance floor, which is usually raised up so members of the audience at the back can see over the heads of those in front.”

“Ah! Thank you! A stage. Yes, that makes a certain sort of sense.”

Mousa asked another question which had yet to occur to my mind: “And how long would it be before you could clear up your affairs here in Tranidor, and progress up to Blackstone? The journey alone will take nearly two days of travelling spread out over three days.”

“Mistress Mousa, we have some commitments in both the last week of Zubarek, after the New Year starts, and also in Marash, these commitments being here in town, but we could certainly aim to be in Blackstone for the beginning of Femurin.”

“Well let us tell you that Milady has commissioned a special building to be built, one she calls a community hall. This is for the school lessons we, that is Julina and I in the first instance, ...”

He looked sharply at me once again, his brain absorbing yet another somewhat shocking fact, to him, about me.

“... shall give, and for Assembly Meetings and for dances and the like. I should imagine that you could do your performances in there too. But that is not yet built, so the old ways would probably still be in place until the Summer.”

After Epp finished, I felt it was again my turn to ask a question: “How many different playacts can you do? Does it take long to learn new ones? Where do you get new ones, thinking about it further? If you come up to the very end of the road, you will have far to go to get new ones.”

“My word! You three certainly know your stuff, do you not? I deem I have stumbled upon the right group to ask about Blackstone. But there are some other things, some questions your recent remarks have left burning in my brain. The Salon? School lessons? Community Hall?”

Just then, my stomach gave a very loud growl which made us all realise that time was passing and it was maybe even beyond the right moment to order a little something.

And so it was that we at last got something to eat as we answered his questions and he answered ours.

The other table was beginning to get fractious when we finally split up, having reached agreements in both directions. We agreed that he and his troupe would arrive in Blackstone in order to give a first performance to celebrate the start of Femurin. He accepted that the travelling players we had met at Brayview, Legbato's smaller troupe, would fulfil their agreement to come to town and give a performance in the month of Marash, probably several performances to make it worth their while to do such a long journey, and he approved of their abilities.

“They will do well to create an appetite for us!”

We agreed that after his arrival, and after proving that his talents would be an asset, then we would do all we can to persuade the Assembly that they should be our resident entertainers. We repeated that this would be once they had impressed the others with their abilities. From then on the only other troupes would have to be travellers. We could not guarantee total exclusivity of course, but Berdon pointed out that the logistics would dissuade a full troupe from doing anything since there would be no space for them to become residents as well – yet. If the town grew enormously, then there might be place for a second troupe.

Berdon and his wife, Bettayla, would travel up to town with us and stay over the Midwinter's Feast before returning on the shuttle. That way they could see the town for themselves. If they liked what they saw, then the agreements we made would all fall into place.

Epp and I also picked up another short list of names to track down and talk to. These people were possible teachers that might be persuaded to remove to Blackstone, but teachers that Berdon knew and would recommend. There was one that we detected he was unsure about, but I doubt he noticed our noticing that, he was busy at the time thinking about other names.

… … …

“Oh those are pretty! I had never thought of glass as jewellery.”

“The colours in this one change, look!”

“What a lovely necklace. I wish I could afford it.”

“It's sensible that these are smooth, solid glass shapes; if there were bits sticking out, they might catch and break easily.”

Max had been right, this cave of treasures was not a place we would be able to leave easily. Everywhere I looked, one of our group was examining and gasping at something on one of the display modules. I caught a glimpse at one point of Master Bormio and he was smiling as he took in the scene.

Not a predator's smile, but one of genuine enjoyment at us enjoying his creations.

When I had first met him, something inside me twisted and I felt almost feverish when I was near him. I realised that my body was reacting to him as Molly's had to any man. I felt an increased sympathy for poor Molly to have to cope with these feelings almost every moment. But my eyes were drawn back to him, time and time again. And it appeared to me, that his eyes were drawn to me almost as often.

Epp, naturally, picked up on what was happening and whispered to Mousa. One or both of them stuck closely to my side for the three or four years, or so it seemed, we were inside his shop – a small display room that fronted onto the street and hid the heat of the glassworks themselves from the passers by, many of whom stuck their noses onto the new clear glass windows that were so similar to those Master Pocular had introduced to Blackstone.

I realised what an amazing advantage he enjoyed by being able to display his wares to anyone going by but still able to keep them relatively securely, access being only through the shop door. I am sure the novelty of such a shop front also added to the crowd gathered on the pavement before his establishment; a crowd which was frustrating some members of the Watch as it spilled onto the roadway, the very roadway that was the busiest of all Tranidor, being the one to and from the East Bridge – the eastern extension of Cross Street. We had to push our way through the gawping throng and into the shop itself, a task that was by no means easy.

“Good day Mistresses all, and young Masters. How can I be of service today? My name is Bormio and I am a Master Glassmaker, as you will soon discover when you see what I have to offer. To make these wonderful clear windows, I worked closely with my neighbour, a Master Blacksmith named Mikash, and we have developed that relationship to make things of both glass and metal. Things at which I know you are about to marvel. There is nothing in the world of glass that you will not find here.”

I snorted at that, thinking of my hand-mirror back in my room at Epp's, and that's what drew his eyes to me, and my eyes met his and that's when the shivery sort of feeling up and down my spine really started. It took a little while, and a quick pretend showing of a hand mirror, for the others to catch on to what had made me snort and they all joined in, much to Master Bormio's disconcertedness.

“So you feel there is something that I do NOT have?”

“Oh yes!” we all chorused, the others all looking at me as they did so.

So he looked at me, (shivers), and cocked an eyebrow in enquiry.

I was just about to tell him, when something held me back – had the Exclusivity Licence been awarded yet? So I just shook my head and lowered my eyes.

He became quite insistent but none of the others would say anything, particularly after I glared at them all. The moment soon passed as the girls all spied something they needed to inspect and Master Bormio's attention was drawn away since he needed to keep an eye on us all.

Now we females, of course I can only speak for Blackstone females, celebrate the arrival of our Calls by having the lobes of our ears pierced, so we are always on the lookout for new ear dangles – and none of us had ever seen anything like the ones that were on offer in this marvellous shop. I questioned the sensibility of there being glass bracelets, surely bracelets take many knocks and I felt glass ones would shatter very quickly, but there were also some nice necklaces.

Ooh! In fact there was a magnificent one that was perfect for Swayga. I checked with Kords and with Mousa and Epp and they agreed with me. Kords and I discussed which ear dangles would be good for our younger sisters and then I realised that they would have to be paid for, so I needed to take Epp to one side and explain I had my money hidden back at her house, and ask her how should I deal with this slight problem.

“Oh my dear, don't worry. We simply order what we want to buy, and he shall have them delivered to my house. I shall give the delivery man the money and obtain a receipt from him, and that will be that. You girls can then give me the money you will then owe me. But, I make a big point here, all of you! Are you listening? Be sure you can afford whatever it is you are ordering!”

While Epp was talking to the others, I gestured to Mousa and Molly and they came over to me.

I whispered: “We need to choose something from here for Epp as a thank you for arranging this trip for us. I shall expect each of you to contribute so don't let the others go spending their entire hoards of coin on themselves. And I want you two to suggest or even choose something for Epp. If you can pass the word around without letting Epp get to know, we can all agree on something and find out what our individual commitments shall be, then that would be best, I deem.”

They nodded their agreement and went off to spread the word, and I could see the further little nods of agreement as each of the others got the message. A vague idea had seeded itself in my head and I quickly made my choices which I conveyed to Kords, who gave her approval by the way, and then I dragged Epp outside the shop, through the still gawping throng outside, and, in a place of relative peace, told her what I had thought. She deemed it a good idea, so the two of us made hastily to the nearest Semaphore Station, which was across the East Bridge on the far bank of the river.

… … …

“ 'MR' is our coded way of saying 'Master' and 'MS' stands for 'Mistress'. 'GM' is Goodman and so on. That way we can shorten the messages. There are many others of course, but as you asked about 'MR', I replied in that relevancy.”

“Thank you, GM Salien,” I replied with a grin as I used the abbreviation of his title, a grin that was returned freely, “so tell me the whole message you send, if it pleases?”

He went one better than that and rapidly copied from his sheet, paper of course, onto another that I could take with me. I reproduce it here …

“TRAE BLAM P2 MS Julina - MR2 Pocular, Kordulen. Has hand-held mirror got Exclusivity Licence? Wish discuss with glassman here, only if design protected. RYTO 160038.”

Underneath, he had written some extra information: 160038 – MS Julina at MS Megrozen, South Point, TRA.

“So,” Goodman Salien went on to explain, “The message always starts with two four-letter groups. These state where the message is going from and to, in that order. TRAE is Tranidor East Bridge – TRAC is Tranidor Castle and TRAW is Tranidor West Bridge – TRA is the accepted code for Tranidor, just as BLA is for Blackstone. So BLAM is for Blackstone Main. All towns or regions have a three-letter code, what we call a TLA which means a 'Three Letter Abbreviation'. PAL is Palarand City, HAL is Haligo, HOL is Holville, TEL is Teldor and so on.”

He looked at us and we nodded to show we understood him.

“P, followed by a number from 0 to 3, is the message description and urgency, where P means 'Personal' and 3 is the highest priority, and therefore the most expensive. An M is for 'Military' and so on. Then comes always who it is from followed by who it is to. In this case from Mistress Julina to two Masters, Pocular and Kordulen. All this is, if you like, the heading of the message. This is then followed by the message itself, followed then, sometimes, by a final phrase.

“So your message reads Tranidor East Bridge to Blackstone Main, Priority 2, Mistress Julina to Master Pocular and Master Kordulen. Has hand-held mirror got Exclusivity Licence? Wish discuss with glassman here, only if design protected.”

He paused for a sip of water before asking: “That is all clear so far, right? Only that final phrase to explain now.”

We nodded.

“RYTO is a standard code which means 'Reply To' so when a reply comes, we have some knowledge of where to send the urchin with the reply. The number is today's date, the 16th, followed by the number of the message sent today, so yours is the 38th. In this case it shall be sent to you, Mistress Julina, at the house of Mistress Megrozen, which is situated at South Point, Tranidor. Because we have included a reply to address, the operators at Blackstone Main know that a reply is expected. Had we left that off, then they would treat it as information only. The content of this message intrigues me though. Are you at liberty to explain what a hand-held mirror is and why it involves a glassmaker?”

“I regret I cannot do so at this moment, I'm sorry.”

His face fell and then he said “Very well” in a most disappointed tone.

I tried to cheer him up with a wide smile but I'm not sure how successful it was.

“Thank you SO much!” I gushed at Goodman Salien as we paid, well Epp did, and then left to scurry back across the bridge and battle our way through hordes of people, or so it seemed, many struggling with heavy carry bags and the like. It was not easy to simply walk.

Once back in the glass store, where the others had begun to fret, I tried to keep my eyes down but couldn't resist a sly peek at Master Bormio, only to blush as my eyes looked straight at his. I turned my back as soon as was polite and it was not long before we ushered ourselves out and headed back towards the Market Place, all chatting excitedly about what we had seen. Our progress was no swifter than when Epp and I came across the bridge just now and it was getting tiresome. The constant noise, and the press of people were starting to get on my nerves. I sensed that the others felt the same way.

I could feel another thought start in the ideas region of my brain, one that I knew would have to let cook for a while.

We followed the main road, Cross Street, which joins the two bridges in a straight line, until we got to a larger cleared area. This was where the road from the Castle, called Main Street, and the road between the bridges, Cross Street, intersected; Main Street continuing south to the Market Place. At the intersection there was what was in effect a large square area and the traffic was immense. This square bore the name Junction Square. To the untrained eye, like ours, it was sheer chaos. As we approached from the east, we were walking along the north side of the street, the Castle side if you like. In the north-east corner of Junction Square was a familiar building to us.

Familiar in size, shape and function to us, but not familiar in knowledge of it!

It was the identical twin of the shuttle shed up in Blackstone.

So we couldn't resist having a peek into it and we all saw that inside it had an identical layout, just slightly different notices hanging up. It made us all have a little pang of homesickness, except Max and maybe Epp. It also made a little twitch in that idea centre of my brain.

Nervously we scurried across the square and made our way southwards down Main Street as it sloped gently down to the Market Place, again an awkward progress with the number of burden-carrying people that abounded.

Epp and I were leading and we laughed as we saw an irate wagoneer shout at a couple of urchins who hopped up on the back of his wagon as he laboured up the hill, trying to catch a free ride.

We were just talking about that when …

“Eeek!” came a voice I immediately recognised as Molly's.

This was swiftly followed by a sort of slap and then: “Ow! You little basta...”.

The man's voice shut off abruptly with a high-pitched squeak.
As mentioned, I had been in the lead with Epp when the kerfuffle broke out behind us. Whirling round, I saw Parrier nursing his right hand and wincing slightly and I saw a scruffy, vaguely thuggy-looking stranger lying on the ground with Suril smiling down at him.

A smile that was apparently very frightening to the recipient.

Molly was also looking down at the man and then smiled very sweetly at him: “Try to steal my purse, would you? Now shall I hand you over to this nice Watchman …”

Her eyes narrowed, her mouth set in a frightening feral grin and she hissed at him as she continued: “ … or shall I deal with you myself?”

I looked down and her foot was resting lightly just where his legs met. I suppressed a smile despite being shocked.

But suddenly I remembered something and flashed my eyes around. Sure enough, there was another suspicious character with a hand stretched towards Kelly's purse and carry bag.

Before I could react, Suril's voice shot out at such a tone that it seemed to echo inside each of us: “And if your colleague there moves his hand any further forward towards Mistress Kellonika's belongings, I shall castrate him before doing the same to you. Neither of you are quick enough to escape. And young Goodman Parrier there, despite his aching hand after punching you, is also quick enough to catch either of you should you choose to try to escape.”

The one behind Kelly turned and ran. He got only three paces before Suril tripped him and there was a squeal from the one lying down, now clutching himself and with tears running down his cheeks.

“I know sometimes we ladies like you men to take your time, but this once you were really far too slow.” She shook her head in a pitying way.

Mousa then knelt beside him and said clearly into one ear: “Not a good idea to mess with a mother's child when the mother is nearby … and is more ferocious than her sweet little baby. And has a very sharp knife, very sharp indeed. One little swish, and someone loses his sausage. Don't even think of moving.”

If I had thought the man was pale before that, then I was mistaken. THIS was the definition of pale, even through his agony. He froze his position.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two men approaching, in an exaggeratedly casual way. A small crowd had gathered around us and these two shouldered their way through with little hindrance, indeed the crowd appeared to show them some deference.

It was the taller who spoke first.

“Evening all!” He stood with his hands behind his back and bobbed slightly up and down with a flex of his knees. “What have we here, then?”

He looked around, in no hurry whatsoever, confident in his natural authority.

“Seems to me, Master Dicksen, that our light-fingered little friends Pick and Pocket have tried to accost the wrong group,” said his companion.

“I deem you have the right of it, Master Dokker. And we know these two that are creating an obstacle on his Lordship's sidewalk rather well, do we not?”

“Indeed we do, Master Dicksen, indeed we do.”

“I deem that the last punishment meted out to them must have been insufficient of an incentive for them to mend their ways. Perchance we should ask Master Suril here if he might have a suggestion as to how to proceed?”

“An excellent suggestion, Master Dicksen. Most excellent indeed.”

The two looked over at Suril who had persuaded the second thief to lie on the sidewalk by the first one's feet.

“Masters Dicksen and Dokker, would you perchance have some rope about your persons? Rope is better than using their own belts, although the belts would suffice if it came to it. Four to six short pieces maybe a stride in length would be perfect.”

Master Dicksen just cast a glance at one of the onlookers and he dashed off, returning after maybe a moment with the specified lengths of rope. A moment of complete and utter silence from everyone around, except for a poorly suppressed groan from thief number 1.

“Thank you Goodman Korder. I'm glad to see you recognise your civic duty still.”

Suril bent down and tied one end of a piece of rope around each of thief number 2's wrists. He then aligned the hands with the feet of thief number 1, by the simple expedient of dragging them there, ignoring the protests of the man, who dare not struggle since Molly was again resting her foot on his most vulnerable point. Suril swiftly tied the ropes round the ankles so that the two men were now joined together, left wrist to left ankle, right to right.

“They won't be going anywhere in a hurry now.”

He stood up and gestured Molly away, as he moved to the upper part of number 1. He attached a further rope to each of number 1's wrists, and then requested Parry to help him drag number 1 upright, standing slightly off balance due to his ankles being tied to the other man.

“So you see Master Dicksen, a gentle pull like this ...” he and Parry jerked the ropes so that number 1 fell forward, on top of number 2, accompanied by a great gasp from both men, and several of the onlookers, “... means that these two men are now a little more intimate with each other than they ever imagined they would be. By tying HIS wrists to number 2's ankles, like this, the only way for them to move now is to roll sideways. Of course, as each face is buried now in the crotch of his accomplice, they may not wish to indulge in any motion that might cause an increased pressure into their nether regions, particularly as it would be their faces doing the pressing.”

A titter ran round the ever-increasing crowd. I noticed Masters Dokker and Dicksen were laughing in their eyes, but still maintaining their strict seriousness.

“The extra two lengths of rope, for which I must thank Goodman Korder ...” he nodded in the man's direction, “... may be used for securing the two bodies more closely together, or for joining the two bodies to a tethering post or a fence or so on.”

“Now of course it is necessary to look after the well-being of our prisoners as you well know. So therefore, what I usually do is go and find some comfortable form of transport to take the miscreants to the Watch-house. Now I cannot be blamed, if, in my absence whilst searching for a handy dray or wagon or similar, then passing grenns use this unusual pile for a toilet, or if chamberpots are upturned on the pile or something like that, now can I? In trying to make my prisoners existence slightly more comfortable, I can't be in two places at a time. And if I stumble across some other miscreants in the process of their antisocial behaviours, and I require to take some time dealing with THEM, then I can't be blamed for failing to return here in short order, can I?”

A full blown laugh came from the crowd at that.

“And if my duties elsewhere create a priority, or maybe I suffer a blow to the head or something like that that drives the memory of what I did to these miscreants from my immediate recall, then surely that is a purely human reaction? I should imagine that being left like this over a cold winter's night wouldn't be very comfortable at all. And might just teach the miscreants a lesson that they remember, huh? Remember for a very, very, very, very long time. Wouldn't you agree, you two down there.”

This last was said with a heavy, menacing emphasis and the two on the ground started to nod their agreement until they realised what their faces were doing to the other. This brought forward a further round of laughter from the onlookers.

Suril turned to us then: “Maybe, Mistress Megrozen, you should all repair to the 'Nest' for some pel, before making your way home. The light is beginning to fade. I'm sure these two officers and I can finish this off now.”

So it was that we took Suril up on his suggestion, and we all soon sank gratefully into an easy chair in the little restaurant, discussing first the recent events and then the entirety of the afternoon since we left here. Outside the day was slowly winding down. More heavily-laden passers-by could be seen trudging wearily home, and some children were playing in the street, traffic permitting, making use of the dwindling daylight.

At one point I caught sight of a now-familiar look on Molly's face and I gently queried her with an eyebrow.

She grinned back and simply said: “It is the evening of the day. I sit and watch the children play. Smiling faces I can see … and I am working on the next line, there is something about you that has a hidden melancholy and my thoughts are tending towards a sad line. As always, I shall let you know.”

I was shocked that some of my inner sadness had been so obvious but then she was my closest friend.

Just then she snapped her fingers and said: “Smiling faces I can see, but not for me. I sit and watch as tears go by.”

“You really are a very clever girl, my dear. That sounds very good. Sad, yes. But nevertheless good.”

After a refreshing half-bell, it was time for us to get up and move on. We were all tired after so much walking - tinkle, tinkle, that thought in my head wriggled a little more – and we were looking forward to a hot bath and a restful evening.

We bustled out onto the street and bumped into a strange man, one dressed quite shabbily in worn clothes that had once been good. He turned his face to us and his unshaven face suddenly twisted into a grimace of hate. The raw emotion on display was so shocking it took us all back. However, something about the encounter drove any other thought from my head, and my brain started worrying at it. Molly, Gyth and Kelly all had a similar look on their faces, and they were all wondering at the same thing from then on until we were in the bath, all four of us relaxing together, along with Kords.

It was Kelly who 'solved' the problem. She gasped and sat up suddenly, sploshing waves around amidst some cries of protest.

“That man! The one outside the 'Nest'. It was that assistant to that Guildmaster Horran. You know the one, the one that he wanted to have arrested.”

She giggled suddenly: “Remember his language, the Guildmaster's? Maker, he was incensed wasn't he? Now what was the assistant's name? I am amazed to find I have forgotten it. I would never have believed that to be possible.”

“Brethan, no - Brathan!” I breathed.


up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah,,Dixon of Dock Green and

Ah,,Dixon of Dock Green and Marrianne Faithful in one episode -- you amaze me.
Jack Warner . Alas lost to us all for a long time.
wonderful stuff.

The plot thickens

Hope Julina does not go for the glassmaker. Sounds like puppy love really and he is Much older than she is I think. Plus, Blackstone needs her!

Oh and I betcha Brathan would rue the day he ran into them when he gets caught as he 'would have gotten away with it if not for those pesky kids' :)

Sometimes getting humiliated

Sometimes getting humiliated and laughed at is worse punishment than that meted out by a court. Looks like the two pick pockets are finding this out the hard way. Hopefully, the girls can get Brathan arrested before he disappears again.