Eve - Chapter 37

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 37
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
Previously:

Yesterday, at court, they'd seen Eve's nemesis sent to a Young Offenders Institute on a charge of attempted murder. His father was bailed pending trial, his aunt sent to the cells for dissent.

Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 37
 
 
I was up at seven, unable to sleep any more. When I walked downstairs in my dressing gown I saw a few items of post on the mat inside the front door. We'd come back in through the kitchen door last night and had missed it, there were two envelopes for me.

Both were marked NHS but were from different addresses, the first was a new medical card with my revised name. The second was a staff parking permit for the hospital, I suppose that was easier than using the busy public parking area. There was also an envelope for the refund of any recent parking receipts. I decided to deal with that later.

Mum had wandered down while I was sorting the post, she went towards a small flashing red light that I'd not seen. Mum pressed the play button:

"Hello Eve, this is Dr Fox. I have agreement in principle to see you at your GP surgery but the surgery wants to establish appointment dates in advance and we don't currently have any slots booked. I hope this helps."

Some help indeed, I'm no better off but at least they know I was justified in being angry. I picked up a mug of coffee mum had just made after putting the radio on to fill the silence then made some toast to satisfy a growling stomach, I'd not been too heavy on the pizza last night, my appetite having taken a day off.

After showering I just managed to grab a kiss and a cuddle with Claire as she and Annie headed to school. It felt like an empty day, mum had an appointment after lunch with her shrink, otherwise it was clear. She retreated to the utility room to do some laundry and I picked up on the housework. I then spent half an hour checking emails and installing Skype on my new laptop. I found Claire in the directory and sent her a request.

Mum and I reconvened at lunch, after taking only one coffee break. The morning's post was sitting on the kitchen table, mum was looking at a bank statement.

"Eve, I'm going to have to go back to work sooner than I thought. we've spent too much money recently and I don't want to cash in my investments, but if I don't have income soon then that's exactly what I'll have to do."

"Mum, you know I'll help."

"I know, but I want to support us, that is my responsibility, not your's. Can you get last week's local paper, so I can check the vacancies?"

I walked into the lounge and picked it up, but I wasn't really sure who'd bought it. Mum opened it at the jobs page, the recession was definitely affecting the number of available jobs, but one advert stood out.

School Bursar required
Must have financial amd management experience.
Will be responsible for a small support team.
Application form & details from St Peter's Comprehensive and Sixth Form College
Applicants will be subject to police checks.

Mum stared at the advert for a minute, cogs turning in her head. I was very unsure, the previous occupant of that job was the aunt of a pupil. I was not keen on my mum being on the premises every day. That was quite apart from her current mental state.

The phone rang and I reached for it.

"Miss Jones?"

"Yes."

"It's the headteacher's secretary, Mr Spinner would like to see you before the end of the week if possible."

"Has he said why?"

"Only that it's to do with your return to school. He'd also like your mother present, how about Thursday morning?"

"I think that's ok. What time?"

"Ten?"

"Right."

I turned to mum and shrugged, it was an odd co-incidence that the school should ring but I don't believe in co-incidences, I wrote the appointment on the calendar, the week was starting to fill up.

We used frozen bread to make some sarnies for lunch, after defrosting it of course. I was beginning to think that a bread maker might be a good idea as we were indoors much of the time, then I remembered that I was back at school at the start of November, under three weeks from now.

Mum and I drove to the hospital to see Dr Masters after clearing lunch away. It was strange to use the staff carpark but it was closer to the buildings so no argument there. Of course, it was my turn to sit in the waiting room while mum saw her shrink. I was in a world of my own when my name was called.

"Err, yeah?"

"Could you join us, Eve?"

I walked in and sat next to mum, placing my hands on my lap.

"I understand you have had an eventful couple of days, including quite a shock for your mum?"

"I suppose so, but things just happen, they're not planned."

"That's okay, your mum doesn't appear to have any lasting effects. Congratulations by the way."

"Thanks. Is that all?"

"No, I'd ask that you support your mum and try not to stress her. Can you be back here next Tuesday?"

"I'll do what I can, Tuesday is fine."

"Thank you, I'll see you both then."

We walked back to the car and drove home. Mum told me that he'd simply asked for an account of the time since she left hospital, in particular any talks with her family and close friends.

Once indoors mum asked me about learning to drive.

"Of course, what do we have to do?"

"We'll go into town tomorrow and pick up an application form for a provisional licence, in fact we'll pick up a couple more in case Sharon doesn't have any for the girls."

"But, what do I put down for gender? I'm still legally male despite everything."

"We'll work that one out dear."

"But what do we have to do?" I was crying by now.

"Eve, dear, I don't know. We'll have to talk to Dr Preston. What did he say last week?"

"That he'd be writing to me."

"Nothing more?"

"I asked to be seen at St Saviour's instead of there." I waved my arm in the general direction of the hospital.

Mum sat next to me and I started sobbing again, what was happening to me? I felt so vulnerable. Claire must have crept in and she took mum's place. I laid against her and fell asleep.

I was woke around four, Claire took me to the bathroom to tidy up my face, of course I need the loo as well, but neither of us had any reason for privacy when it was just us. When we got back to the lounge Claire handed me an thick A4 envelope, I opened it to find at least a week's worth of coursework. Annie was supposed to handle this for now, but it wasn't a good time to argue; I decided that killing the messenger would normally be easier but I simply couldn't manage that, not this time.

"Who's joke is this?"

"Come on Eve. I managed to persuade them that last week's work wasn't done because of problems ...."

"But did you say you forgot to give it to me?"

"No, they never asked that."

"So they've given me double?"

"They did say something about catching up. It's got to be in by Monday morning, sooner if possible. They also said there could be more on Friday."

"Thanks, just don't expect to see too much of me before it's finished." I tried to use some dry humour but it wasn't received that way.

"Do you mean that?"

"Claire, if I want to get back to school then I have to do it, no choice. It's Tuesday now so I've got to get cracking straight away."

"Well, if that's how you feel!"

Claire got up and walked out. I burst into tears, I'd blown it two days into our engagement. At least she hadn't returned the ring, yet. Mum had heard the kitchen door slam and came into the lounge to see me crying. She got the story from me and said she'd speak to Sharon.

"No, don't."

"Look, Claire needs to be talked to."

"Maybe, but let me handle it. Regardless what was said, I really do have to do this work. There'll be a few words said over there as Annie was supposed to collect the coursework and Claire didn't apologise, the school will think it's my fault. But it still doesn't matter, the work is there to be done."

"I still think someone should talk."

"I will, later. She'll have calmed down by then."

"If you're sure?"

"I am."

I took the envelope and went upstairs. There was a mixed bag of work from each subject area, although there was some obvious overlaps. Much of the work so far had been a rehash of the work we'd done just before the exams in May. With students joining the sixth form from other schools, there had to be some levelling up to account for differing teaching methods, that's what we'd heard anyway.

I worked for two hours before my eyes were starting the stream. The light had started to go after half five so I was working using my spot lamp, never a good idea for prolonged work. It's not that I really had a choice.

Mum called me for dinner just after six and we ate quietly. I watched the national and local news while we ate so I had an idea of the current major stories. I headed back upstairs and worked until nine, I was just about to switch off my laptop when Claire called me via Skype.

"Sorry."

"Claire, I'm sorry too."

"What do yo have to be sorry about, I'm the one who messed up."

"Look, I was a bit abrupt with you."

"I got into all sorts of trouble when mum found out, and I'm not talking to Annie right now."

"Claire, get over it. We all make mistakes. Why don't we go for a ride when you get back from school tomorrow. Ill have spent all day on my school work so I'll need a break by four."

"That's asound good, but I'm out at two-thirty as last lesson is just a study period, so we'll say three!"

We declared our undying love for each other, several times, before cutting the connection. I went downstairs having finally shut down my laptop and joined mum. She'd had enough of the night's telly so we made some hot choocolate. I was tired but happier.

up
270 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

heightened emotions

well, that would make sense if she's getting more female hormones ...

DogSig.png