Who Was I - 10

Printer-friendly version

In which Bill and Becky read the Neurologists report and start at learning the implications.

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor


strong>Part 10   Friday Morning (27-Oct-06) - Continuing where we left off...

[Author's Note: Here's what Bill and Becky read. Perhaps you should look over their shoulders and catch up. I should also note that as far as I know, getting the depth of detail I'm assuming here from a CAT Scan, Dr. Johanson's report and conclusions aren't actually supportable in today's technology. Hey, maybe I'm wrong and one of you will tell me. The information may be available through additional testing (MRIs, etc.) but that sounds kind of booring to me so I'm cutting things short. Please forgive me.]

 

Medical Report

Patient: Mr. L. Wyman
Referred by: Dr. F. Broadhurst
Re: Rule out Neurological Cause to Extended Memory Loss

I first met Mr. Wyman at my office on Thursday, October 12, 2006. At that time, he described his memory loss and the lack of family report of any head or neck trauma. Blood work and a detailed CAT scan were ordered.

The result of the blood work showed normal levels of expected constituents.

The initial CAT scan results showed a mass of scar tissue near the base of the Medulla. Scar tissue was internal with no evidence of external scaring that would have been present had the internal scarring been due to some form of trauma. Scarring is consistent with one of the following:
    1) Surgical removal of a tumor
    2) Burning as a result of shock treatment
    3) Direct application of several corrosive agents.
Based on appearance of surrounding tissue and the area of scarring seen in the scan, I would estimate that the scarring occurred between 25 and 35 years in the past. Greater accuracy would require direct examination of the tissue and perhaps a biopsy.

Based on the apparent health of the surrounding tissue and lack of any other evidence of the presence of a tumor, the first option above is highly unlikely. I would judge the other two options unlikely as well as they would have been applied to a patient between about 5 and 15 years of age. Again, if the actual cause is needed, direct examination of the tissue would probably be needed.

One last point, Mr. Wyman's brain development is inconsistent with a right handed male. Assuming he was left handed and forced to live right handed might account for some of the inconsistencies.

At this point, I don't believe further testing would provide any significant new information. It would at most refine the information we currently have but not in sufficient detail to change the sustance of the report.

In conclusion, none of the things noted would cause the kind of memory loss described. It is possible that they are indicators of some other event that did cause the loss but the evidence is not sufficient to support this conclusion.

Submitted:
October 27, 2006
Stephen Johanson, MD, PhD

 

Now back to our story.

"Becky, don't go ballistic on us. At least not yet."

"Yet" she almost yelled, "What do you mean by YET!"

I put my arm around her. "Flo, perhaps you should talk to us some. This is a bit to take in, and a whole lot more disturbing than what Dr. Johanson said when I saw him at the beginning of the week!"

"I know Bill. I talked with him yesterday afternoon after reading his report and cover letter. That's one reason Dr. Flynn is here with us now, rather than waiting for your regularly scheduled appointment this afternoon. I hope you'll forgive me for getting your time switched for this morning. I also want you to know that I hadn't gotten this when we talked yesterday!"

"Okay Flo, but what does it all mean? All the words make sense, but not in relation to me!"

"Really Flo, I find this report VERY disturbing. Why wouldn't Bill's parents have mentioned one of those three things happening? Are you SURE that Dr. Johanis is any good? I mean this doesn't make sense!"

"Becky, that's Johanson not that changes things. I've known Stephen since school. He's one of the tops in his field. He prefers practice to lecture, though he's got open invitations to join the faculty in several of the top schools in the country. If he says it's true, then it is. But, he didn't put all of his thoughts into the report. He included some in a cover letter to me, and I think he's still not including all of his conclusions. Here, read his letter too. You can take his speculation there as seriously as the report you've already read. Bill, I'm really sorry this is coming at you this way but I think getting it all at once is probably better than a bit at a time!"

"Okay Flo, but it bothers me a bit that he told you this, and left a lot of it out of what he told me in the office."

"I can understand your angst at that Bill. But, he said the reason was that he knew it had some very disturbing elements, and he felt that you might find it less upsetting from me." At which point, she handed us both copies of a letter.

[Author's Note: Here's the letter. Same caveat as above. This is even more fictional.]

 

Cover Letter

Dear Flo,

I must say that Mr. Wyman posed some interesting problems.

As you'll see in my report, there is some scar tissue at the base of his brain. In and of itself, I don't believe this could account for the memory loss. What is disturbing to me are the possible causes of the scar tissue. I'll do some more checking to see if I can find anything else that would be consistent with my findings. We might be able to determine more by doing a biopsy of the tissue and or opening him up and looking but I hesitate to suggest this at this time.

One further surprise was the apparent development of Mr. Wyman's brain. As I state in the report, it's not consistent with how he presents himself. What is surprising is that it's not consistent with any normal growth pattern. The only tentative explanation I can come up with is that his development started one way, at an early age, something between 7 and 12, certainly before puberty, his development changed drastically. Then, slowly over the past decade or so, it seems to be returning to whatever his original development was. I've seen similar initial patterns in those individuals that were forced to change from left to right handed as children but they do not show the shifting back of the development pattern.

At Mr. Wyman's request, I forwarded a copy of the report, but not this letter to Dr. Flynn in your office. Hopefully you get a chance to talk to her before she talks with Mr. Wyman. I'm not sure what to tell you about my suppositions above as far as telling him. The evidence I have for a lot of it is very subjective in nature and based on my experience.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance, and as I said, I'll look for another explanation for Mr. Wyman's scarring.

Your Friend,
Stephen

 

Now back to our regularly scheduled story.

Becky was sitting there opening and closing her mouth, as if she couldn't figure out what to say. I'm afraid I wasn't in much better condition just sitting there not saying much of anything.

"Bill? You still with us?" I guess my glassy eyed stare was giving me away. I shook myself a bit.

"Umm, I guess so. This is a LOT to take in right now. How come you're so calm about it?"

"Two reasons actually Bill. First it's not me. But the bigger reason is I've had most of a day to digest this."

"Well, what do you think about this now?" Becky responded. "I mean if we discount the cancer surgery as the doctor suggests, we're left with two VERY disturbing options. Does either make any sense to you? I mean, he was a KID at the time! He was about Genny's age!"

"Becky, Bill. I find the whole thing disturbing. But, I have to ask you a question now. Do you still want to find out what happened? A lot has happened since then. Just dealing with knowing something horrible happened may be disturbing enough."

"Flo, I don't know about Bill, but if someone did something to him that caused his memory loss, I want them!"

"Easy Beck, I'm still me you know, even if I don't know what happened. But yes Flo, I think it's even more important that I find out what happened! If some doctor did this to me, he may have done it to someone else. And then WHY? Why hurt a kid?"

We went on talking for another hour or so. After a bit it became apparent, to Flo and Susan anyway, that we were talking in circles. I suspect that's why Dr. Flynn stepped in. "Mr. and Mrs. Wyman, you've gotten a lot of information today. Some of it has been very disturbing. I think you may want to take a bit of time and think about it and then talk together some more. Mr. Wyman, I can give you another session Monday morning, if you think it'd be helpful, and Mrs. Wyman, I'm sure Flo or someone else on the staff could spend some time with you. I think it would help you both to work through what your thoughts are about this on your own, and together. A person doesn't find this kind of stuff out every day!"

"Ummm. Yea Dr. Flynn, I think that might be a good Idea."

"Flo, I'd like to work though this on my own a bit, if you don't mind. I'll give you a call, if I need to chat. However, we've not even discussed what to do about Bill's memories and Dr. Wong."

"No Becky, we've not discussed that. And, at this point, until Bill and you decide whether to go forward or not, I don't think we need to, do you?"

"Not really Flo. But, why might we not want to go forward and find out what happened?”

“Well, now I’ve had time to think about Dr. Johanson’s notes a bit more than you have. And, if it wasn’t surgery that caused the scar tissue, the other two options don’t sound like something that could be done accidentally. That makes me wonder who and why it was done. I’m sure there are many people when faced with that consideration might decide they really don’t want to know. The old ignorance is bliss thing.” I guess she could see that bit finally sinking in to both of us, because she continued “Just remember, whatever you decide, I’ll be here to help! And, I’m sure you have other friends that would be just as willing to help if the decision is to go forward!”

“Wow Flo, I think I’m glad you added that last little bit. Are there any OTHER little bombs you want to drop on me today?”

“No Bill, I think that’s quite enough. I just wanted you to hear it here and not think of it over the weekend, say in the middle of the night. You two both do need to get some sleep as well this weekend. It won’t do you much good, I know easy for me to say, to spend all your time thinking and talking in circles. It also won’t do the kids much good. One of them would be sure to notice.” She said this last smiling. She knows our kids too well and, I guess she’s right that just one would be likely to notice. The other two tend to be less observant.

“Thanks Flo, and that last point is telling, we’d best tell her something, so she doesn’t worry the other two. And, we do have a lot to think about this weekend don’t we Bill.” I just shook my head in agreement. It’s been a LOT to take in!

“Well Bill, how about you and I go and get a light lunch and then head for home. I'll call in sick for the rest of the day. And we can talk when we need.”

“Yea, that sounds good Beck. Thanks Flo & Dr. Flynn.”

Flo gave us both hugs, and I realized this disturbed her too. When we got to Dr. Flynn she nodded, and shook our hands as we were leaving. “Be well you too, and remember we’re here for you at any time!”


To Be Continued… ? What will Bill do?
 
[Author’s Note: Well, hopefully you have more information now, and the way you got it didn’t disturb you. How will they go forward? Will they hesitate? Is it full speed ahead? And if so, where do they go from here? Seems the more answers we get, the more questions there are. Please comment... Your comments and messages are the only way I know whether it's enjoyed or not, and if there are issues you have, with what parts. Thanks and sorry to beg.

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Who Was I - 10

If something happened during his youth, Bill's parents should know about it. It sounds very underhand to me and something his parents must have agreed to. I hope it doesn't affect Bill's thoughts of his parents.

Hugs

Karen

Bad advice

This is beginning to sound like his parents got bad advice from some so-called expert. It was all for the child's own good of course. Nothing at all to do with advancing the doctor's own career or theories. The child doesn't need to know anything about it. I could be wrong but it is beginning to look that way. Stranger would be if they really don't know anything as if they too were memory wiped.
You certainly have us guessing!
hugs!
grover

I hate this...

NoraAdrienne's picture

For some reason, this is reminding me of stories of kids who are I.S. and their parent are the ones who decide whether they are having a boy or a girl.. not giving a damn about how the baby or young child will feel when they grow up and wonder what is wrong with them.

MY FIRST COMMENT ANNETTE

This is really getting interesting, but I'm wondering why his brother hasn't been contacted, and or other relations.
The suspicion of a female cousin, or was it Bill?
Bill hasn't done any searches yet, what about old neighbours.
I know I'm going to find out as you have finished the story, so I'm back to see what happens.

Can't wait!!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita