Tamara's Debut - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Five

 

by Shiraz

 

 
Friday 21st November
 

The day started gently with little discussion between Tammy and Sarah, but once breakfast was out of the way Tammy rode to the shop with faux aunt. After about an hour of slow trading the shop started filling up. Many of the customers already knew that Tammy was going to be a bridesmaid and were asking about where she was from and where she'd been to school.

Of course, Tammy's life history that had sufficed for her Saturday appearances simply did not work on a weekday. Tammy's father had strongly hinted that the truth was needed but the truth right now could cause huge problems for Sarah, not to mention the theatre and the wedding. Tom's place in St Andrew's School was also at risk, at least until his father sorted that out.

So the adjusted story corrected Tammy's age and then included a sweeping statement about taking time out of school to get some practical business experience as part of her studies. Again this was a slanted version of the truth, just not the whole truth.

By lunchtime the shop was still busy, Sarah contemplated taking her usual lunch break but also reckoned on losing all that trade if she did. By 3pm the two of them had taken more money than the whole of the past five days. There was a lull just after 3.15pm when Sandy put her head in the door.

"Tammy, have you forgotten?"

"Forgotten what?"

"Your appointment."

"What appointment?"

Sarah finally heard the conversation, "Oh Tammy, I meant to tell you yesterday. Elsie has arranged for you to have your hair done. You best get going. I can handle the shop."

Tammy went for her jacket but took another full minute to get out the door as several customers wanted to speak. Sandy had already returned to her salon so Tammy shuffled along the darkening lane on her own.

As soon as Tammy pushed the door open Sandy was removing her coat and ushering her into a chair.

"Sandy, you only did my hair on Sunday. Why does it need to be done again?"

"My my, Sarah was not joking. Where did you hide yourself when you should have been exploring your girlhood?"

"Ummm."

"Don't worry dear, we'll get you sorted in no time. Now, we didn't have time to do your eyebrows on Sunday, did we? I really didn't have time to do anything more than a cut and blow dry plus putting in those extensions."

"So what do you want to do now?"

"If you leave this in my hands, I think you'll be surprised."

"Right, I think."

"Tammy, don't worry."

Tammy was calm this time, unlike Sunday's experience when she was dreading returning to school with a very fmale cut. Now she just felt comfortable whilst Sandy worked, knowing that she wanted her image to scream 'girl'. Tammy's natural colour was a mousy brown, Sandy put gloves on and started mixing a hair dye before massaging it into Tammy's hair.

While that was working its magic, she used some wax that was warming on the counter and drew it carefully along Tammy's eyebrows. Tammy was not expecting what happened next.

"What? That hurt."

"Settle down, not much more to do, we all have to suffer a little for our beauty."

Sandy finished Tammy's eyebrows then asked when Tammy had last done her legs.

"Erm, never."

"My dear, we really need to get you sorted. Let's get your hair rinsed first though, good job we're not trying to do this in the morning, although I'll still need you back at one."

"You will?"

"Yes, I've got Catherine and Elsie here at twelve. I've also left a slot for Alison and Andrea in case they can make it in time."

Sandy rinsed out Tammy's hair then picked up a pair of scissors and spent five minutes trimming, "just to tidy it up." She then shampooed and conditioned it before grabbing the nearby handheld hairdryer. Throughout this Sandy kept up a constant conversation, although Tammy didn't recognise many names of the people Sandy was referring to. Finally she switched off the hairdryer, Tammy was suddenly able to hear properly again.

"Lets just brush this out, wonderful if I say so myself. Take a look at this!"

Tammy checked the mirror and saw she was now a brunette. Sandy had also removed some of the layering so her hair hung straight down the side of her face.

Tammy's eyes now looked even less like Tom's. As Tammy she'd taken out her contact lenses and wore glasses instead, It made her look a little less like Tom, but did nothing for her natural beauty. In the past week she'd worn her contacts every day, her brown eyes now matched her hair. With a little mascara and eye shadow there was no trace of Tom.

"That's amazing, Sandy."

"Just my usual magic, but we'll have to recolour it for the play. Now, hop out of the chair, I'll take you to see our lovely Joanne."

They walked to the back of the salon and into a side room. Joanne was just stirring another pot of wax.

"Joanne, this is Tammy. Can you do your usual full treatment? Put it on the Catherine's wedding account, will you."

Sandy left the room, closing the door behind her. Tammy was not entirely aware of what would happen next.

"Right Tammy, slip off those jeans and shoes then get up on the table."

"Oh, I think I need to go."

"Look, you need to do this for tomorrow's wedding. We can't have hair peeking through your stockings, can we?"

"I suppose not, it's just I'm a little scared."

Tammy was more than a little scared, more like terrified. Although she'd opted for, ironically, 'boy shorts' that morning, complete with lace trim, her male equipment would not be hidden to close scrutiny. She started shaking.

"Come on Tammy, it's not that bad, and I've never had a complaint. I'm sure you've got nothing I haven't seen before."

Tammy almost replied to that comment but resigned herself to the waxing, and shuffled out of her jeans and socks before getting on the table. To her great relief, Joanne laid a towel over her knickers.

"We don't want any wax on your clothes, do we? It's a pain to get out. Right, this might sting a bit but you don't have much hair so we won't take too long. I'll go just above your knees, you're not going onto the beach soon are you? I'd hate to waste the time on a Brazilian if you don't need it."

"No, just above my knees is fine." Tammy's relief showed itself a little more than she'd have wished. She was now more confident that her secret was safe, although what was a Brazilian?

After fifteen minutes Joanne asked Tammy to roll over and had whipped the towel away before Tammy could say anything. She then laid the towel back down before waxing the back of Tammy's legs. Ten minutes later she'd finished.

"Roll back over dear, I'll just put some cream on your legs, that will soothe them. The redness will go down in a few hours, don't put any tights on, will you? Give it a minute to be absorbed then get dressed."

Tammy sat on the edge of the table before pulling her jeans back on. She was about to leave when Joanne stopped her.

"Tammy, I don't miss much, but I did see your little secret."

Tammy broke down at that point.

"I didn't want to do this, I didn't."

"Now, settle down before someone comes in an asks what the problem is."

"But I'm ruined. So's the wedding, and Sarah."

"No you're not. I'm not going to say anything, I wax two other transsexuals in town, you're just alot prettier than them and I wouldn't have known if perhaps you'd worn better underwear today."

"So you'll keep quiet?"

"Yes dear. Now, where's your bag? You need to fix your makeup."

"It's on a hook under my jacket."

"Give me a second, I'll go and get it."

Joanne left the room. Tammy knew she'd been discovered but didn't know if she could trust Joanne. She was torn between continuing as Tammy and returning as Tom, giving up the play and her new identity. Joanne returned and Tammy tried to fix her face but her eyes were still a little red.

"Don't worry about that, Tammy. If anyone asks we'll just say it was your first waxing, which is true. They'll understand."

"I hope so."

"Also, think about wearing simple knickers under undies like that."

"Thanks. I think I was in a hurry this morning."

Tammy returned to the main part of the salon and was guided to a nail station. Sandy approached and spoke to a girl, asking her to give Tammy a tidy up and just put a simple coat of Tammy's existing colour, pale pink, back on.

"Tammy, we'll do your nails again tomorrow so they match your dress. Today is just to get them into a better shape, we won't have time for that tomorrow."

The girl worked at Tammy's nails in silence, by the time she was finished he knew nothing about her, including her name. Tammy's nails however did look neater, but weren't very long given Tammy's previous incarnation as Tom.

Tammy was about to get out of the chair when the girl stopped her.

"Get your shoes off, let's have a look at your toes."

Tammy did as asked, although she wondered what was next. The girl produced a bowl of warm water and soaked both feet for a minute before drying one and picking up a rasper. Tammy was treated to a full pedicure, her nails were a glossier shade of pink than her finger nails, multiple layers of polish were applied before the girl was happy.

"You can put those back on." Tammy thought this was a bit abrupt but did as asked. Sandy approached and took a look.

"Tammy, did you enjoy that? You had the full package, all at Elsie's expense."

"I thought it was Catherine's account?"

"It is, but Elsie's picking up the tab. Now, lets have a good look, beautiful! I won't ask you to drop your jeans, I know Joanne always does a good job. That was your first time?"

"Yes, can you tell?"

"Your eyes tell me everything I need to know."

"I did wince a bit."

"So did I the first time I was waxed, don't worry it gets easier next time. I need to book you in for your next appointments, come to the desk with me."

They booked Tammy for her next hair and nails appointment two weeks hence, and for her legs at the beginning of December.

Tammy was painfully aware that she could possibly be back in school after a week but accepted the new dates which Sandy wrote on a card. Of course both appointments were Friday afternoons.

Thanking everyone, Tammy put her jacket on, grabbed her bag and walked out into the cold air. It was now half past five, Tammy had been there for over two hours. She found the shop's door locked and the lights were off, Tammy knew that Sarah had left for the night. She checked her phone and found a text from Sarah.

Meet @ car

Tammy turned around and headed for the carpark, looking in the corner they'd left the car that morning. Sarah's car wasn't there, Tammy started to panic. She spun around wondering if they'd parked somewhere else when headlights came towards her, moving out of the way she saw Sarah waving from behind the wheel. Tammy jumped in, very relieved. She then realised she need the loo, urgently.

"Sarah, I um need.."

"Don't worry, we're going straight home. I've just picked up some fish and chips for us. Sandy phoned to say you were almost finished, you were just a little quicker than I thought."

Sarah turned the car around and headed home. The roads were quiet this late on a Friday and they made the journey quickly. Tammy dashed out of the car and ran inside to deal with her urgent needs. Sarah picked up the hot paper bag containing the evening's meal and was in the kitchen putting out some plates when Tammy returned.

Tammy was surprisingly hungry and finished off her portion. She was going to relax when Sarah sent her to the shower.

"why?"

"We're going out, there's a taxi booked for eight."

"Why, where? It's rehearsal at the theatre tonight."

"It's the hen night, silly. I've spoken to Jill, she understands. Now, get moving. I need the shower as well."

***

Tammy was sat on the edge of her bed wearing only a bath robe when Sarah put her head around the door, similarly attired.

"Tammy, what's up?"

"I don't know what to wear, I mean I've never been to a hen night before, and, something happened."

"I don't have time for twenty guesses, so, tell me."

"I was found out."

"Okay, who and how?"

"I was being waxed, Joanne saw me."

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about that."

"No?"

"Sure, she won't tell a soul. I've never heard any gossip from her when she's waxed me."

"She gave me her word, but can I believe her?"

"Yes you can, now get moving. You've got that short red dress over there, put that one. Your legs look nice, by the way. I expect to see you dressed when I get out the shower."

Tammy pulled the red dress out and started getting dressed, using her new black lingerie. She then slid some barely black tights on, sensing how different her legs felt as she pulled them up. Tammy sat in front of her mirror and applied some fresh eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick. She didn't need more than a little blusher on her cheeks. Next she stepped into the dress and pulled a black jacket out of her wardrobe. A pair of red heels were chosen.

"That looks good."

She was startled by Sarah's sudden comment and appearance but didn't show it, Sarah was just in her bra and knickers.

"I hope so, I mean I hope I got it right."

"Yes you did, now get downstairs and open a bottle of red, we need a drink before the taxi gets here."

Tammy wasn't aware of the need to drink before going to a party but guessed this was another girl 'thing' so she poured two glasses of burgundy then sat, waiting. Sarah was down ten minutes later - immaculate in an little black dress. They were finishing their glasses when the doorbell sounded, they headed out to where the taxi was waiting.

The taxi stopped outside the Central Hotel on Traill Street. Sarah paid the driver and dragged Tammy to a door that said Skinandi's. Outside it was peaceful, apart from the sound of taxis. Inside the music was so loud that conversation was difficult. Sarah had obviously been there before and knew how much to pay.

The doorman nearest to Tammy looked at Sarah and shook his head.

Sarah had to shout at Tammy, "have you got your ID with you?"

Tammy produced her bank ID, before long she knew she'd have to get something official, maybe a driving licence? Sarah paid for both of them and they walked onto the dance-floor. Sarah saw somebody wave from the far side and walked over,

"Hi Jill. I thought you might be here."

"I wouldn't miss it for anything. Tammy, there's someone you must meet."

Tammy was introduced to Catherine, the bride.

"Hello Tammy, my mother persuaded me that I'd accept someone I'd never met, but I wasn't expecting a beauty like you."

"I just hope I can do my best for you, but I've never been a bridesmaid before." Tammy did a twirl for Catherine.

"Tammy, it's not the most difficult job and you'll do fine. I just have to make sure David isn't distracted!"

"So do I!" They both giggled. Sarah walked up with two glasses of wine.

"I see you two have met."

"Mmmm." Tammy had put the glass to her lips, it wasn't the best red she'd ever tasted, but it would suffice.

Turning around, Tammy came face to face with one of the staff at St Andrews school, she'd met him a few times but didn't know his name.

"Tammy, this is John. He's the catering manager at St Andrews."

"Cathy, you never told me there would be a new victim here."

"John, I'm well aware of your many previous failed conquests, but be careful with Tammy, she's my bridesmaid."

"Cathy, as if?"

"That's right John." He blew a kiss and returned to his table a few feet away.

Tammy had never been one for nightclubs and given that she had only recently turned eighteen it was previously impossible to get in one anyway. However she was getting comfortable listening to the music and joining in with conversations, when she could hear them.

"Tammy, I'm going to the loo, you coming? Cathy can you keep an eye on our glasses?"

Sarah pulled Tammy across the dance floor and into the ladies. There was a short queue but they were sat in adjacent cubicles within a minute. Although it was quieter in there, neither felt it was worth saying much before they reached the sinks.

"What do you think of John?"

"What am I supposed to think? I mean he looks nice but he's not my sort."

"Let's get back."

This was Tammy's first experience of the necessity for girls to use the facilities in pairs. They reached the table and Cathy pushed their glasses back towards them. The glasses now had plastic lids, Tammy hadn't seen these before and asked Jill.

"I sent John to the bar to get them, you look as if you don't know why they're here?" I shook my head.

"Have you heard of the date rape drugs?"

"Oh, now I understand."

"You must have had a sheltered upbringing." This was said for Cathy's and John's benefit.

"You could say that."

Cathy spoke, "Tammy, we'll have to have a girly talk sometime, but here's the rest of the crew - late as usual."

"Sorry Cathy," was the chorus, then Julie, the apparent organiser, explained.

"The taxi firm said their eight seater was broken and refused to organise anything else. We spent twenty minutes getting through to another firm and then half an hour for it to arrive."

"You could have let me know!"

"We did, where's your phone?"

Cathy checked her phone finding four missed calls and three unread texts.

"Okay girls, thanks for getting here. This is Tammy who mum decided would be my bridesmaid." She feigned disgust, the girls tried not to laugh. There was another chorus, this time it was "hi Tammy".

Two of the girls headed to the bar, and three to the toilet, leaving Julie and an older woman, Debbie.

"So Tammy, how is it we don't know you?"

"I've not been in Thurso long. I'm taking a few months out and can't stay at home as my folks are in Switzerland. Sarah's an old friend so I'm staying with her and working in the shop for my keep. I used to work at weekends when I could but now it's all week."

"Tammy, you haven't told them the good news." Tammy glared at Jill before realising what she meant.

"I'm playing Anita in West Side Story."

Cathy answered, "wow! I'd loved to have done that. How did you get the part?"

"Jill spotted me in Sarah's shop a few weekends ago."

"Can you sing?"

"I suppose so, I can manage the songs for the show."

"I'll have to hear you one day?"

"At the show?" Tammy teased.

"Not sure if I can wait that long."

Sarah worked out what Cathy was thinking but kept it to herself. It was getting more difficult to talk anyway as someone might have turned the volume up. Another glass of wine was put in Tammy's hand and she indicated to Sarah that it should be her last, her throat was becoming dry and her tongue looser, dangerously so.

All the girls were now cooing around Cathy trying to find out what her dress would be like, and complaining that she had taken another previously eligible male off the list. Tammy felt a little left out as she didn't know the girls and, not having been a girl very long, was still learning the right phrases and responses that came so naturally to the group.

While she was looking into space John walked up and mouthed "would you like to dance?" whilst pulling Tammy off her chair and onto the dance floor. This was not like a school disco, or one of those weddings that you have to go to when you're younger. No, Tammy found that she could relax, but was it the alcohol? The upbeat number ended and a slow song started, Tammy recognised it from the Motown stable but couldn't place it. John pulled her tight, Tammy wanted to resist but it seemed futile.

John eventually led Tammy back to her seat, she was tired, no make that shattered, and Sarah saw it. Sarah gave her apologies to all and pulled Tammy out into the street to hail a cab.

Once indoors she made Tammy a coffee and insisted she drank it before it was cold. By the way Tammy was yawning Sarah knew that it wasn't necessarily the alcohol that had got to her, more like an early start and a long day. Sarah helped her out of the heels and the dress before sending her to the bathroom to wash off the evening's make-up. Tammy's lipstick was smeared, Sarah noted.

Sarah sent Tammy to her room so she could get ready for bed. She then went back down and saw the pile of post in the kitchen. Some of it was for Tammy but one letter was from Switzerland.

Dear Mrs Bonney,

I'd like to thank you again for taking care of Tom while the school's closed. Unfortunately I shall not be returning to the UK for the foreseeable future and won't be able to thank you in person.

I enclose a cheque to cover any additional expenses you may have but I regret it may be my last as I have initiated divorce proceedings. I'd be grateful if Tom was not informed as yet.

Kind regards

Tara Smart

Sarah folded the letter back up and put it in her handbag, what was she to do now? She took a look at the cheque, it was for £1000 which seemed alot for what could be one or two weeks. The rest of her mail was bills, which she left for the morning.

When Sarah eventually climbed upstairs she checked on Tammy as the bedroom light was still on. Tammy was dressed in her nightwear but was lying flat out on top of the duvet. Sarah helped Tammy into bed, turned the light off then went to her own room.

up
447 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Uh Huh, alcohol has a way of

Uh Huh, alcohol has a way of sneaking up on you without it being that noticeable, especially in a nightclub or dancing situation. The heat generated in the room/s also increases the alcohol's 'kick' many times. Got a feeling Tammy just may be out for the count, even when morning arrives.

mom seems to be a real winner

mom seems to be a real winner, first she ignores her kid then tells the person that is watching over them who she doesn't even know that she is getting a divorce without telling her kid first (real class act)

Agreed

Tom/Tamara's mom is seriously screwed up, she has more interest in her own wants than in actually being a part of her family. Sending the initial note to Tom, then the other note to Sarah with the money, plus the announcement of the impending divorce, all speak of a person who keeps everyone at arms' length as if to prevent contamination of any kind from possible close contact. She doesn't seem to have any motherly aspects to her nature from the limited viewpoint we have seen, and bringing Sarah into what should have been a private family issue before telling Tom/Tamara is just plain wrong.

If I had grown up with a mother like that, I'd be darn glad to have a parent like Tom's/Tamara's dad and friends like Sarah that actually care about what happens. I'd say that dad's influence has been a big part of how Tom/Tamara has matured, even though he cannot be there all the time, he truly cares.

Divorce, how sad

These things have a way of happening. Sad for Tammy

Gwen

Maybe A Good Thing

joannebarbarella's picture

Her mother is a strange person. She may not have even told Tammy's father that she is initiating divorce proceedings. Given the turmoil in Tammy's life it could be a most beneficial development to have her mother out of her life.

We know she wants to stay as Tammy and it seems as though half of Thurso is conspiring to make sure it happens.

I hadn't thought of that,

but having Mom voluntarily stepping out of the way is probably a good thing long term.

Well it's not like mom ever had any interest in Tammy's life

Julia Miller's picture

I agree, one less thing for Tammy to worry about. It seems that in the prologues, Tom would go months without hearing a word from his mother. At least his father took some interest in his life. Now as Tammy, his father has supported him by helping her with finances and a new id.

One wonders...

TheCropredyKid's picture

...whether John is going to be a problem or an opportunity.

Or whether we'll never see him again.

 
 
 
x

Getting it partially straight

Jamie Lee's picture

Setting people straight about Tammy's age and reason for working at the shop. Much of what's said it true, just not what school and why she's really out for a time.

Getting sent to the salon to get treatments for the wedding has created a possible problem when Tom has to return to school. First it was the hairstyle and now the eye brows. They will grow back but not in time when school reopens. Unless, dad talks to the Headmaster and Tammy is allowed to attend the all boys school.

Something is up with mom, or more than she can say. She seems wrapped up with her own wants but things are a bit to cryptic. And now the letter to Sarah about filing for divorce. Something is up and it's more than what's seen at face value.

Others have feelings too.

This probably won't be answered ever, but

Julia Miller's picture

Tom/Tammy is now 18, yet his/her voice has never broken, he doesn't have to shave, he is much shorter than the other boys. He is not masculine in the least, and as far as I know, he is not taking any hormone blockers. So what's going on here? Is the boy AIS or Intersexed? I am sure we will eventually find out, but he is not a normal boy hormonally.

Hair colour

Twice you've mentioned that Tom's hair colour was black.
Now it's a mousey brown.
Actually a natural Hispanic colour ideal for Anita.
Hmmm.