Julina of Blackstone - 039 - Time To Say Goodbye

Printer-friendly version

Parting is such sweet sorrow, and is also complicated, hectic and changeable

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

039 – Time To Say Goodbye


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
039 – Time To Say Goodbye

What should I say about this particular morning of this particular day? I feel I could fill hands and hands of notebooks, if I was asked - and another hand of notebooks could be filled with details of the next days.

The first two bells of daylight were filled, it seems as I look back, with smiles and tears and gasps of surprise and delight and sorrow.

Both Termerik, and Mohini, of whom we had seen little during our brief stay, remained behind their normal departure times to say their individual goodbyes to us. Termerik set tongues awagging when he kissed my cheek, and when we said that it wasn't the first time, there was a chorus of questions from my girls, which I knew would be repeated on our three day journey. I just grinned secretly which drove the girls wild with curiosity. Epp's laughing eyes helped fan those flames too, and Shemel, who had also stayed later so he could bid us farewell, said and did nothing which helped the mystery somewhat.

Both sets of people were emotional.

Actually, I should say that all three sets of people were emotional.

Firstly, there was the group of us, the largest group of the three, who were departing - we numbered ten in all with young Haris. Then there was another group who were staying, they numbered five (and should also have their number increased by the two more permanent residents, Epp's sons, to end up making seven), and finally there was the group of the staff who had looked after us so well, making a group of four, plus young Max who was the only non-resident.

Gifts were given by our group to the staff, many of which were received with tears of gratitude.

It would have been simple to just slip them some coin, but I was proud of my girls (and the other two who were men) that they had used their brains and found some small meaningful things; meaningful things that I am sure were far better received, representing as they did a true degree of thoughtfulness. Jogantha and Karmanya were quite emotionally attached to dear Haris by this time, and I think theirs were the hardest partings, but we all felt something as we took our leave of those uncomplaining and hard-working members of Epp's domestic team. It was all the more gratifying since they had no idea at all, and no expectation at all, of receiving anything from us.

“Parrier and I shall remain here,” stated Suril, once the gift-giving was over, the goodbyes were done, and the staff had returned to their duties, “while you all go and take your leave of the 'Nest'. Please present our good wishes along with your own. We shall need to be here to help Jafferkin load the wagon. If you are not back by the time we leave here, then we shall go with the wagon first to Mistress Nayet's and then on to the Shuttle Shed in Junction Square.

“HOWEVER,” he called loudly as we started to bustle about, “we shall not be responsible for bringing your belongings from your rooms. Before you go off, make sure that everything you want to take with you is brought to the bottom of the steps outside, and is securely packed. We shall refuse responsibility for anything YOU leave behind, or that falls out of a bag. The weather is fair enough, I deem, for our belongings to be left outside for a bell or two. Mistress Julina, as you are the one most experienced, would you agree that, for this day's journey up to Brayview, we need not saddle the frayen? I am told a further three saddles are due at any heartbeat, so we could saddle all six beasts, if you so deem, but I feel that we shall not ride today?”

“Six beasts? I had reckoned only with five. But aye, Suril, you have the right of it. I deem we shall not be riding before the morrow.”

“Indeed it shall be six, 'Lina, for I shall send Nelke up with you,” explained Epp. “I shall not be riding without more experienced riders to hand, and Parry here is one of the best animal husbands-men I have ever encountered. So Nelke shall return to Sookie's without me, and be ready for me to be a more active rider in the new year. I suspect that there will be many requests for riding time on your journey home, and perchance all the experienced mounts shall be required.”

That triggered another thought with me. “Parry, are the new mounts ridable by us without fear?”

“I deem that they are docile enough, 'Lina. Certainly you, me and Suril should be the first on their backs. The other mounts will do for any of the others.”

“Well, that's good news. One worry less, even if I didn't have the worry two moments ago! By the way, what are the names of these beasts?”

Parry and Epp both laughed at my first part of the remark, and the others smiled.

Parry then, however, shook his head: “That we do not know, 'Lina, and we shall have to wait until the beasts are reclaimed when we get home.”

“Oh! I had not thought of that! Do you have some way of differentiating them now they have been in your care for a day or so?”

“Black Ears, Raggedy Tail and Haunches,” he said in all seriousness. “When you see them, you will find those names to be obvious.”

We laughed at that before we all went to sort out our belongings.

I securely packed my precious mirror and the Beam lantern into one bag, wrapping each extremely well, and made sure that Suril would be very careful with that particular one. I clearly identified it, but only to us. A casual passer-by would not have been able to tell which was which.

“I wouldn't put it past that silly woman of Bormio's to try something this morning. Take especial care please.”

“You may rely upon me, 'Lina.”

“I have had another thought, Suril ...”

I pretended not to see him rolling his eyes.

“You should maybe come to the 'Nest' to pick up at least Haka and myself. We should be a little more formal with our good-byes to Mistress Nayet. The rest of them can either come with us to the seamstress' house, or make their way to the Shuttle Shed, but Haka and I should definitely speak with Mistress Nayet, and maybe Mousa too, come to think of it.”

He grinned wryly. “I'll suggest it to Jafferkin!”

I knew immediately that would be the best I could expect.

… … ...

Shemel went off to wherever he goes during the days in Tranidor – I made a mental note to find out more when I could. However, Epp, along with her two sons, her one daughter, and her friends Grizanthet and Boxklee, accompanied us to the 'Nest'. The latter couple were intrigued to find out more about this place that had achieved a prominence in our conversations, but young Surekha was totally indifferent. I think Epp also wanted to introduce the owner to her most frequent visitors, for a stepping stone in the future.

We weren't exactly rowdy, but our large party created a noticeable stir once we got going, with conversations flying around in all directions. Gradually, the volume, it seemed, managed to creep up and up.

There were a few frowns, mostly from the older denizens who appeared to be there for their regular morning pel and pastry, but there were also some smiles. Nevertheless, even I was beginning to worry about the disturbance we were causing. However, the owner was there in our midst, so I felt it was up to him to control things.

Epp had called the owner over to make some introductions and also to explain the departures, and went on to explain that we wanted to thank him and his wife for a nice haven these past few days.

He was talking to us and smiling at our thanks and so on, and coping as well as he could with all the confusion generated by a hand and more of excited females.

Just then, there was a loud bugle call from outside, and the owner started. We must have all looked very confused, because there was a hurried explanation which filled the sudden and almost shocking silence that ensued: “That is the five moment warning of an important announcement from the Count. The proclamation will be read in the middle of the Market Place, so we should scurry if we wish to hear the words themselves.”

A little while later, as we were all scurrying, there was a further blast, noticeably different, that the owner told me was the two moment warning. We arrived at the centre of the Market Place and had just a few heartbeats of time to observe the resplendently costumed herald and his party, one of whom was raising his instrument to his lips.

Then there was a fanfare to announce the announcement itself, if you see what I mean. It was horribly loud as we were so close to the bugler by then.

Now I know I am hopeless when it comes to getting the names and honourifics of the nobility right, so the following is my interpretation of the pronouncement, as best as I can render it:

“Worthy citizens, loyally here gathered, pray attention.” I sniggered a bit at that, since we were only here out of curiosity and not out of loyalty. “His Honour, Lord Trosanar, Count Tranidor, hereby reminds his subjects that there will be many events for the Extra Day Festival to mark the beginning of the year 1175 since the Great Flood. Many, indeed most, of these events shall occur within the walls of the castle, upon the fields of the Outer Bailey, with many booths devoted to food and drink, as well as other more commercial booths. His Honour announces hereby that the first official event shall be a Game of Shevesty to commence at the third Bell, precisely. This match-up shall be between a team drawn from His Honour's guard and castle staff, opposed by a team drawn from the Miners' Guild. All shall be welcome to attend. Be aware that His Honour has made arrangements for wagons to depart from three locations, namely the outside of the East Bridge, by the Semaphore Station, the outside of the West Bridge, likewise by the Semaphore Station and finally the North Side of the Market Place, at the lower end of Main Street. These wagons are provided by His Honour and shall convey passengers FREE OF CHARGE to the Castle. They shall depart these locations precisely at each quarter bell, commencing at the second Bell and shall continue up to and including the fourth Bell. Priority shall be given to the elderly and the infirm. Similar arrangements shall be made at the end of the day, the timings to be announced separately, to aid citizens to reach home once more. This announcement shall be repeated at this hour on each day up to and including New Year's Eve.”

I am fully aware that the pronouncement was made with much more flowery language than I have been able to reproduce here, but I am confident of the message content, and feel that I have conveyed it most faithfully.

There was a silence for a heartbeat or two before conversations started up, creating an even greater confusion of noise than that which we had caused in the 'Nest'.

I managed to pick up some snippets as we all made our way back there, so that we could pay our bill before returning to the house at South Point, or jumping onto Jafferkin's wagon.

“… he wants something. Free transport indeed! He's going to want us to do something that will cost us in the New Year, mark my words. He …”

“... what he's up to. It's not very like him. Why, I remember ...”

“ … suspicious. It always is when he's being nice. I wonder who …”

“ … perhaps he REALLY has changed. Somehow, I ...”

“... a good idea. I wonder who he has been talking to. But it is a good thing ...”

It was quite shocking to hear all the negativity about the man, about their ruling Count.

But somehow 'twas not as shocking as the speed with which my suggestion, made only late yesterday morning, really just a few scant Bells previously, had been conveyed and acted upon. I know that I had a flare inside me, as hope sprung up, that maybe this was the first step to the Wender system. I dared look at neither Epp nor Termerik just then, but I could feel somehow their own hopes springing forth.

… … ...

“Move along now. There's nothing to see. The incident is all over. Be on your way now, and leave the road free.”

There must have been thirty or forty people all milling around for some reason, blocking the road and making our passage difficult.

“We are to pick up some goods to be transported from here, Master Dicksen. If you could just clear a patch for us there, by that doorway?”

“Oh, 'tis YOU lot. Good morrow to you all. Ah! And Master Suril! Sorry sir, didn't see you at first. What with so many companions of the female persuasion.”

“What has been happening here, Master Dicksen?” asked Suril, his bright and intelligent eyes seemingly drinking in the scene.

“Well sir, acting upon information received,” he glanced heavily and pointedly at me at that moment, and then switched his eyes momentarily to Mousa, “we have had occasion to detain a certain individual and escort him to the Watch-house where he might be encouraged to help us with our enquiries. Unfortunately, this individual was less than willing to accompany us, and some struggle ensued. Two Watchmen were injured before the individual was managed to be controlled. He should recover from his bruises in a week or two, always assuming that he does not collect any more by being contrary.”

Suril too had glanced at me during this speech, and I just mouthed 'Brathan' back. He looked a little surprised but nodded at me in acknowledgement.

It was obvious that they required no assistance from Suril, so he settled back into our original plan and went to help Parry with the loading.

Maker! I was astonished at the way the wagon was already filling up rapidly, and we still had two more passengers and their baggages to pick up!

So it was that we could, with only a minimal delay, load up the goods that Hasinet, via Haka, had ordered and then make our way onward once again, but only after some more emotional leave-taking – although the emotional levels were much lower than those that occurred earlier.

… … ...

“HOW many pieces?”

“Only eight. We're travelling light, this time.”

“But there's no room,” I wailed.

“Hold, Mistress Julina! I have a solution, perchance.” Jafferkin also stopped glaring at Berdon and Bettayla, and turned his attention to Master Rohid. I fancied that even Josten turned his head to hear the 'solution'.

Masters Ruckem and Rohid had appeared at the Shuttle Shed to have a quiet private word with myself (and Epp and Termerik, but those two had not made the journey to this end of the town) and also to wish us a safe journey. I went off to one side with them as the others were greeting Berdon and Bettayla, taking Kords as my companion, leaving the more mature Mousa to try to control the situation.

“Good morrow Mistress Julina,” started Master Ruckem. “have you perchance heard the Count's pronouncement?”

“Well met, Masters. Indeed I have heard the pronouncement. Does this mean what I think it means?”

“Well met, Mistress,” continued Master Rohid. “The Count has granted us a month's trial, and we are convinced, as you are aware, that that will start a good business. I have sent a letter to Master Tanon about it, and a coded Semaphore, so we might hear from other municipalities soon!”

“Moony whats?”

He spelt out the word and explained its meaning and I tried hard to fix it in my mind, which was thinking of about a hundred things right then, including the raised voices from the others as they considered the totality of the load to be transported.

“However, there must be a change to our agreement,” said Master Ruckem.

My heart sank a little. I had always thought it to be too good to be true. I settled my entire concentration on the two Masters before me.

He continued: “It was much as I thought would happen. The Count wanted a fifth, we offered one twentieth, and the Count finally settled upon a figure.”

I caught sight just then of a twinkle in his eye. I was relieved as I knew then that it would be some good news and not bad news. I grinned a little as I asked: “And just how much did the Count agree to snatch from us?”

“One twelfth!”

“Oh!” Then I thought about it a little deeper. “OH! He is taking LESS than we planned. Well negotiated, gentlemen! Ah, but that means there is the difference between one twelfth and one tenth to be allocated!”

“Precisely, Mistress. Our agreements have been signed and witnessed for different amounts.”

The answer leapt straight into my brain, possibly influenced by current events and thoughts that were dashing through my mind. As I said, the answer came; but the implementation of that answer started creating more and more difficulties in my head.

“I think we should use the difference to pay a little extra something to the people who do the work – the drivers and the ones who check that passengers have paid. Maybe save it all up and give them a little extra each New Year, or each New Year and each Longest Day – something like that. But then there will be some who have worked for longer, or done less, and there will be some who will be ill or injured --- oh, I don't know what to do!”

Both men were taken aback a little by my suggestion, and then they started thinking about it and started nodding.

“A perfect solution, Mistress! But I agree there will be difficulties,” said Master Ruckem.

Master Rohid kept quiet for a moment or two and then said slowly: “Might I suggest that you leave it to me and Mistress Megrozen to thrash out the details? Would that be acceptable? I deem Mistress Megrozen would be a fair and neutral person, and she has experience of dealing with employees. She has also shown that she is fierce at protecting your interests.”

“An excellent idea, Rohid,” said Master Ruckem.

“I agree,” I said. “Do we need to formalise this?”

“'Twould be best, I deem.”

“Then hold here for a moment, if it pleases.” I turned away from them and went to fetch Suril.

I had to nearly shout when I got there: “Alright, you lot! Enough of this nonsense. We shall find a solution to the problem as soon as I have finished over there with the two Masters. There is no need for any further shouting, you are all drawing a crowd. Master Suril, could you please come with me, just for a few heartbeats? I require your assistance with these two men.”

“Of course, Mistress Julina,” he replied in as official a tone as that which I had employed.

When we reached the two waiting men, the situation was explained to Suril, just the bit about the differences between our signed agreement and the reported changes, which Master Ruckem reported to Suril formally. I then formally repeated my idea for a solution, Master Rohid then formally repeated his suggestion as to how to handle the details.

“Heard and witnessed!” said Suril, without prompting.

Again, handshakes were exchanged all round and then Master Ruckem took his leave, wishing us once more a safe journey.

The three of us then returned to the Shuttle Shed, and the near-row over there.

“Good morrow Master Berdon. And also Mistress Bettayla. I'm glad to see you are early enough, it still lacks a half bell to noon! What seems to be the problem?”

It was Jafferkin who surprised me with an answer: “We have big load already. These want more bags than rest of you combined!”

I looked more closely at the pile on the ground there.

“HOW many pieces?”

“Only eight. We're travelling light, this time.”

“But there's no room,” I wailed.

“Hold, Mistress Julina! I have a solution, perchance.” Jafferkin also stopped glaring at Berdon and Bettayla, and turned his attention to Master Rohid. I fancied that even Josten turned his head to hear the 'solution'.

“You are travelling basically on the Shuttle Route, I deem?” he said, looking at Jafferkin as he spoke.

He received a nod by way of reply.

“And you could keep to the Shuttle schedule?”

Another nod.

“Then the solution is simple! Some of you, or some of your bags travel on the Shuttle! Let me just go and check the load. I will ensure that there is no charge for this, as Mistress Julina has been most generous to our company.”

Well THAT put a stop to the brewing arguments.

And then my agile brain threw up another problem whilst Master Rohid went off to talk with the Shuttle driver.

I said nothing, though, until I found out if we indeed had a solution.

After a short while, Master Rohid returned with two men.

“Masters, Mistresses, may I present Goodmen Dorsal and Farr. They are wagoneers with our company. Dorsal here is the designated driver of today's Shuttle up to Blackstone and Farr has been assigned as an extra driver for whatever duties may arise. He shall be stationed up in Blackstone until the Longest Day, so you shall no doubt see him around. He is the only Shuttle passenger we have for this trip. There may, of course, be others waiting at Brayview or at the Forest Roadhouse, of those I have no knowledge.”

He turned from us back to the drivers: “Goodmen, this is Mistress Julina, she and Mistress Mousa there are being driven with their colleagues up to Blackstone by Goodman Jafferkin there, whom I suspect you know. May I suggest you three drivers decide upon the distribution of the loads, there are some goods already loaded on the Shuttle, some for Brayview and some for the Forest Roadhouse, the rest for Blackstone.

“Might I further suggest that all you passengers repair to that Inn over there, with which we have an arrangement. Female passengers on the Shuttle may use the facilities before departing, without having to purchase anything! I shall come over with you, to vouch for you, and perchance we men can enjoy a small beer whilst we are awaiting the Noon bell.”

“Master Rohid, thank you for this solution to us travelling up to Blackstone. But what will happen when Master Berdon and Mistress Bettayla wish to return next week? Will this be a problem for the Shuttle to bring them back?” I voiced the concern I had had earlier.

“Not at all, Mistress Julina, particularly if they are prepared to allow their belongings to be transported perhaps on a separate wagon or even two. We have at least a pair of wagons that arrive from Blackstone every day. Or we could deliver them separately to Brayview, where we have even more wagons per day arriving from Blackstone, we would then collect their belongings together there and could even send a wagon from here to fetch it all from there, if the Shuttle can't cope.”

“Hold, Master Rohid! I be returning about then; expect I be able to fetch them down here, without all other stuff in load.”

“Of course! Thank you Goodman Jafferkin, I had overlooked that temporarily.”

We were all quite shocked about how easily this was sorted out.

But even more shocking was the fact that Jafferkin had now spoken an intelligible statement – and done that twice!

… … ...

We passed the Semaphore Station and gained the free road, with a sigh of relief, having had to push our way past the throngs in both Junction Square and Cross Street, and having then negotiated our way past the Guard and Tax house. Our convoy of two wagons drew some glances, I suppose because it is rare for two wagons to be each trailing three frayen. The Shuttle was in the lead and Black Ears, Nelke and Haunches were attached to the rear of it. Jafferkin's wagon followed closely behind, the remaining frayen, Trumpa, Dralla and Raggedy Tail, trailing closely behind us. Somehow, the men had decided to travel all together and were seated together on the Shuttle.

Traffic was such that we actually had to wait for three wagons to pass on their way uphill, before we could turn left onto the main road and follow them.

It was not long before we all felt a weight lift from us, but none could find an explanation – until Jafferkin grunted: “Noise.”

Of course! We were now in the countryside. The ambient noise level was higher than that in Blackstone, as far as I could remember, but was nevertheless far lower than the one we now realised had been oppressing us whilst in Tranidor. I glanced over at Jafferkin, realising why he enjoyed his long periods of quiet, and his eyes twinkled back affectionately as we had a silent heartbeat of total understanding.

… … ...

I realised upon the subsequent journey that the Semaphore Stations were positioned, very roughly speaking, at about a bell's wagon travel distance apart. It suddenly hit me, and the others were also plunged into thought when I mentioned it, just how vulnerable our semaphore connection at Blackstone was. From Blackstone to Strettalm was far more than a mere bell. It gave, certainly me, a sudden insight into all the details our planners were considering.

So that first passage, up to the next Semaphore Station, was spent, in the female wagon at least, interrogating Bettayla, a total newcomer to us, before they started in on teasing me. I still could not reveal why Termerik had kissed my cheek, so I had to suffer the torments when that subject came up. But I did score a few points of my own, so it was not all one way traffic.

The next bell was spent in deciding upon the lessons I was to give during our journey, and when, which made Bettayla call for Berdon to hop off his wagon and scramble up onto ours.

Both of the newcomers were amazed at the proposals to handle what I suddenly decided to call the three 'R's – 'riting, reading and riding. Both felt they were quite good at the first two, but were very interested in riding lessons, when I explained that anyone could do it. Bettayla was close to my size, so she could borrow one of my riding outfits on the morrow.

Then I mentioned the Garian numbers, and they were both agog to learn about THOSE.

At one point, our discussions were interrupted by a hail from a wagon heading downhill and we all called and waved to Legbato and his colleagues as they passed us.

By the time our lesson plans were all done, we had passed the northernmost Semaphore Station in this valley outside of Milady's lands and we were well within view of the one on the borders to Blackstone, for that is what we must now consider those fields and forests to be.

… … ...

Another emotional farewell ensued the following morning. I liked Brayview and I'm sure the others felt the same.

We had been made very welcome and we all knew we would return sometime. We made sure to pick up a package of their cheese – I got one for the Salon and one for Papa and Swayga, after Basset assured us it would keep for at least a week, as long as kept cool. The others also got their own supplies.

With Bettayla this time teaching us more steps and new dances, as well as encouraging us, we again spent most of the evening on the dance floor, this time 'twas Berdon who was the lead musician and one of the semaphore operators provided the rhythm. Berdon and Bettayla added to the evening's entertainment by putting on a short, but very funny, two-person show.

And one of the overnighting wagoneers made a fair amount of coin by placing a wager.

He got up and stated that he knew so many songs that he bet he could name a song which contained a woman's name, any woman's name that anyone could come up with. He was convinced that his vast knowledge of songs would encompass at least one with whatever name was given him. There were many takers in the room, but not from us once Bettayla frowned meaningfully to stop us joining in.

In the end, he was given a hand of names and took a dozen wagers. He spent a lot of time asking those who were placing bets if they were certain. He gave them all at least three opportunities to back out, but none took him up on those offers, particularly after they heard the list of names for which he had to search through his resources in his mind.

He was very good, and he managed to look worried.

When finally he accepted the challenge, he gave them all one final opportunity to back out.

When they didn't, he simply sang the Birthday Song and inserted the required name at the appropriate point.

My how we laughed – including those who had lost money to him.

Again we slept well in this roadhouse and we were actually quite impatient to get under way when we all were ready relatively early. However, we HAD agreed to travel with the Shuttle, so we could not depart before the Noon bell, lest there be any last moment passengers.

So I filled in the time for most of the people around. First I introduced Dorsal and Farr to frayen riding with the new saddles, and then I sat down in the roadhouse common room and gave some lessons in the Garian numbers to any who wanted it, including others not in our party. This proved to be such a popular move that we were nearly late for our schedules. I was thanked profusely by all and was told that there would always be a free meal for me there at Brayview whenever I chose.

And so we at last pulled out, again a little tearfully, onto the main road to continue our uphill journey. A dull rumble in the distance made me look up in some alarm, but I could see that the thunder storm was some way from us, over to the west of the valley and quite a way downwind. I guessed and estimated that it might be lurking somewhere up the Sufen valley. I wondered aloud if it was raining or snowing over there.

At that, Molly got THAT look again on her face. I happened to be next to Bettayla at that time and I whispered to her what was about to happen. I was not disappointed.

“You know the first time I travelled
Out in the rain and snow -
I didn't have a bedroll
Nor even any place to go.
But now I have this inner pain
And am glad to be
On the road again.”

Bettalya looked sharply at her and I could see her mind working at something. She said nothing though. She asked me quietly if Molly did a lot of this and was ever more thoughtful when I informed her that she did.

Our journey continued quietly for a quarter bell or so, before someone brought up another topic, and off went the conversational round in another direction.

… … ...

Today's journey was the same as the day before, but not.

The really big difference today was that our party was more evenly split between the two wagons, and all six frayen were saddled. The strangeness and awkwardness of yesterday, dealing with relative strangers, had disappeared after the evening's entertainment and the getting-to-know-you period had passed.

I had been going to start with using the frayen today but, again, we had all felt strange to even consider riding on this main road; so we decided, without actually voicing the opinion, to delay riding until we were on the Blackstone road.

… … ...

The riding caused chaos.

Now the 'Riders' group had been expanded to include both of the Wagoneers, the time we, I, had allocated to riding went way over schedule.

Everyone, and I really mean EVERY one wanted to 'have a go', with the twin exceptions of Haris and Jafferkin.

The new animals, a little confused at first, soon settled into acceptance and seemed to exude an air of contentment with the new saddles and their new positioning.

The enthusiasm for riding was really kindled after we reached the bottom of the slope into our valley. I had, again you will remember, given both drivers an introduction to frayen riding back in the wagon park of Brayview, so they took a couple of turns at driving whilst the other went riding. We did our circling movements just had we had done those few, but seemingly many, days ago when we were climbing this slope. They thanked me once again and then some of the others wanted to have a go.

And so it went on for a while.

Finally, Suril, Parry, I, Kelly, Kords and Gyth all rode away from the wagons and investigated Bezlet. We left when the wagons were still some mark or so shy of the turn off, and we rode into the village to cause some consternation amongst those there gathered.

There had been some progress in the building of the houses and barns of the hamlet, and also in the roadways and so on.

“Mistress Julina! Master Suril! Goodmen and women, welcome. How pleasant to see you!”

A man had emerged from the main house there. He swung up into the saddle of a waiting frayen and came to join us.

“Master Bezan! What a delight to see you too. I think you know everyone?”

“Indeed Julina. But how come you are here? And mounted?”

It was Suril who explained as Master B led us in single file down a narrow track, rather than road, through the trees. The noise of the river grew ever louder as we approached it.

And then we were there.

My breath caught in my throat as I took in the raw, wild beauty of the spot. It felt wrong to be encouraging us humans to despoil such natural wondrousness.

But I was pleased to see with my own eyes this area that Papa had described. His word picture was thus fleshed out most colourfully. And we even saw the strange tree marking across the river that had told Papa that this nose-like peak to our left was only relatively narrow.

Master B explained much to us, pointing out things such as how little effort would be required to turn that rock ledge into a wharf, and how that clearing could be made into a storage bunker and so on.

All too soon though we had to depart.

This time though it was with Master Bezan in our company.

He had decided to join us as soon as I mentioned our intention of investigating the ruined fort. He explained that he was going to be overnighting at the Forest Roadhouse anyway. He issued a few orders, listened to a few discussions and then took his leave of them.

We rejoined the main road armed with much more knowledge than we had had before, and we were soon in pursuit of the wagons, which we could see some way ahead along the straight road. I mentioned to Master B that we should talk as I had had an idea or two. If he had been an animal, then his ears would have pricked up or he would have started sniffing or something. He agreed to wait until later.

… … ...

After being introduced to the newcomers, Master Bezan was excited to think that maybe they could be persuaded to join us up in town, with their troupe of entertainers. Master B also helped me considerably with my lessons, for I had been sorely pressed to keep everyone absorbed, which I feel is so vital to good learning. He went on one wagon and took the more advanced ones, whilst I was able to help the less well able ones.

We were still truly absorbed in these lessons when we crossed the stream/rivulet that came from behind the Strettalm, which event startled Master B into some activity. He began urgently organising the ones who wanted to ride again.

Soon we were mounted once more, our group being the same as before except for Mousa in place of Gythy, who felt that she had reached her limits of endurance in the last expedition, and thus wanted to rest on the wagon this time.

Master B explained that the wagons would probably reach the Roadhouse before we were finished and told Dorsal, Farr and Jafferkin to enlist help from the staff there should they require it, for unloading or securing the loads.

… … ...

“No-one really knows why the Chivans abandoned this place. My gut feeling is that, judging by some traces we have found whilst developing Blackstone Town and its surrounds, is that they started to use the coal much as Milady has now taught us to do. There would not have been many soldiers available and I suspect they decided to leave this place and concentrate on the head of the valley. This fort achieves little in military terms after all. Once a way was discovered up the cliff face there, then the significance of this place dropped considerably. Before that, then this could have been considered to be the head of the valley, which then makes more sense to build a fort somewhere here, near a ready water supply and some falls which would have been valuable not only for washing, but for providing some limited forms of power for crushing grain and the like.”

This place was indeed a wonderful area, and I could understand why Milady wanted to preserve its wild and natural beauty.

I was fumbling through my memories to try to remember exactly what had been said about her intentions as far as this place was concerned, but I knew it wasn't to be a roadhouse and got confused then when my head was telling me that it was to be somewhere for people to stay overnight.

Eventually, I mentally shrugged and put the thoughts away. It never occurred to me to ask Master Bezan until many weeks later!

We gaped and gawped and gazed at the many things that were there for us to gape, gawp and gaze at. The clearly delineated and enduring walls, the marked areas for gardens and so on. The riverside path down to the falls and pools was a wonderful experience and we all giggled at the thought of Milady getting into the oh-so-cold water.

More things were pointed out and we marvelled again at how the building was still so solid after so very many years. The shadow of a tree on the opposite bank of one channel of the falls stretched its tip out as though reaching for us and it gently and silently touched our side of the waterway. This event caused Master B to draw his breath in, and made us scurry back to the frayen. He chivvied us along, saying that the time we had left of daylight was very short indeed. He apologised for keeping us so long, but we assured him it was alright. He said that we would probably be caught on a dark road if we were not careful and we understood better his urgency.

It was actually quite fun to hurry along the road on frayen back, travelling faster than we had ever done before. Mousa was very nervous and Master B took it upon himself to stay close to her and generally reassure her. I enjoyed the extra speed and I think the others all did as well, though I could tell Kords had some discomfort with it. It was just as we reached the entrance that the light finally failed, and the yellowing general lanterns lit our way to the buildings.

Notwithstanding my enjoyment of that final stretch of road, I confess I was ready for a bath by the time we got inside the Roadhouse and it was indeed a luxury to soak some aching muscles in some hot water, specially prepared for us. The semaphore system had warned the roadhouse of our arrival and it was nice to be expected and welcomed – and looked after. I suspected that Uncle Steef might well have been responsible for much of that. He was obviously very pleased to see us, and was almost overwhelming in his efforts to be of assistance...

After our dinner, which we took quite early that day, Berdon and Bettayla again did a few acting pieces, some of which made the company laugh uproariously, and some made us sad. One piece made us very thoughtful. We were all impressed at how they managed to convey so many different emotions and situations. Again there was a little music and some dancing, but we did not celebrate as long as we had the night before. Indeed, I felt that maybe these celebrations were probably over at about the same time as they had started the previous night.

Some of our party had decided to go to bed quite early, since they knew there would also be a late night tomorrow, but, as I was considering my options, I was approached diffidently by Dorsal, Farr, Jafferkin (yes, Jafferkin!) and two hands of others, asking if I would be willing to spend a little more time explaining to them all the Garian numbers. Obviously, our drivers had told the others of their new knowledge, and I felt it would be rude of me not to share.

Frankly, I confess here that I wanted to refuse, but also did not know how to turn them down; so I agreed in the end, knowing that again we wouldn't be leaving in the morning until noon. Kords sighed and rolled her eyes, but presented me with no easy way of getting out of this. She was there, of course, as my companion, as society demanded I have.

We were rescued a bell and a half later by Master Bezan, who had been looking for me to ask me some questions about some of the thoughts I had had. When he realised just what was going on, he willingly sat down and assisted me in giving my lessons, for which all were grateful. We passed a further bell brushing them all up on the numbers; how to write them, and therefore read them, and how to use them. I didn't let on, but some of Master B's examples were extremely useful to help ME understand the use of these numbers better. I stored these all away in my mind for future use. Even Kords showed me that she appreciated them as well!

I sometimes spent moments wondering why my head didn't explode with all the matter I was stuffing into it. But I managed a productive late evening and sat back with a sigh and with a wrist rub and a back rub at what felt like just about midnight.

However, by the time the drivers had all been packed off to their beds, I had gone beyond tiredness. With very little encouragement, Master B and I sat down to discuss all sorts of things, like the bunkhouse, overnighting in Bezlet, a more central location for some governing offices, the fears I had for here and for Brayview once some accommodation was provided in Bezlet, and so on.

It was only when Kords let out a big snore that Master B and I realised just how late it was.

I can assure you I had no problems getting to sleep that night.

… … ...

As on the day before, I again spent part of the morning giving some more lessons to anyone who wanted them, and Parry was outside letting others feel what it was like on a frayen with the new saddles in the new positions on the animals.

I was also asked to demonstrate the Beam Lantern and to show my hand mirror once more.

Thus it was that my morning disappeared and we once again loaded us and our belongings onto the wagons and set out on the final leg of our return.

I felt sad, and happy all at the same time, nervous and excited, torn between looking forward and looking back - and I am sure these feelings were duplicated in the others to a smaller or larger degree.

As a result of all this, I was quite emotional when I parted, the last of us all, from Uncle Steef. He got an extra affectionate hug, and he squeezed me back fondly.

Another goodbye that had to be endured.

But on the whole, this one was the least emotional of them all.

We regained the road and headed immediately up the stretch that was the steepest we had encountered.

All six frayen were being ridden up the steep incline that angled across the rock face, to reduce the load on the dranakh as much as we could. Indeed I had two carry bags dangling across my beast, as did each of the others. With the lightened loads, the wagons made what the wagoneers claimed was their best time ever getting up that final steeper slope to the foot of Strettalm and the turn to the left there.

Once that turn had been negotiated, we knew it was a directly straight road from there all the way to the Cistern at the top of town, and so a new feeling settled upon us, one of excited expectation. This was the final leg of our adventure and suddenly we were all eager for it to be over.

I nudged Bettayla again and indicated Molly with my chin. She looked over at her as did the other two in sight of Molly's face.

For Molly had THAT look once more.


up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What look?

If it is 'that' look, I thought she had been cured.

I think Julina will look back upon this part of life as being quaint by the time she is 50. I would guess Palarand will look hugely different and traveling by Frayen back will start to get rarer. It will feel a bit like the transition in the US around the late 1800s at the rate things are changing.

I really love these type of

I really love these type of stories. It is generally the "everyday" folk that can give you a greater picture of life in and around places, rather than just relying on the upper strata of society. Julina has really proven herself and has shown that she has wonderful talents to work with and for others. Except for the society she presently lives in, I could easily see her becoming the town leader (mayor) or even a district leader. I do wish she could be or could be introduced to Lady Garia, as I am sure Garia would immediately recognize Julina's uniqueness and put her to work for her.

Can't agree more

Julina is the perfect story teller to introduce Garia's society more fully. Who knows what she will do as she grows up? Will she stay in Blackstone all the rest of her life? Probably, but why not have her grow up and performing special missions for Milady if necessary? That tale can be set like 5 or 10 years in the future and could help illustrate the consequences of Garia's society, absent further writings on Garia's life from either Penny or somebody else.

Hi GR

Thanks for your comments, they are always welcome.

Julina has indeed been the method to document the changes in Blackstone. I have plans for her future, but wouldn't want to give away anything - so no spoilers! OK?

Maybe you would like to see her married off to Master Bezan? Or Master Yarling?
Maybe she could be a Palarandi Mata Hari, in the service of the King?
But I don't think I have to hold back when I say that he does NOT stay in Blackstone. There have been several comments in the tales from "Older Julina" which infer she has seen much more of the world, and indeed has settled elsewhere, and returns to Blackstone for visits.

I really do appreciate comments, and I thank you for them.

I find it quite ironical that the posting I have made that has received the highest number of hits, has the least number of comments and the least number of 'Kudos'.

Go figure!

Have a good weekend

Joolz

No, not the marrying part hon

I was guessing she would spend at least a five more years helping to shape and build her community, for her family's sake as much as anything I think. And yes, I am glad to hear she will not be stuck in a relative backwater, she has far more potential than that of course. Oh! I can guess where she is heading ^_^ I will keep my guess to myself!

Shevesty?

Ow! A shevesty match between the Count's men and the miners... that would be a serious grudge match, to be sure!

Make sure there are enough healers present!

Though I imagine the spectators will have a good time, and we can all guess which side they'll be cheering for!

Another wonderful chapter, full of life and incident.

Penny