The Princes proposal

Printer-friendly version

The princes proposal
By Kellen

This was another harebrained idea that kept nagging at me. I am not sure if this will be a good story at all, but this is a small part. Does anything think this can be made into a larger story? I would like to know
1485
The boy had just outlined his plan to the imposing figure before him. The trip there was arduous and fraught with danger. Braving the storms and a typhoon to cross the channel to meet this man in Bristol. It had to be done and then Richard told of him of what he wanted.

Henry almost laughed, “That’s the stupidest thing I ever heard. Are you serious, boy? You can’t be. It can’t be done!”

He threw up his hands, “Sure it can. Accept me in place of my sister and they will have no choice. It has to be done. You can’t marry my sister, when she was told her mother was offering her hand to you, she panicked and ran away. She still blames you for my brothers death in the tower. Accept me and it can be done. My sister Elizabeth refuses and disappeared.”

Henry knew Richard was serious. When he first was told of the stupid plan, he thought it was a joke. “It cant be done, the contract was signed and I accepted your sister Elizabeth. I don’t know how it can be changed, I cant accept you. Its not signed by your parents.”

Richard smiled and showed him the rolled up parchment paper and showed him. “I marked my sister’s name out, and added mine. You are watching me sign the contact with my mother’s signature above. Henry, do you accept my hand.”

This was still a stupid plan. “Do you want this, Richard?”

“No, I don’t want to be a princess or queen. But, someone has to marry you and my sister ran away. If this marriage doesn’t happen then our families will keep fighting. I will do this if it is required. The country will have no choice but to honor the union between our two family’s, Yorks’s and Lancaster’s. You sail to England with your army, defeat the upstart who killed my brother, claim me and we will win. Now all I have to do is go tell my mother, see if she can make me into a convincing princess in place of my sister. Wonder what she will think of this.”

Henry still thought it was stupid. But he took Richards hand and said, "I accept your proposal"

Richard of York went back into his ship to sail home. He was wondering what his mother would think of the whole idea. How would he get his mother to make him into a convincing image of Elizabeth.

****

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting. I do hope you

Interesting. I do hope you decide to continue this story for a while. Already you have a 'will she or won't she' issue set at the end of this short chapter that is keeping the readers wanting more.
Hugs, Janice Lynn

You also might enjoy….

persephone's picture

A similarly themed book set about fifty years later with an interesting twist in the tail.
Have a look on Amazon for The Gambit by HW Coyle.

Set in Tudor England and inspired by Mark Twain’s ‘The Prince and the Pauper,’ this work of historical fiction tells of a young Lady Elizabeth, eager to experience life beyond the palace and Henry Frye, an orphan boy seeking to flee the brutal conditions that are his lot in life. Though born into very different worlds, they are so close in age and looks they could be twins.

What begins as a case of mistaken identity evolves into an adventure for the two youths, one that is as dangerous as it is exciting in ways neither could have ever imagined. The freedom the Lady Elizabeth enjoys while assuming the role of a boy is tempered by the cruel realities of battle as she is taken on as a squire by Sir Thomas Shaw, a landless knight and soldier of fortune who believes she is Henry, a lad Thomas often looks after when he is not on campaign.

When it is discovered Elizabeth is missing, Sir Robert, the Earl of Bedford and Elizabeth’s guardian dragoons Henry into a deception intended to keep the King from knowing he has failed in his duties. What should have been a brief respite from a life of deprivation for Henry becomes something more as he is drawn up into court intrigues that are just as vicious and unforgiving as the back alleys of London.

As the two youths tread their way along uncharted paths, the English King arranges for the betrothal of the Lady Elizabeth to the French Dauphin. Sir Robert, who passed Henry off as the Elizabeth must do all he can to keep that from occurring least his role in the deception be discovered. When she learns of this, Elizabeth, aided Thomas races back to England in an effort to undo a comedy of errors that threatens to turn deadly.

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

thank you

I would like to continue this but im not sure. Could young prince richard, having lost his official princehood actually pass as his sister Elizabeth convincingly to stand in as the bride for the wedding to Henry tutur. Is there any way I could write that to dispense enough disbelief to make this story remotely believable.

Princess bride...

has good potential. I like what you have written so far. Please continue the story.
Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors